COYOTES AT OILERS, G29 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers get a tough test tonight against the Phoenix Coyotes. The home team is 5-5-0 in their last 10, the visitors 4-4-2. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE RUSSIANbryzgalov3

Ilya Bryzgalov is middle hurt; he’s bad enough for the Oilers to call up Jason LaBarbera to backup DD tonight, but not so badly they needed to place him on the IR (poor Corey Potter was sent down today in order to make room). I don’t think there’s a huge difference between Dubnyk and the Russian, but there are plenty of Oiler fans who are freaking out about it. I’d prefer Dubnyk, but that’s based on cheering for him over the years. I like goalies who stop pucks, so if they can find one of those it’s all good, and I think they have two now.

RIMMER

rimmer

The Barons play tonight, Ty Rimmer apparently getting the start. That means 1,000 goalies have played for the Barons this season.

1. Jason LaBarbera 2, 1.93 .953
  2. Richard Bachman 8, 2.37 .925
  3. Laurent Brossoit 4, 2.26 .922
  4. Tyler Bunz 4, 3.15 .914
  5. Olivier Roy 4, 3.29 .897
  6. Ilya Bryzgalov 2, 3.03 .880

It’s funny, the Barons have enjoyed solid goaltending all year long (Roy and Bryz are subpar) and it’ll be interesting to see what happens next season with this group (and Chet Pickard who is also in the mix). Brossoit and Bunz would be the odds-on to be retained but remember the key now is to identify the kids who are attached to the new GM.

Which means Brossoit.

ANOTHER RUSSIAN

Abbotsford vs. OKC Barons 11-15-13

• Dallas Eakins: “I don’t fault him totally for the shorthanded goal. We had a player there who was coming to support him, then he screwed off on him and he was left all alone. But the other play later, the guy blew by him and we thought Grebby was having trouble with the speed. We felt it was time to control his minutes.”

I like this quote, it’s true and  yet he doesn’t call out the player responsible. I think that probably gets the coach more support than anything—he defended his guy while telling the truth and didn’t throw anyone else under the bus ala Tom Renney with Sam Gagner—and he doesn’t lose his player.

Grebeshkov’s an interesting player. Oiler fans can’t stand him, but you can see why he gets the minutes. Grebeshkov can move that puck, which is central to the Eakins system. I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.

NURSE!

NURSE44

• More Eakins: “Would I like the kid to be there? Absolutely, but I know when you get excluded from something, it usually burns your butt. It lights a fire inside of you. I remember when  I talked to Darnell and told him we were sending him down (Soo), I saw the fire starting to burn. I’m sure this will be the same and it might be a great, great motivator for him.”

Music! I think Nurse got screwed, but that happens in choosing team Canada every year. If he uses this as a reason to play with an edge, to shove it where the sun don’t shine, it’s all good from here.

• Nurse: “Obviously I’m disappointed. You work for it. I could have probably put a little more effort to make the team, but I’ve put that behind me now and now my focus is here in Sault Ste. Marie and the rest of the season.”

I love this kid. He doesn’t point the finger at others, there’s no ‘poor me’ in him. LOVE IT! Godspeed, Darnell Nurse.

LAST 10 GAMES (forwards)

9. Boyd Gordon 9, 1-2-3 -2
  10. Ryan Jones 5, 0-1-1 -2
  11. Will Acton 6, 0-0-0 -2
  12. Mark Arcobello 5, 0-0-0 -1
  13. Luke Gazdic 5, 0-0-0 -1
  14. Jesse Joensuu 10, 0-0-0 -5

It’s all coming around now, there’s really no one out of place (save Joensuu, and he seems to be doing better by eye). The top line is performing well, Perron’s outstanding, and the second line is finally delivering (Gagner’s been better and Yakupov is posting crooked numbers). We’ll forget this later, but during the tough times this year Boyd Gordon, Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky were men and deserve to be acknowledged for it.

LAST 10 GAMES (defense and goal)

1. Justin Schultz 6, 2-1-3 +4
  2. Phil Larsen 4, 0-3-3 -5
  3. Corey Potter 6, 0-2-2 -2
  4. Nick Schultz 10, 0-2-2 E
  5. Jeff Petry 10, 0-1-1 +3
  6. Andrew Ference 10, 1-0-1 +2
  7. Anton Belov 10, 0-1-1 -1
  8. Denis Grebeshkov 3, 0-1-1 E
  9. Taylor Fedun 1, 0-0-0 +1
  10. Devan Dubnyk 9, 2.37 .917
  11. Ilya Bryzgalov 4, 2.11 .939

Nice numbers here too, the goaltending has been rock solid in the last 10 games, and the defensemen are beginning to recover from the early-season calamity. Notice specifically Schultz the younger and Petry, it’s also interesting to see the veterans Ference and N Schultz doing well.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

ryan

A big day on the show! TSN 1260, 10 this morning. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Yakupov, Defensive coverage, turning North.
  • Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus and ESPN. Nurse omission, Connor McDavid, 2014 draft.
  • Sarah McLellan from Arizona Republic. Coyotes have some injuries and some question marks.
  • James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. We’ll talk about the Leafs and their market correction.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

russian wj

317 Responses to "COYOTES AT OILERS, G29 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. GordM says:

Burrows out indefinitely with a broken jaw. I don’t wish injury upon players…but if someone from the Canucks had to get a broken jaw, I wish it was Kassian.

2. dawgtoy says:

That Fort Edmonton Park add is creepy.

3. jp says:

Great response by Nurse to a tough situation.

The forwards really are starting to look good. That kind of top end scoring was in the original plan. Better days ahead if they can keep that up.

And JSchultz. I think those numbers are pretty clear: he need to go back to OKC.

4. dawgtoy says:

Anton Belov looks like he’s going through some growing pains by my eyes, but my eyes are getting old.

5. PaperKurtRussell says:

Hey guys, long time reader first time you know what. Definitely enjoying the wins, although another season out of contention is frustrating…

Look, the reason I’m posting today is because of something I heard last night. I was watching the Habs post-game show on RDS, and the panel was talking about how not only are the Oilers the new Islanders, but they are worse. It was Mathieu Darche who was saying that having all of these top draft picks come in and get the prime treatment was the reason for the dysfunction. For example, no consequences at all, they get top minutes and top PP. He spoke of other top picks (i.e. Joe Thornton and Lecavalier) who had to earn their way up the line-up and as a result they became better players. Finally, he mentioned that it is the reason that Horcoff had to go. He would try to speak up, but they would respect him only as an old third-liner as opposed to a true leader. Oddly, they didn’t mention anything about the coaches.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to hear it from someone independent from the team and thought I would pass it along.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“it’ll be interesting to see what happens next season with this group (and Chet Pickard who is also in the mix). Brossoit and Bunz would be the odds-on to be retained but remember the key now is to identify the kids who are attached to the new GM.
    Which means Brossoit.”

Bunz is under contract for at least a year beyond this one (Brossoit is only the first year of his ELC):

For next year it will be interesting to see what they do and how they handle the situation. Tuohimaa is under contract for next year too, but he’s not exactly blocking out the reading lamp in the Liiga (.881 in 12 games), so it’s hard to say if they leave him over there or bring him to NA. An unconditional buyout might be an option.

The other issue is the 50-man:

You have to believe that MacT wants to shed some dead weight (Hello Mr. Abney!) and that while he wants to upgrade at G (and I believe he will all through the depth chart with FA acquisitions from college, Euro, AHL, NHL, everywhere) that he won’t want to carry 1,000 Gs on the 50man.

