BLUES AT OILERS G38, 13-14

The real shame of this season is losing Nail Yakupov’s momentum. The Oilers started the season with (really) no skill centers and have yet to provide the young man with a consistent, healthy and creative center. It’s completely galling, and I say that with a great deal of respect for the MacT/Eakins combination. The other three kids (Hall, Nuge, Ebs) are imbedded as cluster members, but the young man Nail is a rank outsider. Not good. That needs to change.

C FOR YAKShawn_Horcoff_2012

Remember when Shawn Horcoff helped Hall and Eberle back in 2010? He gave good counsel and helped carry the load until the training wheels came off and the sorties got easier to push and defend. Yakupov is getting Sam Gagner this season, and the numbers are kind of amazing compared to their respective plus/minus:

• Nail and Gagner together: 50.1
  • Nail without Samwise: 45.3
  • Sam without Yak City: 45.6

This is 5×5 Corsi for% courtesy Extra Skater. Yakupov is 1-2-3 -10 in his last ten games, an absolute shame for such a talented young player. He’s getting the same powerplay minutes as one year ago, but the Oilers with the man advantage currently are a help to no man. I think Yak and Nuge should be the feature players with the man advantage. Starting tonight. At the very least it’ll put the fear of Gord in a few people. Yak’s last goal came from an outstanding shift with Taylor Hall, who set him up wonderfully. Maybe give him 5 games with Hall or Nuge, get this Russian rocking.

OKLAHOMA! OKLAHOMA! OKLAHOMA! OK! Texas Stars vs. OKC Barons 12-20-13

Barons enjoyed a 2-0 win last night, Richard Bachman is quickly becoming the story in goaltending this season. His boxcars shine shine shine in both Edmonton (3, 3.02 .916) and OKC (11, 2.35 .929) and he’s certainly young enough (26) to have a career. I ranked him #28 on my top 40 winter list, but he’s playing extremely well in front of a team that can make goalies look shaky. Last night was the first SO of the season for the Barons.

Jonathan Willis has a terrific write up about the game here, and has nice things to say about both Martin Gernat and David Musil. I’m happy for both young men, hope they continue to develop along with Marincin, Klefbom, Davidson and the others. A guy like Fedun—his time is now—might beat all the kids to the NHL, but surely at least a couple of these young men are going to have productive NHL careers.

Curtis Hamilton (in photo from last night, courtesy Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved) played on a line with Tyler Pitlick and Ryan Martindale. I’m reminded of the ‘Bulldog line’ around the turn of the century, and how they all came up together under rookie coach Craig MacTavish, fall 2000. Brian Swanson, Michel Riesen and Daniel Cleary played about a dozen games together that season before Riesen and then eventually Swanson fell away, leaving Daniel Cleary to an NHL career that continues to this day. The Oilers badly need a Cleary from that group, suspect if it happens young Pitlick will be the answer.  Willis tweeted out the Fenwicks last night, and the ’2010 line’ was doing well, as was the Gernat-Klefbom and Marincin-Musil pairings. Good to see.

ungerThe first big star in St. Louis Blues history was Red Berenson, he walked all over the expansion division after coming over in a trade during the 1967-68 season. Berenson was traded for the man in the photo (Garry Unger) who Glen Sather tried to acquire around the expansion draft. The price? The draft pick that turned into Mark Messier. Slats would eventually pick up Unger for a more reasonable price (7th round pick in 1981) and the skilled C would play for the Oilers for parts of three seasons.

turnbullI’ve always enjoyed watching the Blues, they weren’t on television much during the early expansion years and I’m still trying to catch up. I could probably tell you something mildly interesting about each era of the Blues, but can say without hesitation that this era (the one we’re in now) is the best Blues team I’ve seen. I’m not sure about their goaltending, but they are ready for a deep run everywhere else—and they may come calling to Edmonton at the deadline.

I don’t really have much to say about this edition of the Oilers. Their goaltending killed them but is no longer the problem, their powerplay is a comedy and their record a tragedy. If they weren’t the Oilers I’d read a book instead.

