COYOTES AT OILERS, G29 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers get a tough test tonight against the Phoenix Coyotes. The home team is 5-5-0 in their last 10, the visitors 4-4-2. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE RUSSIANbryzgalov3

Ilya Bryzgalov is middle hurt; he’s bad enough for the Oilers to call up Jason LaBarbera to backup DD tonight, but not so badly they needed to place him on the IR (poor Corey Potter was sent down today in order to make room). I don’t think there’s a huge difference between Dubnyk and the Russian, but there are plenty of Oiler fans who are freaking out about it. I’d prefer Dubnyk, but that’s based on cheering for him over the years. I like goalies who stop pucks, so if they can find one of those it’s all good, and I think they have two now.

RIMMER

rimmer

The Barons play tonight, Ty Rimmer apparently getting the start. That means 1,000 goalies have played for the Barons this season.

1. Jason LaBarbera 2, 1.93 .953
  2. Richard Bachman 8, 2.37 .925
  3. Laurent Brossoit 4, 2.26 .922
  4. Tyler Bunz 4, 3.15 .914
  5. Olivier Roy 4, 3.29 .897
  6. Ilya Bryzgalov 2, 3.03 .880

It’s funny, the Barons have enjoyed solid goaltending all year long (Roy and Bryz are subpar) and it’ll be interesting to see what happens next season with this group (and Chet Pickard who is also in the mix). Brossoit and Bunz would be the odds-on to be retained but remember the key now is to identify the kids who are attached to the new GM.

Which means Brossoit.

ANOTHER RUSSIAN

Abbotsford vs. OKC Barons 11-15-13

• Dallas Eakins: “I don’t fault him totally for the shorthanded goal. We had a player there who was coming to support him, then he screwed off on him and he was left all alone. But the other play later, the guy blew by him and we thought Grebby was having trouble with the speed. We felt it was time to control his minutes.”

I like this quote, it’s true and  yet he doesn’t call out the player responsible. I think that probably gets the coach more support than anything—he defended his guy while telling the truth and didn’t throw anyone else under the bus ala Tom Renney with Sam Gagner—and he doesn’t lose his player.

Grebeshkov’s an interesting player. Oiler fans can’t stand him, but you can see why he gets the minutes. Grebeshkov can move that puck, which is central to the Eakins system. I think we may see Klefbom or Marincin some time in the next few weeks.

NURSE!

NURSE44

• More Eakins: “Would I like the kid to be there? Absolutely, but I know when you get excluded from something, it usually burns your butt. It lights a fire inside of you. I remember when  I talked to Darnell and told him we were sending him down (Soo), I saw the fire starting to burn. I’m sure this will be the same and it might be a great, great motivator for him.”

Music! I think Nurse got screwed, but that happens in choosing team Canada every year. If he uses this as a reason to play with an edge, to shove it where the sun don’t shine, it’s all good from here.

• Nurse: “Obviously I’m disappointed. You work for it. I could have probably put a little more effort to make the team, but I’ve put that behind me now and now my focus is here in Sault Ste. Marie and the rest of the season.”

I love this kid. He doesn’t point the finger at others, there’s no ‘poor me’ in him. LOVE IT! Godspeed, Darnell Nurse.

LAST 10 GAMES (forwards)

9. Boyd Gordon 9, 1-2-3 -2
  10. Ryan Jones 5, 0-1-1 -2
  11. Will Acton 6, 0-0-0 -2
  12. Mark Arcobello 5, 0-0-0 -1
  13. Luke Gazdic 5, 0-0-0 -1
  14. Jesse Joensuu 10, 0-0-0 -5

It’s all coming around now, there’s really no one out of place (save Joensuu, and he seems to be doing better by eye). The top line is performing well, Perron’s outstanding, and the second line is finally delivering (Gagner’s been better and Yakupov is posting crooked numbers). We’ll forget this later, but during the tough times this year Boyd Gordon, Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky were men and deserve to be acknowledged for it.

LAST 10 GAMES (defense and goal)

1. Justin Schultz 6, 2-1-3 +4
  2. Phil Larsen 4, 0-3-3 -5
  3. Corey Potter 6, 0-2-2 -2
  4. Nick Schultz 10, 0-2-2 E
  5. Jeff Petry 10, 0-1-1 +3
  6. Andrew Ference 10, 1-0-1 +2
  7. Anton Belov 10, 0-1-1 -1
  8. Denis Grebeshkov 3, 0-1-1 E
  9. Taylor Fedun 1, 0-0-0 +1
  10. Devan Dubnyk 9, 2.37 .917
  11. Ilya Bryzgalov 4, 2.11 .939

Nice numbers here too, the goaltending has been rock solid in the last 10 games, and the defensemen are beginning to recover from the early-season calamity. Notice specifically Schultz the younger and Petry, it’s also interesting to see the veterans Ference and N Schultz doing well.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

ryan

A big day on the show! TSN 1260, 10 this morning. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Yakupov, Defensive coverage, turning North.
  • Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus and ESPN. Nurse omission, Connor McDavid, 2014 draft.
  • Sarah McLellan from Arizona Republic. Coyotes have some injuries and some question marks.
  • James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. We’ll talk about the Leafs and their market correction.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

russian wj

Slepyshev and Yakimov both made the Russian list, so there will be prospects for Oiler fans to follow at this year’s World Juniors.

