OILERS AT KINGS, G36 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers are playing the Los Angeles Kings tonight, this is kind of a perfect storm for one bad night. The Kings stifle creativity and discourage talking, chewing gum, jocularity and rambunctious behavior of any kind. If you could just sit there and breath we would appreciate it, and for God’s sake the hockey is going to be the driest game of the calendar year. Desert hockey. I can’t breathe just thinking about it.

hemsky commonAles Hemsky has been getting a lot of attention in the last 24 hours. Dallas Eakins wonderful off day media conference saw the coach come to the aid of the player, but the song remains the same. Or does it? One of the writers take a different angle. Interesting.

NURSE CONTROVERSY

nurse commonDavid Staples picked up on a story by Randy Russon yesterday, in which we find Mr. Russon encouraging Sault Ste Marie fans to stop booing Darnell Nurse. As David details, coming on the heels of the WJ snub this isn’t a good arrow:

• Staples: There’s no word on exactly why fans are booing Nurse, but having seen this kind of scenario play out in Edmonton, it’s almost always a run of defensive mistakes coupled with a perceived lack of effort that bring out the boo birds.

So, we’re off to the races. We don’t really know if there’s been a run of defensive mistakes, or a perceived lack of effort, but once  these things reach the printed word it’s out there and the piling on of an 18-year old is underway. Fresh meat! Stu’s not a magnificent bastard! What was MacT thinking?

Russon’s article has a mysterious feel to it, not quite certain I can identify the overall thrust. This passage does cast an interesting light:

• Russon: Afterall, if an OHL team such as the Greyhounds can get away with charging $18 a ticket, I suppose fans feel they have the right to hiss and boo if they think they are being short-changed by the performance of a player or players.

So we have the citizens of Sault Ste. Marie needing to boo either because of these crazy ticket prices, or a short performance from the players, or both. I’m not smart enough to figure this out, but I bet if we all huddle together there’s a slight chance we do it together. The keys from the article appear to be:

• $18 tickets prices
  • 18-year olds not playing well in a short time frame
  • an article that gets a tremendous amount of attention because it’s tied to a very famous teenager.

I attempted to read more stories from Mr. Russon about Nurse and the Greyhounds, but found that he seems to write mostly about the NOJHL. I read a few articles, but was unable to find the price of their tickets anywhere. I suspect it is well shy of $18.

keefeSheldon Keefe is the head coach of the Greyhounds. His tweet seems to run counter to Mr. Russon’s article, and leaves me wondering just where we are with this story. Hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of this, and perhaps we can find out the prices of other junior hockey tickets across the nation. This $18 ticket sounds monstrous.

solopov

The WJ’s are going to be a bit of a dud for Oiler fans (no Nurse, Yakupov is in the NHL to stay, etc) but the two Russian third rounders from the most recent draft will offer some interest for me. Yakimov started like a house on fire and really does look like a prospect of interest, Slepyshev had a slow start but has started to rally recently. It’ll be fun to watch them during the WJ’s and it looks like they’ll have feature roles.

DELLOW’S SLEDGEHAMMER

dellow's graph

This is theft (grabbed it from a Dellow tweet) and this follows up Tyler’s article on the Winnipeg Jets yesterday. As he states, this is merely marrying F to D 5×5 Corsi for while they are on the ice. So, Taylor Hall is having an awful year no matter, while Eberle was over 50% with Larsen, Belov and Smid. Interesting. Perron is also having a reasonable season and Arcobello is also posting some numbers (with Justin Schultz and Belov no less) this year. Now this doesn’t include zone starts/toughness of opps, just Corsi for % raw, but is fascinating information when presented in this way.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

fonda2

TSN 1260, 10 this morning and a lot to talk about with my guests. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about tonight’s game, and improving this team for next year.
  • Brock Otten, OHL prospects. We’ll get to the bottom of this Nurse business, and talk about the OHL kids eligible for the 2014 draft.
  • Harrison Mooney, Puck Daddy. Canucks are rolling now, but they’re always doing things that will eventually cost them. Zack Kassian’s antics are the most recent example.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings play-by-play on tsn 1260. The OK’s are really kicking out the jams now, we’ll talk about this team’s winning streak and ability to cover up for player loss.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Stay tuned!

