FLYERS AT OILERS, G41 13-14

Tonight would be a very good time for Dallas Eakins to unleash the Yak. He didn’t play much in Calgary last night, but did create—playing with skill last night probably means a point, certainly PP time would have been a good idea—and at some point this season, the rookie coach is going to need all of his bullets in order to crawl from the wreckage.

hemsky common

CORSI FOR PERCENTAGE, 5X5 CLOSE (FORWARDS)

1. Ales Hemsky 49%
  2. Ryan Smyth 48.3%
  3. Jordan Eberle 47.7%
  4. Sam Gagner 47.6%
  5. Taylor Hall 47.0%
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 46.9%
  7. Mark Arcobello 46.9%
  8. David Perron 45.9%
  9. Nail Yakupov 44.2%
  10. Jesse Joensuu 43.7%
  11. Boyd Gordon 43.0%
  12. Luke Gazdic 40.1%
  13. Ryan Jones 39.6%
  14. Anton Lander 33.8%

This is a nice set of numbers considering the gales of November. Eakins is starting to suss this out now, he’s riding Hemsky on the Gordon-Smyth line and then has Nuge-Hall-Perron firing on all pistons. The Gagner-Eberle duo needs a third, and to my eye Joensuu isn’t it. I’m a MacT guy, but for me don’t really see what Joensuu brings that Hartikainen didn’t—although in the first period of game one this season the Finn looked great. The obvious answer is to put Nail on that line, but the coach is hesitant to do it. I suspect this is part of the breaking down of Yakupov, and would respectfully suggest that giving him a Horcoff would do him a world of good.

CORSI FOR PERCENTAGE, 5X5 CLOSE (DEFENSEMEN)

1. Corey Potter 51.1%
  2. Jeff Petry 47.4%
  3. Andrew Ference 46.2%
  4. Anton Belov 45.9%
  5. Phil Larsen 44.9%
  6. Nick Schultz 44.6%
  7. Justin Schultz 43.6%
  8. Ladislav Smid 41.6%

Petry is damn near 50% when apart from Ference (and Smid) and works well with Belov although the coach has gone away from the tandem. The Schultz boys haven’t been good enough, and I’m beginning to wonder what young Justin’s contract will look like in the summer. To my eye, he’s costing himself millions. All of this is courtesy Extra Skater, and that’s a brilliant site.

One conclusion we can draw from these numbers: Eakins isn’t going to abide guys who can’t move the puck. Enjoy Nick Schultz while you can, I suspect that’s the last of them we’ll see until the book of Eakins is closed in Edmonton.

SECOND HALF

A loss tonight puts the Oilers at 13-25-3 (29points) at the conclusion of the season’s first half. Grim. However, I think it does offer us a chance to put some expectations on the second half of the year:

• Low bar: 17-17-7. That would put the 82-game total at 30-42-10 for 70 points.
  • Good bar: 21-16-4. That would put the 82-game total at 34-41-7 for 75 points.
  • High bar: 24-12-5. That would put the 82-game total at 37-37-8 for 82 points.

I don’t think the Oilers can look at a losing record in the second half of the season as a productive four months. Stop the bleeding. Oilers have played 18 at home and 22 on the road, so should get a little push there.

HISTORY IS WRONG

macleish1For some reason, I know not why, the Philadelphia Flyers of the Shero era are being framed incorrectly online and in hockey history discussions. They did intimidate, they did rely on the best goalie in history not named Dom Hasek, they certainly won more than they would have without Fred Shero’s innovations (notably short shifts and coverage).

However, the idea that the Flyers had no skill is batshit crazy. The 1974-75 team boasted the following offensive leaders:

flyers4MacLeish is nearly forgotten now, but was a brilliant player. Philadelphia’s two-year run as Stanley Cup champions was denied a third championship by Montreal, and the Habs rightly get much of the credit. However, an injury to MacLeish during the 1975-76 season had an enormous impact on the Flyers, and that little nugget is also long forgotten.

As for this version of the Flyers, well have a look at their players tonight. Chances are many of them will be on a new team next season, it is the way of Ed Snider.

298 Responses to "FLYERS AT OILERS, G41 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. GordM says:

Well…at least After Hours will be entertaining.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pboy:
    MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!!Whoever is in charge of playing this, needs to be shot. Probably the same asshole who runs the PP.

Bucky?

I could see him playing REO Speedwagon.

Eakins has to get this team to a consistent level. I’m on board with him as coach, and clearly there’s progress (no, really) but this game is a shambles.

