HALL TO YAKUPOV

Taylor Hall is a wonderful player, any fool not connected to the Olympic selection committee can see that much just by opening their eyes. However, last night, with the game long decided, Hall showed the kind of teammate he is and backed up those words he spoke on HNIC a few short days earlier.

A two-on-one developed, Hall had all kinds of options, and chose to reach out and lend a hand to a struggling teammate. Whatever else happens this season, we can all be secure in the knowledge this is a team, and they have their leader.

It’s a moment we should remember.

87 Responses to "HALL TO YAKUPOV"

1. Suntory Hanzo says:

Well and simply stated.

2. Racki says:

The Oilers have turned me into a big time cynic in recent years, especially this year. I never really believe that the team has turned a corner and learned because every time they show progress, they immediately regress.

However, the moment for me last night wasn’t that play, but immediately following it (iirc?) when the team came to Yak’s aid. The team has lacked fight for quite some time, save for a specialized guy for the role. Last night we saw guys rally around a player. Something I hated like f—ing hell not seeing before. It was a welcome sight.. Long overdue, and I think that may be the TSN turning point for this team. Emotion. It existed yesterday in bulk. Now cure my cynicism please, Oilers… Follow this up..

3. nycoil says:

It was a single, piercing ray of sunlight through a roiling, ominous, limitless storm cloud. But it was a sight to behold amid the despair of late.

You may recall, LT, that in the season previews back in the fall, I said I hoped to see Yak on Hall’s opposite wing this year. You believed it would happen more under Eakins this year than it did with Krueger last year. Through circumstances, admittedly mostly his own fault, Yak hasn’t been afforded that opportunity. I hope that he and Eakins are able to use that as a carrot, a motivation: “Yak, you play well and I will move you up with Hall. You play poorly and you get Gazdic,” and that Eakins sticks to his word when young Nail does what is asked of him, because I still feel the most dynamic top line we could have would see Hall and Yak on the flanks of Nuge. Eberle would be a wonderful 2RW.

My Christmas wish this year, other than peace on Earth and happiness and health for all on this wonderful blog, is that we get to find “that” out (and that MacT doesn’t trade Nail away before we can).

nycoil:

My Christmas wish this year, other than peace on Earth and happiness and healthfor all on this wonderful blog, is that we get to find “that” out (and that MacT doesn’t trade Nail away before we can).

I remember the conversation. If they could go:

Nuge-Hall-Yak
    Couturier-Perron-Eberle

I think they fly so high.

5. Jon K says:

Great game last night, especially Hall’s performance. Dominant. Enjoyed the Hall-RNH-Perron line when it was together.

Maybe this game helps bring the team closer to being a cohesive unit. Sometimes banding together against some surly pricks will do that.

Absolutely loved Yakupov’s moxie. Gazdic might not be much of a player but it’s hard to say he didn’t fill a role last night, despite flubbing more than one easy pass from the aforementioned Russian. If Eakins is truly making lineup decisions on merit, Yak won’t see the 4th line again this season. He responded and was full value for his limited icetime and linemates. More importantly, Eakins’ message to the team and fans will lose a lot of credibility if he doesn’t promote Yak.

6. CM says:

All I want for Christmas is to play with the box the kids came in.

7. GordM says:

This may have come up in the other thread…but I ran into a guy last night who is good buddies with the ‘jersey thrower’. Who knows if it’s true…but he mentioned MacTavish tracked him down, called him (my guess is through Terry Jones), told him the old ‘we value you as a fan’ stuff…but then went so far as to tell him he can drop the puck at the next Oiler playoff game.

Whenever that is.

8. Hammers says:

Racki:

Totally agree . Good for Yak and that must have made him realize he is part of the core Even Justin jumped in . For those that don’t like fighting this was needed by this group especially after the last week or so .

9. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Racki,

I had exactly the same sentiment – to a player. I literally said to my friends that they just became a team at that moment. Maybe a bit cliche on my part, but it was one part a release on bottled tension over this season and their collective plight and another really big part of standing up for a mate and standing your ground. Great stuff. Even J Shultz got in there. Proud of him.

10. lance says:

11. vesci says:

Lowetide: I remember the conversation. If they could go:

Nuge-Hall-Yak
    Couturier-Perron-Eberle

I think they fly so high.

In this scenario who have the Oilers given up to get Couturier?

Just curious

12. GordM says:

vesci: In this scenario who have the Oilers given up to get Couturier?

Just curious

2014 NHL Entry draft is in Philly…Maybe Holmgren will want a big splashy deal for a top 5 pick in front of his home crowd!

vesci: In this scenario who have the Oilers given up to get Couturier?

Just curious

14. vesci says:

Lowetide: I’m thinking right now (doing a post over Christmas) that involves Couturier-Coburn coming to Edmonton and Aaron Ekblad being the centerpiece of the package going the other way.

In some ways I like this in others this means we have a lot of bad hockey to watch for the next 40 games, assuming Ekblad is the oilers trade chip!

15. leadfarmer says:

I have been one of Eakins’ biggest critics, but I do like what he did with “JerseyGate” by acting like a big Douche. He focused all of the attention on himself and away from the players. What was Hall’s reaction, Eberle’s, Nuge’s, Yak’s, Gagner’s do the Jersey ordeal? Don’t know. Exactly my point.

16. ASkoreyko says:

Hammers: Totally agree . Good for Yak and that must have made him realize he is part of the coreEven Justin jumped in . For those that don’t like fighting this was needed by this group especially after the last week or so .

I do have to say watching JSchultz be involved like that really made me smile as well. I don’t think Justin would ever hurt anyone, but he also wasn’t about to let someone push around his little Russian.

Nail is like that weird foreign exchange kid that joins a new school, Taylor Hall is the coolest kid in school. Last night showed that Hall et al. accepted the weird foreign kid into the fold. Now lets hope Nail builds off that trust and scores eleventy billion goals!

17. jake70 says:

Would be nice to see Yak first acknowledge his passer (Hall didn’t have to pass to him, could have opted for the decoy/laser shot like a few games ago) before anything or anyone else…but that’s me being picky.

18. Andy P says:

lance: I would love to have seen Eberle’s face when Hall set up Yak. Its been said that Ebs has issues passing to the russian, I wonder how highly he is threatened by Nail. Clearly Ebs will have a better career around Hall and RNH, if he is bumped from the top line his TOI and ppg will certainly falter. And if that is really going on, he would have two choices: one is to try and isolate his opposition, aid in his demise; the other would be to work harder, train harder, and be better. To embrace the competition and try to outperform or use psychological tactics to keep Yak on the outside. Clearly one is a better choice, but I’m sure we’ve all seen the opposite when the new kids challenge the old guard.Here’s to hoping that Ebs learns from Perron’s most professional 2nd intermission interview and challenges everyone to be the truest professional in the group.

I’ve always said there are two ways to compete, in business, in sports and in life:
    Either outperform your opponents, or play dirty. Everyone benefits from the former, very few from the latter. I too hope Ebs chooses the former and I was really happy to see Hall make that pass.
    That pass, the fight and the scrum last night made Yak a member of that team.
    Add that to a 60 minute effort and we can once again see a glimmer of hope that will be much brighter if they lay a licking on Cgy after the break.

19. Jon K says:

If the Oilers are indeed in position to draft Ekblad, I think they might have a hard time passing on him. Here’s his bio taken directly from eliteprospects.com

Aaron Ekblad Canada

Birthyear: 1996-02-07 Birthplace: Belle River, ON, CAN
    Age: 17 Nation: Canada
    Position: D Shoots: R
    Height: 192 cm / 6’3″ Weight: 98 kg / 216 lbs
    Youth Team: Sun County MHA

Just the second player to be granted exceptional status in the OHL. Ekblad is a true “two-way” defenseman. He makes great passes, uses his size to his advantage, plays the body, quarterbacks the power play, can take over the game in any of the three zones and has great hockey sense.
    (Tyler Parchem, EP 2013)

2013-14 Barrie Colts OHL 29 10 15 25 41 1 |
    Canada U18 Hlinka Memorial 5 2 2 4 4 4

Captain for both of those teams.

The downside? Talk of the upper end of this draft being weak relative to other years, and the comparable of Chris Phillips being used.

20. slats432 says:

Hate to be the buzzkill, but this win was akin to a one gallon oasis with 500 miles of desert still to walk.

We have a leader. On a terrible team.
    We have a Russian, that shows intensity because he is a horrible two way player.
    We have no long term solution in net.
    We still have a small team.
    We still have a weak blueline.
    We are still going to miss the playoffs for an 8th consecutive year.
    We are still going to be bottom five in the NHL. Again. (Caveat for the one blip to 24th OV)
    Our management group is still horrible.

Other than that, it was nice to wash that crap taste out of our mouth from Saturday’s debacle.

Merry Christmas Oilers…..I will put this one beside the other ties in my closet hoping for a better present….like meaningful games in April.

21. Doomoil says:

lance:
    I would love to have seen Eberle’s face when Hall set up Yak.Its been said that Ebs has issues passing to the russian, I wonder how highly he is threatened by Nail.Clearly Ebs will have a better career around Hall and RNH, if he is bumped from the top line his TOI and ppg will certainly falter.And if that is really going on, he would have two choices: one is to try and isolate his opposition, aid in his demise; the other would be to work harder, train harder, and be better.To embrace the competition and try to outperform or use psychological tactics to keep Yak on the outside.Clearly one is a better choice, but I’m sure we’ve all seen the opposite when the new kids challenge the old guard.

Hey we have a nice heart warming thread, let’s toss in some nutso conspiracy crap to really bring it down a notch.

22. Manitoba Oilers says:

Jon K,

Chris Phillips a comparison
    IMO Ekblad is a Shea Weber type

23. Jon K says:

MB Oilers:

From the great OHL Prospects blog:

1. Aaron Ekblad – Defense – Barrie Colts
    Most people know about Ekblad by now. The former priority draft exception is already in his 3rd season and has become a household name in the OHL. Even though Barrie’s gotten off to a disappointing start, I don’t think you can pin a lot of that on Ekblad. While he is the captain of the team (a feat that deserves praise at such a young age), it’s been the team’s forwards that shoulder the majority of the blame for the team’s losses thus far. Ekblad is a tower of power on the blueline. He’s a physical specimen that is incredibly difficult to play against in the corners and in front of the net. Offensively, he’s still growing and gaining confidence in his ability to run the transition game, but he’s made great strides on the powerplay where he looks more confident distributing the puck and using his shot. All that being said, I do think the gap is closing between him and some of the other fantastic talents available from the OHL this year. The likes of Bennett, McKeown, Dal Colle, etc are breathing down his neck for this spot.

Brock Otten said…
    RE: Ekblad vs. Nurse

Like Anthony, I too believe Nurse has a higher upside. Nurse is the better forward skater and puck rusher and is a more athletic defender. He’s also the more naturally physical player. Ekblad is tough to play against, but Nurse plays with a more consistent edge and seems to enjoy that part of the game more.

Ekblad is actually the better power play quarterback right now though IMO. Does a better job of making decisions with the puck on the point and gets his shot through. Defensively they’re pretty identical except for the fact that Nurse is the more consistently physical player.

I think it was Craig Button who recently compared Ekblad to Chris Phillips and I like that one. He’s going to play a long time in the league and he’s going to eat a ton of minutes, but he’s probably never going to be someone you consider among the best defenseman in the league. While Nurse has a higher “bust” potential, he also has the potential to be considered in that “top defenseman” category due to his growing ability to play both ends.

24. Andy P says:

slats432:

We have a leader.On a terrible team.
    We have no long term solution in net.
    We still have a small team.
    We still have a weak blueline.
    We are still going to miss the playoffs for an 8th consecutive year.
    We are still going to be bottom five in the NHL.Again. (Caveat for the one blip to24th OV)
    Our management group is still horrible.

When we thrash a team that beat us previously, that’s called progress.

25. David says:

I think Ekblad is the real deal. If this season is bad enough for us to get him for everything good in the world lets not throw it away.

26. BrazilianOil says:

Is Coburn a real 1D ? If not i prefer to trade the pick for a real 1D.

Couturier for Gagner + Klefbom + 2 round ( NSchults ). ?

I don’t like Coburn that much.

The only time he’s done well vs. 1st comp is with Timonen.

I think bringing in Coburn to be 1LD is placing above his established NHL level.

Who know, maybe he’d play well with Petry too, but Timonen is the bus driver on that pairing.

Coburn 3388min from 2010-2013

1724min with Timonen 51.2%CF
    1663min without TImonen 47.6% CF

Timonen with Coburn 51.2% CF
    Timonen without Coburn 53% CF

Also realize that some of those minutes away from Timonen are not against 1st pairing opp too.

Not a bad hockey player, but not the one I want for 1LD.

I lust after Couturier though.

28. Thinker says:

Maybe the jersey was a turning point for the club. However, last game illustrated exactly why I hate this team. Get the shit kicked out of you until the fans start checking themselves into the asylum, then destroy a team by showing some give a damn. Rinse and Repeat. Hopefully the jersey broke the cycle.

Thinker:

One thing we need to remember is the murderer’s row opposition on that road trip. Lordy, people, that was nasty. No sin in acknowledging that.

30. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I could see something similar with NJD for Henrique and Larsson.

31. jp says:

Such a great game last night on so many levels. Now they have to do it again. Really encouraging though – they do have it in them.

GordM:
    This may have come up in the other thread…but I ran into a guy last night who is good buddies with the ‘jersey thrower’.Who knows if it’s true…but he mentioned MacTavish tracked him down, called him (my guess is through Terry Jones), told him the old ‘we value you as a fan’ stuff…but then went so far as to tell him he can drop the puck at the next Oiler playoff game.

Whenever that is.

That’s cool (if true). I guess they’ll present him with a new jersey at that point too. Would be nice if everyone could look back and make light of this as a turning point in a couple of years.

32. slats432 says:

Andy P: When we thrash a team that beat us previously, that’s called progress.

Progress isn’t measured by one game.

33. FastOil says:

As much as I think SC would be music for the team, if Ekblad is the price for those two it would be a massive overpay. The Oilers would not be getting the best player most likely. There is likely a ufa signing to bring what those 2 do.

Merry Christmas to you all!

34. DBO says:

Friedman’s 30 Thoughts mentions Oilers and Preds and even Weber directly. But Elliot says not Yak, but one of the other kids could be the centerpiece, but likely to happen in summer. More fuel for the fire.

I hope they sign Hemsky to a discount for a few more years. I’d even take Smyth on another 1 year discount. He is a solid 4th liner.

35. RexLibris says:

I like the cut of your jib.

36. steveb12344 says:

That pass was a perfect saucer right on to Yak,s tape. An absolute thing of beauty!!

DBO:

If you do Eberle/#1 for Weber, and sign Hemmer it’s

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Hemsky

are we good? Keeping in mind the rake 2.0 is back on blue?

38. slats432 says:

Does that address the size up front issue? We are better having Weber instead of Ebs/#1, but a playoff run is still out of the question.

39. Factotum says:

My favorite moment was Gazdic and Yakupov in the penalty box. Loved it. But I’m not close to being on the bandwagon yet.

40. vesci says:

Lowetide: If you do Eberle/#1 for Weber, and sign Hemmer it’s

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Hemsky

are we good? Keeping in mind the rake 2.0 is back on blue?

Gord yes

My kingdom for Weber

41. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: If you do Eberle/#1 for Weber, and sign Hemmer it’s

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Hemsky

are we good? Keeping in mind the rake 2.0 is back on blue?

I still think we need an upgrade at 2C, in defensive terms mostly. But I admit that a Weber on the blueline can make even a struggling center look better.

Mostly I just think about Weber turnbuckling Flames players a la Zetterberg. Not that I would ever endorse that kind of reckless play.

heheheheh…

42. G Money says:

As much fan as it always is to watch a big win, my favourite things from the game last night:

- Hall’s pass to Yakupov

- Yakupov standing up for himself, and the team standing up for Yakupov.

- Gazdic. I’m not a fan of facepunchers, but I’m becoming a fan of Big Luke. No one was more excited for the goal scorer when they put one in. The guy is absolutely over the moon for his teammates when they score, and its obvious that he’s genuinely becoming part of the team. Took retribution on Mark Stuart for his crosscheck to Gagner and the late hit on Yakupov, and made Stuart pay a real nasty price. Loved it. And that little pep talk with Yak in the penalty box was awesome.

- The way the crowd went nuts for Yak when he scored. That was the only goal I stood up and fist pumped for. Because Yak. In Edmonton, we have a history of turning on our young stars when they struggle. It’s so good to see the entirety of YakCity behind our struggling Tatarstanian future superstar.

Jon K,

I agree.

I bet Ekblad is going to be a fine NHL Dman for a long time if injuries do not derail his career.

A lot of what is said today about Ekblad is how he overpowers the opposition.

That simply won’t happen right away in the NHL.

What we need to remember is draft hype.

Anyone remember the 2008 draft?

Best Dman came down to Doughty or Bogosian (with Pietrangelo a close 3rd)

This was said about Bogosian:

About Bogosian, Waddell says: “He’s a man. He comes across as a more experienced player and person than a 17-year-old. His poise on the ice is extremely high. He brings both sides of the game. He can jump into the rush and he likes the physical play.”

Sound familiar?

Anyone remember the 2006 draft?

Erik Johnson was the next Pronger:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — The St. Louis Blues, forced to trade Chris Pronger last year to cut payroll, drafted a defenseman who ultimately could have a similar impact to the one Pronger had on their blue line.

Johnson said he believes he is mentally and physically ready to play in the NHL next season. Prior to the draft, the consensus among scouts was that he was the most prepared now to play in the NHL.

Also,

Even guys who turn into who they are supposed take time.

Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb: “For being that young, he’s very mature, and he’s big, but moves like a smaller guy. Very mobile, and his puck sense is excellent. Hedman is dominating the game, playing on the first defense pair on MODO. He’s playing around 20 minutes per game.”

NHL Director of Central Scouting E.J. McGuire: “Victor Hedman brings to his game unsurpassed combinations of size, explosiveness in his skating, quickness and offensive ability. He is indeed the whole package and that just might get him the number one selection overall.”

Hedman was taken 2nd in 2009.

He is not a bust at all.

Now, 5 years from his draft is taking on 1st pairing assignments and doing well.

5 years.

In 5 years Hall has 2 years left and Eberle has 1 year left.

The Oilers need a 1LD now, not 5 years from now.

The only Dman to come in a actually make a difference to his team as freshly drafted rookie was Doughty in 2008.

Before that was Bouwmeester in 2002, and what he actually added to FLA can be debated.

Putting all your hopes on a 18 year old Dman, even one with the history of Ekblad, to become the saviour Dman for a franchise is not a good bet.

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

I could see something similar with NJD for Henrique and Larsson.

I can see Lou selling Larsson.

I’d want Gelinas out of NJD, but Lou might not sell him.

Henrique isn’t near the player SC is imo.

45. mustang says:

Lowetide: I remember the conversation. If they could go:

Nuge-Hall-Yak
    Couturier-Perron-Eberle

I think they fly so high.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone:)

This is exactly what I want lines 1 and 2 to look like. I hope MacT is able swing the deal
    that brings Couturier to us, I think he’s the ultimate 2nd line center behind Nuge.

Cheers

46. RMGS says:

Couldn’t stay up for the third but just finished watching it. Indeed, Hall to Yakupov was a little Christmas magic. Let’s hope it lasts a decade.

Merry Christmas, Festivus, Solstice, and Saturnalia!

47. DBO says:

At this point I think we’d have to be. Joensuu has looked like at least an NHLer, maybe a 3rd liner. Lander can hold his own. Gordon has been a revelation. Gazdic is as good a face puncher as we can expect. Add Kulemin as a UFA, a vet LD as well to split time with Klefbom (maybe Nikitin), sign Smyh to be the vet 4th liner, and suddenly we look balanced.

Hall-Nuge-Yak
    Perron-Gagner-Hemsky
    Joenssu-Gordon-Kulemin
    Smyth-Lander-Arco
    Gazdic-Pitlick

Ference-Weber
    Belov-Petry
    Nikitin-Schultz
    Klefbom

Bryzgalov (embrace the Russians!!)
    Bachman

Happy fun times.

48. Bag of Pucks says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I have a hard time believing the “Ebs won’t pass to Yak” conspiracy theory. Primarily cos Eberle has a guaranteed 6 year contract. Regardless of whether the Oil/Eakins want to pump Yak’s tires at the expense of Eb’s ice-time, Eberle’s gonna get paid.

There was an interesting comment at the beginning of the broadcast last night that the Oil were concerned what impact moving Eberle to the 2nd line would have on him? Wtf! I would think one of the benefits of having the core on longterm deals, is you can deploy the chess pieces as the situation warrants and you don’t have to expend as much effort on this touchy feely crap?

Thought the team looked much better last night with Perron on the topline and Gagner & Ebs fed the soft mins. Jonesu could be a nice fit for that pair too, heavy on the cycle, netfront presence, etc.

I like the prospects of an Arcobello/Yakupov 4th line as well. Take the pressure off and let them create some energy in cherry situations. Bout time Eakins shuffled the deck like this.

49. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Woodguy,

I can’t argue that but the plum in this is Larsson. He’s ready to move to top 4 then a year later top pairing. I have a personal feeling Henrique is suffering a little of what Perron did in St. Lou. He has the offensive chops and has been sharpened in a defence first environment. It will ultimately serve him very well but I think there is offensive upside.

50. jp says:

Lowetide: If you do Eberle/#1 for Weber, and sign Hemmer it’s

Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Hemsky

are we good? Keeping in mind the rake 2.0 is back on blue?

I’m on board with that. Doesn’t solve all the teams problems, but it’s a good start.

51. boxman says:

Merry Christmas LT and my one wish is for you to put a happier picture of Yak on your article. How about the penalty box shot with Gazdic embracing Yak. Sweet!

52. bookje says:

vesci: Gord yes

My kingdom for Weber

Can we stop with the unrealistic trades.

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    Woodguy,

Gelinas is LH, while Larsson is RH and I like Petry/JShutlz for the future.

Consider Larsson’s WOWY’s

315min so far this year (pretty small sample)

146min w/ Gelinas

With Gelinas 62.2 CF%
    W/O Gelinas 48.8 CF%

That’s amazing,

Check out Gelinas’ WOWY’s:

Pretty great start for a 22 year old rookie.

6’4″ 210lbs too.

54. nycoil says:

Woodguy:
    Jon K,

For the sake of brevity I did not quote your entire post, Woodguy, but I couldn’t agree more with you on this comment. For the sake of the team, if the price is Ekblad to get a top pair dman for the present/immediate futures, with this team’s window they’ve got to pull the trigger on that.

55. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Woodguy,

Love when guys like that emerge. I just don’t think NJD let’s him go. I’d take him nonetheless.

56. regwald says:

GordM:

Whenever that is.

That story was on the SportsNet broadcast in I think the intermission last night or during a sound bite during the game. So, it is confirmed. I feel like a MSM media guy know … lol

57. nycoil says:

Woodguy: Larsson is mostly playing with Gelinas lately and by all reports Gelinas is the one carrying the mail.

Gelinas is LH, while Larsson is RH and I like Petry/JShutlz for the future.

Consider Larsson’s WOWY’s

315min so far this year (pretty small sample)

146min w/ Gelinas

With Gelinas 62.2 CF%
    W/O Gelinas 48.8 CF%

That’s amazing,

Check out Gelinas’ WOWY’s:

Pretty great start for a 22 year old rookie.

6’4″ 210lbs too.

I’ve advocated trying to trade for Larsson previously on this blog (a couple of months back). Article is a tad out of date, but I do think that if there is a chance to get Larsson from Jersey, the window is now, while DeBoer seems to favour or prefer other players to him, and don’t forget Jersey is looking at forfeiting their 1st rounder this year for the Kovalchuk fiasco.

I would trade our 1st , and if need be, a lesser asset to get Lou to bite. Larsson, in my opinion, is a year or two away from being a top pair guy (of the Ehrhoff mold, not necessarily the Pietrangelo mold), but I watch him and he still has the tools. Plus he is RHD. Tough to find young ones with top pair potential these days. If he can help mentor Klefbom along the way, all the better.

58. Jon K says:

Woodguy,

To be clear, the comments in that post were made by Brock Otten, a writer for OHL Prospects. Don’t want to accidentally take credit for his insight!

I agree that waiting for help from Ekblad is foolhardy, for the exact reasons you stated. Heck, I said the same thing earlier this season about the folly of drafting Nurse with the hope of him being a contributor to the current group.

I just think that the Oilers might be hesitant to part with their shot at Ekblad and having control over a perceived franchise defenseman for the entirety of his career.

On the other hand, acquiring Weber this summer would draw a lot of comparisons to Pronger’s acquisition in the summer of ’05…

59. WeirsBeard says:

If you can get Weber, do it. There is no substitute for talent.

That said, I think we have to remember what those late 90s Oiler teams taught us in many ways.. One of which was having a solid D core without a killer #1. Bobo, Hamrlik, Niinimaa, Richardson etc. There aren’t that many 30min a night Charas in the league.

60. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy:
    Jon K,

I agree.

A lot of what is said today about Ekblad is how he overpowers the opposition.

That simply won’t happen right away in the NHL.

What we need to remember is draft hype.

Anyone remember the 2008 draft?

Best Dman came down to Doughty or Bogosian (with Pietrangelo a close 3rd)

This was said about Bogosian:

Sound familiar?

Anyone remember the 2006 draft?

Erik Johnson was the next Pronger:

Also,

Even guys who turn into who they are supposed take time.

Hedman was taken 2nd in 2009.

He is not a bust at all.

5 years.

In 5 years Hall has 2 years left and Eberle has 1 year left.

The Oilers need a 1LD now, not 5 years from now.

The only Dman to come in a actually make a difference to his team asfreshly drafted rookie was Doughty in 2008.

61. gcw_rocks says:

If you do Eberle/#1 for Weber, and sign Hemmer it’s
    Nuge-Hall-Yakupov
    Gagner-Perron-Hemsky
    are we good? Keeping in mind the rake 2.0 is back on blue

No, swap Gagner for Grabovski and we are though. Playing Gagner at centre is nuts.

62. RexLibris says:

Re: Henrique – I’ve liked this player for a few years now. Solid depth center, maybe best suited as a 3C, but perhaps could become a 2C with the right linemates.

I think he’s probably a better player than Backlund, and fast, if I recall correctly. The Devils had used him in front of the net on the PP a couple seasons ago.

Our 1st rounder and let’s say Marincin for Larsson and Henrique wouldn’t be such a bad thing. I’d slot Henrique in Gagner’s spot and then move him while re-signing Hemsky.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

63. RexLibris says:

30 arrests in Candlestick park yesterday. http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=439713

I get the feeling if they had been Philadelphia 76ers fans they wouldn’t have needed to book a demolition crew.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Missed the game and thread last night due to Hobbits2.

Hobbits2 = not good. Not terrible. But if it weren’t part of some grand narrative that you’ve already invested some effort into, you’d happily move on.

I think it suffers (vs. LOTR) from being simply a less engaging story, more ponderous and with less charming characters.

———-
    LT your line about Reds is going in the Hall of great LT lines. you should put a button on the side of the blog to link to a separate page compiling you greatest one-liners. That line would be a good start.

I broke up with a girl once in the middle of our Prom dance. Still one of the best nights of my life. When you are 17 you aren’t going to let anything get in the way of a good time. She got in the way.

———
    Back to Scorsese…. I think you have to embrace the whole catalogue to a certain respect (not like or enjoy mind you, but embrace). He’s got a pretty wide set of interests and likes to try new things. one of his loves is to try on genre pictures, like his musical (New York, New York) or Horror (Shutter Island) or Children’s films (Hugo), or Documentary (No Direction Home, Last Waltz, etc.), Period Piece (Age of Innocence)…

not all of these work, but it is interesting the way he wants to take a stab at genre formalities and see if he can add something to well worn formulas.

I mentioned this the other day, but I think he suffers from an over-identification with mobster flics and some of his best (like King of Comedy or After Hours) are criminally under-appreciated for their lack of guns.

All that said, he’s just as likely as the next guy to throw up a dud…. I’ve hated more than a few of his films… so it goes.

65. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

What I like about The Hobbit as a book is that it is a straight up adventure story, not some grand epic that establishes a self-contained mythology and has the fate of the world in the balance. It’s more fun than Lotr! The movie, however, wants to be an epic, and it isn’t supposed to be. Freeman carries it, for me, but it’s not all there.

I know what you mean about great artists’ entire canon being worth talking about, even the missteps. Tells you a lot about the guy (or gal). No Direction Home is my favourite Scorsese flick. The Aviator is 2nd. That right there probably tells you something about him doesn’t resonate with me. There’s obvious skill at work, and if you tell me a deeper study of his work would greatly deepen my appreciation then I believe you, but I think, much like love, there has to be a certain instant, instinctual attraction to inspire that deeper study.

Speaking of love, I agree with everyone about LT’s Reds story. I would also suggest, even if you weren’t married, that you made the right call at prom. I think there’s a lot to be said about breaking up, but it is still nice to see Hall putting some work into staying together Yakupov.

See how I brought it back?

66. Old School G says:

Gelinas is LH, while Larsson is RH and I like Petry/JShutlz for the future.

Consider Larsson’s WOWY’s

315min so far this year (pretty small sample)

146min w/ Gelinas

With Gelinas 62.2 CF%
    W/O Gelinas 48.8 CF%

That’s amazing,

Check out Gelinas’ WOWY’s:

Pretty great start for a 22 year old rookie.

6’4″ 210lbs too.

I excitedly think that Eric Gelinas could be our modern day Eric Brewer. He would be a sweet player to land. I’ve added him to my wish list. If we could get both Eric Gelinas and Eric Brewer somehow, I would be completely cool with that.

Happy Holidays to my Lowetide Brothers and Sisters!

WeirsBeard: I think we have to think of the first rounder in terms of an Iginla for Nieuwendyk deal. Both great players, more of a trade in terms of where they are in their career timelines.

Very well put.

Fully agree.

I still caution anyone about putting their hopes on a 18 year old Dman.

Since I started paying attention to it, the number of young D that get ridiculous publicity near the draft, then turn out like other Dman (take years and years to be able to be a 1st pairing NHL Dman, if ever) that I just caution against it.

Ekblad has an impressive resume so far with his exemption, but when I read a lot about how he physically dominates opponents, well that just doesn’t happen in the NHL unless your name is Chara…..and it took him years to get to that point too.

68. steveb12344 says:

At least our goalies havn’t scored a “goal in a butt”

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Very well put.

Fully agree.

I still caution anyone about putting their hopes on a 18 year old Dman.

I think we need to put a few things straight in this conversation.

1. we need top pairing D NOW.

2. those lusting after Ekblad probably also know about #1 and potentially aren’t expecting him to solve #1 right away, i.e., they want help now and Ekblad (so it may be a straw man to chastise those lusting after him)

3. Based on the Nurse decision Oiler Mgt. will lust heavily after Ekblad if picked and be very tempted to put him in the deep waters early… but they’ve shown resilience here too… I would expect them to make the right decision and not fall for Ekblad is the solution NOW BS.

4. It remains unclear how MacT wants to fight for #1: with his players or his picks, or both. He’s recently said the picks were on the table and that he has a core of 5-6 and 8-9 players.

5. It remains unclear if Ekblad would be the target if MacT went to the draft table. Is Nurse a Coffey exception, or is he the start of a trend? It seems highly probable that those in #2 camp are at odds with MacT and that he will take Reinhart or Draisaitl over Ekblad.

6. We will probably have to wait until after the deadline to actually know what MacT has for trade chips. What he leaves market with after the deadline will tell us a lot about how he might approach the market for #1 and whether he needs to sell off this year’s first rounder.

70. Ice Sage says:

Shea-sons greetings everyone

And to Oil a good night

Romulus Apotheosis: I think we need to put a few things straight in this conversation.

1. we need top pairing D NOW.

Agreed that if the Oilers actually use their #1 pick, its for a C.

Many are making the argument:

“The Oiler’s need a #1 D so you can’t trade the 1st because you could pick Ekblad and solve the #1 D problem”

That is the argument that I am opposed to.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Many are making the argument:
    That is the argument that I am opposed to.

I completely agree. this is ahistorical projection. Your notes on how long it takes D is well worth taking in deeply. The even more dangerous caveat is that many of these high D picks fall down the elevator… so you either wait of get nothing, you never get the candy today.

But I wonder how prevalent this thinking really is here… it seems more like those lusting after Ekblad (around here at least) are somewhat aware that they are going to have to wait on Ekblad to mature, like when you are 22 and you are waiting on the girl down the street to hit 19 so you can take her out and impress her with your wine selection.

They probably know they have to wait… they just think the wait is worth it. IMO it’s not. I’d rather take that promising foreign exchange student who is already of age out.

The problem with defensemen taken at the top of the draft is that, unlike forwards, they are not as likely to have the kind of upside we hope for; chances are they just have more of the iceberg sticking out of the water than the third round guy who is actually Weber.

We can say with some authority that Reinhart—if he continues—will have enough offense to play in the top 6, likely top line, and bring a wealth of secondary skills ala Nuge.

Ekblad might have developed early, may NEVER take one step forward from where he is today, and may not bring his offense with him.

You always run danger with D:

1. More likely to get hurt
    2. More likely to be one dimensional (because offense is more of a secondary skill)
    3. More likely to develop late
    4. More likely to be considered a disappointment

74. TheOtherJohn says:

And yet we (Oiler fans) project Klefbom to be a 1st pairing D guy and he hasn’t scored anywhere AND we believe Nurse can come in and play top 4 minutes next year. N/w/s that Oiler fans see JSchultz is a 1 dimensional D man at age 23 and the only dimension is offense

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn:
    And yet we (Oiler fans) project Klefbom to bea 1st pairing D guy and he hasn’t scored anywhere AND we believe Nurse can come in and play top 4 minutes next year. N/w/s that Oiler fans see JSchultz is a 1 dimensional D man at age 23

I have no idea how this first person plural applies.

We haven’t projected Klefbom as anything but what he is: a big, puck moving, good skating D who won’t score, but will break up sorties and get the puck moving if he can stay healthy.

We have resoundingly denied that Nurse can perform NHL tasks next year barring miracle.

We all see that 19 is limited and playing well above his ability through lack of depth, but remains young enough that his upside to move beyond “one dimensional” remains.

76. TheOtherJohn says:

Is there anything in the world better than 3-4 days of family: wife, sisters, etc trying to outdo each other over the C’mas season with incredible meals? Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, …. sister in law upset she pulled —-day after Boxing Day and to punish everyone is switching up and going with Tuscan theme.

Punish away. I won’t quit on this team!!

77. Bank Shot says:

If we are in Ekblad territory, then I would definitely make the pick.

Are there any defensemen out there that another team is going to be willing to trade to the Oilers in exchange for Ekblad that we would actually want?

Getting 2 years of Coburn for Eklbad is a massive waste of a top pick. The Oilers aren’t going to land a McDonagh for Ekblad. If a guy like Josi is available maybe you make that play, but there is risk inherent in that as well. I don;t think you move Ekblad for an Erhoff. He could be had much cheaper.

Personally I would prefer to see the Oilers dangle any of Perron, Yakupov, Eberle plus Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, and the rest of the D prospects for a capable top pairing player. Then fill out the rest of the D core with old, grumpy cusses with beards and work Nurse and Ekblad in slowly over the next few seasons.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I completely agree. The other thing too is that MacT knows Cs are important and nabbing a good one who can step in for Gagner when his contract is up or his replacement is abandoned is probably on the list.

So the team can argue organizational priority with Reinhart or Draisaitl both internally and externally if they pass on Ekblad.

One scenario that has me curious is if they trade the pick, but nab another first rounder (either in return for the 1st rounder, i.e., some package that ends in a trade down situation, or as a return on Hemsky and/or who knows what).

The way MacT ran his draft table last year makes me think they might be creative in building their picks… we’ll know a lot more after the deadline.

79. Joel Pepin says:

If we go all-in for Weber, he’s another RH D, so our depth on RD would be Weber, Petry and Shultz. Our left D would still be less-than-ideal, so maybe a Coburn would be a huge help too.

I love the idea of the following top-2 lines…

RNH – Hall – Yak
    Couturier – Perron – Hemsky

Then using a top pairing of Coburn / Weber.

So, can we get Couturier & Coburn from Philly, and Weber from Nashville using the following:
    - Eberle, 2014 1st round pick, Petry & Gagner (plus any prospect not named Nurse)?

Is this too much, or could something be cobbled together with these items? I think those top 2 lines with a legit #1 pairing could be fantastic.

PS Would it be better short-term to keep Petry and trade Justin Schultz instead? I love a lot of what Schultz the younger brings, but Petry seems much more defensively capable. If we don’t think Eakins can hardwire the D into Justin’s game, maybe trading him could net a higher return.

80. David says:

Woodguy: Agreed that if the Oilers actually use their #1 pick, its for a C.

Many are making the argument:

That is the argument that I am opposed to.

The draft is never about the now. But I want Ekblad for the future. I’m personally in the trade Eberle camp ( and I love Eberle). Eberle as the centrepiece of a deal that brings in a top pairing LD for the next 4-5 years until Nurse can take it. We have Petry and J.Schultz so Ekblad doesn’t have to be rushed but in 2-3 years we can trade Petry for whatever we need once Ekblad is ready for top four. Then you’ve got a decade of Nurse and Ekblad.

It’s not about the time frame. THe only question is: is Ekblad the real deal? I believe he is. But I’ve been wrong before.

81. David says:

I’m 110% on board for bringing in Henrique! That would be the stuff of dreams in My opinion.

82. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: At any rate, I’m sorry to here that Scorsese’s new flic didn’t meet WG’s happiness threshold. That’s too bad, I was looking forward to that one. I have to say though, (to Virginia I believe) The Last Temptation of Christ is a fantastic movie… but I say that as someone whose wife has studied Kazantzakis extensively and for whom the conceit of the film is very engaging. If you aren’t terribly interested in Christ narratives, it is simply going to be a long film, that is rather confusing… i get that.

Well, it gets a good rating on IMDB, but so does Gangs of New York, which rightfully garnered scorn from Hunter. Both of those movies seem very contrived to me. Over-the-top stylization which seems intended to help convince you, but works against itself. Put another way, it felt like the actors were trying very hard to convince the viewer that the plot was genuine. I dislike Temptation, but Gangs is worse. Admittedly, I’d never heard of Kazantzakis, so that probably didn’t help my reception of the movie. The book I might appreciate, although I can, in general, live without another Christ narrative. The original is pretty interesting; I haven’t seen a need for a re-imagining. I’ll have to add it back to the list of “maybe I’ll like it next time I watch it” films. Also, I’ll have to read more about Kazantzakis – he seems a rather interesting chap.

83. Andy P says:

slats432: Progress isn’t measured by one game.

So you’re saying that if we start beating teams that beat us prior, eg Flames, Kings, Canucks, etc, one game at a time, that’s not progress? If that’s the case then you are welcome to that opinion.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Also, I’ll have to read more about Kazantzakis – he seems a rather interesting chap.

Really interesting.

He’s a Cretan. He studied with Bergson in France:

and wrote his dissertation on Nietzsche:

His theology (mixing primarily Greek Orthodoxy with elements of Buddhism and Bergsonism) is best understood as in line with Process Theology:

But, he is best known for his literary works like Zorba the Greek and Last Temptation.

I totally get how someone could either be exhausted by Christ narratives or find the dominant one in need of no alternative… but Kazantzakis is fairly compelling and his interest in the tension of humanity and divinity in the person of Christ offers an interesting point of reference for us humans… especially those of us intrigued by apotheosis ;)

85. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    Thanks for the links. I’ve had a wine-tasting style look at each. So many things to read, but not enough mental energy.

But, he is best known for his literary works like Zorba the Greek…

I noticed this on the wiki page about him. It’s intriguing and I’ve got to give it a look.

This is precisely what I’m after lately and you’ve caught my interest regarding the written Temptation. I’ve been studying serial killers lately in the hopes of gaining some insight into societal structures and what shapes a person and compels them to whatever actions they undertake or whatever philosophy they adopt or invent.

It’s very easy to live one’s entire life without ever escaping from one’s own narrow perspective. Since I’m a bit at an impasse in my attempt to understand existence (small task), I figured I’d better either change or expand my perspective, hence the look at these killers. Part of what I’m trying to determine is just what is “normal” within humanity, and how far outside of normal are these people. I have this feeling that, as fucked up as they are, they’re not as far from normal as we want them to be. Although, as an aside, the two most prominent things I’ve learned from studying them are: (1) the authorities are largely apathetic, and certainly inept, when it comes to dealing with these incidents (further cementing my disdain for the state), and (2) the largest factor affecting these people is previous violence, usually related to poverty. Which gets us back to the topic. The first order human tension rises from the basic needs of survival on planet Earth. Once those are secured, then one can fret about the cosmos. It’s clear that many of these people have no hope of a hope of a future in this life. Some of them could have made something of themselves, but by the time this was possible, it was too late, they were already psychologically fucked up. Am I different from them only due to circumstance? (rhetorical)

I’m not sure if the above rambles, but if so, so be it. Merry Christmas. It’s good to be in this community. :)

86. Cobbler says:

slats432,

I don’t think you’re buzzkilling anyone around here. Perhaps 3-6 months ago.

As for the desert analogy (Jay Feaster be damned), I see three choices:

1) turn around yer going the wrong way…….you may not make it back
    2) stay and live at the oasis as log as you can, but ultimately die
    3) march on despite the conditions with the hope that something emerges on the horizon……you have come this far. But the road is treacherous and you have to keep your wits about you.

For me the third option would always be the one to choose and I have no problem with Klowe and MacT choosing it. Soldier on boys no matter what the plebs say.