OILERS AT FLAMES, G40 13-14

The Oilers come out of the break with a game against their provincial (used to be) rival, the Calgary Flames. Calgary is ahead by 7 points, with 2 games in hand, which means they’re basically out of reach for the Oilers.

Incredible.

OILERS GOALS, BY DISCIPLINE

• 5×5 GOALS FOR: 61
  • 5X5 GOALS AGAINST:90
  • 4X4 GOALS FOR: 4
  • 4X4 GOALS AGAINST: 4
  • EMPTY NET GOALS FOR: 4
  • EMPTY NET GOALS AGAINST: 8
  • POWERPLAY GOALS FOR: 25
  • POWERPLAY GOALS AGAINST: 25 (when Oilers are shorthanded)
  • SHORTHANDED GOALS FOR: 1
  • SHORTHANDED GOALS AGAINST: 8 (when Oilers are on powerplay)

What a mess. The powerplay is a net 17 because they’ve given up so many shorthanded goals, and their 5×5 is simply horrible. What can a team, halfway through the season, do about a 61-90 GF-GA gap at 5×5? Well, I’d suggest work like buggers improving that number in the second half!

WE ARE HERE! Let’s wipe the slate clean and make the second half 90-61! They have enough talent to score the 90, I’ll say that much about this bunch. The goaltending seems to be returning to something resembling normal, so that leaves playing without the puck.

FIRST CALLUPmarincinferguson

Martin Marincin hasn’t reached first callup status (I think Taylor Fedun would be the selection if healthy) but this is his second recall and that must mean he’s doing enough good work to be considered a reasonable option for next season.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, F’S

post-christmas sledgehammer

Look at that beautiful blue bubble representing David Perron. Coach Dallas Eakins will play him with Nuge and Hall tonight, second game in a row. It looks like that trio works, even through you’d think foot speed would be an issue. Perron’s a player I love to watch, he skates upright like Ken Hodge or Claude LaRose of my youth, and he’s such an exceptional player with the puck. I continue to be amazed by St. Louis undervaluing him—they’re smart cookies—and with Perron on a 78, 33-31-64 pace there’ s a good chance that blue bubble makes him Oilers MVP for 2013-14.

A few other bubble notes:

• Ryan Smyth! I’d sign him for another year. 4line mind, PK, but what a warrior.
  • Boyd Gordon is Henri Charrière.
  • The top 6 forwards (Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Nuge, Gagner, Yakupov) not named Perron are all being used in the same general way.
  • Perron’s playing tough minutes, less than 50% OZ starts, big blue bubble. Lordy.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, D’S

post-christmas d sledge

Notice Justin Schultz getting the soft parade and wonderful zone starts and yet not acquiring a blue bubble? Not good, people. The tough minutes are going to the much-maligned Jeff Petry and Andrew Ference, while Phil Larsen is also along for the ride. Nick Schultz is wearing a bad color against soft comp, Belov a little better in a spot where he should thrive.

Looking at this graph, the only guys I’m liking are Petry and Ference.

Both of these graphs are a little aged, as both the Vollman and Behind the net sites are lagging. Extra Skater is brilliantly updated, I’ll post their numbers tomorrow for the GDT.

I HATE THIS

The Oilers are doing the ‘break him down and build it back up‘ deal with Yakupov, it’s a hateful deal. One more indication he isn’t like the others, and really too bad in my opinion.

dreger quote

Huh. I guess Dreger must talk with Nonis. Who knew?

POSSIBLE LINES AND PAIRINGS

• Nuge-Hall-Perron
  • Gagner-Joensuu-Eberle
  • Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky
  • Lander-Horak*-Yakupov
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • Belov-Petry
  • N Scultz-Marincin*
  • Dubnyk starts

We’ll see, I don’t really know where they’ll put Horak and Marincin, but have flushed Gazdic and Potter for fun.

The Oilers have placed Ryan Jones on IR to make room for Horak, and will have to make another move to get Marincin on the roster. Because of this, I’m less certain Marincin actually plays tonight, he might be here for midnight and the 3-for-1 trade that brings in Christian Ehrhoff.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

mirren

TSN 1260, this is the only show between now and next Thursday, hope you can tune in at 10. Scheduled to appear:

10 this morning, @Lowetide_ on twitter and 10-1260 via text.

214 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES, G40 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. bookje says:

The Prince: As a former student of Caramel Obvious’, I can attest to the truth of this statement. This is exactly the first lesson Caramel teaches, and having had it applied to my education, I can say that it is far more true and far less condescending than it appears to be. In fact, the interpretation of what Caramel said as being condescending stands as an ironic testament to the truth of Caramel’s assertion.

