OILERS ACTIVATE BRYZGALOV, TRADE LABARBERA, SEEK SAFE PLACE FOR DOOBIE

The Edmonton Oilers have activated Ilya Bryzgalov today, and made room by sending Jason LaBarbera to the Chicago Blackhawks. The return is future considerations, probably in the form of a 7th round pick in the year 2525 (three years after the Oilers collect the Shawn Horcoff pick). The Oilers are now down to 48 contracts so that’s one immediate benefit from the deal.

LaBarbera was one of the bets that didn’t work out this summer, and Craig MacTavish made quick work of the mess and cleaned it up before mile 40. Among the things that make him different than Steve Tambellini, this surely has to be one that is valued by the fanbase.

The next order of business is trading Devan Dubnyk. It is now impossible to see him remaining on this team next season, and even though I remain convinced he is in fact the best goalie on the roster that’s a lonely opinion these days and not shared by the man in charge.

CURRENT OILERS DEPTH CHART, GOALIES

1. Ilya Bryzgalov
  2. Devan Dubnyk
  3. Richard Bachman
  4. Laurent Brossoit
  5. Ty Rimmer
  6. Tyler Bunz

The Oilers have traditionally carried 5 goaltenders, and Brossoit-Rimmer might be the route they’ll take in Oklahoma City, so MacT could trade Dubnyk without bringing back a goaltender but it seems unlikely at this point. Fussy Britches has mentioned another trade being possible, and after last night’s game the Oilers may want to change the mood of the news cycle, so we’ll see how the day rolls out. I’d think a southern climate might suit Dubnyk best.

I have many sail on posts at the ready, many of them goaltenders. I won’t do one for LaBarbera, but only because it was too short a time to really get to know him. I’m sure he’s a great guy and his Stanley Cup ring won next spring should reward him for this rough patch.

105 Responses to "OILERS ACTIVATE BRYZGALOV, TRADE LABARBERA, SEEK SAFE PLACE FOR DOOBIE"

1. mc79hockey says:

2. Rondo says:

Oilers have the worst backend in the NHL. Edmonton is a tough place for a goalie.

Most teams in the NHL have a better idea how to build a team.

Edmonton has a good flag football team as Burke says.

The season is over, even when they win games you really have no idea how serious the other team took Edmonton.

I could see them dealing Doobie with Labarbra on the roster.

Now? Not so much.

Unless a backup comes back in the trade, I’m not sure he goes until the deadline.

Maybe something big with NYI (4-6) players is in the offing with Poulin or Nilsson coming back? (Neither are very good btw)

4. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

What about a Bryz/BTO combo in net, with Kulikov coming back for Doobie? I’m not convinced that Kulikov is the guy, but whadayagonnado? “I can’t go home empty-handed, Bob.”

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

I’m hoping they aim higher, but we’ll see.

6. prairieschooner says:

I still believe in DD but I am not sure what in what scenario another NHL club would be interested in the Edmonton Oilers goalie?
    What return would there be for Gagner given he is at a low point right now?

7. RexLibris says:

Why not look at some other struggling teams – Toronto.

Surely Nonis is facing pressure to make some kind of move. Obviously Dubnyk isn’t a fit there with Reimer and Bernier and I can’t see the ask for either of those two being what MacTavish has in mind, but there are other pieces needed by both parties.

As for Dubnyk, well there are a number of teams looking for goaltending, but I’m almost certain that MacTavish is not interested in draft picks right now. At the deadline he may have to, but not now.

I see the goal depth chart similarly, adjusted for the rumoured departure of Dubnyk – Bryzgalov and Bachman in the NHL with Brossoit and Rimmer in the AHL and Bunz in the ECHL.

8. RexLibris says:

Also, the Sabres are stopping the Flames in their tracks this afternoon. 60-40 CF edge, 55-45 FF for the Sabres.

I’d love to see Buffalo win this one. Not enough to buy one of their slug jerseys, but close.

9. justDOit says:

Lowetide: I’m hoping they aim higher, but we’ll see.

I agree. Like you said, DD is probably the best tender in the system, and it’s pure folly to have to trade him to upgrade the defense, in order to support the goalie better.

I think I’ll hope for the worst this time, and see what comes from that.

10. Big Dan says:

Aim higher? Really!

They’d be lucky to get a draft pick for Dubnyk. He has NEGATIVE value.

He is playing horribly this year, uses up a roster spot, and unlike Labarbera has a massive $3.5M cap hit.

When Bachman returns from IR, make him the backup. He’s better than Dubnyk and can sit on the bench most nights.

This gives ice time for Broissoit, Rimmer, Bunz, and Pickard in the minors. All are doing well.

I just want Dubnyk GONE. I wish I could say I didn’t see this coming, but I did. I knew Dubnyk and Labarbera both sucked in the summer and both were going to be set sailing by the deadline.

I am happy with the Bryzgalov addition. Believe it or not, I could see Bryz staying for a few more years and the fans falling in love with his quirky personality. He’s impressive. Philly is also Death Valley for goalies and MacT will shore up our blueline with a couple more vets this summer that are > Smid. Nurse will be fun too.