252 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS, G36 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Arcobello holding his wrist?

2. OilBuzz says:

Would be nice to get Gazdic out there for a scrum righta bout now

3. RexLibris says:

Yup.

4. spoiler says:

Too bad. They were playing a helluva game.

5. Rebilled says:

Is he onside?

6. D says:

I’m sure we all saw that coming.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh 89. You make me feel things I hate feeling.

8. OilBuzz says:

I am seething with frustration. Can’t imagine how the oilers feel. Send someone out to draw blood!

9. D says:

Nice save on Hemsky. Can’t fault the Oil on that very last scramble.

10. Pablo Aimar says:

Gags has only played 430 games. Can’ t give up on him yet.

11. dsr29 says:

Gagner on the point? Coach out of ideas.

12. D says:

Was that a pee wee “shot” by Gagner there?

13. Gerta Rauss says:

That was one of them moral victories.

I thought they had a good enough game to maybe get into overtime, but the puck didn’t go in for them. 3-0 sounds terrible, and the Kings are just the worst damn team to try to score against but there were some good things tonight.

15. D says:

The Oil played a good game against a good team. If they sustain 82 like this, the Oil would be competitive.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

So if we’re re-signing Hemsky and moving Gagner to the wing, who do you trade..? Eberle or Yakupov..?

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Looking at this new ISS ranking one more time…

It is interesting how few Q players make it in the top 30:

OHL: 10
    WHL: 5
    Q: 2

18. Gret99zky says:

I’d take an ugly win over 50 of these pretty losses.

19. hags9k says:

Team defence. The foundation of all the good teams at every level of hockey. The Oilers still think we can just run and gun cause didn’t you know Gretzky used to play here!…Good grief this thing may not turn around before Hall leaves, and that’s not even funny.

By the way, with all the recent talk about Nurse, the chances that he plays the year in Edm next season are still at 100%. This is Klowe people. Hell they’ll probably trade Petry for a coke machine to make room for Ekblad too.

!&^$@^#(@)#*#)#*$*$&$*@^@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Gret99zky says:

Can’t trade Gagner.

What if he scores 50 every year playing for Detroit?

21. G Money says:

D: The Oil played a good game against a good team.If they sustain 82 like this, the Oil would be competitive.

Yeah, as losses go, I’m OK with this. They got beat by a better team.

That said, and I recognize the value in having a low whistle game, but the one-sidedness of the call/non-calls drives me batshit crazy. It would have been a *much* closer game on the scoreboard if the hooks, holds, and interference were called. Did you see how hard Brown was beaking about that penalty, as blatant and unsportsmanlike as it was? That’s because he’s not used to it ever being called (and I have to admit I was very surprised).

Lowetide: I thought they had a good enough game to maybe get into overtime, but the puck didn’t go in for them.

Yeah, it did seem like every bounce went the Kings’ way. Then again (reffing notwithstanding), good teams tend to make a lot of their own good luck.

22. hags9k says:

Steve Smith needs to be fired so that I can take at least one small step back from the ledge.

23. Hammers says:

LT lets face it Bryz saved them from a 5 or 6 0 game so he did his job . Now break down the mistakes . Hall still making cross ice passes as if still in Junior . Gags showing his own mistake by breaking his stick after 1st goal . RNH not strong enough but to be expected but The talent is there . Defensive miscues but forced on them by a great team that works there buts off . Overall a game we stayed in against a far superior team . Whats next and only McT knows for sure .I won’t be surprised to hear some of the under 24 group asking to be traded .

Gerta Rauss:

I don’t trade Yakupov or Eberle.

25. hags9k says:

Gagner HAS to find/have more game. I’m giving him a dozen games without the fishbowl before I pick up a pitchfork.

