AVALANCHE AT OILERS, G30 13-14

If we made a list of untouchables on the Oiler roster, would David Perron be on it? Would Sam Gagner be off the list? What about Justin Schultz? Unless the Oilers are willing to offer sheet a young defenseman with experience, it looks like they’re going to have to trade for one.

rockford

The Oilers can put their best P.I. on the case but the bottom line is that the kind of help they need costs a premium and 29 other teams are going to see them coming.  I’ll guess the list of players who Edmonton wouldn’t trade is probably five deep:

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Nail Yakupov
  4. Jordan Eberle
  5. Andrew Ference (nmc)

and that is followed by a secondary list of players

1. Justin Schultz
  2. David Perron
  3. Jeff Petry
  4. Sam Gagner (mtc 2014-15 as per tsn)
  5. Boyd Gordon

That’s my guess, maybe Gagner’s been punted and they’ll send him away before the NTC kicks in (but MacT doesn’t strike me as a guy who forgets a promise based on the names surrounding him). Who’s left? Ah, there’s the problem.

1. Ales Hemsky (expiring contract)
  2. Nick Schultz (expiring contract)
  3. Ilya Bryzgalov (expiring contract)
  4. Devan Dubnyk (expiring contract)
  5. the rest

A bunch of expiring conracts and the first round pick in 2014. So, can we all agree that the only thing they’re likely to trade is that 2014 1st rd pick? And further, that they aren’t likely to deal it until it has max value (draft)?

IIHF World Junior Championship - Canada v USA - Gold Medal Game

• Taylor Hall: “I don’t watch hockey these days, it makes me bitter seeing teams higher up in standings winning”

I don’t think it’s a good thing when the guy leading the youth brigade (or at least one of the leaders) can’t bring himself to see the truth, but on the other hand I quite like that his anger burns with a thousand suns. That should sustain him when the going gets tough in the post-season in 2???

UNDER PRESSURE

12AngryFonda

Apathy is creeping in to the fanbase and the Oilers brass has to be aware of all the fans showing up as empty seats. There are times when getting an Oiler ticket is impossible—this isn’t one of those times. Cold weather might have something to do with it, but it’s also true that fans have gone from anger and upset to  finding other pursuits.

That’s very bad, even with the money rolling in for the  good ship Oildrop.

I think we’ll see some changes soon, maybe in adding a coach and possibly a significant trade. I don’t think the #1 defenseman is coming, but maybe Kulikov or similar.

I know the season is lost, but this isn’t working. Eakins needs some help, bet MacT gets it for him.

new

It’s always exciting (for draft nuts like me) to see another drafted player make the NHL, and if Martin Marincin makes his debut tonight that’ll mean three players from the 2010 Entry Draft have played in the NHL (Taylor Hall, Tyler Pitlick and now Marincin). This is year four after that draft and it has gone from highly touted (by me) to much maligned (by many) and of course the truth is that there’s plenty of story yet to be written.

Pitlick is apparently getting closer to returning, Marincin may get his first cup of coffee and Hall is a gem despite the trials and tribulations of this season (and he’s not the same Hall as last season—they need to fix that right now).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

War, Inc. movie image Marisa Tomei

10am TSN 1260 it’ll be an interesting show! Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’ll be fun!

289 Responses to "AVALANCHE AT OILERS, G30 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. jp says:

TeeVee: He’s a defenceman, and part of his job is to defend the goalie. He was the closest man to the play when Mcginn took an extra swipe at Dubnyk. He did the same thing when whatshisfuck almost took Bryz’s head off; just skated away hoping someone else would handle it.

Listen, I agree Schultz is a pussy, and I don’t like it either. But what are you going to do? He is who he is. Some guys just don’t have it in them. He’s sure as hell not perfect, but he brings a lot of nice things. Do you want to send him away? Maybe you do, but imo you take the good with the bad. You compensate as best you can and take the good things he brings. One thing is for sure, you’re not going to turn Jr into a bruiser.

2. danny says:

David Perron is Bonafide.

The Edmonton Oilers are 2 weeks away from everywhere.

