AVALANCHE AT OILERS, G30 13-14

If we made a list of untouchables on the Oiler roster, would David Perron be on it? Would Sam Gagner be off the list? What about Justin Schultz? Unless the Oilers are willing to offer sheet a young defenseman with experience, it looks like they’re going to have to trade for one.

rockford

The Oilers can put their best P.I. on the case but the bottom line is that the kind of help they need costs a premium and 29 other teams are going to see them coming.  I’ll guess the list of players who Edmonton wouldn’t trade is probably five deep:

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Nail Yakupov
  4. Jordan Eberle
  5. Andrew Ference (nmc)

and that is followed by a secondary list of players

1. Justin Schultz
  2. David Perron
  3. Jeff Petry
  4. Sam Gagner (mtc 2014-15 as per tsn)
  5. Boyd Gordon

That’s my guess, maybe Gagner’s been punted and they’ll send him away before the NTC kicks in (but MacT doesn’t strike me as a guy who forgets a promise based on the names surrounding him). Who’s left? Ah, there’s the problem.

1. Ales Hemsky (expiring contract)
  2. Nick Schultz (expiring contract)
  3. Ilya Bryzgalov (expiring contract)
  4. Devan Dubnyk (expiring contract)
  5. the rest

IIHF World Junior Championship - Canada v USA - Gold Medal Game

• Taylor Hall: “I don’t watch hockey these days, it makes me bitter seeing teams higher up in standings winning”

I don’t think it’s a good thing when the guy leading the youth brigade (or at least one of the leaders) can’t bring himself to see the truth, but on the other hand I quite like that his anger burns with a thousand suns. That should sustain him when the going gets tough in the post-season in 2???

UNDER PRESSURE

12AngryFonda

Apathy is creeping in to the fanbase and the Oilers brass has to be aware of all the fans showing up as empty seats. There are times when getting an Oiler ticket is impossible—this isn’t one of those times. Cold weather might have something to do with it, but it’s also true that fans have gone from anger and upset to  finding other pursuits.

That’s very bad, even with the money rolling in for the  good ship Oildrop.

I think we’ll see some changes soon, maybe in adding a coach and possibly a significant trade. I don’t think the #1 defenseman is coming, but maybe Kulikov or similar.

I know the season is lost, but this isn’t working. Eakins needs some help, bet MacT gets it for him.

new

It’s always exciting (for draft nuts like me) to see another drafted player make the NHL, and if Martin Marincin makes his debut tonight that’ll mean three players from the 2010 Entry Draft have played in the NHL (Taylor Hall, Tyler Pitlick and now Marincin). This is year four after that draft and it has gone from highly touted (by me) to much maligned (by many) and of course the truth is that there’s plenty of story yet to be written.

Pitlick is apparently getting closer to returning, Marincin may get his first cup of coffee and Hall is a gem despite the trials and tribulations of this season (and he’s not the same Hall as last season—they need to fix that right now).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

War, Inc. movie image Marisa Tomei

10am TSN 1260 it’ll be an interesting show! Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’ll be fun!

289 Responses to "AVALANCHE AT OILERS, G30 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Clay says:

That comment by Hall should cause major concern for Oilers fans. Hall hates losing, no surprise. But, I think this goes only one of two ways. Either MacT has to find a way to Frankenstein a team together that can win or Hall asks for a trade. And I think the clock is a lot closer to midnight than people think.

Rebuild Ad Infinitum.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I’ll guess the list of players who Edmonton wouldn’t trade is probably five deep:”

On the NHL level: I think Belov may belong somewhere in this list (the secondary one).

On the prospect level: I think Nurse is an Oiler for life. Klefbom was until he wasn’t prepared for the NHL, now I think he may on a secondary hold list. They’d move him if the right piece came available and I don’t think that was the case in July.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“A bunch of expiring conracts and the first round pick in 2014. So, can we all agree that the only thing they’re likely to trade is that 2014 1st rd pick? And further, that they aren’t likely to deal it until it has max value (draft)?”

You need to add the prospects to this scenario. But, I agree, it is highly likely they trade that 1st round pick and if they do (despite needing help now, despite wanting to give this team some confidence now, etc.) the smart move is to wait until you can extract max value from it.

I’ll weep when BUF picks Reinhart and Draisaitl in the 1st round.

4. TheOtherJohn says:

Ference should make no ones list of untouchables. Fortunately we have his years 35,36 & 37 to look forward to.. Well at least Clarkson saved us from another really bad contract.

Rom

If Gagner ++ got us anything I would not hesitate to move him. He wanted a NMC and does not have one till the summer. Too bad

Think Colorado will be interesting challenge tonight

5. rich says:

I would like to think Perron is untouchable given that he’s exactly the kind of player you want at forward – willing to go to the tough areas to score, and someone who can get under the other teams skin.

But I would also like to think that MacT/Eakins have said to Gagner that he’s playing himself out of town with his on-going poor play in his own zone.

And I’d also think that Hall’s comments and the empty seats are starting to become alarming to the GM and Owner. Now’s not the time to go all Mike Milbury, but this team badly needs help on defense. As was said on this blog a week or so ago, you can’t keep shuffling 2′s and 3′s and that’s what we’re doing on the back end. To get what we really need something IS going to have to go the other way.

My opinion on the untouchables has changed from the summer. As we get closer to the trade deadline, if the #1 pick plus a prospect can’t get you the #1D this team so obviously needs, one of the crown jewels is going to have to go otherwise, one of them – Hall(?) might force your hand.

The next few months are going to have an enormous impact on the next 10 years of this franchise and as I’ve said since he was hired, I think MacT’s task was going to be and is turning out to be far more difficult given the hand that Tambellini (ok – Lowe) has dealt him.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: Think LT does not include prospects on the list because no one has any clue where they are going to shake out. None of them are exceeding expectations on OKC. The Oiler Blogosphere has been prepared to project prospects and not see that work out too well.

Or, he’s limiting himself to NHL assets.

While it’s true not one knows how the prospects will turn out, this is true of all prospects.

I have no idea what your basis for this claim: “None of them are exceeding expectations on OKC.” but I’d like to hear it.

Romulus Apotheosis: Or, he’s limiting himself to NHL assets.

Marincin is a guy I can see them trading.

8. sliderule says:

Clay,

Hall will not ask for a trade as long as his buddy Eberle is here.

sliderule:
    Clay,

Hall will not ask for a trade as long as his buddy Eberle is here.

10. leadfarmer says:

I think no one should be on the will not trade list. If you can get a better player for them do it. If Hall can get you Benn, or Weber do it. If Eberle can get you Couturier do it.

11. Clarkenstein says:

Other than a couple nice runs the past (almost) 25 years have been very, very barren in Oil Country. For that reason I would suggest that NOT ONE player should be considered untouchable. The imbalance of this roster is so profound that if the appropriate BLOCKBUSTER could be procured it would simply have to be looked at. There are many examples one could probably give but what’s the point? Why? Because would you really trust this management group to be able to get this right? No? Me neither!

