MERRY CHRISTMAS

Merry Christmas! It’s a little after 7am as I write this, early Christmas morning (coffee not yet brewed) and I wanted to say hello and wish you the best. It’s been a grand 24 hours, we had so much fun last night playing Taboo—just the four of us and Oh my God we laughed so hard.

Our kids are young adults now, but I’m still surprised to hear some of the words they use and heartened by their humor and their genuine affection for each other. You know, someday it’ll be just those two and their families, and you can’t just assume they’ll stay in touch but the ties that bind run deep and it’s good to see them laughing and having fun. It’s difficult to live in a house with two teenagers, there’s a lot of drama and I’ve spent much of the decade in trouble while never having any idea why—I don’t think I’m as cool as I was when they were 5. :-)

That’s okay.

My daughter and I have been talking so much lately, it’s my best gift this Christmas. I missed her, even though we live in the same house. Kids get busy and sometimes in life you kind of get stuck in a rut with the people you care about and have the same conversation for what seems like years. This year, the communication is in full swing and frankly I’m absolutely loving it. She’s such a cool kid, even though she’s a pile of work. My buddy Troy told me the day she was born that Gemini would make my life more interesting, and lordy that’s true. Anyway, she’s my daughter and it’s great to have her back. I missed her so much.

The boy is rolling along, he’s the exact opposite I can see him coming from a mile away. He’s so much like me, if he doesn’t care about something there’s simply no way to fake it. Last night, he was so funny and I was struck by just how much he’s grown as a person this year. More sure of himself, where he’s going, what he wants. I’m glad he’s my son.

Jo stayed up until four this morning, don’t know why but she couldn’t settle. I don’t know what time she’ll wake up but no one gets to open a present until she does. We’re at a point in our lives where we are actively planning the next step, the one without the kids, but she’s been avoiding the subject lately. I’ll let that breathe for awhile, I didn’t want to talk about it at Easter and honestly it’s not something either of us are looking forward to in the future.

It’ll be fine.

The dog is fine, Ziggy is the most awesome dog in history ever. What a smart dog. I can’t believe she’s two already, time flies.

I notice there are more gifts for Dad under the tree than in past years, and none of them look like a pack of white socks. I have 400,000 pairs of white socks from their childhood, and of course everyone wears them. I got the Bobby Orr book for my birthday, so maybe one of the gifts is that new album by the Band. It doesn’t matter really, it’s the thought that counts.

Merry Christmas, and God bless you and your family. It is the best day.

55 Responses to "MERRY CHRISTMAS"

1. Genjutsu says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all Oiler fans and theirs.

May the new year bring us all happiness.

And may it deliver the Oil from the years spent wandering the desert.

2. regwald says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family LT. All the best to all us suffering Oilers fans. Hope sprjngs enternal. Maybe, just maybe 2014 will be better for our Oilers. And last, but not leasr thanks so much for this blog. We would all be so much less without your optimism, your music and your amazing taste in fine women.

3. Cactus says:

Merry Christmas LT. Thanks for continuing to give us the great gift of your blog. All the best to you and the family.

4. theres oil in virginia says:

I echo the above sentiments. Glad your family are together for Christmas and glad you appreciate it in the present rather than the past. Thanks for sharing so much of your family with us.

Thanks for all the work you put into this site. Thanks to all for contributing as well. I love you guys – you’re like a bunch of buddies I’ve never met. Merry Christmas from the hills of SW Virginia.

5. bookje says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

6. FastOil says:

Merry Christmas everyone. God Bless, may you and yours have peace and joy these holidays.

7. flyfish1168 says:

LT Merry Christmas , thank for running such an awesome website. Oiler fans on this site are so passionate about our team. For me I hope we keep developing our players and make it fun. Merry Christmas to everyone.

