OILERS AT CANUCKS, G34 13-14

The Oilers played well last night in a losing cause and that might be the best moment of the entire weekend. Vancouver tonight and Anaheim Sunday means some difficult moments for the young group. So it’s time to take a moment and talk about the positives from last night:

• David Perron is a wonderful player. An absolutely terrific winger who has quickly become one of my favorite Oilers. I don’t know what this season would look like without Perron, and suspect he’s going to post a goal total that’s close to 35. What a great trade.
  • Ales Hemsky was flying last night, really working hard and setting up plays. I hope they sign him, but he’s certainly improving his trade value if the NHL scouts are paying attention to these games.
  • Jeff Petry who skated miles and displayed calm feet. And he got a point.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was very good, he’s such a smart hockey player. I think he’s Dave Keon, and that’s a compliment.
  • Anton Belov had an excellent game to my eye, strong play.
  • Mark Arcobello continues to play well, I think he’s going to get a push when Gordon returns.
  • Jesse Joensuu seems to be healthy again and brings a different look to the powerplay along with some impressive 5×5 play.
  • Andrew Ference played a simple but effective game.
  • Luke Gazdic did some nice things, interrupting the play in the neutral zone a couple of times.

That’s my list, you may have your own and I welcome your input.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF DEVAN DUBNYK

principe dubnyk

Devan Dubnyk had his detractors over the years but he also supplied the Oilers with good goaltending, certainly in the seasons he played significant minutes. Here are his even-strength save percentages over the seasons:

• 2010-11: .921
  • 2011-12: .927
  • 2012-13: .922
  • 2013-14: .890

The NHL changed equipment sizes and stick length, and this team is a defensive nightmare many nights. I can name several people who write and comment on the Oilers who claim to have seen this coming, but save for the odd wonky goal and the criticisms of big men (moves slow, looks slow) I never bought into it.

However, we are here. I think it’s bad for him, and wouldn’t be surprised to see him backing up tonight or in Union City Blue next week. This is a miserable end for a good guy by all accounts. I sincerely hope I’m wrong about the Oilers and Dubnyk, he’s going to bounce back to career norms and if he’s still an Oiler that’s even better.

POWERPLAY

yakupov26

Yakupov is a great shooting option. He needs to be a trigger man on the number 1 powerplay and I don’t understand the hesitancy.

PROGRESS

This morning, Extra Skater has the Oilers Corsi For % at 47.3 5×5, last season it was 44.6 5×5. If the Oilers had even average goaltending this season we’d be talking a different season, and if they had Toronto’s we’d be irritating the internet like madmen (and women). The season is gone, but all hope is not lost.  We’re 33 games into the season now, leaving 49 games to go. If the Oilers went 24-18-7 (and that seems reasonable if the goaltending stands up and injuries don’t tear them apart) Edmonton would end this season 35-37-10 and with 80 points. I think 35 wins is a reasonable target for this team. Agreed?

ACT NATURALLY

I would never have guessed David Perron and Mark Arcobello would be having the seasons we expected to see from Taylor Hall and Sam Gagner, but we are here. Whatever ails Hall—and I don’t think his speed has been impacted by the injury—Dallas Eakins has to fix it. Gagner is part of a Bermuda triangle line for the second year in a row (remember Gagner-Hemsky last season?) and sometimes when people say “it’s not you, it’s me” they’re telling the truth.

Edmonton can’t progress without a productive Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yakupov. The other parts of those lines are less important than these four horsemen, and that includes Gagner.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

DUNAWAY

TSN1260 at 10, we’ll preview the NFL weekend and have Oiler/NHL talk. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk about life being unfair for Jay Feaster and a few other things.
  • Corey Pronman from ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. We’ll talk about the Flames and Oilers prospect stable.
  • Rob Vollman from ESPN, Hockey Prospectus and Bleacher Report. We’ll talk about the Oilers positive trending in shot differential and what this team might look like with average goaltending.
  • Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton. The offseason signings continue.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter. Canadians are performing very well leading up to the Olympics, but a late coaching change may impact the Canadian Women’s national hockey team.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

307 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS, G34 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Beaker says:

Ummm I dont get it. Halls the only Point Per Game guy we have going right now and we’re saying “whats wrong with Hall?”

Beaker:

3. jakethesnake says:

Lowtide this is the first time I’ve ever posted here, I’m a big fan of yours but as far as I’m concerned the sooner Dubnyk is gone the better. Yes his numbers look good but he can never make the key saves, and Gagner needs to go too. He’s dragging Hall down. Play Arco with Hall and it will change. In my opinion they need to package Dubby and Gags up and ship them out. I’m sure they are nice guys but nicedoes not win games.

4. thejonrmcleod says:

What kind of trade value do you think Gagner has? If MacT is going to trade Gagner and Hemsky, I’m thinking he could at least get 2 solid wingers to play with Gordon on the 3rd line. (Yes, I know they also need defensemen.) But is Arcobello ready for a promotion to one of the top-2 lines? I’d also like to see Pitlick join Lander on the 4th line.

Perron – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – Acrobello – Yak
    trade – Gordon – trade
    ??? – Lander – Pitlick

5. Beaker says:

None of those graphs show the first 30ish games of any season. Im no expert but in my head an explanation is that Halls always been a slow starter in various ways. Hes only seemed to catch fire the last 5 or so games. Maybe by the end of the season those numbers look more like the norm. And quite frankly if he scores 90 points but his corsi is a little on the low side im not going to be too upset.

6. nelson88 says:

Perron is a beauty. I like MPS and was sad to see him go but that trade is as good an example as any about not falling in love with your young players IF you are getting quality in return and addressing a need..

The best part about Perron’s emergence is that it makes Yak even more expendable for a trade. I like YAK as a player and he seems like a quality person but if you can trade him to get a bonafide #1 D on a decent contract I pull the trigger in a second.

RNH, Hall, Eberle, Perron all <25 and coming into their prime. Disappointing season but the Oiler holes are fairly obvious and MacT has plenty of assets to trade. Let's hope he is as smart as he thinks he is.

7. hags9k says:

I’m a Gagner fan, but he hasn’t been even close to playing his best hockey yet this year. As LT has been mentioning, hopefully this is the injury lingering.

That being said, when Gordon gets back it might be a good time to see him on the wing so we can evaluate all roster options going into deadline season.

8. Bos8 says:

Yes, Dubnyk and Gagner are a problem right now and the D are on the small side. But damn, that was some fine hockey last night.

I’m not that hooked on wins, play well and the wins will look after themselves. And even with the fluke goal and the delicate psyche of the team, that was mighty fine. They kept working and given er.

I can’t say enough good things about Eakins. He came here with a plan, found out that it wouldn’t work, and adjusted on the fly and is still adjusting. Things are progressing slowly, more slowly than we would like but there is strategic thinking as well as tactical. Painful as it is, he’s building a team ethic.

9. Chris says:

jakethesnake:
    Lowtide this is the first time I’ve ever posted here, I’m a big fan of yours but as far as I’m concerned the sooner Dubnyk is gone the better.Yes his numbers look good but he can never make the key saves, and Gagner needs to go too.He’s dragging Hall down.Play Arco with Hall and it will change.In my opinion they need to package Dubby and Gags up and ship them out.I’m sure they are nice guys but nicedoes not win games.

The problem with Dubnyk hasn’t been a lack of “clutch” saves which like “clutch” goals are voodooish instances created to fill a desire for a storytelling narrative. The problem with Dubnyk has been that on average his play has been below league average this year. His goals against and save percentage of been aweful.