12. TheOtherJohn says:

Exceeding expectations would be someone walking in the door and playing 1-2 pairs or 1 or 2 lines above organizational expectations and excelling at that level. Hartikanene did that. No one expected him to be a solid AHL player. He moved up the batting order as a result. Ryan Martindale being a 1C and scoring at .8 PPG in OKC would exceed expectations. Klefbom QB’ing your PP and playing 24 TOI in OKC would exceed expectations

You obviously think one or many players in OKC are exceeding expectations. Who would they be. In OKC I think Davidson might?? Meet that criteria

13. G Money says:

Strategy explained for tonight’s game:

14. Clarkenstein says:

Lowetide: And THAT is why you don’t trade Eberle. It’s Sittler and Lanny McDonald all over again.

Disagree! Lanny and Sittler could play in the D end. NONE of the Oil kids can even find the D end let alone defend it.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I didn’t include them because we don’t really know the value of them. I would guess Nurse is untouchable but he’s not here and they won’t trade him so including him clouds the issue. And I do think the same for Klefbom, doubt he’ll be dealt.

Marincin is a guy I can see them trading.

Yes. That’s fair. I was pointing to this statement:

“So, can we all agree that the only thing they’re likely to trade is that 2014 1st rd pick?”

It seems pretty likely a prospect or two, anywhere from a Marincin down to a roster dump like Abney, gets moving in your mythical 3 for 1. That’s all.

16. bookje says:

So, who do you start in net with Bryzgalov on IR, Dubnyk wishing he was on IR, and La Barbara coming back from a great 2 game performance in OKC?

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money:
    Strategy explained for tonight’s game:

Great Jearb!

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: Exceeding expectations would be someone walking in the door and playing 1-2 pairs or 1 or 2 lines above organizational expectations and excelling at that level.

I’m not going to touch that bar.

How many prospects leap 1 to 2 pairs/lines worth of organizational expectations AND excelling above those expectations?

Unicorns, friend, unicorns.

19. jfry says:

A year we were supposed to compete for a playoff spot and instead the highlights are the rookies that we’re dressing from the 2010 draft. Ugh . Because Oilers.

Hall should shut his mouth until he figures out how do put some effort into d. i think his comments on Yak were the opposite of team building and these ones show signs or giving up.

god, how much better would this team look with horcoff than samwise night now? How we gave two no movement/trade clauses this summer is beyond me. And then not replace smid? Hire a rookie coach? Our mgt and coach do the best interviews in the leaague tho!

I thought there was no way any franchise was going to make feaster look good this year. Ugh.

20. Dee Dee says:

This team has set a record for trading away “untouchables”.

Probably traded away more than the rest of the league combined.

The plan was to turn the suck switch on for four years so the team could reap many high draft picks they would pull the team into contention.

You could argue the opposite happened and they ended up just teaching all these young guys how to lose.

Very sad that this was allowed to happen.

Sadder that the architect of this mess is still in control.

21. Thinker says:

22. russ99 says:

Justin Schultz should be with the top 5.

37 points in 69 games for a second year offensive defenseman is very good. He’s way ahead of Jake Gardiner, ahead of Voynov and on par with Del Zotto his first two years.

That’s not a player you trade away, and they should be working much harder with him on his defensive play. If anything, that’s what should get Steve Smith axed.

23. steveb12344 says:

Thinker: The gagner no movement clause doesn’t kick in until next year, why is that? What kind of rational person says “your part of the future we won’t move you, you can have a no trade because it doesn’t matter anyway” but waits a year before activating it. I don’t think gagner was promised anything, i think the conversation was more along the lines of “i’m a new gm, i need to see what you can do before i make you a promise. I’ll know by next year. If I think you can fit in the top six long term, I have no problem giving you a ntc.”Thats the only way that makes sense to me. So going along with that, gagner has shown he is not the yin to nuges yang. Gagner is the same player as nuge minus defence, and with half the offensive ability. We need a player who adds variety to the top six. Likely a player who can cycle, and play a 200ft game(even if he is a 40pt player vs gagner’s 50). The variety give eakins an actual opportunity to adjust his top six depending on the opponent.

That’s why the NTC was only verbal for the first year.

Mac T could legally trade him this year, but it would look very bad for him when it comes to future negotiations if the players don’t believe in his integrity.

24. Andy P says:

Thinker:

IIRC it’s something to do with the NHL contract rules that prevents the 1st year NMC in Gag’s case. I’m sure one of the experts on this blog can correct or clarify those details. Also, MacT referred to a verbal agreement for year 1, as being a commitment he made personally not to trade Gags.

So for better or worse, Gags is here through this season and next.

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Thinker,

You can’t give a NTC/NMC during the players ELC/RFA years, only when they are eligible for UFA status.

So MacT did the next best thing…the NTC officially kicks in July 1 2014, but he has given a verbal agreement to Gagner-and publicly repeated it-that he would not trade him prior to July 1 2014(and then his NTC kicks in)

That means Sam isn’t going anywhere before July 1 2015.

26. russ99 says:

steveb12344,

Yep. The only way MacT doesn’t take a hit in future FA negotiations in a Gagner trade is if either Gagner asks for a trade or MacT goes to Gagner and asks him to approve a trade.

27. OilClog says:

I think Hall will ask for a trade, and bring his buddy Eberle with him.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

…and I see the topic has been covered from all angles…

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

steveb12344: Correct me if i’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that Gags isn’t eligible for a NTC until the second year of his new contract. Something to do with age, or number of years in the league.

Andy P: IIRC it’s something to do with the NHL contract rules that prevents the 1st year NMC in Gag’s case.

Gerta Rauss: To the best of my knowledge MacT couldn’t give Gagner a NTC this year because it was the last year of his RFA status-the Oilers bought 2 UFA years in addition to that(making it a 3 year contract)

I love it when this happens!

30. Caramel Obvious says:

I was looking over the Barons stat lines searching for some stuff on Lander. That is a mediocre team being outscored by nine goals on the season despite having a good powerplay.

1) Omark is the entire offense. He has 25pts in 23 games which is obviously good, and yet is a -5. The Barons have allowed three empty net goals so he’s really -2?.

2) Lander shows decent. He has 15 pts in 18 games and is a +3. Haven’t Lander and Omark been playing together? In any case Lander by AHL scoring track record (which is predictive) Lander is miles better than Acton. If you can’t score in the AHL you can’t play in the NHL even in a third or fourth line role.

3) Marincin is +4 while Klefbom is -9 and Davidson is -10 (they must be playing together). I’d love to see their on-ice save percentages because that’s a big difference.

4) Fedun has 14 pts in 21 games and is a +4. That’s good. He should be in the NHL.

5) Is their a good source, or any source really, for shot data for the AHL?