280 Responses to "BLUES AT OILERS G38, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. flyfish1168 says:

Pablo Aimar: When is management going to fire the clueless and incompetent coach?When is the owner going to fire the idiots in management?When is it all going to end?

Pablo Aimar,

When Katz new area is half empty.

2. hunter1909 says:

Some of these Oilers look like they’d fit right into the England team.

3. flyfish1168 says:

Yahoo another shortie scored on us

4. Suntory Hanzo says:

Well…if there is any good news, I was supremely pissed that the Oilers traded O’Mark when they did, as OKC are in town to play the Heat on the 27th and 28th. (I live in Abbotsford, but grew up in SHerwood Park)

I grabbed 6 freebie tix from the UFV radio station that I have a show on, so I was going to go for free. But then Omark was gone and I was thinking how good is the game going to be? SHould I take people to one, or go see both with two others.

Then I just read that Grant Fuhr is at the game on Friday for the legends series that they put on here, so now I am back to delighted!

Coco(a) in the house!

I just wish they went back to the 1$ hotdog and 2$ beer Friday here. Those were the best. Except when I see my students at the game after having 6 or 7. :)

5. G Money says:

What is the modern-day NHL record for most-times-being-shut out in a season?

6. bookje says:

jake70:
    Did I just see 6 rings frantically texting on his smart phone?

Probably firing someone

7. fifthcartel says:

Just thinking of whatever they are going to do is making me scared. Oh well, Hall on After Hours should be gold.

8. D says:

Suntory Hanzo,

Oh man. Enjoy Fuhr. Wish I could be there for that!

9. steveb12344 says:

hunter1909:
    Some of these Oilers look like they’d fit right into the England team.

The Silly Nannies?

10. D says:

LT – that scotch must be really good. You’ve been a little quiet for the last little bit.

11. hunter1909 says:

Perron should be captain.

Eakins + MacT + Lowe + Assistants = lol

12. Suntory Hanzo says:

O..and if anyone is around next week for the OKC games in Abby, I could try to set you up for tickets. Have lots of coupons. bbillo@gmail.com (Brian)

13. Gret99zky says:

Playoffs next year, right?

What’s more likely, making the playoffs in either of the next two seasons or tying Florida’s post season drought record?

Yup.

14. Suntory Hanzo says:

D,

Problem is that he and Anderson are the only two Retired Jerseys that I don’t have. :(

15. hunter1909 says:

I’m going to pretend during the last minute that it’s Oiler’s leading game 7 of the 2006 finals .

16. D says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    D,

I see. But that still means you have a Coffey jersey :)

18. hunter1909 says:

Nice booing at the end. Too bad they don’t start the game like that and keep booing for 60 minutes.

19. Shingen says:

Thank god it’s over. Now we get a day off when we can look forward to getting shutout by Winnipeg on Monday.

20. G Money says:

“Man, Bryzgalov looked like he’s been measuring sidewalks upside down on that one.”

It wasn’t a shortie, but I think it was well-deserved.

For those thinking that Bryzgalov was the answer to our goaltending prayers, I fear that what we are seeing is the emergence of the “real” Bryzgalov. Career-wise he’s not really any better than Dubey, and last year Dubey was WAY better.

Not that it makes a difference at this point. But the fact that Dubnyk played so well last year meant we didn’t get a shot a Mackinnon, Barkov, or Monahan (not that I’m unhappy with Nurse), so a hot goalie at this point is the last thing the Oilers need. If you’re going to suck, at least keep drafting high, *someone* is going to be a difference maker someday.

21. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: I do not agree with the PP decisions

Fact is, NHL refs will never want to allow teams to go full blown ‘Vancouver Canuck’ and play to win games this way.

Oilers now remind me of the 1985 Ron Low Maple leafs. And that was one fucked up hockey team.

22. bookje says:

The Oilers are in big trouble.

23. Kitchener says:

D:
    Did Dubynk’s spirit slide into Bryz?

