ABOUT LAST NIGHT

A lot of venom last night and today from Oiler fans and I wanted to post something on it this morning. First, Zack Kassian. He’s clearly a meathead but I can’t get too worked up about him because he’s just not that good a hockey player. To be a genuine villain, he would need to be useful. Maybe that’s what we’re seeing here, Kassian becoming a bigger part of the team, but he has miles to go before becoming a Bertuzzi player. Until then, I suggest we wait a week and see if he’s eating popcorn from the gondola.

Second, this is us. The Edmonton Oilers aren’t a good team this year, they are going to get smoked by all the west coast hockey clubs and we all know this is true. We talked about this before the Bruin game, after the Bruin game and before last night. The Edmonton Oilers currently are outmanned and outmatched and the beatings will continue in the shadow of Buzz and Woody tomorrow. That doesn’t mean they are not progressing, but when you begin the march from the gates of Hell finding daylight is a long journey.

Remember those days when the Oilers would roll into Vancouver, depress Tom Watt by killing the Canucks and then head over to Glenn Anderson’s parents house for fresh salmon and fun? Well, guess what: the current Oilers are those old Canucks teams (without a young Cam Neely) and the only cure for that is time. Craig MacTavish has been on the job for a few short months, and his fix (Perron, Gordon, Ference, Belov) needs some additional time to add the next group (in summer,  most likely).

Dallas Eakins is going about the work of getting this thing turned around, and until Chris Pronger 2005 arrives there are going to be long days and nights.

The current Canucks are NOT the 1983 Oilers, and we know this to be true. Zack Kassian is NOT the villain like Messier or Linseman and last night’s event would have been considered mild on any other night. The Oilers are the 98-pound weakling and everyone is kicking sand in their faces and stealing the girl. That isn’t news, it’s been going on for a long time.

Keep your powder dry, wait for the right moment. When help is offered, pull the trigger and improve the team. Rinse, repeat. Get good players, keep good players. It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it.

We are here.

67 Responses to "ABOUT LAST NIGHT"

Bohologo:
    That’s all very reasonable, but what am I going to do now with all this tar and feathers?Jeez.

Well, there’s always the government!!!!

2. Pouzar says:

Kassian should be sucking his food through a straw today. But oh well.

I was listening to TSN1290 (WPG) and Lawless was talking about Garbutt from Dallas and how in the last meeting he was running roughshod all over the Jets. I all of sudden became so pissed off that we can’t develop or acquire these types of guys. We have one guy plays with piss and vinegar and tries to aggravate the other team. The rest are f^ckin sheep. Pisses me off. I can’t wait for Moroz to arrive and Nurse to start planting some Grade A composite into the backs of these pukes like Kassian.

3. flyfish1168 says:

LT your are correct. I can’t agree with you more. But I’m sure everyone of us would have liked to take Kassian behind the wood shed and pile drive his F’en head into a pile of $hit. Then turn around and tie the sisters hair together and speed punish them till they cry uncle. There I fell somewhat satisfied now

4. stener says:

I know the season is lost, I know the oil are basement dwellers in the west, and I know trading for team needs is much easier said than done. Still, it’s an absolute kick in the stones to see an effort like last night topped off with Kassian’s clownery

I’m nowhere near being a professional athlete, but I’ve played competitive sports for my whole life. From my experience, there are two types of attitudes that predominantly exist on a losing team: the guys who give up and stop caring and the guys who demand more of themselves and their teammates no matter how shitty things get

Now I’d love to get a 1D, a goalie I can rely on every night, and a 2C that actually knows where the slot is located in the d-zone. But do you know what I’d love even more? To watch a team that looks like it gives a shit on a nightly basis.

Teams that give a shit don’t get outshot 40-19. Teams that give a shit don’t tolerate being embarrassed by the likes of Kassian. Teams that give a shit don’t go through 4 coaches in 5 seasons.

Every team is bound to lay a few eggs over the course of a season but it starts to wear thin when you see little to no fight back after 8 years of perpetual failure.

