From the beginning, nothing rhymed. Drafted in 2007 (4th round), Omark was already 20-years old and should have come over that fall, or the one after, or the one after that one. He did not, so that by the time Linus the Pinus arrived on our shores he was in competition with a few other rookies (Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi among them) for playing time.
Once he arrived, Omark had a cracking NHL debut, scoring well in shot differential and 5×5/60. That was his NHL career highlight, and at 26 (27 in February) he was a man in need of an expansion draft.
For me, I wish him the best. Omark’s competition for playing time in Edmonton (Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, now Yakupov and others) was always superior, but that doesn’t mean he can’t find a spark and catch fire in another town. He needed an expansion draft, the Hockey Gods gave him Buffalo. Sail on, gifted one, I enjoyed your magic.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
Should be a lively show today. TSN1260, 10 this morning. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Talking Leafs panic, which may involve Jake Gardiner being dealt.
- Andrew Bucholtz, 55 yard line. A long look at the expansion draft, and then Eskimos signings this week.
- Connor Halley and I make our NFL picks, we’re tied at 6-6-1 so far (excitement building)!
- Ryan Batty, Copper and Blue. We’ll discuss the Edmonton Oilers, a team in the National Hockey League.
- Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton. We’ll talk signings and 2014 schedule.
- Jungle Jim Hunter. We’ll discuss the Edmonton Oilers, a team in the National Hockey League.
10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’s going to be a fun show! Honest!