OILERS AT KINGS, G36 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers are playing the Los Angeles Kings tonight, this is kind of a perfect storm for one bad night. The Kings stifle creativity and discourage talking, chewing gum, jocularity and rambunctious behavior of any kind. If you could just sit there and breath we would appreciate it, and for God’s sake the hockey is going to be the driest game of the calendar year. Desert hockey. I can’t breathe just thinking about it.

hemsky commonAles Hemsky has been getting a lot of attention in the last 24 hours. Dallas Eakins wonderful off day media conference saw the coach come to the aid of the player, but the song remains the same. Or does it? One of the writers take a different angle. Interesting.

NURSE CONTROVERSY

nurse commonDavid Staples picked up on a story by Randy Russon yesterday, in which we find Mr. Russon encouraging Sault Ste Marie fans to stop booing Darnell Nurse. As David details, coming on the heels of the WJ snub this isn’t a good arrow:

• Staples: There’s no word on exactly why fans are booing Nurse, but having seen this kind of scenario play out in Edmonton, it’s almost always a run of defensive mistakes coupled with a perceived lack of effort that bring out the boo birds.

So, we’re off to the races. We don’t really know if there’s been a run of defensive mistakes, or a perceived lack of effort, but once  these things reach the printed word it’s out there and the piling on of an 18-year old is underway. Fresh meat! Stu’s not a magnificent bastard! What was MacT thinking?

Russon’s article has a mysterious feel to it, not quite certain I can identify the overall thrust. This passage does cast an interesting light:

• Russon: Afterall, if an OHL team such as the Greyhounds can get away with charging $18 a ticket, I suppose fans feel they have the right to hiss and boo if they think they are being short-changed by the performance of a player or players.

So we have the citizens of Sault Ste. Marie needing to boo either because of these crazy ticket prices, or a short performance from the players, or both. I’m not smart enough to figure this out, but I bet if we all huddle together there’s a slight chance we do it together. The keys from the article appear to be:

• $18 tickets prices
  • 18-year olds not playing well in a short time frame
  • an article that gets a tremendous amount of attention because it’s tied to a very famous teenager.

I attempted to read more stories from Mr. Russon about Nurse and the Greyhounds, but found that he seems to write mostly about the NOJHL. I read a few articles, but was unable to find the price of their tickets anywhere. I suspect it is well shy of $18.

keefeSheldon Keefe is the head coach of the Greyhounds. His tweet seems to run counter to Mr. Russon’s article, and leaves me wondering just where we are with this story. Hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of this, and perhaps we can find out the prices of other junior hockey tickets across the nation. This $18 ticket sounds monstrous.

solopov

The WJ’s are going to be a bit of a dud for Oiler fans (no Nurse, Yakupov is in the NHL to stay, etc) but the two Russian third rounders from the most recent draft will offer some interest for me. Yakimov started like a house on fire and really does look like a prospect of interest, Slepyshev had a slow start but has started to rally recently. It’ll be fun to watch them during the WJ’s and it looks like they’ll have feature roles.

DELLOW’S SLEDGEHAMMER

dellow's graph

This is theft (grabbed it from a Dellow tweet) and this follows up Tyler’s article on the Winnipeg Jets yesterday. As he states, this is merely marrying F to D 5×5 Corsi for while they are on the ice. So, Taylor Hall is having an awful year no matter, while Eberle was over 50% with Larsen, Belov and Smid. Interesting. Perron is also having a reasonable season and Arcobello is also posting some numbers (with Justin Schultz and Belov no less) this year. Now this doesn’t include zone starts/toughness of opps, just Corsi for % raw, but is fascinating information when presented in this way.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

fonda2

TSN 1260, 10 this morning and a lot to talk about with my guests. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about tonight’s game, and improving this team for next year.
  • Brock Otten, OHL prospects. We’ll get to the bottom of this Nurse business, and talk about the OHL kids eligible for the 2014 draft.
  • Harrison Mooney, Puck Daddy. Canucks are rolling now, but they’re always doing things that will eventually cost them. Zack Kassian’s antics are the most recent example.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings play-by-play on tsn 1260. The OK’s are really kicking out the jams now, we’ll talk about this team’s winning streak and ability to cover up for player loss.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Stay tuned!

252 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS, G36 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. justDOit says:

Bed hair and a long shirt over nothing. Classic sexy, which is more than I’m expecting from this game tonight. I think the Staples center will have an appropriate motto for this game.

2. DBO says:

Won’t watch (Newfoundland way too late in the night – a blessing to moving out here), but expect a level of indifferent anger, bitterness and pain regardless of outcome when I read the comments in the morning.

Sign Hemsky to 3 years around $4 mill per (he may take it, who knows). He still has 3 years left, and he is a responsible two way player who at least gets dirty.
    Move one of Gagner or Yakupov. Bite the bullet, use the move to help balance your team. Toronto is desperate for a 2nd line scoring centre, and they may jump at Gagner.
    Make a run at Erhoff. Who may just cost picks and prospects.

I know this blog always says don’t make a dumb move, don’t sell low. And while all at times are true, we can’t keep doing the same thing. Use the depth of skill forwards and address other needs. Take a loss talent wise to better your team. It needs to happen, yesterday.

3. stilljrm says:

A Value ticket for the Sudbury Wolves is $18 these days, while Preferred/Club seats (a cup holder AND a padded seat!!) are $20/$23 depending on which section of the barn you’d like to watch from ..

4. delooper says:

This is the first Oilers game I can watch since the Koelsch-fuelled victory over the Senators on October 19th!!

5. Minister D- says:

I’m more confused that the head coach of SSM felt it necessary to let everyone know that he’s “attended every game.”

6. steve_86 says:

I’m a loyal reader of this blog and a Soo Greyhounds season ticket holder, and I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Nurse “booing” story is bogus. There could possibly be a few jerks in the crowd booing him (and every other player as well), but overwhelmingly the city and the fans love Nurse. Russon writes for a flailing weekly newspaper and stirs up controversy in a vain attempt to keep the few readers he actually has. This is not new territory for him. Since he’s managed to get picked up by some bigger papers, I guess it’s mission accomplished. For the real news on the Greyhounds, stick to the Sault Star.

7. goldenchild says:

Matheson’s article’s not surprising, he and Jones have made it clear they want Hemmer out of town, doesn’t make sense to wriite anything else. The thing about Eakins is I dont think he says things just to say them , the comments about Hemsky especially about the 100% buy in and commitment to back checking I think are a clue that if he gets his way Oilers will offer 83 a contract and try to keep him. Nobody in the MSM wants to see that so im sure we will here a lot of stuff today about yesterday not being a big deal and just a coach sticking up for his player.

One thing I have been thinking about in regards to Eakins media conference yesterday is that while it was music to everyone on this blog and all over Oilogsphere it is in contrast with basically everything the MSM believes which make we wonder how soon we see the knives come out for him. It wont be this season because its too early but I certainly wont be surprised if we start seeing stuff about him being in over his head in the summer and a lot worse if they start slow next year. He is not a former Oiler so no previous relationships with Jones and crew and basically everything he says and does is usually in line with the blogger world but counter to what the old guys want so how will this old school vs new school play out? I dont think the old school will take it well.

8. tsunami says:

Minister D-:

Hahaha, was thinking exactly the same :)…

9. G Money says:

Oh good, another LA game.