It doesn’t look like help is on the way anytime soon. I think the Oilers should start working harder for the exorbitant amounts of money they’re being paid.

PS: Apologies on the language.

Stener: They were not good, but honestly I’m surprised people are as angry as they are about last night. I should talk, the last two times EDM has lost to Calgary I’ve been murderous, but for me the loss to Vancouver was a perfect storm. Second game of btb, Vancouver is going now and the Oilers have no answer for the sedins, Kesler and a terrific defense in VCR.

Plus strombone is on.

6. justDOit says:

Bohologo:

7. smellyglove says:

I was at the game last night, I was late and came in with 13 minutes left to go in the 2nd. Normally I am one of the first to criticize the Oilers but I have to say that, in person, they didn’t look that bad for the 2nd half of the game. They had long periods of possession and doubled their shots on net – Luongo stood tall on a number of AA scoring chances. At that point in the game it was 1-0. If Eberle or Perron buries one, the complexion of the match is changed.

I find that I’m always praising Luongo in the midst of Canucks fans at Rogers because they run hot and cold on him. If only we had their problems.

8. LMHF#1 says:

They put themselves in this position. They deserve all the venom they receive.

9. Chris says:

Does anyone else feel like irregardless of whether or not it hurts Ferrence’s feelings David Perron should really be the captain of this team?

10. Gret99zky says:

The Oilers don’t really give a shit most nights.

This team is no where near strong/tough enough.

Imagine a bench clearing brawl between the Oilers and any other team in the league.

The Oilers would be lucky to win 3 of the 20 fights.

Time is not going to solve the Oilers problems.

Getting good two bonifide top NHL calibre DMen would undeniably help.

As would a real starting goaltender.

I agree with getting good players and keeping good players but they can’t all be the same bloody skilled smurfs we have right now.

Trade anyone not named Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for defence and balance.

The fan base has been waiting 8 years and the weakling still weighs in at 98lbs.

11. TeeVee says:

Bubye LaBarbera

12. Gret99zky says:

traded for futures.

magic beans in the bush.

nice.

13. Gret99zky says:

sail on, Spokane Chief.

14. bookje says:

Uh, So with the lack of NHL defenseman They trade Smid and now serious questions in net, they trade LaBarbara.

Something else brewing?

15. bookje says:

Bryzgalov must be back and they figured that they would lose LaBarbara on waivers.

16. justDOit says:

Bye bye bye

Bye bye LaBarb

17. TheOtherJohn says:

bookje:

Something else brewing?

Yeah, just like Smid was traded to clear cap room to sign Brzygalov (except it wasn’t)

18. TheOtherJohn says:

bookje:

The Oilers routinely lose players on waivers……..NO THEY DON’T

19. justDOit says:

bookje:

Something else brewing?

I’m guessing Khabby’s retirement, for starters. With both Bryz and BTO getting healthier, something’s got to give.

And future considerations from the Hawks is better than what they paid for LaBarb, which was only a contract offer.

LMHF#1:
    They put themselves in this position. They deserve all the venom they receive.

I think this is my answer as well.

Not venom towards the players, but at Lowe and Katz who fiddled while v4.1 did nothing but gather ping pong balls.

Venom towards the MSM and radio guys who preached patience when we screamed that you need actual NHL players to support the kids while v4.1 signed Eager, Barker, Fraser, Petrell (twice!), Foster, Fistric.

Then trading for Brown, Tuebert, Kotalik, Vandermeer, etc.

Everyone was preaching:

1) Tank
    2) Collect high draft picks
    3) ????????????
    4) STANLEY!!

We saw this coming from miles away and screamed about it, only to be told to hush up because we weren’t NHL GMs and didn’t know “their plan” and how the hell could we know what to do.

Then we get told that:

I think it’s safe to say that half the general manager’s in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now.

No Kevin, they’d like 4 or 5 of your players, your roster is actually an unbalanced dumpster fire.

And of course:

” I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”

Yes there’s a fucking concern.

You’ve been in charge of this organization since 2000.

During that time the Oilers made the playoffs 3 times.

Twice in the first 3 years of taking over Sather’s team.