317 Responses to "COYOTES AT OILERS, G29 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. OilClog says:

Wow

2. jp says:

Dubnyk’s Oilers career was already in grave peril, but it’s completely done now. He will not be retained past this season.

3. steveb12344 says:

Barbie,Barbie!

4. hunter1909 says:

Thats got to be a Seals type play.

5. TeeVee says:

As per the norm, when Dubnyk stinks, he REALLY stinks.

6. Rebilled says:

Disaster

7. D says:

So how much more does Dubnyk have to suck before there is 100% agreement that he is not an NHL goalie?

8. OilBuzz says:

Put a pylon in net

9. OilClog says:

Dubnyk may never get the net again for the Oilers

10. VanOil says:

Being beat by the Yotes is one thing, getting blown out by the Yotes is stomach turning.

11. Nuckout says:

Well, that escalated quickly.

12. dsr29 says:

Allan Bester looked bigger in goal than Dubnyk does.

13. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk looks and plays a lot like a mummified squirrel.

14. LMHF#1 says:

Wow.That’s a Bobby Orr goal by Yandle.

Did Jeff Petrys dive out of his way too?

And goal #6 was another sleepy Dubnyk special. I honestly wonder if he gives a damn. Sure doesn’t come through in the way he reacts. Oh look! A puck!

15. sliderule says:

Petry was really bad to.

16. D says:

OilBuzz:
    Put a pylon in net

Wouldn’t that be too much of an improvement for this management team?

17. Alsker says:

God I hope the Bryzzly bear is good to go on thursday and DD gets lost in the woods.

18. Fixall with Rexall says:

Yakupov looked so lazy on that Yandle goal. I thought he was changing he was making a line change but he just kept coasting into the oilers zone. Unreal. Hustle is tough to learn. I’m spent.

19. hunter1909 says:

D: Wouldn’t that be too much of an improvement for this management team?

lol

Put one of Lowe’s rings in net.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Why is Eakins leaving DD in there?

It’s like rubbing a dog’s nose in it.

21. Ice Sage says:

VanOil:

6 goals, 26 shots.
    Whoever said ‘he’ll turn it around, he’s a career .915′ is probably still buying Research in Motion stock

22. jp says:

Why don’t they put Barbs in? Maybe he could re-audition for the backup job.

Maybe Eakins hates Dubnyk for making his job so difficult and is hanging him out to dry like happened to Roy so many years ago (a major difference of course being that Roy was an elite goalie).

23. Ice Sage says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Why is Eakins leaving DD in there?

It’s like rubbing a dog’s nose in it.

Hoping for a Patrick Roy reaction (I am)

24. D says:

hunter1909: lol

Put one of Lowe’s rings in net.

25. Pouzar says:

Such a fucking promising start to this game, then brain dead d-coverage and a DD special.
    3-1…over.

26. Rondo says:

Once people realize that every player on this team is overrated then won’t be disappointed .

Results don’t lie.

27. Ice Sage says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Still dominating 5×5.

yeah but what about 6×6 ;-)

28. pboy says:

DeBrusk said we have to give Gagner credit. He back checked once this season, good for you Sammy!!!!

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

D:

Ice Sage: 6 goals, 26 shots.

I don’t think this is fair. In fact it is silly.

His last 10 games were solid. He’s having a really weird/awful year. really weird/awful. But there’s a track record here. And even this season we’ve seen a very long stretch of good play from him.

It is frankly far more absurd to doubt his historical level of play than to assume what we are seeing now is what he is and always was. Completely ahistorical and silly.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I don’t think this is fair. In fact it is silly.

Agreed. I think you’re absolutely right.

I also think he’s absolutely gone.

31. hunter1909 says:

On the Oiler “power play” the other team simply blocks the slot, the Oilers skate around impotently on the perimeter, and make silly passes.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: Oilers are a bad team, I don’t understand why people get upset over these types of games. Bad teams play like this and they win a few.

Pull your strawman back in the closet.

