BLUES AT OILERS, G46 13-14

In a season that’s seen a lot of misery for the Oilers, it would be such a nice moment for Taylor Hall to be named to the Olympic team. I don’t think he gets it, but will cheer like hell for #4. If he doesn’t make it, my hope is that Hall takes it out on other NHL teams, and I think he might.

sandersonThe St. Louis Blues weren’t my favorite team as a kid, but I followed them closely and the team was always about hockey. Oakland was about money, Minnesota was about trading draft picks to Montreal, Pittsburgh was about old men with Dad haircuts, Los Angeles was about gold uniforms, and Philadelphia was about Bobby Clarke and Bernie Parent along with all those Bullies.

St. Louis was about bullies too, and goals, and making the playoffs and trying to win. Most seasons of my childhood the St. Louis Blues made the playoffs, which meant the Hockey News had weekly coverage all through spring, and their stats were updated for playoff scoring. A lot of the magazines would have articles like “The Plagers Fighting St. Louis into Respectability” and “Red Berenson Keeps Blues In Contention” so the general idea I got of the Blues was positive.

They’ve never won. That’s incredible. Seriously. From the time I pulled my Danny O’Shea hockey card from the bubblegum package in the Allan Store parking lot until this very day, someone has had a light on in St. Louis trying to win Stanley.

Train in Vain.

I could tell you stories forever about St. Louis Blues of my youth, but the truth is the men who lived it told it well way back then, for those listening and with access. It was a different world, I won’t say better because it isn’t true, but it was a different world back then.

TRAVIS YOST, CORSI CLOSE %, AFTER GAME 21

CORSI CLOSE AFTER GAME 21 WESTERNIt’s only a matter of time, apparently. Flames won last night, though.

FRIEDMAN’S SPECIFICS ON GAGNER

• 5. Sam Gagner: He was not eligible for a no-trade clause when he signed his three-year extension last summer (It kicks-in next season). Craig MacTavish graciously promised to honour it this season, but as Edmonton searches for answers, it sounds like both sides believe it is time for a change, not that anyone is commenting. Should a deal happen, no doubt MacTavish will try to make it a soft landing.

Friedman’s 30 is here.

lavoie gagner

Lavoie’s quote on the Penguins looking for a winger to replace Lavoie might dovetail nicely with Gagner. Dupuis has played 400 EV minutes with Crosby and Kunitz this season and isn’t bringing the boxcars (39, 7-13-20) is about what Gagner’s been doing without Crosby (32, 5-11-16). In the interests of not being a dink, this idea is lifted from this man (duh duh duh dun DUN!)

willis rade

MARINCIN TO THE OLYMPICS

marincin

Martin Marincin will be playing for Slovakia at the Olympics in Sochi. In a breakthrough season it’s just one more good arrow for the long, lean defender. The youngster still needs to add some weight, but he’s showing well and this is another indication that things are coming together for him. We don’t count prospects as graduated around here until game 50, so Marincin won’t graduate before the end of this season. However, he’s 48.4% Corsi For % in about 100 5×5 minutes and looks like he’s settling in. A good chapter from a nightmare season.

BARONS LAST 5 GAMES

hamilton1

Sometimes prospects take off in the middle of the season, owing to opportunities and overhead lightbulbs turning on. I’ll be speaking to Neal Livingston from Tend The Farm today and he’s going to have a lot to say. Consider the last 5 games and who’s zooming who:

1. Curtis Hamilton 5, 5-1-6 even
  2. Martin Gernat 5, 2-2-4 +2
  3. Tyler Pitlick 5, 0-3-3 +1
  4. Taylor Fedun 3, 1-2-3 +5
  5. Andrew Miller 5, 0-2-2 -1
  6. Ryan Martindale 5, 0-2-2 -2
  7. Roman Horak 2, 1-1-2 +2
  8. Anton Lander 1, 1-1-2 +3

This is just the prospect group, I haven’t included any AHL veterans. Look at this! Incredible. We were told in summer that MacT was changing the thrust of the minor league team from results (wins over losses) to development (prospect at-bats) and it looks like these young men are enjoying the opportunity. Music! Wonderful news.