Both of those times the Oilers were out in the 1st round.

This is the 13th season with you in charge or at the top of the organization

13 years, made the post season 3 times, made it past the first round once.

Once.

Yes, there’s a concern.

You green lit a scorched earth campaign and came out the other side with some better young men on the roster, but not with a hockey team.

So yes, there’s a concern that the NHL Executive with the worst record since 2000 is still employed at the top of the organization that I unfortunately cheer for.

There is venom because all of this was avoidable, even while tanking, but the people in charge of the organization are not smart.

I have some faith in MacT but the overhaul he needs to do to this roster will take years and I’ll have 8 straight years out of playoffs, a NHL record, already and not sure if I have much more in me to give to the fandom of this team.

21. PerryK says:

Petry and the Schultz boys have to go! So does Samwise. Although he was one of the less worse players last night, Jones must go too. Dubnyk will never become a good NHL goalie; lack of talent and athleticism. Gotta go. I, for one, am not going to miss Labarbara.

Get what you can for these. Do the removals in a staged fashion over the next 3 months.

There is your rebuild stage 2!

Cheers!

For the record.

There are maybe 5 team in the NHL who can play BOS at home one night then VAN on the road the next night and expect to be competitive in the 2nd game (they’re all in the Western Conference) so I’m not pissed about the loss.

I’m pissed because hockey teams are built from the net out (or at the very least on a core of quality D) and this team is years away from that and last night really highlighted it for me with the juxtaposition of VAN’s D vs. EDM’s D.

It didn’t have to be this way.

23. Southern Oil says:

LT – please book WG & Kevin Lowe on your radio show together for about an hour. I think a few of us would listen in!

As per Mirtle:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 30m
    Blackhawks acquire Jason LaBarbera from the Oilers, in exchange for future considerations.

Tyler nails the move with this tweet:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 30m
    BLACKHAWKS FIX GOALTENDING MISTAKE THEY MADE BY SIGNING OILERS GOALTENDING MISTAKE BY TRADING FOR OILERS GOALTENDING MISTAKE

Bryz must be coming off the IR and trading Doobie is out for now (until the deadline I’d guess) unless a backup for Bryz is coming back.

25. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    …unless a backup for Bryz is coming back.

Khabby?

26. fifthcartel says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected Tweets 1m
    Rumblings of another trade coming down the pipeline

I know I know, but hey I’ll take any sort of blind hope at this point.

27. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    As per Mirtle:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 30m

Tyler nails the move with this tweet:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 30m

I think LaBarbara is a reasonable backup at a good price. A couple of bad games here doesn’t change that. He seems to have found his game again.

28. Bulging Twine says:

Thank you Lowetide.

Bra and panties tweets:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil
    Rumblings of another trade coming down the pipeline

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil
    Dubnyk and Gagner in play as per Garfield

bookje: I think LaBarbara is a reasonable backup at a good price.A couple of bad games here doesn’t change that.He seems to have found his game again.

He has a long track record of being a quality back up.

A handful of bad games for the Oilers doesn’t change that.

The Tyler thing was too rich to ignore.

31. TheOtherJohn says:

WG

With a balanced take on why we are so shitty

Alas I am never that reasonable

Did not buy into the “we’re 6-3-1 playing the worse teams in the league and everything is now all good”. Have been saying for a very long time that we need to see how we do against the big boys to know how we are progressing.

Watching us play an absolutely depleted Bruins team, then a real WC strong man it is easy to see we are 3 years away from competing with the big boys: Chicago, STL, SJS, LAK & Vancouver. 3 years!! To get out of the West

This management group is a complete abomination.

No NHL top 15 goalie: check; no first pairing D (left or right): check; (worse the candidates for those slots are 2-3-4 years away); and a gaping hole at 2 C: check.Or at least a gaping hole until Gagner learns how to play D. Gags did, though, teach Eberle how to skate the length of the ice on a breakaway and check no one. Thanks for that educational moment.

Talented offense 1st wingers, Nuge.. and everyone likes Nuge, Perron and Gordon.

At pro level that’s what we’ve got.