Everyone knows this is a bad team. But, they’ve played well tonight and have done over the last 6 games or so. This is a deeply, uneven team, but that doesn’t make the reality of their strong play vanish. Just as their strong play doesn’t make this sv% catastrophe vanish.

33. hunter1909 says:

Even Hall looks bad. As in doubtful to score. He’s never once looked anything but excellent since his first game as a rookie, ffs.

These kids are getting banged up like crazy. It’s unreal how none of the fans even seem to notice, let alone Kevin Lowe and his leprechauns.

34. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I don’t think this is fair. In fact it is silly.

35. hunter1909 says:

I’m starting to see POS’s ghost out there, I swear.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I also think he’s absolutely gone.

37. Nuckout says:

hunter1909:

I have the Benny Hill theme stuck in my head for some reason.

You have to give credit to Smith, he’s solid. He’s proof positive of what having a solid netminder from game one can do in the standings.

38. jp says:

Lowetide: Agreed. I think you’re absolutely right.

I also think he’s absolutely gone.

Was gonna say the same thing but more long windedly.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: I love yer posts man but there is no way MacT shares this sentiment. I sure don’t not that it means anything but I have never been a Dubnyk guy. His last 10 games are meaningless given the season was essentially lost from that point.

Oh, agreed, if the question is will he be an Oiler next year. Not a chance in hell.

40. Pablo Aimar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Pull your strawman back in the closet.

Honestly people really need to stop saying mean things about the Oilers. Sure their record is pathetic and they have been the biggest joke in all pro sports since 2007 and they are getting blown out again tonight but there are lots of good things. The GM is smart, the coach Obviously knows what he is doing and the core is awesome. Good times are inevitable.

42. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

No not really a straw man argument , I’m saying they are a bad team that has I’ll give you played decent hockey against non playoff teams. Teams that don’t forecheck the Oilers will have problems with them. Unfortunately all playoff teams do forecheck.

43. Ice Sage says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If the past predicted the future, then Grant Fuhr would have the shutout tonight. Players peak and decline and I’ll contend that DD is in that dwindling phase. It happens – see Legace, M, Potvin, F, Lalime, P… oh you know what I mean.
    Now do Oilers ‘management’ keep chasing bad money with good here? DD is not part of the future, MacT tipped his hand with the Schneider foray (oh, to dream) so what’s to defend? The verdict is in, this is not the #1 of the future.
    One solution: Oil should target Anaheim and give to get Gibson, especially if the Ducks come close this year and need a Pronger-like boost to go over the top and dominate Cali (yes I mean one of the core).

44. hunter1909 says:

Since when does a 29th place team have the nerve to make endless cute back passes the way these assholes constantly attempt, at any area of the ice no matter what the situation?

I’m starting to think this is going to turn out to be the 1st millennial team, ever. Entitled, lame, lol.

45. hunter1909 says:

They just spent the last 45 seconds skating up and down the boards with the puck, occasionally passing to another player along the same boards. wtf loll

46. Rondo says:

Ice Sage,

“For those who don’t play the game, there’s nothing more gutting to a player busting his ass than bad goaltending – it gets to a point where there’s learned helplessness and that little voice says ‘what’s the point in trying?’ This is a cancer that will consume this generation of wonderful talent if not addressed.”

100% agree with you.

47. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909,

The only thing sadder is those of us still watching ;-)

48. Andy P says:

That was game 29 of the grace period. 1 more to go, then no more excuses.

49. hunter1909 says:

Ice Sage:
    hunter1909,

The only thing sadder is those of us still watching

I always wanted to be a California Golden Seals fan. I’m living the dream.

50. Fixall with Rexall says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Pull your strawman back in the closet.

No. This is just a bad team without the variables and excuses. They haven’t played well tonight. A shift here and a shift there of possession and control isn’t something to give credit to. It’s something we should expect. Its supposed to happen.

Dubs looks terrible again.
    That power play is embarrassing.

Other than Arco and Perron there has been little to cheer for. We are a bad team because we are a bad team.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pablo Aimar: Honestly people really need to stop saying mean things about the Oilers. Sure their record is pathetic and they have been the biggest joke in all pro sports since 2007and they are getting blown out again tonight but there are lots of good things. The GM is smart, the coach Obviously knows what he is doing and the core is awesome. Good times are inevitable.

That’s probably what I said.

52. hunter1909 says:

Andy P:
    That was game 29 of the grace period. 1 more to go, then no more excuses.

53. D says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I don’t think this is fair. In fact it is silly.

I was one of Dub’s earliest fans when I saw the Oilers play live in Los Angeles a few years ago and Dubnyk stoned the Kings. But the argument has been validly made that Dubnyk will play “solid” games when it doesn’t matter. My sentiments may be silly (and I agree that I can be that way many times), but I truly believe the Oilers could have won tonight if Bryz was in net.