Contained within the student’s desire to learn must be an acknowledgement of lack. Properly, a student is one who understands that he doesn’t know enough to know which questions to ask; he understands also that thinking for himself is beyond his present ability. On the other hand, he who rushes ahead into personal thought presupposes that he has a truthful base of knowledge upon which and with which he may proceed to construct thought.

The problem is that while most of us claim rationality and the ability of logical reason, we have no concept of what those things really are; we may have a distorted shadow of the idea, given to us by a variety of sources (parents, political leaders, the media, foolishly experienced experiences), an ever-changing image cast on a cave wall by sophistic puppeteers, but we do not have the idea itself. To refuse to listen (i.e. to refuse to learn) is not only arrogant, but exceedingly stupid. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

In other news… I hear the Thracians put on quite the show down at the Piraeus yesterday!

The problem with the statement is it is absolutely necessary to think to navigate through the mess of crap that exists in academia. There are many brilliant works, but there is a ton of drivel and you need to be able to spot the difference. I fully understand CO’s intent, but I have a problem with the phrasing.

2. The Prince says:

bookje,

bookje: The problem with the statement is it is absolutely necessary to think to navigate through the mess of crap that exists in academia.There are many brilliant works, but there is a ton of drivel and you need to be able to spot the difference.I fully understand CO’s intent, but I have a problem with the phrasing.

I’d agree… part of the issue is that there wasn’t any clear definition of terms. I think that what most people think thinking is is a lot different than what CO thinks thinking is ;) Course, CO’s a disturber and I’m sure smugly aware of all that.

3. The Prince says:

bookje,

At the same time, the argument could be made that the thought of every student is so screwed up as to be incapable of determining the difference between “crap” and “brilliance,” no matter the student’s confidence in his ability, and that he must then be shown this difference by those who are able to know it and make it rightly understandable.

4. Andy P says:

Tonight’s game was a litmus test for this team, and they passed it by the skin of their teeth. Good defensive effort but offense was MIA. Maybe at some point we can get defense and offense.

5. jp says:

Andy P,

I missed most of the game unfortunately, but sounds like a decent effort. I’m happier about a solid defensive game than I would be about a 5-4 win. It was against a 26th place team but hey, beating other bad teams is better than losing to them. One step at a time and all.

And DD with the shutout. Maybe he can make himself valuable again, at least as a trade chip.

6. OilClog says:

It’s a shame how Yakupov isn’t 6’3.. He’d never see the 4th line with that shot.

7. Caramel Obvious says:

This thread turned hilarious on me. I make a couple of careless posts on my birthday and get uncovered in my own absurdity. I shall now laugh at myself and return to stating the obvious.

For the record I have no idea who our friend Niccolo really is, but whoever he or she is, he really has been in my classes, and by the phrasing recently. This is quite embarrassing really. All knowing sages do not watch hockey.

Caramel Obvious:
    This thread turned hilarious on me.I make a couple of careless posts on my birthday and get uncovered in my own absurdity.I shall now laugh at myself and return to stating the obvious.

For the record I have noidea who our friend Niccolo really is, but whoever he or she is, he really has been in my classes, and by the phrasing recently.This is quite embarrassing really.All knowing sages do not watch hockey.

I listened all night, all I heard was wind. :-)

9. The Prince says:

Caramel Obvious,

Caramel Obvious:

There is only one person I know of who speaks with such self-assuredness on pretty much every topic – why wouldn’t hockey be included? As far as the “all knowing sage” issue goes… maybe that’s just the difference between seeming and being ;) Happy Birthday!

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh man… As someone who often hi-jacks threads for nonsense (re: non-hockey) purposes… let me suggest we try not to repeat this experience.

I can’t find much that rewards — even in a malicious or a bemusing sense — in reading through it (which I did).

That said, if Machiavelli is an all knowing sage, hanging out with the townies, enjoying their company and games is in no way beneath him.

11. Big Dan says:

Paul Ranger has not been that hot lately, but neither has Jeff Petry.

Petry doesn’t shy from the rough stuff like Tom Poti, but he lacks toughness just like Tom Poti. They are similar in my opinion, good puckhandlers – but not much in the way of points.

If Petry’s by far your best defenseman, then no wonder you’re in trouble. Toronto’s #9D Paul Ranger is better than Jeff Petry.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

Big Dan: Toronto’s #9D Paul Ranger is better than Jeff Petry.

Oh, please.

Moroz signs deal. Good for him. Congratulations, young man.

And, yes. Petry is better than Ranger. I am always disappointed in Oiler fans and their reaction to college defensemen. Sure they have all of their teeth, but so what?

14. art vandelay says:

The Princess wrote:
    “There are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, and the third is useless.”

I guess I’m in the fourth class: people who can contribute an original thought. Because any condascending douchebag with a pretentious monikere can pull quotes off the interwebs to make himself look clever.
    But good for you for standing up for your equally inept fellow prof.

« Older Comments