#17 PROSPECT: ANTON SLEPYSHEV

Anton Slepyshev should be having a strong KHL season in 2013-14 but his icetime has been cut back and his boxcars are not close to expectations. Slepyshev will turn 20 in May, and there are clouds on the horizon.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER SEVENTEEN ON THE LIST

• December 2004: L Alexei Mikhnov
  • December 2005: L Alexei Mikhnov
  • December 2006: C Jonas Almtorp
  • December 2007: G Jeff Deslauriers
  • December 2008: D Johan Motin
  • December 2009: D Cody Wild
  • December 2010: L Teemu Hartikainen
  • December 2011: D Dillon Simpson
  • December 2012: D Colten Teubert

This is fun, looking back to the early part of the 2000′s to see what was happening. Mikhnov was off the pace badly by 2004 and it wouldn’t get better. Almtorp was a guy I always rated and he’s still going in the Swedish Elite League so he’s had a career, and Deslauriers made it to the NHL for a time (most recently 2011-12). Motin had 1 NHL game, Hartikainen is still Oiler property and Dillon Simpson has gone from humble beginnings to becoming an actual NHL prospect.

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Nikolai Prokhorkin Anton SlepyshevPronman: Slepyshev was passed over in last year’s draft, mostly due to signability concerns. Despite being ranked 17th in last year’s Hockey Prospectus draft rankings, he falls to 45th this season, simply due to the depth of the draft class. He is an above-average skater, with agility and free movement, as his shiftiness makes him hard to check. He has a plus shot and he knows it, as his mentality is often shoot-first, even from distance. He can still make plays, and he does not have tunnel vision, but his playmaking skills are not his best element. His physical game has progressed, and he has added strength since last season. He can protect pucks moderately well. He will display physical effort, although it could be better at times. He also needs to work on his defensive game.
  • ISS Scouting Report: “Perhaps the best player that was most shockingly left off the draft board last year, Slepyshev came back strong this year. A talented two-way player with good spirit, Slepyshev has great hands and can really make things happen from the perimeter with the puck. He shows good work ethic, can play physical and also can be a real pest to play against. He shows good power elements in his game and can protect the puck well and isn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas of the ice. Saw good minutes for Russia at this year’s WJC and should be in line to be one of their top weapons for next year’s event.”

ANTON SLEPYSHEV NHLE, BY SEASON

PLAYER TOTAL NHL E (.78)
SLEPYSHEV 2011-12 KHL 39, 4-3-7 82, 7-4-11
SLEPYSHEV 2012-13 KHL 26, 7-2-9 82, 17-5-22
SLEPYSHEV 2013-14 KHL 25, 3-3-6 82, 7-8-15

Slepyshev’s offense is down this season, and his TOI is also down (from 12:40 last season to 10:15 this season), both are bad signs. Hartikainen is eating his lunch, as are others on the roster. I think there’s a prospect here, but this is a player whose offense is a major portion of the overall value. If he’s not impressive in the boxcars, he’s not going to make the NHL.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2013: 7
  • Winter 2013: 17

In the summer look, I said “I may have him too high–we’ll see–but there’s not much doubt this guy can play”. However, Slepyshev isn’t earning icetime and that’s not a great sign for his future. He appears on the Russian list for the World Juniors, and maybe that’ll give us an indication about where he is as a prospect (tournament of small sample sizes warning applies) but right now this pick doesn’t look as promising as in summer.

Considering what they gave up to get him—the Oilers acquired picks #57, #88 (Slepyshev) and #96 (Kyle Platzer) from Los Angeles for #37 overall (Valentin Zykov)—one of these prospects (there are 5 in total, Oilers dealt #57 for the picks that turned into Bogdan Yakimov, Aidan Muir and Jackson Houck) needs to turn out in a big way. Right now, Yakimov looks like he’s a far better bet than Slepyshev.

SLEPYSHEV ETA

Хоккей. Молодежный ЧМ. Матч Россия - Канада

The Oilers have avoided Russia over the years, and the Mikhnov disaster (he didn’t come because Visa, he didn’t come because girl, he arrived and needed glasses, and then he set foot on the ice and moved by sundial) kept them away for ages. The Yakupov selection seemed to open up the Iron Curtain 22 years after everyone else walked through, but a guy like Slepyshev is going to have to show a lot more than he has so far in order to make the grade.

42 Responses to "#17 PROSPECT: ANTON SLEPYSHEV"

1. Ribs says:

Disappointing.

With Slappy’s disappointing year I’m surprised that didn’t rate Giant Bogdan Yakimov (sp?) higher.