31. Hammers says:

Sorry LT on a team like this there all available for trade and sometimes the best ones to move are the untouchables as they typically hold the most value back . My no trade list would include Perron & Gordon as they are both good players for good value $$$ wise .

32. Andy P says:

Hammers:

The only problem is that MacT said quite clearly that he has a core of 8-9 players that he will not trade, so until we get some idea of who those players are, any guesses regarding trades, are likely an exercise in futility.
    There again, how many trades have any of us accurately predicted? I’m sure there must have been 1 or 2.

Clarkenstein: Disagree!Lanny and Sittler could play in the D end.NONE of the Oil kids can even find the D end let alone defend it.

Last year, when the OIlers had a competent coach, the puck was rarely in the defensive zone when Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle were on the ice. No need to defend when the puck is in the offensive zone. Eakins turned them into negative plus/minus players, and negative absolute Corsi players.

Continuous improvement on D was a sufficient goal for those three. Not breaking what was working.

Fixing Hall’s defensive deficiencies immediately was more of a problem for Team Canada then it was for the Oilers.

Hall was 2nd in scoring in the Western Conference last year, 2nd only to Toews. A plus player, and positive in absolute Corsi, and a monster in relative Corsi.

The coach was letting his best players lead the Oilers to the promised land. Yep. The Oilers needed a lot more players. Instead MacT got them a new clueless AHL head coach.

The OIlers needed more NHL players. Not another coach.

34. oilersfan says:

i read a lot about fans worrying about Taylor Hall ultimately wanting to get traded because he will be sick of losing.

I wonder about that. Reason? he sees himself as part of the problem.

Reason? He is part of the problem,

Solution analysis: Backcheck, be a leader in puck retrieval, hit the net more consistently, score on breakaways well enough that your coach would use you in a shootout, play the team system better than anyone else.

once he has improved in all those areas of the game such that he is the best on the team at all of them, then he has a legiitimge complaint and rationale for being traded.

until then, he must know any team that trades for him would have to give up so much to get him they would no longer be competitive, either. The only solution to the problem, from his perspective, is to be the best on the team at those items that are currently weaknesses in his own game, and in the team, so that others around him see and follow.

35. boxman says:

Season ticket holders have been drinking the kool-aid and given false hope for years and years. The carrot has been that the Oilers will be a world class team “soon” with a world class facility to watch the games. The reality is the poor season ticket holders are spending a fortune to watch a horrible nepotistic organization ruin the potential of some wonderful players. How can we expect Hall and company to act and play like winners when management refuses to be accountable. What the hell kind of organization keeps firing head coaches and then saddles the next head coach with buddies of management and the owner as assistant coaches. If you want to help out ex-Oilers Katz have Rexall hire them to sell toilet paper, a job that makes sense as most have crapped the bed as Oiler employees. Personally I have been to two games this year, the Detroit 5-0 loss and the Phoenix 6-2 loss. Both of these games the players showed little effort and no emotion. The cost of a pair of tickets to two games was $800 and the idiot parade that runs the Oilers thinks we are on the right path and keeps preaching patience. Well screw you Katz and fuck you Kevin Lowe. I go all the way back to having season tickets in the WHA and for many years in the NHL and never have I seen the fans so whipped and disappointed. I think it is time for Katz to step up, clean house and apologize. If not I hope the passionless and badly treated fans turn in their season tickets and all Oiler fans quietly find places to shop other than Rexall!! Shame on the whole organization Shame!!!!!

36. Truth says:

From your list LT, I would swap Yak for Perron and Ference for J. Schultz. Trade the rest of them. I’ve been a big proponent of keeping Yak all along, but if they can get equal value (big if) then I would trade him for another player like Perron immediately. The Oilers could use 18 Perrons out there. Only guy that gives a damn.

Yak reminds me of my old self when I wasn’t feeling it one night. Float around and make sure it looks like your trying by taking two hard strides when you’re around the play. Then, when you get the puck take another two hard strides and then pass it, even if no one’s open.

From what I’ve been hearing there are lots of people around the NHL that are surprised how slow Nail actually is. He is explosive for 3 steps, but his top end is below average. Ever since I heard that I’ve been watching. It’s so tough to tell because he never actually takes more than 3 hard strides before he’s back in float mode or he stops and looks to pass the puck. I think he’s just as aware of his lack of top end speed than anyone. He’s like a ’70 Chevelle, the Oilers need to trade him in for one of them new souped up lifted diesels that puts out 600 hp.

My List of untouchables (in order):
    1. RNH
    2. Hall
    3. Perron
    4. Eberle
    5. J. Schultz

The rest are on the block right now. Top priority for players that put in an effort every single night. Something that is currently displayed by 1 or 2 players, Perron and for the most part Hall.

Also, what do you expect Hall to say? “I love watching other teams play, how about those Blackhawks, wouldn’t it be fun to be on that team!” or “I love to watch the Red Wings, now there’s a team with an NHL coach and system”.

If he was telling the truth I think this would be his comment: “Why would I watch hockey on TV, we don’t have a chance until we get a solid goaltender and a couple actual NHL defenseman on the team. Can’t you see we aren’t even trying yet?”

37. TheOtherJohn says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m not going to touch that bar.

Unicorns, friend, unicorns.

Rom

Disagree Not unicorns at all. Just because we don’t have any does not mean they do not exist.

Chase would be someone at the junior level that colossally exceeds expectations. As I say Hartikanen. in OKC was another

In 5 minutes I found :

Toffoli 47 OV 58 gms AHL 28g 23 a 51 points in draft +3
    Cody Ceci 15 OV .73 ppg AHL in draft +2
    Thomas Jurco 35OV draft +2 1.09 ppg in AHL
    Reid Boucher 99 OV .85 ppg in AHL draft+ 3

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: Rom

Chase would be someone at the junior level that colossally exceeds expectations. AsI say Hartikanen. in OKC was another

In 5 minutes I found :

Toffoli 47 OV 58 gms AHL 28g 23 a 51 points in draft +3
    Cody Ceci 15 OV .73 ppg AHL in draft +2
    Thomas Jurco 35OV draft +2 1.09 ppg in AHL
    Reid Boucher 99 OV .85 ppg in AHL draft+ 3

That’s a small list.

Although, I’m not sure it’s news to anyone that the vast majority of prospects don’t reach your bar, or that most people don’t hold prospects to it. Really not sure why you think this is a valuable measure.

39. justDOit says:

OT, but interesting: A player named Wheaton King plays for the Wheat Kings – I wonder if he eats his Wheaties?

(Gluten’s bad, mkay?)

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

(Gluten’s bad, mkay?)

Who the hell is Greg Ferland?

41. Truth says:

Also OT, and I’ve been wondering for a while, has anyone ever done an analysis on the relevance of Corsi in the NBA?

