BRUINS AT OILERS, G33 13-14

The Bruins were my team as a kid. The adults had the Leafs and their old timey haircuts, there were people who were Montreal fans (we didn’t see them much) and some Detroit Red Wings fans. I don’t remember a Bruin fan who had a real job, but man all the kids loved Bobby Orr. My Dad didn’t like the Bruins, they were “hoods” and “hippies” and “long hairs” and I had all of their hockey cards (Orr was way at the back, because the rotation was line 1 C-L-R, line 2 C-L-R, etc so it was Esposito-Cashman-Hodge; Stanfield-Bucyk-McKenzie and on it went. Orr and Dallas Smith were the first defensemen, then the rest of the D and Cheevers-Johnston). I love those old Boston black uniforms, they’re wonderful, although the Chicago red and the Detroit red are also very cool.

orr7We’re going to see a devastating defenseman tonight. Zdeno Chara continues a tradition that has seen the Boston Bruins boast many great defensemen in NHL history (Eddie Shore, Bobby Orr, Raymond Bourque) and Chara is possibly the best defenseman of his generation. Among recently-active defensemen who are in a HHOF discussion, I would rank Chara behind only Pronger and ahead of Gonchar, Dan Boyle and Roman Hamrlik, Kimmo Timonen and Ed Jovanovski. I expect that Pronger, Chara, Gonchar and Boyle eventually make it in.

The Oilers have one defenseman (Coffey) and one goalie (Fuhr) in the Hall, but the heart of greatness in Edmonton was in the forwards (Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson). I think Kevin Lowe makes it in eventually.

nurse1Darnell Nurse is the great hope for the future, and he’s tracking very well in the OHL this season. His NHLE is 82, 7-19-26 and that’s a very fine number, plus the reports we’re hearing this year are positive. The WJ oversight is a down arrow, but for me this is a guy who the Oilers should think about leaving in junior for another season. Give the club a chance to develop Marincin and Klefbom (or trade them) and have Nurse arrive in the NHL when the Oilers have their stuff together. No hurry. It worked for Larry freaking Robinson.

nuge gets knocked downIt’s going to be a tough night for the Oilers, especially a young center like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The club they are facing is built to physically intimidate and to win battles, whereas RNH is about anticipation and finesse. When he’s 25 this will be a different fight, but tonight my friends this is unlikely to go well. If the Nuge comes out of this game -2 or less, that should be considered a victory. Sam Gagner could get lit on fire. Ordinarily, I enter a game like tonight with at least some hope, but after the Chicago game I think we have to agree that the next three games could be 0-3 even if the young Oil play well.

They’re not yet good enough. Full stop. You give RNH another two  years, and more help? This thing is going to go big (providing they can find the right 6′s and 7′s and 9′s).

ference12

Andrew Ference is an interesting guy to listen to, he’s not just your average jock quote. Joanne Ireland had a nice write up  on him yesterday, and it included a quote we should probably remember later tonight:

• Ference:  “You see parallels (to Boston) here. Management has brought in a coach who is going to hold everybody’s feet to the fire and implement a system he wants played here. In my shoes, looking at it, I’m saying well hopefully this is the same process we’re going through. As long as we stick with it and have the right personnel, there’s no reason we can’t take the same path as the Bruins have.”

Not everyone who plays for the Oilers tonight will be here when the good times roll. The year Ference arrived Boston tried 5 goalies and 14 defensemen and turned over much of the roster in following seasons. Looking at that roster there are so many familiar names (Tim Thomas, Chara, Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci) but also a large number of castoffs (Marco Sturm, Glen Murray, Paul Mara, Shean Donovan, Mark Mowers, Jason York) it makes one realize many of the players skating for the Oilers now won’t be here three years from now.

TRADE DEADLINE

hemsky common

Speaking of players moving, I keep wondering about the deadline and which players will be heading out. I keep coming back to the new GM/coach and what they’ve said and done in regard to the current players. Ales Hemsky was Dead Man Walking under the previous regime, I don’t think Steve Tambellini had much time for him and do believe Kevin Lowe was the major reason 83 still walks these streets. Does that mean Hemsky will get another contract? I think it’s possible. Would that mean trading another RW? Not necessarily.

• C: RNH,  Gagner, Gordon
  • L: Hall, Perron, Kulemin
  • R: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky

I can see something like this happening, although Gagner’s wonky center play would have to be improved. Anyway, I’ve always felt Hemsky would be in play and that’s likely true now, but if you check out which way the wind blows it seems to me Hemmer is inside and Dubnyk is outside.

ROOKIE COACH

DallasEakinsWhiteboardSpedUp

Dallas Eakins had a candid conversation with Terry Jones and the article is here. We’ve talked at length about the trials of bringing in a new coach and a rookie to the position, and Eakins basically says the same thing here. Good job by Jones.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

adams3

It’s a big night and a busy show this morning. At 10 on TSN 1260 I’ll be joined by:

• Rob Soria from Oil Drop. We’ll talk about Dubnyk and Gagner and their future in Edmonton.
  • Alex Thomas from Oilers Rig. Oilers and Bruins, plus HOW does a guy from Woburn, Massachusetts end up being an Oiler fan.
  • Sarah Connors from Stanley Cup of Chowder. We’ll talk Bruins and life after Tyler Seguin.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ and Connor Halley will have the NFL picture.

330 Responses to "BRUINS AT OILERS, G33 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. mumbai max says:

Looking at the standings in black and white can be sobering or even downright depressing. However, looking a bit closer reveals that there are 8 clubs which are 6 points or less ahead. And only ONE of them has a winning record in the past 10 games. If the Oil can continue to chip away with 6-4 segments, they will climb into the top 20 before it is all said and done. That does not seem like a very lofty goal, but given the stench of the first 20 games, ending the season in 19th would be manna from heaven.

2. spoiler says:

Nik Lidstrom doesn’t count on the list of great Dmen of the Chara-Pronger generation?

spoiler,

Nik’s been retired for a cycle, just didn’t show up on the active list (Pronger does). Of COURSE Lidstrom counts.

4. bookje says:

Robin Brownalee predicted the Oilers to go 0-4 in the next 4 games. I think that’s a good omen.

5. spoiler says:

Lowetide: spoiler, Nik’s been retired for a cycle, st didn’t show up on the active list (Pronger does). Of COURSE Lidstrom counts.

Why do you hate Lidstrom so much? And the number 8? Its always 6s, 7s, and 9s.

Actually I brought up LIdstrom because I have always wondered and been confused by what constitutes a generation in hockey.

6. spoiler says:

I think Yak is gone after his next hot streak. I don’t see him lasting to the deadline. I think the chances he’s still on the team next year are about 20%.

7. Ca$h-Money! says:

As discussed a thread or two ago, keeping Hemsky isn’t the problem, but it will be if they don’t pay him like a 3RW.

8. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

So the unconventional C-L-R ordering was in place even as a kid.

9. DeadmanWaking says:

mumbai max: If the Oil can continue to chip away with 6-4 segments, they will climb into the top 20 before it is all said and done.

This is true. However, if we pull off even 3-3-1 over the next seven, cue the Hallelujah chorus. If I had to take either 4-2-1 or 0-6-1 in an office pool, I know which one I’d be picking.

Unless Joensuu turns into a dotcom-era Keith Tkachuk over night, we’re in for a beating on this next segment. If, in addition, Yakupov turns into Kurri and J. S. “Jaywalk” turns into Coffey all at the same time then I’ll flip my vote.

Side note: Instead of collecting significant pucks for Yakupov, they should hacksaw out the most impressive dings in the crossbar, and mount them on small plaques for the Yakupov iron-Tsar scalp collection with captions like “Goalie found jockstrap in left sock a day later.”

I’m actually a bit optimistic that we’ll show flashes of holding our own, but not yet for 60 minutes while being ground down by the best teams, all of whom have now nailed the CBJ and Avalanche “Oiler hockey sucks” coaching memo to the team bulletin board, with a little doodle on the side of the Mongol leadership having a nice picnic on top of a wooden platform supported by fresh captives, stacked like cordwood six layers deep–they were especially mad about some small treachery, I forget what.

10. David says:

Are the bruins probably going to win? Yes. But all the certainty here that the Oilers stand no chance and Nuge stands no chance is a bit out of line. Could this be a beat down? Yes. By either team. That’s why they play the game.

11. David says:

I’m hoping and praying the Oilers win tonight with all my strength. Sort of for the Oilers, but mostly for my sanity. If the Oilers lose I’m not reading any Oilers blogs tommorrow. I won’t be able to stand the thousands of comments that will be the Oilers put up their 7-3-1 streak against terrible teams blah blah blah… They play a good team and can’t compete blah blah blah… Oiler fans have turned so sour I think they want this team to fail. They certainly enjoy ripping it apart. It’s a sad state.

12. nelson88 says:

If Goron is back tonight I give the Oilers a fighting chance. The Bruins are dinged up and will hopefully be looking ahead to the matchup with the Canucks.

13. Ryan says:

Are you Sarah Connor?

There scratched that itch.

14. 8p0intgame says:

This may have been discussed before, but is there a rule that states Griffin Reinhart must play at the WJC this year because of his suspension?

I am asking because I compared Darnell Nurse to Reinhart last week. They are similar in age, height, and weight, but Nurse has better point totals. I didn’t adjust them for different leagues but the gap between those two players seemed large enough for it not to matter anyway. Nurse is also available out of the gate while Reinhart has to sit for 2 or 3 more games. If “grit” is a factor, then I would like to point out that Nurse has more penalty minutes than Reinhart too…

15. Caramel Obvious says:

Regarding Hemsky. I’ve always liked him, however I have never seen him play so hard. I think he’s bought into Eakins more than any other player except for maybe the new guys (as an aside Perron, Ference, Gordon, Larsen–does anyone complain about them. What does that say?). Back to Hemsky, he’s flying up and down the ice. Besides his general quality of play which I think is very high, I think it would be a mistake to trade him for that reason alone. Keep the guys that have bought in. Hemsky has bought in.

16. slopitch says:

Yak for Vanek and G Reinhart or Hamonic? I dunno, I hate pretty much every Yak trade. Love the guy.

Boston is relying pretty hard on raask this year. I think they can’t had this time. Go oilers. Boston will remain dominant as long as Chara is elite. Of course I said that about Detroit and Lidstrom. But why they traded Seguin is still a mystery. Kid looks fine in Dallas.

17. Old School G says:

Caramel Obvious:

Back to the new guys, if I can go a little pro-MacT here for a second, are any of the new guys disappointing?Any?The answer to this is, I think, a clear no. Throw in the move he didn’t make (trading Hemsky) and criticisms of MacT become puerile childishness.

(he states as if it’s just so easy)

18. Logan91 says:

8p0intgame:

There’s no rule saying Griffin MUST play, but he can’t play in any IIHF tournament until his suspension is over. He is suspended for 4 games I believe and cannot play until the New Years eve game.

He played well during the subway series which is one of the reasons why they chose him over Nurse.

19. FastOil says:

David:

I don’t mean to be offensive but when I read that I thought is David a new fan? Has he been watching this team since the 05 lockout?

Being positive is nice but reality is nice too even if ugly. The team seems to be getting better, but they were out of the playoffs before the snow flew. Yes they had bad luck which is a big part of hockey, luck I mean. But when bad luck is perpetual, something else is really going on, the old fail to plan, plan to fail. No centres. Or no NHL centres, plenty to be had.

20. Bushed says:

LT:

“Sam Gagner could get lit on fire.”

A little harsh, but I understand the sentiment.

Maybe we could just trade him instead, but if there’s no value in the marketplace, torch away!

(Is this really allowed under the CBA?)

21. nycoil says:

I have a feeling we might win this one tonight. The problem vs the Canes was that the boys took their foot off the pedal thinking they had it in the bag. This one is going to be much tighter. The Bruins are good, but built for the playoffs. They don’t blow people out of the water like the ‘Hawks and they let teams hang close, like the Flames the other night.. It’s going to be tight, and the kids will make a couple of mistakes, but the compete level will be solid overall and with Rask probably out with the flu, I think a one goal win might be in order.

LT, in response to your DD comment, do you see any potential FA goalie candidates from Europe that the Oilers could target this summer? Was a bit bitter last night watching Raanta play so well for the ‘Hawks when they already have Crawford. Would love if we could find a guy like that overseas for at least the backup job next year.

22. TheOtherJohn says:

If the arrows are all pointing to the good as everyone says this should be a win for the Oil. Boston is without Paille, Loui Eriksson, Chris Kelly,Dougie Hamilton, Adam McQuaid and Thornton….soon to be the recipient of a HUGE suspension.

Re: Oil build like Bruins…..no Chara. But we got Ference

23. Hammers says:

Old School G: To build on this a bit. The dust has settled and the team looks to be going the right way. If MacT can repeat what he did last offseason he will effectively have turned this team around in very short order. Perron, Ference, Larsen, Gordon, and Belov are all working out. Pick up another five or six of these kinds of players again, add them to our current lot, subtract a few current players that don’t seem to be jiving (take your pick) and we have ourselves a competitive team!

(he states as if it’s just so easy)

You forgot Arcobello who McT believed in and has been proven to be correct . Funny when you try to compare Tambo & McT you have to shake your head. McTavish Is so much smarter and his new boys are in some ways becoming the leaders . As for Hemsky he may make him a decent offer ,not overpay but decent . His biggest task is the “D” & goal.

24. fuzzy muppet says:

Please stop trading Yakupov. let him play a season or two to figure out the game. Like LT says, they don’t know what they have in him yet.