Lowetide, why do you hate Bryzgalov?

… On that note, I had this odd dream the other night that Taylor Hall demanded a trade and the Oilers traded him to Nashville for Shea Weber.

11. VanOil says:

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

Florida is tanking incorrectly now. Tim Tomas is winning them too many games trying to make the US Olympic team because he wants to meet the President. They need Dubnyk to show them how to do it right. Thomas wood probably bring back crazy picks at the deadline from a contender. He would be the best deadline goalie pickup since Roloson. Kulikov + Mathias would be a awesome return but only another stepping in rebuild 3.0.

12. bookje says:

I’m not sure LaBarbara didn’t work out. Dubnyk faltered and the team brought in Bryzgalov making backup LaBarbara redundant.

13. Hammers says:

It just doesn’t matter . Until we start to move what are thought to be decent players we will stumble along .

Here is the list of goalies who have played at least 5000min since the 2010 season in order of descending SV%: (min SV% .900)

Cory Schneider 0.929
    Ondrej Pavelec 0.909
    Steve Mason 0.905
    Martin Brodeur 0.904
    Dwayne Roloson 0.902
    Mathieu Garon 0.900
    Nikolai Khabibulin 0.900

So Bryz ranks 24th and DD ranks 27th.

I can see why MacT wanted Schenider so bad as well.

Also,

Bowman’s a pretty smart GM, but man did he overpay for Crawford. Too much term too.

Source: http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2011&year_max=2014&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=save_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.900&c2stat=min_goalie&c2comp=gt&c2val=5000&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=save_pct

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

They have Thomas.

No need for DD.

bookje:
    I’m not sure LaBarbara didn’t work out.Dubnyk faltered and the team brought in Bryzgalov making backup LaBarbara redundant.

DD has been awful often posting a .891 for the year.

Labarbara posted a .870

Neither has had a good year.

Interestingly, if you drop the minutes played requirement down to 2970min over the same time period (so Labarbara qualifies) then you get:

DD 33rd .912

Labarbara 35th .910

18. bendelson says:

Big Dan,

I recall your thoughts on Dubnyk and Labarbera over the summer. It struck a chord.

And although you did call Dubnyk to be a $2M back-up next season (kudos to you for expecting his SV% to free-fall so dramatically this year) and you clearly wanted Khudobin over Labarbera (reasonable) you nevertheless strangely predicted the Oilers would ‘just miss’ in the hunt for the playoffs… which is what I thought was an glaring in-congruency in your summer prediction.

At this point, are you expecting Bryz to save the day and somehow drive the Oilers back into the playoff hunt (as predicted) or have you now tempered your race for the playoffs prediction and are simply resting on your ‘Dubnyk sucks’ laurels from over the summer.

Just wondering…

19. VanOil says:

Seeing Crawford at the top of WG SV% list does not surprise me. He was a hidden gem in the Dys system for long before last summer. This summer MacT should of offer sheet-ed Chris Tanev. Tanev signed a 1 year 1.5M deal and could become open to an offer sheet again this summer. He is a hidden gem that the league does not now about yet. MacT coached him in Chicago so he should know.

20. stener says:

The only team I could see considering dubnyk at his current value is the islanders. Or maybe nashville depending on rinne’s status

21. VanOil says:

Some interesting points in Tencer’s blog on the Oilers site http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695928&navid=DL|EDM|home

- Apparently Face punchers are not expected to score but only finish there checks

- Perron leading the team in shots might correlate with him leading the team in goals

- The Smid trade was for blue-chip prospect Laurent Brossoit, not ECHL goalie Brossoit

- The Oilers have not been shut out as often as other really bad teams

22. hoser313 says:

I say get Kulikov. Do it now before the Leafs do. Seems like a good young player going through a slump. Not dissimilar to Jeff Petry.

23. DBO says:

- Kulikov is an upgrade and a good bet, and will not cost more then picks and prospects (at some point we need to sell futures. Futures trading only results in profit when you sell and cash in today on “future value:).
    - Bryzgalov can pay off if we get him on a 2 year decent deal
    - One of the wonderkids must be sacrificed to add balance, accountability and fill the glaring need of a #1 dman
    - sell Gagner for something (he still has value). Get a two way centre with grit and size (I vote for Laich from Washington, somehow). Gordon esque really, hell Gordon can be our 2nd line centre if needed. but a two way gritty centre is needed (i will once again pine away for Boyle to fill that role in the bottom 6)

24. DBO says:

HALL-NUGE-EBERLE
    PERRON-LAICH-HEMSKY
    JOENSUU-GORDON-BROUWER
    SMYTH-ARCO-JONES

KULIKOV-GREEN
    BELOV-PETRY
    FERENCE-SCHULTZ

BRYZGALOV
    BACHMAN

DEALT GAGNER AND YAKUPOV AND DUBNYK FOR GREEN, LAICH AND BROUWER
    DEALT MARINCIN AND A 2ND FOR KULIKOV

Pipe dreams maybe, but i am drinking in newfoundland and praying for a miracle this holiday season.

