GROWING UP

Dallas Eakins announced this morning that Roman Horak will draw in to the lineup against Phoenix Tuesday night, and that Nail Yakupov will sit. Let’s take these one at a time.

ABOUT NAIL

Nail Yakupov is going to be a great NHL player. I’ll bet you a 2-4 (one person only) he eventually scores 40 goals in a season. The kid loves to score goals, he owns a dynamite shot and he’s going to figure out the ‘less is more’ method sooner than later (he doesn’t have to stickhandle through the world, just pass the puck tape to tape and he can do that all day) and I’m pretty certain Craig MacTavish and Dallas Eakins aren’t going to fail him.

There are two problems as I see it:

1. The Oilers aren’t using him properly
  2. Nail either isn’t learning his lessons or refuses to apply them

So, what we have here is a failure to communicate. A public one, so that makes people uncomfortable but that’s all it is. The Oilers and their youth have been having these spats forever—Paul Coffey and Glen Sather never spoke the same language even though it was English—and it may or may not work out. The problem (explained beautifully by the coach) is the Oilers are at a point that they’re going to have to sit effective players to keep Yakupov in the lineup.

And they can’t afford to bleed anymore.

So, we’re here. Nail has promised to stop trying to stickhandle through the world and Dallas Eakins has promised to give him power-play time when he shows he can do what’s been asked of him. You may feel that’s unfair, but 30 years ago Nail would be at the terminal gates reading about Oklahoma’s Welcome Wagon. It’s about what it’s always been about: Survival. Dallas Eakins and Nail Yakupov need each other, and today had to happen sooner or later.

It’s part of learning, for both of them.

ABOUT ROMAN

horak scoutingI liked Horak in Calgary and do think he might be a “two-way winger” option for the Oilers. He’s young enough to have a career, and if he gets a chance to play with real skill then maybe he can throw in enough offense to hang with the gunners. That’s not the role I see him in, but starting there is fine.

For me, this is a “possible Pisani” on the way to the “Peca-Pisani” the Oilers need so badly. Eventually, I’d love to see him 3line with Gordon-Hemsky and it’s very important to get that role filled sometime before the end of the century. Surely we all remember the importance of a Pisani, and recent candidates (Petrell most recently) have been found wanting.

I don’t know that Roman Horak can fill that role, but his resume suggests he’s a candidate of some note. That’s more than Tambellini managed, and here’s hoping it works.

(Horak photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

98 Responses to "GROWING UP"

1. TheOtherJohn says:

No problem sitting Yak in favour of a more effective player. And that player is Roman Horak?…. who draws into the 2nd line? Horak is an undersized 22 year old scoring at .61 PPG in OKC. And he is a scoring forward not a defensive stopper like Pisani

No problem w a Plan but could we also hit the “reset” on the defensive shortcomings that are JSchultz and Sam Gagner?

If Horak is the answer, Oilers are asking the wrong question

2. Gret99zky says:

Eakins is a genius.

Maybe Yak can bolt to the KHL for a season or two while Eakins and MacT sort out their asses and elbows.

TheOtherJohn:

If Horak is the answer, Oilers are asking the wrong question

Neither of us know what Horak will be to this team, but there’s only one way to find out. As for Gagner and Justin Schultz, agree completely. If Arcobello was healthy tomorrow night, I would hope they would sit Gagner. And the next time they have more than 6 NHL defensemen, throw Schultz in the pressbox, it’ll probably do him a world of good.

Gret99zky:
    Eakins is a genius.

Yakupov is in year two of his entry level deal. the earliest he can fly is summer 2015, but that is an option available to him. I have faith he wants to be the best at the highest level, though.Yakupov doesn’t strike me as a quitter.

5. jb says:

All our young guys were gifted their icetime, now we have some forward depth and the almost rookie needs to earn his time. There’s nothing negative here except fan insecurities.

6. jfry says:

the yak think is a bit of a mystery:

1) why can’t the PP get him the puck in a shooting position. kovalchuk, stamkos, AO. they all get the biscuit in perfect position for their rocket one-timer. it’s amazing that this isn’t a priority.

2) how is yak supposed to learn to pass when he’s playing with gadzic. Gadzic can skate, but it’s frustrating watching him mishandle every pass yak sends him. it feels a bit unfair to criticize him for not passing when you play him with people who can’t take a pass.

the kid must be so frustrated right now. i really wish slepyshev and yakimov were ready to join the oil so it wouldn’t feel like yak’s on an island.

7. OilBuzz says:

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT. The season is LOST, let the kid develop! Eakins is clearly playing favourites, and I have zero respect for that. He’s never sat Gagner ffs. And remember when he threw Arcobello under the bus? Despite the flaws in Krueger’s systems, I’d rather have him than a coach that exudes arrogance and antagonizes constantly. Arrogance only works if you win hockey games, not when you’re a basement team.

8. bendelson says:

When I predicted Yak would struggle and end up on the 4th line it was b/c:

a) I agreed with WG and others that Hemsky would come out of camp flying and would get the early push leaving Yak as the odd man out in the top 6…
    b) I thought Oiler management would fail Yak by moving him up and down the lineup with no fixed line mates and no fixed plan – leaving him dangling in the wind so to speak.

Where I was wrong was in how I expected them to work through these issues quickly and not let this potential problem fester all season long… my mistake.

So what’s the plan today?

If the plan is get through this season, re-set and start again fresh next year with a slightly damaged Yak, then good luck with that Oilers. You have made it more difficult than it ever needed to be…

If the plan is to wait until the summer and dump him for 10 cents on the dollar then Oiler management has handled this situation perfectly (and are truly asinine).

Once Igor starts talking to the media again, the winds will be howling and management will be in full damage control and left scrambling once again…

This is a clusterfuck.

9. jb says:

I just can’t get over the fact that rational people think Yak’s feelings will be hurt and he’ll take off to Russia, rather than use this as motivation to become a better more well rounded player.