The Oilers have had a day off since Anaheim and it’s not exactly a long journey from the Honda Center to the Staples Center, so win or lose, I expect an honest effort tonight. If they’re going to win, make them earn it for a change.

Also: “Yakupov is in the NHL to stay

Is it even an option for Yak to play in the WJHC? Because if so, it might actually be a wise idea for the Oilers to free him up to play. Have some fun, get his mojo back.

10. justDOit says:

G Money,

Once he’s sent down, even for just the WJCs, he must remain in junior for the rest of the season, I believe. I don’t think he would be served well playing in junior again.

11. Andy P says:

goldenchild:
    Matheson’s article’s not surprising, he and Jones have made it clear they want Hemmer out of town, doesn’t make sense to wriite anything else.The thing about Eakins is I dont think he says things just to say them , the comments about Hemsky especially about the 100% buy in and commitment to back checking I think are a clue that if he gets his way Oilers will offer 83 a contract and try to keep him. Nobody in the MSM wants to see that so im sure we will here a lot of stuff todayabout yesterday not being a big deal and just a coach sticking up for his player.

One thing I have been thinking about in regards to Eakins media conference yesterday is that while it was music to everyone on this blog and all over Oilogsphere it is in contrast with basically everything the MSM believes which make we wonder how soon we see the knives come out for him.It wont be this season because its too early but I certainly wont be surprised if we start seeing stuff about him being in over his head in the summer and a lot worse if they start slow next year.He is not a former Oiler so no previous relationships withJones and crew and basically everything he says and does is usually in line with the blogger world but counter to what the old guys want so how will this old school vs new school play out? I dont think the old school will take it well.

With the way the MSM has treated 6 Rings and MacT I think the Oil may offer them a hot urn of LT’s STFU along with their veggie treats. Risky territory I know, with every chance of becoming a manhood issue between them. (Oil and MSM)

12. Truth says:

G Money,

Also: “Yakupov is in the NHL to stay

Is it even an option for Yak to play in the WJHC?Because if so, it might actually be a wise idea for the Oilers to free him up to play.Have some fun, get his mojo back.

I was about to ask this same question. My belief is that he would be playing in the AHL right now if the KHL wasn’t a threat. He needs his end-to-end knee sliding confidence back. Scoring 3 pts/game in the WJC’s would help IMO.

13. nelson88 says:

Another angle I found interesting about the Nurse story/non-story. The speculation that he will be traded to the Knights or the Otters and that the Oilers would have some say in his destination?

The Greyhounds are leading their division and have the 4th best winning percentage in the OHL. Presumably they will have McCann back next year and could possibly have Tolchinsky and Nurse as well. Unless they feel confident they can’t make a run for the OHL title this year and they will lose Nurse to the NHL next year why would they trade him? Comment from any OHL watchers?

14. Henry says:

It’s interesting that pretty much everybody’s numbers improve with Belov on ice.

15. delooper says:

Truth: I was about to ask this same question.My belief is that he would be playing in the AHL right now if the KHL wasn’t a threat.He needs his end-to-end knee sliding confidence back.Scoring 3 pts/game in the WJC’s would help IMO.

Meh, nothing says lack of confidence in a player like “you really need to get your confidence back, here’s some packing bubbles to pop!”

Yakupov has to work it out his way, not by playing video games or eating potato chips.

No, to get over this Yakupov has to crush Sidney Crosby’s head like a peanut with his thighs!

16. G Money says:

justDOit:
    G Money,

That’s the question – is playingin the WJCs the same as assigning him to Jr. I *thought* those two would be independent, but don’t know so. The Wild have freed up Matthew Dumba for the WJC’s, and he’s played more than the requisite 10 games this season, so maybe they are still OK with sending him to the Jrs, but if so, it also means they have burned a year of ELC.

17. FastOil says:

DBO,

Erhoff for a reasonable price would be a good move. I don’t think he’ll turn the tide but more good is good.

I read the Av’s may move Stastny because of money (UFA this year). I wonder if a deal could be struck there? He would help turn the tide

18. FastOil says:

Minister D-:

Tongue in cheek

19. G Money says:

Additional WJ notes: Hurricanes assigned Lindholm to Sweden, Sabres assigned Grigorenko and Zadorov to Russia.

20. Clay says:

From that Matheson article, Hemsky’s quote on Regehr “He hits me in honest ways”. Why does this make me like Hemsky even more?

It’s almost like Tina saying “hit me one more time, Ike, and this time put some stank on it!”

21. delooper says:

Clay:
    From that Matheson article, Hemsky’s quote on Regehr “He hits me in honest ways”.Why does this make me like Hemsky even more?

Hemsky is a little unusually “straight” for a hockey player in that way. If Hemsky wanted to play games he could have said something like “I think Regher is getting old, his hits are getting lighter. Or perhaps he’s injured?”

It would help if he’d mispronounce his name, giving the impression he’s never really given a second thought on the player.

22. D says:

Lived in Los Angeles for years and am a supporter of the Kings. They treat their fans very well (the Oil could learn a thing or two from them) and are an elite run business organization (Phil Anschutz would have it no other way). That being said, GO OILERS!

23. DBO says:

We only have a few players in stone for next year. And we, as we all know, have a lot of duplication on the roster.

Hall-Nuge-E/Y/H (I don’t just put Eberle here cause our RW is our depth, one of them will be the piece we send away)
    Perron-???-E/Y/H
    ???-Gordon-???
    ???-Lander-???
    ???-???

7 spots up front. Arco in there for cheap I hope, to versatile even with the small size. Gazdic will be around cause we needs our face puncher. Two of Eberle, Yak and Hemsky will be here. Gagner is a huge question mark. So 2 spots gone, leaving 5 holes to fill (2nd line centre. 3rd RW, 3 LW, 4 W (one W spot to arco).

On D we have our bottom 4 set

???-???
    Belov-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

Nurse is a few years away, Klefbom at best 7D.

Once again we come back to dealing from our strength (RW, small skilled centres in Gagner or Arco) to fill more glaring needs. High end dmen are the hardest to get, and crazy enough we have 2 super high end RW’s with a solid higher end two way RW (Hemsky). One can go to fill more glaring needs. Move Gagner if you need to to fill other holes.

24. Andy P says:

DBO:

Perron-???-E/Y/H
    ???-Gordon-???
    ???-Lander-???
    ???-???

On D we have our bottom 4 set

???-???
    Belov-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

Nurse is a few years away, Klefbom at best 7D.

25. delooper says:

Andy P: It’s almost funny, at the beginning of this year we were ripping MacT a new arsehole for inadequate depth at center when Nuge and Gags were injured, now we ant to trade one or both of Gags and Arco.

Generally speaking I preface 99% of Edmontonian discussion of the Oilers with IRRATIONAL PANIC block quotes.

26. Ribs says:

Lucic on his latest Vancouver experience….

“That’s one of the worst parts is it’s in my hometown,” Lucic said. “Going back to the spray-painting of the church and my grandparents and parents and family getting harassed during the final against the Canucks in 2011, and now it’s escalated to a point where I get attacked for just minding my own business, so I have no reason left to defend my city and the people in my city.

“I’m just disgusted and outraged that it had to come to something like that … Other than being in Rogers Arena, no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again.”

27. VOR says:

I keep reading things about acquiring a stud D man. DBO mentions Christian Ehrhoff, LT has mentioned Dion Phaneuf, and his post today is about the rumors surrounding Darnell Nurse. This interest in stud D led me to ask a number of questions and to challenge a number of assumptions.