10. Brackenburied says:

There was a play down in the corner last night where Arco got leverage on a Bruin and just launched him away from the puck. Poetry.

11. Bos8 says:

Belov and Joensu are working examples of the Oiler needs. They’re at various stages in their development but they’re exactly what this team needs more of. Dominating size. Even the brief glimpse of Marincin showed the need for the size factor on D.

As to Hall, he’s working on becoming a complete player and he’s never had to do that before. Yakupov might be coming along slowly but all he needs is time. He’s evolving and he needs a big game to reinforce the progress. All in all, Good Hockey – Yowza.

12. hags9k says:

On Dubnyk, when did he last steal us a win? I count 1 so far this year, in Ottawa. That’s not enough from your starter.

13. jakethesnake says:

Chris,

I know his numbers this year are awful but you look at his number over the last number of years and they aren’t bad but he always gives up the weak goal and that kills all momentum that the team has. Its not just this year this has been going on since the start of his career. I’m sure he is a great guy cause the Sportsnet Broadcasters tell us every minute of every game how great he is, but he still has to make the big save when you need it. It’s time to move him even if it’s for pucks.

14. leadfarmer says:

I know everyone is complaining about the goaltending but until this team learns to clear the crease, tie up sticks, and cover the slot it doesnt matter who is in net. Last night Gagner had no interest in clearing the crease on one of the goals, and Eberle had no interest in tieing up the other player on his back check.

15. theres oil in virginia says:

jakethesnake:
    Chris,

I know his numbers this year are awful but you look at his number over the last number of years and they aren’t bad but he always gives up the weak goal and that kills all momentum that the team has.Its not just this year this has been going on since the start of his career.I’m sure he is a great guy cause the Sportsnet Broadcasters tell us every minute of every game how great he is, but he still has to make the big save when you need it.It’s time to move him even if it’s for pucks.

Can we trade the power-play too?

16. bookje says:

Maybe not.

17. j says:

Hey LT – I missed the first half of the game (probably a blessing) but was really quite impressed with Larsen. I think there is a really good player there. His ability to get to the puck first in almost any situation is an incredible skill that often gets overlooked. It doesn’t matter if he is a step laterally or two behind he always seems to get his blade to the loose puck before the attacking forward. Disrupts a lot of plays. And he has been very calm once he has possession. He is another possible side bar story for the 13/14 team.

18. bookje says:

Also, in thinking about the Kruger firing, MacT lies when he suggests that he was interviewing candidates for an associate coach and changed his mind when interviewing Eakins. If management were truly seeking an associate coach, the coach would be part of the interviews.

I am not saying it is bad or good, but in retrospect, it’s clear Kruger was gone or at least being marginalized by MacT

19. Beaker says:

bookje,

I dunno, More goals for per game but more goals against per game on average this year….

edit: had brainfart

20. Thinker says:

I see dubnyk as the anti-fuhr. Plays lights out when the game is out of reach, but gives up soft goals early and when the score is close. That being said my stance on him is the same as always, he’s not THE guy, but he could be a useful 1A. His problem is the same as Petry’s; too high in the batting order.

Gagner is a different story. I don’t think his issue is size or an unwillingness to play physical, like all the meatheads say, but I do have a problem with his place on the team, because he is too similar to RNH. We need variety in our top six. Hall isn’t like Perron, and eberle isn’t like yak, but I do think gagner is just a less skilled RNH. We need someone who can be thrown into the blender to change the game plan of the other team. I see this player as a cycler, and defensive presence.

21. Derek says:

Re: Halls Possession numbers.

A quick glance at Parkattis http://www.boysonthebus.com/ shows Halls results for the last ten games:

Boston: 16-11
    Carolina: 10-22
    Calgary: 23-8
    Colorado: 10-20
    Phoenix: 15-12
    Dallas: 18-17
    CBJ: 9-10
    Nashville: 13-14
    Chicago: 8-11
    Florida: 10-13

Total: 132-138 or 48.89%

Almost break even, but we definitely expect more from Taylor Hall, do we not? Those Carolina and Colorado games are ugly.

22. FastOil says:

Brackenburied:

Fight in the dog. They need more of that.

As for Gagner, I was thinking last night, he remains a fantastic Junior centre.

They messed up big with the NTC. Even from a motivation standpoint for Gagner. He can afford to be more relaxed than he should be.

23. Bar_Qu says:

thejonrmcleod:

Perron – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – Acrobello – Yak
    trade – Gordon – trade
    ??? – Lander – Pitlick

Those ??? on the 4 line should read Gazdic, b/c that’s what the Oilers do.

24. Beaker says:

Bar_Qu: Those ??? on the 4 line should read Gazdic, b/c that’s what the Oilers do.

which theoretically i dont mind if that actually means a few extra double shifts for hall/perron and gazdic only coming out occasionally

25. Bar_Qu says:

Gazdic was actually effective last night. Small minutes, taking out a superior player (sitting for a fight). And he can play a little. If the Oilers insist on this type, he is good enough for it.

bookje, I agree on the need got another coach to help with the areas of weakness. There is no conceivable reason for this group if players to struggle with the man advantage.

26. PerryK says:

Gagner has been awful. I think that is because he is still hurting. He is staying away from contact at all costs. When there is accidental jostle, he is grabbing his jaw. There is no reason to play him right now. He is hurting our team and himself.

Please place him on IR! Let us bring up Omark and play Arcobello at 2C. Some times I just do not understand our Management Team!

Eakins moved Hall away from 89/64 and put him with 25/83 halfway through the game.

Hope he starts like that tonight so we can see a full game of it.

That sound you may be hearing is Arco eating Gagner’s lunch.

Small sample and all, but Arco is the better player this year in all aspects of the game. Full stop.

One of Gagner or Yak won’t be in the Oilers camp next year.

I hope it’s Yak who shows up.

28. steveb12344 says:

bookje: I generally support Eakins, but he has Perron, Arcobello, a repaired Hemsky, repaired RNH and Belov and the team is doing worse than last year.I know ‘if’ games are problematic, but maybe Kruger’s motivational skills get more out of Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Dubnyk. Maybe the PP works better for him. Maybe an X and O coach as an associate addresses some of the problems with line changes. I don’t know, but I wonder. Kruger would need to address the same problems as Eakins, but his softer approach to doing so may have been more effective.Maybe not.

I hear what you are saying. Though corsi shows Eakins group has been much better 5×5. The PP shooting percentage last year was much higher, and Kreuger’s squad was backstopped by a .919 team save percentage. Eakins has gotten .894 from his goalies. (It gets much worse if you exclude Bryz, and BTO from the equation.)

Last year’s team was propped up by (what the mathletes around here would call unsustainable numbers) on those 2 stats. I don’t think there is any question that if Eakins was getting similar numbers in that regard, that this years results would be a completely different animal.

29. Hammers says:

LT my questions are re all coaches . With 3 assistants shouldn’t 1 be an X/O type , 1 for the “D” and 1 for PP/PK ? Re Larsen , seems his being given more important slot than Petry or Justin and for me he makes as many mistakes as the other 2 . Re Hall & Ebs ; Do you think they have been playing for an Olympic spot or for there team ? As for the number of points we get this mini road trip may give us an idea . My guess is 1 point and then they stagnate even more . Hope I’m wrong

30. bookje says:

steveb12344,

I agree. I just wonder if Kruger would have been better at handeling the struggles of some players. One could argue that it is Arco, Peron and Gordon tilting the Corsi in Eakins favour. There are two many variables to know.