10. Space Dad says:

OilBuzz,

“Let the kid develop…” is a complex idea. Do you mean by that that Yak will develop simply by playing? Do you also mean that no development can occur if he sits?

What is the problem with Yak? is it in his ability? or is it in his head?

You can’t just play a guy and expect him to get better. The more Yak has played, the more he’s struggled. This will give him a break from the 4th line and give him a game to reset. Maybe this will serve as a break, out of which he can re-assert himself as a game-changer for this team.

I don’t really see how Yak’s missing 6-10 minutes of TOI is such an outrage.

11. Racki says:

I wouldn’t be upset to see Yak in Oklahoma a bit. Odds against him right now. Not scoring.. Wasn’t scoring before demotion … Sophomore jinx happens to many many players… He’s only 20…the team around him is crap…

Really wouldn’t hurt for him to get heavy ice time in OKC, IMHO.

12. Pablo Aimar says:

jb:

13. Racki says:

Pablo Aimar: Agreed. Its completely irrational to question Dallas Eakins; he has demonstrated quite clearly that he is a coaching genius. The teams progress this year is irrefutable evidence of that. When we look back a few years from now it will be clear that his addition to the organization was far more important than any of the 1st overalls. Yakupov, by comparison, is expendable.

You’re severely putting words in the other guy’s mouth. Anyways, if you think Yak is the first top pick to see a game from the press box, you are mistaken. It’s happening in Edmonton though, so it’s a monumental event.

14. Space Dad says:

I can’t get over how many fans rabidly hate Dallas Eakins and everything he does.

Seems like almost every decision is a “damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t” sort of thing.

Thing is, I have yet to hear a thoughtful argument against him, just a lot of “Eakins is an arrogant prick” noise. Mostly mindless hate. Did that many people really buy into the Krueger koolaid (a.k.a. never mention negatives, focus only on positives, disregard reality, and shy away from doing hard things)?

15. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

So… Yakupov is “grounded” for next game. Wow. Like that will cause big things to happen, right. The season is already been over for two months and Sire Eakins is making great strides again at the helm of this crackpot franchise. Just wow.
    Benched the kid twice before already. The Sun reported that the discussion between Sire Eakins and Yak “ended well”. I wonder how loud it got…
    At least this team makes it easy for betting online.
    Really wonder why Katz seems happy. Don’t owners make their real money in the playoffs after players are not paid??? Really wonder how Galchenyuk would fare in Edmonton if they would have drafted him…

16. rich says:

Assuming Yak is going to wait until the end of his ELC before bolting is not something I would make a bet on. Radulov left with a year to go on his ELC and Kovalchuk bolted NJ after playing 1 year of a long-term contract.

There might be an agreement between the NHL & KHL, but I would think that Yak’s agent and a whole lot of people will raise a big stink about the way the Oil are handling him if he decides to bolt early.

I’m not saying that Yak is right, or perfect or that he doesn’t have lessons to learn. When your +/- is among the worst in the league, you’ve got a lot to learn.

But while I support Eakins on most everything, there are two people I don’t like how he’s handled.

1. Gagner. He played 1 game on the 4th line as punishment for not being responsible defensively. That is BS. He’s been brutal in the defensive zone for 6 years and doesn’t get held responsible, doesn’t get near the treatment of Yak.

2. Yak. He plays him on the 4th line w/Lander and Gazdic – neither of whom know how to support the puck. Go back and re-watch the Philly and Calgary games. See the few times when the puck goes deep how Yak is all by himself on the puck and the other 2 forwards are no where close to the play to help him. This too is BS.

Nothing will surprise me moving forward, but saying that Yak or his agent would not try to leave given the way they “perceive” the coach has treated him is not something I’d make a bet on.

17. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

If I’m Ekblad or Sam Reinhart the very first thing I do once back in Canada from the WJC is to instruct my agent to make sure Edmonton does not draft me come June. To be dead sure.

18. Caramel Obvious says:

Space Dad:

This. 1000x this.

The psychologizing of Eakins is so bizarre. It’s one thing to disagree with his decisions. But the talk about arrogance is so strange. Like the body language talk concerning Hemsky it’s a word that says much more about the speaker than it does concerning the object of the word. The kind of loose talk people without moral character use as a substitute for thinking.

19. jake70 says:

Kypreos is reporting Kadri is available for trade. Maybe something is up?

20. stevezie says:

Ontario Oilers Fan,

If I was your agent I would explain the concept of leverage and how little of it you have.

Saying, “I won’t go to Edmonton” may be a tie-breaker for who Edmonton takes, but it would score other teams off as well.

That said, I can see the advantage of getting picked 7th instead of 2nd.

21. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

stevezie,

Good point of view. If you are one of those two kids would you like to be drafted by Edmonton yourself?
    I would try to “slump” a tad by February. Just to slide off the top 5, if you get my drift…

22. hags9k says:

Caramel Obvious,

Actually guys I think it has a lot to do with Eakins’ 13-24-4 record. There’s a lot of body language BS talk to be sure but it’s born of the on ice failures which are in plain sight.

23. justDOit says:

We got Hor’ks back! We got Hor’ks back!

24. cabbiesmacker says:

Ontario Oilers Fan:

If the Oilers are in a position to take Reinhart I am sooo dangling that pick under Cowgary’s nose for part of what gets Giordano here. Reinhart just fits there.

25. admiralmark says:

Eakins talked a lot in the preseason about accountability. And yet whenever he decides to send a message its sent to the Russian player. This is alienating behaviour plain and simple. What about Gagner:?! He has been as bad if not worse then Yak and with better line mates. Where is this cross the board accountability. Is anybody really gonna be surprised when he bolts back to the KHL? I’m not. And what has Eakins done this season that we can point at as progress? I can point to several things that are blatant regress. Who’s in charge of the PP? Who’s in charge of the PK? Time to clean house on these deadbeat asst coaches.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

Space Dad:

I don’t hate on the guy but I also don’t think he’s one iota better than the previous 2 in that seat.