Lets start with is there such a thing as a stud D?

I tried a simple sort of NHL D Men from this year. I figure if you are going to be the real thing you have to be an effective player. So my first sort was just the D who had both positive relative corsi and positive +/- for 60 minutes played. That doesn’t seem like much of a hurdle to jump over does it? Then I said you have to have played over 50% of possible games this season and played more than 15 minutes a game at even strength in those games. Again I don’t think I am being unreasonable given we are trying to identify stud D.

Then I simply asked who from this year was on last year’s list of D sorted the same way.

Alex Pietrangelo
    Jared Spurgeon
    James Wisneiwski
    Kevin Shattenkirk
    Johnny Boychuk
    Zdeno Chara
    Marc-Edouard Vlasic
    Dan Hamhuis
    John Carlson
    PK Subban
    Jake Muzzin

I guess I’d ask the people who propose acquiring a stud D man which of these 11 men you plan to acquire and what you think you’d have to give up?

28. jake70 says:

On LA’s style of game, Kypreos and MacLean were talking about them recently on HC@noon….they grind you down, they hit as well but they lean, and lean, and lean on you, exhausting their opponents. Like a python.

From Wiki: Python feeding behavior – grasp prey which is then killed by constriction; after an animal /opponent has been grasped to restrain it, the python will quickly wrap a number of coils around it. Death occurs primarily via asphyxiation; some research has suggested that pressures produced during constriction may cause cardiac arrest by interfering with blood flow,

Sounds about right.

(now watch the wonderkids go out an score 5 or 6)

29. DBO says:

Quick glance at free agents next year who aren’t over 31. A few interesting ones. Maybe it’s back to the future for LT.

Daniel Winnich – 28 yrs old. Nice 3LW
    Nikita Nikitin – 27 yrs old. D with upside
    Brian Boyle – 28 yrs old. solid tough two way 3/4 C
    Anton Khudobin – 27 yrs old. nice backup goalie.

4 guys who add size, two way ability and won’t break the bank. And all free. Now yes I know no one signs here. But I would love to see the Oil try to get these guys (Khudobin, Boyle and Nikitin can be ,had now for picks or prospects). Maybe our 2C is Gordon (Horcoff esque just backing up the offensive lads), Boyle 3C, Lander 4C.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
    Winnick-Boyle-Arco
    Joensuu-Lander-Pitick
    Horak-Gazdic

I can handle that. More balance, more size, more grit, lots of scoring, and guys who know their own zone.

30. art vandelay says:

Remember when you guys were slotting Klefbomb into this year’s top pairing? After he’d missed nearly an entire season due to injury. And had only played a few dozen games of organized hockey. And had never played a single minute of hockey on a N.A. ice surface.
    But nah, Darrell Nurse being yet another stiff couldn’t possibly be true, could it?
    Keep buying those tickets, saps.

31. FastOil says:

Henry:

I don’t have the stat skills to prove this but my take on the issue is that D can be good at moving the puck and Belov is good also at breaking cycles with his strength, but if there are defensive breakdowns constantly I am not convinced there is a net team benefit.

So his good Corsi means he can move the puck, his lower QoC and GF% to me says he’s defensively weak. It would be good to do a WOWY as well.

This is why I feel the team could get away with 2 solid defensive D who can actually play. The team has puck movers and offensive D, just not the guys who make the right reads often enough and can push back. Gator.

32. Old School G says:

FASTOIL:

I like your idea quite a bit. Scott Hannan and Stephane Robidas (my picks) are both UFA’s at the end of this season. Both are effective and hard players to play against, they could add something to the culture we are wanting to build. It means we will have to wait, but unless there’s a good hockey deal to be made I’m ok with waiting until the off season and getting a couple more edgy NHL calibre defencemen.

33. FastOil says:

VOR:

Lets start with is there such a thing as a stud D?

Alex Pietrangelo
    Jared Spurgeon
    James Wisneiwski
    Kevin Shattenkirk
    Johnny Boychuk
    Zdeno Chara
    Marc-Edouard Vlasic
    Dan Hamhuis
    John Carlson
    PK Subban
    Jake Muzzin

Thanks for doing that. I have been thinking the same thing with D and all players. I don’t think there are many truly elite players at any position. Guys who have it all and do it game in and out, season after season.

Those are your generational players. Just getting more good players is enough. Chasing stud D and power forwards leads to the end of the rainbow. It also leads to Oiler fans seeing every other team stacked with these players and our players as Gods or crap. The truth lies somewhere in between.
    Edit:
    More good players that compliment the guys that you have, not more of the same.

34. Hammers says:

Seems Dellow’s list shows Belov going well with all forwards but especially those with an all around game . Hemsky , Smyth , Arco , Ebs ,Perron . There has to be more to that than we think just like the fact N.Schultz & Smid showed poorly with all the forwards . Interesting stuff for sure . Lt do you have any thought on say Klefbom & our #1 for a “D” with real experience . Not a present #1 but a Harlmason type from Chicago or Tyutin from Columbus .There is a bunch of 2nd pairing players on many teams that would be an upgrade on all our present “D” .

35. DBO says:

FastOil,

Agreed. I think that is why Erhoff could work. Upgrade, not stud. Same with Winnick, Boyle, etc. Upgrades, who can push back and balance us out.

36. Henry says:

FastOil: It is. I am not sure what to make of that. I just looked at Extra Skater and Belov’s GF% is 41.9% which is 18 goals for and 25 against when he’s on the ice. He’s 6th on QoC for guys who’ve played 25% of the games.

I like your analysis though I’m not sure QoC means that much with this team mixing lines and matchups with the frequency they do.

In the ‘saw him good/bad’ view of the game, Belov has quite a few moments where he is the guy fishing the puck out of his net, and he’s had a fair number of missed assignments. He doesn’t cough it up as much as the other defensemen however.

On the other end of the ice he looked initially like he was going to be a force, but has sort of turned down his offense the past 20 games. What he is quite good at is picking up lame clearing attempts by the opposing defense and laser/bad passes from his teammates at the point. He has good hands there and maybe this skill is helping his corsi by keeping cycle opportunities going.

37. Henry says:

Actually, looking at LT and Dellow’s chart and what immediately leaps to me is that MacT really should extend Arcobello and Belov soon before they get expensive.

It would be good for him to have a better view of next year’s cost structure before deciding what to do with the potential log jam at RW and need for stud1D/unicorn.

Reasonable deals for these guys makes them at worst good trading chips, at best the filler in a winner.

38. ashley says:

VOR:

Lets start with is there such a thing as a stud D?

Alex Pietrangelo
    Jared Spurgeon
    James Wisneiwski
    Kevin Shattenkirk
    Johnny Boychuk
    Zdeno Chara
    Marc-Edouard Vlasic
    Dan Hamhuis
    John Carlson
    PK Subban
    Jake Muzzin

I think we’re fantasizing if we think one guy on the back end can come in and turn this team around let alone make a noticeable improvement in the performance. The league is full of stud players at all kinds of positions on teams with poor records. What makes an NHL team successful? I would suggest that it is a group of above average players at most positions.

This should be the goal. Good teams have 4 above average Dmen and 2 others that can tread water plus a few in the wings that can tread water in case of injury. Consistency and depth is the answer. Not an elite Dman, of which there are very few, and will have less of an impact than we would hope (and will cost a fortune to get, assuming availability which is likely not the case).