The sad thing is right now, Horcoff would be steady Eddy at 2C and Gags would have gotten a better return than a Phillarsen.

26. 8p0intgame says:

I didn’t watch tonight’s game because I was SUPPOSED to be studying for a final on Friday, but I procrastinated and followed the game day thread instead. I want to give my two cents on a comment made earlier about Eberle’s unwillingness to pass to Yakupov.

If Ebs doesn’t want to play nice with Yakupov for any reason (with the exception that passing to Yakupov will NOT help keep play going in the right direction), I want him traded immediately. Hockey is Eberle’s job and if he can’t check his personal problems with his coworkers at the door, he needs to go work somewhere else. I honestly don’t care if Eberle is an 80-point player or if Hall will request a trade afterward. Trade Eberle + to Florida for Kulikov and Matthias (on second thought, don’t) or to Jersey for Henrique and Larsson or to Philly for Courturier +. Hell, maybe packaging Eberle with the 2014 1st round pick will start the conversations needed to acquire that stud #1 D (“He’s so fluffy, I could die!”) that everyone wants so badly… Better not be gosh darn Erhoff though!

And if trading Eberle is a deal breaker for Hall, trade him too.

27. D says:

G Money,

In past seasons, the frustrating part was the Oilers beating the top teams and then blowing it against the bottom feeders. Now they’re staying competitive with the top teams (but losing) and (barring bad goaltending), tend to beat the other teams. For me, that’s a positive step in the right direction.

28. Pretendergast says:

How long until draisatl

29. D says:

8p0intgame:

And if trading Eberle is a deal breaker for Hall, trade him too.

First noticed that with Eberle during the Leafs game in Toronto. I agree with your solution.

30. Young Oil says:

It’s sad how apathetic to losing this fanbase has become.

How is being outshot 40-24, getting shut out 3-0, while getting minimal scoring chances playing a ‘good game’? Sure, a few players showed some positives, but let’s be honest, we haven’t had a chance in any of our last 4 games. These players are getting paid millions to play the game that they love, it’s at the point where ‘a good effort’ isn’t good enough. Especially when the game wasn’t even close.

Losing has become a culture in this city. The fans, the players, the coaches are completely indifferent to losing game after game after game.

We need smarter, two way players in our top six. We need a bottom six full of shit disturbers and people willing to throw their body around. The defence and goaltending would be so much more competent with defensively responsible forwards properly covering their men.

Screw moving Gagner to the wing, send him out of town. Don’t care if we get pennies on the dollar, anyone standing still not covering a single person consistently after 7 years in the NHL shouldn’t be playing.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just so sick and tired of this perpetual failure.

31. spoiler says:

Lowetide: They have to move 89 to wing now, and I do think theyneed to trade for a defenseman tonight.

Gagner is ineffectual along the boards. And we have three RWers. This isn’t a solution.

Blow it up.

Yak + Marincin to NAS for Jones. Gagner + Larsen to MIN for Heatley and Brodin. Jultz to Philly for Couturier. Re-sign Hemmer & Bryz. Nultz for a pick at the deadline. Draft well. Sign a value vet UFA or two.

Doesn’t solve your problems today, but solves them going forward…

HALL NUGE EBER
    PERR LACO HEMS
    SMYT GORD UFA
    GAZD ARCO JONE
    LAND
    PITL

FERE PETR
    BELO UFA
    JONE BROD
    POTT

Nurse and Klefbom coming.

32. Thiru says:

Whale of a game from Taylor Hall. That certainly bodes well.

33. 8p0intgame says:

spoiler,

34. jp says:

Lowetide: I don’t trade Yakupov or Eberle.

35. DeadmanWaking says:

delooper: That one is not Frueh-y enough for me.