On farm no one is knocking the ball out of the park- except Omark and the organization likes Tom Gilbert more than they like Omark. And they absolutely hate Gilbert!. Fedun, Marincin and Klefbom may be able to play 3rd pairing minutes here next year. On a bad team.

So other than that everything is good

A couple of 30 Thoughts ago Friedman reported on Buffalo— yes those total complete losers- Buffalo. They are using the GM search to bring in lots of AGM’s for “job interviews” to pick their brains as to what their organization is doing. . What is Chicago, LA STL etc doing.

What does Lowe do:hires MacT without an interview process of any kind: that is a rookie GM (with zero experience in management) …… Who in turn very very clearly talked about bold moves, ability to improve team quickly. Moreover no one else in the 30/30/29/24 organization was let go. And this is not a rant on MacT who may actually work out in 3 years

Quote is here:

“9. The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch confirmed the Hotstove Tonight report that Senators assistant GM Tim Murray will get an interview with Buffalo Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine about the GM vacancy. Despite this season’s struggles, there’s a lot to like about Ottawa’s building process. There is a method to LaFontaine’s expanding interview list — a form of industrial espionage. What he’s realized is you should interview as many people as possible to get all the ideas/thoughts about philosophies you can steal. It’s a common practice in sports.”

It is certainly not common with the Oilers. Lafontaine has been running Buffalo 4 weeks and figured out he could look behind the curtains at the back rooms of successful teams via the interview process. Mr “I think I know something about winning” could not even be bothered to interview anyone and people are surprised we have such a shitty organization.

So Buffalo is using the GM to gather information while Lowe just polishes his rings and here we sit 2-3 years from meaningful games. And undersized which we are also told is irrelevant until we have to play Chicago, STL, SJS, LAK & Vancouver. Good thing we don’t have to play those teams if we ever make the playoffs……..oh wait

32. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    Bra and panties tweets:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil
    Rumblings of another trade coming down the pipeline

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil
    Dubnyk and Gagner in play as per Garfield

You can call signing Hanna Barbara a mistake in that they should have gone after someone like Kudobin who would be after the #1 job and not just a back up.

I said as much at the time, but wasn’t unhappy with HB as he’s probably the best career back up in the NHL right now.

justDOit: Other than a being ahead of some signings a couple of years ago, has BnP been particularly insightful recently?

Not sure.

Still fun though.

35. justDOit says:

Woodguy: Not sure.

Still fun though.

Sure, but with a verbal NTC given to Gagner, talk of him on the trade block is unsettling, at some level.

I also like to think about how much better my life would be if I won the lottery, without giving any notion to all the ways it could be worse too. In other words, Gags and Doobie for Quick and Clifford (not the big red dog).

36. DeadmanWaking says:

Let’s hope Shanny tucked a five-game IOU in Kassian’s file to be redeemed when next he drops in for a friendly chat. And the time after that, he digs out the IOU and pantomimes a pair of scissors.

37. justDOit says:

Also, S Thornton gets 15 games.

38. denny33 says:

That doesn’t mean they are not progressing…..

This phrase best captures the internal divide in this lovely forum.

A small minority kept counting the dead canaries on the floor, while a majority kept pointing to stats to prove how much better we were than last year.

We find ourselves looking up at two franchises that are in a state of turmoil – the Calgary Flames and the putrid Florida Panthers.

Even the local media is giving up on the notion that we are progressing or better than last years squad that had ONLY western teams to play against.

Imagine this squad against just western opponents.

To those that think we are progressing, or better coached, we might finish 28th this year.

Exactly what has to happen this year for some to conclude this team – despite better players – is NOT better than last year?

The anger is from people who bought into the spin – no worries, we are a better team, we are showing better, etc, etc, etc…

Godot -whom I mostly do not agree with – has been viciously right about how much better this team is than last years version of the oilers.

In every other city – there would be calls for a COMPLETE house cleaning.

The attitude here seems to be that we just have to let the vaunted management team of
    Klowe, McTavish and the respected Howson to continue the rebuild.