25. Ryan says:

Well there’s a few caveats to your list.

I don’t care what stats you want to pull (rolling 10 game average sv % or w/e) but the million dollar question or the elephant in the room (if you prefer) is whether or not Dubnyk’s finished. Equipment size or otherwise…

It’s easy to sit back and talk about sample sizes and suggest Dunyk will revert to his average save %, but if you’re the GM of the Edmonton Oilers do you want to bet your job on it? I wouldn’t. I’d cut bait.

On an emotional level, Doobie shit the bed at the start of the season and hasn’t don’t much since. I think this is what LT keeps alluding to.

Unfortunately, this being Oilers we can sit back and wait for our GM to announce that he’s extended Bryz at 5 years x $4.5 million or something and look forward to extended IR periods and sporadic play. :)

Woodguy:

Ondrej Pavelec0.909
    Steve Mason0.905
    Martin Brodeur0.904
    Dwayne Roloson0.902
    Mathieu Garon0.900
    Nikolai Khabibulin0.900

So Bryz ranks 24th and DD ranks 27th.

I can see why MacT wanted Schenider so bad as well.

Also,

Bowman’s a pretty smart GM, but man did he overpay for Crawford.Too much term too.

I wouldn’t trade Yakupov. Bad idea.

27. TheOtherJohn says:

FFS

Oilers management………..

Lets see we are 1 slot from selecting Zach Fucale and do NOT take ANY steps to move up the 4 or 5 slots necessary to ensure we get to draft that blue chip prospect goalie prospect. Instead we trade a 27 year old 6’3″ 220 lb D man we just invested 6 years into developing for a 20 year old goalie.

You actually cannot make this shit up

Back to Smid: he is ideally suited to play the strong big body forwards on the strong WC teams: StL,SJS,LAK, Vancouver, Ana (unllike the puck moving D we kept). Guess it is fortunate the Oilers never intend to make the playoffs so will never have a need for a big body D manto match up against those teams.

Always meant to ask: Do our amateur scouts spend most of their time at Rexall??? Seriuously. Realise it saves on travel costs. Because we sure seem to take a disporportionately high number of Oil Kings. In fact in Broissoit’s draft year we took: Musil at 31, Ewanyk at 74, Gernat at 99 That too is kinda funny because if Brossoit was such a blue chip prospect and our scouts spent so many freaking hours watching Oil Kings why did we take a Finnish goalie, Pehonen at 62 and pass on Brossoit entirely in any one of the 163 spots he was available before Calgary selected him?

Do not mean to be down on Brossoit and we are definitely stuck with him. May even turn into a real good gaoltender. But who the frick trades a 27 year D man in his prime for a 20 year old propspect that is struggling (.875 S%) at the AHL level? Forgot Oilers

And both Eakins & MacT are banned from opening their mouths about our D being physically outmatched by ANA, LAK, VAnc, STL, SJS forwards—— beceause they were the guys that wanted 6 puck movers back there. In fairness to them ……….5 puckmovers and Nic Schultz

28. Gerta Rauss says:

Robert Tychkowski’s latest on Gagner being demoted to the 4th line-quotes from both Eakins and Gagner.

The byline is in Anaheim so there must have been a media avail today, but I don’t see anything posted on the Oilers website yet.

Gerta: GREAT article, thanks.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Elliotte just said Omark might get traded.

31. Big Dan says:

bendelson,

Hi Bendelson.

I did agree with MacT’s attempts to get Bishop and Schneider. Other teams got a book on Dubnyk. Watch any video. All you need to do is start from afar. He goes down way too early. He leaves 1/2 the net open for you to pick your spot. So move in and stick it there, or shoot from the blueline.

That being said, while I thought Dubnyk would take a step back a season and be a career backup after 2013-14, I didn’t think he would be THIS bad. Nobody did. Maybe .907 save percentage bad (like Crawford or Bobrovsky).

I thought he’d be mediocre and disappointing and cost us a playoff spot. He’d play a lot (like maybe 66 games because Labarbera is so washed up) because we’d have no other option. Kind of like Tommy Salo his last year (and that 2003 playoff series). I thought that if we were in the race, MacT may have made a move for an upgrade at the deadline.

I did think the rest of the team would be better. I thought we’d be competitive at least — in the playoff race. None of us foresaw a 4-15-1 start. But you know what? There was no chance this year anyway. You’re going to need 100 points to get in the West anyway. So if there was a year to have a rookie coach (I think Eakins is going to be a good coach but I would have rather hired a veteran like Lindy Ruff), this’d be the one.

That being said, this team was starting to feel it with Bryz. I think we will end up with a winning record for the rest of the year if he stays healthy and claw back to 80 points. I predict a 24-17-7 record the rest of the way and a 3-year $12m-ish Bryz resigning, which will give us hope for next year.

There are going to be bad periods or bad games like the Vancouver game that Bryz might steal, or at least keep them in. Just like that Dallas game before he got run over. And there will be games when it won’t be possible. Bryz is not a savior or a Vezina candidate. But he’s solid and reliable. This team’s forwards and defensemen will not be holding their sticks as tightly with him back there.