Under contract for the future:

Brossoit, Bunz, Tuohimaa.

After that unconditional buyout/waiver deal with Rajala (who, by the way is 11 7-5-12 in the SHL right now… but who needs scoring, right? Size matters, or some other BS), can we expect to see more?

You have to think if Tuohimaa doesn’t right the ship through the rest of the season he’s out. I don’t think they cut bait on Bunz during his ELC. So that’s at least 2 prospect Gs under contract. Add a draft pick (who they may not sign right away), and Rimmer to a 2-way if he plays out the rest of the season well.

That’s 4 contracts and we haven’t come near finding a spot for a college/euro free agent in the minor pros, or an NHL G.

A lot is going to happen at the position in the next 8-9 months.

7. Bruce McCurdy says:

“I don’t fault him totally for the shorthanded goal. We had a player there who was coming to support him, then he screwed off on him and he was left all alone.”

That would be Yakupov, and that pretty much describes that funky little pirouette he did in the centre circle while Grebeshkov was getting double-teamed. Good on Eakins for identifying the situation to shelter the one guy (Grebs) a little but without shitting all over the other guy (Yak) by name. I would bet you my next mortgage payment that the matter was raised privately with #64, though. And with #37 for that matter.

@Sliderule re your comment a couple of threads ago, Yakupov was indeed playing the point, he had played there all game, albeit more from the shooter position at the top of the right circle. Which is where he was coming from when he was the first man back in “support” of Grebs on the play in question. Agreed that on that particular PP the second unit had joined the play on the fly and for a time all four F’s were battling for the puck on the LW boards, but by the time it came back to Grebs & squirted by him, Yak had retreated to his normal spot and was right where he should have been. Until he “screwed off”, that is.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.”

For a variety of reasons I’d rather see Fedun or Potter (I know they are on the right side, but we keep hearing Ference and Belov and Potter can flip) at least until after the new year.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.”

Great point. Our problem here hasn’t been the presence or performance of our “vets” but the fact that there simply aren’t enough of them or they have been playing too far up the lineup (in the case of Jones for example, when he isn’t on the 4 line).

10. denny33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

*****************************************************************************

Good on Eakins….and good on you Bruce for correctly pointing out Yak’s team play.

For some reason – some fans hold the top end talent on this team in a very rare special place above criticism.

I love Yak’s talent as much as anyone – but his team play and his decision to call up his agent are muting my thoughts on him as a player.

Yet another example of a player that should have been left in junior – then the AHL – before coming up to the NHL?

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Slepyshev and Yakimov both made the Russian list, so there will be prospects for Oiler fans to follow at this year’s World Juniors.”

Is Zharkov still eligible? He played pretty well in the WJC last year but hasn’t played great in the K this year.

I would encourage everyone to mark that name Barbashev down. I mentioned him once before, but he’s going to be my fall-back plan if Draisaitl is gone, or our pick improves dramatically (and we still have it):

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.”

Whoops… I quoted the wrong piece. My comment was meant to respond to this point:

“We’ll forget this later, but during the tough times this year Boyd Gordon, Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky were men and deserve to be acknowledged for it.”

13. misfit says:

dawgtoy:

It seems to me like he’s been having the same problem all year. Either he’s taking too long to make decisions with the puck, or he’s just not acting on them with enough conviction. I’ve been happy with his positioning and play without the puck, but he’s incredibly soft when he has the puck on his stick.

I’ve never met him, but Belov strikes me as the kind of guy who gives those limp-noodle handshakes.

14. LMHF#1 says:

Ty Rimmer for backup goalie!!

Just having a quick flashback to the preseason. He sure was solid in that game here.

15. Ribs says:

Go Russia! hah.

16. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.”

I agree. They have to find out if Fedun is an NHL defenseman. He’s pretty much proven himself in the A. Why experiment next year?

17. Hammers says:

We do need to see both Marincin & Klefbom for 5+ games to see how they fit and where there at . Fedun should get another few games as well . When we look at our signed 49 we can start guessing who comes off that list next year . from the top rung N.Schultz , Potter ,Grebs , Jones , Eager , Acton , (please) Smack, Omark , Smyth ( If he keeps playing like he has I would give him 1 year at a $ 1 mill for 55 games, to help ease somebody else in ) & Hemsky . That’s 10 players without the Abneys etc . We need McT to add another Gordon type & Perron type plus that “D” we need .

18. Racki says:

Not sure if this was brought up yesterday but Ray Ferraro had an interesting take on the desire to have every player be two way (on Jason Gregor show). His thoughts… First.. Everyone wants players to be like Datsyuk… But Datsyuk is a very rare player… So holding players to that standard is unrealistic. Two, he felt that with a all or Eberle type generating fairly steady lemme they should have more rope to do what they do best. His most interesting point.. Wasn’t at all picking on Gordon, but said a guy like Gordon has to play perfect defence because he isn’t going to create much offence (although he gave credit to Gordon for being good at that). So in other words, you really need your teams defensively guys to be stellar, no mistake defnesive guys because they don’t create much offence, and you can afford to let the offensively guys free wheel more.

Comments on that? I’d tend to agree just because there aren’t a lot of elite scorers that have high level of defensively ability. Kind of a different mantra than we are used to which is everyone needs to be awesome defensively. This would support Yak being more offensive focused.

Not sure where I stand on that but I think it’s an interesting discussion. Is it too 90s thinking? BTW, I think it’s implied that some basic defence applies. It wouldn’t be a case of three guys hanging at the blue line waiting to break out.

Great post on the goaltender selection for CAN WJR team.

Cliff notes: They screwed up badly.

Also,

Looking forward to the game

I think these teams are actually fairly evenly matched.

Might come down to special teams.

Hope they shoot the bloody puck on the PP.

Go Oilers!

20. Racki says:

Woodguy:

Great post on the goaltender selection for CAN WJR team.

Ah…Meg…before the plastic surgery screwups.

Had me at “Hey Goose”.

22. LMHF#1 says:

Racki: Excellent.. Let’s crush the goaltender’s confidence before the tourney starts. Hopefully he’s good at proving people wrong.

You’re not exactly tracking for a successful pro career if you give a damn what some guy writes about your goaltending.

23. wordbird says:

from Friedman’s 30 Thoughts:

11. Quote of the week, from Ladislav Smid of the Calgary Flames. Asked how hard it was to adjust to Calgary’s system from Edmonton’s, he smiled and said: “Not so bad. I’ve had six coaches in eight years.”

24. fuzzy muppet says:

Grebeshkov and Jultz together…..

Yikes

25. Logan91 says:

Woodguy,

I don’t really agree with that article, stats don’t always show the future. Look at Bunz as an example, horrible year last year. Everyone thought he was done, and what does he do? Comes to the AHL and puts up great numbers.

As for WHL goalies in the article having a better SP, it’s no big secret that the WHL is a lot more physically and defensively played. The goalies are given a lot more help from their teams.

It was pretty ignorant of whoever wrote that piece to say a lot of those things. At least when LT writes about rookies and what not, he speaks with optimism and doesn’t try to tear the player down.

26. JustWatt says:

godot10:
    Ah…Meg…before the plastic surgery screwups.

Had me at “Hey Goose”.

Beat me to it. She was my Hollywood crush in high school. A sweetheart and babe! A good omen for tonight I say.