There strikes me as something so different about this latest round of losing and it is the amount of fight in the team. Fans can tell if a team is truly giving it’s all.

There is something so missing from the character of this team -hapless efforts.

That is the anger you are sensing LT.

I have said early – before it became vogue- David Perron sticks out on this team. Nothing to do with his scoring……

This team is missing heart, effort and character.

39. RexLibris says:

I can’t even remember the last time a player was traded solely for “future considerations”.

40. Bushed says:

@Justdoit:

See where this gets us?

Let’s get over the supposed “verbal NTC’” — it means exactly nothing.

41. maudite says:

I’ve firmly been in the “meh” phase for a couple years now. Find myself making less and less effort to actually watch these games. I am amazed I pay much attention at all. Thankfully (or cursedly) the bloggers provide enough interesting perspectives and discussion to make paying attention to absolute ineptitude entertaining. Definitely the last thing I would do is try to call up some friends and see if they wanted to go out for some wings and beers to watch a game…They would likely laugh at me.

I don’t get the Mac T venom. I was pissed at the process and thought it beyond ridiculous to not go through a proper process, but since he’s taken charge, I cannot see what complaints you can level against him. I didn’t want to like the hiring, due to my complete and utter disdain for all things formed at the hand of “six rings”. But he’s done a decent job.

-While I’m glad we didn’t get the goalie at the draft…appears it might have been a good move
    for the here and now

-While I was uncertain about the Perron deal….Looking like a huge win

-While I don’t like the Ference contract….We would be even worse without him and looking at the cap rise, it’s not terrible if he stays somewhat healthy

-Belove/Grebs….1 worked both free

-Gordon…thank jebus

-Possibly a useful player and no cap hit eaten for Horc deal…while we could use him, the guy deserved to be set free.

-Hate the way the coaching scenario was handled…but if I had my way, I would have stayed with Renney and possibly phased him out with Nelson down the line. But “six rings” seems partial to slaughtering a lamb yearly to calm the fans appetites.

The only thing I was suprised about is that anyone, after looking at new conference structures, had anything but a remote belief we had an outside shot at a wild card spot…if EVERYTHING broke right. The ony GM decisioin I haven’t liked yet was wasting roster spots and cap space on Jones, Belov, Grebs and such when we were sailing into the perfect storm with the cap dropping. Gilbert, Boyle, Raymond aka more proven veteran NHL players to be had for any team that possessed pennies on the dollar. Was not impressed with that phase at all.

How many years did Lombardi wander in the wilderness prior to finding his way out? Unless MacT starts making moves of the Tamblowe variety, he has a couple years rope before I start asking too many questions.

Sorry for the long post but as suprised as I am to say it, I just have to say “Please keep MacT seperate from your hatred of the previous half dozen years of desert wandering. He has done nothing to deserve it.

42. justDOit says:

Bushed,

1) Promising a player something, and then taking it away is not going to help the team’s image throughout the league. Given the previous GMs handling of Sourpuss, and other factors of the locality, this won’t help attract UFAs.

2) MacT gives a player a NTC, and then only a few months later, seems to be regretting that decision. You see no problem there? I do. Edit: What’s next? Fire the coach?

43. Bad Seed says:

justDOit,
    t
    Tough nuts to Gagner. Maybe he should try living up to his contract then. Who cares about a team’s image? That’s a loser mentality.

44. justDOit says:

Bad Seed,

Hi Kevin!

45. Ribs says:

Seems to me things have been off for her quite a bit since MacT took over. Or since Mr. Dittrick was let go. Connect some dots if you like.

46. maudite says:

If he makes many more smid like trades:

Then I’ll be right there with you.

If you were going to trade him, he would be a great part of a package deal for something more than what we got. (put solid money that goalie never sees the NHL)

47. VanOil says:

DeadmanWaking:

This is interesting. I think part of Shanny’s job is to prevent the vengeance grudge matches.

I believe in the tradition, or code of the game, had Kassian, after serving his suspension, fought some one in his weight class the next time the Oilers played the incident would be considered closed.