54. VanOil says:

godot10:

I counter your Oligarch with one Drug Czar about to do business in a Pirate Ship under the Jolly Roger that some one else paid for.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

No not really a straw man argument , I’m saying they are a bad team that has I’ll give you played decent hockey against non playoff teams.Teams that don’t forecheckthe Oilers will have problems with them. Unfortunatelyall playoff teams do forecheck.

You are creating phantoms of the people you are arguing with. They know this is a bad team. They are only saying, hey… this team is playing well tonight and have recently.

That’s a real thing. If you put no stock in shot metrics, well… ok, then, there’s not much to say but…
    arglebargle!

56. Nuckout says:

hunter1909:

The Oilers love sugary cute disgusting plays. The drop passes, Oh, those drop passes. Toe drags. Missed nets. Grebeshkov. Dubey’s “did I do that?” look after each goal. Will “The little engine that could” Acton, Taylor Hall’s slight resemblance to Justin Beiber. (ok, that one’s unfair)

Don’t forget about Jultz waving at the puck from a distance like that kid in minor hockey who was scared of getting hurt.

And Dallas “Boy, that was a close game” Eakins.

We’re the bad news fucking bears.

57. Andy P says:

hunter1909: I had that pegged at 20, so in my original universe they’re 9 games into the real world, but since it’s the oilers, I’m going to have to give them another 11 games until they hit the 40 game mark, then start getting ready for the 50 game mark, 60 etc. Then it’s springtime.

30 games wasn’t my idea though. I hooked onto it because it came from Stauffer, and as such suspect it may have to do with some internal timeline they gave themselves.

Here’s hoping.

58. OilBuzz says:

Lowetide: Agreed. I think you’re absolutely right.

I also think he’s absolutely gone.

He may post decent average numbers, but the crucial problem here is that he is completely un-trustable now. He is not a playoff goalie.

59. gcw_rocks says:

godot10,

“The problem with Kulikov is that Kulikov, Petry, and Justin Schultz all need new contracts, and you will be negotiating against a Russian oligarch for Kulikov.
    Kulikov can go make a fortune in Russia for two years, and then come back to the NHL to the team of his choice as a UFA, likely Brooklyn.”

At this point, the Oilers need to take some risks. The russian factor will likely depress his trade value. Do you offer Klefbom for him and see what Talon does? Kulikov has been on the market a while and no takers yet, so you never know.

I would also like to see the Oilers take a run at Simon Despres. He’s got 50 NHL games under his belt, is ripping up the AHL, and is blocked in Pittsburgh. Maybe in the new year the Oilers could send a veteran the Pens way and pick up Despres.

60. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: But, they’ve played well tonight and have done over the last 6 games or so. This is a deeply, uneven team, but that doesn’t make the reality of their strong play vanish. Just as their strong play doesn’t make this sv% catastrophe vanish.

- The problem here is that they played well for all but 5 minutes of ES time. During those 5 minutes, it was a fucking clown show out there.

(Note: what is commonly referred to as the Benny Hill theme is actually “Yakety Sax”. And yes, it fits perfectly).

- Prior to the back breaker goal (the one that made it 4-2), two Oilers were surrounding but not actually retrieving an uncontested puck in the d zone, and one of them yelled “Time” to Jones, who finally went and got it. As soon as I heard “Time”, I thought “Oh fuck, it’s going to end up in our net.” And ten clown show seconds later …

I do not think there is a team in this league that is better than the Oilers at turning a safe, low pressure situation into a dangerous chance or goal against. 5 minutes, 15 chances, 5 goals against. Unbelievable.

- One thing I will say is that Phoenix gave the Oilers a clinic on how they *should* be playing. Beat the other team to the puck. Win puck battles. When you get a moment of open ice, shoot the puck and go hard to the net. The only one who seems to understand this is Perron.

- Man, what a clutch and grab fest out there. How many uncalled penalties? Forty? But … oh yeah, the NHL Coyotes.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ice Sage: If the past predicted the future, then Grant Fuhr would have the shutout tonight.

This is an absurd interpretation of anything anyone ever said.

Ice Sage: Players peak and decline and I’ll contend that DD is in that dwindling phase.

Prove it.

Prove that it is common for goalies, absent injury or age, to experience sudden, impactful and career-ending shuttering of performance levels.

62. G Money says:

hunter1909: Then it’s springtime.

For the Oilers, it’s already spring time.

63. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

“That was more or less inevitable by the time MacT picked up the phone to inquire on Schneids.
    But… more than his uneven play, I’m just really baffled by the entire year of Goalie throughout the organization. Nothing has gone according to plan. Nothing.”