25. LMHF#1 says:

I like the discussion of Chara’s place in this generation and would say that he is the only guy that possibly could have replaced Pronger, which to Lowe’s credit is why he went after him. Sadly he had zero interest in taking the Oilers generous offer. Really too bad. Bet that would have worked out quite well.

26. Old School G says:

Hammers: You forgot Arcobello who McT believed in and has been proven to be correct . Funny when you try to compare Tambo & McTyou have to shake your head. McTavish Is so much smarter and his new boys are in some ways becoming the leaders . As for Hemsky he may make him a decent offer ,not overpay but decent . His biggest task is the “D” & goal.

ARCO! You’re right, I forgot him he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite Oilers to watch out there too. Every time he finishes one of his sneaky good hits I smile, can’t tell him nothin!

27. Logan91 says:

Flames just fired Feaster and Weisbrod.

Burke is going to make that team pretty darn good

28. stener says:

well… there goes Jay Feaster

29. Ribs says:

Beauty article. I wish Eakins had adapted sooner into the season but that may have been unreasonable. So glad to read this.

30. FastOil says:

stener:
    well… there goes Jay Feaster

Do you think MacT is in trouble now?

31. stevezie says:

stener:
    well… there goes Jay Feaster

Interesting timing. The team was doing exactly what it was designed to do, non? I’d say the try they were showing could even be used as an argument that they were out-preforming predictions.

There’s nothing in Feaster’s time in Calgary that suggests he was a good GM, but he was told not to dismantle a crumbling empire and then when Iggy and Kipper left he was told to tank. Did what he was asked.

32. russ99 says:

Ribs,

This makes me feel tons better about Eakins. Finally…

And to all those posters who ripped on my posts that a coach shouldn’t adapt to the players he has… :p

Love the Calgary move. This has to put some pressure on the Oilers front office. Not necessarily MacT or Eakins, but some of the long-entrenched guys with a poor track record.

At some point Katz is going to have to choose between winning and playing with his 80′s boys on the bus buddies. IMO, I still think that’s being delayed until the arena opens.

33. Caramel Obvious says:

russ99:
    Ribs,

This makes me feel tons better about Eakins. Finally…

This is hilarious. That article was a clear attempt of Jones attempting to impose a narrative on the team and you’ve bought it. Notice there wasn’t a single specific claim in that entire article.

Incidentally, Eakins has always, from day one, given the impression of adapting to the differences of his players in terms of their personalities.

So short story he was never as inflexible as you thought, and there is no evidence that he has changed his tactical strategies to any great degree. The principles (puck possession–fluidity between offense and defense–mobility) are all the same. Eakins even said at the beginning of the year and repeated recently that the system talk is exaggerated. At the beginning of the year he said “they all work,” and recently he said that there are only “three different ways teams play.”

Incidentally does anyone know what he’s talking about there.

34. Melman says:

Interesting timing with Feaster – the only real move he’s made since the start of the year was acquiring Ladi. I wonder if that was done with Burke on board with the trade or not? Hard to imagine it wasn’t. I’d almost think for Feaster it’s a relief since it was only a matter of time and it would truly suck waking up each day wondering whether this is the day that you get pink slipped.

35. oilersfan says:

when the Oilers play the bigger teams that play a very defensive style, like Boston, LA, Phoenix, Anaheim, St. Louis, and Vancouver they should play a totally different system. Basically those teams play a version of the trap or left wing lock. They check tight and wait for the Oilers to turn over the puck. Because the OIlers are themselves, they turn the puck over twice as much as usual against those teams.

I think what the Oilers should do is play the trap right back against those teams. sit back, dump and chase, etc, and wait to win on the PP or 4×4 or OT or shootout. it would be boring but no more so than being down 2-0 and the other team trapping us the rest of the game.

Otherwise they basically will lose all the games 4-1 or 3-0.

36. denny33 says:

Caramel Obvious,

Incidentally does anyone know what he’s talking about there.
    ******************************************************************************
    The article was based on Dallas Eakins’ press conference …Terry got this article. Directly from Eakins mouth.

This is not tough stuff here….

Eakins deserves a lot of credit for changing course.

37. bookje says:

Just once I would like to see a situation where they bring in the vulture coach/gm and the team turns around before the fire the other guy so that they end up with the problem of having to keep both around.

38. stener says:

FastOil,

depends if we hire burke before he’s given the reins in calgary

39. stener says:

stevezie,

Agreed. Really weird timing. Wonder if it’s something about saving some money on food for the Flames upcoming xmas party…

All jokes aside, I’m curious to see what Burke does (assuming he is getting the job). I remember earlier in the season he didn’t sound keen on Baertschi. You also have to wonder at the history between Phaneuf and Burke/Calgary.

Interesting days ahead…

40. FastOil says:

stener:
    FastOil,

depends if we hire burke before he’s given the reins in calgary

Wouldn’t that be something, Lowe and Burke kicking each other under the table trying to be the most legendary, MacT shaking his head.

41. stener says:

You gotta think Burke is keeping Giordano around, but I wonder if TJ Brodie could be freed for the right price? I’ve always seen him good (haven’t checked into his underlying #’s)

42. OilClog says:

I’m really interested to see which Oilers team shows up tonight.. It will be a blow out either way.

43. stener says:

FastOil,

throw bryz in the room and we’re halfway to a new reality show on TLC

44. Bank Shot says:

.Eakins even said at the beginning of the year and repeated recently that the system talk is exaggerated.At the beginning of the year he said “they all work,” and recently he said that there are only “three different ways teams play.”

Incidentally does anyone know what he’s talking about there.

Hockey is all about controlling the middle of the ice. Since you only have five guys to do so, there are only a few different ways to align your “chess pieces” and still have a formation that defends the important areas of the ice.

One the forecheck you have basically the 1-4 (passive trap), 1-2-2(active trap), 1-3-1 (guy boucher’s baby), 2-3 (left wing lock), 2-1-2 (aggresive forecheck), 2-2-1 (torpedo).

You typically usually see the 1-2-2, 2-1-2, and 2-3 in today’s NHL with the 1-4 used when protecting a lead. I’d say 1-2-2 is the most common. 2-1-2 is going to be used more commonly by teams trailing, although this was pretty much the standard forecheck taught when I was playing minor hockey.

In the D-zone you basically have the overload which is Eakin’s “swarm”, Box +1, collapsing coverage, and man on man.

Every NHL team uses a combination of these systems and I’m sure they all have their own unique tactical wrinkles, but the basic systems from team to team aren’t all that varied really.

45. LMHF#1 says:

Feel sorry for those of you watching on Sportsnet tonight…you get Jack Michaels doing play-by-play.

Really too bad they couldn’t have just cloned us a couple Rods along the way.

