FLYERS AT OILERS, G41 13-14

Tonight would be a very good time for Dallas Eakins to unleash the Yak. He didn’t play much in Calgary last night, but did create—playing with skill last night probably means a point, certainly PP time would have been a good idea—and at some point this season, the rookie coach is going to need all of his bullets in order to crawl from the wreckage.

hemsky common

CORSI FOR PERCENTAGE, 5X5 CLOSE (FORWARDS)

1. Ales Hemsky 49%
  2. Ryan Smyth 48.3%
  3. Jordan Eberle 47.7%
  4. Sam Gagner 47.6%
  5. Taylor Hall 47.0%
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 46.9%
  7. Mark Arcobello 46.9%
  8. David Perron 45.9%
  9. Nail Yakupov 44.2%
  10. Jesse Joensuu 43.7%
  11. Boyd Gordon 43.0%
  12. Luke Gazdic 40.1%
  13. Ryan Jones 39.6%
  14. Anton Lander 33.8%

This is a nice set of numbers considering the gales of November. Eakins is starting to suss this out now, he’s riding Hemsky on the Gordon-Smyth line and then has Nuge-Hall-Perron firing on all pistons. The Gagner-Eberle duo needs a third, and to my eye Joensuu isn’t it. I’m a MacT guy, but for me don’t really see what Joensuu brings that Hartikainen didn’t—although in the first period of game one this season the Finn looked great. The obvious answer is to put Nail on that line, but the coach is hesitant to do it. I suspect this is part of the breaking down of Yakupov, and would respectfully suggest that giving him a Horcoff would do him a world of good.

CORSI FOR PERCENTAGE, 5X5 CLOSE (DEFENSEMEN)

1. Corey Potter 51.1%
  2. Jeff Petry 47.4%
  3. Andrew Ference 46.2%
  4. Anton Belov 45.9%
  5. Phil Larsen 44.9%
  6. Nick Schultz 44.6%
  7. Justin Schultz 43.6%
  8. Ladislav Smid 41.6%

Petry is damn near 50% when apart from Ference (and Smid) and works well with Belov although the coach has gone away from the tandem. The Schultz boys haven’t been good enough, and I’m beginning to wonder what young Justin’s contract will look like in the summer. To my eye, he’s costing himself millions. All of this is courtesy Extra Skater, and that’s a brilliant site.

One conclusion we can draw from these numbers: Eakins isn’t going to abide guys who can’t move the puck. Enjoy Nick Schultz while you can, I suspect that’s the last of them we’ll see until the book of Eakins is closed in Edmonton.

SECOND HALF

A loss tonight puts the Oilers at 13-25-3 (29points) at the conclusion of the season’s first half. Grim. However, I think it does offer us a chance to put some expectations on the second half of the year:

• Low bar: 17-17-7. That would put the 82-game total at 30-42-10 for 70 points.
  • Good bar: 21-16-4. That would put the 82-game total at 34-41-7 for 75 points.
  • High bar: 24-12-5. That would put the 82-game total at 37-37-8 for 82 points.

I don’t think the Oilers can look at a losing record in the second half of the season as a productive four months. Stop the bleeding. Oilers have played 18 at home and 22 on the road, so should get a little push there.

HISTORY IS WRONG

macleish1For some reason, I know not why, the Philadelphia Flyers of the Shero era are being framed incorrectly online and in hockey history discussions. They did intimidate, they did rely on the best goalie in history not named Dom Hasek, they certainly won more than they would have without Fred Shero’s innovations (notably short shifts and coverage).

However, the idea that the Flyers had no skill is batshit crazy. The 1974-75 team boasted the following offensive leaders:

flyers4MacLeish is nearly forgotten now, but was a brilliant player. Philadelphia’s two-year run as Stanley Cup champions was denied a third championship by Montreal, and the Habs rightly get much of the credit. However, an injury to MacLeish during the 1975-76 season had an enormous impact on the Flyers, and that little nugget is also long forgotten.

As for this version of the Flyers, well have a look at their players tonight. Chances are many of them will be on a new team next season, it is the way of Ed Snider.

298 Responses to "FLYERS AT OILERS, G41 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Hammers says:

I wouldn’t mind a few of them . The Schenn brothers , Cotourier , Simmonds , Coburn may all be available .

2. TheOtherJohn says:

I would put 17-17-7 as the good bar & 21-16-4 as a pretty optimistic bar.

Expect the low bar would be something like 14-22.-5

We have 13 games against the Pacific division to come and only 1 of those is against Calgary

MacLeish was an absolute beauty. A true game changer

3. icecastles says:

Eakins has said a number of times that given the fitness level of pro atheletes, there should be no reason teams can’t play the second of back-to-back games with the same energy and intensity as any other game. I suspect this is part of his learning curve as a rookie NHL coach who is still learning that he doesn’t know better in every instance: any historical analysis will tell you that, right or wrong, teams don’t win the second of back-to-back games as often as they win the first.

That said, last night was a low-tempo and controlled game, and not a very rough one. With the chaos that has been the Oilers, I’m more than happy to see them win the occasional boring game (though please god don’t let them turn into a Lemaire style team – I’d rather cheer for an entertaining team that loses than a winning team that puts me to sleep nightly).

All that said, I think there’s no reason the boys can’t win this one tonight. They should still have their legs, Bryz should have all the motivation he needs, and if they can find that magic combination of calm control and explosive offense that they seem to tease us with but never quite get a handle on, LT’s high bar finish might even be possible. Maybe.

4. Ryan says:

My wife caught me with a silly smirk on my face this morning while reading this fine blog.

I tried to explain to her that Allan thinks that Eakins needs to give Yakupov a Horcoff and it didn’t go over very well.

I posted this about the “breaking down Yak” thing yesterday:

I disagree that its a “break him down to build him up”

I think its more of a “you must be the best option to get the ice time”

I have no problem with that as gifting kids ice time without defensive accountability is why Eakins is having to teach this team basic defence. Teaching this to players in the 4th-7th years of their NHL career.

That being said, I agree with you in that I do not see how Joensuu is a better option than Yak without the puck and we all know who’s better with it.

Joensuu looks slow and late to the play both on offense and defence.

He doesn’t look slow like Penner (and most big men) looked slow.

Penner looked plodding but was in the right place at the right time more than often, but Joensuu isn’t near that level.

