OILERS MAKE MOVES

The Edmonton Oilers have recalled Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander, while also demoting Will Acton and Denis Grebeshkov to Oklahoma City.

Acton’s CorsiON ranks him 430th out of 446 NHL forwards playing five or more games this season. The number is close to the “Petrell line” but he did play with enforcers and that can impact the number in a major way.

Grebeshkov’s CorsiON ranks him number one among Oiler defensemen.

Potter has been up and down like a yo-yo this season, I wrote about him here.

Marincin will be the third player drafted by Edmonton in 2010 to play in the NHL (Hall, Pitlick) should be play in the game tomorrow night. He’s a rangy player who can pass the puck and likes to engage in the offensive side of the game. I wrote recently about him here.

Lander should be well known to Oiler fans, he’s played quite a bit with the NHL team during his entry-level deal. I wrote about Lander in the summer.

The club also placed Ilya Bryzgalov on IR.

(Marincin photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

62 Responses to "OILERS MAKE MOVES"

1. KSC10032 says:

Potter officially recalled as well, not that he actually went anywhere.

As far as Lander and Marancin are concerned, might as well have a look at the big kid, and Lander — regardless of actual progress made to date — is still one of the four best centres in the current organization.

Lets face it — the 2014-2015 Training Camp started about a month ago, and will continue until October. We may as well take a look at anyone in OKC who looks like they have even a shot at being ready. There are lots of players on the current NHL roster that we can lose 6-2 at home without.

2. Pouzar says:

Is this a legit audition or another paper transaction or 1 and done? I’d like to see Marincin actually get a legit shot to stick.

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That holiday fire log brings more entertainment value than a lot of Oilers games lately.

I’m looking forward to seeing Marincin play(assuming he gets into a game) although I have a hard time getting excited about anything Oiler related now. I wish I had not spent the $175 on the Center Ice package.

4. Nostradumbass says:

It’s good to know the organization has put some thought into who their 8 best defenceman are and thus whom are the candidates for call up

It’s Davidson, nope

Larsen,maybe

Potter

Grebs

Let’s try Klefbom

Bring in Fedun

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nostradumbass: And on and on, any Dman in the system who doesn’t get a call up this year should feel really crappy

Ha!

I thought the same thing!

I’m guessing Hunt is next on the list to get the call.

6. leadfarmer says:

I’m a fan of giving these prospects 1-2 games a year. It pays them almost 8000 a game (roughly) compared to the $60000 for a year they get in the AHL. Its a nice bonus, incentive to work harder, and an idea of things to work on when the game is faster.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Takes:

Willis:

McCurdy:

this part is particularly good:

While I think Potter is a competent bottom-of-roster NHL defenceman, I wonder if the Oilers wouldn’t have been better served bringing up Marincin and Fedun as a tandem. They’ve had a successful partnership dating back to last year’s playoffs. While one part of my brain flashes red flags saying “TWO” “ROOKIES”, another region says their familiarity with each other might have value. Yet a third cranial hot spot, right at brain stem level, is flashing “9-18-2″, so why not experiment? It’s not like the six guys that have been playing here lately have been tearing it up.

Interesting article on Belov:

discussed in Staples’ piece:

8. Gret99zky says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The big story today is this:

Are those ELCs in there amongst the logs?

9. Andy P says:

Sorry to see our only 2 competent goalies on IR. Every game DD plays is another nail in the coffin, every game won is a victory for the defense. The only way to win with DD in the net is to prevent shots on net, more so than most goalies. IMHO.
    But I’m glad to see Lander and Marincin given a chance.

10. Hammers says:

Thank goodness . Lander has long term potential while Acton never did . Wonder if McT had something to do with this as it seemed like Eakins thought he was the second coming . Lander is a fully rounded player . Marincin also needs 5 games so we can see if he will have a chance next year or the following . Progressing nicely . Potter , yea he has experience but face it his not a long term solution . Personally would have sooner seen Fedun come back up . Seems like management is accepting that all hope is gone so lets see what we have . I would rotate Marincin , Klefbom & Fedun for the #6 role say every 5th game especially if no trade for a “D” is coming .