I know this site puts a lot of emphasis into “fancy stats” so maybe someone here would know. I think it would have to remove all data from the 3 point line out, obviously those shots are taken for different reasons, but it seems like it would be a good test. I’d read it.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Re-thinking the Bishop trade (the 2nd one) from the Sens perspective:

Apparently SC was dangled… wow… that’s a lot better than Jones!!

43. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Didn’t notice that at first – Ferland hockey gloves?

I wonder if Pete Peters ever played for Peterborough?

44. leadfarmer says:

Truth,

There is a lot in Yaks game you can criticize, but his skating and shot are his best skills and way above average. He is fast and elusive, he just doesn’t get much space to show it.

45. Jordan says:

Hey LT.

Been a while – life’s been happening all around me.

What are you spending your time doing when you’re not talking Oilers?

Cheers,

46. russ99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

There’s nothing like recalling the ineptitude of the last trade deadline to make me feel better about MacT.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: My favorite was on Oil Change where Tambellini kept asking Morey Gare to make the decision on the Jerred Smithson trade for him…

Because Gare has proved so good at analyzing pro talent!

What a pair, huh?

48. LMHF#1 says:

Rishaug is speculating that Petry and Belov will be out tonight. So:you add Marincin and Potter, and have no Bryzgalov….They’ll need to score what, 9 tonight to have a chance?

49. hoser313 says:

jfry,
    Clay,
    russ99,

The truth is the Oil are still a VERY young team. Unfortunately that hasn’t changed in the last few years. With only a couple exceptions (Ference and Nultz on D, and Smyth, Gordon, and Hemsky up front) all of the top 6 D and top 9 forwards are 25 or younger. I’m discounting Belov this year as he’s still learning the North American game.

This is a huge problem on D. It takes most defencemen longer to develop and I think at COH they ran a piece a year or two ago about how most of the recent Stanley Cup winners have a relatively older group than you might think for their top 6 D.

Fact is it is difficult to be a top team in the NHL if 4 of your 6 regular defencemen are still learning how to play the defensive game at the highest level.

I don’t have a problem with Hall’s comments. Yes, he will need to backcheck, etc. when he opens his mouth or he’ll get no respect, but he clearly sees himself as an Oiler and I don’t think he’ll ask for a trade. It would be worse if he didn’t care about the losing.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, he’s not afraid to be wrong:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “It’s time to come out, watch a game from up top, take a breath and reset.” – Coach Eakins on Jeff Petry, who will not play tonight

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Coach Eakins says Anton Belov is “struggling, and he understood it”. #77 will also not be on the #Oilers blueline tonight vs. Colorado.

51. Bar_Qu says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That is a justifiable move but,

Petry indeed will sit. Hunch is Gordon goes on IR to create spot for Larsen. Marincin for Belov, Potterand Lander in, Gazdic for Joensuu.— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) December 5, 2013

Taking Joensuu out for Gazdic and Marincin in for Belov just ensures a loss.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bar_Qu:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

That is a justifiable move but,

Taking Joensuu out for Gazdic and Marincin in for Belov just ensures a loss.

Eakins’ decision making process is getting more suspect by the day.

53. fifthcartel says:

Is this the worst group of defencemen the Oilers have iced in recent years?

Ference-JSchultz
    NSchultz-Larsen
    Marincin-Potter

Just guessing.

54. Andy P says:

This is game 30 of the season. The “Stauffer margin”. After this, the team should have all of their players in their correct roles, they should understand and be playing Eakin’s system, and Eakins should have gotten over his rookie mistakes. No more excuses!

55. FastOil says:

This is 100% about turning the team around. Eakins is Scotty Bowmaning some heads. I am all for it. Petry is a good player as is Belov, but they need a kick in the ass, they need to be pushed to be better. They are playing poorly and they have the potential to be very good. The team needs them to be very good.

This is what Hitchcock was referring to about Eakins being the smartest move MacT made. These players have been through a lot, but that is the nature of the beast for every bad team, including Crosby’s Penguins when he came in.

They are stuck in bad habits and don’t play like champions. Something has to be done for change if they are going to be champions. This is Eakins way and many good coaches have done the same, been strong on the players and tried to get into their heads and rewire.

I can respect it because for the most part he doesn’t call guys out in the media. The team has a right to demand better from a bottom feeding team. We fans have a right to see better hockey than the Phoenix game.

56. Bank Shot says:

fifthcartel:
    Is this the worst group of defencemen the Oilers have iced in recent years?

Ference-JSchultz
    NSchultz-Larsen
    Marincin-Potter

Just guessing.

I’ve seen worse. Bisaillon and Bryan Young being in the lineup spring to mind. Toby Petersen on D.

The Oilers have found a way to have a consistently terrible back end post Pronger that’s for sure.

Hopefully they can add another offensive winger in the offseason to address that failing.

57. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis: What will be worse is if they win… we’ll be stuck with the “winning team” again!

Eakins’ decision making process is getting more suspect by the day.

Only if you view these moves out of context and intepret them as Marincin and Larsen are better than Petry and Belov. But that’s not what these moves say. They say that Petry and Belov are struggling (which is true) and that we need them to be better in order to win (which is also true).

So if there is a criticism to be made here it is to the idea of a “reset button.” I don’t see how this is a valid criticism. When you are struggling, resetting the process is a good alternative to beating your head against a wall that is applicable across areas of life. If I can’t fall asleep I get up and read for 10 or 15 minutes. That works. That’s a reset.

So it is plausible that resetting the players gives them the best opportunity to play better in the future. It is part of the coaches job to think longterm. I’m glad he is.

So I’m fine with these moves. I’d prefer Gazdic not play but if he is on the roster he has to play sometime. At home, following a 6-2 loss, against a team that employs fighters, isn’t the worst time in the world. These moves don’t guarantee a loss or any other nonsense.

58. Melman says:

“How can we expect Hall and company to act and play like winners when management refuses to be accountable. What the hell kind of organization keeps firing head coaches and then saddles the next head coach with buddies of management and the owner as assistant coaches.”

This. I’m sure Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger are nice guys, but Smith had IIRC no coaching experience to speak of prior to coming to Edm. and the D has been mess forever. I’ve never figured out what Bucky brings to the table as a coach. Craig Simpson knew his stuff and was decent, and smart enough to get out of dodge.

59. Clay says:

Happy with the benching of Petry. Lets face it – tonight is a guaranteed loss. It doesn’t really matter who plays, so start holding guys accountable. Hope that it’s rolling healthy scratches from here on.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

60. Melman says:

fifthcartel:
    Is this the worst group of defencemen the Oilers have iced in recent years?

Ference-JSchultz
    NSchultz-Larsen
    Marincin-Potter

Just guessing.

I’m calling my bookie right now to lay money on the Avs before the odds change

61. Truth says:

Clay:

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Exactly!

62. gogliano says:

If Gagner was really part of the future, MacT would have given him a NTC for this upcoming season.

63. LMHF#1 says:

fifthcartel:
    Is this the worst group of defencemen the Oilers have iced in recent years?