Clive’s Classic Lounge on the ground floor of the Chateau Victoria is worth an inquiry to see what’s current. While their beer list leans toward the Trappist style, they include Dutch and German styles in the rotation fairly often. They serve authentic glassware, and I believe they chill to authentic serving temperature for each style. Also, you can do worse than taking a date to the Vista 18 up top. Neither gouge as much as you’d think for a captive hotel type configuration. Warning: some of the exotic $9 beers arrive in half-pint glasses. Read the menu’s fine print.

A couple of years ago I had a Dutch beer there that I would describe as a copper ale with Trappist leanings. Reddish-amber with a hint of pink. Perhaps the best pint I’ve ever consumed.

Brasserie L’école has an extensive Eurobrew inventory, but not a lot on tap. Steak and frites with blue cheese is a crowd pleaser. No reservations, typically line-ups though not so much for the first seating.

36. Alsker says:

Gret99zky:
    Can’t trade Gagner.

What if he scores 50 every year playing for Detroit?

Who cares as long as he doesn’t give up 100 against us!!!!!

37. spoiler says:

8p0intgame: spoiler, I think we all just need to accept the fact that Gagner is here to stay, at least until 2015. Maybe if Toronto really has buyer’s remorse from signing Clarkson, we can take him off their hands and he can fill the void on Sam’s wing that has been vacant since the Penner trade. :/

Minny fans are saying the same thing about Heatley, With a $7.5M cap hit.

jp: Just curious LT, what would you do? Obviously you don’t run Eberle/Yakupov/Hemsky/Gagner on RW. You could move one of them to LW, but there’d still be a glaring hole at C and on D. Hemsky brings less than fair value via trade – maybe you can move Gagner for another piece? Can you keep all these guys with the other holes on the team?

I’d run:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gordon-Perron-Gagner
    Arcobello-Yakupov-Hemsky

39. Alsker says:

Lowetide: I’d run:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gordon-Perron-Gagner
    Arcobello-Yakupov-Hemsky

I admire Gagner’s offensive abilities BUT he does not fit the roll we require(or you’re putting him in)..if MacT can’t move him, demote him. If he gets picked up off waivers it gives us 4.8M in cap space,a roster spot, and an opportunity for Arco/Lander/Omark to excel. Yes I said Omark, unless we trade him first(as if). BOLD is sending a big name down to OKC. We need Steve Ott type to add to Peron and Gordon. Just my two cents worth.

40. 8p0intgame says:

spoiler,

I don’t believe MacT is going to go back on his verbal no-trade clause with Gagner and, even if he did, I don’t think there is much of a market for Gagner right now. Maybe for castoffs or mediocre picks and prospects, but nothing the Oilers really need.

41. GregS says:

It seems to me that we traded away the very thing we want. What if Matt Greene, Brodziak, and Tom Gilbert were still on our defense? Add Ference, Justin Schultz and Petry and we would have a pretty solid back end. But unfortunately bad trades were made and hence we have sucked since 2008.

42. jp says:

Lowetide: I’d run:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gordon-Perron-Gagner
    Arcobello-Yakupov-Hemsky

I agree with this short term. And this is clearly a possibility for years going forward. But IMO some of these guys could/should be in play to improve other areas of the team. As I said yesterday having this kind of forward group is a luxury. It’s great, but if the team can get an equivalently skilled/valuable D for Eberle or Yakupov (or Gagner) who’s also young enough to fit in with the cluster, I think you need to do that. Anyway, that’s my opinion. An Eberle or Yakupov equivalent on defense (assuming fair value) would be more help to this team than the real Eberle or Yakupov. JMO.

43. GregS says:

In fact, if we had the solid defense I just listed, we would probably not be complaining out our forwards at all, or at least to a much less degree.

44. 8p0intgame says:

GregS,

Brodziak was a centre, but it sure would be nice to have him as well as Gilbert and Greene on the blue line.

45. stevezie says:

jp,

Short term? I think that’s a playoff calibre top 9. If you want to turn this year’s whipping boy, Gagner, into a different good forward that’s fine with me, but this is what we need to be good. I’m not sure we can spare anyone off it.