27. bookje says:

My favorite comment regarding the goalies that has been bouncing around is that Dubnyk is a “puck blocker’ whereas Bryzgalov is a “Puck Stopper”.

All I care about is that they are a ‘Puck not go in the netter’ – I don’t particularly care what style they use.

Dubnyk has had some poor games this year, but it is not because of the particular style he plays.

28. bookje says:

PaperKurtRussell:
    Hey guys, long time reader first time you know what.Definitely enjoying the wins, although another season out of contention is frustrating…

Look, the reason I’m posting today is because of something I heard last night.I was watching the Habs post-game show on RDS, and the panel was talking about how not only are the Oilers the new Islanders, but they are worse.It was Mathieu Darche who was saying that having all of these top draft picks come in and get the prime treatment was the reason for the dysfunction.For example, no consequences at all, they get top minutes and top PP.He spoke of other top picks (i.e. Joe Thornton and Lecavalier) who had to earn their way up the line-up and as a result they became better players.Finally, he mentioned that it is the reason that Horcoff had to go.He would try to speak up, but they would respect him only as an old third-liner as opposed to a true leader.Oddly, they didn’t mention anything about the coaches.

There certainly have been suggestions that some members of the team are treated with kid gloves. Why Gagner and RNH ever take a faceoff is beyond me when you have other players out with them (such as Hall) who are actually good at taking faceoffs. Gagner should have been a winger two years ago, but he doesn’t want to play wing so…

I don’t know what is true and what is not, but from what we have seen, there could be some problems with regards to accountability on the team.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookje,

“kid” gloves, I get it. nyuk nyuk

30. Alpine says:

Logan91,

Bunz has played 4 games for OKC with a .914 SV%. That’s good but not great, and its just too small of a sample to indicate that he’s really turned the corner.

31. russ99 says:

Racki,

Agreed.

The question is how long does Eakins continue to be a hard ass to ensure that the players will follow his systems? There obviously has to be a set number of games that need to pass before the assumption would be that he’s giving in to the players.

I’m hopeful that we’re still in the “tear them down” phase, and the loosening of the reins for the skill players, aka “build them back up the right way” is coming soon.

Also, some of you guys need to watch Justin Schultz the whole game and not just cherry pick the obvious mistakes. His defense is much improved from last year. Case in point: he’s in the right spots and he can take the puck away from the opposing forward on the wall, neither of which he could do well last year.

Sending him to the AHL to dominate on O and not have to play hard on D is the worst possible move for him IMO.

32. David says:

Woodguy:

Great post on the goaltender selection for CAN WJR team.

Cliff notes: They screwed up badly.

Also,

Looking forward to the game

I think these teams are actually fairly evenly matched.

Might come down to special teams.

Hope they shoot the bloody puck on the PP.

Go Oilers!

Thank you! I think my heart has finally reached normal after how scared I got thinking the Oilers would take Fucale. That article sums it up perfectly.

33. zatch says:

Logan91,

If you read the whole thing, you’ll see that he compares each goalie to the average SP in their respective league. Fucale still comes out lacking. I say this as a proud Haligonian too. The fact Comrie was left off was a joke and accurately reflects the arrogance and cluelessness that is Hockey Canada.

I was doing a project on players drafted by nationality, and using the wikipedia pages, they tend to list the top prospects going into the draft, including the top 3 goalies in NA and INTL. It’s shocking how rarely any of those listed pan out. Anecdotaly, I am sure everyone here can remember many goalies who were highly touted who just fell off the face of the earth. It’s voodoo to predict goalie development. Bunz was a poor example. He has 4 decent games in the AHL, that’s all.

34. Ca$h-Money! says:

Alpine:
    Logan91,

I’m not sure I agree with you here. Bunz wasn’t just below-par last year, he was flat out terrible. Suckage of Epic Proportions. So yeah, I’d say a 4 game stint in the AHL with a save percentage above 90 does in fact mean he’s turned a corner. It’s not enough mind you, but I think we have to celebrate this for the victory that it is. Hopefully he turns into the guy I thought he would be when we drafted him… long way to go to get there but I’ll be rooting for him.

35. David says:

The idea that Hockey Canada doesn’t want to make an All-Star team they want to make the “best team” is interesting because it’s so vague that it doesn’t mean anything. What is their definition of All Star? Max Domi’s and Darnell Nurses? A.K.A high draft picks with high NHL potential? Would it include players like Mitch Holmberg? – an overages who’s dominating junior? What about Anthony DeAngelo? – 5’11″ offensive dynamo defenseman leading the OHL D in points ( 11 more than second place Nurse?) Why not Flames prospect Emile Poirier who is 5th in the QMJHL in points with 44 and is 6’2″ when they selected Felix Girard who is 101rst in the QMJHL in points with 18 and is 5’11″?

Could it be they are looking for intangibles? So why not Greg Chase? 27 points in 25 games in the WHL and has the Brad Marchand factor? Played big for WHL against the Russians in the super series just days ago?

I think the “best team not all star team” is just a way of saying we like certain players and don’t like others and you can’t question us. Only problem is that the players that they like are repeatedly not the best players.

36. rickithebear says:

Our first 6 games with hall playing C was a shit show:

we played like crap @ WASH

we rushed Gagner back and were missing a series of our top 3 LW
    the first 7 Oct 29 to nov 13. though some players showed up from time to time.

we were a shit Show with Chi at home.

we had 15 of our 28 games be forgetable.
    13 of the 15 can relate to 2 players being asked to step into a role they were clearly not ready for..
    Hall 1C
    Gagner back too early.

you break each player up by this:

Hall (9gm 2G 5A -10) (13gm 5G 7a +2)
    Perron (10 GM 3G 5A -9) (14 gm 6G 6A +7))
    RNH (13GM 3G 4A -20) (13 gm 3G 11A +8)
    Eberle (13 GM 1G 6A -14) (15 GM 7G 8A +12)
    Gagner (7GM 0G 1A -10) (8gm 2G 7A +4)
    Arcobello (11 GM 2G 2A -5) ( 12 gm 0G 8A +2)
    Gordon (11gm 2G 4A -9) (16 GM 3G 2A +1)
    Yak ( 13Gm 1G 0A -17) (13 gm 3g 5A +1)
    Smyth (9 gm 1G 1A -11) (12 gm 3G 3A +3)
    Hemsky (13gm 1G 6A -11) (15GM 3G 3A even)
    Jones (7 gm 0G 1A -1) (8gm 2G 1A +2)

There is a clear diffrence with Hall not playing C and Gagner healthy.
    Do you hear that
    WITH GAGNER HEALTHY.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

Amazing article. Thanks for the tip. Good writer, I’ll have to check out his other stuff.

This quote is damning:

To sum this all up, leaving one of Tristan Jarry or Eric Comrie off the World Junior team would be a poor decision. Leaving both off in favour of Fucale and Paterson is indefensible. Despite this, Canada should still win the gold medal because the talent level in this country is so much better compared to every single nation in the world that it should be nearly impossible to screw up. Yet Hockey Canada somehow has for five years now, and it’s decisions like these that prioritize “heart” and “grit” and “winningness” over “ability to play hockey” that play a major role in those failures.