Ference-JSchultz
    NSchultz-Larsen
    Marincin-Potter

Just guessing.

Believe it or not, I don’t think so. Remember when Bryan Young was in the lineup?

GAH! Bank Shot beat me to it.

64. russ99 says:

C’mon, you guys can’t have it both ways.

Players are being held accountable, as so many have cried out for, and not we’re complaining about a sure loss because of it?

I’m not so sure. They still have to play the game. Maybe the players will respond to this.

BTW: the surest sign that Eakins has lost the room was in his “communication” interview yesterday on Oilers.com. Check it out. He held a lengthy meeting to get the guys to talk to each other on the ice, then right afterward, they were quiet during practice.

This benching, the rip on Arco in the press, the Acton move, that communication thing being made public… Last acts of a desperate man?

65. Alsker says:

Think Patty Roy is all smiles at the team lunch today, sure he’s already writing his post game Oiler eulogy. Jonesuu out Gadzig in,lol, I called that last night @ ON, can’t hurt any of the “keepers” feelings now . Another tough night for the old liver.

66. Gerta Rauss says:

gogliano:

As 3 of us tried to explain above, Mac T couldn’t give a NTC this year-the CBA doesn’t allow it.

This year was year 7 of Sam’s RFA years-you cannot give NTC during the RFA years, only UFA years.

67. CrazyCoach says:

Tough to sit out veterans, but Eakins does need to sit some of the older guys. The real test will come when he has to sit Hall, Eberle, or Gagner. Then we will see who truly runs this team.

Wish I could watch Marincin play tonight but alas, family duties come first. Last time I saw Marincin play was about two years ago when he was playing for our hometown Cougars. I’m curious about two things: Can he make the jump to the next level which I thought he would, and will playing for two inept organizations in three seasons sour him on North American life?

68. justDOit says:

CrazyCoach,

Yes – this is where that stud d-man could help shelter the young defender. Instead, it’s ‘Marincin – meet fire’. Good luck, Martin!

69. Truth says:

gogliano:

Well Eberle, Hall, and RNH didn’t get NMC’s…but Ference did. I know, I know, they only could have had them only later in their contracts, but still omitted.

The Oilers sure could use a steady defensive defenseman right now. One that plays with heart, puts his body on the line for the betterment of the team, doesn’t take any crap. If only that was a possibility

70. leadfarmer says:

Welcome to the NHL Marincin, we’ll give you a strong steady defenseman to help break you into the NHL and make the transition easier.

Ha, just kidding. You get Potter. Good Luck.

71. leadfarmer says:

LMHF#1,

Good thing Smid was not a good fit. There was definitely no room for him in this lineup.

72. Truth says:

Bar_Qu,

A bigger story would be anybody that doesn’t have an issue with Yakupov’s play. The kid that loves to be at the rink everyday is not the same under Eakins. Whether it’s Eakins himself, the system, or just a total lack of confidence is anyone’s guess, but he is absolutely no first overall pick right now.

73. VanOil says:

If acid induced roster decisions are the order of the day maybe we should claim Smithson of the wavier wire. Even Toronto would rather ice AHL centers than have him on the team.

All will be forgiven if MacT returns from the NHL meetings with Ehrhoff, Kulikov and Matthias. But I am expecting bupkiss other than the we the we tried but it is hard excusse or Smithson Mk2.

note (to self): Do Not Attempt to watch game with out abundant supply of Alcohol.

74. VanOil says:

Bar_Qu,

Another trade that would make my winter is Matheson to OKC for Willis. It is cruel to put the old boy through another Edmonton winter with a loosing hockey team, he might lose his perspective.

75. Lois Lowe says:

Poor Matty, lived through the heady 80′s when newspaper men were kings. Since then, the industry has gone belly up and he has to churn out work on the abortion that is the Oilers.

Clay:

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Who is responsible for Petry’s poor play? MacT, for making him take on tough opposition with a loser like Ference, instead of with Smid.

You trade away your best defensive defensemen for magic beans, and then you blame your best all-around defensemen who is already facing tougher minutes than he realistically should to face those minutes with an aging midget.

leadfarmer: ic for Joensuu.— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) December 5, 2013

N.Shultz and Larsen looks like Oscar Madison and Felix Unger.

Woodguy: They were the #1 pair in OKC for a while and will have familiarity with each other.

N.Shultz and Larsen looks like Oscar Madison and Felix Unger.

It was more Marincin and Fedun as the #1 pair in OKC.

But Potter is probably the best choice for Marincin out of Justin Schultz, Larson, and Potter.

79. LMHF#1 says:

Then again, this is a sport and a town where at times the fourth line is the most untouchable…

80. VanOil says:

LMHF#1:

This reminds me of some DMW brilliance from last year. If only the teams stars were as consistent as the blogging community’s stars. Dennis King on the Lowedown today was killing it Newfy style.

I’m good with poking fun at Matty as much as anyone, probably more, but all he said about Yak was this:

One last thing: We are now a third of the way through the season, and winger Nail Yakupov does not have one even-strength goal. This is not a good thing for a talent like him, to state the obvious. He has four goals, all on the power play.

That’s entirely true and not offside.

Watching rookies become NHLers is akin to watching sausage being made.

godot10: It was more Marincin and Fedun as the #1 pair in OKC.

Pott’er’s been with the Oilers for most of the year (most of injured) and you are right that when Potter wasn’t there it was Fedun.

When Potter was there, it was Potter though.

I could be wrong, but remember reading it.

Maybe Willis can chime in, he’s been watching them all year.

83. russ99 says:

Woodguy

So is watching good players turned into meatballs by Eakins.

Nobody can say that Yak hasn’t regressed due to managements mishandling of him.

Even Renney gave Hall soft minutes his second year, and he was even more hard-headed about things than Eakins.

84. DBO says:

For shits and giggles, what could we get if we dealt Hall and Eberle? Not saying i want to, you kill for these kinds of players. But if you have Yak and Perron as your 1 LW and RW, can those two young studs fill all the other holes on your team and bring LT’s magical “balance” idea?

Does Hall get you Subban and something else? Or is that a straight up trade?
    Does Eberle get you a goalie and a young centre?
    Or do you just throw a boat load of money at Phaneuf, wait for Nurse and Klefbom and sell the 1st , Gagner and spare parts for a two way 2nd line centre with size?

85. 8p0intgame says:

• Brad Boyes
    • Nick Bjugstad
    • Tom Gilbert
    • Marcel Goc
    • Dmitry Kulikov
    • Shawn Matthias

*Conditional on Marcel Goc re-signing in Edmonton.

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Bjugstad-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Matthias-Boyes
    Goc-Smyth-Jones

Kulikov-Petry
    N. Schultz-Gilbert
    Ference-J. Schultz
    Belov

Dubnyk
    Bryzgalov

Bjugstad (6’6″) and Matthias (6’4″) make the Oilers bigger.
    Bjugstad, Goc, and Matthias improve the Oilers’ center depth.
    The Panthers get a great pick, prospects, a young offensive player, and a UFA.
    Boyes and Gilbert can always be flipped at the deadline for picks.