46. Tapdog says:

oilersfan,

If the Oilers play a dump and chase style they will die a slow and painful death. They do not have the players that can retrieve the puck! They need to gain the zone with the puck intow. Last thing they need to do is hand it over.

47. OneEye says:

Lowetide, listened to your show today. Why so defensive as to Lowe’s fingers in the mix but very suggestive that Burke was? I think it would be a tough competition who thinks higher of himself.

Anyway you look at it Lowe deserves to be gone. If not for the personnel than for putting in place all that was/is responsible for it.

48. FastOil says:

Tapdog:
    oilersfan,

If the Oilers play a dump and chase style they will die a slow and painful death. They do not have the players that can retrieve the puck!They need to gain the zone with the puck intow. Last thing they need to do is hand it over.

The Bruins have a sizeable D corp, I can’t see that working well either. I think they would be better to try and capitalize on the inexperienced guys the Bruins are playing. Use the last change and try to get them off the rush when Chara isn’t on. Stack whatever lines he isn’t matched against (Hall – RNH I would think).

49. G Money says:

Caramel Obvious: Back to the new guys, if I can go a little pro-MacT here for a second, are any of the new guys disappointing? Any? The answer to this is, I think, a clear no. Throw in the move he didn’t make (trading Hemsky) and criticisms of MacT become puerile childishness.

This is a false dichotomy. Criticizing some of the moves MacT made or didn’t make is no more puerile childishness than approving some of the moves MacT did (or didn’t make) is sycophantic. It is possible to hold both those viewpoints at the same time, which I would be tempted to call “rationality”. Or maybe, “puerile sycophantic rationality.”

On a vaguely related note, I find the firing of Feaster to be quite bizarre. As others have pointed out, he was doing exactly the job that he was told to do – burn it to the ground and start again.

If Burke holds true to his previous form (barring a salary dump trade that allows him to acquire Chara or Weber), Burke’s going to make a bunch of trades to bring Calgary up to a Toronto level of mediocrity, never horrid, never a contender.

I’m OK with that. (Except for my kids, who are all native born Calgarians and should be allowed to cheer for a winning team, but only after I’m dead and gone. Besides, they have the Stampeders to tide them over).

50. David says:

8p0intgame:

Griffin Reinhart was drafted a year before Nurse, and has Hockey Canada’s number one golden criteria. He’s been there before.

51. Lois Lowe says:

Colour me not surprised by the Flames move today. Once Burke was hired, the writing was on the wall. If we’ve learned anything from BB’s past, it’s that he likes to build from the net out. He’s going to be aggressive in the goalie market and stock up on defence. Gio, Smid, Wideman, and Brodie are all safe unless they’re part of a move to acquire a stud. I am sure he’s working the phones for an established talent right now, Subban would be a target IMO because of the contract situation.

52. bendelson says:

Lois Lowe,

Agreed. The countdown to Feaster’s firing began the day they hired that Burke fellow.

It will be interesting to watch Burke in action – he won’t hesitate to make those bold moves MacT likes to talk about. Maybe there is an actual 3 for 1 coming for Calgary. We talk about it here in Edmonton but alas, it never appears. Burke could put some pressure on MacT should positive moves come fast and furious down south.

53. bendelson says:

In regard to tonight’s game: the Oilers win thanks to exceptional goaltending and a couple of PP goals.

What?

54. Caramel Obvious says:

Bank Shot,

He wasn’t talking about those things. After he mentioned the three different ways teams play, he added a comment referring to those formations as an additional element which also doesn’t change very much. So when he said there are three different ways my read is that he isn’t referring to formations but some other distinction.

55. G Money says:

bendelson:
    In regard to tonight’s game:the Oilers win thanks to exceptional goaltending and a couple of PP goals.

What?

Yes, I think one of two headlines is likely. Your version above is one. The other one will read:

“Oilers lose because Oilers”.

OneEye:
    Lowetide, listened to your show today.Why so defensive as to Lowe’s fingers in the mix but very suggestive that Burke was?I think it would be a tough competition who thinks higher of himself.

Anyway you look at it Lowe deserves to be gone.If not for the personnel than for putting in place all that was/is responsible for it.

My comment about Lowe came in the context of MacTavish. I said (and have on many occasions) that I do not believe:

1. Craig MacTavish decided to leave coaching
    2. Craig MacTavish overcame cancer
    3. Craig MacTavish got his degree
    4. Craig MacTavish worked in another organization for the experience

In regard to being sensitive about Lowe’s being fired, again I offered my opinion. I know there are many who believe he should be fired for all kinds of things, I’m not one of them. For his job as GM from 2006 spring through Tambellini’s hire I believe you can make a strong case for him to be fired.

After that, I don’t know how any of us would begin compiling evidence for or against. Many believe Lowe is responsible for the Perron trade, the Gordon signing, the Ference addition, the Eakins add.

I am not one of them, and find the subject of Kevin Lowe’s employment decidedly uninteresting.

Hope that’s more clear now.

57. TheOtherJohn says:

Or we win because Bruins without Paille, Loui Eriksson, Chris Kelly,Dougie Hamilton, Adam McQuaid and Thornton

58. justDOit says:

TheOtherJohn:

Rask was reportedly feeling the flu yesterday and didn’t practice.

59. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe:

Think they trade for Miller? A sign and trade involving their 1st rounder would be a good place to start from and then adjust this way or that accordingly.

I doubt MacTavish is able to land Backlund now, though.

Suspect that Baertschi will be moved before the start of next season. For Gardiner, perhaps?

60. gregsaint says:

Lowetide: I do not believe:

1. Craig MacTavish decided to leave coaching
    2. Craig MacTavish overcame cancer
    3. Craig MacTavish got his degree
    4. Craig MacTavish worked in another organization for the experience

Without the next sentence, that sounded like some crazy talk :)

61. gcw_rocks says:

C: RNH, Gagner, Gordon
    L: Hall, Perron, Kulemin
    R: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky

There is no way the team can pay that forward group and spend the kind of money they need to on defence and goaltending. The top two lines will consume about 42-43% of the cap and they should try and keep the total allocated to the top 12 forwards under $39M in a $71M cap world. As a result, they should be targeting to pay the third line $6.5M total, and Gordon eats $3M of that on his own.

Top teams will spend, on average, about $21M on their defence and of that about $10.5 to $11.0M on their top pairing under a $71M cap. Unless we want more of the same, the Oilers need to let go of Hemsky and focus on defence and goaltending.

The Bruins, btw, spend about 8% of their cap space on their third line (about $6M in a 71M cap), but spend about 16% on their top pairing (about $11M in a 71M cap).

They also spend a boatload on their goaltending, which appears to work for them.

62. Lois Lowe says:

RexLibris,

I could certainly see the interest, Burke likes American players because he’s familiar with them. It could also be Reimer, as he was Burke’s guy in TO. Burke has a bit of a habit of acquiring his picks or players that he’s signed in a previous regime.