31. jake70 says:

On Arco – in the 3rd, he made himself vulnerable to Chara on the left halfwall to make a pass. He made the pass and I thought he was going to end up like a bug on a windshield, Chara hit him, although not a full on hit, and Arco pushed back and Chara actually bounced off him a bit. Impressive.

32. denny33 says:

Sam Gagner – as LT predicted – got killed last night….

His line looked like it was on the PK for the whole first period.

Beauty play of the game.

Sam loses the defensive zone draw to Bergeron – not a care in the world though….makes a bee line towards centre ice – Bergeron stick handles on DD gets poke checked puck frees up to a 2 -1 for Hall on Gagner…..

Once again, even in rec hockey you would be killed for at least not PRETENDING to watch your opposition centre when you lose the draw in the defensive zone.

I don’t mind if you lose the draw – especially against Bergeron.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD – TIE HIM UP!

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

I think 35 wins is a reasonable target for this team. Agreed?

Whether it’s 24-18-7 or 24-25-0, it’s 24 wins in 49 games. Certainly a reasonable target. Whether it’s an achievable target is another question entirely. This club sure can find ways to lose games.

34. steveb12344 says:

bookje,

Yeah, no question K was the better “player’s coach”. No doubt Yak would certainly agree.

I think Big D is a much better actual coach though, and despite the terrible start, I believe that in time he will prove it in spades.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

From yesterday’s GDT:

If the Nuge comes out of this game -2 or less, that should be considered a victory.

How does +2 sound? How about +2 matched primarily against Chara & Bergeron?

Too bad about that -4 for Gagner and Hall, though. Hey, look at that, we lost 4-2.

I say that with tongue mostly in cheek, cuz there was a considerable amount of luck at play in last night’s +/- (such as Gagner subbing out for RNH about 2 seconds before Perron scored his 2nd), but the 57-93-14 line was a going concern at even strength. Young Willis had the Nuge on-ice for 12 of the Oilers 15 even-strength scoring chances, Perron for 11, Eberle for 9. Wasn’t enough to win, but was enough to be an encouraging sign.

36. denny33 says:

Playing the role of Ryan Whitney this year is Sam Gagner. Playing the role of Ralph Kruegger is Dallas Eakins.

Sam Gagner played nearly 19 minutes last night as a 2C.

At this point, it is now a reflection on the Oilers organization ( has been for a while ) and for Dallas Eakins.

Sam Gagner – against top teams in particular – is very close to embarrassing himself in his own end.

At this time, I am formally asking Dallas Eakins to NOT play Sam Gagner at 2C. He has to be demoted to 4C. As the league, the fans and oilers teammates are aware,- Arco has earned a shot at 2C.

Quite Frankly, IMPOSSIBLE for Arco to do worse than Gagner at 2C.

37. HeyJakel says:

That gif should be titled “Ebs is thirsty”

38. Doomoil says:

Did I just hear Iginla being traded compared to the Gretzky trade?

39. Halfwise says:

denny33,

Maybe MacT and Eakins are building their case for reneging on the verbal NMC. Gagner certainly is.

40. PaperKurtRussell says:

Good morning Mr. Tide. With respect to the often mentioned Ehrhoff for our 1st round pick, I was just thinking that if Buffalo jumped on that, they could have 3 picks in the top 5 (their own, plus Islanders). That would be a crazy rebuild strategy! That Vanek trade is looking brutal for the Islanders. Moulson was a very good player for them, so they got a marginal upgrade at the cost of some good picks… Not exactly a Perron-type deal. Gotta love that guy! He is our Patrick Sharp (i.e. comes from the outside, and snipes key goals along with mature all-around good play). We just need to find our Bickell, Keith and Seabrook somehow… :-(

41. VanOil says:

Something I have be postulating for a while now but I think is important. Gordon has met the high expectations we had of a defensive center. More importantly he has exceeded them offensively, given how low Belanger set the bar that is not surprising.

So I think Belanger has potential to be the Oilers #2 center for this year and the next couple. He will be by draws taken and probably minutes played. Eakins has the MacT blender on pulverize, making line ups largely a myth. But, I think Gordon would be able to put on points if he had Hall and Yak as wingers. Compared to Gagner he could get them the puck off the draw, provide a net presence and cover for them defensively. Gagner is probably a better passer but Hall and Yak are not lacking in that department. Lander standing in Yaks place during Dzone draws makes them a tough v. tough line.

By thinking of Belanger as the #2 center is changes the debate on Arco v. Gagner. It is hard to project Arco as a #2 center because of Smuficitis but he is becoming undeniable as 3d line center. This makes Gagner either a winger or expendable. So do you keep Hemsky or Gagner for roughly the same cost to be the #3 right wing?

42. denny33 says:

Al Strachan called the Edmonton media the most passive and management friendly in the league….

TheOtherJohn pointed this out yesterday:

Here is a list of some forwards that played for Boston last night:

G. Campbell
    R. Smith
    M. Fraser
    M. Johnson
    C. Soderberg
    J. Caron
    R. Spooner

Playing net was someone by the name of Chad Johnson.

Team is ravaged by the stomach flu and some of the guys that dressed were ill.

But here is J. Willis of the Cult of Hockey

As Oilers losses go, this was a pretty palatable one.

if you can’t beat Boston with a back up goalie, at home, icing a team with a flu ravaged lineup – in year 7 of the rebuild – when can you expect to beat them?

43. eidy says:

The thing that surprises me about watching 89 when coming back to his own end. It seems like a disproportionately high number of times his wingers have had to cover for him in the slot. It might be saw him bad selection bias, but it might be something I track going forward. I font notice as much with 93,27,26, or even 51

I am ready to move ganger partly because I would choose 64 over him every day of the week.

Something around ganger, n Schultz/Larsen and kulikov/Mathias.

I also think NYR makes a ton of sense for DD. Getting Clutterbuck would help change our personnel. With how much I love Perron the more I want players of his irritating ilk.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

denny33,

Don’t forget Matt Bartkowksi and Kevan Miller (not to be confused with Kevin Millar, other than neither of them can spell) on the defence crew.

45. Bos8 says:

I was pretty much a Kreuger fan last year. My main concern was that he let the team run loose. Very little attention to detail as in coverage. Now this is from a guy that coached the Swiss into a very defensive set. So was it a mind set? First establish the offense and then start reining in for D?

MacT and Eakins are more – Teach basic D and let the O run loose. The problem that they’re having is inertia and establishing cred. It’s coming in fits and starts but now there are longer fit periods. Boston was a good test. I was ready for a horror show and was totally surprised to watch an excellent hockey game. I want good, entertaining hockey – That’s it, that’s all.

46. Big Dan says:

Dubnyk lost them the Flames game, he let in a stinker from the blueline on Skinner’s tying goal against Carolina (on his knees again), and then he does it again in the first period last night.

Good sign that the Oilers didn’t give up and played well against a good team – with the qualifier that Boston had the flu and a backup goalie. The Oilers have played a lot of weak sisters lately, so you never could tell.

Everybody’s in a panic that the Oilers played poorly in the first. ALL 30 FRANCHISES have bad periods; that’s why you have goalies to bail you out from time to time.

It looks from my eye that the Oilers, while still lazy sometimes defensively (Gagner has to find his way to the pressbox), have turned a corner. I am still stunned that Gagner told HNIC he thinks he is playing well – Eakins needs to give him a wakeup call.