86. G Money says:

Woodguy: That’s entirely true and not offside.

Watching rookies become NHLers is akin to watching sausage being made.

Yes, let us not forget that Yak went through a 26 game stretch (the entire middle of the shortened season) last year with just a single goal.

Let’s also remember that Yak’s total boxcars so far read:
    75 games , 21 goals, 19 assists, 40 pts, -20

Which apart from the nasty +- number, puts him right in the ballpark with many first year first picks, e.g. Stamkos’ first season:
    79 games, 23 goals, 23 assists, 46 pts, -13

And nothing a yak-trick in the next 4 games wouldn’t cure!

Let’s not be like the MSM and blame this shitty depth-less defence-less team’s troubles on (yet another) rookie.

87. G Money says:

LMHF#1: I don’t see the need to bench Petry or Belov. In baseball you don’t send your slumping #4 hitter to the pine, you bat him 7th.

That last part is sadly true, but our old friend McCurdy has an interesting viewpoint on Petry

that points out that Petry’s troubles are very oddly bipolar between home and away. He’s OEL in away games and AWOL in home games.

Maybe a night in the pressbox will help cure whatever ails him (at home).

88. FastOil says:

I wouldn’t worry about Yak pouting. It is hard work to be a good hockey player on a good team. He probably isn’t “having fun” right now.

I think of Babcock talking about Weiss and saying along the lines of “I told him not to come here if he wasn’t going to play 200 ft. He wouldn’t be happy, I’d be on him. Has to play Red Wings hockey….”.

There are some unhappy campers I am sure right now but no pain no gain. Defensive play has to be in order to win. Not that every player will a checker but everyone has to play smart and put the team first.

89. fifthcartel says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    #Oilers assign defenceman Anton Belov to @OKCBarons.

Hmm, paper transaction, or giving him a few games in OKC?

90. DBO says:

Belov just got sent to OKC? WTF? please tell me no one can claim him.

91. VanOil says:

fifthcartel:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    #Oilers assign defenceman Anton Belov to @OKCBarons.

I am sure this is to make room for the Smithson wavier wire pickup. Grebs must of stashed his Acid supply in the Kingsway water cooler on the way out of town.

92. Bar_Qu says:

Woodguy,

On the Matheson thing, I was more irritated with the overall tone of the article which seemed a little behind and then he throws in the Yak thing at the end which felt unnecssary.

I don’t agree with the problem with the boxcars, I do disagree that he needs to do more at less than a full season in, especially on this team. Hall needs calling out more than Yak does and I don’t think Hall needs calling out.

93. prairieschooner says:

Coach Eakins it is time
    Prepare 3 envelopes

94. Caramel Obvious says:

russ99:
    Woodguy

So is watching good players turned into meatballs by Eakins.

Nobody can say that Yak hasn’t regressed due to managements mishandling of him.

Your memory of Yakupov last year is wrong. The only difference between last year and this year is shooting percentage. So unless you think Eakins is somehow responsible for that you’ll have to look elsewhere to apportion blame. Indeed, Yakupov is getting more shots/game and more offensive zone starts and more ice time under Eakins which if you are looking for things under the coaches control in terms of putting a player in good position to succeed you might want to look at.

But go ahead and continue to prefit what you see into the phantoms that exist in your head.

95. Caramel Obvious says:

And the talk of Eakins ruining Yakupov conveniently misses how much better he has been of late.

To recap, Yakupov was never as good as you remember from last year.

He isn’t as bad as you think this year.

The coach continues to put Yakupov in a position to succeed.

These things are all true.

96. OilClog says:

Why was Belov sent down? Banana’s. Petry in the box? Ference is our #1 tonight? Do they not know who they’re playing against?!

12-0 Colorado.

When is it going to be the assistants and not the defencemen ran out of town? Since MacT was coach this team has gutted every defender they’ve gotten their hands on. Bring in Huddy, Ranford, Maurice.

prairieschooner:
    Coach Eakins it is time
    Prepare 3 envelopes

I’ve been giggling for an hour. Well done.

98. OilClog says:

When does Eakins get to watch a game upstairs using his tactics.. Coach may need a reset.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog:

Oddly, he really seems to like this tactic. Recall that he spent a few preseason games up there and he sits up in the seats for a lot of practices, letting the other coaches run things.

100. gcw_rocks says:

Belov demoted. What are MacT and Eakins thinking? Back up the crazy train. Two passengers seem to have escaped. Let’s keep destroying assets. Let’s piss off pending fee agents err might want to resign. lol.

101. Truth says:

OilClog:

12-0 Colorado.

Bodog is paying 20/1 Colorado wins by 5 or more…

102. Truth says:

gcw_rocks:
    Belov demoted. What are MacT and Eakins thinking? Back up the crazy train. Two passengers seem to have escaped.Let’s keep destroying assets.Let’s piss off pending fee agents err might want to resign. lol.

Eakins and MacT should be feeling some heat here no doubt, but in no way should making players accountable for their play be a reason for them to be pissed off or prevent FA’s from joining the team in the future. What will surely kickstart the exodus is a coach and GM comfortable with the team playing the way it is. I would be proponent of Eakins and MacT bringing up the entire Barons squad for a game or two. You know they are going to show up ready to give their all. Show the privileged boys what hard work looks like.

Also, is “sending” Belov to the AHL akin to bringing up Klefbom a few weeks back? Some sort of roster shuffling. With Larsen, Marincin, Lander, and Potter in the lineup they are probably just avoiding placing Gordon on IR. I’m betting Belov is upstairs sipping cola and slamming some popcorn tonight.

103. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Leaves broadcast just referred to “Taylor Seguin”… no correction.

Good to see the Leaves media are up on what happens outside the Big Stupid.

You’d think after all that time in BOS they’d have figured it out.

104. leadfarmer says:

This team needs to bring in some more veterans to lead these kids. Look at Neiderreiter, he was lost on the Island. This year he is playing with the Wild, a team that has good veterans up and down the lineup and a good amount of young players in the mix and he has 15 pts already. They are not world beaters but in 2-3 years they will be.

I was hoping that this team has hit bottom, but I got a feeling that bottom is still coming

Has anyone mentioned that Marincin’s call up might be a NHL test drive so a potential trade partner can see him at the NHL level?

Playing him with one of his OKC partners, Potter, would help him look good.

3 for 1?

Unicorns?

Balanced roster?

End of the world?

106. VanOil says:

leadfarmer:

Is this the bottom you are referring too? http://youtu.be/KS5eI9e911I?t=44s

Caramel Obvious:

To recap, Yakupov was never as good as you remember from last year.

He isn’t as bad as you think this year.

The coach continues to put Yakupov in a position to succeed.