BUFF

Gary Lawless wants Dustin Byfuglien out of Winnipeg on a fast train. Article is here, Willis wrote all the words here (Jesus Murphy, Willis! Sleep in!) and of course he’d be one helluva addition to the Oilers. Just one item, though: remember when we talked about Bill James stats analysis exposing certain players (Jesus Alou) while also revealing true value where it was warranted (Cliff Johnson, Darrell Evans)? Buff is Darrell Evans here.

THE DRAFT

Terry Jones has an article up with quotes from MacT about the WJ’s and the value of a high draft pick. The money quote is this:

• MacT: “Certainly we’ll be in a position of listening, but when you are drafting that high, it’s tough to pass on skill and youth like that. We’re certainly scouting like we’re going to be picking.”

The article is here. I don’t think we should read too much into it, MacTavish is just using sound reasoning. If they trade the pick now, thinking it’s #3, and it turns out to be #1 overall then that’s a problem. Also, getting value is his #1 job—remember, MacT has made exactly zero #1 draft picks in his time as Oiler GM—so drafting bpa (I would go with Reinhart) is probably going to be the result.

If someone wants that pick, make them pay. No sense tipping your hand until someone overwhelms you.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

blunt33

Today’s show will be fluid, so we’ll have at least one surprise guest maybe more (the Canada Olympic team announcement will dominate). Scheduled to appear beginning at 10 on TSN 1260:

• Dave Jamieson, TSN1260 noon to 2 host and extensive background in the sports industry. Dave will be by to talk about the Olympic selection, but I will also ask his opinions on the rebuild and the Gagner leak (from an organization’s point of view).
  • Neal Livingston from Tend the Farm. It’s been awhile, I’m very much looking forward to Neal’s take on a crazy season in OKC and the recent upturn for the prospects.
  • Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Oilers, Olympics, Gagner leak.
  • Brad Lee from St. Louis Game Time. Input on a team that could win Stanley.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter.

335 Responses to "BLUES AT OILERS, G46 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    These guys are morons… but that analysis probably isn’t far off from the one that happened in the Hockey Canada room.

They’re just regurgitating the narrative that has been kicked around. It isn’t entirely fabricated as one could argue that Giroux didn’t make the team for similar reasons. It doesn’t excuse it so much as explain it.

This is why I generally watch the games on mute.

2. jp says:

Fuck I hate Lapierre. Overall that just sucks. Damn.

Weaseled that puck home.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gord, what a beauty.

How many Oil fans are falling in love with him all over again?*

*trademarked by some stupid rom-com.

4. Oilanderp says:

That dog don’t hunt. Poor kid.

5. G Money says:

I think Adam Smith was talking about Sportsnet when he said: “The man whose whole life is spent in performing a few simple operations, of which the effects are perhaps always the same, or very nearly the same, has no occasion to exert his understanding or to exercise his invention in finding out expedients for removing difficulties which never occur. He naturally loses, therefore, the habit of such exertion, and generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become.”

6. VanOil says:

Lapierre should get 2 min for bulling young Hunt.

7. Halfwise says:

Cheesy x 2.

8. G Money says:

Re: the icing call.

Seems to me that the Tampa Bay game was reffed dead even. No doubt the league therefore ripped the refs for that game a new one – reprimands, fines, the whole nine yards.

This game is being called along more traditional US-Canada lines.

9. Pouzar says:

Is Fedun hurt? He can’t help this team?

10. jp says:

4th line!!!! Less bad!!!!!

you know, and I’m going to get killed for this, but Arco-Gaz-Jones isn’t historically awful.

12. G Money says:

VanOil:
    Lapierre should get 2 min for bulling young Hunt.

I fucking hate Lapierre. Which is why that greasy dirty French bastard is exactly who the Oilers should have signed this summer as 4C. Yet the Blues with better C depth signed him while the Oilers felt Acton was the guy.

Hmmm.

13. bookje says:

jp: It’s undeniable. He’ll never be “good” but less bad appears to be occurring.

He was ‘good’ there.

14. Rebilled says:

Nice job Fourthies!

15. delooper says:

Gazdic hugging Arcobello looks like a gorilla holding a PEZ dispenser.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arco-Arco-Arco

17. rich says:

Oilers actually go to the net and score a goal. Arcobello can play on my team any time.

18. VanOil says:

Lord knows we have seen historically awful on the Oilers 4th line.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: I fucking hate Lapierre.Which is why that greasy dirty French bastard is exactly who the Oilers should have signed this summer as 4C.Yet the Blues with better C depth signed him while the Oilers felt Acton was the guy.