Except the power play. They always have to make every scoring chance a tic tac toe set play. Why not just unexpectedly shoot it from the blueline when the goalie isn’t ready? Get the D to flutter some in – looking for screens, rebounds, deflections? This goes for even strength too. It frustrates me to see opponents score this way on us, but we work so hard to make things pretty.

… And sign Perron to a $6-year $36M extension. He’s our best player. Did you see that one handed wraparound while fending off a Bruin? Love him – he gets better every game. Does he ever take a night off?

So Brian Burke has turned into Kevin Lowe. He will hire his puppet (Tambellini Edm/ Nieuwendyk Cgy) to be the GM, while maintaining full job security. Surprised it took so long. The Flames were supposed to be so good this year!

47. Doomoil says:

I guess we’re at the point of the rebuild where we can mock other teams rosters?

It probably helps if you don’t also look at the team we field in this exercise.

48. Numenius says:

Deep thought for the day.

If the Oil got rid of Dubnyk, would Ilya and BTO be able to take care of Bryzness?

PaperKurtRussell:
    Good morning Mr. Tide.With respect to the often mentioned Ehrhoff for our 1st round pick, I was just thinking that if Buffalo jumped on that, they could have 3 picks in the top 5 (their own, plus Islanders).That would be a crazy rebuild strategy!That Vanek trade is looking brutal for the Islanders.Moulson was a very good player for them, so they got a marginal upgrade at the cost of some good picks…Not exactly a Perron-type deal.Gotta love that guy!He is our Patrick Sharp (i.e. comes from the outside, and snipes key goals along with mature all-around good play).We just need to find our Bickell, Keith and Seabrook somehow…

NYI’s 1st rounder in that deal is “protected”

If the pick is in the top 10 (and it looks that way unless Snow finds a goalie) then NYI has the option of deferring giving BUF their first until 2015.

50. fifthcartel says:

Can Perron play goaltender?

51. delooper says:

fifthcartel:
    Can Perron play goaltender?

He won’t be able to maintain his scoring pace.

52. Lucinius says:

If Gagner is not traded or moved to wing in the next five games, imo, Eakins and MacT deserve any and all flak sent their way. I know he has fans here, but Gagner has proven he is NOT an NHL center. He is a winger. Move him to wing.

When Gordon comes back the lines should be something like;

RNH — Hall — Eberle
    Arco — Gagner — Yakupov
    Gordon — Perron — Hemsky
    Lander — Joenssu — Jones/Smyth/Gazdic

Second line gets sheltered. First line goes power verse power. Third line checks and creates offense. Fourth line plugs away hoping to not be a black hole of suck.

Its simple.

Then fix the powerplay!

RNH — Hall — Eberle — J. Schultz — Yakupov.

Set in a typical powerplay formation with RNH on the far half-boards, Hall on the near half-boards and Eberle down low and in front. J. Schultz and Yak at the points. One of them has an excellent powerplay wrist shot from the point, the other a bomb in the truest sense of the word. Plays include; Yak one timers, Schultz wrist shots, Hall one times, Eberle tips, RNH wrist shots.

Done. Simple, now second unit!

Arcobello — Perron — Joenssu/Smyth — Hemsky — Larsen/Velov/Petry.

Arcobello on far half-boards, Hemsky on near half-boards, Joenssu/Smyth in front/down low. Perron at point, but cycling through-out the zone and coming in down low. Token defenseman at point to get to the people that matter and one time it when possible. Hemsky distributes the puck. If at least four of the five players on this powerplay remain active and move around it will be successful.

No Gagner on the powerplay, period. He has not earned powerplay time. Should he earn it, you put him on the second unit in place of Joenssu/Smyth and have him play it like Eberle.

Done.

This stuff isn’t hard.

53. Henry says:

The Nuge played a fantastic game last night. His skating and quickness were spectacular against top defensive guys.

I’ll be interested to see his play tonight though. I can’t quantify it, but in back to backs and when they’ve been playing a lot this year, Nuge seems to lose a half step. Almost like his skates touch the ice.

54. supernova says:

Woodguy: NYI’s 1st rounder in that deal is “protected”

Woodguy,

Maybe a deal that works for both oilers and islanders is a fresh start for Dubnyk with the isles.

There are a few pieces that each team has that could make a deal work and cap space on both sides.

Maybe something around Dubnyk and Hemsky and something for Nielsen and / or clutterbuck and something.

Would love harmonic but he is probably untouchable.

55. supernova says:

delooper: He won’t be able to maintain his scoring pace.

He also has the biggest give a crap meter on the team right now. More Perron less of other people who don’t bring it, his scoring pace could increase because Eakins could keep increasing his ice time.

56. Kris11 says:

If Dubnyk was playing at 0.92 SV% instead of 0.89, the Oilers would have 20 !!!! fewer goals against t and would be near break even at GF-GA and Corsi events.

In terms of wins, that would put them in a place where they could have a shot at a playoff spot.

I have to imagine that management isour on Dubnyk now and blames him, and will not resign him, for good or for ill.

There are other problems this year. A team that took a while and is still adjusting to a new team system. Some injuries early. Bad two way play by near-rookies Yakupov and J Schultz. A D-corps that is clearly in the bottom 6 or seven teams in the league. Awful season from Gagner.

But really the only serious problem is goaltending. Seriously.

57. DBO says:

Perron-Nuge-eberle
    Hall-Arco-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Gordon-Lander
    Jones-Gagner-Yak

3rd line is a true checking line with grit and smarts. and the 4th line can be sheltered and fed easy minutes. Please Eakins have some balls and make Gagner and Yak earn more ice time.

58. Lois Lowe says:

I really didn’t have Gags picked as the scape goat this year for Oiler fans, but I can’t say that I have seen him good in the last 82 games either. I only tuned in for the final 5 minutes of last night’s game and I saw that the power play let the team down again.

Glad to hear that Arco played well last night again, hard not to cheer for a normal sized human in a world full of giants. The Oilers would be wise to sign him for 2 years sooner, rather than later. He’s an actual NHL player, be it 4C or 2C, the man just makes good hockey plays.

59. Bos8 says:

supernova: Why not? He is shooting his career average, biggest difference is system and usage.

Now that’s funny.

60. Doomoil says:

fifthcartel:
    Can Perron play goaltender?

delooper: He won’t be able to maintain his scoring pace.

61. Bos8 says:

Just for the record. This is the best that I’ve seen Hemsky play in like forever. If some of the others, playing with him, could think at his pace, they’d be monsters. Just head for open ice with your stick down.

I find myself saying “Damn, that was freakin awesome.”

62. Jordan says:

Woodguy:

Hope he starts like that tonight so we can see a full game of it.

I would like to see it too. I don’t think anyone has any doubts about the chemistry Hall and Arco have, and any Oilers fan worth their salt knows how much he enjoys his hemmer.

Woodguy:
    That sound you may be hearing is Arco eating Gagner’s lunch.

What I don’t understand is why there has been NO movement on the part of the coach on this. I mean, it’s clear Gags is gagging hard. Mark came in and started by stealing his fruit, then his sandwich, then both his cookies and then polished off his chocolate milk.

There’s no more lunch to steal, but the Oilers continue to embarras Samwise by putting him out and watching him drown and say he’s swimming.

Hell – Mark’s even stolen the chemistry Sam used to have with Hall & Ebs.

If I was Sam, I’d be keeping a close eye on my girlfriend, my locker, and my contract because those are the only things left that 26 hasn’t taken from our poor little hobbit.