DD is the one Oiler with new hope tonight.

24. Andy P says:

Situation normal?

25. dcsj says:

At least MPS got a point…

26. D says:

Kitchener: DD is the one Oiler with new hope tonight.

That is a very good point!

27. OilBuzz says:

Is it bad that I was cheering for Elliot’s shutout? Cause I felt the oilers didn’t deserve a goal in that game.

28. Pablo Aimar says:

You know what needs to be said? The Oilers are total shit. They are on pace to finish with less than 60 points. They might finish LAST. Again.

29. bookje says:

No, this team is far worse than last years team despite having better players. Eakins said that was his 2 out of 10 (with regards to his blowing up at the team today). He better bring out his 10 out of 10.

It didn’t have to be this way. Keeping Ralph would have given MacT the option of firing him with a bad start. Good goaltending early may allowed Eakens to get settled. But it didn’t and now we are here.

There is no nice path forwards. It’s a firing (which may not be good). 2-3 more months of coach vs team, or it ship out the team and get new players while losing talent in trades.

30. Colieo87 says:

lowetide,

i don’t think stats matter much at this point the power play doesn’t need tweaking it needs a whole new 5 guys. this team is lost in the abyss of everyone trying to carry it on oneself shoulders we need to go back to the basics of fundamentals of basic hockey and ask each player why they love hockey..

31. OilBuzz says:

Three first overalls and we can’t score a single fucking goal.

32. flyfish1168 says:

Another good game plan and lineup supplied by Eakins. Its easy for Eakins to blame the players for poor execution. Accountability is not Eakins strong suit.

33. bookje says:

Does Yakupov’s demand for a trade become public over the holidays?

34. Pablo Aimar says:

bookje:
    Does Yakupov’s demand for a trade become public over the holidays?

Does he get his in before Hall does?

35. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: A crappy night, I do not agree with the PP decisions, but this needs to be said: the Oilers ARE improving in things that matter. Seriously.

OilBuzz,

Sorry LT I respect you but they are improving in the one important area and that is draft position. I don’t see it not even corsi

on another note. Yakupov deserves and needs probably 15 minutes of ice time to develop. lost season so lets the young players play.

36. gogliano says:

bookje:
    Without making any judgement on Eakins.Has any coach survived such a record to start their career?

Also curious about this. Any good historical parallels?

37. flyfish1168 says:

bookje:
    Does Yakupov’s demand for a trade become public over the holidays?

bookje,

I hope he does double standard here. Yakupov was not the problem last game and he sits for it. Accountability by the coach to be fair and with the lost season it is now to develop these players. He is not. That is why I’m pissed at eakins.

38. bookje says:

A crappy night, I do not agree with the PP decisions, but this needs to be said: the Scotch IS improving and that is what matters. Seriously.

I fixed it for you.

39. Kevin Lowe says:

And lastly I’ll say, there’s one other guy I believe in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups than me, so I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern.

40. fifthcartel says:

Healy mentioning trading for Weber…

-_-

This post-game panel is hilarious.

41. SpotTheLoon says:

They won’t fire Eakins. MacT recognizes they can’t have a revolving door at the coaching position so Eakins will get a lot more rope before he is ultimately hung. I’m sure the team is desperately trying to make a trade right now to address some of the imbalances that exist in the line up as there is a recognition there needs to be a different mix of players. But it aint’t easy to make deals in the current NHL.

Although the team’s record is horrific, there are some signs of improvement, as LT says. But there is no denying that this is painful to watch and frankly embarrassing. However, the alternative is to panic and make moves that might not best serve the long term interests of the team. I mean, what do you do? They have swum half way across the river and are caught in the rapids. Do you keep swimming forward or do you swim back to where you started? Forward they go but it is tough to watch.

42. LostBoy says:

I don’t believe this is true. What, specifically, quantitatively, is demonstrably better?

Why is Eakins a good coach?

43. Bulging Twine says:

Wow good firkin job Hall. (After Hours). Well done kid.