Also,

Ferraro was on Gregor’s show (Struddy hosting) at around 3:30 today.

Do yourself a favour and dig up the podcast.

My Cliff notes of it:

(talking about the PP)

Can MacBold fire Bucky and hire Ray?

Always has the gold.

3. nycoil says:

How’s Zykov doing for comparison’s sake? His boxcars look like he is in-line with last year, ie, not showing a lot of progression, either? Is there more to it than that?

Woodguy:

I think 6th is pretty good for Yakimov.

nycoil:

Zykov’s numbers are about the same, but Slepyshev is one year older.

Lowetide: I think 6th is pretty good for Yakimov.

Thanks.

Missed that one.

Woodguy: Thanks.

Missed that one.

Ha! Pat will be along to ask where I’ve buried Smid soon. :-)

8. OilClog says:

My one concern with Ray’s conclusion about what’s wrong with our Powerplay is.. When we had 5 “me first” forward they were scoring. If they were all me first .. Wouldn’t they shoot more? Or is passing endlessly being me first?

Lowetide: Ha! Pat will be along to ask where I’ve buried Smid soon.

I can’t find Smid anywhere.

Must be pretty deep.

MacT didn’t give Mikhnov a chance when he got here. MacT hates big men who look slow. Mikhnov was a precursor to MacT’s Penner hate.

And the farm system was all fouled up because of the 2005 lockout, so Mikhnov just went home.

11. RexLibris says:

Cap set to rise to $71 million and change next season.

That should free up some money for Hemsky and a UFA or two. Also means that by the time the J. Schultz and Yakupov second contracts need to kick in that we could be looking at somewhere between $75 and $80 million as a cap ceiling.

Funny part of this is that it should let some of the air out of the “take on bad contracts for draft picks/prospects” balloon that fans of rebuilding teams (ourselves included) always float.

12. speeds says:

13. RexLibris says:

speeds,

Too soon to tell for me.

People would have traded Moroz for a 4th round pick at times last year, now he looks like he might have some upside.

Ask me again in 2018.

;)

RexLibris:
    speeds,

Too soon to tell for me.

Ask me again in 2018.

;)

I like the fact that the management group listened to the scouts and took more picks later based on depth. It’s a risk, but if your scouts say 5 bullets are worth more then I like the risk.

15. spoiler says:

speeds: If you had it to do over, would you prefer the Oilers still make both trade downs, or just select Petan (or someone else) at 37OV?

I was big on Petan and Zykov going into the draft, but I still like the idea behind the trade… that when there isn’t a lot of difference between the success rate of the prospects, it’s more important to have more rolls of the dice. Would you’d rather have 5 rolls at 12% or 1 roll at 20%? Seems to make even more sense to do so in a deep draft.

And I like Yakimov and Platzer too.

16. spoiler says:

Woodguy: “You have 5 guys who think they are the first option, so no one goes to the net and no one goes and gets the puck if the shot is saved or deflected. They are one and done too often because they are all waiting for the other guy to get them the puck”

So freakin true. I mentioned the PP in the other thread but this synopsis really seems to nail the dynamic. I’ve seen Hall look off Yak too a couple of times when he was the best option. Maybe that’s a trust issue, I don’t know. The PP only seems to come together when there’s some urgency. Early in the games it looks exactly like what Ferraro is describing.

17. Pouzar says:

I was on heavy meds watching the game on Saturday night….couldn’t keep my eyes open. I was watching the game on my laptop and dozed off around midway through the game. I woke up right at the instance Hudler scored in OT. Why does god gate me?

Anyways, I know we need defenseman (duh) but Jezzuz it’s depressing looking at the point totals for our d-men…keerist.

18. RexLibris says:

The whole thing is a gamble. You do your research, check backgrounds, run tables on development projections according to past, position, training, family background, etc. Then you make the call and at some point leave it up to the prospect themself to continue to grow.

Turing a 37th overall pick into five picks in a lower rank isn’t the worst way to approach things in a deep draft. I suspect if you ran the numbers the Oilers felt they had a slight, though perhaps not insignificant, chance of coming out with a player based on this approach over a single pick.

I’m still annoyed that players like Ryan Jones or Ryan Whitney weren’t translated into draft picks, even late ones, as that would have only served to improve MacTavish’s hand.

All else aside, we must wait.

When I looked at the draft history of teams from ’79 to ’08 there was an occasional correlation between number of picks and success of finding a player, but what I noticed was that, when it happened at all, it would peak at 10 and then drop again. Some teams went hog-wild calling sometimes as many as 17 names in a year (Chicago in 2004).

So MacTavish trading for more picks is a good plan, in my book, from where he began.

