YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME

I’ve been a fan of Ales Hemsky since he got here, he is a stunning talent and wildly entertaining. I’ve known for a long time that Hemsky’s detractors outnumber his fans, which has been baffling but the Oilers fan heart wants what it wants and that’s true of all of us. For several years now, I have been convinced it was only a matter of time before 83 left us via trade, a deadline deal that would return a 6.04, 225 left wing from Podunk University who was waivering between hockey and forest fire lookout (yes, that’s a job).

And then along comes Dallas Eakins.

• Eakins on Hemsky being a guy with a reputation of being fragile: “I think that’s a bunch of crap. That guy goes to the net, he’s been fully engaged in what we want to do defensively, this guy goes to where you are going to get hurt. This guy is a tough hockey player, and a guy I value highly.”

I can’t tell you why Ales Hemsky is a  favorite of mine beyond saying watch him and then you’ll know. I believe in my heart that Hemsky was saved only by Kevin Lowe last time around, that he would have been sent out of town without Lowe’s presence in the front office. Things happen for a reason, and a new day has dawned in Edmonton—and part of the fresh start is a coach who sees the good in Ales Hemsky.

Music!

84 Responses to "YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME"

1. OilLeak says:

If the OIlers trade Hemsky for a bag of pucks, I would lose it, flat out lose it. Can’t understand why anyone would send out one of the few complete NHLers on the team. The Oilers need more Hemsky’s not less.

2. Andy P says:

If it were ever found to be true that Lowe blocked some of Tambo’s trades, and if blocking the Hemsky trade is one of them, then he just earned another few months of grace from me.

Can you imagine how much worse this team would have been if Tambo had more of a free hand to trade away the talented core?

I’m not fan of the 2014 DD and I think Yak does have a ton of potential, but….. I would still keep Ebs and Hemmers over Yak by a country mile. Although I’d prefer to keep all 3 if possible.

3. cabbiesmacker says:

Andy P:

That’s one way to look at it. The other is that despite Queen Gertrude Lowe’s protestations to the contrary, he had his dirty little fingers, THE 6 RINGBEARERS I would presume, all over every deal Tambo made or tried to make.

Does he still? I think not to the same degree because afterall, you have to give more rope to an Oiler alumni due to their hockey “stellarness”, but to believe he’s completely hands off would be folly.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been part of Team Hemsky forever. He’s one of those players that you welcome into your personal home for hockey heroes and cheer for wherever they end up.

One of the interesting usage items with Eakins is that while he has shown incredible readiness to move players around and fiddle with his lines, you always get the sense that Hemsky, Perron and Gordon aren’t being moved in order to “get them going,” “send a message,” or “find shelter for the player”…

Those 3 (and to a lesser extent Smyth) assume the “workhorse”/”jack-of-all-trades” vet role on the team for Eakins. You get the sense he doesn’t worry about where to slot them nearly as much as say Gagner, Yak or even Hall and Eberle (perhaps that’s too obvious an observation).

I think as MacT starts to think about what vets to bring in and aid this young team… Him and Eakins might well decide Hemsky is part of the answer. Obviously many more are needed… but this year the coach is noting the value and that value is probably increasing as we all continue to note the lack of vets on this team.

———
    Part of the anti-Hemsky thing that has always driven me crazy is the complete dis-interest the old media types have in countering narratives.

I mean I get that repeating old saws is the easiest thing to do, it satiates a willing reader base, etc. But writing counter-intuitive broadsides like “Hemsky is tough as nails” (counter-intuitive to the braying crowd at least) is also pretty damn easy and is equally sure to get traction with readers (irate to be sure).

5. Clay says:

Amen. Hemsky takes a pounding and just keeps coming back for more. The knuckleheads that don’t like him will truly miss him when he’s gone.

6. D says:

Wouldn’t bother me one bit if Hemsky retired as (only) an Oiler.

7. PeOiler says:

The title here spurned me to listen to the song for the first time in ages. Actually forgot it existed. Great song. Not the Randy Newman one though.

The Zutons – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d0I7zA98eA

8. justDOit says:

“I think if you want to play with the puck, you will get hit – you know, it’s just common sense.”

Yeah… he’s got a bad attitude alright.