Hmmm.

20. G Money says:

Arco is the best C the Oilers have had on the fourth line in how many years?

I’ve always thought Jones was a good fit on the fourth line, it’s when he plays higher up the lineup that bad things tend to happen…

21. Kitchener says:

Gaz & Arco = Tom & Jerry

Size & brains = a good show

22. delooper says:

VanOil: Lord knows we have seen historically awful on the Oilers 4th line.

Let’s let History be the judge of that!

23. jp says:

Say what you will about Ference and his contract, but he’s helped the Oilers.

24. delooper says:

It’s about time for a Hemsky hail-mary rush.

25. jp says:

Wow, Bryz!!

26. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I would have signed him. But MacT/Eakins made a lot of noise about “character” this Summer. No way they sign that fucker.

I appreciate character, but I like “actual NHL player” better. Ideally I’d like to get both, but if I have to choose, I’ll take the latter, especially on a team that’s badly lacked that element on the fourth line forever!

27. Oilanderp says:

G Money:

YOU take that BACK!

28. jp says:

Having a guy that conceivably, possibly, could play on a line other than the 4th helps.

Arco is such a nice story. Just keeps making himself useful.

29. Pouzar says:

Once we trade Gagner for PK Subban I would love Arco with Perron/Yak.

30. sliderule says:

I suppose that we have to expect lots of those delay of game penalties.

Our coaches system for zone exits is high off glass.

Oh my!!

31. thepeetso says:

Amazing how Arco makes that 4th line decent. Imagine what he could do on the 2nd line, and Gagner’s ice time.

32. gr8one says:

Maaaaarcoooooo…………………….Belloooooooooo

Maaaaarcoooooo………………………….Belloooooooooo

Maaaaarcoooooo…………….Belloooooooooo

Maaaaarcoooooo…………Belloooooooooo

33. jp says:

I hate Backes too, but only in a “wish he was on my team” sorta way. I genuinely hate Lapierre.

34. G Money says:

Oilanderp: YOU take that BACK!

Sigh. I take it back.

*Hangs head*

35. Rebilled says:

think that went off Petry..

36. steveb12344 says:

How in this day and age does that Lapierre no- goal not get noticed?

37. G Money says:

You know, the whole “Gagner is bad defensively” has been done to death, but it’s his complete loss of offensive touch that is mystifying. Gagner is now the guy where offensive plays go to die. Frustrating as hell. Must be eating him alive.

FUCK. They just showed the non-goal. When it originally happened, I thought “man, that almost looks like it went in the side” but that was just a silly thought and I dismissed it. But no surprise the refs missed it and didn’t review it. (By which I mean, if it was an Oiler goal it would have been reviewed, but as a Blues goal it naturally wasn’t).

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think Bryz is settling into himself, i.e., league average. Admittedly, that’s better than Dubnyk’s been this season, but beyond the persistence of narratives, that’s what we’re looking at in the cold light of day.

It will be interesting to follow both questions going toward the draft: who do the Oilers keep (either?) at the deadline? and, who gets more at the deadline?

39. Halfwise says:

So what does the league do with that non-goal?

40. Rebilled says:

Of course LaPierre’s goal went through the net! CUZ OILERS

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Halfwise:
    So what does the league do with that non-goal?

nothing.

IIRC, that stuff has to be sorted out at the time.

42. G Money says:

Hopefully with their incompetence and bias on full display for the world, the refs will feel a modicum of shame at the league’s anti-Canada directives and call this game down the middle for a change.

I won’t hold my breath.

43. bookje says:

Halfwise:
    So what does the league do with that non-goal?

I think they have to give the Oilers Sidney Crosby in compensation.

44. gr8one says:

Halfwise:
    So what does the league do with that non-goal?

It sucks, but I don’t think there’s much else they could do.

bookje: I think they have to give the Oilers Sidney Crosby in compensation.

I like this answer better, but that’s a reach.

I’ll settle for Backes instead.

45. Rebilled says:

CUZ OILERS

46. Halfwise says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I dream of the day when it will matter

47. G Money says:

Beauty uncalled interference on Hemsky was directly responsible for that goal.

So much for any sense of shame from the refs.