4. flyfish1168 says:

Our powerplay vs flyers powerplay priceless

5. rich says:

Nice to see the coach chew them out on the bench because they deserved it. This is exactly why their record is what it is right now. With the exception of Bryz, they are just absolutely brutal. No push back, staring at pucks, bad giveaways. This is on the players.

6. leadfarmer says:

I would not be upset if none of these defenseman came back next year. Schultz Jr should just become a winger. Schultz Sr needs to be put out to pasture. Ferrence’s shot makes Kurtis Foster look like a sniper. Petry is lost without Smid

Curtis Hamilton has 5 shots along with the goal tonight. Maybe he’s feeling a little better.

8. Bruce McCurdy says:

What a Gord-awful period of hockey.

Bruce McCurdy:
    What a Gord-awful period of hockey.

yes indeed. I’ve cheered for a few expansion teams in my lifetime, that was an expansion team period. Except this team has more natural talent than any of those teams.

Combined.

If it isn’t talent and it isn’t exhaustion and it isn’t injury, there’s only one thing left. We’re too deep into the season for that new coach crap.

10. PREDICKTER says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a hockey team from the North Pole.

11. nez29 says:

Softest-period-ever.
    JSchulz is…not aggressive.
    Can’t believe Brzy is keeping this wretched pile of refuse in this one….
    and just what does Bucky and OwnGoal ever contribute during a timeout? How to fire the puck over the boards? How to lose a clutch fight?
    Bitterness is my dominant emotion these days.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

Do tell.

Maybe tomorrow morning’s blogpost..?

13. RexLibris says:

Not a good night for the Oil Kings and the Barons are down against the Heat.

On the plus side, Khaira scored and Moroz was only -1 in a 6-2 loss.

14. bookje says:

Gerta Rauss: Do tell.

Maybe tomorrow morning’s blogpost..?

Maybe the players think its corny to equate oneself with soldiers in combat so they all work very hard to not be the dressing room warrior of the game?

15. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje,

Yeah that’s it.

I’m pretty sure anyway.

16. Thiru says:

Meh. Bad period, but they showed in Calgary that they can play well with the lead. I think it was a combination of them running out of gas and perhaps being a little complacent. Credit to Philly as well — that PP was humming.

Another note: having guys like Schultz Sr around really makes things worse in the d-zone. There was a sequence where he had all kinds of time and options, and elected to pass it weakly behind the net to Petry, who suddenly had two (2!) Flyers on him. His only play was to ring it up the boards, where it was intercepted.

It’s tough to weather the storm when the D can’t make a good first decision.

17. jfry says:

i don’t think i’ve ever seen a team where the top two forwards in the Dzone just stand still, not moving their feet. there were times that period where hall and yakupov just stood still, no pace, no momentum — it’s the weirdest thing, and it’s obviously being taught to them. weird.

also, have you seen a team make soooooo many cross ice passes as standard issue? it’s like this team isn’t capable of making a ten foot pass — it’s gotta be at least 50 feet! i don’t get it.

would be really interesting to know what macT was trying to pull out of philly this summer.

also, is lander here to stay now?

18. RexLibris says:

Has Marincin been playing with Belov all night?

19. gvblackhawk says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Not sure what’s worse: Oilers D or the between play music. I suppose the Tier 1 fans like Mony Mony?
    Unbelievable scoring chances given up in 10 min. Just wow

Must be a friend of Katz who is in charge of the music — it is terrible and it never changes. They play the exact same song list every game at the Rex. The guy must just have an on/off button that he presses; the rest of the time he is napping.

Dallas Stars have the best hockey music going.

20. Professor Q says:

Steve Smith blames the power play. Does he take any credit for that? I didn’t see the interview…

21. RexLibris says:

jfry,

My guess is Lander will get sent down right before the Olympic break so he can continue to play, but otherwise I get the impression he’s here until he plays himself off the team.

22. SK Oiler Fan says:

Been watching alot of 24 7 and CH24 lately. After every period the coach obviously addresses the team. I’d consider Terrien, Carlyle, and obviously Babcock good coaches. When their teams have a bad period they really let the players know about it.
    After this much losing and so many bad periods what else Does Eakins have left to say? The players will naturally tune Eakins out. They’re sick of it being their fault even if they know this to be true. The players would never admit it in public, but that room must be toxic.
    MacT needs to get some help behind the bench and on the blue rfn before a core player explodes.

23. rich says:

Uh-oh. We have a PP.

24. jfry says:

OT, but where have people been setting their avatar pic? i can’t seem to find it in the admin. thanks

25. Andy P says:

Wow, I missed the first two periods and the pitchforks are out already!

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… why is “puck carrier/mover” 19 dumping the puck in on the PP?

27. flyfish1168 says:

I remember the 2007 draft the Oilers was looking at Jakub Voracek thinking Gagner would be gone by the time they picked 6th. I wonder how different it would have been if we did draft Jakub.

Jakub played 2007 in QMJHL Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 53 33 68 101

28. Professor Q says:

Oh…close plays there by Gagner…

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well… that ended a lot better than it started. (the pP)

30. "Steve Smith" says:

That was a better power play than the others. Also, punching myself in the testicles hurts less than third degree burns to my nipples.

Lander taking Joensuu’s spot? thank God and Greyhound.

32. SK Oiler Fan says:

gvblackhawk,

It’s embarrassing really. Maybe a team thus bad deserves the worst music and rink in the league. Been to Philly’s barn a few years back. Great tunes there. Hard rock mostly.

33. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168:

Jakub played 2007 in QMJHL Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 53 33 68 101

What could have been…

34. jfry says:

gotta think joensuu or some form of him stays on the oilers. you know, “truculence” or “meat” or “whatever they’re calling it these days, “heavy?”

is he taking jones’ spot?

35. RexLibris says:

Lander taking Joensuu’s spot? thank God and Greyhound.

This is a game I would have loved to have seen Pitlick in.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:
    That was a better power play than the others.Also, punching myself in the testicles hurts less than third degree burns to my nipples.

37. Thiru says:

If you don’t like Hemsky, you’re crazy. That guy has been competing for pucks and moving it in the right direction all night long.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

flyfish1168:

Jakub played 2007 in QMJHL Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 53 33 68 101

If you have time, check out Gare Joyces’ book Future Great and Heartbreaks-lots of background on Voracek. It’s a good read if you like that kind of stuff.

39. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: The Capitals nearly took Gagner over Alzner that year as McPhee really liked Gagner and started to say “from the London Knights” but caught himself in time.What could have been…

What is funny is Gagner best year was his rookie year and has been regressing offensively with bad Defensive play. Jakub just looks good.

Curtis Hamilton scores his 2nd of the night, +2, 6 shots and Neal Livingston tells me he’s done well on the PK, too. Let’s not go crazy, but that’s a nice line.

41. "Steve Smith" says:

Let’s hope this one’s not a naked roll around in a bunch of thumbtacks.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”,

No need for a hot tub, as it turns out.

43. flyfish1168 says:

Gerta Rauss,

I heard about this book. Unfortunately I have so many books on the go and so many I want to read. But a bad oiler game still makes me gravitate to it than the books I have on the must read list. But my patience is waning this year compared to the other bad years

44. jp says:

Kind Gords for a change? Still lots of time for it to be taken away I guess.

45. rich says:

Relief.

46. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Let’s hope this one’s not a naked roll around in a bunch of thumbtacks.

Wait, are we still talking about Jakub Voracek..?

47. SK Oiler Fan says:

Smid had about 10 Oiler own goals like that. Nice to see it go the other way for once.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lander taking Joensuu’s spot? thank God and Greyhound.

I don’t think he belongs in the top 6. Not close.

But, I’m not sure this is the game to chase him out of the rink. He’s looked ok to my eye and is 46.2% 5x5CF on a team that is currently 30% tonight

49. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss,

His When the Lights Went Out is good too. About the brawl in Piestany. Covers all the angles – the Swift Current Broncos, Fleury, officiating, the Russian experience and narrative that they never fought, even the draft that year. Very solid piece of work. Highly recommend it.

3×5 because Oilers. Honestly. I’m going to take up knitting.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bets on what Lowe was yelling about?

chicken? pearl onions? decorative pillows?

52. "Steve Smith" says:

I initially read that as “killing”. More proactive, if you ask me.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get one of those what-do-you-call-’ems from my kitchen drawer.

53. Professor Q says:

Of course…of course. Throw your stick in the air like you just don’t care? Commentators railing on Bryz…

54. flyfish1168 says:

3×5 because Oilers. Honestly. I’m going to take up knitting.

I going to start reading the pile of books I have staked Fu** these oilers game waste of time.

55. LMHF#1 says:

Andrew Ference is the worst veteran defensive defenseman I’ve seen in front of his own net.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

How on earth did Ryan score 30 last year?

57. RexLibris says:

3×5 because Oilers. Honestly. I’m going to take up knitting.

Get one of these and you should be fine.

58. "Steve Smith" says:

Friend of mine just posted a picture of his two-week-old in front of the TV on Facebook: “Little dude watching the Oilers game with Dad. Much like the Oilers, he shit his pants in the second period.”

59. Andy P says:

exciting hockey

60. RexLibris says:

Hamilton in the box for slashing and Baertschi ends the game.

61. RexLibris says:

Andy P:
    exiting hockey

Fixed

62. "Steve Smith" says:

I do not understand why Justin Schultz is out in the last minute of a tie game.

63. Andy P says:

1 Bettman point there.

64. RexLibris says:

I have some friends who are going to be in Tampa when the Flames play there. They’re working on getting seats right behind Hartley so they can jersey-bomb the television feed.

65. flyfish1168 says:

Last year Ralph used Yak on 4×4 play. He is a thoroughbred just like Hall can take it end to end with the extra space.

66. SK Oiler Fan says:

If the league ever went to full time 4 on 4 J Shultz would contribute to winning more games than they lose.

67. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168,

68. Andy P says:

So, they dominated the first, were pathetic in the 2nd, and pulled themselves together in the 3rd and OT?

69. RexLibris says:

Hall, RNH, and J. Schultz?

70. nez29 says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Ummm…dubious. He’d turn over the puck or do his traffic cone impression EVEN MORE!

71. Professor Q says:

Nice shootout goal by Eberle.

72. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: flyfish1168, Yakupov hasn’t gotten the hang of using all his linemates just yet. And most teams load up on him to force a turnover the way they used to do with Hall, so while I agree he’s got a lot of potential, he’s not there just yet.

I would take Yak over Eberle any day when Ebs has played over 18 minutes on back to back games. Yak has previous success with the extra space. eakins stubborn rookie coach making rookie mistakes with the use of his bench.

73. Professor Q says:

Well…at least a point, right? Aya…

74. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168: I would take Yak overEberle any day when Ebs has played over 18 minutes on back to back games. Yak has previous success with the extra space. eakins stubborn rookie coach making rookie use of bench.

75. RexLibris says:

Can’t say the Flyers didn’t deserve it.

76. Nuckout says:

Poor Bryz. You could see the look of fear in his eyes when Giroux was up. This one’s gotta hurt.

77. D says:

Why was Gagner on the shootout?

78. gr8one says:

Damn you and your white skates Perron!

On a serious note, and FWIW, if Taylor Hall had not of missed any games and maintained his current scoring pace he would be 5th overall in league scoring with 42 points.

Ridiculous shootout goal by Raffl. Ridiculous.

79. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: If we’re picking RWs to play 4 on 4. Hemsky is top of the class right now, in my opinion.

Agree best all around.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Getting a point out of this game is a complete gift.

That was a horrible game.

So… that brief x-mas trade hiatus is over…

81. crude says:

D:
    Why was Gagner on the shootout?

I think because he is quite good at them and his play is on the rise of late (to my eye).

But ya, I, like Mr. Burns, wouldn’t have put him against a left-handed goalie.

82. D says:

crude,

He used to be pretty good with it. But man, Eakins had a lot of other options.

83. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I do not understand why Justin Schultz is out in the last minute of a tie game.

Fitness

84. nez29 says:

D,

At least three better options, by the way….maybe they can run an ultramarathon to see who shoots next time.

85. bookje says:

3×5 because Oilers. Honestly. I’m going to take up knitting.

Great, can we debate the merits of the double loop thread through vs the single loop?

86. bookje says:

Tomorrow’s post has to be titled ‘The Coach’ , maybe with a question mark?

87. hags9k says:

88. Andy P says:

Did anyone else catch this slip by Dallas in the After Hours interview:
    “What we need is more experience and we’re getting that – pause – um – game by game…..”

89. flyfish1168 says:

hags9k: I just don’t connect with this guy. So arrogant, pretentious, and guarded. And of course the team is horrible. NEXT

hags9k,

I’m sure everyone on this blog knows I am not an eakins fan. He uses the word accountability so loosely that I question if he knows the meaning of the word. Commitment to defense he preaches and yet gagner and J-schultz game in and game out are cultrits on primary mistakes. Yet they are never held accountable. Well it starts at the top, if the coach is not accountable to what he is preaching and plays favorites I will not respect him. Like you NEXT.

90. gcw_rocks says:

No, really, this team is better. Eakins has them moving in the right direction. Last year we missed the lottery. Now we are right back in it. First overall baby, I can feel it.

Nothing like the Lowe, MacT, Eakins, trifecta to guarantee oiler fans will be glued to the lottery show. The draft is our Stanley Cup.

Fire them all to be safe.

91. Andy P says:

It seems to me that a deal has been done to bring in more experienced help, this season. I’ll leave it to the trade experts on this board to guess at which 2 might be coming our way in exchange for who the other way?
    .Nultz, and…………… and ………………for ………….. and …………….

92. icecastles says:

Arrogant
    You must hate a lot of highly successful people then. Arrogance is hardly a trait unique to Dallas Eakins among head coaches or successful executives. If you had said stubborn, you may have had a point.

Pretentious
    You’ve utterly lost me on this one. How is he pretentious? Unless you think people who sound intelligent automatically sound pretentious.

Guarded
    You’re right. He should throw guys under the bus like Quinn used to do.

How many coaches are we going to go through before people start to key in that it’s not the damn coach that’s the root of the problems here?

93. icecastles says:

Andy P:
    Did anyone else catch this slip by Dallas in the After Hours interview:

It sounded to me like he said exactly what he meant to. They need experience, and the only thing that gains you that is time.

People are looking really hard for reasons to hate the coach right now. And they’re finding some pretty silly ones.

94. icecastles says:

flyfish1168: Commitment to defense he preaches and yet gagner and J-schultz game in and game out are cultrits on primary mistakes. Yet they are never held accountable.

So you are proposing Eakins should personally take their shifts? Or be on the ice with them to grab their sticks?

Or are you suggesting that he bench them or reduce their ice time and replace them with that huge cadre of experienced and solid D-men the Oilers have hidden in the press box?

Come on, man. Are there are things to dislike about Eakins’ coaching style and decisions. But THESE are the things you guys are keying in on?

95. Pablo Aimar says:

gcw_rocks:
    No, really, this team is better.Eakins has them moving in the right direction.Last year we missed the lottery. Now we are right back in it.First overall baby, I can feel it.

Fire them all to be safe.

Yup, progress. Cannot be denied. Good arrows, straight to first overall. Its amazing what an awesome job Eakins has done.

96. Pablo Aimar says:

icecastles:

He certainly should, unless the “accountability” stuff is a bunch of bullshit that will be applied only on easy targets like Yakupov. Are you suggesting that Eakins lacks the fortitude to apply his vaunted standards across the board? Doesn’t bode well if that is the case.

97. "Steve Smith" says:

Pablo Aimar,

Oh dear.

98. hags9k says:

icecastles: A coach’s quality is determined by the common fan’s ability to ‘connect’ with him? That’s akin to Americans voting in the president they’d most like to ‘have a beer with’ rather than the most intelligent and capable candidate.

Arrogant

Pretentious

Guarded
    You’re right. He should throw guys under the bus like Quinn used to do.

Let me try to explain…It’s not his job to connect with fans like me but it is a coach’s job to improve the players and team and to win. A reminder, we are not winning.

Arrogant. Confident and a bit cocky is fine (especially if you are winning, we are not) but I think he just comes across like a douche. That’s just my opinion, who cares, but I worry he’s such an ass that it could be shared by some players in the room, and that would be a problem. Reminder again we are not winning.

Pretentious. He tries really hard to sound like the smartest, most intense hockey mind. I don’t like the way he speaks. There’s a big difference between sounding like you know how to do it, and knowing how to do it. He is about as genuine as a AAA Mcdonalds patty. Again, we are not winning.

Guarded. I can let him off the hook a bit here, all coaches need to remain guarded with the media and fans during the season, I get that. But cmon Oake on AH was just tossing him some grapefruits about the death stare etc, looking for a smile or a chuckle, but no, he stayed in grump character all the way. I just can’t imagine this guy has or ever had the room.

Well, he should be grumpy I guess. We are 13-24-4. 29th. The kids all but Nuge are regressing, and the special teams are a complete and total shambles. The goalie may have lost his career under his watch. He tries to install a new defensive system in a group that has never shown they could play a basic defence. The Stud Russian doesn’t know whether to shit or go blind out there. Turnovers everywhere. Hesitancy. Lack of emotion. Confidence in the sewer. Didn’t ever show up for a few games in while in pout mode. THEE most painful, depressing, hopeless piece of crap first half in team history.

If this is a good coach at work guys, I’d hate to see a bad one.

I am behind MacT, but think Eakins should be shown the door.

I wish I had the same good faith and patience with him as you and many others here. I applaud your loyalty to the crest and hope time proves me wrong! But I just don’t think this is the guy.

« Older Comments