9. RBB says:

Just made an account because I saw a pure lowetide post with out responses.
    long time reader yadayada…

I have never been compelled to post before because I’ve always thought that the comments section was well patrolled by realist thinkers who understood the scope of the re-build.
    However, those voices seem to have become reticent nowadays, or those thinkers have fallen pray to an idealism, or belief, that stipulates we “Serpentine” toward victory, if not this season, then next.
    (http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/465903/In-Laws-The-Movie-Clip-Serpentine-.html)
    I’m saying that you don’t throw away assets like Hemsky.
    I’m saying you DO NOT TRADE A FIRST ROUND PICK IN A REBUILD.
    I’m saying that you don’t adopt a draft strategy of Best Player Available (BPA) simply to serve the short term interest, rather you implement the strategy throughout your organization (head coaches included) and over the long term. Perhaps this is the one mistake made by our gracious host: the blog should be called LongLoweTide.

Recent trend: discussing the blueline

People will admonish me for saying this, but what is more expensive?
    A #1 D or Ekblad???
    Because there have been countless comments being posted about the cost of that #1D and always has our precious pick in the mix. I know lots of games are left to be played, and we could move heaven and earth to achieve more in the short term, but what is in the long term interest(10 yrs) of this club? what is in the mid-term interest (5 yrs) of the club? Taylor Hall may be the best of the cluster, but the cluster is of more value than Hall. Grow the capabilities within the cluster. Don’t trade the cluster for capabilities.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PeOiler:
    The title here spurned me to listen to the song for the first time in ages. Actually forgot it existed.Great song.Not the Randy Newman one though.

And, here I thought LT simply fudged the title!

I was thinking of this tune:
    this is my favorite version:

this one is good too (takes a while to get ripping):

Clearly, though, LT meant this tune:

song titles are jerks.

All the songs mentioned are terrific, and I did mean the toy story song for the title. The best version for me of You’ve got a friend is by the songwriter. The violin is beautiful.

12. Thiru says:

One of the single best pleasures of watching the Oilers the last 15 years has been Hemsky’s development, from draft day to a rookie to a leader on the 06/07 team, and finally a (now) gristled vet.

I always thought he could be more — 99 thought so as well — but what he is still pretty special.

It’s awesome that Eakins agrees!

13. Pouzar says:

Yak for Seth Jones?

14. Old School G says:

Hemsky has driven me absolutely nuts since day one, but you know what? I love the guy. We do not understand each other at all yet I would still consider him one of my more favorite Oilers.

You’re a misunderstood poet to me Ales, you confuse me greatly but you are a courageous hockey player, an incredible, mind blowing talent, and over time I have come to greatly respect your game.

15. flyfish1168 says:

How did Potter get 2 games and Nash didn’t get even a hearing. Its ok to skate 30 feet and board someone from behind but using a stick to give someone a hard push into the boards is worth a penalty plus 2 games. Mixed messages by the NHL.

16. Captain Smarmy says:

Is there a fanbase that needs comfort and happiness from press conferences as much as the Oilers fanbase?

17. justDOit says:

Pouzar:
    Yak for Seth Jones?

18. Pouzar says:

Captain Smarmy:

Not me. F6ckin hate all the talk that revolves around sports. Bores me to tears hearing hockey players/coaches talk.

19. leadfarmer says:

justDOit,

Maybe at last year’s draft. Right now. No way Nashville does that.

20. Pouzar says:

justDOit: All we need to do, is to somehow have Poille contract bovne spongiform encephalopathy, and it’s a done deal.

Fine. We’ll throw in Ryan Jones as well to make up for their past mistake!

21. Old School G says:

When is Columbus going to make a move?

22. leadfarmer says:

The sad thing about this season is likely yet to come. If you look at the schedule their last 10 games of the season this team could potentially loose them all, with the only team they have a chance to beat being NYR, and VAN on the last day of the regular season when they rest their team.

They play: SJ, ANA, NYR, SJ, ANA, Pho, ANA, LAK, COL, VAN

23. leadfarmer says:

Old School G,

Would be nice if we could pry Dubinsky to fill that 2nd line center slot.

24. linkfromhyrule says:

read an article by staples about nurse getting booed by the Soo fans..

This is the first I’ve heard of Nurse struggling, as everything else I’ve heard about nurse thus far has been extremely positive. Does anyone have more info on this? His boxcars are good too so I’m not sure where this is coming from.

25. leadfarmer says:

Does anyone know what the oilers and NHL record for worst +/- are in a season. Just wondering cause I see Yak is on pace for -55.