As far as haters go?

Obviously he had something to say about Acton Jr and Hamilton being here…so there’s that.

Then the promises of how the Oilers would finish checks and be tougher to play against…so there’s that

Hacktavish wouldn’t have traded Smid without getting Eakins opinion I wouldn’t think …so there’s that

Yakupov situation….so theres a BIG that

Come to think of it I’m starting to wonder just what there is to LIKE about the guy. Not one damn thing he’s said has come to fruition.

THEN..if it isn’t him that’s the problem who IS the problem? All 23 players? No chance. Take your pick of Eakins or the Hack. Buck stops one of those two places.

27. jp says:

justDOit:
    Bryz’ new mask: http://i.imgur.com/JEEUP0w.jpg

28. cabbiesmacker says:

justDOit:
    Bryz’ new mask: http://i.imgur.com/JEEUP0w.jpg

Nice tribute to his kids. Looks like he took a tomato square on the beak.

29. cabbiesmacker says:

jp: Is that Taylor Hall trying to stop an empty netter on the side of Bryzgalov’s mask? That guys IS weird!

He let his kids draw the sides. The little goalie was from his 8 yr old son. Pretty cool I think and nothing weird about it.

I would have totally understood if he’d just adorned it with a large white flag and the words ” Get me the F outa here” on the back.

30. justDOit says:

jp,

It’s just his kid’s drawing, which I believe is meant to be Dad playing goal.

31. jp says:

cabbiesmacker,

justDOit,

The goalie is extremely skinny (for a goalie) and appears to have a 4 on his sweater. Brought back memories of Hall last year getting scored while already down 2 (3?) goals. Completely joking about it being weird, and agree it’s a cool mask and idea.

32. Bag of Pucks says:

justDOit:
    Bryz’ new mask: http://i.imgur.com/JEEUP0w.jpg

Inspired by his infamous news conference, I was hoping he’d go with a bear

It could’ve been the Cujo mask redux.

33. WeirsBeard says:

I no longer live in Edmonton and therefore no longer read the local papers. Have any of the Oiler beat writers reported from the locker room or practices on disconnects from Yakupov, or that he is missing things in practice?

34. justDOit says:

jp,

I only saw a small version of it before, but it does appear to have a 4 on the front. I wonder if his kid is 4 yrs old?

35. jp says:

hags9k:
    Caramel Obvious,

Actually guys I think it has a lot to do with Eakins’ 13-24-4 record.There’s a lot of body language BS talk to be sure but it’s born of the on ice failures which are in plain sight.

You’re certainly right it has to do with the record. But that record is due in large part to DD and LaBarbera. If the Oilers had gotten .915 goaltending on the season (which is quite average and what DD did for the 3 previous seasons) rather than .893 goaltending, they would have allowed 28 fewer goals.

28 fewer GA puts the GF-GA at 106-111, and the goal differential at -5 (16th overall and 10th in the West). That would have damn near everyone happy with the team showing clear progress but still on the outside of the playoffs in a tough Western Conf.

The on ice failures are in plain sight, but blaming Eakins for Dubnyk’s collapse misses a large part of the story. Put in this context, Dubnyk truly is the single biggest factor in the Oilers woes this season. As much hate as DD has gotten, he probably deserves more.

36. fifthcartel says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
    Seems to be more trade activity brewing around the Hurricanes. Could be an interesting night.

WeirsBeard:

No, nothing of that sort that I’ve read.

38. Clarkenstein says:

On one hand we have a minor league coach using minor league strategy with a young player. “If you don’t do EXACTLY as I say you’ll never get to the show, you are in the palm of my hand” But now it doesn’t work cause the kid is already in the show. So the coach figures other ways to “headfuck” him. Voila!! It’s working. The kid is “headfucked”! Doesn’t know whether to shit or go blind.
    On the other hand the kid is turning out to be all the things may people were afraid of. Use the #1 pick on a Russian is risky. Very risky. The predictions are coming true.
    This friends is your Edmonton Oilers. EVery fucking year.

39. DeadmanWaking says:

“Him and I have sorted out a few things,” Eakins explained. “It was a good conversation — at least it ended well. We have a definite plan moving forward.”

I’ve had a few of those difficult conversations that end well, with always the same plan for moving forward: gathering up my clothes. I guess that also covers difficult conversations that end badly.

It’s one of the weirdest things about the English language that the subject/object instinct breaks down in the presence of a simple conjunction.

The educated speaker learns somewhere along the way that it’s extremely colloquial to say “Me and him went down to the bayou.” First, there’s the etiquette of going first. Anyone straining to speak proper Latin isn’t going to slip up on a small point of etiquette and say “I and you bought some Slurpees.”

The thought process seems to end up like this:

Don’t put yourself first. Out comes “Him and”.

Then the brain goes “Don’t sound too colloquial.” Out comes the butt end of “You and I”.

By the time a person has two or three university degrees, the mistake of using objects for subjects is long cured. Even the awkward “He and I” rolls off the tongue to start a sentence, but this difficult whack-a-mole–seventeen years of butt-blisters in the making–then erupts as “decided to divide the work between she and I” in the middle of a complex thought.

It’s perhaps 0.2% of the population who can manage to speak consistently correct Latin. That’s what they never told us in primary school: correct English is not the English we actually speak, but the English that hews most closely to the dead Latin template. We shed all those nasty case markers, but we still like to pretend we didn’t.

Because rulers.

Q: Who got the swag?
    A: He and I–if an elision of “He and I got the swag.”

Q: Who was given all that stuff?
    A: Me and him–if an elision of “All that stuff was given to me and him.”
    A: He and I–if an elision of “He and I were given all that stuff.”

(Damned be the passive in which the recipient becomes the subject.)