This is the “Pronger effect”. A generational talent who had a tremendous season for us in 2005/06. How many generational talents currently play in the NHL on the blueline? One or two?

We’re closer to a group of above average NHL dmen than we were last year. Progress.

Let’s not blow things up and fall back into the abyss just after we climbed most of the way out of it.

39. ohhell says:

steve_86:
    I’m a loyal reader of this blog and a Soo Greyhounds season ticket holder, and I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Nurse “booing” story is bogus.There could possibly be a few jerks in the crowd booing him (and every other player as well), but overwhelmingly the city and the fans love Nurse.Russon writes for a flailing weekly newspaper and stirs up controversy in a vain attempt to keep the few readers he actually has.This is not new territory for him.Since he’s managed to get picked up by some bigger papers, I guess it’s mission accomplished.For the real news on the Greyhounds, stick to the Sault Star.

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the update.

40. FastOil says:

ashley: I think we’re fantasizing if we think one guy on the back end can come in and turn this team around let alone make a noticeable improvement in the performance.The league is full of stud players at all kinds of positions on teams with poor records.What makes an NHL team successful?I would suggest that it is a group of above average players at most positions.

This should be the goal.Good teams have 4 above average Dmen and 2 others that can tread water plus a few in the wings that can tread water in case of injury.Consistency and depth is the answer.Not an elite Dman, of which there are very few, and will have less of an impact than we would hope (and will cost a fortune to get, assuming availability which is likely not the case).

This is the “Pronger effect”.A generational talent who had a tremendous season for us in 2005/06.How many generational talents currently play in the NHL on the blueline?One or two?

We’re closer to a group of above average NHL dmen than we were last year.Progress.

Nicely done

41. theres oil in virginia says:

LT! Mooney is off the rails. Teaching Kassian hockey sense is akin to teaching a rock how to jump.

42. ohhell says:

ashley,

Agree 100%. More incremental growth is needed to fill the many weaknesses on this team. MacT needs another year of Perron, Belov, Gordon and even Bryz to some extent. Just finding a stud D-man does not fix this ship and may create larger holes elsewhere.

43. theres oil in virginia says:

Also, Kesler would certainly be welcomed by most fans, but Kassian can go jump off a cliff. Hopefully his NHL career is short. Buffalo got the best of that trade.

44. TheOtherJohn says:

Ashley

Agree with most of what you said.

Not sure I agree with:
    ” We’re closer to a group of above average NHL Dmen than we were last year.Progress”

Leading TOI last year Petry 21:54; JSchu 21:46 Smid 20:19 and Nic Schultz 18:37
    Leading TOI this year JSchu 21:46; Petry 21:34; Larsen 21:20 and Ference 20:46

Not sure that is progress. Different— sure

45. denny33 says:

art vandelay,

Keep buying those tickets, saps.
    **************************************************

Yep. I was the biggest culprit. Thought for sure he ( Klefbom ) would be able to step in and at least play 3rd pairing minutes…

Now I hear he is struggling in the AHL…..he is still very young and has lots of time to develop.

46. fifthcartel says:

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons 20m
    BREAKING: #OKCBarons Assign G Laurent Brossoit to @Condors, Recall G Chet Pickard > http://bit.ly/1cyJNVE pic.twitter.com/dvY89115DU

Weird that Pickard gets called up when Bunz has a .914 save percentage in the AHL.

47. denny33 says:

ashley,

****************************************************************************

Agree with your thought……not sure what you mean about we climbed most of the way out though……

48. Logan91 says:

theres oil in virginia:
    LT!Mooney is off the rails.Teaching Kassian hockey sense is akin to teaching a rock how to jump.

I actually liked Kassian when he was in Buffalo.

He plays a different kind of game on the Nucks. He was basically brought into Vancouver to be a villain.

49. OilClog says:

Anyway Matheson and Jones can be rocketed to the moon.. Or Calgary?

I fully believe neither of these two men know what a hockey player is.. How can anyone watch Hemsky for the last decade and speak a word of negativity. Madness

50. FastOil says:

Staples has a amusing piece up. The Kings line up is there and of interest to the discussion about D:

Muzzin (24 – 6′ 3, 214 – 1M) / Doughty (24 – 6’1, 213 – 7M)

Regehr (33 – 6’3, 222 – 3M) / Voynov (23 – 6′ 0, 194 – 4.16M)

Martinez (26 – 6’1, 209 – 1.1M) / Mitchell (36 – 6’3, 210 – 3.5M)

……………………………….

Belov (27 – 6’4, 218 – .925M) / Petry (26 – 6″3, 195 – 1.75M)

Ference (34 – 5’11, 187 – 3.25M) / Larsen (24 – 6’0, 182 – 1M)

NS (31 – 6’1,203 – 3.5M) / JS (23 – 6’2,188 – .925M)

Eakins looks to be trying to balance his pairings along the lines of the Kings. Many will disagree, but I think size is a problem here for the Oilers. I think NS and Ference play positionally pretty well, and I also think they get pushed around at will.

Size coupled with the poor forward D zone play and we get the breakdowns compounded by poor control in front of the net and slot.

51. TheOtherJohn says:

LAK D average 210 lbs per Fast Oil #’s, Oilers 195 lbs.

Real discrepancy is our smaller forwards and their larger forwards

52. franksterra says:

justDOit,

Donald Sutherland’s shirt I should think.

53. Colieo87 says:

Hey Lowe tide,
    Love your articles keeps me sain in this Holy trinity mess the organization is in. I was just recently on cap geek and they updated the site to the new 71 million cap for next season. As I was checking the oiler roster what do you think of Mark Arcobello’s RFA. What do you think his pay raise will look like around? It’s funny when your compaire his elc to young guns. Poor guy got shafted. Will you expect it would be near what Ryan Smith is making? And how long of a contract you fiqure?

54. Logan91 says:

Looks like a pretty decent line up for tonight

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

Tonight’s #Oilers forward lines in LA –> Hall-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Gagner-Perron, Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky. Gazdic-Arcobello-Jones

And with Bryz back in net

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:
    Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons 20m
    BREAKING: #OKCBarons Assign G Laurent Brossoit to @Condors, Recall G Chet Pickard > http://bit.ly/1cyJNVEpic.twitter.com/dvY89115DU

I think this move is probably explained more by Bachman’s return from injury and them wanting Brossoit to get starts in than by quality of play by any of the various goalies.

With Bachman back, Brossoit was going to play back-up and if he is the guy they figure is the future, at bats are more important right now than quality of competition.

Bunz is on rock island with nothing but strange grasses to graze on, no trees for shelter and an angry otter that comes by ever 3pm to bark at him.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

I’m more interested in his final sentence: “Much less boos”

I want to read this as declarative and in the spirit of Doge:

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

From Elliotte’s 30 thoughts:

14. The only good thing about the 8-3 beating the Canucks suffered in Detroit on Feb. 24 is that it introduced them to their highest 2013 draft pick. Canucks GM Mike Gillis stayed in the area to see Horvat’s OHL London Knights face the Windsor Spitfires, who also featured some good prospects. Horvat had a goal and an assist in a 5-2 win. Suffice it to say, the Canucks were smitten.

One assumes these kinds of stories are simply a history of gateway drugs, whereby teams come to fancy or disdain a particular player and send their drones out to take a more diligent look…

But, you can’t help but read these things and assume NHL execs are a damn fickle bunch that never let a “best practices” manual have its spine broken on their dime.

58. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I read this…

4. Edmonton is trying to trade AHLer Linus Omark, who deserves a shot at the NHL level and isn’t going to get it with the Oilers. This is pure speculation on my part, but Buffalo makes sense. The Sabres are on a pace to score 137 goals. The last time a team scored fewer? Chicago in 1953-54, with 133 in 70 games. Twelve teams bettered that in lockout-shortened 1995. Last year? Eight. Omark’s not a cure, but it’s a sensible gamble, no?

… and thought “well, there it is. Omark for Erhoff. Done”.
    ;)

59. theres oil in virginia says:

Logan91: I actually liked Kassian when he was in Buffalo.

Interesting. I never saw Kassian play in Buffalo, but I’ve see Hodgson (mostly last year) in BUF, and he looks pretty good.

60. hoser313 says:

If they are truly trying to trade Omark, then the sensible thing to do would be to bring him up for 5-10 games and give him time on the PP, which by the way isn’t working as well as it should anyways. There’s really no downside at this point. Or am I asking for too much?

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: You know, when Omark does leave I’m going to miss him. He makes all these trade rumours so much more fun. What are we going to do for fun afterwards? I mean, “Abney for Giordano” just doesn’t have the same zing.

Easily the most confusing, un-heardof name to be on the Oilers official “system” roster.

62. Hammers says:

This is probably the best lineup we have had this year and Eakins seems to be playing all of them in the right place . Against LA it will show us just how good / bad we are on a line to line & pairing to pairing basis . Tomorrows comments will be great and more important show us deskchair gm’s & coaches exactly where we are .If Bryz is 1st star of the game we have a shot .

63. maudite says:

What kind of package would you have to put together to get Tyutin and Dubinsky? What is the mood in Columbus?

Klef, 2013 1st, Gagner + get you in the conversation…Dubinsky is UFA after next year so not sure how much you want to pay but if you could manage to put together a deal out our chips for them, I think you are a big step forward.

64. spoiler says:

fifthcartel: Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons 20m

Matheson mentioned a few articles ago that Bunz had had some injury problems and that’s why he was in Bakersfield. Unfortunately that is all he wrote on the matter.

65. denny33 says:

The problem I have with Omark is that he produces offence…..

He is 4th in scoring in the AHL.

I have full faith in Lowe, McTavish and Howson….they will know exactly how to handle this player.

66. denny33 says:

hoser313,

****************************************************************************
    28th place team/ Omark 4th in Ahl scoring. PP is embarrassing.

You go to far with your logic…

67. OilClog says:

hoser313:
    If they are truly trying to trade Omark, then the sensible thing to do would be to bring him up for 5-10 games and give him time on the PP, which by the way isn’t working as well as it should anyways.There’s really no downside at this point.Or am I asking for too much?

I would say No, leave him where he is and let him continue to produce and make another scout drool. Bringing up could/would(most likely) kill his value again. His coach loves him, let him shine.

Erhoff, Ott, Stafford

Dubnyk, Arco, Omark, pick.

Dreams?

Colieo87:
    Hey Lowe tide,

I’ve seen this question before, sorry it hasn’t been answered previously. :-)

I think Arcobello can be signed to a reasonable deal, probably two years and maybe $1.7-$2.0M per season. Some might believe that’s high, but I believe the RFA status clicks over if he doesn’t play a certain number of games.

Arcobello is likely to be UFA in the summer iirc.

69. Ryan says:

hoser313:

There is no market for Linus Omark.

Linus Omark had a 5v4/60 thru 14 gp 2011-2 with 1.72 toi/60 of exactly zero.

70. Jon K says:

Lowetide: I’ve seen this question before, sorry it hasn’t been answered previously.

Arcobello is likely to be UFA in the summer iirc.

LT, do you think the team might still have doubts about his effectiveness at the NHL level and give him a 1 year one-way deal around $1 million? This team sometimes falls in love with its own picks that have pedigree, to the detriment of the lesser heralded player (i.e. Pouliot/Brodziak). We could try to sell him on that contract, as it would mean that he gets to stay on the roster, and if he doesn’t his low cap hit would make him an enticing waiver wire pickup for a team where he’d get playing time opportunities.

On something of a tangent, what would people here think of trying for Brian Boyle and Thomas Vanek out of free agency? Both players would add some much needed size to the top six, and both can play with skilled players. Of course, adding both of them is likely a $11-12 million cap hit for 5+ years.

Boyle has size but has struggled with consistency. Having he and Arcobello fight for the 2C position might push both of them. The C depth would look like:

RNH
    Boyle/Arcobello
    Gordon
    Boyle/Arcobello/Lander

Regarding Vanek, I wonder if the Oilers still have interest in him, given his prior signing of the offer sheet and his experience in the prairies as a youth. One might think he still bears some goodwill toward the team, given that they made him a wealthy man last time he was looking to sign a contract.

He’d add an instant injection of size on the wings, plays a strong net presence kind of game, and would seem like an ideal 2LW behind Hall. Probably looking at 7 x $7.5 again for a contract, however.

71. delooper says:

Dinner with the girlfriend has been postponed until tomorrow. Now if only I could find some Koelsch in Victoria!

72. Ryan says:

Jon K,

Interesting thoughts and I don’t watch much of the eastern conference teams.

Generally speaking, the assumptions on a player like Vanek would be:

a) he wants to stay in Eastern Conference
    b) he wants to play for a contender
    c) he’ll want someone to back up the Brink’s truck

The Oilers are fairly loaded at RW and Vanek is pushing 30.

I don’t see the Oilers backing up the brinks truck for a 30 yr old right winger.

As for Brian Boyle, his offensive production looks like a 4rth line center lately. I don’t know much about him except that he ain’t little. :)

73. Jon K says:

Forgot to add: Caught most of the show today, LT. I think we are about due for another 5 year in-depth look back at the Oilers scouting. Sadly, a quick review of the Oilers draft picks through the Prendergast era shows a startling lack of success, at least in my humble opinion. Could very well explain why the team has struggled with depth at all positions in recent years.

2001: Hemsky, Markkanen.
    2002: Stoll, Greene.
    2003: Brodziak, Stortini.
    2004: Dubnyk.
    2005: Cogliano.
    2006: Petry. (Peckham?)
    2007: Gagner. (Nash?)
    2008: Eberle. (Hartikainen?)

It’s interesting that this very brief exercise demonstrates that even 6-7 years can sometimes be too early to make the call.

74. Pretendergast says:

Hey LT first time poster, love the site but this game is gonna be boring and terrible for the boys, if we get a goal ill be happy. Btw 21.50 for a blades ticket, no wonder nobody goes anymore, and the fact we’re terrible.

75. delooper says:

Jon K:

2003: Brodziak, Stortini.

Dealing away Brodziak is still (in hindsight) the stupidest thing the Oilers have done in recent history. Still stings.

76. yegCopywriter says:

I’d just like to point out that the Hemsky article has 83 comments. Beautiful.

NO ONE POST ON THE HEMSKY THREAD!

78. FastOil says:

delooper:
    Dinner with the girlfriend has been postponed until tomorrow.Now if only I could find some Koelsch in Victoria!

Why won’t you tell me if you’re a spy?

79. FastOil says:

NO ONE POST ON THE HEMSKY THREAD!

Can you close comments?