38. David says:

The problem with Hockey Canada is that they are always reacting. They overthink every team selection. They don’t take Nurse because they are scared of the occasional boogeyman. He might make a critical mental gaffe. He also might not. Petrangelo made that horrible mistake that lead to Canada getting silver. Does that mean the team should have passed up on him? You could argue yes because he did cost them. But then again if they play the rest of the tournament without him maybe they don’t make it to the Gold medal game. We don’t know. We do know he was the best defencemen available and so you take him. Doesn’t mean that Nurse with make a mistake. Then again why is Nurse singled out? They’re junior players!!! Mental gaffes is second nature to all of them! And what about the benefits that outweigh the negatives that nurse brings?

Hockey Canada better pray Bigras or Pelech never make a boneheaded mistake that costs the team big. Cause critics will pile on.

39. PaperKurtRussell says:

bookje,

Agreed. At least they seem like smart guys that will figure it out eventually. It’s nice to be a PPG guy, but when you’re -20 at the end of the year… not so much. I guess the true test will be some more California games to see where things are at with this group.

40. Caramel Obvious says:

David:

This is spot on.

41. Logan91 says:

zatch:
    Logan91,

I was doing a project on players drafted by nationality, and using the wikipedia pages, they tend to list the top prospects going into the draft, including the top 3 goalies in NA and INTL. It’s shocking how rarely any of those listed pan out. Anecdotaly, I am sure everyone here can remember many goalies who were highly touted who just fell off the face of the earth. It’s voodoo to predict goalie development.Bunz was a poor example. He has 4 decent games in the AHL, that’s all.

I’m not sitting here saying Fucale is the BPA and he’s going to win the gold for Canada, I’m just saying he’s not the worst possible choice. Lets wait until after the World Juniors before ripping the kids head off. The goalie decision has already been made and there’s nothing that’s going to change it. It’s not the worst possible duo, and this whole situation is over shadowing how good Paterson is.

What we can all agree on though, is that Hockey Canada isn’t doing that great of a job at putting together the best team possible. They pretty much just picked the players who had the most chemistry during the Subway Series. There should have been at least 40 of the best players invited to this camp to battle for a spot. Then we would have seen who really deserves it and who is really the best.

42. Caramel Obvious says:

This is a good line:

“Basically, a goalie’s only job is to stop the puck. Zachary Fucale is bad at stopping the puck. Therefore, Zachary Fucale is bad at his job and shouldn’t be on the World Junior team. It’s not difficult logic to follow, but for some reason, logic seems to have completely abandoned Ryan Jankowski and the rest of the Hockey Canada decision makers, as they’re citing stuff like Fucale’s “ability to win.”

For goaltenders, save percentage is everything. Comrie and Jarry are much better than Fucale and Patterson. This is incontrovertible.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hammers: from the top rung N.Schultz , Potter ,Grebs , Jones , Eager , Acton , (please) Smack, Omark , Smyth ( If he keeps playing like he has I would give him 1 year at a $ 1 mill for 55 games, to help ease somebody else in ) & Hemsky .

Acton signed a 2 year deal along with R. Hamilton.

44. spoiler says:

Re: Bryzgalov

How does the saying go…

“Once an Oiler, always injured”?

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Logan91,

I think you are way off base here. I think most people who invest any time and thought into hockey will do two things:

1. Try to suss out what Hockey Canada was thinking and if their judgment was off try to explain why.

2. Once the puck drops, cheer like hell.

You are confusing the two things. You get to be a sycophantic boob for 60mins of game time. We all do.

If Cam Abney were on the Oilers today, for 60mins I’d cheer like mad for him and be happy for him and his family.

Literally every other second of the day I thought about hockey and Abney would be devoting to a scathing skepticism about the decision making process of the Oilers.

These aren’t mutually exclusive things.

46. bookje says:

Ugh – Rogers Place – man, I miss the Colosseum (the name).

Can we just call it “the Chop”

If not, can someone else come up with a name that makes the official name something you almost never hear. Something like the Gherkin in London where nobody even knows what its formal name is.

47. bookje says:

Caramel Obvious:

For goaltenders, save percentage is everything.Comrie and Jarry are much better than Fucale and Patterson.This is incontrovertible.

Which would you rather have, the goalie that wins you games or the goalie with the better save percentage? I would rather have the wins any day.

48. TheGreatMutato says:

David:

They basically have the job every year of re-assembling The Avengers, selecting from the largest, most popular stable of superheroes available. Sure, they select Spiderman (who wouldn’t), but they leave Hulk off of the team in favor of Howard the Duck even though the math shows that Howard’s Quack Fu is bullshit. Meanwhile, any kid who has ever walked into a comic book store knows intuitively that Hulk is a decent guy to have in your roster. He tries to do to much and they don’t like him when he’s angry.

The luxury of choice is something these folks routinely abuse to our national detriment.

49. bookje says:

Ok, my comment above regarding goalie wins was not at all serious, I was just trying to make somebody’s head explode. If you are a coroner and you are currently cleaning up an exploded head, please take a moment and post here letting me know I was successful.

50. spoiler says:

Woodguy:
    Great post on the goaltender selection for CAN WJR team.
    Cliff notes: They screwed up badly.
    Also,
    Looking forward to the game
    I think these teams are actually fairly evenly matched.
    Might come down to special teams.
    Hope they shoot the bloody puck on the PP.
    Go Oilers!

The PP could use some improvement, although the last PP against Dallas was well-run and unlucky not to score. Better supported zone entries and less static set-up.

There was less support to the puck carrier provided by the free forwards in the Dallas game. Less coming below the goal line to help out, and the lateral gaps (cross ice) were back to being wide again. BigD implied in his post game presser that the Oil were a tired team making some lazy mistakes. Hopefully that has been pointed out and they go back to playing smart and supportive like they were at the beginning of this stretch. If they do, I think they will beat the Coyotes.

RNH’s inability to hit the bloody net from 10 feet out is becoming a concern again this year. It was awful last year, but LT and others put it down to the injured shoulder. Certainly in his rookie season and his last season in Junior, this inability wasn’t there. I’m gonna go back to the stick change he made last fall… it doesn’t seem to be working. He has more velocity, but too much flex is skying the puck.

51. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

And future prospects as well. I see Leon and the German Shuffle Demons play Canada on Boxing day.

52. spoiler says:

A goalie obviously cannot win a game. You need to score to win, and a goalie isn’t going to score without a lead and an empty net.

But goalies can obvously lose you games. I think that’s what Jankowsky is talking about when he refers to goalie wins… he’s talking about Not-losing. About making the save you should make, even when the pressure is on.

But I don’t think that skill can be determined from the win column, especially on a team like the Mooseheads where the keeper is getting ungodly run support.

There has to be a way though to quantify this somewhat… blown 3rd period leads, wins with more than 3 goals against, losses with more than 3 goals for, first shot save percentage….something along those lines? Without bringing in the subjectivity of what-is-a-makeable-save?

53. Alpine says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Well yeah, I suppose what I should have said is that while a 4 game streak in a better league is a nice arrow, I’m not sure it reflects his true ability more than a full season of bad in the ECHL. At the same time, I agree that he should be given more time to develop and he isn’t someone I’d write off. In the context of Logan’s argument, I felt I should nitpick that Bunz’s 4 games of decent play wasn’t a very compelling point.

54. G Money says:

bookje:
    Ok, my comment above regarding goalie wins was not at all serious, I was just trying to make somebody’s head explode.If you are a coroner and you are currently cleaning up an exploded head, please take a moment and post here letting me know I was successful.

MORE SIZE!

MORE GRITENSITY!

MORE FACEPUNCHERS!

WHO CARES ABOOT CORGIS!

WE NEED CLUTCH PLAYERS!