These things are all true.

Get that rational sanity out of the thread!

Woodguy:

Playing him with one of his OKC partners, Potter, would help him look good.

3 for 1?

Unicorns?

Balanced roster?

End of the world?

Makes sense. There was some chatter around that some were surprised he didn’t make the team. don’t recall where, but remember hearing it.

Marincin is probably 2 years from being able to help, but if he gets a cup of coffee now and then comes back later in the year maybe the Oilers can include him as a first callup option next year.

Or trade him, the pick and Quinn’s pet for a #1 D and a reasonable center.

109. magisterrex says:

Woodguy: Get that rational sanity out of the thread!

Between the three envelopes comment and this one, the thread is already trending to be a classic.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Watching the stars (spits) play the leaves (spits) is like watching your childhood bully play against that smug older guy that always shows up at your brother-in-law’s parties to tell everyone how great he is.

You secretly hope both teams randomly combust into flames.

111. VanOil says:

I believe Gordon to be the Oilers second line center this year and hopefully for a couple more. Does this change anyone’s math on trading Gagner? Arcobello looks to be capable as a #3 scoring line center. Strength up the middle is important and desirable but as the Oilers have painfully proven for years now a defense is more important.

Would Gagner wave his verbal no trade to return to Southern Ontario? Is Gardiner and a 2nd round pick fair compensation? Dregger is reporting today that the Oilers are 3 or 4 NHL defense men short of a team. That’s a pretty bleak assessment even from a guy who thinks Yak is not worth a backup goalie. Mind you the team is sitting the two Defense men I thought were the two best this year.

112. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

You secretly hope both teams randomly combust into flames.

Agreed but at least the Dallas Fox feed has Jay and Dan doing comedy hockey highlights in the intermission.

113. nycoil says:

Hate to be bearer of bad news for the Ehrhoff fans on this site, but on the MSG network intermission about 5 minutes ago for the Rangers-Sabres, they had Pat Lafontaine on. He said some of the candidates he is interviewing for the GM post, “may not be available until after the season.”

Decent possibility they go with the status quo until after the season. They may move expiring contracts like Ott or Miller, but the chances they move Ehrhoff in season are getting slimmer, I’d say.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Leaves broadcast just referenced “shots directed at the net” in both this game and the SJS game…

it’s coming LT. It’s coming!

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Dregger is reporting today that the Oilers are 3 or 4 NHL defense men short of a team.

The same Dreger who said Tor wouldn’t trade Reimer for Yak?

116. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The same Dreger who said Tor wouldn’t trade Reimer for Yak?

MacT must of stole his parking spot when they worked together.

117. bookje says:

Maybe Belov is Russian Darksider?

118. VanOil says:

bookje:
    Maybe Belov is Russian Darksider?

Epic Is he the End of Man or the beginninghttp://youtu.be/zyj4gbty3o0

119. jake70 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

it’s coming LT. It’s coming!

Was watching a game on an american feed on CI recently. The analysts were going over the previous period’s summary of stats during the intermission, they actually had Corsi as a stat/graphic on the screen. I did a double take to make sure but there it was, right below goals, PIM etc for each team. This was a regional broadcast of 2 american teams.

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jake70: Was watching a game onan american feed on CI recently.The analystswere going over the previous period’s summary of stats during the intermission, they actually had Corsi as a stat/graphic on the screen. I did a double take to make sure but there it was, right below goals, PIM etc for each team.This was a regional broadcast of 2 american teams.

Fantastic.

The footsteps are getting louder on the dinosaur’s doorstep.

121. gcw_rocks says:

Truth,

They didn’t need to send him down unless Larsen and Gordon play. Sending one of your top for defensemen to the press box for a game is accountability. Sending him to the minors is an insult

122. Rebilled says:

Really looking forward to watching this termination of pregnancy by the removal or expulsion from the uterus of a fetus or embryo prior to viability that is..

Goilers! Abortioilers!

Romulus Apotheosis: Fantastic.

The footsteps are getting louder on the dinosaur’s doorstep.

I’ve written a big post in my head about how the chasm between mathy people and non-mathy geople is that non-mathy people equate probability with prediction and when it falls short of describing every bounce, they deem it worthless.

Love to see the fancystats getting love though.

Here it comes…

124. nycoil says:

According to TSN, Philly may have almost dealt Couturier for Bishop but got cold feet. Couturier, Conacher, Jones: one of these things is not like the other (even with additional picks)

125. Nostradumbass says:

30 games in and we remove 5 players from the lineup and start playing AHLers?

This is arguably the worst coaching I’ve seen in this organization

Eakins is all gimmick and bluster and no process, he hasn’t had the conviction to stick with one of his gimmick moves and every day seems to see a new wrinkle

I couldn’t identify a single concrete piece of his coaching philosophy

126. OilClog says:

If they get blown out tonight.. What happens? Two blowouts in a row, season done.. What happens.

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ha! Horcoff with a beauty pass to set up Cole… classic. It’s only amazing it wasn’t against the Oilers.

128. DBO says:

#Oilers lines during pre-game warmup –> Hall-Gagner-Yakupov, Perron-RNH-Eberle, Smyth-Arcobello-Hemsky, Gazdic-Lander-Jones

I am OK with these. Our defense…… oh dear

OilClog:

1. Hire Messier as asst to the president of hockey ops
    2. Fire the pro scouts
    3. trade for Kulikov
    4. Add a veteran coach and assign Steve Smith to the equator

I think Hall is dinged up more than we know (he had a bloody MCL strain so…you know)

Eakins said “We have a forward who is dinged up and I’m not telling you the lines or else you’d know who it was”

Lines are:

57-93-14
    4-89-64
    94-26-83 (aka Blogger’s Love Child line as per Mike)
    28-51 – 20

Poor Anton.

He needs a helping hand and they give him two feet.

6m

Retweeted by Chris Wescott

Huh. That top line could be -7.

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO:

I am OK with these. Our defense…… oh dear

I like Arco line. I’d be happier with JJ in for Gazdic.

Anyway, whatever… it’s going to be interesting.

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 2m

Larsen returns to #OIlers blueline alongside Ference; Marincin makes NHL debut with Potter as D partner; Schultz and Schultz remaining pair.

Lowetide: 1. Hire Messier as asst to the president of hockey ops
    2. Fire the pro scouts
    3. trade for Kulikov
    4. Add a veteran coach and assign Steve Smith to the equator

And Bucky keeps alive just like cockroaches after Armageddon.

135. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Add a veteran coach and assign Steve Smith to the equator

Bakersfield is pretty close.

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 2m

Shultz and Shultz.

That show closed opening night off broadway.

Romulus Apotheosis: So, Gags and Yak get the wolves, huh? And Hall isn’t driving the bus like he used to… that line might struggle.

I like Arco line. I’d be happier with JJ in for Gazdic.

Anyway, whatever… it’s going to be interesting.