8. JohnnyRocket says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family and all the posters and readers of this blog. This is a light in the dark for many Oilers fans. Thank-you for that. And thank-you for all the reminders to read a book this season. It has kept this fan sane. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

9. Andy P says:

Merry Christmas everyone, played a great game of monopoly last night, my daughter just got up early to make Mom breakfast in bed. The butterball turkey and the ham have been defrosting in the fridge and are now out on the kitchen counter, getting ready for the big family feast this afternoon that will have two more unborn grandchildren attending!

Take Care all!

10. wordbird says:

merry christmas all!

11. hags9k says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone who shares this wonderful corner of the Al Gore. Thanks for sharing LT, my girl is 4 and the boy is 18 months and watching them this morning was as good as it gets…

Have a great holiday season all, one of my resolutions for the new year will be to attempt to contribute something of substance here from time to time, as opposed to just piling on with my run of the mill game day rants…

CHEERS

GOILERS!

12. justDOit says:

May peace and happiness be with all of you for the holidays – well, at least until the puck drops in Cowtown on Friday!

13. magisterrex says:

Merry Christmad, LT. Thank-you got the heartwarming post. May your Day continue to hold as much value as your Eve!

14. littleconer says:

Merry Christmas to you, LT, your family, Woodguy, and all the other long-suffering Oilers fans.

15. Factotum says:

Merry Christmas, and thanks, LT. Hope you and yours have a wonderful day.

16. Vince says:

There was an LP size gift under my tree before we left for the inlaws and a few weeks ago I did mention those how cool it is that HMV had big pink and stage fright among the 100 or so vinyls in the bak of the store. We’ll see after dinner.

17. Psyche says:

Merry Christmas to all! LT, thank you for the terrific daily reads. All the best to you and your family.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Merry Merry All.

Very touching tales LT. Enjoy the day. It is the best.

19. barry.moore23 says:

Merry Christmas to LT, all that work behind the scenes here, and all my Oiler friends. Peace from Illinois USA. Go Oil. B.

20. Ray Donovon Oiler says:

Merry Christmas from Stratford, PEI, long time listener….yada, yada, yada. Decided to join the grown up conversation and share my love and concerns about our Oilers and the dilemmas MacT faces.

Have been with the oilers through the ITV days, my junior days, the cups, the lack of money, 2006 run(spit) and now the greatest test of our times.

This site has always been part of the solution and we need solutions. So the best to you Lowetide, Steve Smith, BDHS and Woodguy in the new year. I look forward to giving my 1 cent (island transfer payment) now and then.

21. Pouzar says:

Merry Xmas LTers.

22. Clarence Oveur says:

Merry Christmas to all from an Ohioan living in Thunder Bay.

23. David S says:

But, but, but…WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN???

Merry Xmas Allan and all you guys at LT’s house of Corgi.

Merry Christmas LT.

Stayed up until 1am putting together a table for my 4 year old daughter that had 98 pieces.

76 of them were fasteners that I had to do by hand because my cordless was at work.

Loved every minute of it because after years of listening to you talk about your kids and how the moments like these can be gone in a flash, I’m taking my time and enjoying everything about it.

Thanks for your continued wisdom on what’s important in life Al.

I hope I’m smart enough to hear it and internalize it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Also,

Great article in Washington Post on FancyStats

Shows how deeply they are used in the NHL already, and the surfact is just being scratched.

If anyone denies their use by NHL teams, just send them this link:

26. Bruce McCurdy says:

Seasonal wishes to you, Allan, and to all the regulars who hang out in your comments section. And irregulars too, for that matter.

27. TheOtherJohn says:

Al sincere thanks for all the work that goes into this blog. Thanks also to so many that contribute so much to the comments section.

Best of the season to each of you and your families

28. Mr DeBakey says:

Merry Christmas y’awl,
    May your day be merry and bright.

Cabbage rolls are in the crock pot,
    turkey into the oven next.

29. Bar_Qu says:

Merry Christmas to all. May thus coming year exceed the one which has passed & may God richly bless you & your family. Enjoy the day & I look forward to reading more of your gripes & suggestions in the near future.