That’s karma saying “Fuck you” for keeping Lowe and hiring MacT and the rest of the old boys club.

This team is gonna suck until there is a full house cleaning.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

D: I was one of Dub’s earliest fans when I saw the Oilers play live in Los Angeles a few years ago and Dubnyk stoned the Kings.But the argument has been validly made that Dubnyk will play “solid” games when it doesn’t matter.My sentiments may be silly (and I agree that I can be that way many times), but I truly believe the Oilers could have won tonight if Bryz was in net.

For me, the culprits tonight included Gagner and Petry

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, some hot lady with heavy lip gloss just approached the Oiler mic… no audio over the livefeed… I’m guessing she ordered a pizza… or probably said Eakins will be a minute… still… not a bad way to end the game… hot lady!

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

This team is gonna suck until there is a full house cleaning.

Want to trade voodoo dolls at recess?

68. Rondo says:

At the rate Oilers are going they will lose 50 games this year. What young player would want to go Edmonton. I seriously believe if Hall played for Tippett for his whole career he would be a lock for the Olympics .

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, the Frenchman had a tidy 83.3%CF (15CF, 3CA); Yak the same (though I’m not sure he was very productive)

Arco is an NHL player.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins: “that’s as bad as I’ve seen 3-4 of our defensemen play”

71. RexLibris says:

sooooo, yeah. That really sucked.

Missed the game and ended up watching Anthony Bourdain in Libya.

I think I made the right call.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins is saying Arco had an off game… I keep waiting for him to say “surprise… he’s great!”

nope. He just ripped Arco in public. I’m flabbergasted.

73. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Eakins: “that’s as bad as I’ve seen 3-4 of our defensemen play”

Great, now fire Steve Smith because he hasn’t been able to turn any of our defensive players into actual defensive players. Do we really want him tutoring Klefbom and Marincin when they arrive here sometime this season?

Romulus Apotheosis:

nope. He just ripped Arco in public. I’m flabbergasted.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I’ve not harped on this point before, but watching Petry, whom I believe to be a solid 2nd pairing defender entering the prime of his career, struggle and make simple mistakes this season, I am left with fewer and fewer options.

Eakins, prompted by Rishaug, was ready and willing to give Petry the old diss on his way out the door.

76. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

nope. He just ripped Arco in public. I’m flabbergasted.

Is he limiting it to saying he had an off game, though? Because there is the chance that he agrees with you but has high expectations and wants to push him to get there.

Or maybe he just has his mind made up and thinks Arcobello is a bust.

Maybe we could trade him for Backlund in a swap of coach’s scapegoats.

77. RexLibris says:

A friend asked me what I thought the outcome tonight would be.

I said 5-2 with a couple PP goals against and one or two for, that way we can start obsessing about the penalty kill, Dubnyk having another bad night, and freaking out about the offense. Oh, and I said Justin Schultz would get nailed by Hanzal and be out for shoulder surgery.

I was feeling bleak.

That being said, when I saw the final the first line that went through my head was Maxwell Smart: “missed it by that much”.

78. D says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You won’t get anyone to argue he played well tonight. You said he wasn’t an NHL goalie.

79. fifthcartel says:

When is it appropriate to start worrying about Gagner? Especially when his NTC kicks in next year..

80. Ice Sage says:

RexLibris:
    sooooo, yeah. That really sucked.

Missed the game and ended up watching Anthony Bourdain in Libya.

I think I made the right call.

Yeah, great call there – that’s an awesome episode. Parallels to the Oilers Khaddafian struggles couldn’t be lost on you, non? Our escape from drudgery and repeated disappointment remains a ‘part unknown’ for now..

81. Clay says:

Lowetide: He made a mistake on the (iirc) second goal, but he had an excellent game. Sideburns.

The mistake on the second goal was classic Petry. He skated in from the blue line, stood in front of the net, and not once did he take his eyes off the puck that was over on the side boards. Not once! They must not teach the “head on a swivel” thing in college hockey.

Anyway, Vrbata lesurely glides right down mainstreet for a tap in, and Petry is standing there with that look-to-the-rafter look. Again.

Arco was the farthest thing from the problem in this game.

82. RexLibris says:

Good news, everyone!

The Oilers have become the first team of the 2013-2014 season to reach the century mark in GA!

83. Nuckout says:

RexLibris,

All I heard from Eakins is “Dude, comeon. Arco’s like 120lbs soaking wet, and he gets tossed around like chow mein on Chinese new year. Yeah, I think he may have scored one or two… other than that, I want to punch him in his stupid face every time he talks. I can’t even remember why I brought that little clown show back up.”

Okay, THAT was overdramatic.