By not honoring this idiosyncratic code he has cast him self a villain, which is not something he will lose sleep over but his taunting actions bring it to another level. He has now shown up Shanny who gave him a soft suspension. He has also shown up Gagner who many Edmonton fans are demanding take his own out side the rules retribution. Not to mention the action being demanded from the Team and its Tough guy’s.

I am kind of interested if Cherry addresses this tonight as he is the high priest of the Code. Also what would the ramifications to the code be if Gagner is traded before the Canucks and Oil play again? Are the Oilers still expected to seek retribution for a former team mate? Does Gagner carry the obligation to respond to his new team?

Maybe Cherry before he goes completely should write down the code so us mortals can understand it. Or does defining the code break the code in some first rule of fight club sort of way?

48. Bad Seed says:

justDOit,

Nice response. If it was up to 6 Rings, he’d keep all his boys here.

49. VanOil says:

justDOit:
    Bushed,

50. justDOit says:

VanOil: The press in the center of the hockey universe tell me that it is not only every Ontario boy’s dream to play for the Leaves but there obligation. A trade to Toronto would therefore not be a breach of faith by MacT but observation of a higher duty to the hockey gords.

This, I’ll buy – although limiting the number of teams you can trade with to one isn’t ideal. And don’t the TMLs already have a Gagner type player in Kadri?

But I’ll reiterate: reneging on a promise to a player, and not caring about your team’s image around the league, is absurd.

51. Hammers says:

LT keeping our powder dry doesn’t work for the over 70 group . The way this team plays I may never see another winning season . I don’t like Eakins BUT he needs this time to instill his ideas and I don’t see McT backing of from him . What does that leave . The core for me is RNH , Hall , Ebs , Yak, Perron , Gordon, , Ference , Belov , . That’s 6 forwards & 2 “D” . If or when he trades any of the remaining players that’s fine . He should get decent returns for J.Schultz , Petry , Gags , Hemsky . The others won’t bring much so probably keep Gazdic , Arcobello , Lander , Larsen . Then the Oklahoma group Nurse Klefbom & Marincin Fedun . Katz is already seeing sold out building with empty seats and next it will be just more empty seats .It is time to be BOLD .

52. VanOil says:

While Hockey players being tough is not really news. A one legged Stamkos on the ice is a joy to watch. http://youtu.be/v5AmJddv3tY

53. Bushed says:

justDOit,

Oh, please…

Players get promised ice time, top line time, PP time etc etc all the time and then the coach or GM makes a different decision and life goes on. Sometimes it isn’t even because of anything a player does or doesn’t do–life isn’t always fair. Getting paid millions for a contract you are not living up to should more than make up for it, in this case.

All MacT has to say is that the contract didn’t work out the way the parties thought it would and there is no credibility issue–it happens all the time in pro sports.

Players and agents know exactly what a NTC is and how it works. If it isn’t written into the contract, it means exactly nothing. Free agents and their agents won’t care about Sam’s so-called “verbal NTC”.

Did Belov turn us down because of Souray’s experience? Gordon?

Did any free agent even mention it?

It’s like saying we’ll never get another Russian player because MacT didn’t live up to his verbal promise to Grebs that he’d play.

54. maudite says:

Can we stop trying to trade Petry already?

55. boxman says:

LT I agree it isn’t about wins and losses but growth. That said last nights response to the taunting showed how little backbone and sense of team the Oilers have. We hear how liked Gagner is in the room and yet when the idiot who smashed his face can openly taunt him with so many teammates around there is a lot bigger problem than two points. I think especially since we are out of the playoffs people have to show up under these circumstances. I can tell you for a fact that my old timers team would have acted even if it was a player not liked on the team. This isn’t an age thing. It is just increasingly obvious there is a real problem in the Oilers dressing as these players act like they don’t care about their teammates. It’s a bad mix and they are becoming harder to like or cheer for.

56. russ99 says:

For those questioning the effort level of the players, can you deny that they had that level of effort last season?

So, what happened? MacT improved the roster from a team that was progressing albeit without an increase in shot differential and other advanced stats, so we really should have been better this year.