30. eidy says:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all. Having kids age 5 and 7 is awesome you get to live the magic again…. Although I think my son is just playing along for me now. Christmas at their age was always in Maidstone with grandma and grandpa E, and cousins, and aunts and uncles, and a trip to the rink, then to the red rooster.

Years have passed as well as those two fantastic individuals, but the bonds remain and we have traded in the white snow for white sand and the making of new memories with a new generation. Maybe I will sit the kids down in a few days to explain Corsi to them. It’s easier to learn things right before they really start listening to the crew on CBC.

Happy holidays

31. Clay says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you LT, and all the posters here who make this site so interesting.

32. jp says:

Thanks for all the work you put into this blog LT. It brightens pretty much every day of our lives a little (even after an ugly loss).

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else. Enjoy the holidays!

eidy:
    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.Having kids age 5 and 7 is awesome you get to live the magic again…. Although I think my son is just playing along for me now. Christmas at their age was always in Maidstone with grandma and grandpa E, and cousins, and aunts and uncles, and a trip to the rink, then to the red rooster.

Happy holidays

Tons of memories for me of Maidstone. I used to get the Star-Phoenix from the Greyhound stop everyday, and if there were parcel deliveries I’d do that, too. I’d do my route on Saturdays and go to Ma’s cafe or Star (the Leung family was very kind to my family, very sweet people. I had such a crush on Sandra Leung, she smelled SO good I can still remember the feeling when she’d walk in the room wearing that perfume) and then deliver the paper.

The nicest house in town was either dr. Marfleet or the Meier’s house, they owned the MacLeods hardware store on main street where I bought all my records unless we went to Lloyd. There was the garage on the corner of main, then Star Cafe, then MacLeods, then I don’t remember but there was a building and teachers used to board there. Across the street same side was co-op store, then Credit Union, then something and the post office.

Other side of the street was the other grocery store, I can see the face of the man who opened it but don’t remember the store name. Then lawyer, liquor store, laundromat, then street. Following thatn there was I don’t remember, maybe doctor’s office and Ma’s cafe.

Greasiest fries ever but we loved her. She was very cool.

34. Hockeyman 99 says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

Thank-you for the post Allan. My family is about 10+ years behind yours but its great to hear about the things to look forward to as they grow-up. Your blog is part of my daily routine and I thank-you for being so dedicated in your writing of it. We had to put down our dog on Christmas Eve and it was very hard being as we loved her and it was our first time. It really is true that we don’t fully appreciate what we have until its gone and I think we need to remind ourselves to cherish and appreciate our friends, family and pets. Thats what the posts about your family do for me. They are a gentle reminder, that I enjoy and need, as we all do from time to time.

God Bless and have a Happy New Year.

35. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Other side of the street was the other grocery store, I can see the face of the man who opened it but don’t remember the store name.

Was it a Tomboy grocery store?

spoiler: Was it a Tomboy grocery store?

Yes! Steve…Steve…damn I cannot remember his name.

37. skidplate says:

Bruce McCurdy:

So is that tier 1 and tier 2 regulars Bruce :)

I don’t comment here very often, but I read everything religiously. I don’t think my brain has the capacity anymore for all the “smart stats”, but I have always enjoyed the intricacies of the game.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy Prosperous New Year to all.

38. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Yes! Steve…Steve…damn I cannot remember his name.

Man, I haven’t seen one of those in like forever. They used to be in every smaller town in the area.

Very Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope today finds you amongst those you love.

It’s a bit weird for us this year as it is the first Christmas not in Vermilion since the start of pretty much everything. Family’s just too damn big for Mum and Dad to handle. I have three sisters who live about 10 blocks from each other in the Fort, so that’s ground zero for the season’s frivolities from now on, and they’re doing a lovely job of it in their rookie season.

39. kosiork says:

Merry Christmas to all, including those Oilers. Though they may frustrate us, they provide everyone here the impetus to meet and discuss ideas, and to read LT’s daily musings. For that, we should be thankful.

40. Gerta Rauss says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

My Christmas wish is to participate in this blog during a playoff run-we may all be old men (and women) before that happens, but we can dream can’t we.

Cheers

41. dessert1111 says:

Merry Christmas LT — thanks for all the wonderful content you work so hard to give us. A regular morning visit for me for 2 years now.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

Funny thing – I haven’t been around much the last few weeks (you’re all most welcome for that, though I can’t promise that I’ll keep it up), and I’m plenty busy today celebrating with my family, and yet I think to myself “Well, it’s Christmas – I should stop in at Lowetide’s and say hello to everybody, and see what touching ruminations the host has for us.” The community you’ve built here has permeated my consciousness, and power to you, and a whole lot of others, for that. I hope everybody is having a merry one, and all the best in the year ahead to all of us, as we endure what I’m sure will be many new lows for our hockey team.

And Lowetide, my parents have been without kids in the house for something like four or five years now, and two of the three of us have moved away from Alberta. We’re all still very close, and it hasn’t even been hard to keep it up. Neither you nor your wife should fret about that. I’m sure I’ll be singing a different tune in twenty-five or thirty years, but for now that’s my counsel.

Merry Christmas to all, thank you all for the good fellowship, and damn you all for being probably the major factor in still caring about this team.

43. theres oil in virginia says:

The boy and the wife and I are watching an episode of the The Muppet Show and it happens by chance to be the episode with Twiggy in it. So, in the spirit of today’s post:

Our boy (6 years old) came over and gave us each a hug after the song finished.

44. Lois Lowe says:

Merry Christmas LT and denizens.

I made the drive from Vancouver to Jasper to be with my family today. My 16 month old niece is too young to understand what’s going on around her, but the house is full of animals, people, and joy. The Oilers are a big part of our family, my brothers and I bond in the shared pain of the last 20 years. It’s one of the only things that we all have in common.

Through futility we gain strength. So say well all.

45. OilLeak says:

Merry Christmas LT, thank you for all the great work you do.

46. anonymous says:

Merry Christmas . Don’t care to comment often unless I’m able to take in a game and can give a firsthand opinion. Being from Ontario I find comment sections the best way to get the feel of how the fans are feeling. I lived in Edmonton for quite a while so for some reason this is important to me. Anyways, your blog is the most cordial of all oiler blogs and very well done . Thank you and happy new year.

47. slopitch says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone.

Been reading here since 2006. If you woulda told me 3 years ago we’d still be 29th place Xmas 2013 I’d probably have quit. But I’ve been here this long, I gotta see it through.

LT thanks for the work you put in here. It’s much appreciated.

48. Gerta Rauss says:

Terry Jones latest-Hall making a push for the Olympic team

49. stevezie says:

Merry Christmas!

50. Marc says:

Here’s a crappy stream of the Canada – Germany game for any desperate foreign based folk like myself:

51. delooper says:

The best dog ever?!? I’d like to see some advanced stats to support that.

Merry Christmas from… Saskatoon!

52. markasread1199 says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone! Have a drink or two while you’re relaxing and spend some time with those you love. Cheers.

53. Rube Foster says:

LT,
    Thank you for the beautiful Christmas post and thanks for your commitment and dedication to this wonderful blog and building a community for us desperate Oiler faithful. I’ve never been to an Alcohol Anonymous meeting but I would imagine they offer the type of support we all seek when the Oilers “challenge” us as they have.
    My kids are just a few years behind yours LT, so I am following your lead. The highlight of my very wonderful Christmas was playing some shiny with my Daughter and my nephew down at the “ODR”. The boy is a few years older and way too cool to go skating with us:)
    Thanks to all of the LT faithful for making this site an everyday visit. I wish you and your families the best over the Christmas Holidays!