I am trying to think of skill players that match up well in terms of forwards; Grabovski comes to mind because he’s UFA this summer. Oshie, Backes, or Stewart could shake loose this summer because Alex Steen and Halak are going to get paid in full. Perhaps Evander Kane, he’s a Burke type.

All bets are off with Burke, he’s the one GM who really isn’t afraid of making BOLD MOVES.

63. FastOil says:

gcw_rocks,

“the Oilers need to let go of Hemsky and focus on defence and goaltending”

Please be trade Hemsky, for something.

64. VanOil says:

I thought i heard last week that the Flames had entered and were respecting the Bruke Xmas roster freeze.

Does this not apply to front office staff?

If we have not yet entered it does it start tomorrow, like the 12 days a Xmas? (Swedish Lucia fest tomorrow)

Why the rush to get Fester out the door if you are about to enter your or have entered your self imposed roster freeze?

65. gcw_rocks says:

“in order to come back to Edmonton and ask permission from Kevin Lowe to make moves. MANY disagree, and that’s fine, but that’s my opinion.”

66. gcw_rocks says:

FastOil,

Agreed. Hemsky is a real NHL hockey player. He needs to be traded for another real NHL hockey player. If not, he should be traded for an NHL ready prospect like a Simon Despres. Send him to Anaheim for Winnik and both teams win. Send him away for picks and we are tilting towards Rebuild 3.0.

67. Caramel Obvious says:

I missed this earlier this week. From Friedman:

“As Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin return to health, the Carolina Hurricanes face a dilemma with Justin Peters. They were a little disappointed in Peters’ play last season, but he’s made big strides and kept them in the wobbly Metropolitan Division race this season. Peters must clear waivers to go back to the minors and Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford won’t risk it. The division-rival Islanders seem like a natural poacher. So Carolina will keep three goalies until a move is made. ”

This is how you find a goalie on the cheap. Both Khudobin and Peters are unsigned for next year. But if you trade a second or a third round pick for one of them, I imagine they’d bite on a two year deal with some kind of raise.

Melman:
    Interesting timing with Feaster – the only real move he’s made since the start of the year was acquiring Ladi.I wonder if that was done with Burke on board with the trade or not?Hard to imagine it wasn’t.I’d almost think for Feaster it’s a relief since it was only a matter of time and it would truly suck waking up each day wondering whether this is the day that you get pink slipped.

I’d suggest that BUF looking for a GM had something to do with the timing.

Burke knows who he wants to hire and that person probably got a call from LaFontaine.

69. Caramel Obvious says:

Also this:

” Something to keep an eye on: Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins says he’s considered using David Perron as a defenceman in 5-on-5 situations late in games should Edmonton need offence. Eakins almost did it in a 4-2 win over the Calgary Flames on Nov. 16, but the team came back before it was necessary. You know Eakins is going to do it one day.”

And some of you guys think we don’t have an innovative coach. We have the most innovative coach in the league.

gcw_rocks:

Kevin Lowe accompanying MacT on his scouting trips is not at least some level of evidence that he has at least significant influence?We can’t be in the back room with them to see how the real decisions get made, so we can only judge what we see and hear.I think it is a fair assumption that Lowe doesn’t tag along on those trips to carry MacT’s luggage.

Its a collaboration, but MacT has the final say.

This is known.

gcw_rocks:
    FastOil,

Agreed.Hemsky is a real NHL hockey player.He needs to be traded for another real NHL hockey player.If not, he should be traded for an NHL ready prospect like a Simon Despres.Send him to Anaheim for Winnik and both teams win.Send him away for picks and we are tilting towards Rebuild 3.0.

Resigning him for 3 years x $3-$3.5MM is the best answer.

Cap up to $71MM next year (above what I predicted and many said I was on glue for picking as high as $70MM) so that’s not too much for what he brings, even if he plays 3RW all year.

Injuries happen and he can play any wing on any line as well.

72. VanOil says:

If Bruke strikes out hiring Nieuwendyk and hires Tamebellini I would be happy for a generation.

73. Lois Lowe says:

Teams undervalue Hemsky, we know this because MacT told us so. He’s not going to fetch anything more than 3-3.5 on the open market, Eakins loves him (despite being first off the ice at practice), and the Oilers need experienced forwards. Seems like a perfect storm for a 4 years x 2.8ish type deal to stay in Edmonton.

74. VanOil says:

Woodguy,

Agreed Hemsky at 3 years for around 10 Million would be and outstanding 3d line veteran player who can play up the line up.

Agree also with Caramel Obvious Keep the guys that have bought in. Hemsky has bought in.

PREDICTION:

Lombardi sees that Scrivens is awesome and young Jones looks good too.

He then sees that Quick has been a .905 goalie since he was unreal in the finals 3 years ago, and has chronic groin problems.

Lombardi then sees that the Oilers have no goalie under contract next year and calls MacT.

Quick, who doesn’t have a NTC or NMC gets traded to EDM and plays at his .905 clip for the rest of his career when he’s not on LTIR, which will be about 60% of the time.

76. Logan91 says:

VanOil:

Tambo works for the Ducks now as a part time pro scout!

77. FastOil says:

gcw_rocks:
    FastOil,

G you are up on the cap stuff, yet when I armchair GM capgeek I am able to have:
    Hall RNH Eberle – 18M 25%
    Perron Gagner Yak 9.5M 13.5%
    Kulemin (2.8) Gordon Hemsky (4) 9.8M 14%
    Joennsu Arco (1) Gazzer (.8) 2.75M 4%
    Lander

Kulikov (4) Petry (4) 8M 11%
    Hainsey (3) JS (4) 7M 10%
    Ference Larsen (1.5) 4.75M 7%
    Klef Belov (2) 2.9M 4%

Dub (3)
    Bryz(2.25) 5.25M 7%

1.7M in cap space. What am I missing?

78. Andy P says:

bendelson:

What?

So is Brys playing tonight then? Or does DD become a Unicorn and stop the shoulda-coulda-woulda shots?

79. Lois Lowe says:

I just scored free tickets for tomorrow’s game in Vancouver. Things are coming up Milhouse!

80. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe,

He’s casting about for a permanent GM.

My guess is Fenton, in part because of his US program relationship with Poile. Bit of a stretch, but the other option is Nieuwendyk and he isn’t a Burke guy, so that seems like a longshot. Too bad Nonis already has a job, he’d have been there yesterday.

Between now and the eventual hiring, though, I suspect he’ll move Baertschi, and I’d be very surprised if Backlund isn’t gone for a Clarke MacArthur-type forward.

The funny thing is, many Flames fans are very unsettled by this but view Burke’s time as a potential positive because of his history of having scored a few major trades. The problem with that logic is that it is akin to saying that John Dillinger made a lot of great bank heists and therefore would be a good financial planner. There’s more to being a GM than just fleecing the occasional franchise in a trade, and Burke, outside of the 2007 Ducks, does not have a particularly stunning record.