No. I can hide them, but that would be cruel.

81. misfit says:

For all the reasons Ryan mentioned (except listing Vanek, a LW, as a RW), I can’t see him coming here.

However, Lowe usually seems to eventually get his man. He likes a player early on and then the name gets locked in and he is forever a target (I think that’s one of the reasons we always seem to take on former 1st rounders regardless of their current ability). He aggressively went after him once before (even signed him!), so it’s not hard to believe he’d want to do so again. Not only that, but Vanek is a heck of a player so my guess is most teams would have interest.

Of course, MacT is the GM and seems to be more of an independent thinker than his predecessor, so Lowe’s wishlist is just that and not necessarily the GM’s to-do list.

82. fuzzy muppet says:

Thoughts on the Tom Wilson hit?

maudite:
    What kind of package would you have to put together to get Tyutin and Dubinsky?What is the mood in Columbus?

Klef, 2013 1st, Gagner + get you in the conversation…Dubinsky is UFA after next year so not sure how much you want to pay but if you could manage to put together a deal outour chips for them, I think you are a big step forward.

I follow some mathy CBJ guys on twitter and read the CBJ SN blog once in a while.

Guys who used to really like Tyutin thinks he may have fallen off the cliff that some Dmen do.

Horrid year.

Some of it can be explained away by being partnered with Jack “Black Hole” Johnson, but not all of it.

84. stevezie says:

fuzzy muppet,

I think players skate too fast to hit the way they used to.

fuzzy muppet:
    Thoughts on the Tom Wilson hit?

That’s a charging major if I ever saw one.

Predatory.

That should be more than 5 games, even if he has no suspension record.

Awful.

Crap, and then I post twice on the thread. Will delete in a second:

Chase with an early goal tonight, 18-18-36 in 33gp.

Moroz with an early goal tonight, 21-13-34 in 34gp.

87. stevezie says:

Delete my comment too; it was up before I realised.

88. VanOil says:

I would like to give some praise for Mark Critch for offering Pamela Anderson $1 Million to stop acting. He may not of succeeded but he will be hard pressed to pay for his drinks this holiday season. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/pamela-anderson-simpsons-sam-simon-offer-cash-to-sealers-1.2467207

Move video to 7:45 to get to the good bit.

okay it’s back to 83.

THAT is the single greatest event in the history of Canada. shut it down, folks. It’s OVA!

91. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I like the idea of random “Abney for…” trade proposals… but I think the new random trade chip should be the hyper-mystery man Alexander Bumagin:

Kind of a modern-day Joe Hulbig, then.

I’m game.

Okay, Bumagin for Burmistrov. (Do I get extra points for alliteration?)

Chase with another goal.

93. VanOil says:

I wish the Oilers had Chase in the line up tonight or a 21 year old version.

94. pboy says:

Jesus, Chase might be our gift from the drafting gods.

95. jp says:

This Jones kid looks legit. Not .967 legit, but for an undrafted kid he’s had 3 solid WHL seasons then 4 nice AHL seasons (worst SV% .919).

96. VanOil says:

4 years ago I was surprised the Doughty was the best player at the Olympics. Now I am surprised that he is not considered the best player in the NHL.

Impressive start. Wow.

98. jp says:

Also, Brown is a fuck. That should have been a penalty.

99. spoiler says:

Pretty good shift by Yak.

100. Pouzar says:

Bryz is good.

101. pboy says:

It’s like watching a middleweight fight a heavyweight but the Oilers are game so far. You can almost see their confidence level go up with Bryz in the pipes.

102. Suntory Hanzo says:

Anyone with a good feed? Firstrow is lagging and adthe is fuzzy.

103. jake70 says:

Hall made 3 bad plays there in about a 20 second span….has to clean that up.

104. RexLibris says:

Crap, and then I post twice on the thread. Will delete in a second:

Chase with an early goal tonight, 18-18-36 in 33gp.

Moroz with an early goal tonight, 21-13-34 in 34gp.

Nice splits on Chase there. ;)

One of the nicest things about watching his development this year is how much it irritates Flames fans, being a HItman and all.

I started thinking about timelines today listening to you and Bruce. We’re crying out for Nurse right now, and Klefbom (as advertised) would be a god-send.

Then I started thinking about the Kings and how many pieces were in place for years, some nearly a decade, before they finally won the Cup.

Is some of our desperation for improvement borne out of fear that this core we’ve assembled is going to disappear into the NHL aether too soon like the last group?

Compare how long players like Kopitar were playing before the team dug itself out of failure/mediocrity?

I’m just left wondering, are we getting ahead of ourselves? We aren’t in anything like the situation that the Hawks or Penguins found themselves in when they won their first cups post-rebuild.

105. flyfish1168 says:

I swear I have never seen Eberle make a pass to Yakupov

106. tcho says:

That was a good PP.

107. RexLibris says:

Nice possession by Larsen in the offensive zone there.

108. RexLibris says:

tcho,

Are the Oilers toilet-training?

109. Henry says:

Damn, the Edmonton Oilers are looking kind of, sort of good so far.

110. Henry says:

fuck

111. jp says:

Wow, that got ugly in a hurry. Gheez.

112. D says:

Sam Gagner – where promising plays in the offensive zone go to die.

113. D says:

That Kings goal was what I call a swarm offense.

114. Henry says:

sorry, joubo hate me

115. Gerta Rauss says:

I didn’t see the Gagner line good there…

116. tcho says:

Why is 89 standing around near the hash marks on that goal? He doesn’t seem to be far enough out to cover a d-man, and he’s not collapsed around the net where all the Kings are…

117. spoiler says:

Forwards standing around as usual.

118. LMHF#1 says:

That was on Larsen. Not only making a snow angel out front, but prevented Belov from covering for him.

119. Henry says:

tcho:

He missed a year or two of junior.

120. G Money says:

Man, those Kings get away with murder.

121. GordM says:

tcho:

Not knowing the system, it’s hard to lay blame. I can say one thing though, those guys (Gagner/Belov, and I’ll add Larsen) have absolutely no confidence in where they are supposed to be and who they are supposed to cover. Arms are motioning/pointing.etc… Good teams just operate IMO.

122. Logan91 says:

My god, Dwight King looks like a scary clown when he smiles

123. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Hard not to be choked with Gagner always two steps behind or literally standing still when teams crash in the slot. Just absolutely absent a chromosome that triggers man coverage and closing gaps in his own zone.

GordM: After I saw him slam his stick, I re-watched the shift on the PVR.89 has Kopitar checked for a time, then some switching goes on, Belov comes up to push Kopitar…gets stuck with him freeing Muzzin…Gagner stands still and doesn’t switch, gets caught in no-man’s land watching the play.

Not knowing the system, it’s hard to lay blame.I can say one thing though, those guys (Gagner/Belov, and I’ll add Larsen) have absolutely no confidence in where they are supposed to be and shot they are supposed to cover.Arms are motioning/pointing.etc…Good teams just operate IMO.

125. flyfish1168 says:

GordM: After I saw him slam his stick, I re-watched the shift on the PVR. 89 has Kopitar checked for a time, then some switching goes on, Belov comes up to push Kopitar…gets stuck with him freeing Muzzin…Gagner stands still and doesn’t switch, gets caught in no-man’s land watching the play.Not knowing the system, it’s hard to lay blame. I can say one thing though, those guys (Gagner/Belov, and I’ll add Larsen) have absolutely no confidence in where they are supposed to be and shot they are supposed to cover. Arms are motioning/pointing.etc… Good teams just operate IMO.