I don’t blame the players for checking out on an organization who doesn’t mind punting a season and giving up on important years in the progression of our players overall output in order to teach everyone how to play defense; and that puck possession, low quality shots and safest play possible is more important that anything else.

And I’m not just pointing the finger at Eakins here, it was an organizational decision to go down this road. Take a look at some of MacTs statements, even before Eakins was hired.

I really wonder how much closer we’d be to the playoffs had Krueger been allowed to punt the assistants and bring in his own guy like he wanted.

57. Andy P says:

justDOit: I’ll trade you half of my pitchforks and torches for half of your tar and feathers. That way, we’ll both be ready for the next witchhunt.

Or use them on Smith Bucky and Chabot.

58. Andy P says:

Bushed: @Justdoit:“with a verbal NTC given to Gagner, talk of him on the trade block is unsettling, at some level.”Ummm, why? As the lawyers say, a verbal promise is worth the paper it’s written on. If the NTC was so important, Gag’s agent would have gotten one. The fact that MacT did not give one speaks for itself, in spite of whatever other verbal went with it.So we can’t trade him because he’d miss his sweetie? Too bad–it’s a business. If you don’t live up to your end of the contract, bye-bye.We’re not going to get a better team if we lose sleep over hurting someone’s feelings. Dubnyk just had his first kid, so we can’t trade him? JSchultz was wooed by no less than Gretz himself, so we can’t trade him either? Yak was told at the draft he’d be a big part of the future, so can’t let him go. Jones just came back from an eye injury, so trading him would tell free agents the Oil don’t care about their players.See where this gets us?Let’s get over the supposed “verbal NTC’” — it means exactly nothing.

Andy P: Or use them on Smith Bucky and Chabot.

Perhaps they’re deciding between Gags, Hemmers and Yak for the 2RW position.

59. FastOil says:

I was at the game last night, just got home.

Wow.

It has been a while since I’ve seen them live. I have no idea how you season ticket holders can take that much abuse.

I will be shocked if Hemsky is back.

Who was it that smoked RNH so hard – had one of my kids with me and all I saw was him hitting the ice? I am amazed he’s not concussed, or is he?

60. gcw_rocks says:

LMHF#1,

Amen brother. MacT made a lot of bad bets this summer and took a bunch of crazy risks this summer and while a few turned out, if you play enough Russian roulette eventually you find the bullet.

All one had to do was look at their centre depth at the start of camp, and their coaching staff and the number of wannabes gifted roster spots to know this to be true.

61. gcw_rocks says:

russ99,

Probably closer than we are, but not as close as if they had bought in Ruff.

62. gcw_rocks says:

justDOit,

It’s a violation of the CBA to give Gagner a ntc this season. If trading Gagner is the best thing for the hockey team, you do it.

You know what’s going to attract the most free agents to Edmonton? Winning.

63. malinpaul says:

The Canucks thoroughly outclassed us, but if Hall plays better and Luongo is on our team/Dubnyk on the canucks, we maybe win that game.

We likely beat Boston (maybe not their best effort) without Dubnyk.

Maybe Bryz steals us one against the Ducks…

64. malinpaul says:

malinpaul,

To be clear, we clearly are a weaker team than the nucks, just be nice if a goalie could win us a game …

65. knighttown says:

Oilers record against the top 15 in the NHL this year…

2-and-15

Oilers record against the bottom 15…

9-and-8

There’s probably never been an easier team to bet in history of hockey. This isn’t an “inconsistent” team as some in the media like to state. This is simply a really bad hockey team who are so overmatched against good teams that they simply can’t win. Like, literally, less than one win per month you can be proud of.

66. knighttown says:

And just to see if that sort of win loss record versus good/bad teams is usually that evenly split it isn’t. Dallas, the definition of mediocrity at #17 in their NHL is 7-7 against top 15 teams.

A fan of that team can rightly point to wins at Anaheim, Chicago and Boston as signs that this team might be something if they can avoid laying down brutal efforts against the NHLs weaklings.

Dallas = inconstant (normal)
    Edmonton = bad