55. Old School G says:

TheGreatMutato: It often feels as though the staff involved in selecting Canadian hockey teams favors over-complication as a means to justify their own jobs and then point to the obscurity of their choices as evidence of their expertise.

They basically have the job every year of re-assembling The Avengers, selecting from the largest, most popular stable of superheroes available.Sure, they select Spiderman (who wouldn’t), but they leave Hulk off of the team in favor of Howard the Duck even though the math shows that Howard’s Quack Fu is bullshit.Meanwhile, any kid who has ever walked into a comic book store knows intuitively that Hulk is a decent guy to have in your roster.He tries to do to much and they don’t like him when he’s angry.

And that’s a Bingo!

56. spoiler says:

G Money: Phew, thanks for the clarification. My head did not explode, but I now have a giant crack on the side of my skull and my brains are oozing out and I feel … I feel …
    MORE SIZE!
    MORE GRITENSITY!
    MORE FACEPUNCHERS!
    WHO CARES ABOOT CORGIS!
    WE NEED CLUTCH PLAYERS!

What? No EYEGLOW? That team isn’t going anywhere.

What a lousy luck for Edmonton, the city, in Rogers buying the naming rights?

OK, it is better than playing in Canadian Tire Place.

The money is probably nice though.

Wonder when they are going to stop cutting bait and buy Shaw.

The Oilers desparately wanted Fucale, and traded down as soon as he was off the board rather than draft Jarry or Comrie, with Jarry literally under their noses.

And then they traded an actual NHL defensemen in Smid for Broissoit.

They obviously feel the same way as Hockey Canada.

MacT also wanted Clarkson for about $1million more per season than the Leafs overpaid.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Brackenburied:

And future prospects as well.I see Leon and the German Shuffle Demons play Canada on Boxing day.

Love the Shuffle Demons-saw them several times during the 90′s in small venues-the boys did a killer rendition of the HNIC them.

Eakins pregame audio

-no Gordon
    -Larsen is close but the lineup is essentially the same as last game

60. Thinker says:

Great a chance for those terrible broadcasters to get closer to the team. My biggest fear is naming it Principe Place.

61. Andy P says:

godot10:

And then they traded an actual NHL defensemen in Smid for Broissoit.

They obviously feel the same way as Hockey Canada.

Did nobody else notice that Comrie had prior surgery for the same degenerative hip condition that took his brother Mike out of hockey?

Minus the health issue, granted he is a great choice. With the issue, not so much.

62. hoser313 says:

TheGreatMutato:

Nice analogy. The Canadians haven’t made the finals the last 2 years and haven’t won gold since 2009 so fans have every right to question the selection process.

63. spoiler says:

OK, it is better than playing in Canadian Tire Place.
    The money is probably nice though.
    Wonder when they are going to stop cutting bait and buy Shaw.

Was Dysfunctional Taxpayer Arena already taken?

Too clunky?

The Public Trough is a nice snappy name for an ice rink. Socialist Stadium? Commie Place?

Actually we can combine both naming rights:

Citizens Rogered Ice Palace.

Perfect.

64. iHockeyWpg says:

Tobias Rieder, the one that got away. Thanks Tambellini.

65. spoiler says:

Robert Tychkowski ,Edmonton Sun
    First posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:56 PM MST | Updated: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 01:11 PM MST

Ilya Bryzgalov could be back by Thursday, or he could be out till Christmas.

The Edmonton Oilers are hoping and expecting their injured netminder will only be out a few days, but admit there’s no such thing as a time line when you’re dealing with concussion symptoms.

The area is so grey they’re not even sure he actually has one – it could be whiplash – but they’re taking the precautionary route.

“It might be two days, it might be two years, take your pick,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, who watched Bryzgalov go down in the second period in Dallas. “He took a wicked blow when (Ryan) Garbutt was driving the net. It’s something that unfortunately happens when guys are trying to score goals.

“He’s got the symptoms that go together with a concussion, or whiplash or whatever way you want to put it. We always treat those immediately as a concussion, even though we’re not quite sure if that’s what it is or not.”

Some stuff about the importance of winning faceoffs from Eakins in there too.

66. Brackenburied says:

godot10: What a lousy luck for Edmonton, the city, in Rogers buying the naming rights?Rogers Centre, Rogers Arena, Rogers Place. That in effing hell doesn’t help Edmonton, the city, with international promotion.OK, it is better than playing in Canadian Tire Place. The money is probably nice though.Wonder when they are going to stop cutting bait and buy Shaw.

How about ‘The Jolly Roger’? Where you can expect a jolly good rogering.

67. G Money says:

spoiler: Citizens Rogered Ice Palace.

Perfect.

Nice. I’m imagining the conversation went something like this:

Roger$ Exec 1: “Hey, look, another drop pass by the Oilers.”

Roger$ Exec 2: “Wait a second. We drop calls all the time.”

Roger$ Exec 1: “Are you thinking what I”m thinking?”

Roger$ Exec 2: “YEAH! LET’S BUY THE NAMING RIGHTS TO THE ARENA! It’s a perfect fit.”

Roger$ Exec 1: “Huh. That’s not what I was thinking at all. I was thinking we should raise cell phone rates.”

Katz: “HEY! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! I’M GOING TO RAISE TICKET PRICES!”

Oiler fans: “Aw fuck, BOHICA”.

68. Gret99zky says:

Roger’s Porkchop Palace.

69. RexLibris says:

Brackenburied: How about ‘The Jolly Roger’? Where you can expect a jolly good rogering.

The Jolly Roger.

70. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Regarding earlier post of Bunz, Brossoit, and Tuohimaa…

I suggest we trade Tuohimaa to Calgary for Backlund telling Feaster that he is the best goaltender not in the NHL.

Seriously though, my money is on Bunz and Brossoit amongst that (admittedly limited) group.

71. Caramel Obvious says:

bookje:

Luckily, I remembered your previous posts on said subject and hence recognized the understated parody.

72. FastOil says:

It’s nice to see the guys at Hockey Canada have thick skins and thick heads.

It would ruin Christmas to think that they might feel somehow, responsible, or, pig ignorant, for the dismal failure that it is to have 15 times as many good hockey players as any other country and the majority of elite ones, and still be unable to pick a team able to win a short tournament, for years and years.

It might shake the self confidence of mere ordinary men.

73. dsr29 says:

denny33:
    Bruce McCurdy,

*****************************************************************************

Just so we’re clear, that play is preventable and Grebeshkov butchered it from the offensive blueline all the way back to his goal line! Plenty of safe play options available. Yakupov didn’t help him but that goal is on Grebeshkov. Enough excuses.

74. spoiler says:

RexLibris: I second that. Piracy themes abound, be it ticket prices, concession prices, game events, level of hygiene of the average fan, etc

Hey, or the outright theft of taxpayer money by councilpersons and a billionaire for an insanely grandiose vision.

75. spoiler says:

RexLibris: The Jolly Roger.

The building does look like it’s about to take off and embark on the Kessel Spice Run at any moment. Maybe Han Solo can sing the national anthems?

76. RexLibris says:

So, this is a bit off-topic, but its a sports blog so…

I have an Insult-a-day desk calendar and this was today:

Question: Four Dallas Cowboys are in a car. Who’s driving?

Answer: The police.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

77. RexLibris says:

spoiler: The building does look like it’s about to take off and embark on the Kessel Spice Run at any moment.Maybe Han Solo can sing the national anthems?

But can it do the run in less than eight parsecs?