19. Pouzar says:

Sorry to hijack and sorry again if it’s been discussed earlier but did anyone catch Stauffer today say “Well I got news for you…one of the top 6 forwards will be moved”. It was in response to a caller asking about acqquiring a #1 d man if I’m not mistaken. He mentioned the guys that WOULDN’T be moved and Yak was not one of the names he mentioned. Very interesting.

20. Young Oil says:

Pouzar:
    Sorry to hijack and sorry again if it’s been discussed earlier but did anyone catch Stauffer today say“Well I got news for you…one of the top 6 forwards will be moved”. It was in response to a caller asking about acqquiring a #1 d man if I’m not mistaken. He mentioned the guys that WOULDN’T be moved and Yak was not one of the names he mentioned. Very interesting.

Which names were mentioned as being safe though?

21. Pouzar says:

Young Oil: Which names were mentioned as being safe though?

Hall, Eberle, Nuge for sure…and that maybe it…I only heard it once but Yak’s name was not mentioned.

22. nez29 says:

To get a bona fide stud d-man , who could fetch that kind of asset? \I don’t wanna dump Yak this soon…I have stated this before ,but Eberle is the one who could score the kind of player the \oilers crave/need/gotta have. Gagner and a pick/? Maybe…but I doubt it.

23. stevezie says:

“Who management would like to trade” isn’t that useful on it’s own. Who is being offered? Who is the GM doing the asking? What’s the difference between our opinions of his guys and his opinions of our guys? How does that compare to the differences in perception happening on line 2?

Trouble is there is no NHL bank setting an exchange rate on these guys.

It’s still fun to make fantasy trades and I encourage it, but I wouldn’t waste time wondering who the OIlers consider “untouchable”. If the right D gets offered and the GM insists on Eberle over Yak, then I suspect nobody.

24. Pouzar says:

Young Oil: Which names were mentioned as being safe though?

3rd half hour – 13 min mark.

25. stevezie says:

nez29,

Are we chasing an established stud D? Pretty pricey. I think we’re better off trying to get lucky with finding the guy who will surprise people next year. There was a time when Subban and OEL were well thought of but not Norris candidates. Who is that guy now? Doesn’t have to be young- underrated for any reason will work.

It’s easy to say “I’d rather pay for 2011′s OEL than 2013′s Erhoff”, but sometimes this thinking leads to trading Neal for Goligoski. Still the path I’d take though, let’s swing for the fences.

Me? I’m hoping the Rangers tank and we pry Girardi out somehow. Would he resign here? For enough money he would french kiss his brother. If he’s willing to keep the contract short I would just offer a gargantuan overpay. This team needs respectability.

*** I am going off my memory of Girardi, I haven’t looked into him this year. I have heard it’s not good, and if it’s so terrible that I’ve embarrassed myself… well, if looking stupid in front of a bunch of people who’s names I don’t know is the worst thing that happens to me all day then I’ll fall asleep smiling.

26. fifthcartel says:

27. Pouzar says:

fifthcartel: Interesting Stauffer didn’t mention Gagner or Yakupov. I’m surprised he said one will get traded as opposed to might.

Yeah he was pretty adamant…intriguing.

28. jp says:

OilClog:

Great point. They might not be going to the dirty areas enough, but they aren’t playing selfish per se. And it’s also basically the same group as last year, but with different results. I agree Ferraro’s conclusion sounds possible, but these guys didn’t just suddenly turn into “me first” players over the summer. Unless you think Perron is an anchor, or that they key to the PP was Horcoff in front, Whitney on the point, and Belanger doing whatever the fuck he did, then there has to be another explanation.

29. jp says:

Pouzar:

Is there a clear consensus of who the top 6 forwards are? Not trying to be difficult, but I count a group of 7 who are top 6 forwards (including Hemsky and Yak here). Not that Hemsky is a possibility to fetch a stud D, but based on scoring and TOI this season Yakupov hasn’t been a top 6 F. I have no idea if Stauffer could be feeling the same way…

30. oilersfan says:

Last week a caller asked what would Stauffer think of Evander Kane for Yak. His answer was “you aren’t the first person to ask that including some oiler higher ups”

Also today he kept talking about how the oilers’ star players are too young being 20-22 and the best players in the league are in the higher age group 23-28. Then he said at the end of the show ” I am not making excuses I am giving you a clue as to what is happening”

So you heard it here first, yak for Evander

Might make sense for both teams…

Doesn’t get you a stud dman but it gets a scoring power forward with a pretty high ceiling

31. oilersfan says:

Personally I would also see if nj would trade zajac for gagner

32. spoiler says:

Well all the GMs are down in Pebble Beach right now… sometimes when you get this many balding men into one room, someone gets pregnant.