How terrific would it be if Ron Wilson was hired as GM? Media notepads would magically fill themselves every day with new material.

81. RexLibris says:

Logan91: Tambo works for the Ducks now as a part time pro scout!

So why wasn’t Smithson picked up on waivers, then? ;)

82. Andy P says:

Just as I suspected that Cgy would ambush us, I suspect that these Oilers may pull a surprise win out of the hat against the Bruins tonight. Which would likely make my brain explode.

83. Lois Lowe says:

RexLibris,

As much as I hate Burke, he did put a lot of good pieces in place for Toronto. Phaneuf has been good, Kessel is a star, Lupul *spits* has played well when healthy, Grabo and Kulemin were astute pick ups as well. Fancy stats may not like the Leafs, and I don’t either, but they do have some nice things. Their record under Burke wasn’t anything special, but he did leave the team better than he found it.

As far as the GM search goes, the talking heads at TSN keep saying that the Flames want experience, I’d be surprised if that’s the case. It seems more likely that they bring in someone to complement Burke, not someone who has his own ideas and theories about player acquisition and team building. I wonder if Hextall might fit the bill seeing as Holmgren’s bought himself some time. Joe Will from San Jose also might be a consideration.

84. hunter1909 says:

Got to love foolishness of the “Yak’s definitely getting traded” combined with “Arcobello’s the way forward for the oilers” today.

If nothing else, oiler fans are the twenty five dollar whores of hockey.

85. Logan91 says:

RexLibris: So why wasn’t Smithson picked up on waivers, then?

Hahaha, that gave me a good chuckle

86. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

PREDICTION:
    Lombardi sees that Scrivens is awesome and young Jones looks good too.
    *************************************************************************

The scary part – I can totally see something like this happening….

87. OilClog says:

Lois Lowe:

This would be the bestest thing ever! I would deeply fall in love with you if it came to be!

88. Tapdog says:

denny33,

Did not happen with Vancouver and it won’t happen here.
    The search continues…

Chris VandeVelde gets a contract today and an NHL start tonight. Good for him, hope he does well.

90. Logan91 says:

With Philly?

Logan91: With Philly?

92. RexLibris says:

Word out of Quebec is that Nieuwendyk is the leading candidate for the Flames GM job.

Not the move I’d recommend, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

93. Southern Oil says:

RexLibris:

Not the move I’d recommend, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I don’t know – hiring former team stars for management roles has worked really well for us. Why shouldn’t Calgary try as well?

94. theres oil in virginia says:

gcw_rocks: Kevin Lowe accompanying MacT on his scouting trips is not at least some level of evidence that he has at least significant influence? We can’t be in the back room with them to see how the real decisions get made, so we can only judge what we see and hear. I think it is a fair assumption that Lowe doesn’t tag along on those trips to carry MacT’s luggage.

There is, of course, the slightest chance that, even though you don’t respect Kevin Lowe’s opinion, Craig MacTavish does.

95. Bruce McCurdy says:

Tapdog: Why would Lombardi want to trade Quick to a division rival?

Because he’s a .905 goalie with a crippling contract?

Bruce McCurdy: Because he’s a .905 goalie with a crippling contract?

I can see the Oilers dealing off a #1 overall in a deal for Quick. Absolutely. If the Kings offered Quick and Kyle Clifford for Yakupov +? The goaltending not being solved, the power forward not being solved, the #1D not being solved, those are major shopping items for next summer.

And MacT is going to address those things. Hang on, Sloopy!

97. Andy P says:

Tapdog: denny33, No chance this happens, the price to the Oilers would be marginally higher than anyone else. Why would Lombardi want to trade Quick to a division rival?Did not happen with Vancouver and it won’t happen here.The search continues…

How about because that’s exactly the kind of goalie he would want to saddle us with?

98. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy: Because he’s a .905 goalie with a crippling contract?

It doesn’t matter because he doesn’t let in soft goals.

99. bookje says:

Woodguy: Resigning him for 3 years x $3-$3.5MM is the best answer.

Injuries happen and he can play any wing on any line as well.

Whatever happened to that guy?

bookje: This fellow D.S.F. used to come around here and rant and rave about how bad the Oiler’s contracts were because the cap wasn’t going to go up for the next three years!!

Whatever happened to that guy?

He’ll be back when the Oilers trade for Quick!

101. Nuckout says:

hunter1909:
    Got to love foolishness of the“Yak’s definitely getting traded” combined with “Arcobello’s the way forward for the oilers” today.

If nothing else, oiler fans are the twenty five dollar whores of hockey.

Fans being fans. Reason goes out the window when emotion comes into play, and Oil fans are among the smartest and passionate fans out there, so it’s “trade everyone and blow it all up” when they lose, and “Everything’s great, sunshine and puppy dogs” when we win. It’s always been like that and always will be. No harm, no foul.

102. OilClog says:

I don’t see Oilers trading for Quick, I could see Tambi doing a move like that, not MacT. He’ll take a crazy contract on if it’s a defender or a power forward, not a goaltender.

Quick could be bought out if other GM’s have Lombardi handcuffed due to contract. Or he’ll have to trade the prospect or let Scrivens walk.

103. Brackenburied says:

RexLibris:

Not the move I’d recommend, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Word out of Brian Burke’s office is the next GM will be Irish.

104. gcw_rocks says:

FastOil,

A top pairing. Asking Kulikov and Petry to play top pairing is asking them to play above there ability. Kulikov may get there, but it won’t be next year. Petry is second pairing.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Milwaukee Admirals apparently have a brewers crest on their jersey.

Is this kind of thing common? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

106. Brackenburied says:

I might just be chasing waterfalls here but I think the Oilers might, just might, show well tonite. This a show me game. They have had some success, ‘let’s show that we are for real’ deal. They know this is a tough match up so they should, ‘should’, be focused on Eakins system. If Hall gets pasted, hammered, or crushed (choose your favorite descriptor) in the first we are dead. No injury required, but the message will be sent. If we survive the first and have a modicum of success maybe, maybe….

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Curtis Hamilton on a line with Ewanyk and SMac.

Seems pretty clear mgt. isn’t telling Nelson to give him a push. He is no longer even remotely a prospect of interest I guess.

There is no way he can repair his fledging status from that hole.

108. gcw_rocks says:

theres oil in virginia,

He used to do those trips with Tambo as well. We saw how well that worked out.

109. Derek says:

The Fenwick close in the Leafs- Blues game tonight is 83-17 in favour of the Blues (%). The eyes tell basically the same story.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Curtis Hamilton on a line with Ewanyk and SMac.

There is no way he can repair his fledging status from that hole.

Coming up on three years now and he’s never really forced them to pay attention, I’ve always cheered for him but that ship has probably sailed.

Derek:
    The Fenwick close in the Leafs- Blues game tonight is 83-17 in favour of the Blues (%).The eyes tell basically the same story.

I’m watching in awe. Wow.

112. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

Right, because in so many jobs it is the subordinate who makes the final call.

Interested to know how it is “known” that MacT has the final say. You have a bug in the office? Or are you in fact MacT? Or Howson? Not sure how else it could be known.

113. D says:

I’m okay with losing to the Bruins during the regular season . . . as long as we continue playing .900 hockey against them in the playoffs.

114. Derek says:

I just watched the Corgi Carousel video again. Edmonton wins tonight.

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ads score at the tail end of the PP.

116. hunter1909 says:

Oilers being honored by Boston’s game number one tonight.

This could be over in a hurry.

117. VanOil says:

Yak did exactly what his coach told him to do when facing Chara down low, move it quickly – do not battle you will lose- and make him turn. It did not work but it is what Eakin said was the game plan.

118. hunter1909 says:

Top goaltending helps the Oilers…wait.

119. hunter1909 says:

Please score 2 more fast Boston I want to go somewhere.

120. VanOil says:

WGs Quick threat does not look as dire right now.

121. D says:

Too bad Dubnyk gave us one of his specials after playing so well since the start of the game. :(

122. Pouzar says:

Devan Doobshit Ladies and Gentleman.

123. Rebilled says:

‘Hey big goalie, stay in net, stay away from bears.’

Dubnyk makes about 6 5-bell saves and then lets in a goal from Loredo. Lordy.

125. Southern Oil says:

Don’t care what people say – you can cheer for the home grown guy all you like. Doesn’t matter. His days as an Oiler are done and I don’t think I will be that disappointed to be honest.

126. Andy P says:

Still love that high save %?
    No trades for KhabiQuicken please. Just do tour best until our two real goalies arrive – Bryz backed up by BTO. Release DD and hope he goes to LA.

127. jake70 says:

Dubnyk makes about 6 5-bell saves and then lets in a goal from Loredo. Lordy.

That’s just it, how do you square that circle.

128. Pouzar says:

For all the save % guys….this is the perfect example where it just doesn’t tell the story. That goal kills this f^ckin team. Can’t be haven’t it.

129. Rebilled says:

It was right there Anton. Gift wrapped.

130. Rebilled says:

*Lander

jake70: That’s just it, how do you square that circle.

you send it down the line.

Pouzar:

Save percentage over a long period (like seasons) is a tell. EVERY goalie lets in a soft goal, and DD has let in more than his share this season. The reason they’ll send him down the line may be all these soft goals but all goalies allow them.

Pouzar:

134. Derek says:

I’ve seen Nick Schultz real bad tonight. Real, real bad.

135. D says:

No chance on that goal.

136. Southern Oil says:

The one thing about Dubs – one of the things LT has talked about on this board is giving players a chance. We have seen a number of guys unloaded early – before we knew what they were. The idea was always to figure out the player before letting them move on down the road. The question – have we given Dubs enough time? I would argue yes.

You can get equally good goaltending from someone that was struggling to find a job who we are paying 1.75 (correct me if I am wrong) for the rest of the season. Cut your losses at the end of this season and try to find the answer to the goaltending riddle.

137. kooler says:

good work by 89 to do nothing on that goal. at least make an effort to take the man in front of your own net.

138. VanOil says:

Perron with a cheeky little run at Chara

139. hunter1909 says:

Another weak by Dubby.

At this point, a three player breakaway goal could occur and I’d still manage to find fault with this gutless, heartless goalie.

140. hunter1909 says:

Like that. That’s all she wrote. Goodnight everyone. My bartender awaits.

141. VanOil says:

It is almost predictable

142. Lucinius says:

Well done. Well done.

This powerplay is bloody ridiculous. Seriously. There is no reason to try that shot. its so low percentage to get through…

Gah. Bench that first powerplay unit. Seriously. And fire the coach in charge of it while you’re at it.

143. D says:

hunter1909:
    Another weak by Dubby.

At this point, a three player breakaway goal could occur andI’d still manage to find fault with this goalie.

You were saying? :)

144. Lucinius says:

Also, that second unit..

God damn. Hemsky does a ton of work and what happens? Everyone else on the unit stops moving like they’ve never been on a powerplay before and don’t know what to do.

Just embarrassing.

145. OilClog says:

Why the hell is Larsen playing on the first unit?

146. VanOil says:

So tonight we did not even hope for the best and it still turned out like always.

147. Lucinius says:

OilClog,

Coaching.

This team has no idea how to construct a powerplay, let alone execute it. Rage inducing.

If you’re picking on Dubnyk, let’s save a few bullets for Gagner, Eberle, Larsen in that period.

149. Rebilled says:

hunter1909,

Say hi to your bartender from me.

150. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Everyone here is a save percentage guy. So, that’s going to be a difficult sell.

151. Kitchener says:

Down 3-0 to a better team, I’m watching to see which Oilers fold and which ones turns up the volume.

Belov – thank you.

152. Pouzar says:

I love Eberle but he’s gotta tie up that second guy…jezzuz. It’s not rocket science right???

153. Henry says:

And one for myself.

154. dsr29 says:

Lucinius,

Other teams back right off Hemsky knowing how rare it is for him to shoot. He needs to put pucks on net once in a while to open up lanes.

155. Lucinius says:

Honestly, I personally don’t really blame Dubnyk for anything but the first goal against. The other two, by the time it gets to him.. those goals happen to everyone. Either you just get beat, or its through a lot of traffic. Happens.

First goal was bad. Shit happens.

I’m more pissed at players like, well, nine of the ten of two powerplay units (Hemsky gets the only reprieve as he was the only one successfully trying to execute… everyone else either shit the bed or just stopped playing hockey). And, of course, the coaching. At this point the Oilers just need the option to decline penalties because this team just can’t cope with them. Its bad decision after bad decision and the coaches refuse to punish players for screwing up and can’t seem to figure out how to construct a powerplay (hint: its not hard — just watch game tape of the top five powerplay units in the league and its all extremely basic stuff).

I’m done watching the game tonight. I was expecting something along the lines of 4-1, or 4-2. But I wasn’t expecting to see mediocrity of this level drive my blood pressure through the roof.

156. steveb12344 says:

Marty Turco’s advice to Dubnyk on first goal…

You gotta move a little bit… Lololol

157. bookje says:

Not understanding save percentage clarifies your take on things. Dubnyk is a bad goalie this year because he stops fewer pucks, not because of how he LOOkS when he lets one in.

158. OilLeak says:

I don’t have a problem with Dubnyk except the one goal, but this team is so awful it’s hilarious. The players either can’t learn or they won’t learn, the same mistakes keep happening. These games(the all too common blow-out) give us proper prospective regarding the progress of this team.