;)

78. spoiler says:

RexLibris: But can it do the run in less than eight parsecs?

I’ve always wondered how he did the run in less distance as opposed to less time.

79. RexLibris says:

spoiler,

Simple. Because George Lucas thought it sounded cool. That and the Millenium Falcon is just that awesome a ship that it can alter the very fabric of spacetime, but still has a spotty hyperdrive record.

And correction, I guess it was under 12 parsecs.

80. oilersfan says:

RexLibris,

and whoever said guys on hockey blog forums are nerds?

81. Henry says:

Are you saying that ScarJo is trying out for the WJC?

82. Henry says:

bookje:

I was thinking that this blog needed a diener. On the other hand you have to beware anyone doing that job as a hobby.

83. Lois Lowe says:

The Jolly Rogered is a fantastic name for the new arena. I am fully in support of this.

84. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe:

I mean, we’d have a flag and ingrained subversive reference built in. And I can think of nothing more typically Edmontonian than the gallows humour that could accompany.

85. RexLibris says:

Henry: Are you saying that ScarJo is trying out for the WJC?

LT is already online trying to buy the jersey.

;)

86. spoiler says:

Lines and Pairings courtesy of Stauffer:

Hall-RNH-Eberle,
    Yakupov-Arcobello-Perron
    Jones-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-Acton-Joensuu

Ference-Petry
    Grebeshkov-J. Schultz
    N. Schultz-Belov

Some shuffling up front as Gordon recovers from injury. Grebs hasn’t played his way back to the minors, but might just be a placeholder till Larsen returns.

87. Lois Lowe says:

Does this mean that Eakins has finally realized that Gadzooks really doesn’t bring much to the table? Also, do we know if Gordon is suffering from Oilers Syndrome (shoulder injury)?

88. spoiler says:

spoiler: Lines and Pairings courtesy of Stauffer:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle,
    Yakupov-Arcobello-Perron
    Jones-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-Acton-Joensuu
    Ference-Petry
    Grebeshkov-J. Schultz
    N. Schultz-Belov

I should note that Gregor has L2 as

Perron Arco Yak

Ie. wingers flipped… which seems more likely.

89. VanOil says:

Going with LTs logic -the key now is to identify the kids who are attached to the new GM- versus his fandom -I’d prefer Dubnyk- I will suggest Dubbie is done like dinner as an a Oiler and out of here as soon a Bryz can screw his head on straight and BTO can rock again.

I hope he plays well (returns to form) for the next month and then moves to the Sun. How about Dubbie to Florida for Kulikov and Matthias with maybe Fedun (who scored against them) thrown in. Thomas is not the long term answer in Florida, Markstrom is back in the AHL and Kulikov is in the dog house. The stats say Dubbie can be an OK goalie but let down his GM in his first season and Fedun is probably as good or better than replacement level on both the Panthers and Oilers. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/panthers-blog/sfl-panthers-coach-benches-horachek-20131203,0,3916194.story

For the Oilers we get my man crush of a player, Matthias, who would make our top 9 bigger and stop some of the winning about size. Also Kulikov is right about the age where D men start to figure it out or get flushed. He is not #1D but he would buy more time for prospects like Kelfbom and Nurse to develop. Adding Kulikov and Mattias with this transaction and maybe Ehrhoff with another and I think the Oilers a more competitive team. A Scrivens type free agent goalie to compete with Bryz for the #1 next year would not brake the bank. Though when you are flying the Jolly Roger who cares about the bank.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

At 8 you can watch here:

in the meantime… this Leaves killing is awesome. go SJS.

This San Jose-Toronto game is all kinds of awesome.

92. VanOil says:

This San Jose-Toronto game is all kinds of awesome.

Agreed

CAN might (probably) still win due to the sheer number of excellent players to pick from.

Seems like Hockey Canada is bound and determined to hobble themselves by not taking the best players, but look for “role players”

Role players play a role because they’re not the best players.

Logan91:
    Woodguy,

I don’t really agree with that article, stats don’t always show the future.Look at Bunz as an example, horrible year last year. Everyone thought he was done, and what does he do? Comes to the AHL and puts up great numbers.

As for WHL goalies in the article having a better SP, it’s no big secretthat the WHL is a lot more physically and defensively played. The goalies are given a lot more help from their teams.

Past SV% is a decent predictor of future SV%

Wins, Championships etc, are team metrics, not goalie metrics.

Also, you know Bunz let in 3 of 4 shots the other day right?

fuzzy muppet:
    Grebeshkov and Jultz together…..

Yikes

Grebs is awesome.

You just need to put up with the Acid Moments.

I miss The Glitter Twins.

Would be quality pairing on this team.

russ99:
    Racki,

Agreed.

I’m hopeful that we’re still in the “tear them down” phase, and the loosening of the reins forthe skill players, aka “build them back up the right way” is coming soon.

Given the Fenclose results from the last 5 games, I’d say this team has learned and are starting to implement it.

I don’t think anyone has been torn down.

Accountable is not tearing down.

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marincin (Omark)

beautiful play by Omark… streaking into the zone with crazy speed, stops on a dime, passes off to Marincin who buries it.

Marincin has looked great tonight by the way.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Woodguy,

This quote is damning:

I got onto him after Tyler re-tweeted some of his stuff.

Agree that he has the goods.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: If anything written can crush a goalie’s confidence, then they’re pretty fragile to start with.

Role players play a role because they’re not the best players.

Remember when they wanted to take Ewanyk before he got injured?

Hockey Canada. Like the Oilers but responsible for more people.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Logan91,

2. Once the puck drops, cheer like hell.

These aren’t mutually exclusive things.

Well put sir.

Romulus Apotheosis: Remember when they wanted to take Ewanyk before he got injured?

Hockey Canada. Like the Oilers but responsible for more people.

Man.

102. VanOil says:

I am amused by the 13 foot of Slovakian D pairing in OKC tonight.

spoiler: The PP could use some improvement, although the last PP against Dallas was well-run and unlucky not to score.Better supported zone entries and less static set-up.

There was less support to the puck carrier provided by the free forwards in the Dallas game.Less coming below the goal line to help out, and the lateral gaps (cross ice) were back to being wide again.BigD implied in his post game presser that the Oil were a tired team making some lazy mistakes.Hopefully that has been pointed out and they go back to playing smart and supportive like they were at the beginning of this stretch.If they do, I think they will beat the Coyotes.

RNH’s inability to hit the bloody net from 10 feet out is becoming a concern again this year.It was awful last year, but LT and others put it down to the injured shoulder. Certainly in his rookie season and his last season in Junior, this inability wasn’t there.I’m gonna go back to the stick change he made last fall… it doesn’t seem to be working. He has more velocity, but too much flex is skying the puck.

I didn’t notice the lack of support.

I did notice that when the D fucked around with the puck instead of moving it fast his support wasn’t around to help.

Slow decisions are killer in this system.

N.Shultz needs to go and Ference needs to be better.

To Ference’s defence I saw him make some good plays quickly with the puck, but the way the F’s circle then fly when they get the puck tells me that that’s the system and the D better keep up.

VanOil:
    I am amused by the 13 foot of Slovakian D pairing in OKC tonight.

13 odd foot of Slovakians?

godot10:

And then they traded an actual NHL defensemen in Smid for Broissoit.

They obviously feel the same way as Hockey Canada.

All of these things are very concerning.

Saw him good rules the day at Oilers HQ.

