PROCUREMENT

GM Craig MacTavish gave his Christmas ‘state of the union’ address to Oiler fans today (it is on the team website). MacT talked about the focus moving to amateur over Christmas and into the new year and the importance of the draft.

MacTavish made it a point to endorse Stu MacGregor and his amateur scouts, and that comes as no surprise to me. However, I’m certain many Oiler fans are disappointed in this news, as MacGregor’s performance has been under fire over the last couple of years (specifically since the 2010 draft began turning pro).

Among the specifics:

• MacT: “Last year was an unbeleiveable year (for the draft) and I saw so many players that I liked, and fortunately last year was an extremely deep draft. This year is not as deep.”
  • MacT: “I feel extremely comfortable with him (Stu MacGregor) at the helm for our amateur draft.”
  • MacT: “It is definitely draft and develop, we’re going to augment that with some free agent signings as we did last year (Gordon, Ference) and try and make some trades that will enable us to find the right fit with another team.”

We all read these things differently, but here’s my take:

1. Although there may be changes in specific scouts on the amateur side (they’ve been in add mode for some time) the overall thrust is pleasing to the new GM. I’m onside all the way, as was reflected in my recent top 40. Names like Nurse, Yakimov, Chase and Simpson have forced their way up the list that includes Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat.
  2. They’re going to trade a top player, one of the impact kids and get a defenseman. Follow Elliotte Friedman. Two names he mentioned in today’s 30—Max Pacioretty and Shea Weber—are extremely interesting. If not those players, then that type.

35 Responses to "PROCUREMENT"

1. David says:

Ya except Friedman was suggesting that the oilers trade either Hall or Nugent-Hopkins. Which to me are both non starters. He said they would have to trade of the first overalls that wasn’t Yakupov. The rumour that excites me the most is Henrique.

2. Tapdog says:

LT , a guy can always count on something from you, so thanks for the posts!

Second, Merry Christmas to you and all the Lowetidians out there, awesome place to read and get everyone’s thoughts without it turning into a gong show.

In closing, I am just wondering what the masses think about a Gagner/ Myers swap. Both fit some of the needs, a bit of risk on both sides too?

Still need another vet dman but I was just curious.

3. misfit says:

Well, Friedman said “first round picks”, not first overalls, but since he was talking about forwards and you’d have to go back 6 years to find a forward taken in the 1st round that’s still Oilers property (Eberle), he’s basically saying “Nuge or Hall”.

Weber is still a fantasy. I don’t care how good Jones may be, trading Weber doesn’t sound like the answer to anything that would improve the Predators.

I also don’t get how you’ve come to the conclusion that MacT is planning on moving one of the impact kids. MacTavish seems open to making moves for sure, but every time those players have come up, he’s basically shot it down.

4. David says:

My mistake he said first round picks so it could refer to Eberle.

5. Gerta Rauss says:

misfit:
    I also don’t get how you’ve come to the conclusion that MacT is planning on moving one of the impact kids.MacTavish seems open to making moves for sure, but every time those players have come up, he’s basically shot it down.

The next move will be to move one of the wonder kids and/or the 1st round pick for help on the blue and to fill other holes on the roster.

6. misfit says:

Gerta Rauss: Mac T did say that repeatedly over the summer, but with the team going 12-24-3 over the first 39 games I think the next move has come into sharper focus.

Don’t get me wrong, I could definitely see why someone like that could move, I just don’t see how that is the conclusion one would come to as a result of MacTavish’s interview today.

7. DBO says:

I wonder if the 1st and Eberle gets you a lot from Philly.

Does Eberle and the 1st
    get you
    Couturier, Coburn and Simmonds?

And flip Gagner and prospect
    for
    Gardiner

Giving us

Hall-Nuge-Yak
    Perron-Couturier-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Gordon-Simmonds
    Smyth-Lander-Arco
    Pitlick-Gazdic

Coburn-Petry
    Gardiner-Schultz
    Ference-Belov
    Klefbom

8. Logan91 says:

I don’t understand all this talk about Montreal wanting to trade Pacioretty. He’s their best player right now.