I understand the reasoning behind trading a forward for a D, but really we need both. I think this lineup needs an immaculate conception of a defenceman. We found a way to make Belov appear, but we balanced that out by making Smid disappear.

Unrelated note: I skipped the game tonight to go see Nebraska. I remember someone, probably Rom, talking about it a couple of weeks ago. It is very much an Alexandre Payne movie, which to me is a good thing, and unless it becomes clear that Bruce Dern was playing himself he is a decent bet to win an Oscar.

46. Lucinius says:

Imo, here is how I think the lines should be run, for at least a game or two;

RNH — Hall — Eberle
    Arco — Hemsky — Yakupov
    Gordon — Perron — Gagner/Joenssu
    Lander — Smyth/Gazdic — Joenssu/Jones

And the depending on how games are going, I’d swap things around to make the lines;

RNH — Hall — Eberle
    Arco — Perron — Yakupov
    Gordon — Joenssu/Smyth/Gagner — Hemsky
    Lander — Gagner/Gazdic — Jones/Gagner

First of all, the Oilers need to get Yakupov going. He seems to have some chemistry with Hemsky (who does pass to him!), but Yak plays better on the RW rather than on the LW. Also, when those two were put together Hemsky did something I found amazing; he started to enter the zone on the LW side rather than the RW side (basically they swapped wings on offensive zone entries) which let Yak enter on the RW side — and it was creating chances for at a decent clip. So, I’d try moving Hemsky to the LW side in actuality to free Yak up to be more comfortable, which may help get his game going. Also, between Arcobello and Hemsky that line should be decent defensively so long as they are slightly sheltered.

Which they should be, as that third line should be relatively defensively sound as Gagner no longer ha to worry about being the center, and can instead be the RW. Leaves the third line also able to contribute offensively as Gordon and Perron have seen some chemistry together and maybe being able to concentrate on a simpler game helps Gagner.

Alternate lines would require much the same, but allow for slightly different combos if teams are keying in on certain players/matchups that don’t work so well. But it keeps Yak on the RW side, which I feel is fairly important.

Gagner is used largely as filler on the wings because, quite simply, that’s where his game is at these days.

47. fifthcartel says:

Is the trade Gagner talk getting more and more realistic?

48. FPB94 says:

Last year’s Detroit 1st round pick is trailblazing the QJMHL.

Anthony Mantha with 73 points, 35 goals in 32 games. I almost wish he didn’t have to play in the WJC to see his wouldbe numbers.

49. russ99 says:

Young Oil,

I agree with your take on the state of the team, but gooning it up isn’t the answer. Adding a bunch of ringers like John Scott to hit everybody will just degrade our team game even further.

Any reduction in skill to add size and grit in the top 6 will further impair the offense, more than Eakins has done already.

We need players who can play defense, both forward and defenders. There’s a school of thought that everyone can play defense, and I agree somewhat, but there’s a limit, it takes time and it could diminish a player in other ways.

MacT added two NHL quality defensive players (Gordon and Ference) this offseason to a team devoid of them and stopped short.

He needs to make smarter acquisitions his time around starting at the deadline – and it’s in time to play favorites like with Grebeshkov, Jones and Eager.

50. Big Dan says:

Gagner for Clarkson.

They’re getting pillared by both fan bases, but would fill a need if traded.

51. Ribs says:

You guys are nuts if you think Eberle is purposefully not passing the puck to Yakupov.

Yak plays a very different game than Eberle and that’s likely where the problem is (if there is one). Eberle is used to playing the standard set up game where you slow the play down and have your teammates give you options, whereas Yakupov likes to drive to the open spots as fast as possible and he can easily overshoot himself if the pass doesn’t come. Both styles can work, but these guys need to be on the same page and chemistry takes time.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DeadmanWaking: Clive’s Classic Lounge

I can endorse this place for its tending and selectables. I find the decor a little off-putting though.

Apparently, a lot of Victorians are Oiler fans…. where were you all when I was 7?

« Older Comments