106. Rebilled says:

Woodguy,

Grebs is awesome sounds really funny.

107. VanOil says:

Woodguy: 13 odd foot of Slovakians?

Marincin and Gernat were monetarily on the ice together inspiring Sea Shanties but yes the ‘odd’ is required in that analysis. http://youtu.be/5a2Jr6yIpaM

108. Caramel Obvious says:

Now the word is that Subban is likely to be left off the Olympic team. Meanwhile Chris Kunitz is receiving serious consideration.

These people really don’t understand their own sport.

A big part of me (my brain) wants them to lose. They deserve it.

109. sliderule says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Ok Bruce
    If you are playing the 1-3-1 or Finnish power play or the umbrella with the one D and two forwards up high were does Grebs play?

Come on you are better than that.

Caramel Obvious:
    Now the word is that Subban is likely to be left off the Olympic team.Meanwhile Chris Kunitz is receiving serious consideration.

These people really don’t understand their own sport.

A big part of me (my brain) wants them to lose.They deserve it.

Tyler posted this on twitter earlier:

Since Subban’s rookie season, the Habs have 61% of the 5v5 goals with him on the ice. Cartoon stuff.

Yeah, leave him off the team because he doesn’t “fit a role”

Good bloody Gord.

Caramel Obvious:

These people really don’t understand their own sport.

A big part of me (my brain) wants them to lose.They deserve it.

Let’s take:

26gp 3g 7a 10pts Bigras

over

26gp 8g 20a 28pts Nurse.

Why?

Well, Bigras can play a 3rd pairing role and blocks shots, as per Jankowski, Head Scout Hockey Canada.

They don’t know that Nurse doesn’t have as many blocked shots because HIS GODDAM TEAM HAS THE PUCK WHEN HE’S ON THE ICE.

Its truly crazy.

Tyler sums it up well here in his Subban post: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6475

112. Rebilled says:

I love when this team(so far) shows up.

Damnit!

113. steveb12344 says:

*Sigh*

114. OilClog says:

Dubnyk’s positioning drives me insane!

Oilers have some jump tonight and are getting the puck out fairly often under control. That’s a good thing, we’ll have to see if they can catch up before Phoenix scores again.

116. hunter1909 says:

Brave new World advertising aside, am really enjoying the Phoenix broadcast. They call the game properly, unlike that weird setup they’re running in Katz-monton.

117. hunter1909 says:

Fun how before buying the team, Katz promised an overhaul of many things which have simply been turned into a political promise forgotten.

118. steveb12344 says:

What a play by Arco!

Perron (Arcobello)

120. VanOil says:

A line like Perron Arco Yak will never work they are too small and too skilled… Oh wait

121. D says:

Man, I have more faith in Arco after 30 games than Gagner after 6 plus seasons.

122. steveb12344 says:

Arco just almost never makes a bad play…. Very solid.

123. Rebilled says:

Whoa, what was that NUGE pass?

The thing about Arcobello is that he can play with these skill players. That’s a big deal. Impressive player.

VERY nice strip by Arcobello there. Best period as an Oiler? Might be.

126. Derek says:

Playing Acton over Arcobello should be a stoneable offence.

127. VanOil says:

Arco has now passed the ‘don’t bet against’ category for me. He is now in the ‘too skilled to be denied’ grouping.

128. Pouzar says:

VERY nice strip by Arcobello there. Best period as an Oiler? Might be.

That was good first period right?

Pouzar: the guy uses every bit of that 165 to separate dudes from the puck. Very impressive.

That was good first period right?

130. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Yes, Oilers moved the puck quickly out of their zone and at even strength had the advantage (haven’t seen the Corgi)..

that’s what it seemed like to me…been distracted reading the SOSH thread about Ellsbury signing withe Yankees…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

131. VanOil says:

Believe the cute girl in the red pants, Rocksmith is a great/fun way to learn the Guitar.

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Texas wins 5-4

Brossoit not great. 5 on 27 shots.

Check out the lines of Marincin and Ewanyk (after ripping him today he plays a great game)

Marincin 1-0-1 +1 5 shots
    Ewanyk 1-0-1 +1 4 shots

Omark and Fedun each with 2 assists.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 48s

Oilers owned that period at EV. Corsi 18-8, 69.2%. Expected goals 1.2-0.4, EG% 75%. Actual goals 1-0.

134. Derek says:

Sharks were 71-32 CF vs the Leafs in that earlier game at 5 on 5. Nonis and Carlyle are national treasures.

Oilers 18-8 by the short, happy dog metric.

135. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 48s

Look under your seats everyone… You get a Corgi, you get a Corgi, you get a Corgi, you all get Corgis!!

136. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Derek: the short, happy dog metric

Let’s go with this. I like this. Have to run it by Art though.

137. VanOil says:

Poor Jim his fancy stat has went too the dogs

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Derek:
    Sharks were 71-32 CF vs the Leafs in that earlier game at 5 on 5.Nonis and Carlyle are national treasures.

Oilers 18-8 by the short, happy dog metric.

They gave that first goal to Brown huh? I thought it went off someone else… at any rate, he probably thought he was playing a different former team (i.e., us)

I’m enjoying this game, appears to be more than enough Oiler chances and they’re getting the puck out of the zone under control.

and not a PP.

(hides)

140. D says:

The PP fell apart when Hall decided to play Captain Howitzer with his missed shot. So typical.

141. Pouzar says:

Perron is so f^ckin slick.

EDIT: SIGH

142. fuzzy muppet says:

Oh Dubnyk….

We hoped for the best but it turned out the same.

144. Derek says:

Good thing they got that 4th line out there immediately following a GA to aimlessly wander around the ice for 2 minutes and make it a 2 goal deficit.

145. D says:

That’s the Dubnyk special.

146. OilClog says:

Good Gord

147. SK Oiler Fan says:

WTF was Petry doing there? Holy hell DDs fiver is a funnel

148. Lloyd B. says:

Stop watching the puck !!

149. Pouzar says:

How do u come back after that. Just wow.

150. LMHF#1 says:

Get well soon Ilya. Jeezus…it’s like 40 is just having a snooze back there.

151. steveb12344 says:

#PrayforBryz

152. VanOil says:

Derek:

This tactic has been bugging me all year.

153. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Everything that is old is new again.

It’s like the beginning of the year. Dominate the 5×5 shots. Die on special teams. Give up the d-zone. Bad tending.

154. SK Oiler Fan says:

You’d think a 6ft 6 goaltender wouldn’t lose so many pucks.

155. Ice Sage says:

No Bryz = DD back to being lazy. He’s hemorrhaging tens of thousands of future contract money with each shiv he sticks in the Oilers prison-shared hide.
    Got some lights to put up c ya

156. whale says:

Dubnyk is dumb as a bucket. No anticipation. No no no. Never mind, it’s no longer f’ing worth it.

157. jp says:

I was only half watching. Was Belov just clotheslined from behind there?

158. LMHF#1 says:

It’s one thing to miss a tip. It is the second goal I can’t forgive. He can’t get from his net to the end boards. Bryzgalov gets that and clears the puck on the first goal 9/10 times at least.

159. SK Oiler Fan says:

J Shultz and Gagner pushed off the puck so easily on that PP.

160. OilBuzz says:

We are a bad team..

161. hunter1909 says:

Another nice easy game for the opposition. Oilers are a lots of fun to play, one of the most popular teams, they say.