The rule on word order appears to be: Don’t begin or end a sentence with “I” or “me” when you can make someone else more prominent. Or maybe it’s about just deserts.

Q: Who started the fire?
    A: The fire was started by me and her.

Q: Who rescued the cat?
    A: The cat was rescued by her and me.

I’ve always thought that linguists put too little weight on verbal elision. We speak in fragments all the time, leaving out the tedious and the mostly implied. However, along with elision comes ambiguity and often an undeserved rap on the knuckles.

Is your fragmentary response implying the previous statement as its front-matter? Then it can be correct to open your mouth with “Me and him”. [All that swag was given to] Me and him.

But then one spots the clueless expression and one realizes the implied portion fell flat, so one continues on “Me and him [... oh damn, the penny is failing to drop ...] were given all that swag.” Now you’ve totally buggered up the Latin, and since we hear this all day, it becomes a habit we can’t break. Maybe the problem is that there was a third person almost paying attention, who perked up at “swag” without having heard the formal preamble.

To really keep your socks clean, sometimes you need to sidestep the slippery pronouns.

Q: Who got all that swag?
    A: His royal highness and yours truly.

Now your grammar is correct no matter which side you snipped, as decided after the fact based on selective hearing around the communal Cheeto bowl. Notice how you’ve put the other person first, so your etiquette is fine, too.

Now, if his royal highness who harkens from the land of the nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, prepositional, and instrumental can manage to learn himself some north-south skating habits while sitting patiently in the press box–without chewing too many slippers or peeing on the welcome mat–we’ll all live happily ever after.

***

I just discovered that Finnish has not just six but fifteen distinct case markers–some fading in the modern language–but lacks gender and definite/indefinite articles. Has it ever been proven that these people aren’t just communicating via facial mime vaguely supplemented with jigsaw gutturals?

Maybe that’s why it’s so effective for the coach to just point to the blue paint.

“Oh, he speaks perfect deaf-mute Finnish. Message received. I’m not wearing those special pads, so he must want me to visit and pay my respects. Such an easy game, I tell everyone the whole time even though my hands and face are covered up–yes–though for some reason, no foreign person understands a word of Finnish until the gloves come off, then suddenly fluent–but I will skate inside their ears and practice them until their eyes bulge out, and they will know it’s such an easy language after all.”

40. Colieo87 says:

FLAMES ACQUIRE WESTGARTH FROM HURRICANES FOR NEMISZ

I always thought the Finns might be these guys

42. flyfish1168 says:

Don’t get me wrong. I would not doubt the next one out of town is Yak and not eakins. If you seen my other post I have always said I don’t doubt eakin’s philosophy. I have been watching hockey close to 50 years and defense wins games unless you a have the talent of the great 80′s Oilers.

Its his approach with players I question. In my industry he would not last because he doesn’t hold everyone to the same level. Everyone is equal. It does not matter if you are a veteran. Its what can you do for me today, because after I paid you we are square till the next paycheck. You cannot live in the past tomorrow is another day. If you consistently make the same mistake in my industry like Gagner does in hockey, it means you have used up your usefulness and you are a slow learner. Your words mean alot. Another point is you use your assets how they are meant to be. You can’t change people 180 degrees. I see Hall, Eberle, J-Schultz , Yak and RNH offensive growth stunted this year and there defense not really better(maybe except RNH).

Taylor Hall on HNIC comments how it takes games and game time to gain experience. Lost season bad or good coaching doesn’t matter, just play Yak and show him his +/- after. Even the other kids there +/- is not great but their bread and butter is the PP and it stinks. I believe it is close to the time we have to question his coaching. Has great philosophy but can’t coach it, no shame in that.

Like I have been harping at the 48 games we can compare. The most important stats are win/loss, goals for /against and where we are in the standing. All those other stats have less meaning in its parts vs as a whole

43. Lucinius says:

Sitting Yak makes no sense, imo. Yes, he’s struggling. I don’t, however, see him being even in the top three problems for the Oilers. The absolute refusal of Eakins to punish anyone else among the forwards for their shoddy play is yet another example of horrific coaching.

Unless, of course, I missed him benching Gagner, for example. Did I miss that?

Wait, no, most often he got rewarded with more ice time/powerplay time.

I don’t believe Eakins should be fired (because I believe a coach should get at least one or two years, but hey.. they already screwed Krueger over!) but he does not inspire confidence. He talks a good game, but he doesn’t seem to know how to do anything else.

Honestly, I’m glad. The sooner this team blows up the better. Let the kids and solid players like Hemsky escape to elsewhere while this organization remains mired in a labyrinth of stupidity and no thread. I’m pretty much no longer a fan of the Oilers and merely a fan of a number of the players on the team. The sooner they are no longer on this team and I can stop watching it, the better.

44. sliderule says:

The oilers are devaluing their assets.Like isles did with Neidereiter and Bruins did with Seguin.

Yakupov is not a complete player.Yakupov has a Dad who is aggressive and got his sons agent to intervene.

The oilers knew this before they drafted him.Get his Dad and agent in a room and tell them both to piss off.

Instead we have the death by a thousand drips water torture which is going to end bad for the oilers.

45. jb says:

Yak is being treated very similiar to Tarasenko in St.Louis… I see no difference except for how the fans are reacting. Go read all the Blues threads panicking about ruining Tarasenko on the 3rd line. Both guys have huge potential, and both guys are currently stuck behind better players. Let go of the drama already.

DeadmanWaking,

Q: Who started the fire?
    A: The fire was started by me and her.

This is incorrect.

We didn’t’ start the fire.

It was always burning, since the world’s been turning.

Also,

With all the “a” “i” “n” and “k” in the language its less German guttural with its fricatives and trills and more of voiceless consonants and rhythm.

You should never argue with a crazy mama ma ma ma

You aught to know by now

47. Derek says:

Those quirky Russians, always bolting to the KHL. Never screwing, riveting, or fusing to the KHL. Just Bolting.