26. Old School G says:

leadfarmer:
    Old School G,

Would be nice if we could pry Dubinsky to fill that 2nd line center slot.

You’re telling me! They have a pretty interesting roster, lots of good player packages could be thrown together with both teams walking away pretty happy. Wisniewski, Johnson, Dubinsky, Foligno, Jenner, hmmm.

Bill Mikkelson was -82 in 1974-75 for Washington, I don’t know if anyone beat him. I seem to recall a Senator came close or passed him in their first year.

Matty has a post up that is basically a distillation of the avail we all watched:

Sounds like Matty has turned over a new leaf in terms of how he talks about Hemsky.

29. jp says:

linkfromhyrule:
    read an article by staples about nurse getting booed by the Soo fans..

Well that’s a unfortunate and a little disturbing. He played so well in TC, but this makes a little more sense of the WJr snub despite the nice looking boxcars. Let’s hope either the Soo fans are completely off their rocker, or that he sorts out whatever issues are there. He’s clearly got a pretty high ceiling.

linkfromhyrule:
    read an article by staples about nurse getting booed by the Soo fans..

This is a tweet from Sheldon O’Keefe:

Sheldon Keefe ‏@SheldonKeefe 5h
    I’ve attended every game this season. Contrary to what I’m reading, I’ve never heard a negative word about Darnell Nurse. Much less boos.

He’s the Head Coach of the Soo Greyhounds.

Sheldon Keefe ‏@SheldonKeefe 5h

Everyone calm down.

32. bendelson says:

To do it in 59 games… Impressive.
    Of course, Ron Low was in the nets 58 times that year – which likely didn’t help.
    And he was the solid one, Belhumeur and Adams were 0 – 31.

bendelson:

To do it in 59 games… Impressive.
    And he was the solid one, Belhumeur and Adams were 0 – 31.

I followed them closely that year, because they were even more horrible than my California Golden Seals. IT was a train wreck.

34. bendelson says:

If one stares at the 74/75 Caps team stats long enough and completely ignores context, the Oilers are looking solid.

35. Tarkus says:

leadfarmer:
    Does anyone know what the oilers and NHL record for worst +/- are in a season.Just wondering cause I see Yak is on pace for -55.

[puts on nerd glasses]

Actually, Yakupov’s current +/- of -22 projects to…-22. That’s because plus/minus, like temperature*, does not use a zero-base, since both positive and negative values are possible.

If Yak repeats (doubles) his current stat line of

GP G AST PTS SOG +/-
    33 5 7 12 67 -22

He will have:

66 10 14 24 134 -22

* Unless you use the Kelvin scale, which does employ a zero-base, i.e., absolute zero.

36. Thinker says:

Oiler fans have a tendency to hate players for no reason. Gilbert was ripped on for not hitting, despite being our best dman. Hemsky is soft even though he used to get rocked by regrehr twenty times a year. Penner got it the worst. He uses his size to make space for himself and his teamates. His underlying stats were fantastic. Yet we ran him out of town because he wasn’t a plug like stortini. For some reason we label players for no apparent reason. Sometime I wonder if everone is watching the same game. Penner and gilbert would look great on this team.

37. jp says:

I really like Hemsky as a player (I’m not quite as enamored with him as some around here, but I definitely respect his ability and quiet commitment). It’s great to hear that Eakins values what he brings too. After all the talk over the last number of years about him being on the way out the door for next to nothing, it’s nice to hear that he might be part of the future.

Hemsky is a veteran presence on a team full of young guys, but the reason I’m happiest about the possibility of Hemsky being re-signed is the options it creates for the Oilers. With Hemsky, the team CAN trade one of Eberle/Yakupov for a real 1D if the right deal for the right player is available. I’m not suggesting trading one of those guys for pending UFA Phaneuf, but for a Seth Jones (as per Pouzar above), Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL – a young, truly impact D – it would make a whole lot of sense. The Oilers were never going to get fair value for Hemsky in a trade, but it would have been a huge waste of an asset if they traded him for a 2nd or let him walk as a UFA.

2 of Eberle/Hemsky/Yakupov makes a very nice top 6. If the 3rd can bring a true #1 D (age 28 or less) I don’t see how you can pass that up in the name of balancing out the team. Even if they keep all 3 guys at RW, it’s a good move for the team, but the real opportunity here is to use a top forward to hopefully get a top D.

I like Hemsky a lot.

If there was one thing I’d change about him is that he’d glide a bit more at the blue line.