44. Colieo87 says:

Andy P,

the prob is the team lost there mojo and they cant wait for the season to be over we have to many ligt weights and no one want to back check heard enough. 2017 is when and where we will start contending. new arean and all.. kaz will start taking owner ship then

45. OilBuzz says:

Bulging Twine:
    Wow good firkin job Hall.(After Hours).Well done kid.

I missed it, what’d he say?

46. Southern Oil says:

OilBuzz: I missed it, what’d he say?

I second that Bulging Twine – what did he say? Can’t get After Hours on Game Center.

47. Pablo Aimar says:

LostBoy:
    Why is Eakins a good coach?

Belief. Dallas Eakins MUST be a good coach. This team MUST be progressing. Because the alternative is that all the years of misery have been endured for nothing. There is not going to be a payoff. And on some level I can’t blame people for not wanting to admit that.

48. SpotTheLoon says:

Pablo Aimar,

The team is progressing if for no other reason than they have more capital in player quality than they did a few years ago.

49. Bulging Twine says:

OilBuzz,

You’d have to see it yourself. A very tough situation and some awkward questions and he stood in there well. Didn’t deny any of the struggles and owned them as a team. Maintained some positivity. Didn’t get negative or blame.

50. Suntory Hanzo says:

Bulging Twine,

Agreed. Could someone post a Coles notes version of after hours for those without tv?

51. nycoil says:

Went to go see “Waiting for Godot” on Broadway tonight. Met Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart after the show for the second time this week. Fantastic performers and fine gentlemen. Got home to see that another Stewart had a Broadway-esque performance against the boys.

I feel a little ashamed for not watching the game tonight but sadly it is still only December and yet the playoffs have already been out of reach for six weeks.

I will be back watching the next game like the fool that I am. I know we have a Godot on this site but waiting for the playoffs seems as futile an exercise sometimes.

52. TheOtherJohn says:

Thought we’d get a commentary by someone how size is irrelevant in the NHL. It may be, just not off of what we saw tonight

53. Andy P says:

I don’t see “darkness” in Hall. I see quite a few Coaches arrive with strong resumes only to be replaced in short order. We’ve seen Dithers replaced. we’ve seen the training staff replaced, and most of the players replaced. All the while things never really got better.
    Right now MacT, Eakins and the roster are all deckchairs on the sinking ship SS Oiler.

Is there any other constant since 2008/9 than Smith and Bucky? Bucky took Springfield up to a.500 team and has had some other assistant coaching stints. Smith was a scout.

Bucky runs the PP and Offense. Both are FUBAR. Smith runs the Defense. That’s FUBAR too.

Both may have been good in their previous roles. Both look like good men. Effective resource management would be to give them both a reset, replacing them with men better known to Eakins personally, and start afresh.

Or, keep trying to see the positive, trade pieces in and out, keep the problem firmly in place and utterly destroy the organization from top to bottom through implosion.

Just sayin’, folks.

Edit: Wont surprise me if Eakins resigns and MacT has to step back in as coach.

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pablo Aimar: When is it all going to end?
    hunter1909: Sometime before the Sun explodes. Right Bruce?

The Oilers are already at the white dwarf stage.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, this turned out nearly as well!

56. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money: a hot goalie at this point is the last thing the Oilers need.

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookje:

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: You nailed the reason why Khabibulin has been criminally underrated by the Oilers fanbase.

Are you sure his 4-6-1 record with a .923 from last year qualifies as a contribution toward lottery fun?

D:
    LT – that scotch must be really good.You’ve been a little quiet for the last little bit.

Had to take the dog out, and then I got thinking…

60. PaperDesigner says:

At this point, I can only think of one explanation. God hates the Oilers. Only divine intervention can explain a team this consistently horrible with no input from Mike Milbury or Toronto`s ownership group.

Either that, or we`re all part of a matrix-like experiment where Oilers fan are put through increasingly tortuous situations to see who the last person off the bandwagon is.