Bolt Bolt Bolt.

48. hags9k says:

jp,

That’s reasonable but I would just say let’s remember he is DD’s coach too…

Derek:
    Those quirky Russians, always bolting to the KHL.Never screwing, riveting, or fusing to the KHL.Just Bolting.

Bolt Bolt Bolt.

It’s 1972 all over again. That summer, guys were ‘jumping’ to the WHA all the time. Never a ‘move’ or a ‘advanced’ and nary a ‘transfer’ because every damn one of them jumped.

50. Genjutsu says:

The idea that someone would purposely “slide” from 1 to 6 in the draft is ridiculous.

Its insane. NO ONE would ever think of doing it. pride aside, there are 6 million reasons why it will never even contemplated.

6 000 000.

51. Gret99zky says:

This team is one or two injuries from having a worse second half than first.

And against the big teams in the West it will happen. Any of the top six. Any of the top 4 dmen.

Then we can say injuries were the reason for the poor play and sub .500 second half.

Not the coaching, not the PP, not the PK not the 5×5, not the arrows or the corgis. Injuries.

I cannot see any way this team wins 17 games the rest of the way. None.

52. Gret99zky says:

jb: If you think Scotty Bowman could have come in this season and led us into the playoffs as is, your delusional. No team in the NHL is making the playoffs with our goaltending and defense, it’s that simple. After you accept the state of our D and G, you can argue about the depth on the 4th line or overall balance in the top 6 (cough 2c cough)

This implies Scotty Bowman would do nothing but stand on the bench wearing a suit rather than coaching his players during practice, matching lines, and making in-game adjustments. Bowman was an exceptional coach.

Based on his experience and results I am led to believe SB would do considerable more for this team and its players than Dallas Eakins is/has.

53. hunter1909 says:

Lucinius: Sitting Yak makes no sense, imo.

When you examine the entire body of managerial results collectively from Kevin Lowe, MacT, Howson, Bucky, Steve Smith etc (as any non-oiler fan/journalist rightfully does) you will discover a decade or more of totally stupid drafting, development, name your poison.

This season there have been several ‘Team Lowe’ style fuck ups.

I’m not particularly following the oilers right now, so don’t care what they do with Yak other than if they manage to turn him into Rob Schremp 2.0 I’ll know where to point the knife.

flyfish1168: The most important stats are win/loss, goals for /against and where we are in the standing. All those other stats have less meaning in its parts vs as a whole

That’s why posters on this board gush re stats more than any other fans in the known dimension. I’ll stick with the above comment re oilers management playing an enormous hand in everything wrong with the current cavalcade of fancy Dans – who the fuck else has been in charge since 2000?

Looks like J. Schultz is getting his career destroyed along with Yaks; which for some reason escapes everyone. Score this as a minor victory(win) for Kevin Lowe, who hates controversy.

jb: No team in the NHL is making the playoffs with our goaltending and defense, it’s that simple. After you accept the state of our D and G, you can argue about the depth on the 4th line or overall balance in the top 6 (cough 2c cough)

Of course management are considered free from scrutiny. They’ve just announced another re-setting of their timetable.

Lowetide: It’s 1972 all over again.

That’s it. Too many people still think they’re involved in a Cold War with Russia in 2013, and until it’s re-started or they’re sent to Western Civilization’s gulag(nursing home), they’re going to remain out of touch with reality…

If you were to compare say, St Petersburg(Russia) with Edmonton(Canada) it’s not looking good for the chuck, believe me.

54. "Steve Smith" says:

You know what was a great thread? This one.

55. hunter1909 says:

Oilers don’t get the benefit of doubt. They’re simply a shite NHL hockey franchise, probably the very worst since the 1990′s.

So they’re fucking up Yaks, but does anyone in management care? Get real! They’re building a Canadian drugs baron his very own billion dollar Tower of Babel with taxpayers money.

I don’t think I’ve seen more than 5-10 minutes a game for 2 weeks, and barely pay attention because it’s all over, lol.

Props to the brave who remain discussing the price of fish on Lowetide.

Happy New Year from my liver.

“Steve Smith”:
    You know what was a great thread?This one.

That was a great thread.

I said this in that thread:

To list out the 5v4 SF/60 by year:

11/12 44.5 -24th in NHL
    12/13 41.5 – 29th in NHL
    13/14 51.5 – 18th in NHL

Man the Krueger year was just a disaster on all fronts.

Also,

I need to add that the Oilers were getting really close to 60SF/60 right around when they were running 5 forwards.

That is elite company.

Since then the SF/60 got taken out behind the barn and shot.

Eakins needs to go back to what was working.

I think we saw the start of it (I hope) in the last to PP’s last night.

Much better zone entries and puck movement in the zone.

Tyler dismissed my conclusion on the zone entries today, but confirmed them on the SF/60

His post here is required reading: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6529

What I failed to post for those who won’t read Tyler’s thread.

Oilers 13/14 PP (5v4) Shots For/60

Games 1- 24— 60.2SF/60
    Gamest 24-41— 40.6 SF/60

The change occurred the game after Eakins broke up the 5F PP unit that was killing it at an ungodly and thoroughly unsustainable 50% goal/PP rate.

Remember that the benchmark of excellence is about 60SF/60 (although the Oilers got a little lucky in the first half, read Tyler’s post for more)

58. Nuckout says:

I think it’s clear at this point in the game, that Eakins has laid out a specific plan for his young forwards, and will do what he sees fit to have everyone fall in line.

This is a “kill 2 birds with one rock” sort of deal. It gives Yak some perspective, and Eakins gets to see what Horak can bring to the table. Also, if Horak plays well and is a faster study, it may scare the bejeesus out of Yak, and he may smarten up.

Oil fans in general argue against themselves in circles. They want change now, but kick and scream when moves like this are made, and somehow call for Lowe’s head for coach level moves that they don’t agree with.