48. Halfwise says:

bookje: I think they have to give the Oilers Sidney Crosby in compensation.

So now we have to give Crosby back? Harsh.

49. jp says:

What is going on???

50. RexLibris says:

bookje: I think they have to give the Oilers Sidney Crosby in compensation.

He’d be alright on the 4th line. Gazdic might score 5!

51. G Money says:

So the “replay” shows it was a legit goal? I watched it in super slow mo HD five times – it’s NOWHERE close to the front of the net, it’s through the side of the net by a good three inches. Anyone else see what they’re talking about in calling it a good goal?

Oh gee, another two blatant but uncalled penalties on the Oilers. What a shock.

52. Fixall with Rexall says:

Pang is adamant it’s impossible for a goal to go in through the sides.. CSI Edmonton fails he says.

53. JonyPro says:

Puck hitting ref = crowd applause

54. G Money says:

Interference and an uncalled slew foot trip. Not just blatant but dangerous plays going uncalled.

If the standard US-Canada pattern holds, the next penalty called will be a super-soft one against the Oilers (just to demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that it’s not a matter of letting things go, it’s that it’s only infractions by the Blues being let go, it’s still zero tolerance for the Oilers).

55. VanOil says:

The Oilers were kinder to the Corgis that period. They still left them out in the back yard in the cold but they stopped pissing on then.

56. gr8one says:

G Money:

I won’t hold my breath.

*hides from black helicopters as I adjust my tinfoil hat*

seriously?

Pretty much NOBODY caught that, including a full team of TV analysts, cameramen and behind the scenes crew whose sole purpose is to look at replays didn’t catch that, but the refs turned a blind eye?

/Edit

Upon further, further, FURTHER review, it seems it was an actual goal it just looked otherwise due to the camera angle.

Or was it?

Perhaps Bettman’s crack team of video-shoppers got to the footage to convince the masses!

Really though, I’m not trying to be a dick, just trying to be tongue-in-cheek funny, and I’m not even saying that there may or may not be something to this bias you speak of, but that was clearly not an instance of that, even if it really had of gone through the side of the net.

57. Pouzar says:

There was a 2nd Puck! There was a 2nd Puck!

58. oliveoilers says:

bookje: I think they have to give the Oilers Sidney Crosby in compensation.

Watch Eakins play him 4th line minutes, ‘cos he doesn’t ‘get’ the system and has monstrous sideburns.

59. G Money says:

gr8one: just trying to be tongue-in-cheek funny, and I’m not even saying that there may or may not be something to this bias you speak of, but that was clearly not an instance of that, even if it really had of gone through the side of the net.

Tinfoil hats don’t help, apparently they just focus the aliens’ mind rays.

My tinfoil point was that if that was an Oilers goal, they would have reviewed it. Instead we get what appears to be the Bettman-spin-crew: “See! Look! You didn’t really see what you saw! It really was a goal!”

I like Pouzar’s theory personally.

60. Halfwise says:

Pouzar:
    There was a 2nd Puck! There was a 2nd Puck!

It went in off the grassy knoll.

61. Fixall with Rexall says:

I don’t think Pang likes Eakins at all. He’s been dirting him all game. That’s our job! We don’t need help.

62. gr8one says:

Pouzar:
    There was a 2nd Puck! There was a 2nd Puck!

lol, indeed, on the icy knoll.

63. RexLibris says:

Remember Peckham’s delay of game penalty a season or two ago where it went out through the camera hole?

Them’s my Oilers!

64. Kitchener says:

Tonight’s calls or non-calls aside, the general trend each season toward “playoff hockey” as the days get longer doesn’t favour our current roster.

65. Pouzar says:

Marincin with jusy over 13 min. Me likey
    And Yak with more Ice time that Hall and Eberle.

66. G Money says:

RexLibris:

Them’s my Oilers!

The Mr. Magoo “Hand Pass” is my favourite.

67. RexLibris says:

G Money: The Mr. Magoo “Hand Pass” is my favourite.

My personal all-time favourite is one in the Oilers’ favour.

Simpson was coming down the wing with Messier behind him. The players all thought they heard a whistle and all five guys on the opposition and three on the Oilers basically stopped skating and went over for a faceoff. Meanwhile the goalie is freaking out because he has Simpson and Messier barreling in. Completely. Alone.

Simpson scored.

Hilarious.

68. VanOil says:

Another tin foil hat notion:

Had Carolina played Buffalo tonight they would of been tied with Toronto for the last wild card playoff spot in the East going into Thursdays game against the Leafs. This assumes they would of beat the Sabre’s, which is a safe bet. It also assumes that the league has a vested interest in keeping Toronto in the playoff picture as long as possible.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, is MaxLap the Umbrella Man?

70. RexLibris says:

VanOil:
    Another tin foil hat notion:

I thought maybe the league cancelled the game because, well, its the ‘Canes and the Sabres.

You know.

71. Pretendergast says:

Oh my goodness somebody took the body on a player going to the net! Who was it that sent tarasenko on his back?

72. Andy P says:

gr8one: Apologize to the Oilers, admit it was a blown call, and try to ensure it never happens again.It sucks, but I don’t think there’s much else they could do.I like this answer better, but that’s a reach.I’ll settle for Backes instead.

73. RexLibris says:

I’m watching the Coyotes take it to the Flames 5-0.

I feel better about the Oilers game now.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, is MaxLap the Umbrella Man?

Wicker man, if we’re lucky.

75. G Money says:

Andy P: I think the refs will make sure the Blues beat us by 2 or more goals so the side of net goal is no longer the winning goal.

76. Bulging Twine says:

Hitchcock wouldn’t let Hall make that give away at his own blue line twice.

77. G Money says:

RexLibris:
    I’m watching the Coyotes take it to the Flames 5-0.

I feel better about the Oilers game now.

In one sense I agree, but objectively, the only value left in this season (like last year) is in the draft pick, and finishing ahead of the Flames (like last year) would be … counterproductive. Still, I hope they lose 9-0, because Flames!

78. Pouzar says:

Nice play by Marincin on Backes rush there

79. VanOil says:

Bulging Twine,

Hitchcock would not of taken Terry Jones donuts away either.

80. RexLibris says:

G Money: In one sense I agree, but objectively, the only value left in this season (like last year) is in the draft pick, and finishing ahead of the Flames (like last year) would be … counterproductive.Still, I hope they lose 9-0, because Flames!

6-0 Coyotes.

I’m in the same boat.

The Oilers need a top two pick this year in order to garner the greatest interest and return in the event of a trade.

That being said, unless the Flames get the 1st or 2nd overall pick, I’m not convinced that Burke won’t consider trading it away for a more finished product.

81. Bulging Twine says:

VanOil:
    Bulging Twine,

Hitchcock would not of taken Terry Jones donuts away either.

He’d double the supply

82. Andy P says:

G Money: Damn, we have to throw out all the tinfoil theories – looks like it really was a good goal. It was that damn third dimension that did it!That said, the defense of the refs (“they made the right call”) is stupid – if they actually saw it go in off his back and down, then why did they check the net for a hole after the fact?

And why was the plastic broken just where the puck went in?

83. Halfwise says:

See ya in OKC, Brad.

84. G Money says:

Funny how “checked the player” in this case means “hooked the player over the shoulder from behind, then stuck his knee behind the puck carrier and threw him to the ice – but no call”.

85. VanOil says:

3d or 4th game in a row I would call Yakupov the Oilers best forward. He is running CF60% so far according to Extraskater on a CF 36% team.

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Great story for Hunt to make it to the NHL books.

But is was a stretch to have him up this long and there is no way Eakins/MacT can justify giving him another game, esp. the way Eakins murders players who give the puck away, or “leave things on the table.”

87. Gerta Rauss says:

Andy P: And why was the plastic broken just where the puck went in?

They showed a couple more replays that shows it went under Bryz’ arm-it was a good goal unfortunately.

88. Bulging Twine says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Great story for Hunt to make it to the NHL books.

Except Hall. No murder for Hall.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Remember that game where Grebs was fighting it and ended up with like 6mins?

Hunt is already over 10.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bulging Twine: Except Hall.No murder for Hall.

uhhh… what?

91. G Money says:

I’ve been watching the US-Canada reffing nonsense for four years now, not sure why it’s frustrating me so much today … I got a chance to work with one of our club fighters in the ring at my Muay Thai class tonight, and I pounded the tar out of the pads. I’m exhausted and my back and knee and neck all hurt, but you’d think I’d be mellow as hell, yet here I am grinding my teeth.

Oh yeah.