Eakins has last change.

One would hope he uses it.

Hope.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: 28-51 – 20
    Poor Anton.
    He needs a helping hand and they give him two feet.

I read that as Belov and got very confused…

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Eakins has last change.

One would hope he uses it.

Hope.

How many times has he had last change and put…. say… the Acton-Gazdic line out against Kane?

After saying in the pre-game he wanted to do everything he could to keep the puck away from Kane?

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Horcoff with a goal under review (high)

Amazingly the leaves broadcast thinks it should (maybe) be a goal, but it isn’t.

141. Ribs says:

Larsen and J.Schultz in the same lineup. What, couldn’t fit Grebs in for the trifecta? Bring on the chaos!!

142. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Horcoff with a goal under review (high)

I am sure the Big Heads in Toronto got it right

143. Gerta Rauss says:

nycoil:
    Hate to be bearer of bad news for the Ehrhoff fans on this site, but on the MSG network intermissionabout 5 minutes ago for the Rangers-Sabres, they had Pat Lafontaine on. He said some of the candidates he is interviewing for the GM post, “may not be available until after the season.”

Decent possibility they go with the status quo until after the season. They may move expiring contracts like Ott or Miller, but the chances they move Ehrhoffin season are getting slimmer, I’d say.

Yeah, I read that somewhere in the last 24 hours and thought the same thing.

I’m losing my appetite for trading the #1 for (an Ehrhoff type). Trading it early in the season was predicated on having 60+ games to improve the team and move up the standings, making the pick worse for the team you traded it to. With 52 games remaining and counting, and the appearance that nothing is going to happen before Christmas at the earliest, I’m losing my nerve a little.

And if the org is intent on icing an AHL team they might as well drive this season into the ditch at this point.

HALL PASS!

145. VanOil says:

Did Hall teleport?

146. sliderule says:

Yak left the slot wide open just before Hall got his breakaway.

147. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Good ole Jones!

148. TheGreatMutato says:

Man, did Potter ever send that puck sailing.

EXPELLIARMUS

TEN POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR

some nice shifts so far tonight. I’m not buying into it because they’ll play shitty at some point, but this is watchable. And Marincin not bad, not bad.

150. icecastles says:

I think there’s something wrong with the Sportsnet graphic. Just tuned in and it showed the Oilers with a goal an Colorado with none. Can it be true?

151. TheGreatMutato says:

Dubs with a nice stop on Connor Banks. Kid can skate the river.

HALL PASS

153. jp says:

Hall saves the day. That was one ugly 5-3 up to that point…

HEMSKY PASS

155. jp says:

Wow. What year is it??

Great pass by Smyth, great finish by Hemmer!!

I got home at the right time!!

3-0. Now, KEEP GOING!

157. Minister D- says:

Nice, but…I think the Oilers will need to be up 6-0 before I can get comfortable.

158. jp says:

Ribs:

Marincin too. Can we get Gernat and Hunt too with Larsen, Schultz and Grebs?

159. D says:

This is interesting.

Nice play on the PK there by Lander.

161. Rebilled says:

They must have had the “we better score a lot of goals’ talk.

According to the current boxscore, last two goals were unassisted. Gotta be a mistake.

163. bookje says:

D:
    This is interesting.

This is maddening!

164. sliderule says:

After leaving the slot undefended on an early shift Yak makes a nice back check swivelling his head and marking a man on his last shift.
    That’s all the oilers need from all their players mark a man and the goals against will go down.

165. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That Smyth pass from the wall to a great Hemsky finish… on Colorado… we’ve seen this before!!!

166. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gene being ridiculously apologetic is endearing.

167. Romulus Apotheosis says:

THis use of the Misfits in commercials is just weird. I can’t get used to it… but it does put me in the mood for some Skulls!!

168. Thinker says:

Is that really how marincin is pronounced? Also has it been twelve years of sportsnet yet?

169. D says:

bookje: This is maddening!

I’m okay with that if we’re winning :)

170. Numenius says:

Thinker:

Yeah, I’m not looking forward to this 12 years of sportsnet. I could even handle the announcers, but I can’t stand how they stick in the one commercial between short breaks. The Avs feed has been so much nicer to watch for that reason especially.

But hey, at least sportsnet is the only thing we have to complain about this game. What a start.

171. Rebilled says:

Hopefully that’s the only Super Weird Goal On Dubnyk for the night.

172. Henry says:

I have never heard this crowd so quiet. Like the OIlers are getting the silent treatment.

173. TheGreatMutato says:

Fucking Conor Banks.

Oilers playing crappy. NO ONE could have seen it coming, SO consistent.

175. Andy P says:

Inconsistent team in front of an inconsistent goalie.

176. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This team is determined to make it hard on themselves. determined.

177. D says:

Okay, we’re back to Oiler hockey. I was worried there.

PERRON SCORES!

179. jp says:

Yeah Perron!!!! YEAH!!!

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cramble-Up!

181. OilClog says:

David Perron is untouchable.

182. Rebilled says:

DP’d!

183. jp says:

Rebilled:
    DP’d!

Intense!

184. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky is indispensable. He really is.

185. OilClog says:

Watching this game.. Hopkins the injured one?

186. jp says:

So I haven’t had a chance to catch up with the thread. Is Petry injured, or being punished?

187. Gerta Rauss says:

jp:

He is being “reset”

188. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp:

HSed.

OilClog:
    Watching this game.. Hopkins the injured one?

It sounded like Louie said it was Gagner at the beginning of the game.

189. LMHF#1 says:

Marincin has been very good. Excellent decision making.

190. Numenius says:

How can one Avalanche player keep 5 Oilers from getting the puck out?

191. jp says:

Gerta Rauss,

Romulus Apotheosis,

That’s what I figured. He has been bad lately, though still clearly among the best 6 defensemen. Maybe this helps some.

192. TeeVee says:

Yet another instance where JShultz just stands there after someone gets in the grill of our goalie.

This guy is such a pussy.

193. Numenius says:

I actually saw Oiler players picking up open Avalanche players on that defensive sequence.

194. jp says:

TeeVee:

This guy is such a pussy.

195. Rebilled says:

Numenius:
    How can one Avalanche player keep 5 Oilers from getting the puck out?

because Oilers!

196. TeeVee says:

jp: Did you ever see Gretzky helping out the goalie? There’s no comparison with the players, but that’s not part of Schultz’s game and it’s never going to be. He can still play hockey though.

He’s a defenceman, and part of his job is to defend the goalie. He was the closest man to the play when Mcginn took an extra swipe at Dubnyk. He did the same thing when whatshisfuck almost took Bryz’s head off; just skated away hoping someone else would handle it.

197. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It ain’t pretty:

And this isn’t exactly the best team in the league we are playing:

But… damnit I’ll take the luck and hope it lasts!

198. Kitchener says:

On the downside, our theories are all wrong and the Oil lead after 2.

Newer Comments »