Never seen anyone be 1/2 step offside more than 83.

Drives me crazy.

Tarkus: [puts on nerd glasses]

Actually, Yakupov’s current +/- of -22 projects to…-22.That’s because plus/minus, like temperature*, does not use a zero-base, since both positive and negative values are possible.

If Yak repeats (doubles) his current stat line of

GPGASTPTSSOG +/-
    33 5 7 1267 -22

He will have:

6610 14 24 134 -22

40. bookje says:

Tarkus: [puts on nerd glasses]

If Yak repeats (doubles) his current stat line of

GPGASTPTSSOG +/-
    33 5 7 1267 -22

He will have:

6610 14 24 134 -22

Math called. It suggested you have another look at this.

41. justDOit says:

Sheldon Keefe ‏@SheldonKeefe 5h

Everyone calm down.

This makes much more sense. I couldn’t understand junior hockey fans upset with a talent like that patrolling their ice. Spoiled NHL fans sure, but not CHL.

Too bad that it’s been overblown though. I was already chuckling to myself about how he’ll get run out of town before his first season – a new prospect record.

So we’ll just stick to throwing current Oilers under the bus than, shall we?

My submissions for new derog names:

1) Peachtree

2) Yankopov

42. jp says:

bookje: Math called.It suggested you have another look at this.

I’ll second that.

43. Bulging Twine says:

Hemsky: I think he is good when he has the puck.

44. Tarkus says:

[cleans nerd glasses]

Ah. Now I see.

[books eye appointment]

45. Brackenburied says:

Lowetide: you know, I know this but it’s good to be reminded Thanks nerd! (I assume EVERYONE who posts here has some nerd tendencies).

Snorts! Milk comes out nose.

46. bassguy says:

Hi Lowetide…I cant remember which game it was but if hemsky had been able to lift the puck after an amazing seen of dangling, dancing around a few(bruins perhaps?) etc that would have been the highlight of a decade..I was sitting with my son watching the game on tv and we both came out of our seats at home and yelled in unison!..if any one can remember which game that was and perhaps get the link that would be fantastic because it didnt end up in any hi lites I could find?
    On another note, when I was in grade seven I learned all of Leland Sklar’s(or most of them)bass playing on Tapestry…some of the greatest bass lines and playing of all time is on “You’ve got a Friend”

47. bassguy says:

by the way, if you have not seen any of the Gershwin Prize awarded to Carole KIng (from the White House) you have to check it out (on youtube?)..Gloria Estefans rendition of “too late baby” is stunning and i believe thats her old drummer(carole kings)(and james t of course) Russ Kunkel and Bonnie Raitts bass player Hutch Hutchinson

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On the Nurse thing… for those curious, the last thread tried to ferret it out… I went through some recent post-game reports out of SSM and found one game write-up that had him “struggling” and another that discussed his much improved shot:

The tweet from his coach seems to cast a lot of doubt on the report.

I’m guessing the writer is blowing something isolated out of proportion.

———
    Did anyone else just watch Dallas unravel in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd?! yikes!

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bassguy: Hutch Hutchinson

I just want to glory in this magical name!

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

That’s pretty far from calling Hemsky the following:

“petulant” “wishy-washy” “too comfortable” a “follower” and saying his “body language is off.”

51. bassguy says:

Thanks Rom!..her long time bass player before Hutch was a guy named Freebo!

52. SoCaloil says:

When is hemsky back?

53. mumbai max says:

Very sadly, like the lighthouse keeper, the forest fire lookout is a thing of the past. There may be a few surviviors, but the industry has generally replaced them with helicopters and satellites. I had a brother and frIends who did this job. The perfect task for a solitude seeking introvert with some books to read or a navel full of mysteries to extract. Like Ales Hemsky many things ARE only appreciated when gone. I endorse a 3 x 3.25 extension for Ales. At the same time I endorse moving Gagner. The wing or another club, but now is the time for a change of club dynamics, and time for a different look at 2C. I am very happy with Nuge, Gordon and Arco at 1, 3 and 4. Time to fix 2. 1D and2C upgrades would make a big difference. Gagner, prospects and the 2014 first round pick should bring back quite a lot. For the right deal Ebs or Jultz go. Not the rest. Happy to wait for free agency too. Better to overpay with available cap and cash than with the existing 1st’s. Tuning out a bit for the rest of the season. Too difficult to be fan everyday this year.

54. bassguy says:

it should have read….Gloria Estefans rendition of “too late baby” is stunning, and the song is ok too!

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

SoCaloil:
    When is hemsky back?

sounds like tomorrow based on what him and Eakins are saying today.

56. Pouzar says:

Why the bleep does everyone in OilersForumsSphere want to trade Jordan Eberle? I don’t get it. We finally get a kid that has a chance to score 70 pts for the 2nd time but yet we wax poetically about the last guy to do it and want to sign him to an extension. Not that I mind the latter but throw the former a bone.

Get talent, keep talent.

57. stevezie says:

Ignoring the thread and commenting on the article: ThankGodThankGodThankGod. The title had me worried, the content had me glowing.

I am too buzzed to say more.
    Except for this: Eakins and I seem to see eye to eye on a lot. In some ways this is scary, because if he fails, it’s like I failed.

58. mumbai max says:

Pouzar:
    Why the bleep does everyone in OilersForumsSphere want to trade Jordan Eberle? I don’t get it. We finally get a kid that has a chance to score 70 pts for the 2nd time but yetwe wax poetically about the last guy to do it and want to sign him to an extension. Not that I mind the latter but throw the former a bone.

Get talent, keep talent.

59. Thinker says:

Noticed Toby Peterson is a ufa this summer. PP help anyone?

60. Dipstick says:

Bulging Twine:
    Hemsky:I think he is good when he has the puck.

Hemsky leads the team in take-aways. He is good.

61. spoiler says:

Who knows what kind of career Hemmer would have had if he had been playing alongside a Kopitar, Toews or Stamkos? Or if he had had better injury luck?

62. VanOil says:

Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL

Goes Benny Hill at the ticket window

Warring the Yakety Sax may remind you of the Oilers defensive strategy,

63. Gret99zky says:

Andy P:

Let’s see? Worse than 30/30/29/24?

Nope. Can’t imagine.

;)

64. bassguy says:

my bad!!..as they say..the bass playing in James taylors version is the one Im talking about with Le Sklar…thats my favorite version by far..it garnered JT’s first number one hit and opened all the doors for him!

65. Bruce McCurdy says:

I had James Taylor’s version of You’ve Got a Friend on a 45 rpm single. 4 minutes 29 seconds of feelgood.

66. bassguy says:

with Joni singing bg’s

67. Hammers says:

spoiler:
    Who knows what kind of career Hemmer would have had if he had been playing alongside a Kopitar, Toews orStamkos?Or if he had had better injury luck?

Or if he had a decent team with toughness especilly since 06 . That guy took more hits than most Oilers because he was our best player . Here is the problem We cant have Ebs & Yak at $6 mil & Hemsky at $5 = $ 17 mil for RW. I wish he would give McT a discount of say 3 years for $10 mil . We wait but what sounds good is Eakins likes him . If his good to go Tuesday put him with Gordon & Smyth .WE NEED “D” so someone has to go. Personally i keep Hemmer but will McT.

68. Henry says:

RBB:
    Just made an account because I saw a pure lowetide post with out responses.
    long time reader yadayada…

I’m saying that you don’t throw away assets like Hemsky.
    I’m saying you DO NOT TRADE A FIRST ROUND PICK IN A REBUILD.

Recent trend: discussing the blueline

People will admonish me for saying this, but what is more expensive?
    A #1 D or Ekblad???

If the blog was called LongLowetide, my wife would accuse me of watching porn on the internet.

69. Henry says:

flyfish1168:

They dont want to contribute nash’s huge stipend to the player’s fund?

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

mumbai max: Very sadly, like the lighthouse keeper, the forest fire lookout is a thing of the past. There may be a few surviviors, but the industry has generally replaced them with helicopters and satellites. I had a brother and frIends who did this job. The perfect task for a solitude seeking introvert with some books to read or a navel full of mysteries to extract.

I used to go to the Mount Kobau Star Party every summer, near Osoyoos. Great observing site (at least before the lights in the valley got a bit out of hand), and very remote. Shitty road up, took 45 minutes to drive 20 km & if you went any faster the shale would cut your tires to ribbons. No facilities; take your water up, and your garbage down. Head down to the Husky at Osoyoos round about Wednesday for a shower. Anyway, a couple of kilometres further up the ridge was the lookout station. A square building, one room, windows on all four sides, and nary a curtain on any of them. A bunch of us used to make the walk up there once during the star party, and visit the lookout. Talk about a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get. Different guy every year, usually were real happy to see us though one dude was a real loner. Was a great job for the right person. Bring up a few weeks worth of groceries at a time and spend the summer looking down from the top of the world, with the only contact being by radio. One guy was a writer, another a photographer, another a naturalist, and a couple of them used the binoculars and spotting scopes provided for their day jobs to do what we were up there for and look at the pristine night sky.

I always thought it would be a wonderful job, but only ever got to experience for an hour or two at a time, once a year. It’s now been a few years since I’ve been to Kobau, but apparently that old lookout is shuttered up for good. It’s quite sad, actually.

71. jp says:

Pouzar:

Get talent, keep talent.

mumbai max: I do not WANT to trade him. Speaking for myself, not for the entire oilogosphere I would prefer to trade him over trading Hall, Nuge or Yak. Being realistic, something has to give. In my opinion he is the best option, if not a desirable one.

Exactly.

Having Eberle/Hemsky/Yakupov is a huge luxury. But would you rather have Eberle/Hemsky/Yakupov on RW and Petry-Ference as your 1st pairing, or Hemsky/Yakupov with Doughty-Petry on the back end? It’s all about asset management – the Oilers have 3 guys capable of playing top 6 RW. Hemsky is not going to bring back a #1 D by trade, but Eberle or Yakupov could. If MacT can find a deal for a young impact defender in exchange for Eberle (or Yakupov), I’d be sad to see them go, but it would be an overall plus for the team. I honestly hope that Eberle is here for the long haul, but like M Max says, something does have to give. The Oilers aren’t going to get a #1 D and #1 G for just money – maybe 1, but not both.

72. Ribs says:

Long Live Hemsky!

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:
    Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL

Goes Benny Hill at the ticket window

Warring the Yakety Sax may remind you of the Oilers defensive strategy,

The best part is the nonplussed reaction shots from the decidedly older ticket buyers.

74. bassguy says:

Bruce McCurdy,

ya..the 45 brings memories as i bought alot of them as well….when my sons can not believe that Neil Diamond was part of the last waltz…they think he is so not cool, and in some ways I know what they mean..but he is a Jewish guy that lived in the bronx…he has amazing tunes ..cherry cherry, my fav is sweet caroline…he was not just a throw in for the band..I think robbie insisted on this..his life was not easy at all…my fav 45 is build me up buttercup

75. Colieo87 says:

Hey Lowe tide,

Love your articles keeps me sain in this Holy trinity mess the organization is in. I was just recently on cap geek and they updated the site to the new 71 million cap for next season. As I was checking the oiler roster what do you think of Mark Arcobello’s RFA. What do you think his pay raise will look like around? It’s funny when your compaire his elc to young guns. Poor guy got shafted. Will you expect it would be near what Ryan Smith is making? And how long of a contract you fiqure?

76. gcw_rocks says:

It comes down to money. If MacT is not going to move Yakupov and Eberle, then the team should not pay more than $2.5 to $3.0M for Hemsky. Would he sign for that?

77. delooper says:

Something has changed! Tony Robbins and GM truck ads for me on LT’s site. And I’m back in Canada.

78. Ribs says:

delooper,

Does that mean you’ve finally found your Filipino soulmate? Congratulations! lol

79. delooper says:

Ribs:
    delooper,

No, I’m totally lacking in Philipinos. But my girlfriend is probably pretty happy about that.

80. Ribs says:

delooper,

I bet! And she’ll be even happier about your newfound self confidence and the shiny truck you’re getting her for Christmas!

81. admiralmark says:

The only reason Hemsky is still here is:
    a) He is injured around trade deadline
    b) His Contract has been a detractor for other GM’s
    c) Other GM’s in the league DO NOT highly value this player.

I am quite certain all MacT is asking for is a player or draft pick of “decent” value. BUT he can’t even get that from one single GM in the league. What does this tell you? It tells me he isn’t valued highly around the league. He is over valued by yourself and others around here. Gagner is the next player to go in this category… Overrated only by a select Oiler fan base.

82. Ben says:

Wow – exactly 83 comments! Amazing!

83. coolwasabi says:

Hemsky would look good on a team like the Blues wouldn’t he?

Don’t get me wrong, he was my favourite Oiler before Hall arrived and I’m still a big fan, but I want to see him play meaningful games (and possibly win!) and prove the naysayers wrong. Sad to say, but the Oilers don’t deserve him.