Eakins doesn’t care if you’re the second coming of Yeezus, he’s gonna bench you if you aint doing things right. That’s what’s needed.

If only he could listen to his own advice and bench JSchultz for a game or two.

59. cabbiesmacker says:

Yak is being treated very similiar to Tarasenko in St.Louis… I see no difference except for how the fans are reacting. Go read all the Blues threads panicking about ruining Tarasenko on the 3rd line. Both guys have huge potential, and both guys are currently stuck behind better players. Let go ofthe drama already.

In paragraph one above you are correct. Bowman could not have won with the Oiler lineup that began this season. Based on that Eakins is not to blame.

Ahem…so that leaves one man…maybe two because we might as well throw #2 under the bus as well (Gord knows he deserves it for his dismal performance the past half score), and that’s Mr MBA (like that means FA) MacTavish. He and he alone was delusional enough to believe that THIS defense and THIS goaltending could be a part of anything that rhymes with WIN.

The Oilers woes are painfully obvious to anyone not 100% engrossed in the team. They had the audacity to believe their #1 OV’s could make up for their very obvious deficiencies and lack of depth.

Some of us knew this before the first 2013/2014 puck was dropped.

Here’s what Bowman would do which MacT is highly unlikely to be able to do just like his two predecessors before him….He’d turn the ship around in one year and have it headed in the right direction. Highly unlikely MacT is capable because he, like his cronies around him, believes all it takes is 3 x #1 OV and you’re gold. Hah.

Only in OILERLAND. And I laugh when I read these posts practically blaming the fans of the team for their misfortunes. You aren’t being patient enough kids. Yes this team sucks like a Hoover and has now beaten the Flames record for playoff futility but somehow it’s YOUR fault. Be cool. The management types are in place to turn this pretend hockey franchise around. OK they haven’t been remotely close for close to a decade but they GET it now.

Where’s the dude that was betting all comers this team would make the playoffs? I’d like my cheque, which I will happily triple down on and leave in his name, made payable to the Stollery Childrens Hospital. Thank you very much. Can we make it a running bet for next year too?

P.S….What BS it was for Mr Pompous Eakins and anyone else remotely associated with this useless franchise to call out the fan that threw his Oiler jersey on the ice. The damn thing should have been on fire on the way TO the ice. If I’m in a bad restaurant and the food makes me toss chunks on the floor whats the difference? Slop on a plate is no different than slop on the ice when it’s served up to a paying customer. In fact the fans have the right to express themselves in any manner possible as long as someone else’s personal safety isn’t in question.

So typical of this franchise. Completely arrogant and “how dare anyone question what we are doing”..

60. flyfish1168 says:

The person that needs a reset is eakins. Send him upstairs to look at how his strategy looks from above. Hire him a coach with real NHL experience. Its obvious he is over his head. If Mact can do it all over again I wonder what he would do. If only

61. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    You know what was a great thread?This one.

yOU just can’t handle the TRUTH that Eakins is a COMMUNIST!

62. justDOit says:

fifthcartel:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m

And this from TSN:

The Calgary Flames have made a pre-New Year’s roster adjustment acquiring forward Kevin Westgarth from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for centre Greg Nemisz.

63. flyfish1168 says:

jb,

Tarasenko is still getting almost 15 minutes per night and never average <10 min a night and 2-4 min on PP check ESPN
    That is called development. Please post your St. Louis Blues Blogs

64. jp says:

Woodguy:
    What I failed to post for those who won’t read Tyler’s thread.

Oilers 13/14 PP (5v4) Shots For/60

Games 1- 24— 60.2SF/60
    Gamest 24-41— 40.6 SF/60

You didn’t mention that the Oilers as a 5X4 team in games 25-41 actually have a bad GAA relative to a normal NHL team. That is, the Oilers with the man advantage have been giving up goals at a rate (2.7G/60min) worse than league average for teams at 5X4, 5X5, and 4X5 combined. That is beyond words putrid.

65. Nuckout says:

jb,

Tarasenko has 12G, 8A, and is +2.

Yakupov has 6G, 8A, and is -25.

You tell me who is the bigger defensive liability.

If they’re both being treated the same way, it’s due to circumstance, nothing else.

66. VOR says:

Maybe Eakins is just trying to get Yak’s attention. Maybe he is an Eddie Shore quality jerk. Time will tell.

Shore, for those of you who don’t know, owned the Springfield Indians of the AHL. He would trade for players NHL teams had given up on too soon, or never given any chance to play in the first place. Then he would sign them to ludicrously unfair contracts and hold them hostage in the AHL. Made Springfield a good team and a terrible place to play.

The story goes that one fine day Shore took a big payday and sold the entire team to a guy called Jack Kent Cooke. What Shore didn’t know was Cooke’s plan was to transplant the entire team to LA and use them as the nucleus of a new NHL expansion franchise called the LA Kings. Shore had managed to accumulate the best team not playing in the NHL and sold it for a fraction of what it was worth. He did so because one of his players’ (widely reported to have been Bill White) had organized the first strike in professional hockey and finally made Shore improve both work conditions and pay. That action would lead to today’s NHLPA. In the short term it hurt Shore’s margins badly and so he sold.

First thing the guys on Springfield did when they got to the NHL (at the time they were all considered ungrateful bastards) was to try to hold up Cooke for raises. Eventually Bill White’s contract battle with the Kings became so acrimonious that he was traded to Chicago in rather a lopsided deal. He was, according to all sources, a poison in the locker room. The ultimate in it for himself guy.

The Blackhawks apparently could see past the side burns and the reputation for being a corrosive force in the dressing room and realized Bill White was a pretty good defenceman. He would of course become famous for 8 games of hockey particularly the last 34 seconds of the 8th game when under unimaginable pressure (nothing any Oiler has ever faced comes close) he saw a tiny hole and flipped the puck up into the lights for a sure icing. At least it would have given Team Canada time to regroup. Except it didn’t turn into icing. Amazingly it stopped dead just short of the blueline and ended game 8 of the 72 Summit Series. It wasn’t even his best play of that game but it ended the series and thus slipped into legend.

After the series the Russians to a player praised the incredible talent of Bill White. Modern analysis, by the way, has shown they weren’t wrong. Apparently his w/wo corsi was spectacular and no I am not being facetious. For almost a decade he was one of the top four dmen in the NHL so it was no fluke.

What does this have to do with Yak? My advice to him would be this,

if Eakins is just trying to get you to play at both ends of the ice, ala Scotty Bowman and Steve Yzerman suck it up and get with the plan. If on the other hand Eakins or MacT are showing signs of being Eddie Shore then all you can do is play every game like it is game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. That is what Bill White did for all those years he was stuck in the AHL. Cooke never confirmed it but many sources say he bought the Springfield Indians just too make sure he got White in expansion. Certainly White’s play raised his teammates up where Cooke noticed them.

So whatever role the “brain trust” of the Oilers gives you to play, whether they are Bowman or Shore, your best option is to play your heart out, every second. You have the advantage of knowing you have options. White had to make his own. He didn’t get to play a minute of NHL hockey until he was 28. You’ve already played a full season and been a star.

We all get you think these guys are morons. Know what, most of us agree with you. However, it still makes no difference. You are Bill White and right now these clowns have you by the balls. But like White you are such an incredible talent you can choose to play at such a level that eventually you escape the hell hole that is Edmonton and get to play with people who recognize talent and know how to nurture it. You might ask your agent about that guy Bill White. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do whatever it takes.

67. cabbiesmacker says:

VOR,

Nice job VOR.

Hey all it took to turn the Hawks franchise around was the owner taking a dirt nap. Who’da thunk it huh?

Old man Wirtz reminded me a lot of this franchise actually. Couldn’t tell the guy a damn thing. He knew it all. Surrounded himself with his crony boobs like Pulford and did nothing to improve the franchise until finally the fanbase started drifting away. Far cry from today I’d say. I’m biased but if the Hawks aren’t the most exciting team in the NHL today I don’t know which one is. Of course they had the smarts to hire on a top 3 NHL coach as well so big difference.

Really Bill?

Greg Chase is 1-1-2 tonight, 36, 21-21-42 for the season.

69. OilLeak says:

Nuckout,

Uh huh, comparing the plus minus of 2 players on polar opposite teams is sound analysis.

70. OilLeak says:

Wait till the Oilers trade him for Kale Kessy 2.0.

71. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I think the tactics on Yak aren’t entirely what I support, but as I have watched, there are real issues in Yaks game. I get fast hands and speed – anyone can plainly see it on display. But when you get to this level your cerebral approach to the game, your ability to manage your confidence and team interaction, your ability to grasp systems and on ice dynamics factor in. He has some blind spots around these areas and they are showing. Will he grow through it? To early to say. If you asked me, he’s more Samsonov then Bure but that’s an early indictment and a humble fans opinion.

I fear the current situation is forcing MacT’s hand. He has to be dealt as they can’t be forced to the wall with the KHL ‘barrel to the temple.’ This is the risk you have with disgruntled Russian players where the KHL is really home for them. That’s just a reality.

Eakins may be taking the stick to him but I think the young man has been given LOTS of opportunity to show he gets it. He doesn’t yet. He is truly lost out there. It doesn’t forgive the pass Gagner or J Schultz seem to be getting in contrast. Yak needs to own this and play his way out. If he can’t, abrupt change will come for him – sooner than later because of the KHL angle. Eakins isn’t stealing away the decisions he makes on ice. He’s a well paid pro. Step up…and fast…as the mutual situation perception fuse is getting pretty short.

72. hankster says:

Bowman would get experienced personnel at all positions, starting with assistant coaches who are proven and technical. We can all agree what Bowman would do to Gagner and Jschultz. Then punish Eberle for cheating for offence, sit Hall for a game with his passes.
    No problem with benching yakupov. Just be consistent with 1 year 6 times over gagner.

73. flyfish1168 says:

Veterans get a free pass – come on that is a statement for an excuse and some of them have used up more than they should be allotted. Shouldn’t it be the other way around were rookies and the least experience make mistakes. Remember Yak is only around the 80 game mark.

Rookie coach keeps saying the wrong things.

I’m picking on him because I’m loosing confidence in him and feel he is over his head being head coach, eakins needs help. MacT has to address this.

74. hunter1909 says:

hankster: Oh, bowman can’t do any of that stuff here because lowe occupies that seat. So sad.

Lowe might as well work for the Calgary Flames, if the comments coming from Flame fans “Keep Lowe forever!” over the years are anything to go by.

Will someone please photoshop Lowe in a Flames jersey, number 4 natch, and circulate it everywhere Lowe is likely to turn up in Edmonton(or does he exist like a subterranean beast, and rarely seen).

It’s been a long week.

75. hankster says:

Nuckout:
    jb,

Tarasenkohas 12G, 8A, and is +2.

Yakupov has 6G, 8A, and is -25.

You tell me who is the bigger defensive liability.

Tarasenko has 4 other teammates who helps his +/-. Those guys were coached and given the right instructions, and have a hockey system to play under. Noticed how the newly added Perron and Gordon are better defensively…but soon they’ll be negatively influenced.

76. cabbiesmacker says:

hankster:

Oh, bowman can’t do any of that stuff here because lowe occupies that seat.So sad.

You know what’s sadder? The odds Burke will make the Flames a legit playoff contender before MacTavish can do it here…..starting from 3 rows back no less. I don’t believe he has an MBA either. Just a clue.

Would have creamed Lowe in the barn so why not take MacTavish behind the woodshed?

Odds he gets Gardiner first and doesn’t sell the farm to do it?

77. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

cabbiesmacker,

I do wonder how Burke would land on how to deal with Yak right now?