If someone wants to try to explain the record another way, I`m all ears.

61. Hammers says:

Hell screw it . my 20 yr old scotch doesn’t ease this pain . Remember fans trade any of Hall , Ebs , RNH , Yak or J schultz and they get what they want not what they deserve .The way there playing they need this on there resume LOOSER . Don’t care anymore ; bag skate them ; bench them , leave them with Eakins ; If I was McT i would buy all of this team a mirror for christmas with the words PART OF THE PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTION and put those mirrors in there stalls .

62. PaperDesigner says:

In fact, I have an idea that might make us all happier.

For the rest of the season, let`s dedicate the three hours we currently have set aside to watch Oilers games to PRETENDING THE OILERS DON`T EXIST. We can use that time to pursue some sort of hobby, whether new or old. We can then all gather on the old Al Gore here at Lowetide`s on game nights, and pretend this is some sort of hobbyist blog, or general discussion forum, and we can all have a lovely chat about everything but the Oilers. I can tell you all about, say, my piano playing or the game programming skills I`m attempting to pick up, and I can hear about all the fascinating things you are learning and doing. Maybe we can even discuss less volatile topics, like religion, sex and politics.

Lowetide, if you could do game day threads as code phrases such as ‘the crow flies at midnight’ and ‘the owls are not what they seem’, so as to not remind us overly much that the Oilers exist, that would be grand. A time in the title would be helpful, though, so as to give us a start time for the Oilers magical three hour evaporation from existence.

Hey, and if a few brave souls could volunteer to check the score on their smart phone or what have you, if it happens to be the game of the month where the Oilers actually are winning, they can alert us, and we can watch and cheer for them for the last ten minutes or so. Imagine all the joy with watching a competitive team that only plays ten or so times a year!

Mm, lwe need a name, though. Let’s call it… What Oilers? We can say that anytime anyone brings up the game. For example, “man, the Oilers are losing again…” “What Oilers?” “Well, they may be losing 17-2, but at least Arcobello has a two point game going.” “What Oilers?” “They need to fire MacTavish, Lowe, Eakins, Buchberger, Smith, Acton, and trade Petry, Gagner, Yakupov, Eberle, Gordon, Smyth, Jones, Joensuu, Schultz, Schultz, Dubnyk and their first round pick in 2014 and 2015 for a defenceman. ANY DEFENCEMAN.” “What Oilers?”

Mm, it’s beautiful. I look forward to a much more productive and happy four months ahead!

63. PaperDesigner says:

Hammers:

I’m not surprised that you’re posting while drunk. I’m surprised there aren’t more.

Might I invite you to ask… What Oilers? :D Eh? Eh? *Points shamelessly to the above post*

64. DeadmanWaking says:

There’s an aphorism in beer making: visible signs of fermentation are vastly overrated.

65. jake70 says:

Lowetide: Had to take the dog out, and then I got thinking…

Oh oh, LT doing his Trudeau “walk in the snow”?

66. rich says:

Bruce McCurdy: Ron Lancaster started out 4-28 his first two years. Then he went on to win a Grey Cup … with a different team, mind, and with a decade “vacation” in between jobs to figure a few things out.

Another would be Bill Parcells who went 3-12-1 his first year with the NY Giants (1983), nearly got fired and came back the 2nd year to make the playoffs. Two years later won his first Super Bowl.

They also turned half the roster over the next season (1984) and I’d say that’s about in order here.

67. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy: The Sun won’t quite explode, it’s not massive enough. Instead it will swell to become a red giant, then shed its outer atmosphere while its remaining core will shrink down to become a white dwarf. A fading ember, utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The Oilers are already at the white dwarf stage.

Why do you hate the sun? Someday it’s going to turn its game around and go Supernova. Bruce wrecked Sol!

68. theres oil in virginia says:

OilBuzz: http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1011525

Taylor Hall is so obviously trying to get traded out of Edmonton. I mean when he says “I love Edmonton” you can just tell he really means “I would love to get traded out of Edmonton”. I’m sure this interview won’t actually stop folks from saying that he wants out and he’s a “darksider”, etc. After all, what do facts have to do with invented narratives?