Woodguy:
    One of Gagner or Yak won’t be in the Oilers camp next year.

I hope it’s Yak who shows up.

There’s a lot of people who will disagree with me here, and that’s fine, but considering what the Oilers have… I’d be fine with trading both of them, provided part of the return includes a first pairing defender and a 2nd/3rd line winger whose passion for hard work, hockey and his team mates burns with the fire of a thousand suns. Whether Nail becomes Bure or not, they don’t need a Bure, a bure-lite, or a Bure-not quite. What they need is better rounded hockey players, and some elite D.

And a goalie, but I wouldn’t ever trade skilled forwards to goalies. That’s like buying lottery tickets with gold from a snake oil salesman. Sure you might win, but you already lost just by making the deal.

63. jfry says:

about a month ago Larsen had 3 assists but was minus 3 and I suggested that he had a bad game, camouflaged with some lucky point shots and bounces. he had no idea how to cover his man in the slot and that he’s a stick waver, not a body taker. I suggested that this was an epidemic within the team, it was not well received here.

last night the marchand goal was another example of our defender (eberle on the play) not taking the man and instead waving his stick at the puck. this was bush league defence. why aren’t we taking the man? it’s so predictable.

and with regards to the AHL team that beat us. did any of you watch their system play? even with all the guys out, getting out of their end and getting the puck deep was easy for them. constantly regrouping in their end behind the net, setting up the pawns and making really quick passes to get it out. no one skating it out. god, it’s so nice to watch. the complete opposite of what the oil do. only arco and yak understand the idea of regrouping on a break out, instead of just going hog wild up the boards into a predictable, cross the blue line drop pass. our system play this year is embarrassing to watch — yes, I know corsi is up a whole two points.

also, why did we trade smid? was he being a dick in the locker room? seems to me he got traded about a week after he called guys out.

________________________________

watched the game on NESN. the interviews after the game were interesting. Julien described the Oilers as “a very good team that has won 7 or their last 11 and we were lucky to win with all our injuries.” The back up goalie said, “they take a lot of shot from the outside and then crash the net hard, so I just had to control rebounds” … marchand said, “very fast team that we were able to keep to the outside”

64. Bos8 says:

What I like about Eakins is that he goes overboard in supporting his players. I’m sure he can see Gagner’s struggles and he keeps running him out there at some risk to himself. Tough love and empathy – very unusual.

65. supernova says:

Bos8: Now that’s funny.

Glad your amused.

Time on ice is a big factor.

Perron has proven he is a scores in the double digits with shooting percantage. Now he is getting a full 2 minutes more per game as well as one minute more per 60 on the PP.

66. OilClog says:

…Whether Nail becomes Bure or not, they don’t need a Bure, a bure-lite, or a Bure-not quite. What they need is better rounded hockey players, and some elite D…

Full stop.

Gagner has no place on the team right now, hopefully MacT can upgrade. Lots of pieces to work with, Trading Yakupov is a guaranteed loss.

67. Caramel Obvious says:

There is no need for Arcobello to take Gagner’s spot. On this team the terms #2 and #3 center are without meaning. They had virtually the same ice time at even strength. That’s what matters.

Once Gordon is back we’ll see what happens.

68. Old School G says:

OilClog:

Full stop.

There it is! (tips his hat)

69. Old School G says:

Caramel Obvious:
    There is no need for Arcobello to take Gagner’s spot.On this team the terms #2 and #3 center are without meaning.They had virtually the same ice time at even strength.That’s what matters.

Once Gordon is back we’ll see what happens.

Any idea when that beauty, Boyd Gordon, is back in the lineup?

70. G Money says:

OilClog: You do not trade a Bure, but what he really is.. Is a Ovi-Light. He hits with a vengence, and when he’s 23 on, Yakupov will be considered a power forward. The idea of trading Yakupov is absolutely bananas. It’s his 2nd season!! F off!

I agree, but it’s also relevant to point out that it is *not* actually Yak’s 2nd season, it is still his first.

FYI, here is a quick comparison of Yak’s first 79 games and Stamkos’ first season (also 79 games):
    Stamkos: 23 g, 23 a, 46 pts
    Yak: 22 g, 20 a, 42 pts

The point here is not to suggest that Yak will be the next Stamkos. The point is that in his first full season, the Yak attack is right on track for what he should end up being: an elite goal scorer.

And you just don’t trade those away unless it brings back something equally valuable, like a 1D.

Big Dan,

Making him take a regular shift with 64/6 instead of 4/83 is a message/wake up call.

72. VanOil says:

supernova: Woodguy,

Would love harmonic but he is probably untouchable.

73. Logan91 says:

Old School G: Any idea when that beauty, Boyd Gordon, is back in the lineup?

Tonight!

supernova: Woodguy,

Would love harmonic but he is probably untouchable.

I doubt you can pry Nielsen out of NYI

Logan91: Tonight!

If 27 is back, where 89 and 25 slot will be interesting.

Its on the road so much less media after the game.

If 26 lines up with 4 and 83 to start then I applaud the coach.

If 26 slots with 27 or 51 then I’m sad.

76. Logan91 says:

Woodguy: If 27 is back, where 89 and 25 slot will be interesting.

Its on the road so much less media after the game.

If 26 lines up with 4 and 83 to start then I applaud the coach.

If 26 slots with 27 or 51 then I’m sad.

VanOil: I think Brock Nelson is the Islander you want to get. Today’s Dubnyk is probably not enough, last weeks maybe, last years definitely. He is a young large center who is a Corgi monster. His CF% 52.6 on a poor team as a rookie playing way up the order due to injuries speaks to all kinds of good things. http://www.extraskater.com/player/928/brock-nelson

Based on who he’s playing with, it looks like he’s playing LW

Yup,

Only 42 FO taken.

Nice numbers for a big young man.

Never seen him play.

His last season in AHL looks like Lander’s, which is not a bad thing.

I’d like to see Lander with real NHLers before I throw him out.

78. Henry says:

Woodguy: I doubt you can pry Nielsen out of NYI

I don’t know. Apparently you can pry their first rounder for a 60 game upgrade of their top line.

I don’t want to trade Hemsky anyway playing the way he is now.

79. Andy P says:

I’ve just done some basic analysis on some 2013 Goaltending scenarios. Lots of holes, but gives some indication on where we may have been with the average 2013 performance of each goalie on the Roster, YTD.
    First of all, I converted everything into W or L, whether Shootout or Overtime, to get a simple W/L.
    Then I modeled what our YTD Win ratio would be with each of the roster posting their average YTD save %. Here’s how it comes out:
    Actual, .333
    Bryz .576
    BTO .424
    DD .364
    LaB .273.

In other words, had any of the above G’s had played every game this year, and posted their YTD average saves for every game played, that’s how we would theoretically turned out.

this also kind of lines up with how I think the goalies stack up against each other.

Just sayin’.

80. VanOil says:

Woodguy,

Brock Nelson’s development path is bizzaro compared to what the Oilers did with Lander. They left him in the AHL to get over ripe. Gave him a taste of the NHL in the Playoffs then, when he made the team, they set him up to succeed by mainly playing him on the wing to start. Imagine.

81. slopitch says:

Did anyone see Lucics hand after fighting Gazic last night? I cant imagine punching a visor as hard as I could. Too bad they are mandatory. http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/120627 and the score card after 679 votes is 41.7% to 41.7% and the remaining votes are a draw. Good tilt.

Suck it Vancouver. Still my least favorite team in the league and I respect the Sedins. Go Oilers!