Logan91:

The talk keeps coming out of Montreal.

Its crazy given how he plays, his results and size, but it keeps coming out of Montreal.

10. Ryan says:

David,

Yakupov, hall, RNH. One of these things is not like the other.

I hate to say it, but I could see Yakupov being the next schremp or Omark with draft pedigree.

Swing and a miss and we never saw it coming.

11. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy,

Maybe they know something we don’t? Is Patches damaged goods / still injured? Smokescreen for potential Subban extension?

12. Logan91 says:

Woodguy,

Doesn’t surprise me if they are actually thinking of trading him after hearing the reports of what they were willing to give up to get Lecavalier.

13. Ryan says:

DBO,

I’ve recently started looking into some advanced stats called ‘boxcars.’

Joensu is not a 3rd line nhl player on a playoff team. He looks the part at times, but he’s so far below the Mendoza line, I wouldn’t pencil him onto the roster for next year.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just for reference:

“If a Weber package includes one of Edmonton’s recent first-round picks (not Yakupov after the Alexander Radulov experiment) and this year’s first-rounder, you can sell that. Of course, Edmonton will have 28 competitors if this scenario becomes reality.”

So, that is Smyth, Hemsky, Dubnyk, Gagner, Eberle, Hall, RNH, Klefbom, Nurse

(I’m guessing he didn’t mean Smyth, Hemsky or Dubnyk, unless packaged… he did say “recent” afterall… I included them just for fun!)

15. Gerta Rauss says:

misfit,

I haven’t listened to the presser yet(wrapping presents)

I (and others) came to that conclusion weeks ago. I don’t see any other way out of this mess. Waiting for Klef or Nurse to develop(or drafting Ekblad) is a non starter as far as I’m concerned. It is time to move current assets and fill the (obvious) holes elsewhere on the roster.

We may have to wait until the draft/summer, but the next step is clear.

16. OTO says:

Hey , I like your writing LT, pretty insightful and relevant…dig the site.
    (first comment )

I think the oilers should target guys like Garbutt , Troy brouwer, Actual men , that can handle themselves, We need to acquire guys that will make the likes of Backes , Kassian, Kessler, think twice about running around. Alot of teams play an extra aggressive still against the oilers, and its ussualy teams that arent truly the cream de le cream of the league , ie, St louis, Van, all get pretty big ego’s when they play Edm, we need guys that can counter that.

Why not send a 1st for grabutt + , he seems pretty wild and agressive, we need players that are scary to play against

17. RexLibris says:

Further to our previous conversation about Adam Henrique, I ran he, Backlund and Boyd Gordon through the Vollman Usage Charts.

Henrique comes out way ahead. Big blue bubble on the 0.7 Qual Comp and just over the line on zone starts. Backlund is next, small orange bubble with .46 Qual Comp and about 43% Ozone starts. Gordon is a tiny dark orange bubble buried deep in the defensive zone and at about .42 Qual Comp.

Henrique is a heck of a young player. He may not be Couturier, but boy if the Oilers could get him it could answer some roster questions.

18. jb says:

Ryan:
    David,

Yakupov, hall, RNH.One of these things is not like the other.

Yes, you forgot to capitalize Hall. What do I win for guessing right? Plz let go of the stupid ignorant narratives. What exactly is your point that Yak is a Russian? Inform me.

Just let the kid develop. You do realize we might get Yak on somewhat of a value contract because of this adjustment period? Would you be really be happy if he came in and scored 50 on the top line dethroning Eberle in year 1, while the team finishes 23rd still? Now we have an 8 million dollar 1st liner and a 6 million dollar 2nd liner on the RW.

I’m not saying there’s 0 chance he get’s dealt, but stop the anti russian bias BS plz.

19. jb says:

Also, really enjoyed the Advanced Stats discussion a few days ago, thanks for all the links Woodguy.

20. LMHF#1 says:

Some interesting UFA centers out there this summer depending on how things go. Might be an opportune time to sign two and trade one from the roster.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OTO:
    Hey , I like your writing LT,pretty insightful and relevant…dig the site.
    (first comment )

I think the oilers should target guys like Garbutt , Troy brouwer, Actual men , that can handle themselves, We need to acquire guys that will make the likes ofBackes , Kassian, Kessler, think twice about running around.Alot of teams play an extra aggressive still against the oilers, and its ussualy teams that arent truly the cream de le cream of the league , ie, St louis, Van, all get pretty big ego’s when they play Edm, we need guys that can counter that.

Why not send a 1st for grabutt + , he seems pretty wild and agressive,we need players that are scary to play against

Welcome!

If you are trading with Nill and sending him a 1st that is probably in the top 5 it better be something like Benn coming back.

The price on a player like Garbutt is probably a 3rd rounder or a modest prospect.

Don’t overpay for truculence. These players types (Clutterbuck for example) are best bought with only cash on the free agent market.

And Garbutt will be a free agent this offseason.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LMHF#1:

indeed. hard to know who makes it to the free agent market.

LT mentioned Stajan earlier. I wonder if Stastny has a realistic chance of hitting the market?

They have so many young Cs in COL that they might want to send him away… the cost at the deadline is probably fairly high… but if he slips through to free agency… hmm…

Winnik and Kulemin ought to be priorities… and if Gagner is moved, then Grabo.

jb:

You’re welcome.

Eric Thulsty is one of the best. Read his stuff and every thing he links to.

Changed the way I viewed the game.

It really is a different game to watch now.

24. bookje says:

Being an Oiler fan is like being a manic depressant.

Being an Ouler fan who understands advanced stats is like being a psychologist with manic-depression.

You have a better understanding of what’s happening but it doesn’t make you feel any better.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope Santa brought you something nice.

26. OTO says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks, I’d send em’ a 1st + whoever they wanted not named Hall for Benn! (as long as he’d resign in Edm) lol Benns awsome. if the Oilers could sign Garbutt as a free agent that would help. Be surprised if Dallas didn’t resign him though. Jordan Nolan is another type i’d go after.

27. sliderule says:

You know sometimes the things Mact say don’t make a lot of sense.

This draft is not as deep as last year.Who cares the top five were we will pick are arguably as good.

If last years draft was so deep why did we trade away our high second pick.

As we don’t have a second round pick all he has to do is get it right on the first pick. The flyers or sabres might even offer up Coburn or Ehrhoff for that pick.He might even get a little more than that.Those top draft picks look awfull good to teams trying to excite he fan base .at the draft.

28. DeadmanWaking says:

Woodguy: Eric Thulsty is one of the best. Read his stuff and every thing he links to.

The only “Eric Thulsty” known to Google is a figment of Lowetide banter. Even with plausible spelling changes. Do you mean Eric T.?

This morning I’m brewing up some Blue Mountain. Joe Jo Jo everyone, as the Spaniards would have said if Henry Morgan hadn’t got a toe hold before the world discovered the small beans from the high crags.

Interview with Gordon Langford, RSW Estates, Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

29. John Chambers says:

Pacioretty is on a wonderful contract. Any Yak for Pacioretty trade is a win in that we get a $4.5M possession driver with sandpaper for 5.5 more years.

Also Gagner for Gardiner, and Grabovski, MacDonald and Winnik as FA’s. Next year starts with:

Hall – RNH – Perron
    Pacioretty – Grabbo – Eberle
    Winnik – Gordon – Lander
    Joensuu – Arcobello – Pitlick

MacDonald – Petry
    Ference – Gardiner
    Schultz – Belov

30. gr8one says:

I may be a bit biased because I’ve always loved Spezza and can’t help but wonder if Ottawa’s financial woes and the emergence of Turris as a force might make Spezza an option at the cost of Gagner +?

I think Nuge is an eventual 1C but think he’s a year year or two away from being a bona fide one.

I HATE HATE HATE the idea of losing Yak but if Pacioretty were the return it would sting a little less, and while we’re talking about Montreal, Markov(as a UFA signing in the off season) might be able to do wonders for stabilizing our D, what a perfect mentor for Jultz & Co. for the next 1-2 seasons while our prospects develop.

Ad in some best case scenario UFA signings like Winnik, Ott, Morrow, and maybe a mean D man Like Matt Greene and next years roster looks mighty fine. I’d also take a long look at getting Harski back to North America since he seems to have found his offence and confidence in Russia.

Hall Spezza Perron
    Pacioretty Nuge Eberle
    Winnik Gordon Hemsky
    Morrow Ott Harski

Markov Petry
    Jultz Belov
    Ference Greene

I also have a feeling that one of Halak or Hiller end up being our goalie next year.

DeadmanWaking: The only “Eric Thulsty” known to Google is a figment of Lowetide banter.Even with plausible spelling changes.Do you mean Eric T.?

This morning I’m brewing up some Blue Mountain.Joe Jo Jo everyone, as the Spaniards would have said if Henry Morgan hadn’t got a toe hold before the world discovered the small beans from the high crags.

Interview with Gordon Langford, RSW Estates, Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

That’s the guy.

I’m probably spelling his name wrong.

He’s @BSH_EricT on twitter and writes mostly for http://www.broadstreethockey.com/ but has some very good stuff up at nhlnumbers like you linked to.

32. John Chambers says:

gr8one,

I like your team, but it costs about $85M to ice it.

33. jp says:

John Chambers:

Hall – RNH – Perron
    Pacioretty – Grabbo – Eberle
    Winnik – Gordon – Lander
    Joensuu – Arcobello – Pitlick

MacDonald – Petry
    Ference – Gardiner
    Schultz – Belov

This is Andrew MacDonald from the Islanders? Do you think he’s a real top pairing D? I know he’s playing top pairing on Long Island, but I wonder if he should be. Massive value contract for the Islanders regardless though – 550,000 to 575,000 per year on a 4 year deal – he’s playing over 26 min a night this year, and played over 23 the other 3 years.

He’s played top pairing competition with slightly difficult zone starts (45-50% OZone), but his Corsi hasn’t been good (his best CorsiON over 4 years was -6.6, and his CorsiRel was only above 0 in 2010-11). Looks like his teammates mostly do better without him too (though this could partly be easier QoC). He certainly looks like a solid player who’s at least top 4 on a good team, and he could potentially be had for a relative bargain. I’m not sure how much better he is than Petry or Ference though, and he certainly doesn’t look like “the answer” to the search for a #1D. Could be a nice target to add to the defense by committee group on the back end though.

34. John Chambers says:

jp,

I’m not sure the Oilers can be too picky. If it were up to me, and if it were somehow possible, I would target Andrei Markov as the top-minute option with the thinking he’s got 2-3 years of solid play in him. If it cost $24M over 4 years I would go for it.

Short of that Dan Girardi will make $5.5 or $6M, so Macadonald might be had for $5M or so. With the cap going up obtaining a Dman in the calibre (or slightly better) of Petry is a necessary addition.

One UFA defenseman and a trade for an Ehrhoff or Brian Campbell solves a lot of problems.

35. wintoon says:

Please do not even think of acquiring Markov. One of the Oilers major problems is that they are lousy defensively. While Markov may be a decent offensive D Man, he is not a quality defensive D man and has not been for years. Do not forget he is playing alongside the current Norris Trophy D man which may bolster his stats.
    As for potential acquisitions, Couturier would rank very high on my Christmas list . As for possibles, would Colorado consider trading O’Rielly? Last year he had them over a barrel and they probably aren’t too pleased. Would they move him for the right price? Do we have the assets to get him?