Seriously though, Eakins has high hopes for Arco, and he wants to push him harder. He sees he’s a smaller player and wants to give him the tools to survive. If Arco toughens up a bit, he could turn into a pesty type player. Perron 2.0, but smaller. Get some edge.

84. RexLibris says:

Ice Sage,

His Liberia and Syria episodes are terrific. Haven’t watched the Belgian Congo yet, but have it recorded for later.

And of course, for levity, there’s always the Romania episode.

While it is probably less-than-politic to compare a fan’s experience with their team to a citizen living under the tyrannical rule of a dissociative megalomaniac, I think there are some parallels to be drawn on a lighter note, certainly.

So, on another note…anyone think Eklad falls to #3 at the draft this year? ;)

85. Nuckout says:

D: Yes and I’ll stick by the comment. Dubnyk is Conklin-Racicot calibre, which is admittedly NHL, but really isn’t.

Dubnyk to the Wings at the deadline. Where mid-range streaky goalies go to die.

86. spoilers says:

I have not posted very often. But my sadness has compelled me.

I don’t understand why I am addicted to watching a team lose. A team that is no closer to the playoffs after 7.5 years of futility. What or whom do I have to sacrifice to get 2006 Chris Fucking Pronger back?
    Please tell me!

87. RexLibris says:

Nuckout,

Check out the histrionics in YYC about Hartley’s usage of Backlund and Baertschi. Change the names and you might not be far off.

That team is very close to flushing one or both out of their system because they don’t fit the mold of what Burke, and therefore by extension Feaster, now wants for the team.

Backlund is exactly the kind of 3rd line center the Oilers need, maybe even 2nd in a pinch. The kid drives play and is sound defensively.

88. RexLibris says:

spoilers:
    I have not posted very often. But my sadness has compelled me.

Please tell me!

89. Hammers says:

Turned the game of to watch Chicago Fire . Never done that before in 30+ years (I have left building early but that was when we where winning by 2 or 3 .) . But then again we got a deal with Rogers but who says the new arena will go through in january. Started out saying to my son our “D” suck then the goals started going in . Bad “D” ; Bad Goalie : First line look lost ; Eakins doesn’t have a clue ; What a joke . Sorry LT your show tomorrow has nothing good to talk about . So sad to be a fan in Edmonton Esks & Oil

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: So, on another note…anyone think Eklad falls to #3 at the draft this year?

Damn your eyes!!

No D in the top 15, 30 if you can help it!!!

Draisaitl!!

91. Ice Sage says:

Romulus Apotheosis: This is an absurd interpretation of anything anyone ever said.

Prove it.

.889 in 22 GP this season. Sample size big enough but I guess that happens all the time to elite level healthy 27 y.o. tenders. A reasonable comp was playing 200 feet down the ice. BTW, he let in 2 goals on as many shots.
    I think there’s consensus here that DD’s days as an Oiler are numbered. We’ll see if he gets another NHL contract somewhere – it won’t be as a starter.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: We’re starting a support group. We’ll meet Wednesday nights. Coffee is provided, rotating snack schedule, and you can partner with a mentor when you sign up.

Partner him/her with spoiler. Singular can mentor plural.

93. Henry says:

For me, the culprits tonight included Gagner and Petry

Yup. Gagner covering the sixth row of the crowd while Ribero stands alone to shoot. Sam is skating much better than he was but damn for such a smart guy when is he ever going to identify his responsibility?

Petry got walked on good plays in open ice. Not good but more forgiveable.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ice Sage: .889 in 22 GP this season.Sample size big enough but I guess that happens all the time to elite level healthy 27 y.o. tenders.A reasonable comp was playing 200 feet down the ice.BTW, he let in 2 goals on as many shots.
    I think there’s consensus here that DD’s days as an Oiler are numbered.We’ll see if he gets another NHL contract somewhere – it won’t be as a starter.

Who the hell claimed Dubnyk was “elite level”?

If Dubnyk has indeed fallen into an unrecoverable depth, he’ll be a rare thing indeed.

That has nothing to do with him being or not being elite or a starter or an Oiler.

95. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

nope. He just ripped Arco in public. I’m flabbergasted.

That shit is ridiculous. Rip the defense fine but Arco was not the problem.

Coach. You have 3 wins in twelve ! home games. Identify the real problems.

Tony LaRussa said with equal talent Felipe Alou wins every time. With lesser talent he wins a lot too.

Same could be said for Tippett. You got outcoached hotshot.

96. Nuckout says:

RexLibris,

They both have similar stats last year, but Backlund, as a top 6 center on the Flames, could easily transition into Acton or Gags spot in the lineup. Backlund-Yak-Perron. or even Backlund-Joensuu-Jones. Backlund *could* be an instant upgrade in the bottom 6.

97. RexLibris says:

Nuckout,

Recognizing that an upgrade in our bottom six is a low bar to begin with…

Backlund can move up and down the rotation, so to speak, and while he cannot himself create offense, I’d much rather have him centering my 2nd line than Gagner.

Acquiring him for 2C would allow, hypothetically, the Oilers to trade Gagner for Coburn or, heaven help us, Erhoff. See what I’ve done now? I’m giddy and delusional with the prospect of moving this roster in the right direction.

I’d better sit down and rest until the feeling passes.

98. bookje says:

I was at the game, and the goal-tending was bad, but it was nowhere as bad as what the defence core served up. I think if you want to rank the defence and Dubnyk from worst to best, Dubnyk may have been the best.

Yes, if Dubnyk makes those saves, maybe the Oilers win, but the if the defense plays like a bad NHL defence as opposed to a bad AHL defence, maybe the Oilers win. If MacT actually had improved the defence over the summer, maybe Dubnyk has an ok year thus far.

99. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Damn your eyes!!

No D in the top 15, 30 if you can help it!!!

Draisaitl!!

No, I think the Oilers trade their pick for Erhoff, then use a pick probably acquired at the deadline in a UFA deal (Hemsky or some other UFA sell-off) on someone like Draisatl (knock on wood that he’s available).

That being said, do we really need another speedy, skilled winger? And when did we cross into the twilight zone where that was a question worth considering?

Ugh, this team is becoming like a carnival ride – let me off, I’m feeling queasy.

100. bookje says:

I honestly don’t know what to think anymore.

101. Nostradumbass says:

..Anyways isn’t it time for Lowe, MacT and the orange bloods to find a new patsy for this mess

I mean anyday now they are going to realize they are sans a heatshield right now aren’t they?

Darcy Regier in newly minted role President Manager?

Do they get over their bashfulness and admit Messier works for the team now and wait for it…he’s General Director and MacT and Lowe are just advisors

It’s like that movie Eastern Promises where Armin Mueller gets Viggio Morgentsen inducted into the Russian Mob with full tattoo regatta just so he can be sacrificed as a stand in for his son to some other mob assassins

It’s coming..don’t take any quasi promotions Howson…if they can’t trace your bloodlines back to a support role on a mid eighties dynasty you’re in trouble

102. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I wish I had stopped watching the press conference at Miss Lip Gloss. Can we have her do all the press conferences until the Oilers win a dozen games.

103. VanOil says:

bookje: I didn’t watch Eakin’s press conference, but if he sees Arco as the problem, then WE got a problem.

I honestly don’t know what to think anymore.

Agreed

104. Nuckout says:

RexLibris,

I have to admire your sense of hope..

Good luck on Gagner garnering any trade value at the deadline, and as much as MacT is Mayor Adam West level crazy once in a while, he’s not going to trade away part of the “chosen ones” for a box of used practice socks. I don’t see Gags going anywhere save for a monumental breakdown.

Acton, however…. bye bye.

Oh right..the whole “dad” thing.

Never mind.

105. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Arco is an NHL player.

This is a fact.

Romulus Apotheosis:

nope. He just ripped Arco in public. I’m flabbergasted.

But this is more than a little concerning. wtf??

G Money: – The problem here is that they played well for all but 5 minutes of ES time. During those 5 minutes, it was a fucking clown show out there.

No disagreement from me on this. They gave up a boat load of high quality chances.

But isn’t this the kind of thing that young teams do? I know we’re all sick of them being young, but that doesn’t change the fact the core is still very young.

Prove it.

At age 27.

A decent career going off the rails for good in the late 20′s does happen now and again, but it is not common.

106. fuzzy muppet says:

Eakins has moved into full-blown shitty coach territory for me.

Arcobello and Perron have been the ONLY bright spots this season and Eakins is tossing one of them under the bus publicly.

The guy sure comes across as an egotistical jag-off that knows very little about how to handle people.

But “smart guy” MacT painted himself in a corner and pretty much has to keep him around. Lordy this team is awful. Just fucking dreadful

107. leadfarmer says:

The loss was on the defense more than the goalie. No one is tying up sticks. The opposing team has more players down low than the Oilers consistantly

108. russ99 says:

This group will never excel trying to play dump/trap/grab vs. the good dump/trap/grab teams, especially against a solid goalie who limits mistakes, which is the only way this group playing this system can score against that type of team.

Note to MacT, if you want a team of grinders, then get a team of grinders, stop trying to turn a team of thoroughbreds into grinders.

Who wants to bet that if things stay as they are and Eakins continues to refuse to adapt, along with the constant throwing of players under the bus publicly, Hall asks out before next season starts?

109. jp says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Eakins has moved into full-blown shitty coach territory for me.

I just got around to watching the presser. I believe he said “I hesitate to toss (Arcobello) under the bus completely”. Is Acton constantly whispering bad things in his ear? Was he busy watching the SJ vs Tor game? That characterization of Arcobello’s game last night is truly difficult to comprehend. Not good at all.

110. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    The loss was on the defense more than the goalie.No one is tying up sticks.The opposing team has more players down low than the Oilers consistantly

That is our team.

Did not watch the Game. watched all the highlights.

Goal 1: belov defends the puck down low.
    Ference chases the lost puck instead of holding his position in front of the net. both D chase the open man in front of the net.. knock Dubnyk out of position. A goal occurs. All defence.(terence)

Goal 2 D holds position petry’s man backdoors him. o chance for dubnyk.mPetry watching the puck. Not his man.

Goals 3 a deflection in front of the net to 5 hole. that will be saved 3 out of 5 times. It is considered high quality shot from in close.

Goal 4 J. schultz flubs pocession. Jones pressures down low and ignores his man.
    the other d side pressures his own man. who passes to the slot were jones man. is free to release an unchallenged shot on dubnyk. a shot that gets a goal 2 out of three times.

Goal 5 handle shot fom the slot high glove side top corner. that yields a goal 2 out 3 times.

So far i have seen 2 66% shots and 2 goals. what are the odds he faced at least 1 more 66% shot and saved it .getting the standard 2G out of 3.

Goal 6 slight rebound from saved perimeter shot. At the same time moss spun to disengage Belov. Moss fell down but the round fell to an open side position. A second phase shot into a open net scores about 90% like the vrbata back door.
    the goalie , Dman and forward all performed correctly. the 2nd phase shot that resulted was going to be a goal. that happens.

by cumulative totals these 6shots should get 4.5 goals every time.
    What about the other 27 shots.

Blaming the goalie!

We have 2 Dman who understands holding front net position. Belov, Petry. One is capable of doing it. Russias best.

111. Andy P says:

Just saw the presser, followed by the Arco goal.
    Seems to me that because Arco is Acton’s nemesis, he will have to play a flawless game to stay up, but Acton can be as awful as he is because Daddy looks after his boy regardless of the wellbeing of the team.

I say get rid of the Acton family, in fact clean out all 3 bozos (plus the player) install a competent set of assistants, and get a real NHL’er to replace Baby Acton

112. russ99 says:

Btw: anyone else notice the uncanny resemblence between Eakins making his faces behind the bench during games and The Governor on Walking Dead?

Only difference is Eakins has bigger hair and the Gov has an eyepatch. :)

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: Lots of blame to go around, those looking just at the goalie don’t get it. LaBarbara was a 0.954 goalie in his two games in the AHL, but also sucked in the Oilers net. Yes, a goalie at the top of his game keeps this team in more games, but a team playing horrendous defence makes most goalies look pretty terrible.

I buy this because it makes intuitive sense… d breakdowns lead to quality chances lead to more goals against.

And, I’m guessing in the singular event (an isolated play or game) this looks a lot more clear cut.

But… in the aggregate we know some things. We know that shot quality is a tricky subject that frustrates the data and may well be the product of wishful thinking. And, again, in the aggregate, we know that defensive systems (good/bad) don’t effect save percentage in a noticeable way.

So… While I’m happy to dole out blame near universally, Dubnyk has to wear this season’s weird funk. I say that as a guy that still thinks he’s an NHL goaltender and still thinks he’s a good bet, on a reasonable contract with another guy giving him a push.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Funny, because even as I was writing it the words “Cam Barker” kept echoing in my head.

Draisaitl is a center. and he’s big (6.02, 205 at 17). he actually isn’t described as especially fast… Button’s analysis: “Skating is good with much room to improve”

I’ll come around to the trade if Erhoff is the return. But as a general rule I don’t like trading top ten, possibly lottery picks.

If we end up with another 1st rounder (say in the top 15) my target is Barbashev (another big center with hands)

115. boxman says:

The times they are a changing. Last nights crowd at the game was even more disturbing than the Detroit game. The Oilers season ticket holders have had all passion and hope drained from them. As the arena emptied out 10 minutes early there was little anger but just quiet mumbling and head shaking. The players themselves , Perron excepted, played like they wanted out of town and were just running out the string until the year is over. The Coyotes would have had 15 goals if the men we left uncovered in the slot all night could shoot. In conclusion no effort, no passion and zero fun.
    If someone offers you free tickets take them as you were probably the 10 person they have asked and they are depressed beyond belief at that point. Then once they are in your possession quietly throw them out and wash your hands!!

« Older Comments