32. fifthcartel says:

Good for Linus, hope he gets a chance.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Odd that we tried to get both of these Gs (Raata and Bernier).

Looking forward to a leaves and nucks bloodbath tonight.

34. RexLibris says:

Interesting rumour about Omark.

I would almost welcome it if only to see what the actual return on him might be after so many years of speculation.

Have to say that I’ve become a fan of MacTavish as a GM so far if only because the previous administration was happy to fiddle while Rome burned and a proactive approach (really, any action taken) is so refreshing to see.

What would you guys think if they moved Omark and a prospect defenseman to Florida for Kulikov and a useful forward/winger?

36. GordM says:

Like many others ’round here, I got a lot of time to listen to Friedman. Ran into him at The Druid WAY back right after he joined CBC (he was there with Hrudey after a broadcast). He wasn’t overly impressed with my “I’m Elliotte Friedman…THE SCORE” impression but he did enjoy talking hockey.

Will be interesting to see if this Omark talk results in anything. Mid-round pick on his own I suspect…would be grand if he actually is part of a larger package to grab a significant asset.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Which defensive prospect are we talking about? which forward?

I’ve become pretty attached to Marincin, Klefbom, Gernat and Simpson (and obviously Nurse)… the others are fair game.

38. Young Oil says:

I would love to see that, but I don’t see Florida doing that unless we added something fairly substantial (depending on the quality of the forward). Omark could probably only garner a 7th round pick from any other team, due to nobody picking him up on waivers, and Kulikov has better draft pedigree than any Oiler prospect not named Nurse, and likely has a similar ceiling to Marincin or Klefbom. I don’t see Marincin or Klefbom getting Kulikov AND an NHL forward.

39. Lois Lowe says:

Kulikov still fits in Florida’s “cluster” doesn’t he? I am not sure he’d be on the block, unless I have missed that press conference…

40. VanOil says:

I have not listen to Bob Cole in a while is he drunk or just getting old. I am finding his mistaken rambling very amusing.

I would like to see Omark play in the NHL. With Omark going and Lander in the NHL will OKC score another goal this year?

41. Racki says:

I think I’ve said this before, but I applaud you for being able to poop out post after post in spite of how deflating this team is year after year. There really isn’t anything new to talk about, but you manage to keep people stopping by.

Anyways, this team desperately needs top D talent… no more projects, and no more guys that have no idea what to do around their net and have no ability to push back. That for me means I’m not sure I’d bite on Kulikov (but I do recognize that that’s likely not an opportunity that will happen often, and he could become a much better player under another team.. but I’m not so sure the Oilers are THAT team). It is wishful thinking, but I’d be talking to the Jets since they have a good D situation there… the Preds as always. This team needs to do everything it can to get that stalwart blueliner. That wouldn’t be their only need though.. but that would help a lot.

42. Young Oil says:

Lois Lowe:

43. LostBoy says:

It’d be nice if Omark fetched something, but it’s hard to see how it could be much. He’s been free to a good home for the sake of a waiver claim more than once, most recently earlier this season. He’s having a good AHL season, but basically doing exactly what he did at exactly the same pace as each of his last AHL stints. It’s not really clear why he’d acquire much value all of a sudden. Makes more sense bundled with something else. More power to him if he does make it to another organization with a realistic chance to crack the lineup.

I guess from an organizational point of view, if there’s a chance to get any kind of asset for him you have to take it. But the Barons are going to look a little bleak if he goes.

44. Racki says:

On a scale of 1-10, Omark’s value on the market is about a minus 2. I think we all have to concede the fact that no one wants him… for free or otherwise.

45. jb says:

Letang scratched late?

46. stevezie says:

Enthusiastic. Kulikov is an NHL player.

47. Racki says:

Young Oil: TSN has been reporting fairly consistently since last summer that Kulikov has been on the block, if you trust their reliability.

Yes, but have any actual NHL outlets reported this?? Sorry.. couldn’t resist :P

Racki:

I honestly don’t believe that to be true.

49. hags9k says:

I wonder what Perron could bring back in trade at the deadline….I’m not saying deal our best player this year but I’d just be curious…

VanOil:

Bob Cole turned 80 in June.

A true gem.

Gerta Rauss:

If you are talking about these quotes:

“I talked to Sam earlier in the day and let him know where I was coming from and why my decision was made,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, who is going where previous coaches wouldn’t when it comes to underachievement.

“He understands and knows that he has to do some things better.”

They came from the post game presser yesterday in VAN.

52. maudite says:

For a team struggling for secondary offense and looking to possible hit a double on the cheap:

Omark is about a 5. He has value. Not trade deadline value but cheap next contract and just looking for a chance to actually play. Fed shite minutes with shite teammates and shuffled in and out never really having an opportunity to play with any actual offensive players for any real amount of time…next to zero powerplay minutes. We don’t really have that great of an idea what he actually brings. All we know is he appears to hit it out of the park in any other league he has played.

Look at what Arco went through this year already. It made absolutely no sense to not have him in the lineup but they did their damndest to not play him.