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Its on the road so much less media after the game.

If anything, I’d guess the media glare will be very high tonight. If 89 gets pushed down it will probably get noticed, a lot.

Romulus Apotheosis: Tonight is a rare HNIC Friday game. I’m not sure the “much less media” deal applies. National broadcast and all, these kinds of games give the national media (tv and print) the opportunity to check in on teams and key in on current trends.

Good point.

Didn’t know it was HNIC.

My guess is that Eakins starts 89 with 4 and 83.

Hope I’m wrong.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Good point.

Didn’t know it was HNIC.

My guess is that Eakins starts 89 with 4 and 83.

Hope I’m wrong.

I wish HNIC did more of this. I hope Rogers follows through with their Sunday and Wed. broadcasts.

With Gordon back I’d like to see 89 get some vet love like 94 and 83 and if 94 is still out (probably is), I’d put him with 57 and 83. Centering the 3rd line of course.

Otherwise, I’d just give in and put him on Arco or Gordon’s wing.

Logan91: Gordon has proven he can score and play with skill, not to mention he’s the best defensive forward on the team. At this point, I’m surprised he’s not the 2nd line centre.

Arco has shown real nice play with skill and has more of a history with it in the AHL than Gordon does in his career.

You need Gordon to get 70% of the DZ FO so you can’t put him with you scoreres.

Given the roster as it sits I like:

27 and 51 take most of the draws in the Dzone, unless 26 is out there.

86. Doomoil says:

supernova: Glad your amused.

Time on ice is a big factor.

Listen dude, I like Perron, you like Perron, everyone likes Perron.

But he ain’t scoring 35 times while playing goal.

87. spoiler says:

LT said…

Hall is shooting at the greatest pace of his NHL career this season… 3.62 shots per game. If the distribution of those shots, EV-PP, is relatively similar to past seasons, then the problem with Hall and the battling Corgis is not on the shots and attempts he is generating, but on the shots and attempts he is allowing. Or linemates…

Gagner is shooting slightly ahead of his career pace and about the same as last year. Same with Eberle. Nuge is shooting at a greater rate this year…

Now I don’t have full shot attempt data here at work or qualcomp or zone starts, but it seems to me Hall is bleeding shot attempts against at a greater rate this year. Cheating for O.

I think maybe the kid’s head is too focused on the Olympic roster.

Doomoil: Listen dude, I like Perron, you like Perron, everyone likes Perron.

But he ain’t scoring 35 times while playing goal.

Negative Nancy.

89. bookje says:

Doomoil: Listen dude, I like Perron, you like Perron, everyone likes Perron.

But he ain’t scoring 35 times while playing goal.

Well, not in one game,

90. G Money says:

Andy P: Actual, .333
    Bryz .576
    BTO .424
    DD .364
    LaB .273.

In his next game, he let in 4 goals on 26 shots for a .846 gaa.

That .915 sv% is not what it appears.

91. Bos8 says:

SuperNova

Listen, I didn’t mean to upset you. You had a little oversight, no biggie. The comments that followed were a little tongue in cheek, again good stuff. All in fun. Here’s to a good game tonight.

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

93. G Money says:

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

Not if you believe slavishly in the certainty of the win-loss pattern. Sure fire win tonight, bookje it!

94. Pouzar says:

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

Yup…I’ve got $50 that says so as well. I call it “emotional well being” insurance. If that doesn’t kill the pain the Malbec will.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The amazing thing about Dubnyk is (and I mentioned this like a week ago), he somehow picked the “best” year (I mean this facetiously obviously) to blow a tire, all of them really.

Most years on most teams a goalie struggling this badly wouldn’t be given so many opportunities to regain the cat bird seat.

Dubnyk has seen failsafe after failsafe (Labarbera, Bachman and Bryz) break behind him, giving him another shot at the title each time.

It’s weird… because on the one hand fate has served up some terrible games for Dubnyk… but on the other hand fate refuses to let him off the hook… get back on that damn bike she keep saying!

At this point, I’m near convinced neither Bachman nor Bryz make it through the season alive. Fate will do what it takes to make sure Dubnyk remains the starter.

96. TheOtherJohn says:

G Money: Not if you believe slavishly in the certainty of the win-loss pattern.Sure fire win tonight, bookje it!

Guys: corner turned, systems learned, no injuries to speak of,etc 5-5-2 in last 12.Oil 5-2 winners……… and a 25 yr old Katherine Ross is calling out my name…….

Er…… wakes up……sorry dreaming: Oilers 5-10-2 in last 17 Nucks 6-3 and Oil struggle mightily against a good NHL D

97. Lois Lowe says:

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

I am going to the game tonight. My win/loss record for live games in recent history is 0-1-1; with the shoot out loss being the Patrick Stefan game.

I hate the Dys the most of any team, hopefully something just as unbelievable happens.

98. bookje says:

Why not start LaBarbara. He’s last three times in a game have been very good. 2 NHL periods and two AHL games.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    Why not start LaBarbara.He’s last three times in a game have been very good.2 NHL periods and two AHL games.

JW’s answer seems pretty reasonable:

“G1. Devan Dubnyk. We know that Eakins is rolling Dubnyk, and the bottom line here is that we know Jason LaBarbera has no future in Edmonton. It makes sense to use the guy who a) has been better over the long term and b) will still be on the NHL roster after Ilya Bryzgalov gets healthy.”

100. RexLibris says:

Can we PLEASE trade Gagner now. A Gardiner-Gagner swap would be tee-rrific.

101. VanOil says:

RexLibris:

Can we PLEASE trade Gagner now. A Gardiner-Gagner swap would be tee-rrific.

Agreed

102. hunter1909 says:

Boston simply had themselves a fun hockey game last night. Oilers for their part made it appear to be a close one, which it wasn’t at all. A learning experience for the young oilers, is all.

Dubnyk: His game is entirely based on percentages. He 100% driven by automatic transmission, that means no clutch. The only tell in his game is whether or not he lets in a single bad goal, in which case I’d suggest he’s hooked instantly before he lets in another and another.

Also, isn’t Franz Kafka’s Metamorphosis character Gregor 6’6″ tall? This might help explain some of the holes in Dubnyk’s style; since Gregor, as a 6’6″ man turned cockroach has holes along the side of his outer shell.

103. hunter1909 says:

Lowe gives Dubnyk 10 seasons to “develop” and flushes away Yakupov before he’s even played 1 single fucking season!!???? This is a serious idea? For a team that hasn’t even made the playoffs in almost 10 years?

Please do it Lowe. I need that final straw to once and for all stop watching your winning hockey team.

supernova: Woodguy,

Would love harmonic but he is probably untouchable.

I heard that Doobie for Hickey was almost a done deal before Brzy got hurt.

No idea as to the veracity of the info, but no reason to discount it too much.

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

Glad to know the Oilers are going to gut one out in OT.

Yay!

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

A healthy Kessler is a scary thing.

107. steveb12344 says:

OGDP: Doobie gets lit up again, and The Oil get smoked!

RexLibris:

Can we PLEASE trade Gagner now. A Gardiner-Gagner swap would be tee-rrific.

Given the smoke signals in TOR they may fire the coach before they trade Gardiner.

109. fifthcartel says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 7s
    Oilers lines: Perron-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Arcobello-Hemsky, Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov, Gazdic-Gagner-Jones

Gagner on the fourth line!!!!

fifthcartel:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 7s

Gagner on the fourth line!!!!

hunter1909: Idiot idea of todays blog: Since Perron scored two meaningless goals once the Bruins took their foot off the accelerator oilers now can trade Yakupov away for magical properties.

Two things:

1) Agreed 100% on Yak

2) You bringing Kafka’s cockroach into the thread is awesome.

Lowetide: That’s on merit. Leave him there until he’s back to last year levels or Arcobello falters.

Its no longer a man crush.

I am full blown head over heels in love with Eakins.

113. Captain Smarmy says:

The Oilers are going to get killed tonight. Book it.

Hope they stick it up your backside!

GO RIDERS!

Captain Smarmy: Hope they stick it up your backside!

GO RIDERS!

Me too! Riders are going to lose some GREAT players Monday!!!1 YEAH BABY!!!

115. Caramel Obvious says:

Woodguy: Its no longer a man crush.

I am full blown head over heels in love with Eakins.

Me too. But that may have been obvious.

116. Captain Smarmy says:

Flags fly forever.

(And the eskies might have a chance yadda yadda yadda)

117. ashley says:

I think the problem with Hall is that he is not always with RNH and Eberle like he was the previous two years. RNH and Eberle are excellent puck retrievers and maintain possession once they have it. They actually all work really well together. Hall backs off the defence with blinding speed, and RNH and Eberle weave some magic in the Ozone. Hall pounces on the rebounds.

RNH never shoots it in. He wants to carry it, and has had more than his share of blueline turnovers this year. He’s used to attacking with speed with Hall and Eberle as his wingmen. There is no blueline turnover when the D pairing’s knees are shaking as they collapse toward the net.

Perhaps we just need the three of them together again for a long time. At least at home.

ashley:
    I think the problem with Hall is that he is not always with RNH and Eberle like he was the previous two years.RNH and Eberle are excellent puck retrievers and maintain possession once they have it.They actually all work really well together.Hall backs off the defence with blinding speed, and RNH and Eberle weave some magic in the Ozone.Hall pounces on the rebounds.

RNH never shoots it in.He wants to carry it, and has had more than his share of blueline turnovers this year.He’s used to attacking with speed with Hall and Eberle as his wingmen.There is no blueline turnover when the D pairing’s knees are shaking as they collapse toward the net.

Perhaps we just need the three of them together again for a long time.At least at home.

I agree.

57-26-83 might work together too and not get crushed by the likes of Kessler.

119. Andy P says:

G Money: This made me chuckle. Just a quick reminder about the importance of sample size:Richard Bachman’s first game, the one that turned him into everyone’s new favourite thing: he let in 1 goal on 48 shots, for a 0.979 gaa.In his next game, he let in 4 goals on 26 shots for a .846 gaa.In his game after that, he let in 2 goals on 8 shots for a .750 sv % (Barbie played the rest of the game).That .915 sv% is not what it appears.

It’s nothing more or less than an arithmetic average to take us a step up from pure gut feel about goalies.

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

How come those fucks down at the league office didn’t mention the Oil once during the pre-game show?

I think the answer lies in how many corgis died on that first shift.

Since the OIlers are playing the Dys, lets all take a moment to bask in the genius that is Mike Gillis.

Zack Kassian for Cody Hodgson.

122. SK Oiler Fan says:

This isn’t a fair fight

The Corgi’s are drowning.

124. D says:

Oilers starting slowly.

125. rich says:

D:
    Oilers starting slowly.

A keen grasp of the obvious sir.

126. D says:

HALL!!! Nice def. play there.

127. linkfromhyrule says:

can someone please tell me why eakins has such a man crush on larsen? That dude is just bad sometimes

128. D says:

rich: A keen grasp of the obvious sir.

I was hoping for a different start :)

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

No goals score. Still, that may have been one of the worst 10-12 minutes of Oiler hockey all season. Top 3 worst 10 minute segment anyway.

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

D:
    HALL!!!Nice def. play there.

131. gogliano says:

If you play NHL ’14 on the XBox does Hughson use the passive voice when describing the actions of teams opposing the Canucks? E.g., “The puck goes off a stick, which is Taylor Hall’s,” to describe a forward breaking up a Vancouver two on one with a pokecheck?

Hall made a nice play coming back very hard on a two on one (ended up being a 3-on-2 but full credit) and then defended a two on one well. Good start 4.

133. bookje says:

D: I was hoping for a different start

They are terribly sad that Dubnyk is in net.

134. Andy P says:

bookje,

I wasn’t happy about DD in net but right now he is exceeding my expectations.

I’m liking Belov, I think. It’s hard to say with all of the sniper fire but he seems to be a physical presence and is breaking up some sorties.

136. D says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You have to stare in wild eyed wonder at how he ended up all alone in his own end… yikes, this team sucks.

He’s getting to practice his back-checking.

137. D says:

bookje: They are terribly sad that Dubnyk is in net.

138. Southern Oil says:

I sincerely hope T. Hall scores so many goals over the next month, Canada is forced to pick him. Dip shits! This guy needs to be on the team.

Moroz with his 20th tonight, and an assist.

Ghastly powerplay.

141. Gerta Rauss says:

Well, our team gets a participation ribbon after that 1st period.

142. D says:

Survived first period without a collapse. Very nice.

143. bookje says:

Ghastly powerplay.

Ghastly Everything

144. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Its no longer a man crush.

I am full blown head over heels in love with Eakins.

The leash for established talent and coming back from injury was long, but not indefinite.

Loving it.

145. bookje says:

D:
    Survived first period without a collapse.Very nice.

I think you mean they survived the collapse without a gold against.

146. Lucinius says:

This is not a surprise, however.

Send more Corgi’s!

148. SK Oiler Fan says:

I’ll repeat the most common thing yelled at Oiler Fan TVs since 2002. Shoot the puck Hemsky! Luo made a nice play there, obviously familiar with Hemsky’s obsession with one last move.
    Predictable period. DD higher in the crease than his typical on most shots.

149. D says:

bookje: I think you mean they survived the collapse without a gold against.

Very much so!

150. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The other thing about the Gagner to 4th line on a HNIC night, when he is going to be a target considering the Kassian incident… is that it probably signals that Eakins isn’t getting a “push Gagner we’re trading him” line from mgt.

This reads like more of a “he’s our player and we’re going to work with him to get back on his feet” kind of move….

Of course, the fact that he’s on the 4th line could lead to the inevitable out-of-town narratives: “Gagner having trouble under Eakins, is he available?”

151. Captain Smarmy says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Any of that could be taken any way.

152. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Where’s our puff piece on Nurse?

Is HNIC now just fucking Nucks night in Canada?

(not taking away from Horvat. like him a lot and nice story. now, get out of London so Platzer can get some TOI)

153. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Smarmy: Any of that could be taken any way.

It’s a classic Rom post, then!! All POVs welcome, none will gain a winning foothold!

154. flyfish1168 says:

Wow Gordon back and Gagner still in line up. I hope its because they are showcasing him. Make room for Arco for the rest of the season.

155. RexLibris says:

Missed the 1st, just logged on to TSN to check the score and then ES to see what the lay of the land was.

Looks like the Oilers were lucky to come out of that period with their jocks on (I’m guessing they kept them on).

156. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168:

He’s on the 4th line. Lander is a HS.

157. G Money says:

- The book is out on the Oilers. They’re going to start every game hoping it’s a no-hit river hockey game, so do not pace yourself, hit them, pressure them, go after them with everything, leave nothing on the ice after the first period. Almost certain you’ll bury them deep enough they won’t get back in, no matter how hard they start trying after the first period. We’ll have to see if the Oilers push back now or just cave. They are almost as fragile as often as they are lazy.