3. jp says:

Jesus, Gazdic looking like SMac or Laraque out there. Yikes.

4. B S says:

Say what you will about Gazdic, at least he does his job.

5. Kitchener says:

Gazdic may not be Messier, but he plays his role well.

6. G Money says:

Did I just see a facepuncher good?

Dirty hit, comes to the defense of his teammate, cleans clock.

7. RexLibris says:

Oiler fan poll to help settle a difference of opinion between myself and a Flames fan: David Perron is a clear defensive upgrade at wing over Jordan Eberle. Yay or nay?

8. Kitchener says:

Time for Dubey to earn another contract. Shut the door!

9. pboy says:

Brutal giveaway by Eberle there. Soft little backhander right to Duchene. Coach should maybe sit his ass for a shift or 2.

Arcobello is playing so well, it’s terrific to see. Effective.

11. RexLibris says:

Arcobello is playing so well, it’s terrific to see. Effective.

So then he sits for the next three? ;)

12. pboy says:

Has Arcobello been the Oilers most physical forward the last 2games? Better bench him again!

13. russ99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Heck yeah. Saw Danzig and Doyle unleash some epic Misfits at Riot Fest here in Chitown.

14. RexLibris says:

Morning guys at 1260 were trying to make the point that Arcobello is the center-version of Omark.

I’m usually open to all kinds of opinions but the stats I’ve seen don’t support that at all.

15. RexLibris says:

Ha!

ARCOBELLO SCORES!

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arco!!!!!

18. jp says:

Good for him! This might help keep him in the lineup, though a great pass last game got him ragged on…

19. rich says:

Ar-co-BELLO!!!

Nice!

20. kooler says:

arco for mayor

21. OilBuzz says:

I swear this team makes me bipolar

22. russ99 says:

Arco!!!

RexLibris:

24. jp says:

pboy:

He’s still leading all Oilers forwards in hits.

25. RexLibris says:

Nice to see the intensity of the Oilers increase with the lead.

26. OilBuzz says:

DAT HIT

27. pboy says:

I wonder if Eakins has the stones to sit Gagner for a game when Gordon is healthy?

28. RexLibris says:

Agreed. What I notice is that he makes good things happen for his linemates. To me, that is one of the principle factors of the best players in the league.

29. G Money says:

I hope this is a game that represents the waking of the slumbering giant known as Taylor Hall.

As contrasted with the Giant Midget Arcobello, who has most certainly not been slumbering this season…

RexLibris:

He does all kinds of good things: makes and takes a pass, works hard, has figured out how to use the other guy’s size against him, he musy be a very smart guy. Really enjoy his game.

31. Numenius says:

Lowetide: Arcobello actually does all kinds of things to help his team win without scoring (although he does that, too). That little play tonight where he knocked a bigger man off the puck and headed up ice, that’s a real simple little play, but effective.

I saw that defensive play too. Really impressive. The goal he got was well-deserved.

32. jp says:

RexLibris:

They’re actually completely correct. In Omark’s one (close to) full season he lead the team in CorsiON (3rd in CorsiREL). Arcobello is currently 1st in CorsiON and 2nd in CorsiREL. Both also lead the team in being unappreciated.

33. RexLibris says:

I’m praying that they can take this momentum and energy into Saturday.

Must. Beat. Flames.

34. Kitchener says:

I haven’t liked the healthy scratches throughout the season when they are announced, but the resulting sense that all players need to constantly giver’ seems established. All players realize that coasting may result in a trip to the press box.

Eberle (Smyth, Perron)

36. RexLibris says:

jp:

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man, Smyth is having a hell of a year. What a turn around.

38. Rebilled says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Great pass. Looked like a Team Canada goal.

39. RexLibris says:

They’ll have to be far more disciplined for next game. Not that the Flames are an offensive powerhouse, but they have been both very good and very fortunate on the PK tonight.

40. Andy P says:

RexLibris:
    I’m praying that they can take this momentum and energy into Saturday.

Must. Beat. Flames.

Must. Close. Out. This. Game. First. Please!

41. Southern Oil says:

They just had to win on my Bday! Great play by Smyth. Great to see him roll back the years.

42. jp says:

RexLibris: Granted, I missed the first part of the argument, but my understanding was that they felt he was a terrific AHL talent but not individually enough of an impact player to overcome his size.

I don’t live in Edmonton and didn’t hear the interview. But I’m pretty sure you’re completely correct in your interpretation. I was just pointing out that they were wrong on both players.

43. RexLibris says:

There. 6-2 loss erased.

44. RexLibris says:

Hall can get a hat trick next game.

45. Rebilled says:

Opposite Disaster.

Bizarro World Oilers.

46. jp says:

RexLibris:
    Hall can get a hat trick next game.

Spoke too soon!!

47. RexLibris says:

Holy jumping sheep sh!t.

48. Rebilled says:

Southern Oil,

8 goal game you lucky fella!

49. Kitchener says:

Folks – let’s remember these good times. When this team’s offense rolls, it runs like smoothest sports car you ever dreamed of.

50. RexLibris says:

jp: Spoke too soon!!

Or just in time? ;)

51. OilBuzz says:

I’m speechless

52. RexLibris says:

Kitchener:
    Folks – let’s remember these good times.When this team’s offense rolls, it runs like smoothest sports car you ever dreamed of.

Yeah, and then it spends six weeks in the shop getting fixed.

*sigh*

53. bookje says:

Maddening!!!

Fuck this team – seriously – I can handle steady abuse, I can, but I can’t handle this hope/abuse/hope/abuse/hope/abuse thing much longer.

For the love of gord, can they please just consistently compete for the next 30 games!!!!!

54. TeeVee says:

Man it’s good to see these guys smiling. The little interaction between Hall/Eberle and Gazdic at the bench after Hall’s hattrick was cool.

55. Gerta Rauss says:

I doubt the corgis are very attractive tonight but the 2 points are nice.

56. Andy P says:

RexLibris: Yeah, and then it spends six weeks in the shop getting fixed.
    *sigh*

I’m hoping it spent the pre-season and the first 30 games getting fixed.

About the only thing left is the engine core and the VIN.

57. jp says:

bookje:
    Maddening!!!

Speaking of 30 games…. Next segment starts on Saturday. And for those saying 20 games was a fair adjustment time – the record in the last 10 is not bad at all. The team is still frustrating as hell to watch, but there’s some good with the bad lately.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Awesome! I had no idea they’d ever get back together. How was the show?

59. G Money says:

bookje:
    Maddening!!!

Let us hope that it is part of an improving pattern:

First 25 games: hope/abuse/abuse/abuse/abuse

Next 25 games: hope/abuse/hope/abuse/hope

Last 32 games: hope/hope/hope/abuse/glory

If this is a sign of things to come with Taylor Hall, then I buy it. . .

60. Henry says:

Great game for the big guns, but Arcobello by eye was impressive. His line is supernice. 12 minutes, 4 on PK. Goal, Assist, 5 shots, hit, 2 blocks.

An efficient third line center. Or fourth, or second, or whatever. $600000.

61. Numenius says:

Dubnyk sure deserved the win today. If he hadn’t stopped Landeskog early just before Hall’s breakaway, this would have been a totally different game.

62. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    This sums it up.

Yup. Boys must’ve been breathing through their eyelids tonight.

Woodguy:
    This sums it up.

Ha, I saw you tweet that and it was worth watching again. Fun times. Now, beat Calgary saturday night!

64. Henry says:

RexLibris: Yup. Boys must’ve been breathing through their eyelids tonight.

I hope Belov doesnt become Crash Davis.

65. RexLibris says:

Henry: I hope Belov doesnt become Crash Davis.

Nope. I think that is Smyth.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… are we taking bets on the line-up standing pat?

67. Henry says:

RexLibris: Nope. I think that is Smyth.

Smyth got his dingers in the show. Davis had to school the scrubs.

68. dangilitis says:

Love Marisa Tomei – she’s an oscar winner, Jerry!

Props to LT and self-props for believing in Smytty through the long summer/fall. His passes were silky smooth tonight.

69. fifthcartel says:

Is Hall back or is there still another gear he has?

70. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So… are we taking bets on the line-up standing pat?

Swapping Acton for Lander even with Gordon out is an interesting, positive sign.

Gazdic had a better game tonight. He has struggled even in Oilers wins, but this game was different.

I’m not sure if it is possible to build a better line-up given the available healthy personnel.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins said Petry will be back in.

No word on Belov. wasn’t asked.

72. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Who goes out for Petry? Who would go out for Belov?

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andy P:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Who goes out for Petry? Who would go out for Belov?

74. Minister D- says:

Double digits in the W column, bitches!

[Ahem]

75. justDOit says:

Here’s a little skill. And this guy doesn’t play in the NHL!

76. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d guess Marincin would go out despite being an LD. and if Belov is back… Potter probably, maybe Larsen if he’s still nursing something.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil: It’s one game and I’m assuming Eakins likely sheltered him pretty well, but I saw Marincin pretty good in this game. I was expecting more chaos but he made some nice plays. I’d like it if they gave him a second game.

I would too… but I’d still bet he’s the likely candidate. Him or Potter at any rate.

78. G Money says:

Interesting game to see Parkatti’s “Expected Goals” statistic.

By Corsi, the Oilers got lit up like a Xmas tree.

By EG, it was almost dead even (49% EG for Oilers, 2.2 to 2.3 goals). In other words, a large percentage of the Corsi advantage for the Avs was of the low percentage variety, the actual dangerous chances were quite close, and the difference in the end was better than average goaltending for the Oilers vs worse than average goaltending for the Avs.

Is that a fair summary? (I am winding down a company and was writing $2M worth of cheques while the game was going on, so my attention was not exactly undivided …)

79. Hammers says:

Andy P:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Who goes out for Petry? Who would go out for Belov?

Obviously Potter . actually he should go back to OKL .

80. Henry says:

G Money:
    Interesting game to see Parkatti’s “Expected Goals” statistic.

By Corsi, the Oilers got lit up like a Xmas tree.

By EG, it was almost dead even (49% EG for Oilers, 2.2 to 2.3 goals).In other words, a large percentage of the Corsi advantage for the Avs was of the low percentage variety, the actual dangerous chances were quite close, and the difference in the end was better than average goaltending for the Oilers vs worse than average goaltending for the Avs.

G Money,

Have I told you lately how much I love your posts?

81. Hammers says:

Just read some of the other comments . You don’t send Marincin back as he has potential . Ithas to be Potter . We need to get these kids I to some games and potter has no future here . Reality people

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: (I am winding down a company and was writing $2M worth of cheques while the game was going on, so my attention was not exactly undivided …)

Give Knox a grant.

83. G Money says:

Henry: G Money,

Have I told you lately how much I love your posts?

Sarcastic bastard!

Romulus Apotheosis: Give Knox a grant.

84. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Give Knox a grant.

It’s Japanese.
    How do you know?
    Because I bought it in Japan.

85. Arrgeebee says:

I was lucky enough to get tickets to tonights game (my first game at Rexall in 3 years) and it was a pleasure to watch. It will take a few days to wipe this shit eating grin off my face!

Keep up the good work LT, you make following this team a enjoyable!!!

86. VanOil says:

Arrgeebee:
    I’ve watched every game this year and after the game I usually want to drink a bottle of scotch, curl up in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep.It will take a few days to wipe this shit eating grin off my face!

Shit eating grin is both my curse and my cuteness.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Only a token amount of the money is mine, but interestingly there are 43 different recipients in five countries, and includes, sadly, two recently departed. But hey, if I can finesse a little for Knox, I will … (only, who or what is a Knox?)

Don’t tell Spoiler, but it is a reference to the Burton Batman, one of my favorite scenes:

Robert Wuhl is fantastic… good in Cobb and Bull Durham too!

stevezie: It’s Japanese.
    How do you know?
    Because I bought it in Japan.

Exactly!

King of the Wicker People!

« Older Comments