I wonder if they were even communicating out there to each other. can’t read lips.

126. Thiru says:

Larsen going down there to block the pass wasn’t a terrible play, the real question is why there was a 2 on 1 down low in the first place. Gagner should have been there.

127. RexLibris says:

So I’m sitting pretty far back from the TV and I have it on mute (because Kypreos) and I see the banner at the bottom and swear it reads “Gretzky’s plan is to RUIN nhl team”….pause….re-read….oh, RUN – gotcha.

heh, cause that would’ve been an easy goal to set.

128. Pouzar says:

Thought we did ok that period. Fast paced.

129. RexLibris says:

Oilers currently tied with the Islanders and sitting in 28th place overall.

So, any opinions on how Ekblad would look paired with Darnell Nurse on the blueline?

130. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Thought we did ok that period. Fast paced.

Me too. The narrative going in was to make the Kings play an up-tempo game. From what I saw it seemed to be at times, so points for getting them out of their comfort zone.

131. spoiler says:

Lowetide: This is a really insightful point. I know Sam Gagner isn’t a dummy, so what is he processing there? I mean, we can rip him a new one tonight, but WHAT IS HE THINKING?

I think he was thinking the same thing when he whacked his stick…WHAT WAS I THINKING!!?

132. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:
    Oilers currently tied with the Islanders and sitting in 28th place overall.

I can’t allow myself to think about it. I just can’t.

133. G Money says:

GordM: Not knowing the system, it’s hard to lay blame. I can say one thing though, those guys (Gagner/Belov, and I’ll add Larsen) have absolutely no confidence in where they are supposed to be and who they are supposed to cover.

That’s an important point. The automatic goat is to blame Gagner, but on that sequence, every one of the Oilers *every* *single* *one* was floating around at some point and watching the puck instead of swivel/cover.

At least Gagner looked like he cared that a goal was scored. A rare emotion on these Oilers.

134. Thiru says:

Oh baby Hemsky!

135. Pouzar says:

I know **** all about systems but to my eye it doesn’t look like a fire drill. I mean L.A. is good and we have our hands full but I see improvement.

136. jp says:

That call is bullshit. A bunch of Kings have done as much this game. That’s really too bad.

137. Alsker says:

G Money: That’s an important point.The automatic goat is to blame Gagner, but on that sequence, every one of the Oilers *every* *single* *one* was floating around at some point and watching the puck instead of swivel/cover.

At least Gagner looked like he cared that a goal was scored.A rare emotion on these Oilers.

<Isn't that like hindsight, emotion of defeat or the realization he might be on the 4th line again next game(as if it matters). He cared that they scored….LOL…care before they score would be a fuck of lot better don't you think?

138. G Money says:

jp:

Some day, an NHL player will die because of a disgusting dirty play by an LA King. On that play, the deceased player will have a penalty called on him.

Alsker: Isn’t that like hindsight, emotion of defeat or the realization he might be on the 4th line again next game(as if it matters). He cared that they scored….LOL…care before they score would be a fuck of lot better don’t you think?

Regret is better than not caring, yes?

139. tcho says:

I was worried this might be another Vancouver-ish game, but despite the shot clock (20-12), I’m pretty happy with the Oil’s play tonight.

140. RexLibris says:

Thiru:
    Oh baby Hemsky!

He’s not a baby.

He just shaves like one.

141. jp says:

Need more Perron’s. Need them!

142. Pouzar says:

In a couple years it won’t matter how big the opposition is. There will be no answer for these kids.

143. Rebilled says:

Great save.

Petry with a nice play there.

145. Colieo87 says:

flyfish1168,

I know end and hall just leave him out to dry there’s definitely friction in the dressing room. And I seen that coming the moment they drafted yak.

146. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I can’t allow myself to think about it. I just can’t.

I’m not sure I can’t keep myself from going there.

Here’s how I can see it happening. Nothing moves this season because, well, we know it is basically lost and draft picks are at their highest value in the moments before they get called. So MacTavish waits and if they are picking say 4th overall then he takes all offers on the table and it has to be for warm bodies.

A 4th overall, or something thereabouts, might be enough to a GM somewhere like Buffalo, where he hasn’t seen his players in a few weeks and has spent all his time going over draft lists and prospects, etc.

Loathe though I am to prioritize the draft again, if Ekblad is available when the Oilers are up, I’d be pretty hard-pressed to move that pick. And this team’s history in addition to the 14-team lottery means that there is no way I move the 2015 1st.

148. delooper says:

The pace of the game is great. The Kings are a really good team and it’s clear the Oilers are going to have to be unusually good (for them) just to compete. Wow is this game fast.

149. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I’m not sure I can’t keep myself from going there.

150. Rebilled says:

Gene, isn’t it SlovEnia?

151. spoiler says:

How is Doughty not called for interference-hook on 14?

152. RexLibris says:

Lord help me, but I can’t find much fault in this team tonight.

There’s enough fight in the dog, they are finding the right spot for puck protection and retrieval, and they are getting some chances.

They may lose 3-0, but if they can raise their game to this level against some of the best the league has to offer, then I’m willing to be patient.

153. fishman says:

Like the Oil’s determination tonight but size does matter. Hard to watch our smaller players getting bounced around. We sure as he’ll don’t get many breaks from the officials. We know we are too small and need size. The answer we hear is it is hard to turn this around in a short time frame. We have the same money to spend on players as Kings, Ducks and Sharks and we have had much higher draft picks. Kevin of 6 rings how did we get here and does anyone have a plan?? Love Bryz’s game!

154. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: You think Ekblad would be there at #4? Man I dunno…if so MacT better be doin his best Newfie Jig up to the podium.

Where did Seth Jones, Adam Larsson, Griffin Reinhart and Alex Pietrangelo go?

Hedman went 2nd, granted, but you really never know with blueliners until they’re name is called.

155. flyfish1168 says:

Colieo87:
    flyfish1168,

I know end and hall just leave him out to dry there’s definitely friction in the dressing room.And I seen that coming the moment they drafted yak.

I agree. More from Eberle. Sad they are on the same team and should be on the same misson.

156. G Money says:

Speaking of urgency, I have to admit that with Bryzgalov in net, my sphincters are so relaxed I fear I might poo myself.

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stop fantasizing about Ekblad. Start fantasizing about Draisaitl.

Also, Kharia with a goal tonight.

158. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:
    Lord help me, but I can’t find much fault in this team tonight.

I am right there with you. I am forced to stay up now and watch the 3rd period. Very impressed actually.

159. spoiler says:

G Money: If the Oilers could play with this urgency from the beginning of the game, they’d be nobody’s patsy.

They played well at the start, Kings took over in the second half of the first. Bryz is so much more mobile than Doobie it is ridiculous.

160. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Stop fantasizing about Ekblad. Start fantasizing about Draisaitl.

Also, Kharia with a goal tonight.

How’s about I just like them, leave the fantasizing to others. ;)

Do we know how much time Draisaitl is spending at C as opposed to W. I’ve seen him listed as LW/C and I’d far rather add a high-end D-man or C than another winger.

161. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Where did Seth Jones, Adam Larsson, Griffin Reinhart and Alex Pietrangelo go?

162. spoiler says:

Lowetide: 25, 8-10-18 for Khaira as he scores again tonight. Healthy and the offense coming along a little better.