159. Lucinius says:

dsr29,

Except Hemsky moves around and despite the book being out on him creates space for others. Like on that powerplay. The pkers pulled back from him, so he moved in closer, opened up space.. except every other person on the powerplay had stopped moving.

Or when he threaded the pass through the seam for what should have been a tap in goal.. except no one was there because they were standing still.

Hemsky doesn’t need to shoot on the powerplay to be effective (he should shoot a ton more, definitely, though). This team has the lowest level of ‘compete’ I have ever seen in a sports team, professional or otherwise.

160. tcho says:

This team sure has a difficult time with the whole “defence” concept.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 2m

EV chances by line in the first period:
    4-89-64: +1/-3
    57-93-14: +4/-0
    6-26-83: +0/-0
    20-51-28: +0/-2

21-36: +3/-1
    15-19:+1/-3
    77-2: +1/-1

162. bookje says:

The power play was light years better last year, perhaps it is fitness?

163. Southern Oil says:

Lucinius:

First goal was bad. Shit happens.

I’m with you about only blaming him on #1. My point is bigger picture (not just tonight’s game). Can you see this guy taking us deep into the playoffs? I just see too many goals happen with frequency over the past year of so just like that #1 goal.

Cut our losses. Dubs is a good backup tender and nothing more.

164. Henry says:

Kitchener:

Belov – thank you.

Perron is a good guy to throw out there after a bad goal or good goal. He was a real asshole after each of the first two goals.

165. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Barons lose 4-0. Did manage to outshoot the Ads though (watch for score effects).

166. Henry says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 2m

EV chances by line in the first period:
    4-89-64: +1/-3
    57-93-14: +4/-0
    6-26-83: +0/-0
    20-51-28: +0/-2

21-36: +3/-1
    15-19:+1/-3
    77-2: +1/-1

I wonder if Seidenberg’s goal counted as a chance.

Pouzar: I love stats and the advanced stats are awesome and I have learned lots here. But there are exceptions to every rule and DD is the one for save %. I think he is a terrible goalie and no one here is going to tell convince me different. Sorry. :(

Nah. He’s just like all the rest, but we all have our guys who drive us crazy. I know I do! :-)

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Don’t tell HC scout Jankowski about save %. He knows better. I didn’t realize he had some fans here though.

169. Pouzar says:

bookje: Not understanding save percentage clarifies your take on things.Dubnyk is a bad goalie this year because he stops fewer pucks, not because of how he LOOkS when he lets one in.

“If you have to ask the question…”

170. VanOil says:

Yeah! Barbarella is in LT assured us he is a great backup ;)

LaBarbera in net. One of these nights it’s going to be Dubnyk’s last night as an Oiler. Seriously. I don’t think he makes it much longer.

172. OilBuzz says:

173. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    The power play was light years better last year, perhaps it is fitness?

Nope shooting percentage.

OilBuzz: Overall, yeah, save % is the best stat for evaluating goalies. But there is something to be said for a tendency to crumble under pressure, or to let in soft goals at crucial times.

No, there isn’t. Honest.

175. jake70 says:

Holy rumble in the jungle.

176. Henry says:

Both of those guys are terrifying fighters.

I’ll give Gazdic credit for not shitting his pants and then I’ll give him credit for hanging in there. Lordy.

178. OilBuzz says:

WOW! Gazdic hangin’ in there… LOVE his compete level.

179. Pouzar says:

Lucic is Bleeding…Lucic is bleeding…

180. jake70 says:

Gazdic takes off Lucic, take that trade any day of the week.

181. kooler says:

is that a draw or does the bleeding got to gazdic

182. bookje says:

Pouzar: MacT tried to trade for a goalie in the offseason to replace DD after the latter posted a .920 save %. I guess he doesn’t understand save % either.

“If you have to ask the question…”

If MacT believed Dubnyk would continue to post .920, he would not have been looking to trade him.

Letting in less goals is the most important thing for a goalie.

Imagine saying a goal scorer gets lots of soft goals, it’s nonsense. I have no problem saying Dubnyk is not good enough this year because he is not stopping enough pucks. If you think it’s because he looks bad on some goals as opposed to the actual goals well…so can’t argue that kind of ‘logic’

183. Henry says:

Where is Hall?

184. bookje says:

Lowetide: No, there isn’t. Honest.

Goalies who crumble under pressure regularly simply don’t make the NHL.

185. RexLibris says:

Do we KNOW that Gazdic didn’t soil himself? Those are baggy shorts they wear…

kooler:
    is that a draw or does the bleeding got to gazdic

It’s kind of like when BG was at his peak. Survival is victory.

187. theres oil in virginia says:

Sorry to bitch about the reffing, but the fucking linesmen in the league are pissing me off. The Bs were clearly offside by eye…no call…the Oilers play looked onside by eye…called offside. I slowed them both down and relooked…both wrong calls. I blame Ed Snider.

188. squeezboks says:

hall getting benched? wasn’t out on that last shift

Henry:
    Where is Hall?

On the ice.

190. Gerta Rauss says:

I was going to post the same thought after the 3rd goal but I had to run a quick errand.

Dubnyk is done as an Oiler. We can argue about sv% or letting in softies or how he holds his stick, but he’s done as an Oiler.

We can be certain he’ll be moved by the trade deadline, but the clock is ticking, he could be traded at any time now.

191. RexLibris says:

I see Moroz is on pace to eclipse both his points and PIM totals from last season.

Speaking of Lucic…

*cross fingers, knock on wood*

192. Henry says:

Lowetide: On the ice.

Looks like he’s with Arcobello now. Ok with that.

193. squeezboks says:

nope there he is… line shuffle?

194. VanOil says:

Here is a different take on Dubbies annus horribilis:

Much like the previous lock out made clutch and grab style players obsolete due to rule changes. This last lock out made Tall, Immobile Butterfly goal tenders obsolete as smaller pads and shooters now picking the top corners at ease becomes the norm. The G&M had an article on this last weekend. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-decline-of-canadas-goalies/article15786050/

While SV% might be the best way to evaluate a goalie. The goalies confidence, his team mates confidence in him and his Coach and GMs confidence all matter. If the Fans confidence in him is a measuring stick the ship is about to sail.

195. RexLibris says:

Heard the talk on your show today about the possibility of Dubnyk going to Calgary in the off-season.

I like Dubnyk, but the dislike that many fans there have for him would make that signing worth it.

Now if we could just trade him there for Brodie…

196. Rebilled says:

Did anyone mention Perron scored? He scored.

VanOil:
    Here is a different take on Dubbies annus horribilis:

Not a word out of place. Changes in equipment making certain goalies obsolete? Certainly possible.

198. bookje says:

Just watched the fight, he stunned Lucic for a moment, nearly dropped him. As LT said, the guy has made the NHL.

Newer Comments »