His 2 year contract is a bit of a concern, but with Jones, Eager, and MacIntyre coming off the books it shouldn’t be too much of a millstone. If Joensuu can improve his foot speed it would help immensely.

As for the PP, Eakins needs someone to look him in the eye and say “You had a PP with 5 forwards killing it at a 50% rate. 50%!!! You can give up the odd shortie if you are scoring every second chance”

The funny thing is that when Eakins went away from the 5 forwards the shorties didn’t stop.

For a guy who looks at the percentages, Eakins seems a little too afraid to really stick with what works on the PP and focuses too much on bad.

Also,

Speaking of percentages, even with the shutout DD shouldn’t start.

Tyler lays its all out here: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6472

You give up 0.010 in SV% by going back to back and you just can afford to do that when a better option exists.

Add to that the “Bryz getting up to play his old team” and Bryz should be the slam dunk starter.

6. ScottyB says:

I would go with something possibly between the low bar and mid-bar. I mean, let’s just assume that the Oilers beat Tampa, Calgary, Carolina, Buffalo, New Jersey: that would be around ten wins (but some of those games are on the road, so BIG assumption). And they go .500 against Phoenix, Nashville, Minnesota, Dallas (not much evidence to make me hopeful of that right now: .350 would probably be more likely) you would be looking at, in this best case scenario 14-15 wins. That would mean then, that they would have to scrape out a few wins against Chicago, LA, Anaheim, San Jose which is possible, but we have yet to see much evidence thus far that the Oilers can get points against these teams.

Wins against the Flames just tease, it’s when we have to suffer the Pac Div games where you can see the deficiencies of this team so plainly.

7. Ryan says:

Open question to the nerd herd here, but is there a better stat for dissecting a team (pretender vs. contender) than the cumulative 5v5 FF%?

What a beautiful stat… with a few exceptions you’re either above 50% and playoff bound or below 50% and rebuilding.

8. hockeyguy10 says:

Scott Oake @ScottOake 2m
    Dallas Eakins is with Kelly and me on Aft Hrs tonight. Celebrate the New Yr by having your question asked on HNIC!#Afterhours

9. Andy P says:

icecastles,

“I’d rather cheer for an entertaining team that loses than a winning team that puts me to sleep nightly).”

As for me, I’ll take any win over any loss.

10. sliderule says:

One minute I think they ate going to trade Yak then the next minute I think if they were to do that wouldn’t they showcase him.
    Speaking of showcasing if Marincin draws in tonite and plays decent could there be trade action with flyers.
    If Yak gets pp time be very afraid.

hockeyguy10:
    Scott Oake @ScottOake2m

Music!

12. ASkoreyko says:

hockeyguy10:
    Scott Oake @ScottOake2m

13. hockeyguy10 says:

After Hours has become a must watch for me.

14. mumbai max says:

Draw your own conclusions

Interesting stuff.

41 point season pace for first 20

78 point season pace for next 20

Be nice to see a 92pt pace or so over the next 20

thejonrmcleod:
    Not sure if anyone saw this goal by Oilers’ prospect Adam Muir.

Thanks for that.

Pretty awesome work by him not to give up.

ASkoreyko: Now is your chance Woodguy! Perhaps we should form a concerted effort here on LT to come up with one or two questions that we want asked. Then everyone sends them to Oake and hopefully one of them makes it through.

I think we should all text:

“Why did you break up the 5 forward powerplay when it scored 50% of the time”

A few thousand of these might get it asked.

Gogogogogogogogogogogogogo!!!!!

18. Ryan says:

mumbai max,

Just looking at your splits, it’s clear that the shot differential hasn’t improved, so the improved goal differential and win/loss column are probably driven by improved goaltending.

mumbai max:
    First 20 games

WL OTPt GFGA GD SFSASD

4 14210 4878-30556603 -47

Second 20 games

W L OTPtGFGA GD SF SASD

91011952 59-7586631 -45

Draw your own conclusions

First 20 games SH 8.5% SV .870%

2nd 20 games SH 8.87% SV .906%

Goaltending is everything.

20. mumbai max says:

Ryan:
    mumbai max,

I agree. It shows {maybe) that Q1 was not actually so bad. Given decent goaltending, they would probably have 38 points now.

21. justDOit says:

Woodguy: I think we should all text:

“Why did you break up the 5 forward powerplay when it scored 50% of the time”

A few thousand of these might get it asked.

Gogogogogogogogogogogogogo!!!!!

And here’s your answer: http://i.imgur.com/ylMeMrn.gif

justDOit: And here’s your answer: http://i.imgur.com/ylMeMrn.gif

Someone needs to edit that gif so lasers are coming out of his eyes.

Or fire.

Or sharks.

Or sharks on fire with lasers on their head.

23. icecastles says:

Andy P: As for me, I’ll take any win over any loss.

If that were true, we would all just cheer for whatever the top ranked team happens to be.

I’m not saying I’m fine with losses or that I’m entertained by blowouts. Of course if a team is exciting and entertaining, they’re not likely to be blown out in the first place. But I watch hockey to be entertained. My career does not depend on it and my sense of self worth sure as hell doesn’t depend on it. Winning for the sake of winning, as it were, places the cart before the horse, in my mind. It is akin to the notion of putting the fattest guy in the world in net, icing 5 defensemen at all times, and guaranteeing at least an overtime loss every night and a minimum .500 record.

Hyperbole obviously, but the point is that one of the reasons I love teams like Edmonton or players like Hall and Yak (or Hemsky, for those here who love him) is that their style is energetic and a bit risky. They implode sometimes and make plays that seem boneheaded, but it is with the intention of driving play, making something happen, and not being passive.

I’d rather see Hemsky and Hall try crazy-ass moves that get me on the edge of my seat than seeign Minnesota sleepwalk their way to another win where you don’t remember a single individual play five minutes after the game is over.

That’s just me and I know its not for everyone, but I love a bit of edge and a bit of risk in sports. Otherwise, it’s watching darts.

24. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

I get scared just watching it once. Can’t imagine having my soul pierced by those hawk eyes for much longer.

25. justDOit says:

icecastles,

I’m with you in spirit, although when the losses pile up my convictions start to falter.

My cousin, who lives for the Flames, hates my little saying: “I’d rather watch the Oilers lose than the Flames win.”

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 4s

Eakins confirms that Marincin will play tonight. Potter (groin) is out. Bryzgalov starts.

27. bookje says:

justDOit: And here’s your answer: http://i.imgur.com/ylMeMrn.gif

Honestly, can someone please assure me that this is a different guy. I worry that one day he is going to bring a chainsaw to practice.

28. bookje says:

Woodguy: I think we should all text:

“Why did you break up the 5 forward powerplay when it scored 50% of the time”

A few thousand of these might get it asked.

Gogogogogogogogogogogogogo!!!!!

This blog could certainly muster a few hundred if we really did it. In other words, we could Colbert him.

LT use your power here, its time to draw upon Lowetide Nation here. Evoke the masses to send the texts and twitters to Scott Oake.

Next week, the three for one trade.

29. steveb12344 says:

sliderule:
    Speaking of showcasing if Marincin draws in tonite and plays decent could therebe trade action with flyers.
    If Yak gets pp time be very afraid.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m
    Yakupov will be back on the #Oilers power play tonight, Coach Eakins says. “He’s earned that right again.”

Well there you have it.

Marincin is in, and Yak back on the PP.

30. bookje says:

I think I meant invoke and even then its probably the wrong word.

31. justDOit says:

bookje,

Incite?

32. Ryan says:

Woodguy: First 20 games SH 8.5%SV .870%

2nd 20 games SH 8.87% SV .906%

Goaltending is everything.

Except if your team is from Chicago.

The Blackhawks are #1 in team +/- and #1 in the NHL despite having the 5th worst team save percentage

33. vesci says:

Woodguy: First 20 games SH 8.5%SV .870%

2nd 20 games SH 8.87% SV .906%

Goaltending is everything.

It is and .906 isn’t anything to write home about either.

34. Ryan says:

vesci: It is and .906 isn’t anything to write home about either.

Ben Bishop is posting some ridiculous numbers on a Tampa Bay team not known for team defense.

.935 sv% and 1.93 GAA… That’s too bad the Bishop deal didn’t work out for us in the past.

35. TheOtherJohn says:

Second 20 games our wins are against Calgary twice (14th), Columbus twice (9th), Florida (13th) Nash ((13th), Dallas (10th), Winnipeg(12th), Carolina(11th) bracketed numbers are each teams conference standings

We have a better record against the worse teams in each conference and the 2nd 20 game segment has on on track for 78 points

36. TheOtherJohn says:

Some very tough games coming right up

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Now I understand why Canada picks average goaltenders who “win” games… They want to keep us entertained.

38. Lucinius says:

Slepyshev with an assist so far today.

39. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m streaming the game, so I’m not sure of where everyone else is, but if the first two shooters aren’t Hudon and Drouin, this won’t turn out well.

40. Lucinius says:

And Yakimov with a powerplay goal (kind of soft, but he had a nice release).

41. justDOit says:

Brutal. Just brutal.

Edit: HOW do you not pick Hudon in the SO? Who was that 2nd shooter?

I promised not to go ape doodle on the team selection this year, so excuse me for a few minutes while I step outside.

43. Bar_Qu says:

Interesting article here, plus it “quotes” some names we are familiar with.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Brutal. Just brutal.

Edit: HOW do you not pick Hudon in the SO? Who was that 2nd shooter?

Druin, Petan, McDavid

45. justDOit says:

Take your time.

46. Big Dan says:

I am stoked about this game tonight. This is a major opportunity. For most of the season, I’ve dreaded the games. The last time they played Philly, the Flyers played really well, spanked the Oilers, and turned their season around.

This is a statement game for the Oilers. The win over the Flame game was huge. It’s because the Oilers won ugly. The reason they always lost to the Kings, Blues, Wild of the world is this: the Oilers were not allowed to play their game. They’re easy to beat. Play physical, don’t give them much room, and wait for them to make a mistake.

The Chicago’s and Detroit’s of the world are proud of the fact they can beat you whatever way you want to play. Whether it’s freewheeling, boring/ grindy, rough… If Edmonton ever wants to be competitive, they need to take the mentality that they’re good enough to beat other teams at their own game. And I’ve noticed lately that they are winning puck battles and working hard. Just dumb mistakes attributable to youth end up in their net.

Not every team is like Carolina or Winnipeg where they’ll let the Oilers skate. Dubnyk got a SHUTOUT. When a goalie that bad doesn’t allow a goal, you know you’ve done the job defensively – I don’t care if it was the crappy Flames; Dubnyk’s good for at least 1-2 weak goals per night.

Those nights of pressing for a goal and then watching the other team score on a defensive lapse were so frustrating. Are they getting it? The attention to detail? We’ll see tonight. If they win (I predict a shootout), it could mean them turning the corner.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Paterson with an .8276% today.

Jarry and Comrie wondering why they miss their chance as HC refuses to acknowledge the world of information available to them.

48. iHockeyWpg says:

Anyone have a link to world juniors live stream? Some games available on nhl.com with American IP address. Thanks

Ryan: Except if your team is from Chicago.

That’s true.

CHI is 24th in the NHL 5v5 (all) with a .915

Shows how bad the Crawford contract is.

Luckily for them, they dominate in every other category.

Kinda like the 80′s Oilers. Fuhr was a good goalie, but not near the best, but they scored to make up for it.

Intersting that CHI’s PDO is still 1012 with a league 3rd 9.7% 5v5 SH%

50. OilClog says:

So Nurse wouldn’t help team canada?

Harsh

51. Lucinius says:

Canada screwing up the team selection is so predictable. Happens every year at every level of Hockey Canada. Its one of the reasons I’m not bothering to watch the team this World Juniors. I just don’t see the point in watching a team that is badly put together and has no ‘draw’ to me as a fan outside of being Team Canada.

Instead, I’m watching Russia, which is proving to be the wiser decision.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

iHockeyWpg:
    Anyone have a link to world juniors live stream?Some games available on nhl.com with American IP address.Thanks

Let’s take this moment to reflect on this post again, written Dec 2nd.

Patterson isn’t even league average in the OHL.

Politics at Hockey Canada?

How else do you explain a less than average goalie being the #1 when there were 10+ better options?

Hockey Canada gets the CHL to ban foreign goalies in order to get more Canadian kids high level experience, then they still stick their heads up their asses in terms team selection.

Hockey Canada is a disgrace.

54. G Money says:

Ryan:

What a beautiful stat…with a few exceptions you’re either above 50% and playoff bound or below 50% and rebuilding.

After half the season is in the books, goal differential actually has the highest predictive value.

I’ve seen a couple of analyses that show this, I believe Tyler Dellow most recently, but don’t have any links for you off the top of my head.

Personally, I prefer to look at the trend of FF% and GD as well as the cumulative value.

- Signed, A Proud Member of the Nerd Herd

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ha! Struds doing the analysis!

So, is it “Yak-EE-mov” or Yak-i-mov?

56. Pretendergast says:

Tough loss for the kids, but I liked how sutter went ahead and sat mcdavid after ineffective and sometimes dumb plays (shot in the empty net). Then when the games on the line he gave mcdavid the chance to make him look like a genius coach. Accountability and a chance at redemption. I expect mcdavid to be hungry and fantastic next game.

57. bookje says:

I have mixed feelings, part of me hopes they lose so that they get over the smarter than everyone in the room selection process before the Olympics.

58. OilClog says:

The record of the Oilers over the last 20 games I’d say is realistically what they are. Middle of the pack. When those young guys get it figured out how to show up every shift, they’re going to be top tier. They can’t beat the established veteran teams, but best up on the teams that don’t have the skills. It will come.

With the cap going up, MacT can find his pieces without shipping out one of the 4 forwards. It’s not impossible and I’ll believe he will find a way to make it work.

Unless Gags can really pick up his sock, he’s the weak link by a wide margain. A bad GM will trade a better player to and hide Gags in the order. A good GM will ship Gags out and keep his better players.

Yakupov is going to be an absolute killer in a couple seasons, he’ll have goalies flinching, and defencemen looking over their shoulders everytime he’s on the ice. The kid is a beast. Everytime him and Hall are together on the ice it looks natural. Only a fool would ruin this 15yr marriage.

bookje:

Expecting a Leopard to change its spots overnight?

I know the teams are selected by different sets of people, but the overall philosophy is the same.

60. RexLibris says:

Leafs and Phaneuf close to signing an extension.

*breathes a sigh of relief*

61. VOR says:

I’d just like to point out that goaltending isn’t the Oilers only problem.

In the last 20 games the Oilers have played Devan Dubnyk has a save percentage of .911 and Brygalov .915 and together they are .912 and that is above league average. Woodguy, don’t know where you got your .906 but it isn’t right as far as I can tell. Over the last two games the Oilers have faced 616 shots and let in 562 according to NHL.com which is .912.

VOR:
    I’d just like to point out that goaltending isn’t the Oilers only problem.

Used the mumbai max’s numbers from his original post. 631 Shots against with 59 goals against.

W L OTPtGFGA GD SF SASD
    91011952 59-7586631 -45

Goaltending certainly isn’t the only problem, but in the first 20 games it was, by far, the biggest.

63. Clarkenstein says:

thejonrmcleod: Not sure if anyone saw this goal by Oilers’ prospect Adam Muir.http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24389198/video-oilers-prospect-aidan-muir-scores-incredible-goal-in-ushl

Fun goal by the kid!! I think we’ve also found an announcer worse than Jack Michaels.
    Oilers will struggle to play .333 hockey in an extremely tough Pacific Div.

64. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris:
    Leafs and Phaneuf close to signing an extension.

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Yeah, another top two d-man locked up that we have no hope of getting. What a relief. The pool is getting more shallow every week. Why d’ya think T.O. isn’t letting him get to free market.

Yakimov with a goal, slepyshev with an assist, I don’t think either player was especially rewarded with playing time today. Russians look their usual, insane skill.

66. Lucinius says:

Nice game by the Russians. Liked both Slepyshev and Yakimov’s efforts.

67. Lucinius says:

How do you mean? Slepyshev is on the top line, for example.

68. jb says:

sliderule:
    If Yak gets pp time be very afraid.

Why so certain they sell Yak at near rock bottom? Your either all about the media narraritives, or have 0 faith in the current management group.

I can agree that management changes need to happen from the top down, but we’re not going to see any flat out stupid moves from this point forward imo.

Kevin Lowe is invincible, and obviously has the assistant coaches set in stone. Katz is the one man that can change that.

I think that when Darryl Katz gets through his current divorce we’ll see a new man, and changes will come.

Lucinius:

How do you mean? Slepyshev is on the top line, for example.

I didn’t think they pushed the TOI for his line. Didn’t need to, but I wanted to see him score 400 goals.

70. icecastles says:

bookje: Honestly, can someone please assure me that this is a different guy.I worry that one day he is going to bring a chainsaw to practice.

No worries, Bookje. It’s actually this guy.

VOR,

That’s a lot of shots in 2 games.

Poor little corgis.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One nice thing about the lose is TSN can finally put the hagiography down on Sutter. It was getting really tiresome.

73. VOR says:

Woodguy,

74. G Money says:

VOR: 20 games. Still 562/616. Still .912. Still goaltending not the only problem. Over the last 20 games 12 occasions the Oilers got .920 or better goaltending but only won 8 of those games. No offence. Offence not goaltenders responsibility. It is simple really, no Corgis need to be stressed.

I think in those 8 games, the Corgis were very very stressed!

And no offence taken.

* Post-facto edit: It’s also worth pointing out that no one that I know on this blog or elsewhere has yet suggested that this team doesn’t have a *lot* of issues to deal with. But it has been said and I think it is true to say that the most overriding issue through the first 10 to 20 games was goaltending.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: One nice thing about the lose

You are an idiot.

76. sliderule says:

jb,

I actually have faith in Mact.It has been shaken by Smid trade which doesn’t make sense to me.

I fear that Lowe and his cronies are like a nagging wife who wants you to sell that hot red corvette.You don’t want to but you finally give in to shut her up.

77. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You are an idiot.

Haha, that gave me a good laugh.

78. sliderule says:

Reinhart seems to be the whole package.

Smart as a fox and a sweet passer with a quick release.

Defensively picks up a man and ties him up.

79. LostBoy says:

OilClog:

This. It’s rare to go from somewhere in the basement to the playoffs in one season. It happens (Colorado did it a few years ago, but it didn’t sustain and they haven’t been back since). But mostly there’s a transitional season. The second quarter record is within the range of reasonable expectations for this season (squeaking the playoffs was maybe at the outer high end of reasonable expectations before it began). The second half is important. Winning just a little more than they lose from here on out. maybe with a little spoiler run toward the end, puts them in fine shape for the future and gives MacTavish a stronger hand to make moves. If it plays out like that, I’ll be reasonably happy with the season, the early disaster notwithstanding.

80. Lucinius says:

oliveoilers,

Probably because of the deal being 7 years and 7 million per.

Personally, I’m not a huge Phaneuf fan so losing the chance to grab him during free agency doesn’t really bother me.

81. jp says:

Cool that Moroz has signed (http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697811&navid=DL|EDM|home).

I think there’s a good chance he’ll be playing with the Oilers in a few year. Hopefully he can be a useful depth player, even if his absolute ceiling is 3rd line.

82. art vandelay says:

I’d like Scott Oake to ask Eakins: “What`s it like working for a Mickey Mouse organization in the anus of North America, listening to and reading 400,00 armchair GMs trying to run the team?”

83. G Money says:

I believe that tonight will be a statement game for the Edmonton Oilers. They will make one of the following two statements:

“We are genuinely improving in the defensive aspect of our game, and that together with our raw talent will allow us over the last half of this season to clearly establish ourselves as a mid-pack team in the NHL”

or

“The defensive improvement to date has been an illusion, we cannot string two good defensive games together, and we will clearly demonstrate to ourselves and everyone else that we really are a bottom-tier team in the NHL”

Some data tidbits for fellow nerd herders:

Oiler 5×5 Close FF% through the first twenty games: 43.1%. Horrible numbers, and easily on par with the two worst teams in the league for shots, the Sabres and the Leafs.

Oiler 5×5 Close FF% through the last twenty games: 50.8%. This improvement occurred despite a more Western-Conference-heavy schedule in the second twenty games, including the recent 6-game Tour of Death. Good enough for mid-pack in the league, and on par +- 1% with the Wings, Ducks, Jets, Stars, Panthers, Senators, Wild, Coyotes, and Flyers.

Which team shows up tonight? The one that can play even up with good teams for a period or two, and beat up on lousy teams? And therefore should be on par or better with the Flyers? Or the pretender squad that put up 43.1% and will pull the chute after (or even before) the first period?

This is your chance, young men.

Make a statement, Oilers – and for your sake and ours, make it a good one.

84. Derek says:

art vandelay:

You really need to get laid Art.

85. oliveoilers says:

Lucinius:
    oliveoilers,

Probably because of the deal being 7 years and 7 million per.

Thing is, he may be the best of a bad bunch. And he would have been attainable without trading anybody. I’m not keen on him either, but he’s still better than ANYTHING we have until some prospects start maturing. Maybe T.O. have done their homework and looked in the crystal ball at who’s coming down the line as both prospects and UFA and went with better the devil you know.

86. Pouzar says:

Derek: You really need to get laid Art.

Comedic gold followed by comedic gold….well done gentlemen!

87. G Money says:

art vandelay:

Crowdsourcing the GM? Art, you’re a tech visionary!

88. sliderule says:

Marcinin in lineup.

Yakupov moves up in lineup and on power play

Oh Oh!

89. Ryan says:

G Money: 5v5 Close FF% starting about ten games in and through to about half the season has the highest correlation to end of season results (which I treat as predictive value).

- Signed, A Proud Member of the Nerd Herd

Thanks for that.

90. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You are an idiot.

You seem to be stuck in a lost-lost scenario.

91. bookje says:

Anyone know if there is a way to stream the Oilers game tonight on an Iphone or iPad. My mom is a big fan and is in the hospital without TV (ER so no TV). The game would help kill a few hours.

92. G Money says:

oliveoilers: Thing is, he may be the best of a bad bunch.And he would have been attainable without trading anybody.I’m not keen on him either, but he’s still better than ANYTHING we have until some prospects start maturing.Maybe T.O. have done their homework and looked in the crystal ball at who’s coming down the line as both prospects and UFA and went with better the devil you know.

The issue I have with Phaneuf – and I think this is the general sentiment of those who are leery of signing him – is that he will end up being paid like a #1 D but doesn’t really drive results like a #1 D. He’d improve the Oilers D, but not nearly enough. Tough to picture a Stanley Cup contender with Phaneuf soaking up 24 mins a night and $7M of cap room.

A quick dig through a few information sites suggests the likely UFA D shopping list for MacT (characteristics: UFA, 32 yrs or younger, has played most games and min 18 mins a night on current team, at least 200 lbs, not a Flame unless named Giordano) should be:

- Niskanen
    - Girardi
    - Hainsey
    - Gilbert (yeah, yeah, shut up)
    - Quincey
    - Ranger
    - Fayne

Not great stuff, but certainly getting pretty much any two of those guys, especially the first three, would be a substantial improvement.

You can laugh at me for the size thing, and I understand the need for competence more than size, but the Oilers can’t honestly afford to get smaller on D. They only average 195 lbs right now, and it’s a safe bet that this summer they’ll already be sending away two of their three 200+ lb guys in Potter and Nultz. Without those two, the average drops to 193 lbs. And that’s with Belov at 218 lbs. Without him, Ference, Jultz, and Petry average 190 lbs. If you want to look at a big part of the source of our troubles in the Western Conference, look no further.

93. oliveoilers says:

G Money: The issue I have with Phaneuf – and I think this is the general sentiment of those who are leery of signing him – is that he will end up being paid like a #1 D but doesn’t really drive results like a #1 D.He’d improve the Oilers D, but not nearly enough. Tough to picture a Stanley Cup contender with Phaneuf soaking up 24 mins a night and $7M of cap room.

- Niskanen
    - Girardi
    - Hainsey
    - Gilbert (yeah, yeah, shut up)
    - Quincey
    - Ranger
    - Fayne

You can laugh at me for the size thing, and I understand the need for competence more than size, but the Oilers can’t honestly afford to get smaller on D.They only average 195 lbs right now, and it’s a safe bet that this summer they’ll already be sending away two of their three 200+ lb guys in Potter and Nultz.Without those two, the average drops to 193 lbs.And that’s with Belov at 218 lbs.Without him, Ference, Jultz, and Petry average 190 lbs.If you want to look at a big part of the source of our troubles in the Western Conference, look no further.

94. G Money says:

oliveoilers: I like the top two! The rest are a bit same old, same old. Bets that the ex-Marlie ends up here? Last night, watching Giordano and his una-brow, I thought he’d be just what we need. Not that we’re ever getting him out of Cowtown.

Maybe if we convince Burke to implement Art‘s idea of crowdsourcing the GM, then we can stack the voting deck and trade Giordano and Backlund for Nultz and Acton. You know, like for like!

95. Ryan says:

Is it just a coincidence that the Flyers site has a picture of Eberle for their game day thread?

96. PDO says:

Also, LT, if you can delete that once Bookie replies to this thread that would be great.

97. Bruce McCurdy says:

sliderule: Ekblad looks real good but as he has the body of a mature man while playing with kids I don’t think it will transfer quite as good.Maybe Jack Johnson?

Ekblad’s hockey IQ is a good hundred points higher than Johnson. Which puts it at, what, 80?

98. Logan91 says:

No one talking about Moroz signing his ELC today??

99. bookje says:

PDO,

Done

PDO:

Done.

Logan91:
    No one talking about Moroz signing his ELC today??

102. boxman says:

Derek,

POUZAR says:
    December 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    Derek: You really need to get laid Art.
    Comedic gold followed by comedic gold….well done gentlemen!

It’s funny because it’s true. God speed art vandelay!

sliderule,

That’s my big fear with “Stay bad for Ekblad”

Even though he dominates junior, its still probably less than 50% he ever becomes a true top pairing NHL Dman.

Reminds me a lot of Bogosian actually.

Still will be a very good pro player, but everyone betting on him taking the Oilers to the promised land is betting thin.

I saw that Reinhart kid good today, but Ekblad looks like beast mode. In the commode for beast mode?

VOR:
    Woodguy,

I just did the last 20 games manually (no empty net goals counted, just shots on a goalie)

I got 545/596 = .914

Lowetide: I’ll have a post up later tonight or tomorrow. McCurdy has a terrific item at Cult of Hockey already. I’m really pleased for the young man.

Link to Bruce’s piece:

107. sliderule says:

Bruce McCurdy,

You are right Johnson looked like the whole package.Offense and size.However how do you measure hockey smarts at that age.
    He was a lot like Ekblad so big and strong he could overcome mistakes and a better skater.
    One thing Ekblad did that the oilers need bad is move people out from in front of net.He will play in nhl next year.
    If we are lucky enough to have Reinhart fall to us from what I have seen within two years he would be our best center.like LT says if he is there all day all day.

108. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers,

My relief is on account of the Oilers no longer being able to table an insane contract in another desperate whale hunt. Clarkson was a lucky dodge, same as the Heatley miss and the Vanek match. How many times are the Hockey Gods going to save this team from its own shortsightedness.

There are better options than Phaneuf for what ails this team, and his being available without the cost of NHL assets doesn’t mean he’s the right medicine.

Hey McCurdy,

You may be interested in the fact that David Warsofsky drew in the Bruin’s D tonight when Chara was scratched.

As you know he’s the player that went the other way in the Sobotka deal.

So, does havving both:

Warsofsky 5’9 170lbs
    Krug 5’9″ 181lbs

On the blue line in one game mean that we can’t call them Big Bad Bruins?

Krug came in and ate Warsofsky’s lunch in terms of the “small D with lots offence” spot on the Bruins.

Interesting that they were forced to play them both in a game.

B’s whole Dcorps tonight doesn’t exactly strike fear:

Bartowski
    Trotman
    Krug
    McQuaid
    Boychuck
    Warsofsky

I’d take the Oilers Dcorps over that.

110. sliderule says:

I was not happy with the way this pick was working out only because of boxes.

By eye he can skate and hit and has no fear.

However you have to be able to put some points up or your Luke.

This year he is showing that he can contribute offensively.

Good for him and oilers.

Whenever I think of short Bruins, I thnk of Johnny McKenzie. Passive fellow

Whenever I think of short Bruins, I thnk of Johnny McKenzie. Passive fellow

That’s an amazing picture.

113. RexLibris says:

Whenever I think of short Bruins, I thnk of Johnny McKenzie. Passive fellow

Great shot. Love to be that photographer.

How many games would Shanahan have given him for that, I wonder?

114. stephen sheps says:

is anyone watching the early game? Grapes was all over Yak for his “elbow” on Pavelec from Monday’s game and then even went back to ripping the celebration from last year. Adding to it was a tirade against the jersey thrower and admitting he doesn’t get along with Eakins. Unreal. Cherry needs to go. And quite frankly, if Eakins and Cherry don’t get along, that’s a point in Dallas’ favour as far as I’m concerned.

Also, I know it’s a few days late, but happy holidays to everyone! I likely would’ve posted sooner, but there seemed to be some disdain for Sociologists around these parts so I decided to stay away.

115. gvblackhawk says:

Anyone else catch Cherry’s trashing of Yakupov? He’s been sitting on that one since Monday. If only Yak was a good Canadian boy.

116. jp says:

Woodguy: Link to Bruce’s piece:

Nice article Bruce. I like the Moreau comp as his best case scenario.

If we forget about his draft position (which wasn’t his fault), we have an interesting prospect with a useful skill set. Hopefully he transitions to pro well.

sliderule:

I was not happy with the way this pick was working out only because of boxes.

By eye he can skate and hit and has no fear.

However you have to be able to put some points up or your Luke.

This year he is showing that he can contribute offensively.

Good for him and oilers.

Given that Moroz didn’t play an offensive role until his draft +2 year certainly skews his offensive projections.

I think a good comp might be Dwight King.

King had better offensive numbers in his draft and draft +1 years, but he was in an offensive spot on the Hurricanes.

118. RexLibris says:

Moroz’s first season he had a .37 ppg pace. Next year (draft +1) was .49. This year, draft +2, he’s looking at an even 1.00.

His PIMs have also consistently risen by about 15% year over year.

By all accounts he’s on pace to become an effective support player. One note of caution, if it took him three seasons to get on top of the junior game I would suggest we allow him at least that long in the pro ranks beginning next season. It may be less, but setting expectations at 3 years seems….reasonable.

Cherry hasn’t made any real sense for a decade and his comments on Euro’s are awful. About 10 minutes from where borje Salming lost his face to a skate, Don cherry rambles on about soft Euro’s.

Pathetic.

120. G Money says:

gvblackhawk:
    Anyone else catch Cherry’s trashing of Yakupov?He’s been sitting on that one since Monday.If only Yak was a good Canadian boy.

Hope Yak scores another Gordie Howe Yaktrick tonight and shoves it up Cherry’s withered old anus.

Dammit. First time I’ve ever posted something that made me throw up in my own mouth.

121. RexLibris says:

gvblackhawk:

RexLibris:

His PIMs have also consistently risen by about 15% year over year.

YOU’RE CRAZY! He’s already behind!

123. stephen sheps says:

G Money,

vile, but effective. A yaktrick would be fantastic.

125. sliderule says:

One surprising stat is 18 of Moros goals are at even strength .

Only three pp goals.

That is a very good thing.

126. bookje says:

Pathetic.

More pathetic is that he is still on TV.

127. jp says:

sliderule:
    One surprising statis 18 of Moros goals are at even strength .

Only three pp goals.

That is a very good thing.

Wow, that is impressive. Don’t have to worry about his PP production falling away in pro at least! You’re right though, that is a good thing.

128. Bruce McCurdy says:

Clearly Moroz’ lack of PP production is a major concern. What a brutal pick.

/~

129. Bruce McCurdy says:

Haha, Warsofsky scores! Gotta like it.

Btw, Woodguy, my earlier comment(s?) referencing him had absolutely nothing to do with him — indeed, I now almost nothing about the guy — and everything to do with how much I covet Vlad Sobotka.

130. gvblackhawk says:

RexLibris: Yakupov did that in response to the Jets’ trying to intimidate the OIlers and their heavy play to start the 2nd. His response was simple, in my opinion, “you target our guys I’m going to go after one of yours”.

You mean that now Yakupov is a 4th liner, he must summon his inner goon?

A Russian must have stolen Cherry’s first girlfriend. This went beyond analytical to a personal attack. He used his soapbox to call out Yakupov for that elbow on Pavelec, which pales in comparison to some of the intent-to-injure nonsense that has gone on around the league this season (by good Canadian boys). He even embarrassed himself further by bringing up the Yak Slide highlight again. Almost making it seem that he does that for every goal he scores.

I won a Don Cherry jacket a few years ago at a charity auction. If I was in Edmonton, you can guarantee that I would throw it on the ice after a Yakupov goal. Look for that in the future.

131. razor says:

bookje,

First time Don made me laugh out loud was tonight. Highly entertaining! Of course, probably not the way he intended.

132. Bruce McCurdy says:

If Bobby Schmautz pulled a stunt like Yak did, Cherry would be loving every second of it.

133. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: When I looked at Moroz after the draft and compared him to both Tom wilson and Lukas Sutter, the Oil King looked like the third of three. Not so much anymore.

What the hell happened to Lukas Sutter anyway?

As for Moroz looking after teammates, I submit this and especially this as Exhibits A and B. Same guy, both times. I’m not a huge fan of scraps, but that’s a case where buddy had it coming, and the sooner the better. That’s where being good enough at hockey to possibly be on the ice right when things happen is a good thing.

Bruce McCurdy:

THAT SCHMATZ HE’S A GAMER EH! PUTTING THE JETS OFF THEIR GAME!!!

Bruce McCurdy: What the hell happened to Lukas Sutter anyway?

As for Moroz looking after teammates, I submit this and especially this as Exhibits A and B. Same guy, both times. I’m not a huge fan of scraps, but that’s a case where buddy had it coming.

Quite the dirtbag move by Hart after the goal.

136. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy,

what a beautiful canadian boy, that bobby schmatz.

137. stephen sheps says:

Still blown away by the Cherry thing. It was absolutely absurd.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… Ott manages to finish the broadcast with 12 minutes to spare.

Take notes Big Stupid.

139. jp says:

Bruce McCurdy: What the hell happened to Lukas Sutter anyway?

Seems like nothing at all has happened to Sutter. Sadly he may have peaked at 18 (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=124044).

Swift and decisive responses there by Moroz. He’s certainly taking care of that part of his game.

140. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So… Ott manages to finish the broadcast with 12 minutes to spare.

Take notes Big Stupid.

no effin’ kidding-we always seem to get the shootout in Toronto and miss the puck drop

141. Brackenburied says:

Gerta Rauss: no effin’ kidding-we always get the shootout in Toronto and missing the puck drop

Plus a 20 minute tribute of some sort to start.

142. Derek says:

Someone trade for that Coburn RFN.

143. jp says:

Eberle for Coburn? Anyone?

144. gvblackhawk says:

Taylor Hall…what a beauty!

145. unca miltie says:

good thing we did not trade for Coburn

146. Gerta Rauss says:

Derek:
    Someone trade for that Coburn RFN.

Eberle and next years’ first..?

edit: #latetotheparty #betterbringyourfastballaroundhere

147. OilClog says:

Amazing! Hall for KING of the UNIVERSE!

148. gvblackhawk says:

jp:
    Eberle for Coburn? Anyone?

That was a nice giveaway by Coburn to Hall. Pass on that Eberle trade.

149. russ99 says:

Big Dan,

Ah but if we had elite offensive talent (which I’m not entirety sure we have), we wouldn’t need to lower ourselves to match the grind game of Calgary, Philly, etc. to be able to win.

I’m all for playing smart and playing a hardcore possession game at times when strategy calls for it, but your key offensive players should be relied upon to score goals at some point.

My question for Eakins: When is he going to take the reins off the offense?

Think back two years ago, when Renney was out after being hit by the puck – and the skill players were let loose to devastating effect under Krueger.

That’s what this team needs most of all. Playing Yakupov in situations where he can do something with that skill would be a good first step.

150. OilClog says:

Hopkins for GOD of the KING!

151. gvblackhawk says:

Oh Nuge. Nice move on that goal. Mason stunk the joint up on that shot, too.

152. boxman says:

I pity the Flyers!!

153. unca miltie says:

now streit..oh my

154. Danenbaum says:

Why, oh why, didn’t we trade for Coburn and sign Mark Streit for Ralph Kruger?

155. icecastles says:

I’m just gonna say it: For more than ten games now, the Oilers have not looked like a lottery team. Because they are not a lottery team. The roster moves, the coaching… it’s taking a while and it will continue to take a while. But this is a much, much better team than the mid-season standings suggest.