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For any Ontarians, the fantastic Steve Paikan on TVO is doing a special on the concussion litigation right now.

12. russ99 says:

Glad to see Marincin get a cup of coffee, but I hope they continue to let him develop in OKC.

To me, the real story is Lander for Acton. With Gordon out, this tells me that MacT sees Acton as not reliable, despite Eakins publicly raking Arcobello over the coals last night.

Could this be a long awaited shift away from the Old Boy method to give us a better chance to win games?

13. jake70 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Not in Ontario but when I had Rogers as my provider, I got TVO, and used to watch Paikan all the time.

14. Andy P says:

I never thought Acton was up to the NFL and I don’t think he ever would have played on this team had Daddy not been coach. I’m glad MacT has put his foot down here, or at least appears to have done that. I think the best thing we can do is clear out the assistants for 2014 if not sooner

Andy P:
    Inever thought Acton was up to the NFL and I don’t think he ever would have played on this team had Daddy not been coach. I’m glad MacT has put his foot down here, or at least appears to have done that.I think the best thing we can do is clear out the assistants for 2014 if not sooner

I never though Acton would make the NFL. Not ever.

16. G Money says:

Weak side linebacker, obviously.

Gagner the strong side linebacker of course.

Too bad our middle linebacker is in San Jose now.

17. LMHF#1 says:

Omark is busy lapping the field in OKC and getting nothing from it. Brutal.

Looking forward to seeing Marincin play though.

Good luck Will Acton. You had your chance. It didn’t work out.

18. Andy P says:

Lowetide: I never though Acton would make the NFL.Not ever.

LOL
    You know I meant NHL :)

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andy P:

I frankly don’t buy the Father angle.

Eakins hasn’t shied from his love of Acton since before the season (smell that won’t go away; wormed his way into PK meetings; always trying to get better; always bet against; etc.),

or the fact that he relied on him with the Marlies (old habits die hard… Eakins has his own, despite complaining about those of his players),

or the fact that when Arco was finally healthy scratched, the team was “winning” games and this coach is mildly superstitious,

or his love affair with “heaviness” on the 4th line.

Those are four readily available explanations for Eakins preference of Acton, before we even touch the sideburns treatment of Arco, that have nothing to do with Father Acton.

Father Acton probably creates an impression of unfair treatment… but I really don’t see it.

Eakins already has numerous reasons he believes in and is willing to declare publicly for his preferences, we should probably spend our time discussing those.

Romulus Apotheosis: I frankly don’t buy the Father angle.

or his love affair with “heaviness” on the 4th line.

21. steveb12344 says:

Lowetide: I agree, and yet it’s kind of funny that he also skewered Acton by giving him enforcers to skate with on that line. I still don’t know if he’s any damn good.

If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer!

22. Young Oil says:

Nurse and Platzer both with an assist and a +1 playing against eachother tonight.

. I still don’t know if he’s any damn good

From Willis’ piece:

Will Acton’s best AHL season saw him put up 19 points. Lander has 15 through 18 games this year. They aren’t in the same ballpark offensively, and Lander’s posted numbers while being dominant as a defensive forward.

So yeah, you do know if he’s any damn good.

I wish this was Lander’s first call up and we were excited to see him.

I fear many will have their view tainted by a bewildered 20 year old drowning and Renney refusing to throw the life preserver.

I have high hopes for this young man and think that he’ll stick.

At the very least at least the smell in the room went away.

I hope to my household gods that Lander gets some line mates not named Gazdic.

24. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I frankly don’t buy the Father angle.

or his love affair with “heaviness” on the 4th line.

Rom,
    I have a lot of time for Keegan Lowe deciding to pursue his NHL career outside of the Oilers, no doubt to avoid the accusation of riding on Dad’s coat tails.
    I feel that if one’s Dad is an assistant coach on a team then you should really follow your hockey career elsewhere. Acton was never good enough so whatever the reason to bring him up it was the wrong one, and the optics remain terrible whatever the real reason.
    Acton Sr. should not have allowed it either.

Woodguy:

. I still don’t know if he’s any damn good

From Willis’ piece:

Will Acton’s bestAHL season saw him put up 19 points. Lander has 15 through 18 games this year. They aren’t in the same ballpark offensively, and Lander’s posted numbers while being dominant as a defensive forward.

So yeah, you do know if he’s any damn good.

I wish this was Lander’s first call up and we were excited to see him.

I have high hopes for this young man and think that he’ll stick.

At the very least at least the smell in the room went away.

I hope to my household gods that Lander gets some line mates not named Gazdic.

26. Hammers says:

Andy P: Rom,
    Acton Sr. should not have allowed it either.

The old timers like myself always said your own kid had to not be the same as, but better and if he wasn’t he got less time on the ice & more on the bench . Actually surprised at Keith for not saying something 10-20 games ago . Oh well maybe we can now move forward but it does tell us Eakins doesn’t evaluate his players properly .

Lowetide: If Lander plays with the same clucks as Action has, and posts the same weird numbers, do we place Lander in the same position? I don’t know if we can tell much from Acton’s WOWY aside from he got some horrible linemates to start his NHL career.

Lander should put up better numbers with the same guys.,

No one puts up “good” numbers with these types of guys, but they should be better, given a reasonable sample.

Seeing how Eakins has slowed down on playing Gazidc I think he gets it.

We’ll see.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, then you have to default to his love of “heaviness” and the fact that he would often praise them after games.

He didn’t think he was “skewering” Acton. He thought he was icing a “heavy” “wear them down” “cycle pressure” yadda-yadda line.

In this case we are treating the symptom not the disease.

The disease is a hockey-wide love affair with useless 4th lines (even MacT after saying you have to be a threat to score; you need to have skill with your size picked up both SMac and Gazdic alongside Brown and Eager).

The symptom is Acton playing 4C.

We don’t do ourselves any favors worrying over the symptom if we can’t get the aetiology right.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Young Oil:

I hate that the Nucks and the Yotes are being responsible with Horvat and Domi. I want to see what that kid has.

The truth is, though, he’s going to be in jr. next year anyway, so we can wait. I just hope Hunter is learning him good.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andy P: Rom,
    Acton Sr. should not have allowed it either.

I don’t think that is fair.

The NHL is the big ticket. THere is no way I ask Will Acton to turn down a shot at the NHL because his dad is on the staff. No way you blame the player on this.

31. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Your thoughts on Keegan Lowe’s decision then? Do you think he was wrong not to want to be drafted by the Oil?

By the way…

He did this hauling around Downie and Read.

Yeah, he’s got no offence.

33. Andy P says:

Woodguy:
    By the way…

He did this hauling around Downie and Read.

Yeah, he’s got no offence.

I would swap Couturier with Gags straight up all day, not that we could.

Woodguy:
    By the way…

He did this hauling around Downie and Read.

Yeah, he’s got no offence.

The worry on Couturier shouldn’t be offense, it should be experience. He’s fine in Philly, but on a team like Edmonton a veteran center is the right play imo.

35. Lois Lowe says:

I, for one, would love Couturier and Coburn for Ebs. I don’t think any sane GM trades for that for Gags unless it includes Nurse as well.

36. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    By the way…

He did this hauling around Downie and Read.

Yeah, he’s got no offence.

Was going to ask if you’d do Eberle for Couturier +, but I see LL has something up on that now.

I’m heavily reticent to move Eberle, but the 2C slot is just one of the many damning things killing this team.

37. jp says:

Well, he and Dubnyk don’t seem to have good chemistry.

Agreed that the WOWY doesn’t say much about Acton. But those 141-15-20-35 AHL totals (and not at age 20-21 either) say a lot.

38. Caramel Obvious says:

Bring on the revisionist history. When I said that Couturier was the second coming based on performance and not promise, that he was a guarantee to score in the NHL I was told repeatedly that he was only a third line center. Now everyone wants to climb on the bandwagon (not woodguy he was one of the few who agreed).

jp: Well, he and Dubnyk don’t seem to have good chemistry.

Caramel Obvious:
    Bring on the revisionist history.When I said that Couturier was the second coming based on performance and not promise, that he was a guarantee to score in the NHL I was told repeatedly that he was only a third line center. Now everyone wants to climb on the bandwagon (not woodguy he was one of the few who agreed).

Yes, quite.

41. Caramel Obvious says:

I was talking about two weeks ago and wasn’t referencing you. I was told by many people that we had no way to know if Couturier would ever score similarly to Gagner and that he was only a third line center with promise. I don’t remember my specific proposal but it was Gagner +++++, and I was laughed out of town.

42. Lois Lowe says:

Caramel Obvious:

I still think that the Nuge is the best C out of that draft class. I recall most of the chatter here being about trying to grab both Nuge and Couturier by trading Hemsky plus plus for a pick in the top 10. I might be wrong, but that’s certainly what I recall. I actually don’t remember anyone really tearing apart Couturier’s game, it was more of a non-issue considering how much the Oilers needed the best C prospect in the group.

Caramel Obvious:
    I was talking about two weeks ago and wasn’t referencing you. I was told by many people that we had no way to know if Couturier would ever score similarly to Gagner and that he was only a third line center with promise.I don’t remember my specific proposal but it was Gagner +++++, and I was laughed out of town.

Oh, well, that’s fine then. :-)

44. hoser313 says:

Hope they give Lander Jones and Jonesuu for linemates. Or better yet, put him up with Smyth and Perron and see how he looks. I don’t think the kid’s ever had a shift at anywhere other than 4th line in his time with the big club (but maybe I’m wrong).

In fairness to Acton, I actually think he’s looked OK on the 4th line…if the goal of the 4th line is simply to create havoc….which is clearly what they were asked to do. The only problem with the Acton-Gazdic-Random line is that the Arco-Jones-Jonesuu line looked like so much more of a threat to score.

Hope Marincin gets into a game. No good reason for him not to at this point in the season.

45. jp says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Now, did he play a 4line own zone role or was he more featured? Based on what I’ve read he kind of did every slop bucket chore available and those numbers might be a guy who can’t score a lick or they might be a guy who was get severe zs’s.

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

Sine he returned from his broken foot last March, Anton Lander has played 34 regular season & playoff games in OKC and has posted 20-13-33, +16. So, 20 goals in 34 games. Not bad.

In his minor league career with the Marlies, Will Acton played 167 regular season and playoff games, and posted 20-23-43, +5. So, 20 goals in 167 games. Not good.

Lander is 22, Acton 26. The Oilers are going nowhere. Seems like a no-brainer.

jp: Yeah, usage and linemates certainly affect the boxcars. I imagine we’re seeing a little of column A and a little of column B (tough conditions and can’t score). He’s probably been playing a similar role forever, but he’s NEVER scored. Just shy of a PPG in Jr A in his age 19 season and topped out at 24 Pts in college. I think you noted that when he was signed – there was nothing in his history to suggest he’d be able to hit .200 in the bigs. He does bring some nice things, but so did Petrell. He’s done well to get to 23 NHL games if that’s where it ends.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andy P:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I think that was a completely different situation. Keegan was a 3rd round pick that asked not to be part of his father’s organization from the beginning of his long drive toward pro hockey.

If/when he is 26 and lingering on the outskirts of pro hockey and an NHL team his dad happens to be on the staff of comes calling, he’d be nuts to turn it down and I wouldn’t fault him.

I completely understand and endorse both decisions from the player’s perspective. And, I don’t think they are incongruent.

49. G Money says:

Woodguy: Noted good young defensive Center Sean Couturier, who doesn’t have enough offense for some to consider for the Oilers 2C has 9 points in his last 8 games.

Say, isn’t this the blog where we understand numbers well enough to (rightly) mock folks for cherry-picking data and/or small sample sizes?

I know about this player who got 8 points in a single game once …

50. jp says:

It will be nice to see both Lander and Marincin. I guess Lander might be here for good this time – there’s a spot there for him and/or Arcobello with Acton out of the picture.

And Marincin. I wonder what the chances of him actually sticking are. 5%? 10%? 25%? I certainly wouldn’t go higher than that, but if he plays well he’s not going anywhere.

TC 2014. Ugh.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: I know about this player who got 8 points in a single game once …

Was Mr. Jankowski in the stands?

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Oh sure, I’m just being contrary. I like Lander miles more, and didn’t really understand what they were talking about during TC. Turns out he was probably just a safety blanket for the head coach, but I bet money he’ll be in the organization longer than Lander.

If that means he walks to Europe for nothing or another NHL team, I’ll be mighty disappointed. If it means he’s a sweetener in a trade to land a useful NHL player, great!

I’m a big Lander fan though. I could see him taking Gordon’s spot in 2 1/2 years.

53. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Was Mr. Jankowski in the stands?

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Obviously not, because clearly if he was, young Sammy would be a lock for 1C on the Oly team!

If somehow Nurse’s draft year were this year… he plays the same, but also doesn’t get called up to WJC and the same complaints get aired about him publicly by HC….

do the Oilers still pick him?

How aligned is there thinking with HC?

Very is both my fear and guess.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

9 minutes ago
    TSNBobMcKenzie: I can tell you there are some developments in the works that will ensure TSN’s hockey coverage remains first rate for a long, long time.

I’m guessing this means they’ll be broadcasting a lot of cross-merch feeds of US games with NBC or whatever…

they can do that right?

Rogers deal is only exclusive to Canadian teams right?

I know I’d watch Pit, or Chi, or SJS, or really any hockey game any time.

This could be really good… more hockey.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    9 minutes ago

they can do that right?

Rogers deal is only exclusive to Canadian teams right?

I know I’d watch Pit, or Chi, or SJS, or really any hockey game any time.

This could be really good… more hockey.

So they could have Big Monday, Super Tuesday, Puck Wednesday, Thunder Thursday and Free for all Friday.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Well, the broadcast window for national games is sewn up on Saturday and Sunday nights, leaving Mon-Fri and then Sat and sun afternoons.

Do us fans really care?

I will happily watch hockey any day of the week (and I do).

58. rickithebear says:

Andy P:
    Sorry to see our only 2 competent goalies on IR. Every game DD plays is another nail in the coffin, every game won is a victory for the defense.The only way to win with DD in the net is to prevent shots on net, more so than most goalies. IMHO.
    But I’m glad to seeLander and Marincin given a chance.

Andy i seek your extensive Goaltending Knowledge.
    Explain every shot in the game and name were DD was at fault.

I look forward to your extensive insight!

59. Andy P says:

Hi LT, based on your comments suggesting SC as #1 pick, based on what you know now, would you trade RNH straight up for SC?

60. Andy P says:

rickithebear: Andy i seek your extensive Goaltending Knowledge.Explain every shot in the game and name were DD was at fault.I explained 6 shots that should get 4.5 goals. from terrible forward and defence.Explain to me how the other 27 shots should only be 1 goal or tell me why the 6 shots i discussed should be less than 4.5 goals.I look forward to your extensive insight!

If you survey my comments you will see that I am studying the game but have never claimed to be an expert. So I’m not sure what your problem is outside of you don’t like my opinion.

Andy P:

God no. My concern about RNH at the time had to do with size, speed and scoring. There were a few things about him as a prospect that were concerning:

1. He (like Couturier) apparently had some skating issues
    2. His offensive numbers weren’t that impressive, at least compared to previous #1 overalls
    3. He looked 12

The skating issue was solved for me when Steve Serdachny came on the Nation Radio show and was very convincing about the Nuge’s skating ability. I was talked ‘first step’ and he was all about edges and you have to see this guy.

And he was right.

The offense hasn’t been a problem, although at even strength he’s lagged.

He still looks 12.

I love the Nuge, wouldn’t trade him. :-)