162. hunter1909 says:

How many of you feel that your reaction time to seeing the game unfolding is as good or better than Dubnyk’s? And you’re just watching the play, on tv?

163. hunter1909 says:

Looks like being another 2 periods and enough Oilers experience.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The d-zone brain cramps and the lack of a failsafe in net really hamper this team. But right now I’m most worried about the anemic PP. God that is awful. No movement, no second looks, no diversity of attempts. Each attempt is singular and exactly like the last one.

Arcobello has been solid tonight. I don’t have any hope for the PP but the 1line and Arco-Perron give some slight chance.

A goal here, but then, it’s the power play.

166. SK Oiler Fan says:

If there were a rating for quality of chances given up, the Oilers would be tops. Got to be 5 grade A chances from the slot this period. It’s just a free place for the opposition to go hang out. Coaching? Dumb players? both?

167. OilBuzz says:

On that zoomed in footage of the rolling puck just now, i was expecting it to roll between Dubnyk’s legs, Toskala stlye.

168. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909,

Beware the big cavalier ‘shot-blocking’ goalie. They were the slow tall ones in minor hockey, funnelled into the G position in the late 90′s when butterfly was the rage and equipment ballooned – the G got good results via size and passivity… the game has changed, shooters and well-coached teams have figured out how to beat the few Dubnyks who are left. Athleticism in net is key e.g. J Quick. will anyone in the Oilers goaltending coaching department be held accountable?
    Bye bye Dublodocus, you’re extinct

169. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Look at that. Look at it.

This is a good game. This is a team playing a good game. And they are fucking wasting the effort with this bullshit.

Pay attention in the D-zone for crying out loud. And figure out that damn PP.

170. hunter1909 says:

Ice Sage:
    hunter1909,

Beware the big cavalier ‘shot-blocking’ goalie.They were the slow tall ones in minor hockey, funnelled into the G position in the late 90′s when butterfly was the rage and equipment ballooned – the G got good results via size and passivity… the game has changed, shooters and well-coached teams have figured out how to beat the few Dubnyks who are left.Athleticism in net is key e.g. J Quick.will anyone in the Oilers goaltending coaching department be held accountable?
    Bye bye Dublodocus, you’re extinct

Kevin Lowe and MacT have nurtured this Dubnyk as if he was of royal blood in Elizabethan England. How long has it been, 10 fucking years??

Meanwhile one rookie or young goalie wins a cup after another, while Oilers continue to hold on to this 1st round diamond.

Perron (Hemsky, Hall)

172. Fixall with Rexall says:

Arco is our best player period.

I’ve never seen a power play clear the zone on their own with so many missed shots to the far side in my life.

173. Ice Sage says:

Reminder to MacT – special box of Oilers Xmas tarts to Doug Armstrong.

Edit – I didn’t mean those ice girls but that would do, too – Perron keeps showing the way

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh, I love the frenchman.

That crosscheck to OEL AFTER the goal… wow! be still my heart.

175. SK Oiler Fan says:

Does St. Louis have any more Perrons?

176. Minister D- says:

Best goal of the year. Not because it was the prettiest, but because Perron scored, cross checked a guy, lipped the goalie, shoved another guy, lipped that guy, skated off. To quote John Candy’s Del Griffith in Trains, Planes, and Automobiles: “love….love isn’t a big enough word”

177. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kulikov anyone?

178. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

“I know you, yea, you’re the guy that tried to get in my cab.”

Minister D-:

Awesome

180. dangilitis says:

“don’t think there’s a huge difference between Dubnyk and the Russian, but there are plenty of Oiler fans who are freaking out about it. I’d prefer Dubnyk, but that’s based on cheering for him over the years”

I used to agree with you LT, you can see it all over my posts pre-season. “Cheering for him over the years” bought him 15 games into the season to find a groove.

I know he won the scholastic player of the year 10 years ago, and honours would have cut it back then.

An NHL team needs, at the very minimum, honours with distinction, and he hasn’t even managed that. Defensive mistakes are amplified because of his subpar play. If Oilers had one of Reimer or Bernier, this team would still be in contention and I could enjoy watching games for the rest of the season. I blame him most of all, and no one should feel bad for him. He’s a goalie and signed up for the attention that comes with the job, and he’s just not good enough. Maybe he’ll be a Roli, but I don’t care to find out.

181. Halfwise says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Kulikov anyone?

For Grebs straight across.

182. ASkoreyko says:

Man these Phoenix announcers are quite far from being a homer. They showed the Perron taunt of Smith and actually defended what Perron did!

The more I watch the out of town feed, the more sad it makes me that Rogers now controls everything Oilers for the rest of time.

Start of the period, aggressive forecheck leads to an uneasy breakout. Oilers can’t smoothly transition and the rest of the shift is mush.

184. steveb12344 says:

RSN Turning point?

185. pboy says:

Pretty hard to win when you have so many non NHLers in your lineup. LaBarbera, Grebs, Acton and Jesse aren’t NHL caliber players. MacT has a ton of work to do this summer.

Someone needs to tell these linemen that no one in the building came to watch them kick guts out of the face off circle all goddamn night.

186. dangilitis says:

Moss looked like a bully stealing Dubie’s lunch money on that one, except Dubie looked like he was reaching for it for show.

187. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Kulikov anyone?

I traded DD for him and Matthias earlier, tonight’s DD does not get it done.

188. D says:

ASkoreyko:

I’ve enjoyed listening to the away feed all season (on the NHL.com subscription).

189. steveb12344 says:

I wonder how long before Rogers buys the old HNIC theme-song.

They might as well, I mean what’s TSN gonna do with it.

190. steveb12344 says:

steveb12344: RSN Turning point?

OK…Never mind.

191. D says:

Was that one on J Shultz?

192. hunter1909 says:

In fairness to Dubnyk, he did appear to have made a good save.

“Oilers defense picking flowers” yotes color man lol

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

WTF were 3 Oilers doing behind the net? Is that the swarm? Fk I hate the swarm.

194. pboy says:

J Schultz is stunned in his own end. He’ll figure it out eventually but I can’t imagine a worse partner for him than Grebs.

MacT outsmarted himself with the Grebs signing. He’s too flaky to play NHL defence.

195. hunter1909 says:

Love how the Klowe MacT Axis continue to risk one season after another based upon false assumptions and premises re the state of the team either as constituted, or going forward.

THis season it’s down to Dubnyk being useless.

Last season I don’t remember, but there was something.

Next year, more of the same? 9 years out of the playoffs? 10?

196. pboy says:

hunter1909:

THis season it’s down to Dubnyk being useless.

Last season I don’t remember, but there was something.

Next year, more of the same? 9 years out of the playoffs? 10?

Maybe Katz will hire Gretzky to take Lowe’s job. Can’t be any worse than Kevin’s been.

197. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Fate wants Dubnyk to be the goalie of record. It also wants him to have a really bad contract year.

He plays bad. Labarbera plays worse.

He plays bad. Bachman gets injured.

He plays better, much. Bryz shows up, steals the job, gets injured.

He plays bad.

I really don’t want to dump on the guy, he’s getting it a ton this year, much of it undeserved. But, man… shitty year to blow a tire. Even worse to have designated drivers keep showing up only to die on site.

[edit] And he lets in another one. It’s near impossible to cheer for this guy.

[edit again] and another!!!!!

Wow. That’s a Bobby Orr goal by Yandle.

199. hunter1909 says:

“Too big, too strong for some of these small Oiler forwards” Yotes announcer.

200. hunter1909 says: