HURRICANES AT OILERS, G32 13-14

The salary cap is moving up to $71M next season, giving the Edmonton Oilers miles of room to sign their free agents and improve the team significantly. I wonder what the 23-man roster might look like next fall?

TWENTY-THREE MAN ROSTER FOR 2014-15 (PROJECTED)

1. Devan Dubnyk ($3M)*
  2. Ben Scrivens ($3M)*
  3. Christian Ehrhoff ($4.0M)
  4. Justin Schultz ($4M)*
  5. Jeff Petry ($3.5M)*
  6. Andrew Ference ($3.5M)
  7. Mike Weaver ($2M)*
  8. Anton Belov ($2M)*
  9. Taylor Fedun ($700,000)*
  10. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
  11. Boyd Gordon ($3M)
  12. Matt Stajan ($3M)*
  13. Mark Arcobello ($1.2M)*
  14. Anton Lander ($800,000)*
  15. Taylor Hall ($6M)
  16. David Perron ($3.8M)
  17. Roman Horak ($800,000)*
  18. Jesse Joensuu ($950,000)
  19. Luke Gazdic ($635,000)
  20. Jordan Eberle ($6M)
  21. Nail Yakupov ($2.85M)
  22. Ales Hemsky ($5M)*
  23. Tyler Pitlick ($800,000)*

*-estimate

That puts the total at $67,545,000 for the group. I’m just making stuff up here, but dealt Gagner and a pick/prospects for Christian Ehrhoff and spent the free agent money on Scrivens, Weaver and Matt Stajan, plus added the Oiler free agents I’d like to return to the team (including Dubnyk, because I like him). I’ve kept Hemsky as well, so kill me it’s my list. You’re welcome to come up with your own, I tried to add Phaneuf but it’s going to cost too damn much so I sent the kids away and added Ehrhoff and Weaver while keeping some other veterans.

The defense is improved, the goaltending should be very good, there’s a center added (plus it gives Arcobello a chance) and I love these wingers (Horak can also play center). The cap could be very good for the Oilers if used wisely.

HALL’S HEARING IT

hall common3

• Taylor Hall: “I made the point that you can make anybody look bad on video. You can make a guy who had five points look like the worst player in the world with a couple of clips. It’s obviously tough when it’s a big stage like that and someone points that out, but I honestly feel I’ve been playing well defensively. I’m really not too mad about it. I think I’m trending upwards. I’ve definitely improved in my own end since the start of the year.”

This is a reaction to the Cassie Campbell video presentation on HNIC Saturday night postgame (Hall’s Dad told him). I have zero problem with the quote, and he’s definitely better than earlier (center, injury) but he’s not back to last season’s levels. I expect that Hall—being human—bristled at the criticism privately and will use this moment as a reason to shove it up the collective’s ass. Kid’s got swagger and has been touched by God, I will NEVER bet against him. I think the NHL community, better known as Mensa International, have already thrown him out for Olympic consideration. He’d be on my team, warts and all. He can push the river, we know this; it’ll come, my guess is last week is the beginning of a great run.

PM BOUCHARD

pm bouchard

PM Bouchard is on waivers this morning, I imagine he’s at the airport waiting for his flight to Winnipeg. I’d take a chance on him, it might mean Jones would be in roster trouble but for me Joensuu is the guy to send out. Matty doesn’t want him because vitals but I don’t give a rat’s ass about size; bring him in, see if he can play with skill and let’s go! The guy killed us about every 10 minutes when he was in Minny.

SHOTS ON GOAL

We don’t spend much time on this stat, but it’s an important one and some of these Oilers are having good seasons sog.

1. David Perron 98 (on pace for 283)
  2. Taylor Hall 89 (on pace for 278)
  3. Jordan Eberle 82 (on pace for 217)
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 61 (on pace for 168)
  5. Ales Hemsky 58 (on pace for 153)

Taylor Hall led the team in their last full season (207, in 2011-12) and the last time any Oiler hit more than 283 was Wayne Gretzky (288) in 1986-87. Hall’s number is also outstanding and increasing lately, with Eberle showing well too. I put Nuge’s number there because we might see a bump if he starts hitting the net more (his scope still isn’t quite there) and Hemsky’s number will be his best since 2008-09 if it continues.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

batgirl

The last time I recall talking Oilers-Hurricanes I got my heart broken. Let’s hope things turn out better tonight. This morning at 10 we preview the game on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Michael Parkatti, Boys on the Bus. Game preview, expected goals, mistakes that cost valuable possession seconds.
  • Guy Flaming, The Pipeline Show. World Junior’s, struggling 2013 picks and 2014 risers.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter, some impressive Canadians winning during the lead up to Sochi.
  • Alan Hull, Copper and Blue. Jekyll/Hyde Oilers, Hall for the Olympics.
  • Kirk Luedeke, Red Line Report. Iginla back to Calgary, 2014 picks from New England worth attention.
  • Bob Wage, Canes Country. Looks like there’s a new #1 goalie in Carolina, and I’ll ask about Riley Nash and Radek Dvorak.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Hope you can tune in!

361 Responses to "HURRICANES AT OILERS, G32 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Cobbler says:

For all of their defensive woes this season you just have to love these boxcars for the last 10 games

@Bob_Stauffer

Oil are 6-3-1 Last 10 GP: David Perron has 8-5-13, Taylor Hall 6-7-13, Jordan Eberle 6-4-10, RNH 1-8-9, Hemsky 3-5-8 over those 10 games

When was the last time we saw scoring like that?

2. Cobbler says:

Agreed on PMB, put in the claim. He was a bur in the Oil’s saddle for years and I remember him playing an aggressive fore check style while in Minny. Obviously has not performed well in NY, but as I recall neither did Penner in LA.

I suggested picking him up to a friend yesterday and got the “nah, small skilled forward” thing again. Ya, who would want to pick up skill? :)

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Interesting choices for next year. That said, despite the interesting new additions, the most interesting thing you’ve written here is:

Ales Hemsky (5m)

I’m curious to here your reasoning for paying Hemsky 66% more than he would command on the open market, despite the fact that he has grossly underperformed from a boxcar perspective on his last $5m contract.

Wouldn’t a hometown discount apply, instead of the reverse.. the old, “Ales, we love you, but let’s be honest, you didn’t exactly earn your dollars on your last deal. Let’s make up for it by signing a 2 year deal at a reasonable cap hit that will help us build a winner around you, and get you back into the playoffs.”

Seriously… $5m? That’s insane. I mean, I know you love the guy, but there is absolutely no way any other team offers to pay him anywhere near that. If other teams were willing to pay him $5m (or even $4m for that matter) he would have been traded a long long time ago.

4. stevezie says:

Sorry to interrupt, but considering how unpopular Don Cherry is in these parts it is amazing how many points he made on last week’s show would fit right in around here: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/ID/2422894425/

Against Thornton, criticizing hockey Canada, condemning taking old school “seeing him good/bad” over a resume, defending fancy moves

So he’s not all dinosaur, all the time. Every now and then he is even progressive.

5. stevezie says:

Ca$h-Money!,

I agree. I love Hemmer and think it makes tonnes of sense to resign him, but if he makes five million dollars anywhere I’ll eat my hat.

NO, no I won’t. I’ll… give ten dollars to the charity of whoever is the first person to remember this promise’s choice. Even if it is wildly political.

6. nycoil says:

I’m with those saying Hemsky’s number is too high. #3 glaring issue. Good player, not worth $5M anymore, and I see him either taking less to stay or less to get out of purgatory depending on how this year wraps up.

But to me, the second most glaring issue is the defense. So we trade for Ehrhoff, I see. Fine. But then we go and pay Schultz, with all his flaws, the same cap hit, and more than Petry (who at this stage is more complete) and the captain (who I know has some flaws, too but you know where that would go in the locker room).

The most glaring issue, of course, is that you’ve traded Sam Gagner so I guess MacT is going to break his gentleman’s agreement.

7. David says:

Ca$h-Money!:

Interesting choices for next year.That said, despite the interesting new additions, the most interesting thing you’ve written here is:

Ales Hemsky (5m)

Wouldn’t a hometown discount apply, instead of the reverse.. the old, “Ales, we love you, but let’s be honest, you didn’t exactly earn your dollars on your last deal.Let’s make up for it by signing a 2 year deal at a reasonable cap hit that will help us build a winner around you, and get you back into the playoffs.”

Seriously…$5m?That’s insane.I mean, I know you love the guy, but there is absolutely no way any other team offers to pay him anywhere near that.If other teams were willing to pay him $5m (or even $4m for that matter) he would have been traded a long long time ago.

Agreed. No team wanted him and his 5mil salary now or for the past two years. I’d like to keep him for 3 mil.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I’m just making stuff up here”

Scrivens makes a lot of sense because of the Eakins connection, but I’m not certain he makes it to UFA status. He may want to re-up in LA (the chance of a cup has an allure). It probably depends on whether Jones (Martin) can sustain his impressive runs in the AHL.

I really don’t see Dubnyk back, but it’s your list. I’d probably re-sign him too… just curious are you stifling him on term? 1 year 3M is ok, more than 1 year though that’s a high number for his performance.

———-

I love the Gagner + for Ehrhoff deal. Love it. Are you trying to secure Draisaitl for us? I hope so…

One question though… that puts BUF with (probably) Hodgson and Gagner as their top 2 Cs… I’m not sure they’ll want that.

Stajan is nice… but that depth chart needs more flash (RNH, Gordon, Stajan, Arco, Lander)… Arco could work… but adding Grabo as well and cutting one of Arco or Lander loose would be nice.

———-
    Keeping Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin all off the opening day roster is the sign of impressive smarts, so it won’t happen, because Oilers.

I think there is also a good chance that Larsen returns in some capacity. Eakins can’t stop saying nice things about him.

———
    I’m a little surprised you’ve got Horak on the club here… and on the wing. You clearly see him in the Kulemin mold. In fact, I’m surprised you haven’t signed one of your hobby horses (Winnik or Kulemin), both are free agents this Summer.

———
    Delighted you’ve re-signed Hemsky. 5M might be high. You can probably cut it with a touch of term (say 3-4 years).

———
    Pitlick won’t make the team because injury to spleen, thyroid, big toe, brain ligament and a touch of “Steve Smith” because Oilers.

9. David says:

No Nurse next year? I know that a lot of people are praying he stays in junior but what the chance the Oilers can wait? Even with adding Erhoff Nurse would probably be our 3rd best defenseman right out of the gate.

10. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “I’m just making stuff up here”

———-

———-

———

———

———

11. mustang says:

Pretty descent list but I think Hemmer is gone, I like Erhoff and double Dion being our top pairing. Have someone like Pitlick taking Hemmers place gives the cash savings to Phaneuf. I would like to send Gags and whatever is needed to get Patrice Bergeron/Couturier type

12. nycoil says:

mustang:
    Pretty descent list but I think Hemmer is gone, I like Erhoff and double Dion being our top pairing. Have someone like Pitlick taking Hemmers place gives the cash savings to Phaneuf. I would like to send Gags and whatever is needed to get Patrice Bergeron.

The whatever is needed at this time to get Bergeron is going to be + one of RNH or Hall. Otherwise Boston has zero reason to do that now. In 3 years when Chara’s retired, perhaps. But not now.

13. Bruce McCurdy says:

David: Do you think if the Oilers could have one re-do from last summer they would sign Grabovski? That would be my number one choice. Missed badly there.

14. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    ———

15. tsunami says:

Agreed… Then add Raymond as well

16. fuzzy muppet says:

No to PMB!

Another small redundant perimeter player.

17. Lois Lowe says:

I am actually pretty taken aback by Hall’s quote. It really shows no insight or willingness to accept criticism.

18. Lloyd B. says:

I do not completely understand the angst at MacT going against his word of a verbal no trade. Is there no onus on Gagner to live up to his end of the deal? I would suggest he isn’t and therefore MacTavish is free to trade away.

19. nycoil says:

Lois Lowe,

I think that’s being a bit harsh. Sure, he’s being a tad defensive, but right now he is getting heaps of media criticism for a lot of vague things. The guy came back early from a knee sprain, he played centre when he was asked. Yes, he has struggled, but so has the whole team. He is not a perfect player, and may have recently been seen cheating a bit for offense, but I take him on my team 100x out of 100. And I think his attitude is pretty good considering all the losing he’s done since he arrived.

Now, he’s getting called out by Campbell, which might be fair, which is causing some to bring up Ruff’s benching of him during the Worlds (unfair), and he’s being omitted from everyone’s Olympic list. Seems the kid is being unfairly singled out to me and being a bit defensive about the criticism (no pun intended), is understandable.

I hope he uses the Olympic snub (if true), like Nurse with the WJC snub, to show the world he can be a dominant, complete player. Our team will only benefit from his anger/fire/hunger/motivation.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Would love a do-over at Clarke MacArthur. Real actual NHLer in the same price range as Perron, Gordon, Ference. Of course you could make same case for Grabovski.

CM was very high on a lot of UFA lists here last Summer (mine too), the price was peanuts and the player is far more valuable than say Clarkson (but. you know. size!).

IIRC, however, CM was actually in EDM during free agency window and everyone got excited, but after he signed there were rumors he wanted to stay out East.

Grabo, another ridiculously cheap deal and such a short term… absolute no brainer. But again, same applies… how do you get him to come to EDM? There were rumors he also wanted to stay out East and, of course, that he only wanted 2C TOI.

nycoil: Hypothetical question for you, Rom. Would you rather sign Hemsky for 2 x $4M or 4 x $3M? I’d lean towards the higher cap hit, shorter contract given the man’s injury history and given age.

I think it would be in the 2 x 4.5M or 4 x 4M range.

I’d go long. Love the player. His shoulder seems fine. Hasn’t been an issue since the start of last season.

———
    Sidebar… on Hemsky

I think some may be undercutting his value here… and the “no takers because 5M” argument is complete BS. We know this.

Tambo and MacT haven’t found a deal that meets their needs. That doesn’t mean offers weren’t tabled. We heard tell of a variety of them over the years.

These aren’t differences of degree but of kind.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hard to say.

I think MacT/Eakins over-value the folder labelled

“collective jumble of narratives built around impressions of character by Ole’ Timey NHL types”

and Grabo rates very low in that folder.

A less particular question, but perhaps more instructive, might be: “in a do-over does MacT bolster the C position at some point before the season starts?”

I think there is a good chance MacT has reviewed his over-valuing his Center depth in the Summer (esp. with RNH unlikely and then the Gagner injury) and his meat-head chasing and graded himself poorly.

22. Hammers says:

All sounds like wishful thinking so I have my Christmas wish . Tavares to Oil for Yak , Gags, 1st rd pick & Klefbom . I can dream . As for Hemsky I also feel McT may offer him say 4 years @ $ 15 mill . We need to shoot higher than Scrivens & sad to say DD . A bonafide #1 center for the next 3-4 years until RNH takes over . To much pressure on him right now . Then comes the real problem , “D” you added Erhoff & Weaver. OK but would sooner shoot higher if possible . Back to reality . Does McT make a trade by Jan and if so who does he let go as you must give to receive .

23. barry.moore23 says:

I’ve never had millions thrown at me to take a job somewhere so I really don’t know for sure but it would seem like it’s going to be awfully tough to get anyone to come to the Oilers if they have any say in the matter at all. That being said i love the Oil and watch every game and follow as closely as i can and can’t seem to not do that :) I live in the middle of Blackhawk country and their organization just looks so damn professional. Ugh !!!!

24. russ99 says:

I like the Ehrhoff trade (wishful thinking: he has to agree to come here and MacT probably won’t break Gagner’s no-trade agreement) and the Weaver signing, but IMO we need at least one more top 3 D next year.

I’d see if we can make one of those pre-FA deals for the rights to Kulikov then sign him before he can be offer-sheeted, as he’s an RFA this year.

Also, this ignores the biggest problem area on the team, the third line. Horak, Hemsky and the current players not getting it done now are not an improvement, even with Stajan at C. Plus Gordon isn’t good enough offensively to hold down the 2nd line center positon.

And as I’ve said many times before the last few years, we’re not a playoff team until we have a shutdown line similar to the other playoff teams in the Western Conference.

I’d also like to see MacT think way big in regards to goalie, in fact IMO this is where they should use this summer’s 1st round pick, since it will cost much, much more to bring in a elite #1 D, and nobody’s selling.

Maybe we can pry Price out of Montreal or Fleury out of Pittsburgh. Dream scenario – the Blues win the cup and can’t afford Halak.

25. PerryK says:

nycoil:
    Lois Lowe,

I just started to reply to LL, but realized just in time that you had said it better than I could have. It appears to me that the Olympic Team Powers That Be are setting up apologies for not having picked him in the end despite the numbers!

LT is right; the kid looks to be going on a scoring binge. Out of no where, and never having seen this kid play until that one game, Cassie Campbell comes up with that singling out? Give me a break! Clearly, some one is directing what she had to say!

On HNIC, no less! Please!!!!

26. Tarkus says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 36s

NYI Pierre-Marc Bouchard clears waivers.

27. B S says:

NHL LW by points/game (Hall is 10th among LW in points (Perron, 8th)). Hall has more even strength points than Ovechkin.

Player Team Pos GP G A P +/- ESP SHP PPP HmP RdP DvP ODvP P/G
    1 James Neal PIT L 16 10 10 20 +1 9 0 11 8 12 5 15 1.25
    2 Alex Ovechkin WSH L 28 22 9 31 -10 14 0 17 19 12 8 23 1.11
    3 Henrik Zetterberg DET L 28 11 19 30 +12 19 0 11 18 12 9 21 1.07
    4 Taylor Hall EDM L 24 11 14 25 -6 17 1 7 13 12 3 22 1.04
    5 Zach Boychuk CAR L 1 0 1 1 +1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1.00
    6 Chris Kunitz PIT L 32 17 14 31 +13 17 0 14 17 14 13 18 .97
    7 David Perron EDM L 27 12 13 25 +0 17 0 8 13 12 6 19 .93

Lindy Ruff benched Hall for turnovers, while playing him with the biggest puck hog on the team (Duchene), who was never in position for a pass. Meaning his only option was to carry it in, dump it, or cross rink to Eberle. This turned into a ridiculous Narrative that Hall can’t play defensive hockey. Most of the time Hall back checks as hard as anyone, but Eakin’s current system has the wingers up high, covering the slot (Yak has been unfairly criticized for this too, despite Hemsky and Perron covering the same damn position). Every skilled forward turns the puck over, but Hall’s been called out on it because the goaltending craps the bed when he does it. Some of these narratives are getting out of hand. Hall turns the puck over, but he also back checks as hard as anyone else in the league and has improved this year at covering his man.

Snubbing arguably the top Canadian LW in the league period because you compiled a list of his mistakes over 30 games (including 2 out of position, where he was -5) is getting ridiculous. do the same for the other forwards in the league, then see how sexy they look for you Olympic roster.

28. G Money says:

- Part of what makes a rebuild in Edmonton much tougher than a rebuild in say, Chicago or LA, is that there are no extraneous factors that make the city an attractive place to go during a rebuild. So as a team, the Oilers are caught in a nasty catch-22: need to sign free agent veterans at reasonable prices in order to improve, but can’t sign free agent veterans at reasonable prices until they improve

- Which puts the onus once again on our youngsters and coaches to drive the improvement needed to make Edmonton an attractive destination and to be able to sign those free agents

- In that vein, there are a variety of reasons why CM and Grabo ultimately did not come here. I still find the signing of Acton over Lapierre and Jones over Raymond unconscionable. Both guys signed late and low, and I’m sure would have signed here for reasonable contracts in a heartbeat. Lapierre would have been another highly chippy and irritating little French bastard to add into the Perron mix. Raymond signed in TO for a $1M after a free agent tryout, and has 10 goals so far.

- Cassie’s video spot of Hall watching the play instead of getting involved in the defensive zone was pretty damning. On the other hand, Hall’s point is 100% correct – you can take any game and spotlight any player and you will always find mistakes, lazy moments, and brain cramps. The big issue with Hall is more that he just hasn’t been playing that well so far. He is a ice-tilter of the first order, but he hasn’t been doing that so much this year. He sits dead-last among the top 6 forwards for Corsi. That has to change, and I’m sure it will.

- LT’s roster: not a bad start – but is it a playoff bound roster? The defense is better, but is it good enough? The forward depth is better, but are there enough Perron-like types with a tendency to drive to the net, and shoot first and ask questions later? Or will that roster once again have nights like the Calgary game where they dominate possession, pass it around the perimeter for a good 30 seconds like a 5×5 power play, yet finish the sequence without a single hard push to the net and not a single shot taken?

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: I still find the signing of Acton over Lapierre and Jones over Raymond unconscionable. Both guys signed late and low, and I’m sure would have signed here for reasonable contracts in a heartbeat. Lapierre would have been another highly chippy and irritating little French bastard to add into the Perron mix. Raymond signed in TO for a $1M after a free agent tryout, and has 10 goals so far.

I agree, I’d have signed MaxLap (much to BM’s chagrin), but he didn’t sign late:

30. FastOil says:

B S:

Player TeamPos GPGAP+/- ESP SHP PPP HmP RdP DvP ODvP P/G
    1James Neal PIT L16101020+19011 8 125151.25
    2Alex OvechkinWSHL2822931-1014017 19 128231.11
    3Henrik ZetterbergDETL28111930+1219011 18 129211.07
    4Taylor Hall EDML24111425-61717 13 123221.04
    5Zach BoychukCARL1011+1100 10 011.00
    6Chris Kunitz PIT L32171431+1317014 17 141318.97
    7David PerronEDML27121325+01708 1312619.93

Lindy Ruff benched Hall for turnovers, while playing him with the biggest puck hog on the team (Duchene), who was never in position for a pass.Meaning his only option was to carry it in, dump it, or cross rink to Eberle. This turned into a ridiculous Narrative that Hall can’t play defensive hockey. Most of the time Hall back checks as hard as anyone, but Eakin’s current system has the wingers up high, covering the slot (Yak has been unfairly criticized for this too, despite Hemsky and Perron covering the same damn position). Every skilled forward turns the puck over, but Hall’s been called out on it because the goaltending craps the bed when he does it. Some of these narratives are getting out of hand. Hall turns the puck over, but he also back checks as hard as anyone else in the league and has improved this year at covering his man.

Awesome

31. nycoil says:

Marc Staal: concussion confirmed. Sorry to hear for him. Also, Rangers less likely to trade Girardi or Del Zotto now.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT, Love the Draisaitl talk… but Button was not “in the range” with Fucale. Button had him 9th OV and he went 36th.

That’s way off the range.

Button’s list is always worth reading, but it is highly idiosyncratic and probably a lot closer to a classic “saw him good” individual scout’s list than the rest of the big lists that rely on multiple sources of information.

And his last update when he had Draisaitl at 15… he was an extreme outlier.

33. Ca$h-Money! says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sorry Rom, have to disagree with you here. Hemsky will absolutely not fetch $4.5 million on the open market.

Hemsky is currently on pace for 48 points and a -29 rating.

The last season he eclipsed 50 points is 2008-2009,

I get it, he had some years with a good point per game pace but got hurt. In other years his production suffered because he got hurt but still played. For these reasons I like the player, but only at the right price.

If you pay Hemsky more than 4 million dollars per year, you had better not have 2 players ahead of him on the depth chart at RW. If you have Yak as 3RW in his 3rd year in the league because he can’t get by Hemsky, then he’s officially a bust.

I think you can get Hemsky at 3m per for 2 years. More than that is clearly a mistake. If you pay him that you can afford to play him as your 3rd line winger who is capable of moving up the depth chart to fill in when there are injuries or slumps. That’s all he’s worth and making that decision will be a crucial one for MacT this summer.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

B S: Every skilled forward turns the puck over, but Hall’s been called out on it because the goaltending craps the bed when he does it. Some of these narratives are getting out of hand.

Romulus Apotheosis:

That’s way off the range.

And his last update when he had Draisaitl at 15… he was an extreme outlier.

i was making a joke but Guy missed it. :-)

36. OilClog says:

Lois Lowe:

This is ridiculous, no insight or willingness to accept criticism? Really? Like he said you can make anyone look bad with a few clips or look like a world beater. All this talk about how Hall only thinks about himself on the ice as the first and only option is ridiculous. He’s always passing the damn puck! Or he wouldn’t be turning it over! The entire CBC staff and Ray can kick rocks. They’re trying to act like they’ve pin pointed the issue with the Oilers is Hall acting like a selfish player.. Horseshit.

37. FastOil says:

The problem the young Oiler forwards have is they aren’t all Toews.

HALL RNH EBERLE should not have to be the top line. They aren’t there now or yet or whatever. Right, wrong, this, that, it remains the fact for these players. It doesn’t mean they are bad or underachieving, but it does obligate them to listen and learn, get better.

When Gordon is back play him with Hemsky and Perron and give them the hard minutes. Not awful zone starts but hard match ups at least at home. Make HHE earn it back. Give Gagner thirds and make him earn better.

If Arcobello outplays Gagner, let the chips fall where they may while he can do it, meaning Gagner at 4C if he’s the 4th best center, or move him to wing. No one needs to be coddled at this point.

38. Tarkus says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

That’s way off the range.

And his last update when he had Draisaitl at 15… he was an extreme outlier.

FWIW, Button’s rankings were updated yesterday. Your boy Draisaitl is now in the top 10:

39. Gret99zky says:

Why isn’t Smyth on the list?

Or Gilbert?

Or Smid?

Or Penner?

Or Horcoff?

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: i was making a joke but Guy missed it.

Ah!

Your deadpan is rock solid. You read that like you would a traffic report. All facts.

The GM and the coach have been bad-mouthing Hall and Eberle since last summer for not being able to play any defense. MacT and Eakins have to blame somebody for the Oilers horrible start. The Edmonton media and blogosphere have been doing likewise.

If your bosses and your local official and unofficial media spread the false narrative that you are a defensive liability, why would anyone outside believe otherwise.

If James Neal and Chris Kunitz are so great defensively, why has Pittsburgh been lit up like a Christmas tree during the playoffs for goals against for the last few seasons.

But the thing that is ultimately killing Hall’s and Eberle’s chances at the Olympic team is the standings. If the Oilers were hanging with the pack, they would be in consideration. The fall back down the standings under Eakins has made the powers-that-be able to just ignore Hall and Eberle, because they wear that loser label.

Hall should be on the Olympic team.

42. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Draisaitl talk…

Enough with the German Gretzky.

Despite Eberle’s Swabian swagger, Saskatchewan sorted that out.

It is Edmon-Chuck not Edmon-Dorof

We need Slavs not Swabs, Russians not Prussians.

Most of all we need Pro’s not Prospects.

So I hope the 1st round pick has been traded for some not at all magic beans but good old fart machines.

Should we find a 2nd round pick I would choose Vladislav Kamenev. A big nasty Russian who is already injured. Either that or anyone from Finland.

43. B S says:

Bruce McCurdy: You mean like the one that the goaltending craps the bed for this player but not that one? Of the 14 forwards who have played half of the games, Hall ranks 7th in on-ice Sv%.

To put it into perspective, If Seguin had the same on ice sv% he’d be on for one more goal against than Hall in 2 more games. And Jamie Benn would have 2 more goals against. All guys who are supposed to be eating Halls lunch defensively.

I know Hall turns the puck over, he also has plenty of takeaways, but no-one ever shows the takeaways, they just show the turnovers that lead to goals. My point is that it is creating an overarching narrative of “Hall bad at Defense” in a player who ranks 4th in takeaways among left wings, Top on the Oil with Eberle, when the only story should be that he turns over the puck as much as Kessel, Thornton and a little more than Spezza (all guys who seem immune from the same criticism and who have a fair shot at the Olympics).

Edit:http://www.extraskater.com/players/on-ice?page=7&season=2013&min_gp=50&pos=F&sort=save_pct

44. bookje says:

I don’t have a problem with Hall’s comments. It’s not about taking criticism, but pushing back against media narratives. The media used to be bad with individuals like Cherry throwing their opinion out carelessly, but at least there was a sense of debate going on. Now, player narratives are developed in meeting rooms before being pushed forward on-air. Other media members see the narrative catching steam and they jump on board because that is more market friendly than challenging it. The mass population of fans eats it up because they are morons and the narrative is usually supported by some shreds of truth. Unfortunately, reality has left the room.

45. Caramel Obvious says:

godot10:

But the thing that is ultimately killing Hall’s and Eberle’s chances at the Olympic team is the standings.If the Oilers were hanging with the pack, they would be in consideration.The fall back down the standings under Eakins has made the powers-that-be able to just ignore Hall and Eberle, because they wear that loser label.

Hall should be on the Olympic team.

The first part of this is imaginary nonsense. None of it happened.

The second part (regarding the standings) is plausible. But if you consider the Subban situation you see that the standings certainly aren’t enough to put you on the team, why should they keep you off it?

The real explanation is that these people are stupid, stupid, human beings.

Imagine a Team Canada in which Kunitz makes the team and Subban doesn’t. Even if they get out of their own way and take Subban and leave Kunitz they are still stupid, stupid, people for considering anything else.

46. Caramel Obvious says:

bookje:
    I don’t have a problem with Hall’s comments.It’s not about taking criticism, but pushing back against media narratives.The media used to be bad with individuals like Cherry throwing their opinion out carelessly, but at least there was a sense of debate going on.Now, player narratives are developed in meeting rooms before being pushed forward on-air.Other media members see the narrative catching steam and they jump on board because that is more market friendly than challenging it.The mass population of fans eats it up because they are morons and the narrative is usually supported by some shreds of truth.Unfortunately, reality has left the room.

This. Our entire public discourse has the characteristic of “reality leaving the room.”

47. Rondo says:

Have you watched the Oilers? Gagner is worth very little at the moment maybe a 2nd rd player.

The whole team is overrated by the fans. A is A the record is their record.

48. Caramel Obvious says:

Rondo:
    Have you watched the Oilers?Gagner is worth very little at the momentmaybe a 2nd rd player.

The whole team is overrated by the fans. A is Athe record is their record.

That’s funny because I think the opposite conclusion is correct. Witness Cogliano (10 goals this year) traded for a second round pick (i.e. nothing).

Generally speaking, NHL quality players on bad teams are systematically undervalued (see Taylor Hall–but really half the team) while non-star players on good teams are systematically overvalued (see Kunitz).

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

This is a great point.

Media narratives are the business of the sloppy and lazy crew that dominate sports talk.

But I have a couple of push back points:

1. I don’t think media narratives happen the way you suggest. It is too proactive and malicious. Or, if you mean by “player narratives are developed in meeting rooms before being pushed forward on-air.”

some kind of “water cooler” situation, then I agree with you. This kind of thing is far more organic and horizontal than authored and vertical.

People see a few high-lights, form a quick opinion, scatter it to the wind, get reinforced, don’t bother offering skepticism or a researched opinion.

2. Campbell had a completely reasonable point. It wasn’t tossed off, or the product of some back room chatter. She observed the game, thought about it and offered her analysis, which included video to support her points.

I think that is all pretty reasonable.

Now, it is totally valid to challenge both her presentation on its merits and to challenge the way the media has bought into her presentation with such vigor and zero skepticism.

50. nycoil says:

The media seems to have singled out Hall and Subban as “not good enough defensively” to make Team Canada. In both cases, the arguments have been laid on top of tables made of balsa wood. Both players should be on the team, but if these so-called insiders know anything (and to be clear, I am not questioning their credibility, just their label), they are likely to be left out.

Actually, I think the case for Subban is stronger than Hall’s for the simple reason that Hall not only has to be one of the four best Canadian left wings, he has to be one of the 12 best Canadian forwards (and probably actually one of the 8 best left-handed Canadian forwards). Canada’s greatest asset is its centre depth and so you will see some guys slide over. It sucks for the young man, but it is what it is. Now if they take Kunitz instead of Hall to play on Sid’s wing, I don’t agree with it, but that’s the way they are going (like Seabrook with Keith) and it’s not Hall’s fault. It’s debatable then if they take Benn over Hall, certainly, but any other left wings, including Sharp going before Hall and I think the young man has a right to be mad.

At this point, I care more about the future of the Oilers and climbing out of this 8 year quagmire of frustration. If a snub lights the proverbial fire in #4 to drive him to be the best forward in the game not named Crosby or Stamkos, I’d be ok with Canada taking Rob Zamuner instead (okay, that’s going a bit too far. Kunitz).

51. Cobbler says:

B S,

52. David says:

VanOil: Enough with the German Gretzky.

Despite Eberle’s Swabian swagger, Saskatchewan sorted that out.

It is Edmon-Chuck not Edmon-Dorof

We need Slavs not Swabs, Russians not Prussians.

Most of all we need Pro’s not Prospects.

The problem is that the present predicament always clouds sound judgement. It’s hard in the midst of the present to objectively assess the future or the past. Right now it’s easy to say we should trade the first round pick for immediate help because we desperately need help now and can’t wait. Five years down the road when Draisaitl is tearing up the league, and the player we traded the pick for has left us we’ll curse the trade. But we’ll be forgetting how dire the situation was when we made the trade. As for me I’m in the hold onto the pick and add another impact player. I want the Oilers to have a good team forever not just some mystical “window”. Ask the sharks how winning the cup in their window went for them? And now they still have a good team cause they have a new wave to integrate in. Of course maybe if they had traded the Couture pick for one more piece they would’ve won. And the Oilers are a terribly bad team in need of help. But I have patience with them because they aren’t as bad as their record shows, and they do have several good prospects 1-2 years away not to mention their core aren’t even in their prime yet. Good times are coming! I just want them to last forever not be here for 5 years.

This is the longest post I’ve ever written here. Sorry for the length if you bothered to read it.

53. David says:

nycoil:
    The media seems to have singled out Hall and Subban as “notgood enough defensively” to make Team Canada. In both cases, the arguments have been laid on top of tables made of balsa wood. Both players should be on the team, but if these so-called insiders know anything (and to be clear, I am not questioning their credibility, just their label), they are likely to be left out.

At this point, I care more about the future of the Oilers and climbing out of this 8 year quagmire offrustration. If a snub lights the proverbial fire in #4 to drive him to be the best forward in the game not named Crosby or Stamkos, I’d be ok with Canada taking Rob Zamuner instead (okay, that’s going a bit too far. Kunitz).

I agree with you but I just have to add that everyone seems to think The Keith Seabrook paring is all Keith. But Seabrook deserves to make the National team just based on himself not his partner. Fantastic defenseman,

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Caramel Obvious: The first part of this is imaginary nonsense.None of it happened.

The second part (regarding the standings) is plausible.But if you consider the Subban situation you see that the standings certainly aren’t enough to put you on the team, why should they keep you off it?

The real explanation is that these people are stupid, stupid, human beings.

Imagine a Team Canada in which Kunitz makes the team and Subban doesn’t.Even if they get out of their own way and take Subban and leave Kunitz they are still stupid, stupid, people for considering anything else.

1. some ethereal “mix” of player types is crucial to winning
    2. “character” is a real, knowable attribute that one has or lacks in some easily intuited and communicated way.
    3. being around “past group success” is a strong indicator “future individual success”

55. nycoil says:

David,

Fair enough. Indeed he is good. As is Kunitz. Kunitz was a fine player on Anaheim before he ever lined up next to Crosby. Playing with Crosby did take him to a higher level, though. Seabrook is great. Is he better than Subban? Perhaps.

56. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

This is Hockey Canada’s biggest and longest lasting sin. And it’s utter stupidity. If you want the young player with no Olympic experience to sit out in favour of someone with Olympic experience and get their turn next time NEXT TIME THEY’LL HAVE NO SPECIAL OLYMPIC EXPERIANCE!

57. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The oddest thing about the whole issue from an EDM perspective is that HC and Oiler mgt. aren’t just actually the same people in some respects, there is very little evidence they disagree on the key questions:

1. some ethereal “mix” of player types is crucial to winning

It’s funny, because in my work I talk a lot about character (i.e. Plato/Aristotle) and yet these people make me feel like Hobbes taking on the schoolmen.

58. David says:

nycoil:
    David,

I think so but I still think Subban should be there.

59. FastOil says:

David: FastO

The thing is they don’t need to acquire a top player to win. They aren’t short on talent, they are short on ‘role players’.

All of the depth is left blue. If someone wants to make a fair deal for a league top D then do it. Of course they don’t so instead of looking past competent veteran players they need to get a few.

If your best 2 D are young you need solid if unspectacular partners for them. Maybe Ference is one but they could have had another instead of the high risk Russian experiments. Needing them to be good was risky and it didn’t work.

A veteran bottom 6 that could PK and defend top lines when the young top 6 craps the bed is what is needed. Gordon was one, but bringing Jones, Joennsu etc in wasn’t the right call, ineffective or also inexperienced.

In any field seeing through untrue old narratives and in truth looking for improvement is necessary to be really good. Somebody in the Batcave is screwing up and is stuck in a belief system that is not true. It could have been a lot better that it is, basically with only common sense and not thinking you know things others don’t get.

I often mention other GM’s that make deals. Holland doesn’t often, but then his is a happy house players want to go to. I think he also knows what a good player looks like and so gets effective players out of his decisions. The Oilers don’t enough and it kills them.

60. VanOil says:

David,

Good points David. I would counter that trading 1 years first round pick does not limit the ‘window’ to 5 years. Also if the team is indeed better than there current record than the pick will diminish in value i.e. top 12 not top 3.

I am advocating a jump start transaction that puts the Oilers in the window and trust the current prospects can keep them there. Specifically on Defense. Nurse for example is at least 5 years away from being a bonafide difference maker should he ever be one, the way Hall is now. If we can trade the 2014 pick for some one that can bridge those 5 year I am all for it.

The 2018 first round pick can develop slowly into a Hall replacement. The 2014 pick, should he be the best mid rounder ever, would be entering a bad hockey team with poor development practices if nothing is done on defense other than wait for the prospects. This is not about wining in the window or even staying there ala San Jose it is about getting there in the first place.

61. VanOil says:

I am not at all upset that Hall is unlikely to play for Canada. I accepted that in the spring during the WHC.

The good news, like his Dad giving him grief about Campbell’s very justified criticism, he can use it as motivation.

Eakins likes to coach 20+ individuals and wind them up in hallway chats. He has been struggling in the NHL v. the AHL as he can not use making the show as motivation. He can now use the Olympics and the likely Olympic snub to grab Hall by the curly hair and get him to play better.

As I predicted before the season, I expect Hall not to make the Olympics and then dominate the league from the Olympic break on, making the whole nation feel shame.

62. David says:

The thing is if the Oilers trade the pick during the season it will have less value because of it’s uncertainty. The window argument is just so thin that bothers me because right now isn’t even the window. We forget that Hall is 22 Nuge 21 and Yak 20. The “window starts when they are all in their prime which is still years away. I want to see more Pajaarvi + 2nd for Perron type deals rather than trading one of the big four or our first.

63. Bruce McCurdy says:

B S: I was thinking more by comparison to the rest of the forwards in the league, where he sits 310 overall out of 364.

Fair enough. I was thinking of the internal narrative on goaltending which I for one am tiring of. It’s not an expression I would use for the last 15 games, but yes in the first 15, so yes overall.

64. VanOil says:

@DarrenDreger: Some NHL teams could receive $45 mil when $20 mil in TV rights, $20 mil in rev share + $5 mil in escrow is factored. Floor is $52 mil.

Wow, even Phoenix and Florida should be able cobble together $7 million in hot dog sales to make the salary floor.

65. Bruce McCurdy says:

Cobbler: Totally agree with your assessment of the Hall-Duchene-Eberle line at the WHC. I recall being quite annoyed the Duchene never passed the puck, ultimately carrying it too long and creating a turnover or taking a low percentage shot. I viewed Duchene as the problem in that pairing, but somehow he comes off as a golden boy. Duchene looked like he was trying to do it all by himself, exactly what our young forwards have been accused of lately.

Ditto. I came out of those Worlds with a serious mad-on for Duchene and Ruff. Somehow Duchene wound up on both dspecial teams, Hall & Eberle on neither, so that every time there was a penalty either way Hall & Ebs saw the bench for those two minutes plus the next two, and were usually the third line to come out after the damn penalty was over. Plus you’re right about Duchene being a puck hog, it was unreal. Great skater, sure, but then again, so is Hal. Pass him the damn puck once in awhile.

Blood pressure went up by 30 over 20 while writing that paragraph, so I guess I still have a mad-on for Duchene and Ruff.

66. Cobbler says:

David,

The ultimate value of the Oilers pick will be determined by the specific opportunity that arises, not so much the time at which it might be dealt.

It is likely true that there just aren’t a lot of folks wheeling and dealing star players for high 1st at this point in the season. But if the right opportunity came along the 1st could have exceptional value during the season, particularly if the Oilers end up climbing in the standings.

I just think it is an over simplification or generalization that the pick will be worth more at the draft. You could argue its worth less as you have more teams willing to move picks at that time of year, there is a better read on the UFA market, etc.

I agree with you on the “age of the cluster” and that the window may not be here yet. There have been comparisons to Chicago/Pittsburgh and that the Oil should be in the playoffs this year if they are following that template. A nice comparison, wish it were that predictable. I don’t think that its a failing or a predictor of future events if the Oil don’t follow exactly the Chig/Pitt path.

67. FastOil says:

I want the Oilers to sign Hainsey and Gilbert as UFA’s to play as a temporary top pairing for next year.

Hainsey Gilbert
    Ference Petry
    Klefbom JS

Belov Potter

Klef because you know he’s playing up next year.

Edit:
    If they can find players as good and cheap that are meaner fine, got to keep Mr Lowe happy. If not take the best you can get.

68. denny33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

*****************************************************************************

Completely agree on MacArthur……

69. B S says:

wrt the Olympics: I blame Turino for the current state of Hockey Canada. A slow, talentless (hyperbole, but seriously they dragged in players with a foot in the grave to play that one) roster got it’s ass handed to it by a team that was faster, and better coached, but lacked the offensive tools to dominate. The conclusion wasn’t, get faster, more skilled players, it was that Canada needed to be better defensively. International hockey isn’t determined by the team that plays the best defense, it’s the team that scores the most, like it’s always been. Canada’s strength isn’t its defensive systems, it’s the goonery (which isn’t allowed in International hockey) and scoring. Hall and Subban (especially Subban) aren’t great defensively, and turn the puck over, but they can also score more than enough to make up for it. Especially on the bigger ice.

Regarding Seabrook, I’d put him on my roster, both because of Keith, and because he’s a leader, and a clutch player. Given how short Olympic tournaments are, and the one and done type of competition, I’m a fan of putting clutch players on my team (that’s why Eberle makes it in my books) as long as they’re also very good players.

70. denny33 says:

godot10,

Hall should be on the Olympic team.
    **********************************************************************

Hall is a force offensively….

Hall is bad defensively ( turnover machine ) that even people in here and in the stands in Edmonton recognized the familiar 1-3 rushes or the lob cross -ice passes in the neutral zone.

Again, not even Taylor’s fault young and prolific. Yak is the same player ….1 on 3 rushes all day long.

Watching Nicushkin is the same way….prolific talent so used to dominating players.

When Dallas Eakins was told God speed by fellow coaches upon taking the job in Edmonton – it was not because he had to impart defensive lessons to Boyd Goroon….

Taylor Hall has improved this year in this area this year and Dallas does deserve credit for this…

But make no mistake – easy pickings for Cassie Campbell…

71. Lois Lowe says:

I think the issue with Hall is that his fancy stats have taken a serious dip this year. If he is outshooting the opposition like he did last year, he is spending far less time in his own zone and his weaknesses become less glaring.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is pretty interesting:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers goalie consultant –> MT @slyrodrigue Off to Finland to work with our prospect Frans Tuohimaa in HPK. pic.twitter.com/LKXljHZQjQ

First I’ve heard of the team having any investment in the player since signing the ELC. I gather they want a good look this year to decide whether or not to bring him over next year in some capacity.

Not showing well so far this season, 12 games, .881 in the Liiga

73. cabbiesmacker says:

“”You can make a guy who had five points look like the worst player in the world with a couple of STATS”"

I fixed it for you Mr LT Blogger Guy. No charge my friend.

And Matt Stajan? Really LT? How long is this team supposed to stay shitty man? sheesh.

74. TheBusDriver86 says:

MacT wont trade Gagner, he wont break his word like that. Now he could trade a winger and move Gagner to the wing. I could see that happening, and hope it does.

75. Big Dan says:

a. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Gagner interview in between periods at HNIC. They asked him when he thinks he will be back to form after his injury.

He said he already is, is feeling good, and has been contributing for a while now.

9 points in 18 games. -7. HORRIBLE defensively. I thought he was brutal against the Flames, one of the worst players out there. He has to go, seriously. The man’s delusional.

b. I also am surprised nobody noticed how Dubnyk basically went on his knees in OT and on the Stempniak goal waaay too early. Just let the shooter pick his spot. The HNIC crew made it sound like he was playing great, but I thought he looked shaky all night. We would have won with Bryz or Bachman in goal.

c. The Oilers need a guy (as Cherry keeps alluding to, can’t believe I’m agreeing with him) who can “feather” it in. Sometimes, against Colorado, you can burn around and score at will.

More often, you can’t get to the front of the net because a team like Calgary is keeping you to the outside and blocking all the passing lanes. The Oilers kept trying their side to side passes, and it only worked with 10 seconds left. They tried deking through everybody and turned the puck over – Eakins was right.

What they needed to do was have a D fake a shot if need be, watch the Flame go down, and thread it just over him at the net. Or just shoot it quickly and catch the goalie offguard after it goes through a sea of bodies. Nothing fancy – Detroit does it all the time. Don’t blast it as that causes turnovers. Just snake some knuckleballs through and have a couple guys go the net for a screen, deflection or rebound. Score ugly goals; they all count.

Very frustrating because I almost won $50 on my Proline for predicting the Toronto-Ottawa tie and Florida win over Detroit. The EASY game to predict was Oilers over the tired, sick Flames. Reto Berra is not a good goalie but the Oilers made him look good.

76. Bank Shot says:

Your team for next season has more real players on it then this year so that’s not bad LT. I wish you would dream a little bigger though.

The Oilers need to acquire some solid players to move forward in the standings.

Legwand at center and trading away Gagner would help immensely.

Add a Phanuef plus an Orpic, or Matt Greene. They need to add at least two more top 4 defensemen without subtracting. Been saying that forever.

Add a veteran winger that can kill penalites and work with Gordon on the third line.

Do all that and the Oilers have a hope at playoffs. Do some and at least they are making the right steps.

Bank Shot:

The Oilers need to acquire some solid players to move forward in the standings.

Legwand at center and trading away Gagner would help immensely.

Add a veteran wingerthat can kill penalites and work with Gordon on the third line.

78. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Well I think we need to be realistic about who is signing here. I began the process with PHaneuf on the roster, but suspect he’ll be signed before free agency. And I do encourage people to take a look at Stajan, there’s some nice improvement in his game.

Stajan had a whale of a game against the Oilers. Although I thought Giordano and Butler* were their two best players. The goal post iron had a helluva game too.

*I might be thinking of Russell here.

79. Andy P says:

Realistically, I don’t see MacT not letting Dubnyk go, nor do I see him letting Gags go either. But I don’t know of any promises not to move Gags to wing. I could see him trading Hemsky go in the summer but with the way he is playing now, I do hope he does not.

I suppose he would hen choose between Hemsky and Yak, I suppose he would keep Yak as one of his top 9 or 8 or 5?

80. Jon K says:

I keep seeing smart people suggest that the Oilers could acquire Ehrhoff, but I can’t see it happening.

Ehrhoff’s contract sees him paid $22 million of his $40 million contract by the end of this season. It seems exceedingly unlikely that Buffalo would move him after paying him over half of the cash he’s owed.

As well, because he’s a 7+ year contract from before the new CBA, if he retires or defects, Buffalo will have to pay a cap penalty. I think this is another reason why Buffalo might be hesitant to send him to another team where they’ll be able to exercise less control over him.

I agree 100% that Ehrhoff would be an immense boon to the Oilers defense, I just can’t see him being moved anywhere for the above reasons.

———————-

Re: Hall quotations.

Hall has starting firing back at the media. Quite frankly, I think the team should be muzzling him.

It’s a shame all of LT’s old posts have lost the comments. I remember commenting at the start of Hall’s first season that he had a lot of maturing to do, both on and off the ice, before he was a leader for this team. In my humble, partial opinion, I still think that’s true.

I’m legitimately concerned that, as soon as Hall starts firing back at the media, we are going to see the knives come out for him. If that starts happening we very well may see something akin to the Flames-Phaneuf saga unfold in Edmonton.

81. RexLibris says:

Stajan is interesting.

I feel Arcobello *might* be able to become a 2C if they can’t upgrade with a bigger body via trade, and Gordon is a very nice 3C which means that adding Stajan pushes Lander back or replaces him outright (perhaps freeing him up for trade).

That being said, I think I’d go with Lander for two reasons: he’s younger and his ceiling is still largely a matter of conjecture whereas Stajan is closer to a 30pt center, fewer if he becomes your 4C with appropriate linemates. The second reason being that while he has some nice underlying stats, he’s been kicked around for some time and I wonder about adding someone like that to this group.

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised to see him sign in Europe this off-season. Unless the Flames trade Backlund in which case they may just decide to keep him around for one more year until Reinhart, Granlund, or Knight are ready for prime time.

82. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

The idea that Hall is not in consideration for LW on the Olympic squad is ridiculous to me. I personally factor in three elements if I look to the roster. None of these centre on offence.

A. Speed – the Olympic ice will expose the heavier footed player and systems that want to favour purely heaviness or experience over the need to cover gaps on a bigger surface will suffer. Under this consideration, Hall sits top of my list for what he brings. Milan Lucic . Give me a break. Will get scorched in an uptempo, open ice environment like this. Rob Blake, who was a fine player, struggled on the larger surface particularly when contrasted to a Rob Neidermeyer and his ability to cover ice.

B. Environmental Adaptation – Taylor Hall does not suffer from any character flaws. This guy is a born leader and fierce competitor. Amongst a group of elite and experienced peers, I think a Taylor Hall flourishes as an understudy. This happened for Mario Lemieux in 1988 and for Eric Lindros. Few players fit this criteria, but a special young player that needs the kind of environment an event like the Olympics create will find another gear and go to another level. I don’t believe for a second this guy won’t do absolutely everything asked of him in an environment like this. He will not be a liability. Canada will see its next generation of greatness emerge.

C. Investing for the future – yes, we have to play to win in Sochi, but there needs to be an eye on the next Olympics and developing experience at the same tome. Again, Hall falls in this bucket. He’s ahead of a Marleau or Kunitz or Nash on my list for this very reason. Give him the exposure now and it has huge dividends for our needs four years from now. He won’t be a passenger either. He will contribute in a meaningful way.

Hall seems a victim of his environment I’m afraid. It’s the converse of Kunitz who is a benefactor. Remember Rob Brown and bring attached at Lemieux’s hip. Pretty useless without the greatness beside him on the line. Maybe not as extreme for Kunitz, but for Christmas sakes, the guy is lining up with Crosby. Kunitz isn’t the same player without him. Nor is anyone for that matter.

83. VanOil says:

In trying to figure out who got the boot from OKC after BTOs assignment (Rimmer back to the CHL) I came across this up coming promotion:

December 20 is Barons Night with $2 draft beer and $1 hot dogs from 6-8 p.m. Following the game, fans can come to the ice to shoot a puck from center ice into an empty net. Those who are successful will receive a coupon from the Barons and Schwab Meats for a holiday ham.

Despite my earlier tongue in cheek protestations against Swabian players I am partial to a good German Ham. But after spending half my Rexall food and drink budget on $2 beer and $1 hot dogs I would likely not even be able to see the net from center ice. No Ham for me. I hope Willis provides a play by play of this event. Cheap beer followed by Americans on Ice what could go wrong.

84. prairieschooner says:

LT
    Just making stuff up and we are all off to the races.
    It reminded me of the John Wayne in The Alamo when he wrote the letter himself to get his Tenniseeyuns riled up.
    When he told them he wrote it himself they didn’t care they were mad at the Santa Anna anyway

85. prairieschooner says:

Sorry for the poor gramma
    Fortunately she is on the mend

86. Ribs says:

Caught the highlights from the VAN-CAR game and it looks like the Canes were leaving the point open for shots all night. I can see Schultz and/or Larsen playing a big role in the outcome of this game .

87. Ribs says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 4m
    Ryan Smyth (neck) will not play for #Oilers vs. Carolina tonight.

88. Ribs says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m
    Oilers prrojected lines: Hall-Gagner-Yakupov, Perron-RNH-Eberle, Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky, Gazdic-Lander-Jones

89. Ribs says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m
    Projected D-Pairings: N. Schultz-J. Schultz, Ference-Larsen, Belov-Potter. Dubnyk starts

Looks like the clock struck midnight on this tour for Marincin, probably a good thing. Send him back until the deadline and see how things look at that time.

91. gcw_rocks says:

Take LT’s list, drop Hemsky, weaver, and Stajan, and add Phaneuf ($7.5m) and Grabovski ($4.0m) and I think you have a heck of a team.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Great news!

Get a taste. Leave on the Costanza high note. Report to your friends about the benefits of NHL life. Come back hungry.

So, was Smyth the forward who was maybe ailing recently? or, is this a new thing?

Glad to see Belov back in.

93. theres oil in virginia says:

Considering how Chorney, Plante, Teubert, etc looked in their callups, I’d say Marincin fared quite well. Fedun too for that matter.

94. B S says:

gcw_rocks:

Agree about Grabovski though, hard to convince me he would have asked for more than $4 mil. from Edmonton this season.

95. Thiru says:

I think Hall being left off the national team is folly.

He definitely needs to work on his d-zone play, but he goes hard for pucks and has elite NHL speed, MCL sprain or no.

I’d be very surprised to see him left off the team, same with Subban.

96. justDOit says:

Was looking forward to catching the end of the Habs/Kings game, but no. Another west > east game.

Funny how their Vezina caliber goalie goes down, and some guy who mowed lawns last summer now has back-to-back shutouts.

Hall! Nice goal.

98. Thiru says:

Taylor Hall: That was delicious!

99. Thiru says:

Great compete level so far.

100. VanOil says:

Amused by Debursk “Ganger’s dish to Hall for the snipe after the Yak shovel

101. DeadmanWaking says:

Boom! Three seconds after I get the audio up.

Just laughed myself silly. Erowid is this web site where every second post begins like this: My friend gave me a bag of pills. I didn’t know what they were, so I took them all.

I had PE next, which was convenient since I had a huge amount of energy. I ran out of the Spanish room and ran all the way to PE. In the locker room I found that I couldn’t really articulate correctly.

I tried to describe what I was on, but my brain just wouldn’t put together complete sentences. I managed to get the message across that I had taken some unknown stimulant. My friend (let’s call him Pete) decided that I needed to be punched for being such an idiot and socked me in the shoulder, which felt extremely good. It was like a small orgasm in my arm.

In PE I completed my exercises in record time, and began playing bad mitten.

Okay, that last phrase came pretty close to a literal ROTFL. Sounds a bit like a scene cut from The Truman Show. Maybe it’s on the special edition DVD.

102. RexLibris says:

Saw Gerbe on the bench there and it made me laugh thinking about size/skill. Hockey db has him at 5’6″, so if we translate that to actual size that’d be, what? 5’4″?

103. fuzzy muppet says:

Anyone have a working stream.? I feel like torturing myself

104. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s a strong guy going down real easy

105. OilClog says:

Dubnyk’s play is similar to a pong battle, swallow up that puck man!

106. hunter1909 says:

Oilers play by play guy sounds like he’s taken a handful of Kevin Lowe’s Katz special supply meds before the game. Sounds about 500% better with the new slower pace than the obligatory stiff calling the color side of the broadcast.

107. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ference and Shultz with bad positioning there.
    Why the hell was he way out blocking a point shot on the PK?

108. RexLibris says:

Anyone else nostalgic for the old Roloson puck-flip out of the zone? That would have been something to see with a player like Hall.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is KQ fighting the flu or something?

I know he’s usually got that whole old timey deep voice call going… but usually with a lot more verve and tempo even by those standards.

110. RexLibris says:

Looks like a bloodbath in Dallas tonight. Chicago up 5-0 midway through the 2nd.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  112. Henry says:

Nice shot kid

113. RexLibris says:

Nice set up and great job by Yakupov in finding the open space.

114. Pouzar says:

Hall hates Yak. I just saw it.

115. hunter1909 says:

MEMO TO KATZ: Firing Kevin Lowe, Steve Smith, or Bucky won’t cause you any grief with the important Boys on the Bus. After all, they’re winners who don’t need to go public and brag like Klowe does, and probably laugh at the ineptitude shown by the current regime as much as anyone else.

Klowe obviously knows how to survive without pressure, but this is getting old.

PS: Dallas Eakins is a winner. Great hire.

116. Andy P says:

B S: You’re definitely not the only one to suggest him (LT I’m looking at you) so this isn’t directed at you personally, but Hell no to Phaneuf. You want to take the biggest DB in the NHL and put him in the same room as a bunch of mentally fragile players. MELTDOWN, will be back to slogging through the hell that was the beginning of this season, but with less give-a-damn, and more sense of entitlement from the players. As a D-man Phaneuf is worth ~$5-5.5 mil. as a person he’s worth nothing.

I thought Grab was demanding a 2C role and a problem in the locker room?

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

There’s our ES Yak!

118. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Hall hates Yak. I just saw it.

Yeah, he put that pass slightly behind him just to be a jerk. ;)

119. OilClog says:

There’s Hall being his typical “me first” self. You call that hustle and well played!?! Lol

120. Kitchener says:

All three #1s are growing up.

121. RexLibris says:

Nice pressure there.

122. RexLibris says:

Where was this fight Saturday night?

123. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov’s going to score 10 points tonight.

I can only stand watching this game if the oilers are ahead. There are 2006 reasons to dislike the Hurricanes.

124. Thiru says:

Holy crap Yakupov!

125. Andy P says:

If its like this every night, 60 minutes a night, then we may have the makings of a competitive team?

126. RexLibris says:

Oilers are killing it by metrics so far. FF% is 77.3% Oilers. CF% is 63.6.

Puck retrieval by the blue looks quicker and stronger as well.

127. SK Oiler Fan says:

N Shultz is lost tonight. Some smart plays by Yak at both ends. Hall is flying

128. RexLibris says:

Beautiful backchecking by Arcobello. He may not get a point tonight, but I hope he earns a fistful of EakinsBucks to spend on ice time.

129. RexLibris says:

Geez. I didn’t even see that go in!

130. RexLibris says:

I like Joensuu’s edge tonight.

131. fuzzy muppet says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks. Cable’s out til Friday :(

They look good this first period. Lets see if they can go 60 full minutes

132. Pouzar says:

Hemsky looks like he’s making those rushes in a video game.

133. hags9k says:

First game I’ve watched in a while…The top 2 lines are feelin it. Is CAR tired? Why do we look good?

134. Rebilled says:

Good for #93

135. RexLibris says:

hags9k:
    First game I’ve watched in a while…The top 2 lines are feelin it.Is CAR tired?Why do we look good?

They played Vancouver was it last night or the night before? I suspect this is just one of those bad 1st road periods for Carolina.

136. hags9k says:

Natural hat trick for the #1s. I echo that was a nice back check by ArcoD2.

137. Pouzar says:

The skill on full display in that period. MacT has to get some guys to score the dirty ones and some help on the backend and we’re laughing.

138. RexLibris says:

Off topic – jeez, they weren’t kidding when they said Ekblad could grow a playoff beard at 17. That kid is what they call “hirsute”.

139. hags9k says:

Hemmer just flip that backhand on net! He didn’t realize he had Ward’s jock in the corner already.

140. RexLibris says:

Fancystats for the end of the 1st are 63.2% CF and 74.1% FF. Oilers riding an 18.2 sh% and winning in the FO circle.

141. VanOil says:

Carolina looked this bad last night as well. But the Oilers are doing a better job at kicking there buts than Van. Long may it continue.

142. Kitchener says:

Pouzar:
    Hemsky looks like he’s making those rushes in a video game.

If that puck goes in, it’s the prettiest Oiler goal of the game.

Wait… if Yak’s post goes in, that’s the prettiest goal of the game.

Wait… if Perron’s tip goes in, that’s the prettiest goal of the game.

Ah, shit.

143. OilClog says:

Hemmer was robbed goal of the century there, so close to unbelievable.

144. RexLibris says:

Can we start a write-in campaign to get Eberle nominated for an Emmy, or whatever acting award is given to commercial talent?

145. spoiler says:

Quinn is definitely sick.

146. OilClog says:

Watching a Gagner interview after the injury is rough, Kassian is a dick.

147. crude says:

The day is near when our 1 line is three 1st overalls. That is a load. For real. 4-93-64 (likely changed to #10 next year). Wow.

Seems like Nuge went out to get that PP goal against back himself. He was really flyin after that. Put him up with the flying aces tonight.

A friend and I were discussing the tough but necessary trading of 89 (a good soldier, but a peace time soldier nonetheless) and 14. Perron with a big 2way C and Hemmer could really tow the line.

Ebs, is a gem – bonafide gem, but I think the fan base would put away the kleenex when they saw what a balanced tough line-up could do.

Or hell, keep him, but a a better 2C option is needed.

148. RexLibris says:

There’s the dirty goal.

That was nice, Joensuu scores from the Smyth areas.

150. OilClog says:

Unicorns!!

151. spoiler says:

What work by Arcobello.

152. fuzzy muppet says:

Wow. Arco is living proof size isn’t everything. He’s smart and tough regardless of stature

153. justDOit says:

You know I wish that I had

Jesse’s goal

I wish that I had

Jessie’s goal

154. RexLibris says:

If Eberle could pick up even 50% of Perron’s dick-ishness he’d be even more valuable.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jeez. KQ sounds like he’d be more than happy to die right now. Whatever’s ailing him sounds terrible. They couldn’t get a replacement? Jack Michaels? No one should have to work through that.

156. spoiler says:

Debrusk is doing his best to take over more of the talking. Good linemate.

157. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice to see the front of the opposition net being a safe haven for a change.
    Carolina doesn’t have much beyond Skinner and E Staal. J Staal is a shadow of what he was. Injuries do that.
    Heard Rutherfurd was ready to blow it up. Any C or D that might be interesting and available there?

158. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    What work by Arcobello.

Yep. I just hope Eakins took note.

159. hunter1909 says:

“Jiffy Lube” sign right behind the Hurricane goalie, lol.

160. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    You know I wish that I had

Jesse’s goal

I wish that I had

Jessie’s goal

You win the christmas confectionary of your choice!

161. Kitchener says:

Eakins job is to find players on the bench who will put their foot on the Canes’ throats. The Oil body lingo looks suddenly too comfortable with the 4-1 score.

162. RexLibris says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Ruuttu (too many u’s?)

Beyond that I’d have to check.

163. Pouzar says:

crude:

Ebs, is a gem– bonafide gem, but I think the fan base would put away the kleenex when they saw what a balanced tough line-up could do.

Or hell, keep him, but a a better 2C option is needed.

164. RexLibris says:

hunter1909:
    “Jiffy Lube” sign right behind the Hurricane goalie, lol.

Should be Staples “That was easy”.

;)

165. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You win the christmas confectionary of your choice!

But lately something’s changed
    It ain’t hard to define

166. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This 26-6-83 line is pretty interesting.

spoiler:
    Debrusk is doing his best to take over more of the talking. Good linemate.

Indeed. Gene could help out too… in-game puns!

167. hags9k says:

Forget Taylor Hall, somebody pass Kevin Quinn a pack of Halls.

Haha Roms beat me to it…He sounds hurting.

168. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Trade Ebs? come on now. Might want to listen to LT’s interview with Parkatti today. The man pushes the river big time.

Interesting, I’ll have to give it a listen. I had a “debate” the other day with a Flames fan that Eberle was perpetually getting soft zone starts and Qualcomp and still struggling to keep his head above water.

My take is that his offensive possession numbers ARE the defensive side of his game as well as his positioning for the outlet pass and creating an option for defensive puck support. But then what do I know, like I said I was arguing with a Flames fan.

169. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    This 26-6-83 line is pretty interesting.

Indeed. Gene could help out too… in-game puns!

Give the man a bottle of Screech and he’ll be in Bristol fashion in no time.

170. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You win the christmas confectionary of your choice!

Ooh – a raven’s egg cake, please, or turtle brain toffee.

171. hunter1909 says:

Oilers play better with a 3 goal lead.

172. Romulus Apotheosis says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

But lately something’s changed
    It ain’t hard to define

I play along with the charade,
    there doesn’t seem to be a reason to change
    You know, I feel so dirty
    When they start scoring cute

173. RexLibris says:

Something else I noticed with the cap going up next season is some of my sheepishness about the Ference contract number has subsided. By contract’s end I suspect he’ll be a 3rd pairing/HS option, but the price tag on a possible $80 million cap is far better than $64 million.

174. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I play along with the charade,
    there doesn’t seem to be a reason to change
    You know, I feel so dirty
    When they start scoring cute

I’ve been funny; I’ve been cool with the lines
    Ain’t that the way love’s supposed to be?

175. RexLibris says:

You could see that coming with the way E. Staal was throwing his weight around.

176. spoiler says:

Gagner HUA.

177. Ribs says:

What in the world was Gagner doing there?

178. Alsker says:

That was ugly, good video review for tomorrow as what not to do.

179. hags9k says:

Shit. Cmon boys don’t take your foot off Quinn’s, I mean the Canes’ throat.

180. crude says:

Nice idea Sam… what the?

181. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Good thing 89 made sure to crash the net on that goal!

182. spoiler says:

Good play by Larsen to play the man behind the net and hold the check.

183. fuzzy muppet says:

What a shocker: 89 takes the wrong man

184. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Good thing 89 made sure to crash the net on that goal!

You have to go to the tough areas to score. No area tougher than inside your own crease.

185. SK Oiler Fan says:

fin awful by 89. bails out on the clear attempt, stands there watching in the corner, then proceeds to interfere with his own goalie while allowing his man a free shot.
    He used to lose alot of battles, now he’s not even interested in the battle.

186. VanOil says:

I was kind of hoping the the Oilers would be so far a head I could check the new girl out on NCIS. But no much like the CFL no lead is safe with these guys.

187. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: Ooh – a raven’s egg cake, please, or turtle brain toffee.

I don’t know what either of these things are.

188. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Responsibility and accountability night and day between Arcobello and Gagner. Can’t reconcile the bias to Gagner. The guy has been luggage out there since he came back.

189. Bulging Twine says:

Not too sure Gagner has a clue in his own end

190. VanOil says:

Potter and Belov have been struggling to get the puck moving out of the zone all period. Gags checking the goal though is probably not there fault.

191. spoiler says:

Every time I see that RNH goal I think to myself that he has to go to his knees to keep the puck on the net. If he hadn’t, it would’ve went over like all his other attempts from that distance (< 10 ft).

192. crude says:

Ya, he’s a gem. A 6 mil gem? Pushin the river is a valuable quality though. Gags just pushes Dubnyk’s head when a shot is comin. What THE fuck?

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

oh and he’s right back out there with the 1 line. Should be Arco’s spot based on tonights play.
    no accountability

194. Kitchener says:

27 & 94 would be nice to have in the line-up right now.

51 – here’s an opportunity to show your stuff.

195. RexLibris says:

Oilers sh% up to 26.7.

196. RexLibris says:

Kitchener,

I agree. Laraque would be very useful right now.

197. Brackenburied says:

Once you get past the fear of him keeling over mid sentence, I kind of like Quinn’s understated delivery tonite.

198. jake70 says:

I can see why 89 is getting piled on…..man……that play developed right in front of him and he still picks the wrong way to go, toward the puck, not his man.

199. crude says: