HEMSKY NEWS

On a day when the Oilers bumbled and stumbled their way to a road point and their 36th loss is 51 games, the club got some good news from Fort Edmonton.

hemsky newsHemsky’s value to the Oilers, via trade or re-signing, is clear. A long term injury at the edge of the Olympics and the trade deadline does no one a service, so this is good news for everyone. The Yakupov item is a nice one, too.

58 Responses to "HEMSKY NEWS"

1. Ben says:

‘Hemsky’s ankle’ comprises the definitive list of things not broken about this team.

2. Colieo87 says:

So when do the oilers sign Bryzgalov? And how much is fair? 3-3.5 range?

3. Colieo87 says:

Holy cow does MacT have a lot of work to do this summer the team could look completely different this fall. Who stays and who goes that is the million dollar question right there!

PROJECTED 2014-15 LINEUP (13 of 23)

G: Ben Scrivens
    D: Jeff Petry, Martin Marincin, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz
    C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon, Matt Hendricks
    L: Taylor Hall, David Perron, Luke Gazdic
    R: Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov

5. RexLibris says:

PROJECTED 2014-15 LINEUP (13 of 23)

G: Ben Scrivens D: Jeff Petry, Martin Marincin, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon, Matt Hendricks L: Taylor Hall, David Perron, Luke Gazdic R: Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov

You’ve spelled Draisaitl wrong there in the 3C position, LT.

6. Rondo says:

Clowns to the left of me…jokers to the right.

7. Traktor says:

I just wanted to a quick rant about Gagner if that’s OK, LT.

I’m not saying he is the worst player in the league – he could help a team like Nashville or Phoenix that are built around grinders – Gagner could be sort of a PP specialist.

But on this team its clear who we are building around and Gagner probably negative value on the ice to us because brings what we already have, in a poor mans fashion, and he doesn’t bring anything that we don’t have.

I dunno how MacT didn’t see this.

I’d keep Hemsky over Gagner at this point.

Traktor: in fairness to MacT this version of 89 was impossible to predict. He was never this bad, and he used to add more offense.

9. Ducey says:

Anyone know anything about Reid Petryk? He have cement skates or bad sideburns?

He plays C for the Oil Kings, is 6 2″ 210 lbs. Looks like he is in his last yr in junior. He was at Oilers prospect camp. He never did much before on the score sheet and looks to be undrafted.

He now has 39 pts in 40 games with 25 coming in the last 18 games.

If he is “gritty” maybe the Oilers sign him this summer?

10. book¡je says:

Dubnyk gets the start for Nashville tonight. Which of the following are we hoping for:

A. Dubnyk goes 0.937 for the rest of the season proving the Oilers are worse than we thought.

B. Dubnyk goes 0.901 for the rest of the season leaving us with a little hope for the Oilers.

book¡je:
    Dubnyk gets the start for Nashville tonight.Which of the following are we hoping for:

A.Dubnyk goes 0.937 for the rest of the season proving the Oilers are worse than we thought.

B.Dubnyk goes 0.901 for the rest of the season leaving us with a little hope for the Oilers.

I hope Devan Dubnyk wins the Stanley Cup.

12. vesci says:

book¡je:

If A then maybe MacT spends the summer looking for useful defensemen and not chasing The Cam Wards. I would prefer that as I think fixing the D will make the goaltending not look so bad.

13. justDOit says:

book¡je,
    A choice of bad or worse. I’m pulling for Doobie no matter the implications for lowe’s mess.

14. book¡je says:

Lowetide: I hope Devan Dubnyk wins the Stanley Cup.

Are you thinking the Oilers are out of the running at this point?

I just went to the nhl.com site, and they have a banner ad from Scotiabank:

Richness is: Having a team you can believe in.

16. book¡je says:

For the record, I hope Dubnyk does well, I’m glad VESCI found the positive interpretation of that happening.

17. Traktor says:

Lowetide: But what do you do now?

Do you keep someone that doesn’t help you just so you don’t lose a trade?

Gagner is worth more than 20 cents and as soon as he is moved his numbers will probably move in the right direction but that isn’t going to happen here.

Then there is the Yakupov situation. And Eakins.

I feel like Ryan Murray is going to win the Norris next year and Nurse is going to sign with the Stamps.

18. OilClog says:

Hendricks played a good gritty game today. Lots of Truckinstuff

19. ASkoreyko says:

book¡je:

Wouldn’t A mean the Oilers are bad.

B mean that Dubnyk was bad?

By the way we are 14 mins into Dubnyk’s Nashville ‘career’ and he is posting a blistering .769 Sv%.

Maybe the Oilers are better than we think!

PROJECTED 2014-15 LINEUP (13 of 23)

The trade for the 1LD will define this team for the next 5 years whether’s its good, bad or indifferent.

Get the right guy, get the wrong guy, trade the right guy, trade the wrong guy.

Its the only thing keeping my interest.

That and if Eakins manages to alienate Yak.

21. vesci says:

book¡je:

Wow positive. Is that what I am feeling. Thanks for helping me identify that strange feeling following another loss.

This team really needs 2 defensemen. It will allow Petry Ference and J Schultz to move down in the batting order and then we may not need a goaltender to stop 40 shots a game to win. Not that we have witnessed that much this year

22. justDOit says:

Twitter rumor suggestion: Eakins is being sent to the AHL for conditioning and lowe will take over for him in the interim.

Has there ever been a beer awning over the home bench?

23. Clay says:

Woodguy:

That and if Eakins manages to alienate Yak.

Are you insinuating that he hasn’t already? Or is this pure sarcasm?

Lowetide: I hope Devan Dubnyk wins the Stanley Cup.

He’s let in 3 of the first 13 so far.

Clay: Are you insinuating that he hasn’t already?Or is this pure sarcasm?

I want to see if he buries him or if Yak comes up for air.

This is far from over for either of them.

26. FastOil says:

Grabovski rumoured to be signing again in WSH per TSN.

This is the damage caused by bad decisions, especially with how tight the NHL is these days.

Of all the players available last summer, of course, the good will not come to market again this summer.

This is the failing of Steve Tamebellini, but more importantly Kevin Lowe. I say this because it was an unusual summer with a new CBA. No hay was made in a new sun. Lowe had to buy into the line of letting them go for it, but that was not realistic as dedicated bloggers new.

The team pays now, again, until another window opens which MacT hopefully doesn’t miss or get wrong.

FastOil:
    Grabovski rumoured to be signing again in WSH per TSN.

If the Oilers had added ONE good UFA in 2010 and ONE in 2011 and ONE ins 2012 this team would be miles ahead. That’s the tragedy of the current situation. MacT/Eakins are left holding the world’s biggest bag of shit.

28. G Money says:

godot10:
    I just went to the nhl.com site, and they have a banner ad from Scotiabank:

Richness is: Having a team you can believe in.

Ouch. Guess I’m going to have to change my screen name to “G Poor As Sh*t”.

29. Genjutsu says:

Woodguy: He’s let in 3 of the first 13 so far.

Down early for all 3 including Hejda’s 24th ever goal.

Confidence is a funny thing.

Woodguy: He’s let in 3 of the first 13 so far.

I didn’t say he WOULD.

31. Ice Sage says:

book¡je:

C. Dubie goes 0.960 for the rest of the season, allowing MacT to trade Gagner for Rinne.

yes, this is 3rd beer talking

32. PREDICKTER says:

Ice Sage,

Wow, 3rd beer. What happens to you after a dozen.

33. Ice Sage says:

PREDICKTER,

Ha ha – these are Central City IPA’s – 9% but, if I were to get thru a case, I’d probably be found in a fetal position, quietly sobbing “where did you go, Tank Kovalenko?”

34. Gret99zky says:

justDOit:

Has there ever been a beer awning over the home bench?

So, when Lowe and Co. break Florida’s record of 10 straight years out of the playoffs, will a banner suffice or will he have rings made?

35. Thiru says:

Traktor,

I absolutely agree with this.

Gagner’s struggles have been worse this year, but the things that we’re seeing — the missed D coverage, the inability to win battles, to maintain possession — those things started creeping in last year.

We’re now at 2 seasons worth of data+observation showing that:
    a) 89 is not a good possession player
    b) 89 is not a good defensive player

I would like to see Lander get a push after the deadline. Make him the 2C and see if he can run with it.

36. Thiru says:

Woodguy,

I’m convinced that Eakins has a good plan in mind for Yakupov.

He criticizes him, sometimes unfairly, but the lines of communication are open.

I also have the impression that Eakins likes Yak a lot. That speech about the two of them being “joined at the hip” was one of the most memorable things I can remember an Oiler coach saying about a struggling player.

37. VanOil says:

Taking a break from the Calgary Vancouver boxing match, Anna Ivanovic is putting a beating on Serena. This open up the draw for Eugenie Bouchard if she can make it through her match latter tonight against an Australian.

38. FastOil says:

Lowetide: holding the world’s biggest bag of shit.

Love it

39. OilLeak says:

In regards to Gagner:

In reviewing Gagner’s QOT history it seems that Gagner has benefited from having quality line-mates to drag him along over the majority of his NHL tenure. This year Gagner hasn’t been afforded that same luxury to a degree and combined with bad luck, injury, and other factors I’m probably not accounting for; Gagner has fallen off the map in performance. Gagner isn’t as bad as he’s shown this year, but he’s not nearly as good as some his past performances either. All of this couldn’t happen at a worse time, because now the Oilers need an upgrade and his trade value has been sunk.

In the same vein Cogliano wasn’t always afforded the same QOT that Gagner had, ran into bad luck in his final 2 seasons(especially the last) and was subsequently ran out of town. Oilers sold low on Cogliano and will be doing so again when Gagner finally gets shipped out. It’s frustrating, but it always seem the Oilers are buying high and selling low, and some of that is to be expected, because no one wants an under performing player on a under performing team.

Note: What Cogliano has done in Anaheim in the past 2 seasons is unrealistic and shouldn’t continue long term either.

40. Henry says:

Lowetide: I hope Devan Dubnyk wins the Stanley Cup.

Correct. You shall pass.

41. edoil1 says:

OilLeak,

Gagner played with Patrick Kane in junior,that would increase any player’s stats/draft position,it would be ok if we did not sign him to that bonehead contract,but we did.I never did get this player.

42. Henry says:

G Money: Ouch.Guess I’m going to have to change my screen name to “G Poor As Sh*t”.

not if i beat you first

43. edoil1 says:

The way I see it is ,if the Oiler managment want to save face they will trade even low,even all draft pick’s for DAMN NHL defensemen,I mean it’s so bad ,you have people who don’t even watch hockey saying “why is this team so bad?”It isn’t rocket science.I don’t care if they play the trap, at this point,bring up Fedun or anyone that can’t be worse.

44. flyfish1168 says:

I like what the flames did tonight. nucks playing more dirty than grity and I see why MacT is picking up more toughness. Starting to hate the nucks more than the flames.

Be an interesting game Tuesday if there are some suspensions.

45. Ice Sage says:

flyfish1168:

Be an interesting game Tuesday if there are some suspensions.

Fonzie should be the first suspended.
    Still, a bush league move by Hartley – he knows he’s got nothing else. It worked though – I’d trade Smid for Bieksa any day.

Live stream of Dys post game presser, still waiting for Torts

47. OilLeak says:

Pretty calm response by Tortorella

48. jake70 says:

VanOil:

Bouchard through easily to the quarters and the tank Serena is out. Bouchard beat Ivanovic last year at Wimbledon.

49. Andy P says:

The way things are right now any line up they ice will beat any lineup the Oilers ice. I’ve only watched since the 90′s and I have never ever seen a team that plays so poorly.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

book¡je: Are you thinking the Oilers are out of the running at this point?

Hahahaaaaaaarrrrgghhh! This made me laugh and groan all at once.

51. gcw_rocks says:

No one is arguing that MacT inherited a bad team. But that isn’t relevant to the point. An unusually large number of good players went deep into summer without contracts (Grabovski, Gilbert, Hainsey, Boyes, Raymond, etc.) whose skill sets filled the majority of the holes in the roster and MacT wasn’t “bold” or smart enough to take advantage of the gift placed in front of him.

At that moment it stopped being on Tambo and went completely on his shoulders.

gcw_rocks:

At that moment it stopped being on Tambo and went completely on his shoulders.

The forward group had two question marks imo: why Joensuu over Harski, and then why sign Jones. I mentioned both at the time. I cannot point the finger at MacT over Raymond as an example because it did look as though he was on the way to Toronto (they were trying to find room).

53. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: I don’t believe your blanket statement correctly reflects the summer.

54. Andy P says:

hunter1909: What about a rookie GM hoping to look uber smart when hiring another rookie Head Coach on a 4 year contract, as if for good measure? In 2013 this was spun as boldness, but in 2014 appears rash, to say the least.Bragging about having travelled all the way to Sweden, then having seen a Swedish prospect play a single shift, deciding he’d seen enough. Flat out reckless behavior. Obviously at this point in the season it’s like beating a dead cat by the side of the freeway, but nevertheless might still be included in a rational analysis of MacT’s summer of 2013.

Rookie mistakes. Happens everywhere all the time. The reason most people prefer to hire veterans in senior positions.

55. hunter1909 says:

Andy P,

Yeah that’s what has much of the dwindling fan base throwing their bongs out the window: The thought of having to suffer another 3-5 years while MacT “learns” his awesome new Katz-job.

56. gcw_rocks says:

“Two things: I’ve noticed a lot of people mentioning Gilbert, and you bet he would have been a better option than Belov, Grebeshkov or even Ference. However, MacT did address the defense problem, but didn’t get the best return. That’s different than doing nothing about it, and I do think that both Ference and Belov have given value.
    I think we have to find a way to parse this finely enough to the point where we can be critical without being unfair. I don’t believe your blanket statement correctly reflects the summer.”

I never said he did nothing. I said it was obvious to anyone who looked at the track record the players he acquired and the players the roster that he hadn’t done enough. Not only that, but that viable options existed to address those deficiencies, and over a summer where a number players had the least leverage they will every have and were likely desperate for a contract. I purposely left players like Morrow off my list because retiring wad likely a better option than coming Edmonton, but the rest likely didn’t have that option.

He made a number of gambles instead of focusing on real, proven talent. He made a bet that one of Joensuu or Ryan Hamilton, or an aging Smyth, could play third line left wing. He gambled that Belov, who had never played a minute of NHL hockey could play top four minutes if needed. He made a bet that Ference could play top pairing minutes when nothing in his recent history suggests that was likely. He gambled that Grebeshkov had gas left in the tank. He games that Acton could play fourth line minutes when he had never done that before. With the evolution of Gordon, almost every free agent move he made was asking players to play above where their track record indicates proven success.

I think that my “blanket statement” is fair, and the evidence on the ice backs it up. We all expected the new GM to understand the roster issues, to take prudent action to address those issues, and deliver measurable on ice improvement leveraging favourable market conditions. He failed. He gambled in free agency when he should have played it safe. That Tambo failed before him does not excuse his failure. It makes it more glaring.

57. gcw_rocks says:

hunter1909,

Good point. In addition to make poor gambles in free agency, he was banning on rookies like Klefbom if you believe what was telling the media. Insanity.

58. David S says:

The goal was to stockpile top five draft picks. You can’t do that if you add good UFA’s. THIS is the back end of that strategy.