A future fourth line of Moroz, Khaira and Chase could be fearsome.

I’m doing some things for Bleacher Report, Rom might want to check this out

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper:

As luck would have it, Victoria’s own Philips has a lovely Kolsch:

Had one at Garrick’s Head Pub this afternoon as a matter of fact.

165. RexLibris says:

Eyes tell another story.

I think it was Bruce on LT’s show today who quoted someone from a soccer blog as saying that Advanced Analytics is a great diagnostic tool, but a poor cure. Couldn’t agree more.

166. delooper says:

Romulus Apotheosis: As luck would have it, Victoria’s own Philips has a lovely Kolsch:

Had one at Garrick’s Head Pub this afternoon as a matter of fact.

That one is not Frueh-y enough for me.

167. Thiru says:

Hall has been incredible tonight.

168. delooper says:

The Oilers are playing a pretty good game. Not enough offensive opportunities but they’re mostly doing all the other right things.

169. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Gotcha but where is Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov in this draft? I can’t see Ekblad dropping to 4 with this forward group.

In 2011 it was Nugent-Hopkins or Larsson, Couturier had, by June, fallen out of the picture.

Yet Larsson fell to 4th and Couturier to 8th.

My only point is this, history suggests that you have no way of knowing the real value of that pick until moments before it is called.

If the pick is #4 and Buffalo offers Erhoff for it and Marincin. MacTavish waits until the first three names are on the board and Ekblad is still available, then Buffalo’s advantage is lost and the Oilers could start fielding offers from multiple teams.

Compare to Scott Howson’s trade for Jeff Carter that included the pick that ended up netting Sean Couturier. Had he waited until draft day rather than making the deal the night before, he might have been able to retain some value in the trade or not make the deal at all and move ahead with Couturier, Voracek, and Johansen.

170. D says:

I’m going to open a can here with respect to the (remaining) Dubnyk fans. It’s amazing what a clutch goaltender like Bryz can do for a team’s bench. Even the LA broadcast mentioned a similar point with regards to their goalie (Jones). This game would not be 1-0 if Bryz wasn’t in net.

Now cue the barrage of “clutch saves are urban myths” rejoinders that we have to read every time I raise this point.

171. jp says:

RexLibris:
    Lord help me, but I can’t find much fault in this team tonight.

172. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m doing some things for Bleacher Report, Rom might want to check this out

That’s a fun read LT!

Be sure to promote these things at your own blog. You know we compulsively read your material.

I’m surprised you have Ekblad ahead of Reinhart to be honest. The comparison with Chris Philips has stuck in my head like an ear-worm elevator re-mix of a Burt Bacharach tune… it has me mixing worries about projecting long term D development with limited upside. At 1st OV, I’d like a higher ceiling/comparable.

173. delooper says:

That said, the Oilers could use some clutch offence. Time for Eberle and Yakupov to crank it up.

Yakupov! Yakupov!

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: That one is not Frueh-y enough for me.

Hmmm…. what does the old Rathskeller have on tap these days? Maybe something in there…

175. RexLibris says:

I’m doing some things for Bleacher Report, Rom might want to check this out

A good read. Okay, I’m sold on Draisaitl, but I just hope this “German Gretzky” thing dies. Reminds of Jiri “European Messier” Dopita a bit too much.

176. RexLibris says:

jp: I can’t disagree either. This kind of play consistently puts them a lot higher than 28th overall.

177. G Money says:

RexLibris: Interesting to note, ES has the Kings skating away with this one but for Bryzgalov.
    Eyes tell another story.

We’ve seen this story in some other games this season too. A lot of times, the Kings get into the offensive zone, they take a quick shot and then chase rebounds and either take a few more pokes or failing that, turn it into a war on the boards. The Oilers far too often try to make their shot a highlight reel tic-tac-toe goal. So the possession is not so far apart, but the possession-to-shots conversion rate is much higher for the Quinks.

178. D says:

delooper:
    That said, the Oilers could use some clutch offence.Time for Eberle and Yakupov to crank it up.

Yakupov!Yakupov!

That’s for sure. It would be awesome if Yak pulled this team even.

179. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Maybe it doesn’t this year. But if we’re going to flush a(nother) season down the toilet, let’s at least get something from it.

I’m torn on Ekblad vs 2nd line C ( Reinhart or Draisaitl).

Sooooo intrigued by Weber/Suter :P

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: A 2C like Reinhart, Bennett or Draisaitl (aka: Hockey Jesus – pronounced hey-soos) is music to my ears.

He’s listed variously as C/LW has size, hands and is on my list of players to watch.

181. pboy says:

No such thing as an LA King penalty, I guess.

182. spoiler says:

If I’m Eberle, I’m apologizing to the officiating crew after the game for dating their teenage daughters… or kicking their dogs, or whatever it was.

183. spoiler says:

Two smart patient resets there by the Oilers prior to the Carter break.

184. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If we trade our pick, but somehow get one back in the 10-20 range… look out for this guy:

Yeah, Barbashev’s name has come up here and there.

Russian connection and all I suppose so it is reasonable to imagine.

185. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Imagine if we had Bryz from the start of the season. What a friggin difference he is making.

186. D says:

Thank you Ference. Bigger thank you Bryz.

187. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I’m torn on Ekblad vs 2nd line C ( Reinhart or Draisaitl).

Sooooo intrigued by Weber/Suter

188. OilBuzz says:

Hopefully this game combined with Bryz’s other performances will silence the undue praise of DD. Save% be damned, anyone arguing that DD is the superior goaltender is a damn fool. Just look at their movement. DD is a sloth.

189. Rebilled says:

I get it! It’s not interference if the guy is smaller than you!

190. RexLibris says:

Beautiful shift there.

Progress and development.

191. tcho says:

If we could score one, I’d like our chances in a shootout.

192. spoiler says:

RexLibris: Beautiful shift there.RNH wins two faceoffs, Hall comes back to play defense and breaks up a potential 2-1, then passes to the offensive zone for a chance.Progress and development.

And then the Nuge has his arm and stick held while his progress to the puck is impeded and there is no call. We won’t beat the Kings regularly till this crap is called.

193. RexLibris says:

spoiler: And then the Nuge has his arm and stick held while his progress to the puck is impeded and there is no call.We won’t beat the Kings regularly till this crap is called.

Yeah, but you know how the song goes, got to ac-cen-tuate the positive.

194. RexLibris says:

tcho:
    If we could score one, I’d like our chances in a shootout.

I’d like our chances better if we could score two.

195. RexLibris says:

Okay, time to start targeting knees. Holding calls I can handle missing, but low-bridging a guy!

196. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Personally, this team is so thin down the middle that I take the C every time. Drafting defensemen high is great when it works. Disastrous when it fails. The Philips comp today had me backing up too. At 1st or 2nd overall? Thanks but no thanks.

197. jp says:

pboy:
    No such thing as an LA King penalty, I guess.

You know, I and others have complained tonight about the calls/non-calls. But this has been a great, fast game to watch. The lack of whistles has helped that a lot. It’s been a fun game.

198. spoiler says:

Dmen are activating more, but they kinda have to.

199. RexLibris says:

Maybe set Yakupov up on the point and tell him to aim for the opposition’s head.

200. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Given the success of Chase, I say we keep trading down till we own the ENTIRE 7th rd!

2016 – two down, 28 to go.

Newer Comments »