To be fair, Bob didn’t put any time frame into his comments and he might be thinking along the lines of “at some point”. But it didn’t sound like it.

WIN, FLA, BUF and possibly NYI, PHO are the teams most likely to trade a top defenseman, IMHO. NYR might have been in that group, if it hadn’t been for the lickin’ Staal’s noodle got on the weekend. The Oilers are also not the only team looking for a dman.

33. fifthcartel says:

oilersfan,

That would make sense as they could easily slot Perron back at RW. Man a line with Kane-whoever-Perron would be enough to keep me watching for years.

Well if they are going to trade with Winnipeg for crying out loud get a useful defenseman while you’re at it.

35. jp says:

godot10:
    MacT didn’t give Mikhnov a chance when he got here.MacT hates big men who look slow.Mikhnov was a precursor to MacT’s Penner hate.

This is likely all true, but it doesn’t look like Mikhnov was a player regardless. During the AHL mess he only managed 27-6-12-18 (at age 24), and he didn’t exactly tear it up in the KHL through his 20′s (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=51224). MacT was right, he just wasn’t that good of a hockey player. And he was glacier slow.

36. Hammers says:

It could be J.Schultz or Petry + ?????? for a bigger older tougher stud “D” . Plus it could be Petry & say Gags for a “D” plus a forward . My gut says multiple players not a 1 for 1 . Who need forwards & “D” . NYI , Carolina , Florida ,Columbus , Ottawa . The Oilers are not the only team under performing . Toronto would probably like a center so maybe Gags . All kinds of possibilities .

37. SpotTheLoon says:

I thought after listening to Stauffer that he is just being practical. In order to land a 1D, you have to give something of value and the only way that would happen would be to trade a top 6 forward. I think that people are reading too much into his comment. That’s my impression anyhow.

38. jp says:

Hammers:
    It could be J.Schultz or Petry +?????? for a bigger older tougher stud “D” . Plus it could be Petry & say Gags for a “D” plus a forward . My gut says multiple players not a 1 for 1 . Who need forwards & “D” . NYI , Carolina , Florida ,Columbus , Ottawa . The Oilers are not the only team under performing . Toronto would probably like a center so maybe Gags . All kinds of possibilities .

Don’t forget about the 1st and Klefbom/Marincin/Nurse. Lots of possibilities, and I agree that it probably won’t be a 1 for 1. The team has the assets to get basically any D in the league, let’s hope MacT makes the right trade if and when it happens.

39. jp says:

Hartikainen certainly has eaten Slepyshev’s lunch. Just curious LT, I assume you haven’t included Hatrikainen among the prospects because he’s at 52 NHL GP (you’re cutoff is 50, right?). Where would you put him if he was still eligible?

His 34-10-14-24 boxcars don’t jump off the page at you, kind of like his AHL numbers, but that does put him in the top 30 KHL scorers. I’m not sure where to find the current NHLE is for the KHL (it appears to be 0.76 based on the Slepyshev numbers – correct me if I’m wrong). That would put Hartikainen at a 44 point pace this year. The Oilers could surely find a place for that in the lineup. It would be great to see him come back to NA in the summer – the team could sure use his size, and Smyth isn’t going to be around forever.

jp:

Yes, I haven’t included Hartikainen, Lander, Horak and any other young players who have played more than 50 NHL games. Next season Belov and Arcobello will be gone from this list for the same reason.

I would have had Hartikainen at #12.

41. nelson88 says:

I know there have been all kinds of denials and valid reasons why the Preds won’t trade Webber but still wouldn’t be shocked to see it happen around the holiday or olympic “trade freeze”.

Why it may not be so far fetched.
    - Oiler braintrust wants notthing more than another “Pronger” trade, will pay the moon and have the assets to do it. The cap space required is also one of the only valid reasons MacT could have for the peculiar timing and minimal return on the Smid trade.
    - Seth Jones is going to be a stud and the Preds are a D factory (Jossi, etc.). They can trade from a position of strength and are smart enough to realize Webber’s value will never be higher
    - Nashville continues to struggle in the standings and is the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league
    - In 3 years time are the Preds going to want to have $20M+ tied up in Webber, Rinne, Jones and that is before you factor in Jossi making $4M.

I believe Webber will be traded eventually and Nashville is finding a balance between maximizing the return on their big bonus payments and time mentoring Jones while still getting maximum value for the trade.

Yak, 2014 1st. Petry or Schultz Jr, Klefbom or Marincin

42. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

“Can MacBold fire Bucky and hire Ray?”

Yes please!