69. wintoon says:

After last nights loss by the Oilers criticism is flooding in from across the hockey world. The Coach, the players, the HNIC Panel, the MSM, the bloggers and the fans are all in full voice. However, the quintessential statement made by a fan was when he/she threw their Oilers Jersey on the ice after the game. Given the sports culture and the pride with which a team jersey is worn, there can be no greater statement made to an organization.

For Katz and Lowe and MacTavish those idyllic days of “Oilers Camelot” have long since come to an end and they must, individually and as a group , face the facts. The Oilers are a brutal hockey club and the launch of the new arena in Edmonton may well be a debacle if they are not able to set a winning course for the club. Very difficult but Good Luck.

70. russ99 says:

We lose six in a row, and score six goals in those games, yet the coach is going off on the players talking about “commitment”.

Unreal. Most coaches wouldl work hard to change what isn’t working, ours likes to throw the players under the bus to the press and stay the course.

71. oliveoilers says:

fifthcartel:
    Healy mentioning trading for Weber…

-_-

This post-game panel is hilarious.

We can’t trade for Weber, we lost the rights to O’Mark! LOL

72. cabbiesmacker says:

Hammers:

.The way there playing they need this on there resume LOOSER .

Sew yew think the problem is there two tight?

Hear Hear.

73. cabbiesmacker says:

Andy P:

Is there any other constant since 2008/9 than Smith and Bucky?

Lowe and MacTavish?

Joey, and the PA announcer too but I don’t hold them quite as responsible.

74. cabbiesmacker says:

Colieo87:
    Andy P,

This pretty much sums things up.

Damn I wish I’d bought a liquor store a couple of months back.

75. oliveoilers says:

Consistency, eh? Just because I replaced my ’85 Dodge with a crappy new Neon doesn’t mean it was the right thing to do, or the right decision to keep it when it keeps breaking down. I look at the Oilers play and see players isolated all the time, not supported, incorrect lanes skated, incorrect set up in defence. That is all coach, baby, you generally don’t make it out of junior if you can’t do as the coach tells you. I have been posting for a while that DE is a sound bites guy that NEVER takes responsibility. And if he doesn’t, why should the players? Leaders lead. That’s the point.

76. fishman says:

As I sit and have a morning coffee and read through the comments I am very thankfully I decided to take my wife to a movie last night (Hobbit # 2) to ensure I wouldn’t be tempted to turn the game on! Pretty sad when a life long Oiler fan has to plan to avoid watching his team on HNIC on a cold Sat evening. Can things really get any worse? We are the laughing stock of the NHL. Maybe I should take guitar lessons???? Only way to get Katz’s attention will be through his pocket book and empty seats, poor beer sales and zero merchandise sales. Come on people do your part!

77. Old School G says:

cabbiesmacker: This pretty much sums things up.

Damn I wish I’d bought a liquor store a couple of months back.

You got me laughing there, Cabbiesmacker!

78. edoil1 says:

fishman,

The merchandise problem and ticket problem’s “have”already started, our company had 2 gold tickets for the game no one wanted ,had to do an all call to give them away ,poor people,who had to sit through that,would not want good customers subjected to it.Usually I buy some Oiler stuff for my nephews at Can.Tire,not this time,it’s Christmas,no downer presents allowed, almost all the Oiler merchandise still on the shelf,so next year the retailers will order less,THAT is where Katz will start to see it,Why can’t Lowe do the right thing,just an honest “things have not worked out,I will step down for the good of the team and look after the Oil Kings and OKC or something like that,My god ,he’s like the Knight on the Monty Python skit ,”It’s only a flesh wound”,after his arms and legs get chopped off,That is A comedy,this is now a comedy.

79. RMGS says:

BrazilianOil:
    RMGS,

Do you already buyed your flight tickets?

Not yet, but we’re looking for something in August!

« Older Comments