156. Suntory Hanzo says:

bookje,

No stream on iPad or phone.

NHL gamecentre is free app that tracks every play and has great up to moment stats. I use that before putting my 3 year old to bed which is usually after the first.

Great start, keep this going men! Curtis Hamilton scores in Oklahoma, a nice few minutes here.

158. boxman says:

sadly Curtis Hamilton is history. A few good moments won’t change that.

159. flyfish1168 says:

I wonder how Moroz and Chase is getting along at the Saddledome 4-2 Hitmen. Chase 1 assist.

160. Suntory Hanzo says:

Went to the okc heat game last night. Outshot the heat, but lost handily. Bachman looked frightenely bad. Pitlick and klefbomb looked decent. Defence were exposed for 5 alarm chances aplenty.

Gernat may be eventually liked to a Chara-lite, but more like the diet coke of Chara- just one calorie, not Chara enough. I know you can’t coach height, but I can’t see him being a factor for years.

Very clear there are no quality forwards on the barons.

161. GordM says:

Does Philly have the first Brazilian ice hockey player?

162. Brackenburied says:

GordM:
    Does Philly have the first Brazilian ice hockey player?

It’s a well kept secret that there are lots of Brazilians in the NHL.

163. GordM says:

If Rinaldo scores I want Rick Ball to belt out a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! call

164. rich says:

GordM:
    Decline!

I second that.

165. Nuckout says:

Brackenburied,

With names like Meszaros and Rinaldo, you’d think it was the Brazillian National Football team out there.

166. jp says:

GordM:
    Does Philly have the first Brazilian ice hockey player?

Regher was born there, was he not? Missionary parents or something.

167. gvblackhawk says:

The power play is disgusting to watch. Zone entries, puck movement, ability to get possession of loose pucks are all failures.

168. Derek says:

Yea. Few things in life are as infuriating as watching an Oiler PP. Llamas are the only thing that come to mind at the moment.

Flyers up 19-8 5×5 in that period.

170. Bruce McCurdy says:

As long as the powerplay continues to suck this bad, it’s an open invitation for the other guys to take liberties.

Honestly, it’s embarrassing to watch. Just pathetically inept.

171. Brackenburied says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Honestly, it’s embarrassing to watch. Just pathetically inept.

There is no precision or urgency. It boggles the mind.

172. Derek says:

Glen Healy highlighting the patented Nick Schultz pass into the forwards skates on the breakout.

173. Professor Q says:

I see what Cherry is saying about Hall and Duchene being very dynamic skaters and the only ones who can skate “like that”, however Duchene seems to have more balance and less sprawl than Hall. Still, very nice. Would be interesting to see them as a LW-C pair, maybe.

174. boxman says:

Holy shit!!!

175. gvblackhawk says:

The Oilers really want to give up a shorthanded goal…badly.

176. Professor Q says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Honestly, it’s embarrassing to watch. Just pathetically inept.

Even when Edmonton had a potent power play they were not deterring opponents from taking liberties…

177. rich says:

just incredible. This PP is completely inept. They are giving Philly the momentum.

178. flyfish1168 says:

Wow when will Sam learn or is eakins ever going to start to bench him.

179. Lucinius says:

Professor Q,

We’ve seen it before.

It didn’t work out well, largely because Duchene’s a puck hog. That and his zone entries with the puck (and most zone entries by his line will be with him having the puck) tended to mean Hall was either offside or well behind.

Hall and Duchene should never be on the same line ever again.

180. SK Oiler Fan says:

J Shultz is not an NHL defenceman

181. Lucinius says:

Ah… OIler powerplays.

182. Gerta Rauss says:

Bit of a clown show to start this 2nd period

Oilers are so bad in this second period it’s crazy. I don’t think they can tie their shoes.

184. Lucinius says:

I don’t think they could use velcro at the moment without accidentally killing someone.

185. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

TV timeout couldn’t have come at a better time

186. GordM says:

Oilers PP looks like the Keystone Cops and then Philly quickly shows them how it’s done.

Let’s ask Bruce what he thinks about Duchene?

I remember watching the 2006 Playoff run DVD the Oilers sent to season ticket holders. There’s a scene in there where Craig Simpson is drawing out the PP setup in the video and you can see Pronger (who’s facial expression is basically saying ‘shut up you idiot’). Do we know if Buchberger runs the PP setup? If so…I have the same facial expression.

187. rich says:

This has to rank right there with the worst periods of the season.

Absolutely brutal.

Coming back w/Gagner’s line after the goal against and he’s still puck staring is just abysmal.

Coach should make them skate suicides in the break.

Brutal.

188. gvblackhawk says:

This is third period vs St.Louis bad.

189. flyfish1168 says:

Lucinius: Ah… OIler powerplays.How it hasn’t led to someone getting fired and players benched is a true mystery. And the media basically gives the coaching staff a free pass on it.

I so agree with you. It seems people are willing to give this coaching staff a pass. With natural progression you would think these young players would be better. So with Ralph I believe we would be better with one year more year under his belt. But we will never know now. But we can compare records at 48 games.

190. Nuckout says:

I hate to say this, but maybe a Gazdic shit storm might just be the thing to turn this debacle around.

Hack the bone.

191. SK Oiler Fan says:

Not sure what’s worse: Oilers D or the between play music. I suppose the Tier 1 fans like Mony Mony?
    Unbelievable scoring chances given up in 10 min. Just wow

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    Anyone know if there is a way to stream the Oilers game tonight on an Iphone or iPad.My mom is a big fan and is in the hospital without TV (ER so no TV).The game would help kill a few hours.

I don’t know if you are still looking… but CBC live streams all their games online for free in HD:

193. pboy says:

MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!! Whoever is in charge of playing this, needs to be shot. Probably the same asshole who runs the PP.

2-2, Flyers dominating this game and the Oilers look ghastly. Again.

195. SK Oiler Fan says:

Holy F what is J Shultz doing on the PK? put Hemsky back on D or something. Anything but him on defence

196. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well this is a horrible game by the Oilers.

Aside from the two collapses by the Flyers and some lovely finish by the talent… Bryz is the only Oiler playing remotely well… the one everyone says is the problem… because Galaxy.

Newer Comments »