Because Oilers.

92. RexLibris says:

Beautiful delay by Marincin there.

93. G Money says:

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Shit

(The chant of the OIler fan)

94. Nostradumbass says:

Hey a Magnus Muffin…haven’t missed those

95. G Money says:

There is absolutely NOTHING the Blues are not allowed to do. No consequence, no compunction.

96. pboy says:

Gagner is absolutely lost right now. He needs the Olympic break right now to find his game.

97. Bulging Twine says:

Romulus Apotheosis: uhhh… what?

Hall is free to give away the puck frequently. Eakins doesn’t “murder” him. Ever.

Oilers have actually played a little better than I thought they would in this game. 4-2 isn`t great, but the Blues are loaded and this team started so badly it felt like a 7-1 night. Thought Hall would have more

Bulging Twine: Hall is free to give away the puck frequently.Eakins doesn’t “murder” him.Ever.

check TOI

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A very recent example:

101. RexLibris says:

Yakupov out with the EN.

Based on how Eakins has used Hall in these situations this season, I think this counts as a significant cote of confidence in the young man.

102. Bulging Twine says:

Lowetide: check TOI

Romulus Apotheosis: A very recent example:

Is that what you meant as “murder”?

103. RexLibris says:

Am I supposed to be the least bit sympathetic that Oshie has a knee injury when he initiated contact aiming for Hall’s leg and his team has been running the Oilers all night?

Bulging Twine:
    Is that what you meant as “murder”?

RexLibris:
    Yakupov out with the EN.

Yes agreed. Yakupov is heading north. 20 goals will be an absolute victory for him this season.

106. Bulging Twine says:

Lowetide: tonight`s toi Hall trails the 2line, benched for an entire period on the road trip.

Okay. There are some consequence then. That is a good thing. Eakins has to do him and the team a favor and help him to get that out of his game. It’s a killer. Especially in those things, I think they are called playoff games or something.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I think this counts as a significant cote of confidence in the young man.

Bulging Twine: Okay.There are some consequence then.That is a good thing.Eakins has to do him and the team a favor and help him to get that out of his game.It’s a killer.Especially in those things, I think they are called playoff games or something.

I don`t mind the turnovers at the blueline trying to enter the zone, that`s the cost of doing business. Those wild passes? Gotta go.

109. Bulging Twine says:

Agreed. He is such an ace at gaining the OZone that he’s allowed a few turnovers there I would think. I was referring to the give away leaving his own zone.

Bulging Twine:
    Agreed.He is such an ace at gaining the OZone that he’s allowed a few turnovers there I would think.I was referring to the give away leaving his own zone.

Yep. Have to get rid of that. Jacks and Kings, twos and threes.

111. denny33 says:

gr8one,

Refuses to play forward.

112. denny33 says:

jp,

Please elaborate……

113. jp says:

denny33: What is going on???

Are you asking about this: “What is going on???”

That was during the heart series of StL non-calls. Right after the Eberle slew-foot maybe? It’s all running together in my head now.

Not 1 PP. 2 Blues goals with unofficial (primary) assists for picks. And so on.

I’m not into the conspiracy theories, but that wasn’t quite appropriate.

114. teddyturnbuckle says:

Brad hunt looked like that should be his last Nhl game for now.

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A really interesting look at tonight’s game:

is if you stare at the 85-2 pair for a while.

they played basically the entire game together, minus 2.7 minutes.

In that 2.7 minutes 85 was with 19.

The difference in CF% for 85 and 2:

85: CF13 CA16 44.8%
    2: CF13 CA8 61.9%

So… in that 2.7 minutes with 19, 85 saw no CF events and 8 CA events…. Am I reading this right? That’s terrible.

116. Numenius says:

Justin Schultz 28:09 TOI. Wow. Shows a lot of trust from Eakins.

I didn’t watch most of the game though. Did he play well?

Numenius:
    Justin Schultz 28:09 TOI. Wow. Shows a lot of trust from Eakins.

I didn’t watch most of the game though. Did he play well?

118. jp says:

My above comment illustrates what happens when you’ve copied some text then attempt to “quote” another comment. The copied text gets inserted in place of the actual quoted comment. Weird.

119. G Money says:

Numenius:
    Justin Schultz 28:09 TOI. Wow. Shows a lot of trust from Eakins.

I didn’t watch most of the game though. Did he play well?

Typical stuff. Great skater, creative offensively, an adventure defensively, unsheltered and in way over his head.

The guy whose numbers really impress is Gordon – 10% OZ Starts and a positive corgi on a night when the rest of the team was lighting those poor little dogs on fire.

120. teddyturnbuckle says:

Yak is getting better every game. Hope he and Nuge get to 20 goals this season otherwise it will be a disappointing season for them both. MacT said Klefbom is going to spend some time with the Oilers in the last 30 games so I guess we are going to get a look at him soon. After reading that article sounds like MacT is planning on drafting another future star. The draft has become the highlight of the oilers season. Can’t wait.

121. teddyturnbuckle says:

They were one of the better lines tonight.

122. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    A really interesting look at tonight’s game:

is if you stare at the 85-2 pair for a while.

they played basically the entire game together, minus 2.7 minutes.

In that 2.7 minutes 85 was with 19.

The difference in CF% for 85 and 2:

85: CF13CA1644.8%
    2: CF13CA861.9%

Almost. There’s also the 2.1 minutes that Petry spent with the Schultzes (1.7 of that with Nick). So if Petry for instance went 3-0 with NSchultz, then Marincin could have gone 3-8 with JSchultz. There’s no getting around the 8 CA for 85-19, but there COULD have been some positive in there with the terrible.

123. LMHF#1 says:

Anyone on this roster for Backes. What a player.

124. denny33 says:

stevezie,

Agree with everything you say – no problem with gags price for Buf.

Some in here – are throwing out Ekblad for him.

125. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

You want them all……?

You have two of the top 12…..

126. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

Lars Eller on the Oilers: “It can be anything, you know? They play a little bit like a junior team, I think, sometimes . They take a lot of risks, a lot of chances, they’re a little all over the place. There’s not a lot of structure, always, in their game”.

A classic!!!

127. jp says:

Ontario Oilers Fan:

A classic!!!

I take some solace that the “junior team” actually did win that game. Not much though.

128. Ryan says:

Was just thinking about David Clarkson today.

I hadn’t watched him much prior to this season really.

What was Mact thinking backing up the brinks truck for this guy? He’s had a couple 0.5 ppg seasons.

He’s not exactly a beast physically… I mean he’s listed at 6’1 200 lbs.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan:
    Was just thinking about David Clarkson today.

I hadn’t watched him much prior to this season really.

What was Mact thinking backing up the brinks truck for this guy?He’s had a couple 0.5 ppg seasons.

He’s not exactly a beast physically… I mean he’s listed at 6’1 200 lbs.

It was a mistake. For sure.

But the caveats are that Clarkson had a great first half last year in his UFA year. It wasn’t a big UFA year for power forwards, so he was the big cherry. MacT was chasing top 6 size and willing to overpay on the UFA market to save actual assets.

130. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It was a mistake. For sure.

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ontario Oilers Fan: Key words: willing to overpay on the UFA market. Very indicative that no player would go to Deadmonton. After all, who wants to kill his career? Is there an agent dumb enough to press his client to go to the Oilers???

Everyone overpays or underpays on the UFA market. That’s what the UFA market is: players over or undervalued being absurdly coveted (Clarkson) or absurdly neglected (Gilbert).

Did you see what Toronto paid him? That was an overpay. And, he desperately wanted to play there.

132. jp says:

This may all be true, but Clarkson is from Toronto, so it was never a fair fight.

133. russ99 says:

Clarkson isn’t really the issue, it’s that MacT thinks a player like that is a cure to our ills.

This is my fear, they’re going to deal skill or overpay in FA to go big and end up with 3-4 of these guys.: big, but useless. Give me a few established 2-way shutdown line players instead, regardless of size.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:

This is my fear, they’re going to deal skill or overpayin FA to go big and end up with 3-4 of these guys.: big, but useless. Give me a few established 2-way shutdown line players instead, regardless of size.

The Clarkson thing was a mistake clearly. But where’s this “cure to our ills” thing?

How come whenever a move is proposed, attempted or takes place the bar is set so absurdly high for success?

MacT never made such a claim. He wanted a guy with size, who can skate and stand in front of the net for the kids. Clarkson would be fine in that role. Way overpaid, but fine. Certainly not a “cure to our ills”… but he’d help.

« Older Comments