No one can seriously believe they have much of an idea what the hell omark might do as he’s more a case of another victim of bad asset management than anything else. The narratives some people have formed on him seem to discount how poorly this team has been managed for a very long time.

53. Racki says:

Lowetide: I honestly don’t believe that to be true.

We just got Perron! NO!

55. hags9k says:

I guess my real question is, where in the long term pecking order do we have Perron now?

Are we more sad to see him go then Ebs? Gags? Yak? Hemmer? Am I wrong to feel he belongs in the long list of shall I say non-core guys in management’s eyes? POS, Penner, Cole, Lupul etc…

What the hell is this club going to do, what a mess. Of course the guy we trade MPS for comes in and outplays all the wonder kids. As much as I love the Frenchman, it just shouldn’t be this way.

hags9k:

Are we more sad to see him go then Ebs? Gags? Yak? Hemmer?Am I wrong to feel he belongs in the long list of shall I say non-core guys in management’s eyes?POS, Penner, Cole, Lupul etc…

What the hell is this club going to do, what a mess.Of course the guy we trade MPS for comes in and outplays all the wonder kids.As much as I love the Frenchman, it just shouldn’t be this way.

1. Hall
    2. Nuge
    3. Yak
    4. Perron

57. hags9k says:

I know right! Maybe MacT will feel more of an attachment to him but he just seems like the next name in that list of guys who played top 6 here but were considered, outside of the nucleus, and dealt…

I’m probably wrong, but man it really does feel a lot like Cole again.

58. hags9k says:

Lowetide: 1. Hall
    2. Nuge
    3. Yak
    4. Perron

I have Eberle still ahead by a modest but shrinking amount, but if MacT shares your list and given Ebs makes 6 mil then he has to go. And then we likely don’t get one more day out of Bert, I mean Hall past his current deal. What a mess.

59. VanOil says:

Woodguy: Bob Cole turned 80 in June.

A true gem.

His voice reminds me when the Oilers were good. 80 and still working is pretty cool.

60. Pouzar says:

1. Hall
    2. Nuge
    3. Yak
    4. Perron

Ebs is at least #3. To each their own i guess. The guy creates scoring chances out of nothing and at a clip better than Hall. Parkatti says as much and I loved his “best hands since Gretzky” comment. If they trade Ebs for anything less than a stud #1 I am jumping ship on this gong show and I am a die hard 40 yr old who lived through the Gretzky trade. I can’t believe how under appreciated Ebs he’s become on some of these boards. Ebs is my favorite Oiler but I have gone on record many times saying Nuge will be the best of the lot but he is top 3 for me.

Regarding Yak…I worry…I just don’t see the hockey sense. He doesn’t look right to me and seems like he is lost when he doesn’t have the puck. And when he does get it, it’s a whole lot of nothing happening.

61. maudite says:

Lowetide: 1. Hall
    2. Nuge
    3. Yak
    4. Perron

If you could turn some arrangement of Yak/Eberle, Gagner, J Shultz, this years 1st and a defensive prospect into:

1/2a LD
    Soild 2wayish 1b/2 C

would you?

I think they could and I would..

62. hoser313 says:

Re:Kulikov

Absolutely. Have to give something to get something. I’d trade any D prospect other than Nurse.

63. RMGS says:

hags9k:
    As much as I love the Frenchman, it just shouldn’t be this way.

It’s worth noting that most francophone Quebecers would be insulted at being called French. I hope that nickname doesn’t stick here for the Oilers’ best player so far this year. :)

64. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy,

thank you Sir-I didn’t listen to the presser last night and looking at the time stamp on the Sun article I just assumed the quotes were fresh

Khaira with a goal tonight, 23, 7-10-17.

66. steveb12344 says:

RMGS: It’s worth noting that most francophone Quebecers would be insulted at being called French. I hope that nickname doesn’t stick here for the Oilers’ best player so far this year.

What the hell are you talking about?

Francophone Quebecers are more fiercely proud of their heritage than just about anyone.

If anything some of them are insulted when you call them Canadian.

67. RexLibris says:

If it were Omark and Musil for Kulikov, then yes.

You move a prospect essentially wilting on the vine and then basically swap Kulikov for Musil and advance your development timeline.

Not sure how Mr. Musil would take moving his son, but Frank played in a lot of cities and I think he knows the drill.

Omark and Gernat for Kulikov, I suppose. I love the kid, but a bird in the hand.

Omark and Marincin for Kulikov, getting gun-shy there.

Omark and either Nurse or Klefbom for Kulikov and you can wash your mouth out with soap.

68. Gerta Rauss says:

Racki: He’s doing well in the AHL, but teams have passed on him for free… I think it’s pretty safe to say teams don’t want him.

Things change-teams that can’t score or have injuries might be looking his way. I think Omarks scoring in the AHL might be drawing some interest as well.

It won’t be much of a return if he is moved, but that’s fine. He’s just putting in time in OKC anyway, he has no future in this org and I think both parties know it.

69. boxman says:

Racki,

Lt , Racki is exactly right. Thank you for hanging in when all despair! Nothing feels the same as a run for the cup and to expect addicts to act normally is hopelessly optimistic. The cheque is in the mail!!