78. dangilitis says:

OilLeak,

Isn’t Chase Kessy 10.0? But hopefully with a lot more skill. He is turning out to be the cream of the crop already based on this half-season’s worth of play, and IMO, has put himself above Khaira, Kessy, and every other power forward prospect we have. Kessy, however, had a run like this in the playoffs so I would like to see Chase produce at this rate for the full season and playoff run to make me a believer. Chase was a great pick, and most importantly, I think you are forgetting that they would never trade this guy for a player like this, because Chase is the player they are trying to get back in any such deal.

And for the record, Reider (a) isn’t exactly killing it in the AHL, and (b) would never have made it on the team if Omark couldn’t crack the roster. Not that I agree with the Omark handling, but those are the facts. Kessy is really looking poor lately, though, and OKC could really use Reider right now.

79. fifthcartel says:

“The Leafs and Edmonton Oilers have also been keeping a close eye on each other, with an Oilers scout being at the last few Toronto games.”

No idea if this site is very legit or not, but the Leafs have some nice pieces that are apparently available; Kadri, Gardiner, Reimer.

80. Pouzar says:

Come on guys….Bogdan was player of the game for Russia today!!!!!!!!

81. "Steve Smith" says:

Seriously, that was a really terrific thread.

82. cabbiesmacker says:

fifthcartel:

Fourth Period is quite legit. No issues there

83. cabbiesmacker says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    cabbiesmacker,

I do wonder how Burke would land on how to deal with Yak right now?

Probably park him in the A for a week or two then trade his ass if the attitude didn’t change..

Or maybe he would have dealt the pick figuring Eberle + 2 #1 OV’s should be enough to get the job done.

84. art vandelay says:

Captain Oblivious wrote:

Is this ElmoreLeonard.com now?

85. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

cabbiesmacker,

The Flames hope for tomorrow – Sven – seems to be getting the toe of the boot from Burke without a bunch of dilly dally. The Feaster vision of the future flames (which had some common traits to the Oilers vision) also met a swift lights out when Burke fed Feaster the green wiener and put him out of his misery.

86. justDOit says:

“Steve Smith”,

Threads like that come along every – what, eighteen months or more?

87. justDOit says:

cabbiesmacker:

…Would have creamed Lowe in the barn…

justDOit: Alright I’ve got to stop you right there. These fingers will never type out any combinations of characters that in ANY WAY defend the ‘Lowe of the Rings’, but when the Penner offer sheet was ‘penned’, there’s no way that the bloated old Burke would stand a chance with a man only nine years removed from being an NHL defenseman. And I don’t think the margin between them, physically, had changed much since 2007.

Plus Burke’s all hat and no cattle. Lowe played a little crazy, and I don’t think that would have changed much either.

89. justDOit says:

Well the guy’s nickname was Vish, for vicious. Although lately, it could be viscous.

Edit: Need to shower now. So dirty…

90. Nuckout says:

hankster,

Also playing mainly with D like Shattenkirk and Jackman can help your cause as well.

Gordon seems to be becoming most valuable in the faceoff circle, not much else. He’s way better defensively than Belanger so he’s still one of MacT’s better pickups.

91. Genjutsu says:

cabbiesmacker,

If memory serves Burke has a law degree from Harvard.

Harvard law > MBA.

92. Andy P says:

Genjutsu:
    cabbiesmacker,

If memory serves Burke has a law degree from Harvard.

Harvard law > MBA.

Harvard law > MBA: If you want to follow a career in law and/or politics.
    MBA > Harvard law if you want to understand how to run a large business successfully.

Burke played 1 year in the AHL, came up as an agent, worked under Gary Bettman.
    MacT won a few rings as an NHL player.

I’d suggest that Burke is probably a better wheeler dealer, but that MacT may be a little less emotional, and may have a better understanding of how hockey is played at the highest level.

Not sure who has the makings of a better GM, as I feel Burke was gifted the cup through the Pronger trade, and for whatever reason seems to have worn out his welcomes pretty quickly.

I personally like what I see about MacT, even as the jury is still out on his accomplishments in his first season as GM. Either the team was more FUBAR than anyone realized, which I suspect is the case, or MacT is not doing at all well.

Edit: Oh, and Burke is also into Rugby.

93. leadfarmer says:

Being +2 while taking easy minutes on a team that is + 45 is actually not very good

Also, with all apologies to MBAs out there, but an MBA is not that hard of a masters degree to get and can be done in just over a year

94. Ca$h-Money! says:

leadfarmer:

Agreed (I have one). It’s more a measure of one’s willingness to spend the time & money on more school during their late 20s/early 30s (a pretty busy time when careers are ramping up and families are starting). I would actually argue that’s true of most Masters degrees, as I’m not under the impression they are that hard to get into or pass.

Law on the other hand is usually something you do right out of undergrad. I’d argue the schooling is actually more difficult, but it’s less of a sacrifice from a life-management perspective…. until you start articling, which is just awful.

Anyway, back to hating myself a little more every day for being an Oilers fan…. when will the “fire Lowe” chants pick up at Rexall? I’d love to hear that drown out the announcers for an entire game.

95. stevezie says:

Is anyone else watching this Swedish team? They are a wrecking machine.

96. stevezie says:

You are welcome, Russia. As soon as I say that the Swedes fall to their heels.

Maybe not so surprising; the Swedes have played every shift of the tournament like their lives depended on it. I’m not sure how sustainable that pace is.

97. gcw_rocks says:

Space Dad,

Krueger may have done the former, but he was not afraid to do difficult things. He sat Smyth when he knew it was going to cause a shit storm. He sat Whitney. He sat others.

Krueger’s problem was he tried applying international hockey strategies designed for larger ice surfaced to the NHL game and got slaughtered for it. He also played the fourth line to much, but it may just have been add he said, compressed schedule. But the players wanted to play hard for him. I just don’t see that with Eakins.