Andy P: It also happens to line up with how I feel about the oprder of competence of our goalies. I would welcome any additional stats you might be able to dig up, and I don’t profess the work that I did to be more than what it is.

It’s not a matter of stats really. Bachman has played 35 games in the NHL and even after that incredible Kings effort, he’s a .903 goalie. That means he’s about as good (crappy) so far as Dubnyk has been this season. And just as Dubnyk has had some extremely good games so far, just as Bachman had one. Just one. To suggest that this somehow makes Bachman a better goalie is ridiculous.

158. G Money says:

Send more Corgi’s!

You want to drown more Corgis?? Why do you hate animals so much!?

159. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Where’s our puff piece on Nurse?

Is HNIC now just fucking Nucks night in Canada?

Because the Leafs weren’t playing tonight, they went with Canada’s Other Official Team, according to the “suits in TO”.

To be fair though, they did do that feel-good interview with Krueger last year in an After Hours.

I’ve gotten used to the cold shoulder from HNIC, it’ll make the eventual success (big leap, I know) of this franchise all the sweeter.

160. Pouzar says:

This team gets NOTHING offensively from it’s D. It’s sad.

161. RexLibris says:

Moroz with his 20th tonight, and an assist.

And an assist and a penalty.

Man those Hurricanes (Lethrbidge, that is), though. Can’t win for losing when they’ve been terrible for forever and still miss out on drafting a kid like Benson.

I’ve a friend over at FN who is a ‘Canes fan in addition to the Flames. Sometimes it is almost too easy.

162. flyfish1168 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Would like to see Sam a healthy scratch and Lander play. Sam needs more classroom time.

Eakins needs to man up to his comments on accountability and responsible play.

3 games in four nights means coaching and using the bench properly can go a long way.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

89 is amazing.

He’s been relegated to the 4th line. He’s got control of the puck unmolested in his own zone and two passing options unpressured. what does he do exiting the zone? pass it to a nuck standing a dead center of the ice.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Eakins needs to man up to his comments onaccountability and responsible play.

Baby steps friend.

Moving 89 to the 4th line is HUGE.

There is simply NO WAY to minimize this move.

165. flyfish1168 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I saw that just as I hit he send button to reply to your other comment

166. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This PK should be interesting.

Penalty on Arcobello there, but at least he was in the race and had a play to make.

168. Captain Smarmy says:

Scherbak said he wants to play with Yak City plus he’s better then Draisatlerslakderszzzers.

169. SK Oiler Fan says:

wow, that wasn’t really a penalty on Sedin, but there must be a directive from somewhere to crack down on their interference. First time I’ve seen them called on it even though they do it all the time

170. D says:

Pretty decent deflection. Not sure Dubnyk had a chance on that one.

171. hunter1909 says:

It’s okay.

I was going to start drinking whisky anyway.

172. flyfish1168 says:

Chase 1 assist so far

173. Cobbler says:

Hughson, such a homer. Painful to listen to. GReeaaatttt saaavvveeee. Luuuuuongooooo!

174. rich says:

Is it too much to ask for someone to shoot the puck?

175. tcho says:

Wow. Shot clock at 21-7. This would be a good warmup for Vancouver to play a real team…

176. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The enigmatic Yakupov”

good job Hughson.

177. D says:

Nice save there.

178. Cobbler says:

hunter1909,

Way ahead of ya man. Midnight in NL. Weeeeeeeeeee!

179. hunter1909 says:

Perron makes that slot chance and I don’t write this, but he’s in the same tier as Gagner as a hockey player. That means he’s a clear level under Eberle, Hall etc (includes Yakupov for the special needs posters).

180. tcho says:

hunter1909,

I’m joining you on the whiskey train. Cheers, man.

181. hunter1909 says:

Oilers only play once the other team goes ahead by a goal or three. Extraordinary.

182. hunter1909 says:

Nucks fans can rejoice in the clinical manner that their team has oilers by their wimpo throats. This is a game oilers don’t look like having a hope in hell of winning. This is going to be a fun road trip.

183. flyfish1168 says:

Garnet 2 assist, Klefblom 1 assist, Hamilton -3 and Pitlick -3 ouch

184. Cobbler says:

Greeaaatttt saaaaavvveee. Dubnykkkkkkkkkkk!

185. hunter1909 says:

That pesky last minute of every period “Dubnyk’s Magic Minute” lol

186. tcho says:

Balvenie, by the way.

187. hunter1909 says:

I shouldn’t even know this but that’s 100% got to be a weed grow light being used as the HNIC logo.

188. hunter1909 says:

This is the season I stopped expecting Taylor hall to score every time he entered the opposition zone with the puck. :(

189. G Money says:

Oh well, at least the patented Oiler 1 good minute – 10 good minutes – 19 good minutes by period pattern is right on track.

Ah fuck it.

Go Oilers!

190. SK Oiler Fan says:

Oiler D as currently constructed will never be able to handle a fore check like the Canucks have thrown at them tonight. Belov and Petry are the only ones that have a sniff at a decent breakout and they’re hanging on by a thread.

191. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Baby steps friend.

Moving 89 to the 4th line is HUGE.

There is simply NO WAY to minimize this move.

Didn’t Quinn start Gagner on the 4th line too?

;)

Back then I was a big Gagner supporter. I’ve never believed that size is the be all and end all for a player’s potential as many seemed to argue, and as LT would say he had lots of blacktop ahead of him.

That road is behind him now and the odometer shows mileage but he’s still a long way from the destination, so I agree with you. Demoting him at this stage and giving the time to Arcobello is very refreshing.

192. G Money says:

RexLibris: Demoting him at this stage and giving the time to Arcobello is very refreshing.

Struth. But also struth that Arco is (like the rest of the team) not showing so well under the pressure.

193. hunter1909 says:

G Money: Hemsky is starting to piss me off. We all marvel at his talent, but this “dangle until you lose the puck” eight times a game shtick is not only getting old, but it appears to have badly infected most of the wunderkids now. For fucks sake – how many opportunities to shoot can one team pass up? ["pass up" - see what I did there?]

Hemsky is like Dubnyk – for all of his supposed greatness he provides approximately zero to do with the team winning.

194. hunter1909 says:

I’d keep – Hall/Yaks/Eberle/RNH/ Gagner/Perron

I’d try to lose – Hemsky

I’d also try to add a few big hitters to the top 9, 6, 3 etc.

No idea re the defense, aside from getting better players.

Goal is easy. Lose Dubnyk, asap.

195. G Money says:

hunter1909:

When the Bruins and Iggy were in town the other night, the TV here in Calgary kept showing a ton of highlights from Iggy’s career. The similarity between Iggy and Hall striding down the boards with the puck in full flight is actually quite stunning. The difference? Iggy’s highlights consistently showed him reaching the top of the circle and then if the defender played him close, he’d either turn on the jets (and he never had the jets that Hall does) and go around the defender and drive to the net, or if the defender gave him room (most often), he’d fake outside and cut inside and drive to the net. More often than not, he’d get a shot and goal, but even if he didn’t, the shot was hard enough to result in a rebound chance for the skater behind him (who of course was often driving to the net).

Hall now skates in, stops and turns, and then either loses the puck or passes it to another Oiler perimeter player.

Maybe Hall should watch a few hundred of those Iggy highlights and we could get that “score every time” feeling back…

196. linkfromhyrule says:

lol that katy perry highlight package was somethin……..

Newer Comments »