70. Racki says:

Gerta Rauss: I think Omark cleared waivers just the one time while he’s been Oilers property, and that was during the training camp cuts in late Sept. All teams are in the process of trimming their rosters to 23 at that time of year, so I don’t think we can draw any firm conclusions from that.

In all honesty, I think you guys are extremely optimistic thinking he has any value. He’s definitely been shopped around too. Maybe the negative value I put on him is a bit harsh, but I don’t think anyone is looking for him on their NHL team. AHL team.. perhaps.. NHL.. fat chance. I would be incredibly surprised if he was traded to a team that brought him up to the NHL. Is it fair for teams to think so poorly of him? Maybe.. maybe not… but I think that most teams will look at him and see a guy who couldn’t break into a bottom standings team, even if we do have some good players at forward here.

Just my 2 cents. He’ll go UFA, and I think no one will want him… and he’ll head off back to Europe. That’s the way I see it. Not trying to be a jerk to the guy, just being realistic.

71. flyfish1168 says:

Rask just let in a softie from 60 feet deflection. I guess it can happen to anyone. Maybe Doobie would look better if he doesn’t face so may shots or our players are more defensive aware.

72. jake70 says:

steveb12344: What the hell are you talking about?

If anything some of them are insulted when you call them Canadian.

Don’t want to speak for RMGS but I believe he is referring to French nationality (France) and not the language. Perron might be considered francophone Quebecois nowadays. French canadien before la revolution tranquille…;-)

73. Cobbler says:

I honestly believe the following:

Dubnyk – league average #1 goaltender
    Lebarbera – league average backup goaltender

This should have worked out for the Oil. It didn’t and now we are looking at a devaluation of the franchise. That is a shame.

Here is all that needs to be said vis-a-vis taking some time to assess a goaltenders value:

Jason LaBarbera CHI 7 19 3.28 146 .870 0 0 1 3 0 348 49:45 0 0 0

7 fucking games and 146 shots and he is thrown to the scrap heap after a career average of 0.915 ish.

This is how bad teams stay bad, and most of you want Dubnyk’s head on a stick?

Fools! all of you!

Chicago, one of the best teams in the league, just got a big part of their cup run for nothing. The
    Oilers….well they got nothin’…….

74. Cobbler says:

LT, I don’t agree that LeBarbera was one of the bets that didn’t work out. How would anyone know?

He barely played for the Oilers. Spent more time practicing and warming up than he did playing the game.

A shame and a waste.

That’s the liquor talking. I may feel differently in the AM. :)

75. Gerta Rauss says:

Racki,

I would have agreed with everything you said up until a couple hours ago-if Friedman is hearing there might be interest in Omark somebody might be sniffing around. I could see him as a throw in if there are multiple players involved.

We’ll see.

76. FastOil says:

I posted in the last thread but it seems everyone is here. I went to the game last night, just got home.

I hope MacT likes mountain climbing. I hope my son isn’t scarred for life!

Who nailed RNH? – I am surprised he got up, was talking to the boy and just saw him go down.

There aren’t a lot of complete players on the team. MacT needs to bring in more vets, whale hunting or conversely doing nothing will not work. I think they need to turn a lot more players over.

Only a fool trades Yak before anyone but Hall and RNH. He is a ninja in training. If he’s not too weird he’ll be a killer soon enough, impressive.

Belov is a yeti, it’s too bad he has KHL wheels. His type is exactly what the doctor ordered. I don’t think it’ll work for long unless he gets more mobile.

Gagner lost almost all credibility with me, but thinking about Kassian would put many guys off so I give a sliver of a chance.

We talk a lot about size and such, but this is a physically weak and wimpy team. Many are timid and afraid. There is no Gretzky there, firepower won’t do it alone. They have to find some tougher, more fiery players to open the ice up and keep the wolves at bay. Hurry up Yakimov, Moroz, Khaira and Chase. And keep scoring lads.

I am not a Don Cherry fan and I don’t dislike him – he told a story on the radio about the Bruins and retaliation. Publicly said it was forgotten, they played hard on the offender until the day he retired, every game, every time.

77. Numenius says:

Houck also with a goal. 33, 16-10-26.

78. Cobbler says:

flyfish1168,

Rask has God on his side. Dubnyk, lets see I count…1…2…….oh never mind.

79. Racki says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Racki,

We’ll see.

I missed the Friedman comment. Well I’ll be damned. He would obviously know better. I will still be surprised if he’s moved, but I’ll be elated if he is though… we need to turn the page on this guy.

I think for Omark, I’d hope for a solid bottom six addition…. the next Gordon. Or, better yet, if we could somehow pull off another Paajarvi for Perron miracle… but that is doubtful.

80. bookje says:

Cobbler,

I somewhat agree with you with the exception that Bryzgalov makes LaBarbara redundant. Prudent contract management and cap management requires making this move.

81. flyfish1168 says:

For what its worth. I was looking at the Abbotsford Heats line up. The phlagms is assembling a pretty good group of players. Knight, Ferland, and Granlund just to name a few. All about a point per game and with decent size. Just to name a few players.

Top in the conference which includes the Barons who is not in the playoff picture as we speak

82. Racki says:

83. bookje says:

Racki:

84. DBO says:

GordM,

Haha. Really? Cause I was at the Druid one night years ago and Hrudey and Friedman and I thought one more were there. Seriously , that’s awesome. Crazy cold night as we’ll if memory serves.

85. spoiler says:

mc79hockey: He’s a longtime favourite of mine so I’m sorry it didn’t work out. We don’t know these guys nearly as well as we sometimes think we do but there were more than a few times this season where Dubnyk had a rough time or (less frequently) a good time and Labarbera reacted the way you’d hope a guy would – lots of support or seemed genuinely happy for him. Hope Chicago works well for him.

Racki: Call me crazy, but if Labarbera was that much of a hot commodity, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have signed with one of the worst (if not the worst) teams of the last half decade (plus) for $1M even if there was some sign of hope to start the year. Moving him on for any return was the right thing to do. Not sure how well he’ll do in Chicago, but I’m going to guess that they have the team to hide his deficiencies whereas the Oilers aren’t even close to that.

bookje: Well Crazy, I pretty much agree with you. I think LaBarbara has some value and that he signed with the Oilers because he thought he could get a chance at the #1 here (and he was correct). However, he doesn’t have lots of value and there is no sense in keeping him around (or more likely losing him to waivers). Now, some have suggested that he would not have gotten picked up on waivers. Can anyone who has suggested that explain why Chicago wouldn’t take him?

86. Hammers says:

Well keeping with the theme LaBabs just landed in heaven or hell not sure today . I think McT will do the right thing by Omark no matter what anyone thinks of his chances . He told him you get a chance at both the Oil or another team .Still think we missed the boat with the kid 3 years ago but cum se cum sa. . Lets all remember right now Bryz & DD are both UFA’s and either or both may be gone by trade deadline . As for top players from LT today Perron is only behind Hall and Ebs must be before Yak . A year from now who knows and 2 years from now its RNH & Yak then Hall Ebs & Perron . Our problem is there is no Goalie or “D” on the list and no size on the top 6 .If its not on the top 6 it better be on the bottom 6 and I mean over 6′ & 220 lbs for all of them .PROBLEM stays the same and it’s our “D”

87. GATO BANDIDO says:

Omark might have a little more trade value if he were given half the time Will Acton was to show other GMs what he can do. Nine minutes. That was it.

His skill set is probably redundant on the Oilers but he didn’t score at .53 PPG in 2010-11 with mirrors.

88. Numenius says:

Houck was on fire tonight. 2-1-3, first star. Puts him at 33, 17-11-28 (.85)

89. Thinker says:

Hammers,

Not to nitpick grammar, but just so you don’t get made fun of in the future it’s comme si comme ça.

90. bendelson says:

Big Dan,

I do appreciate the thoughtful response. Your take on Dubnyk, although harsh, is not as ‘wildly pessimistic’ as it appeared this past summer.

I’ve been a fan of DD since watching him with the Blazers. What he has done with this opportunity is extremely disappointing to say the least. At this point, success will likely have to come in another uniform if it ever comes… and I still think it could. What DD looks like in goal on a solid hockey team is something the world has never seen.

I do think we need to wait and see on Bryz…
    He had a great start, one tough game and then was injured.
    I’m very curious to see what the next 15 games look like in goal.

Regardless, the team is awful, as you mentioned the Western Conference is a juggernaut, so it’s really about 2014/15, who is playing goal in Edmonton (x2), and how much they had to overpay to get them…

91. stevezie says:

To appreciate what Omark is doing down there it is important to note not only his point (one per game), but the fact that he has twice as many as anyone else on the team.

There are goals starved teams that would give you futures for this, no? If you really want to boost his value call him up and play him, but who are you taking out? I like him on the forecheck but I haven’t heard anything about his back-checking coming around.

I’m cheering for Omark but I admit he is not an ideal fit for this roster. I might call him up anyway, because I think he’s earned it, but I understand if they don’t.

92. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Don’t panic but I have notion that Old School G may be attempting to steal your identity.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius:
    Houck was on fire tonight. 2-1-3, first star. Puts him at 33, 17-11-28 (.85)

I’ve started following him recently. He’s my sleeper pick of the 2013 draft (I dare someone to pick Campbell).

He had a real shitty start to the season and has been pouring it on lately. The recent suspension shows he’s got some killer in him too.

Has any of our west coast contingent seen Houck play live? I’d like a more thorough report… I certainly think he deserved to be well clear of Gazdic and Gustafsson on LT’s list.

94. Old School G says:

bendelson:
    stevezie,

No way Jose. Chive On Stevezie!

95. Bruce McCurdy says:

probably in the form of a 7th round pick in the year 2525

Pretty sure that Hawks already dealt that pick in the Zager & Evans deal.

96. bendelson says:

Old School G,

You could have gone with a cute little kitten photo and been all good no?

Wait a minute, I enjoy Bill Murray films a great deal, have worn a beard for some time, often joke about significant time spend in my basement, attended the last Leonard Cohen concert…

But alas, I’m a dog person to the core.

Good times OSG.
    (I received my KCCO education from the urban dictionary).

And stop calling me Jose.

97. Old School G says:

bendelson:
    Old School G,

You could have gone with a cute little kitten photo and been all good no?

But alas, I’m a dog person to the core.

Good times OSG.
    (I received my KCCO education from the urban dictionary).

And stop calling me Jose.

I grew up with German Shepherds as part of the family all my life, I have no time for cats. Bill Murray is an icon.

I looked up OSG in the Urban Dictionary. Whatever do you mean?

98. stevezie says:

bendelson,

I’ll just have to do what anyone does when someone else shows up to a party wearing your face:

Set myself apart by the strength of my ideas, the clarity of my prose, and the ubiquity of my ethnic slurs

Are those still in fashion or have the Nicelandics gotten to us, too?

99. Big Dan says:

bendelson,

I don’t think the Oilers are as bad as they appeared against Vancouver. Everyone knew (or should have known) we were going to get pasted. The Canucks are on fire and they always smoke us.

This year, it seems there are about 15 teams that have become WAY better than than the bottom 15. It’s like the middle class team disappeared.

Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St.Louis, Anaheim, Los Angeles, and San Jose are the top tier. They are going to embarass us every time.

Montreal, Tampa Bay, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota, Vancouver, and Phoenix are better than us. We’ll need some bounces and good goaltending to get by them.

The Oilers are just as good as the other 14 teams. We are not awful anymore. When you have injuries to your top players, bad D, and bad goaltending, you’re 4-15-1. When you have solid goaltending, it’ll make your D look less bad.

While I agreed with Cassie Campbell’s analysis, I think the Oiler forwards are slowly “getting” it defensively (except for Gagner) over the last 10 games or so. Sometimes, they try too hard to score and are out of gas to get back into the play — or take the wrong man. But I don’t see as much lollygagging, but yeah it’s still there. They are not giving up after getting behind a couple goals anymore. It’s a work in progress – years of bad habits, but they are entertaining again and I’m not covering my eyes as much.

I think a 24-17-7 expectation (which is basically .500) may be a little optimistic but reasonable considering their talent at forward. Can we rehire Krueger as our PP coach? :) Our schedule to Christmas is scary, though!

I have faith that MacT will get us out of this with a little more time, that Lowe isn’t involved, and that fans on this board overrate Ladislav Smid and underrate Laurent Broissoit. I also think Lowetide overrates Jeff Petry= he’s another Tom Poti to me.

100. gcw_rocks says:

justDOit,

If they could get Kulikov for Dubnyk that would be a steal of a trade. But the rumors are the only reason Kulikov hadn’t been traded already is because talon is asking for to much in return, so that trade probably isn’t going to happen.

101. gcw_rocks says:

Klefbom and Omark might get you Kulikov, but any forward coming with him would not be of the useful variety. I would trade Klefbom and Omark for Kulikov straight up. He would slide in nicely with Petry on a second pairing. If he can iron out the chaos in his game Kulikov could be top pairing in a couple of years.

102. RMGS says:

jake70: Don’t want to speak for RMGS but I believe he is referring to French nationality (France) and not the language. Perron might be consideredfrancophone Quebecois nowadays.French canadien before la revolution tranquille…;-)

C’est ça!

103. Gret99zky says:

Big Dan,

“The Oilers are just as good as the other 14 teams. We are not awful anymore.”

the standings at the end of the season may prove otherwise.

this team is about as awful as an NHL team can be.

104. Andy P says:

spoiler: IIRC, LaBarbera and Dubnyk were workout buddies and fairly close friends and that had something to do with him signing here. Whether the Oil were sold on the idea or came up with it on their lonesome, I have no idea.bookje, I’m not sure under the new rules… maybe he couldn’t have been left in the minors if obtained on waivers?

By merely connecting the dots, I would think that MacT realized that DD’s head was a bit squirrely pre-season and wanted to give him every chance to succeed. So LeBarb was brought in to settle him down as a buddy and a non-threatening backup. All DD had to do was play his prior averages and he would have been entrenched.
    When a team is flat on their backside as we were with injuries to most of our best or better players, and your supporting players are simply not good enough to step up, one would hope that one would have a goalie like Thomas, Luongo, Kiprosoff, Joseph, Rollie to just name a few who show their worth by stepping up and stealing games for the team. This also has the effect of giving the team more confidence up and down the line, allowing them to play just that much more aggressively in front of him.
    DD assisted the team in putting together 3 x 5 game losing streaks, and continues to disappoint.
    DD was also a factor in having MacT dump Smid to get a future goalie prospect in Brossoit and clear cap space to bring in Bryz.
    I actually think DD may be the same goalie as last year, except he is playing with equipment designed for a 5’11″ goalie, which seems to be unfair when a goalie just 1″ taller than him gets equipment that DD would likely succeed with. Unfortunately though we don’t seem to be able to change the rules, and with the rest of the team on the development curve we do only seem to have one choice, and that is change the goalie.
    Just sayin’