LIGHTNING AT OILERS, G45 13-14

Yesterday’s news that Sam Gagner’s name is ‘out there’ means Craig MacTavish is going to make some big changes in the next seven months, and I suspect those changes will go higher up the depth chart than Gagner.

Why?

Consider Gagner’s value at this time.

• Boxcars: 31, 5-9-14
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 45.4%
  • PDO: 94.1%
  • last 10 games: 2-1-3
  • faceoff percentage: 45.3%
  • 5×5 points per 60: 1.30
  • pp points per 60: 2.27
  • GF-GA On ice 5×5: 13-28 (GF % 5×5: 31.7%)
  • Shooting percentage: 8.2

This is from extra skater. Gagner’s boxcars after 31 games in a ‘normal’ season would be about 7-13-20 based on his career numbers before this season. Among the things we can see that are below par for this season are PDO, performance in his last 10 games, 5×5/60, pp points/60, GF% and shooting percentage. That’s like a murderer’s row of bad performance combined with bad luck. If his PDO were at 100, if his shooting percentage at 10%, and of course if Kassian hadn’t done the nasty business, we wouldn’t be having a conversation about not being able to get full value for Gagner.

Now we are. No doubt. We all know about his defensive troubles, but we also know Gagner is more about the wood (offense) than the leather (defense) to borrow a baseball term from the olden days. Gagner’s being under par at the things we know he’s good at mean trading him for full value is not possible. The wise man keeps his powder dry in this situation.

gagner common

WHAT CAN YOU GET FOR GAGNER?

The last two times MacT has gone to market in an effort to dump a contract he has received:

• Phil Larsen and a 7th round pick in 2525
  • Laurent Brossoit and Roman Horak

For two NHL regulars, one of which has many miles of track to go before he retires (Smid). If I were to hazard a guess about what the Oilers might get in return, the price tag (by city) might be:

• NYI: they’ll want to move Grabner, Oilers would probably ask after Josh Bailey. I don’t know there’s a match there.
  • TOR: all kinds of options here, the Leafs are tiring of Kadri and I’ve always liked him. One idea that might work for the Oilers is David Clarkson. I’m just saying. A signed Kulemin would be a very sexy return in this less than ideal situation.
  • CHI: I think there’s a chance he ends up in Chicago, and someone like Bryan Bickell or Kris Versteeg coming the other way.

Oilers aren’t going to get 100 cents on the dollar for Gagner, so may have to include a pick or prospect in return. Prepare to be underwhelmed in a “I thought they’d get more for Smid” kind of way.schultz1WHO ELSE IS GOING?

From what we know, Gagner is part of the ‘inner circle’ of players that includes Hall and Eberle. This is conjecture, and I don’t want to go too far down that road but we can state with authority that as recently as last summer (when MacT said glowing things and signed 89 to a contract that included a verbal no-trade) everything was solid as a rock.

Things change, and they may have changed for everyone.

I have, until this point, firmly believed the Oilers brass had an inner circle of players considered off limits. The names on that list (I assumed) were Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz.

I am no longer convinced all of those names are on the list. Who will they trade? One assumes Hall and Nugent-Hopkins are still off limits, to borrow an oft-used line from the Eagles they can check out any time they like but they can never leave.

After that? Gagner, Yakupov, Eberle, Schultz might be in play. I honestly question the wisdom of trading Nail Yakupov, and suspect it’s a major mistake to deal any of these young men. That said, I imagine the pressure on Craig MacTavish to improve this team is incredible, and further suspect the organization’s collective eyes are becoming more and more attracted to youngsters Sam Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad.

A new shiny shinny coin is on the horizon, and yesterday’s papers may be cleared away before August 1st. I bet you Gagner isn’t the only one, and the chances Edmonton gets paid in full are not great. Dealing from weakness is a bad way, and trading that first round draft pick in 2014 is the right call. Stand as you are, no more youth, turn this wagon train north starting now.

And yet, the news on the wire is “Gagner is out there” and that could mean more rebuilding.

The Oilers may be thinking of a massive overhaul of the NHL roster, with a mind to keeping the pick and spending it on Ekblad. If that is the case, we are Groundhog Day. The Never Ending Story lives here.

301 Responses to "LIGHTNING AT OILERS, G45 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Survioil says:

Flying blind here in the Maritimes….love score but are they playing the proverbial 200ft game? never mind …3 -1 What I can get hockey wise this week. Yak.? Can’t be greedy, can ?

2. VanOil says:

Oilanderp,

thanks for the link

3. Derek says:

Goddamn that 64 can shoot the puck.

4. jp says:

“nice defensive play by Gagner”…

Maybe he doesn’t have to go LT.

5. gvblackhawk says:

Maybe it’s the lighting in the rink that affects the goalie’s ability to see the puck.

Or the Oilers have bad goaltending.

jp:
    “nice defensive play by Gagner”…

Maybe he doesn’t have to go LT.

I’m sorry, my decision is final.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That long, long shift was terrifying.

8. Gerta Rauss says:

Clown show this period so far. I guess we’re seeing why TB has won 25 games this year.

9. VanOil says:

St. Louis will be a great mentor for Drouin.

10. Brackenburied says:

I certainly have not been impressed with Bryz in comparison to DD. And his occasional gesticulations bespeak an idiot mind. I look forward to him being traded at the deadline.

11. VanOil says:

Cutie behind the bench gave Eakins the stink eye after that goal. He is losing the womens vote.

12. leadfarmer says:

Did not see that coming, said no one ever.

13. jp says:

Lowetide: I’m sorry, my decision is final.

14. Pouzar says:

Brackenburied:

You need to re-watch the first 10 games

jp: I know you already have the “Sail on Young Knight” written, but you know you don’t want to use it.

16. oliveoilers says:

Le sigh….

17. Brackenburied says:

Pouzar: You need to re-watch the first 10 games

That’s a dark period in my life. Don’t make me go back.
    I’ll qualify my comment with “recent performances”.

18. Oilanderp says:

Brackenburied,

Why you heff to be medd? He’s a good guy. He mey be tryin to leev here because here is in the november monts is a -32! Could you imagine?

19. Thiru says:

Gagner made a couple nice defensive plays that period.

I didn’t think that period was all that bad. TB with some push back, but there weren’t any glaring defensive breakdowns.

Actually, I’d say that they’re doing a very good job of collapsing down low and taking away second and third opportunities.

Oilers had their chances, Lindholm was just better than Bryz that period.

20. Oilanderp says:

In a few years, Eakins will have taught these guys how to keep a 3-1 lead.

21. Oilanderp says:

Wow, Spec just givin’ it to Nultz.

22. Brackenburied says:

Oilanderp:
    Brackenburied,

Why you heff to be medd?He’s a good guy.He mey be tryin to leev here because here is in the november monts is a -32!Could you imagine?

Ha!
    Also, Belov has gone in the ванная since Bryz arrived. Coincidence??

23. Gerta Rauss says:

wtf..?

24. VanOil says:

keep that bad man

25. VanOil says:

OK, in that case shop him

26. "Steve Smith" says:

Shit, Hemsky scores.

(I’m just assuming that he no longer plays for the Oilers.)

27. oliveoilers says:

Oilanderp:
    In a few years, Eakins will have taught these guys how to keep a 3-1 lead.

He’s only just figured out how to get a 3-1 lead, let alone keep it. Seems like that one was a loaner and had to go back.

28. bookje says:

Not watching – I am assuming a Hemsky goal was called back?

29. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje,

crossbar

edit-Gordon scores 4-3!!

30. Brackenburied says:

Neat (not) how Sportsnet relies on Louie’s power of description instead of actual replays.

Smyth is having a nice night.

32. jp says:

So, has Eakins taught them how to hold onto a 4-3 lead?

This has certainly been a whole lot better game than vs. SJ or Ana.

33. jp says:

Lowetide: No, it’ll be “Sail On, Toronto Marlboro” as its always the first place he played and is recorded in his record.

Didn’t realize that was the exact formula.

I’m hoping this is like the Hemsky situation where MacT doesn’t move the player unless the return is fair. We’ll see.

34. Genjutsu says:

Smyth is having a nice night.

I see no reason not to give him another year.

35. RexLibris says:

This Hall kid seems to be alright.

Hall from Ference! Not exactly Gretzky to Kurri but I’ll take it

37. Gerta Rauss says:

Hall daring Stevie Y to leave him off Team Canada

5-3 with 10min to go

38. jp says:

Yzerman is watching, right?

Genjutsu: I see no reason not to give him another year.

Yes, agreed.

40. Genjutsu says:

HALL!

41. magisterrex says:

Oilers liked the idea of a two-goal lead so much they decided to try it again.

42. RexLibris says:

Can we somehow re-introduce the old Sather trick of getting coincidental minors to make it 4 on 4 for at least 20 minutes a game?

43. LMHF#1 says:

Marincin bails out Petry. And that’s not the first time tonight.

44. Pouzar says:

Brackenburied: That’s a dark period in my life. Don’t make me go back.
    I’ll qualify my comment with “recent performances”.

K done. :)

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Genjutsu: I see no reason not to give him another year.

We talked about this a couple weeks ago-as long as we agree we’ll bring him back as 4LW and pay him accordingly, sure.

46. fuzzy muppet says:

LMHF#1,

His reach is very impressive. If he figures out the positional part of the game and to play better angles, watch out. He’s earned a spot over Nultz IMO (small sample size duly noted)

47. LMHF#1 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    LMHF#1,

His reach is very impressive.If he figures out the positional part of the game and to play better angles, watch out.He’s earned a spot over Nultz IMO (small sample size duly noted)

Strong with the puck movement decisions as well. Shaping up quite nicely.

Marincin over 17 minutes now.

49. RexLibris says:

I have loads of time for Marincin. I remember watching Greene learn the NHL on the fly. I only wish he had a more veteran group under which to mentor. Here it is basically Ference and Nick Schultz.

50. RexLibris says:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned here yet, but I’m very happy for Finland after winning the WJs. Love that team and the way their IIHF squads always seem to carry a knife to a gunfight but give it everything.

51. Gerta Rauss says:

That’s a nice win against a good hockey club. Full marks for that win, they should be proud of themselves.

52. jp says:

Nice game. A win feels great, and against a good team too (imagine it must feel a whole lot better for the players!).

53. D says:

Nice win for the Oil. Now if they can replicate this for the remaining games this season . . .

54. RexLibris says:

Gazdic at 10 shifts and 6:57 TOI. Probably the perfect set up for him.

55. Pouzar says:

Genjutsu: I see no reason not to give him another year.

I sure hope he’s done.

56. Numenius says:

Very impressed with Marincin. He intercepted a lot of pucks with that long stick.

57. RexLibris says:

Yakupov getting as much ice time as Perron is a nice development as well.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

post game interviews etc:

59. FastOil says:

They looked like a normal team, a nice change. A couple more soild vets would make them competitive. I hope to Gord they liquidate this year and don’t let guys walk.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TOI is an interesting window tonight

Eakins gave his top 9 basically equal distribution of minutes. Marincin played a ton. 19 is still getting huge minutes, which given the season is over is maybe a good thing (?)

61. RexLibris says:

Re-watching some of the CAN-RUS game this evening and without knowing who was who (can’t make out names and don’t have the sound on) I’m drawn to #10 for his size, positional play, offensive instincts, size, playmaking, shutdown abilities and size. Did I mention his size?

Turns out it was Yakimov. Now officially a Big Fan.

62. Numenius says:

Gagner not bad in the circle tonight: 50%. Nuge at 47%.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris,

Slappy was 9… I logged those two early in the tourney to keep an eye on them. being 9 and 10 made it easier… it’s like they are tied together already.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I guess Gazzola isn’t going to broadcast the player interviews live tonight… the live feed is just the camera guy trying to centre Eakins’ shot in front of that Oilers drapery.

I hope that hot lady with the lip gloss does the sound check again.

65. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah, this was pretty much the only WJs I managed to watch.

Didn’t notice #9 as much as #10, but then you notice a grain elevator easily and it doesn’t move too, so there is that.

He had some good reads, breaking up some offense and then controlling down low and cycling the puck well. I hope he comes over to play AHL next season.

66. Numenius says:

RexLibris:

Turns out it was Yakimov. Now officially a Big Fan.

Based simply on WJC performance, I’d say that even just getting the 2 Russians (Slepyshev and Yakimov) instead of Zykov was a good deal. Both had more points than Zykov and were larger factors generally (though they also got more ice time).

Also interesting that for the last two WJC’s, the captains of the Russian squads have been Oiler prospects (Yakupov and Slepyshev).

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah, this was pretty much the only WJs I managed to watch.

Both appeared to be used in all disciplines and I saw both out there late in games chasing the lead or defending it. Often with Yakimov out to take (and often win) key faceoffs.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Score effects?

I thought it was closer than that.

69. RexLibris says:

Numenius,

I don’t put too much stock into making or not making the WJ teams and the numerical performances aren’t a guarantee of anything, in my opinion.

I try to watch for the small habits: anticipation, calmness, sense of timing and player positioning, so on and so forth. If a prospect can display those things then better things may later emerge.

As for Zykov over Slepyshev and Yakimov, it is playing the odds, really. Two prospects with strong skill sets, regardless of draft position, may add up to a higher overall success percentage than one. Besides, the Oilers have their home run players, they need to fill up on the on-base players now.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Score effects?

I thought it was closer than that.

I’m getting zeros for 5×5 Corsi close, that’s the ticket.

71. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Now the test is how do they fare in transition back to the KHL.

72. RexLibris says:

Saw that too. Laughed pretty hard thinking that’s the only kind of game that’ll make Eakins smile on camera.

73. Pouzar says:

Again, has anyone heard what Slepyshev’s intentions are RE: North America?
    I can’t get excited about this kid until I get the goods on his intentions.

Yakimov OTOH has got me excited. Just what this team needs and then some.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m getting zeros for 5×5 Corsi close, that’s the ticket.

43.4%

75. Numenius says:

Gagner (66.7%) and Yak (65.2%) with the highest CF% 5×5.

Then Perron (54.2), Petry (52), and Marincin (50). Then elevator shaft.

That Marincin fellow is making a case for himself. He wasn’t just playing easy minutes.

Romulus Apotheosis: Me too, but if you go down to the individual stats and look at Bryz 5x5close the answer is:

43.4%

Right you are. Well, they won but didn’t have the edge in play when the game was in the balance. It’ll be interesting to see Parkatti’s take on shot quality.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If you just look at shots (27-26 Tampa), it sure looks like we trailed off in the 2nd and 3rd after an explosive 1st…

Not brutal 2nd and 3rd, but definitely conceding possession.

Jason Strudwick ‏@Struds1260 59s

“@TSNRyanRishaug: Eakins says team is trying something new tomorrow. 8am practice. Odd..” This is a hidden curfew for the boys.

79. jp says:

Numenius:
    Gagner not bad in the circle tonight: 50%. Nuge at 47%.

Gagner with 4 takeaways as well and RNH with 2. That’s 6 of the 15 total takeaways in tonight’s game (by both teams). It may be a fleeting moment, but they almost looked like a 1C and a 2C on a team that could win some games.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On thing to look at in the numbers is the D pairings (I’m not considering quality of comp… bear in mind):

listed based on TOI (all 5x5Close)

Top Pairing (21-19) = 41.2% and 42.9%
    2nd (85-2) = 62.5% and 62.5%
    3rd (59-15) = 23.5% and 31.6%

21-19 are way out of their depth here. Neither can handle 1st pairing comp or TOI.

85-2 WOW!!! fantastic. that is a stellar number for 85 and 2 continues to prove he’s the belle of the ball.

Petry playing 2nd pairing minutes… music… now if only we had a bona fide top pairing…

59-15… sweet baby gord… I’m happy for Hunt, but he needs to go back down, 15 needs to be traded and we need to get Fedun back up here to play with Belov. good Gord those numbers are awful.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jason Strudwick ‏@Struds1260 59s

When is practice normally?

82. spoiler says:

The Tampas of this world we should beat most of the time. They don’t rodeo the way that reins in our young, free-spirited stallions. The way St. Louis, Anaheim, LA bust broncs. A big heavy game with a lot of defensive structure is the game the Oilers hate. Real spurs on those boots.

The kids are coming along. I know it looks bad so far this season, but Tampa is no easy 8 and while the Oil didn’t lay the spurs to them, they played a smarter game tonight and more importantly didn’t lose their shit or the bit.

It’s gonna take awhile yet before our kids can buck the big, heavy, fast defensive teams, none of them even have their man-strength yet for fuxsakes… So MacT needn’t panic. There’s time before this team needs to be loaded for bear, especially wince they’re raising the defensemen after the forwards. I’d say the year after next. So don’t get bent over by an horse-trading GM when looking to deal Gagner. And it’s a still process that takes time and requires that improvements are made all along the way… We wait.

Romulus Apotheosis: When is practice normally?

usually some time while I’m on the air, so maybe 11, 11:30?

84. Ducey says:

Nice start to 2014 for some Oilers prospects:

Besides the nice tourney by the Russians:
    Houck 3 games 6 pts
    Moroz 2 games 4 pts
    Chase 3 games 5 pts
    Kharia 2 games 2 pts
    Curtis Hamilton 2 games 2 pts 8 shots
    Gernat 2 games 2 goals
    Lander 1 game 2 pts +3

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: usually some time while I’m on the air, so maybe 11, 11:30?

Maybe Eakins has a lunch date with the wife?

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey,

was that absurd Muir goal late last season, or early this season?

87. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Maybe Eakins has a lunch date with the wife?

lol,,,I gotta get me a pair of those glasses. And one of those red shirts.

88. Ducey says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Ducey,

was that absurd Muir goal late last season, or early this season?

Had to be 2013. He has been shut out in 2013 in 2 games. Spent 12 minutes of one in the box for hitting from behind.

89. Andy P says:

jp:

90. Ducey says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Maybe Eakins has a lunch date with the wife?

Probably just wants to have another spin around the courtyard before the carriage turns back into a pumpkin, and Gagner and Arco back into mice.

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey: Had to be 2013.He has been shut out in 2013 in 2 games.Spent 12 minutes of one in the box for hitting from behind.

IIRC he’s off to college next year (or is it the year after?)… then we’ll get a much better picture of the player.

92. jp says:

Andy P: A good team but without their star player. But a win is a win, I’ll take it as compensation for one of our early season losses.

TB is 14-8-3 since Stamkos went down, still a solid team (and top 10 overall). I think everyone involved is happy with the win regardless! Keep playing like that and they’re not a 29th place team.

93. flyfish1168 says:

wow Duck team outshoot nucks 49-20 with 2nd period 20-3 and 3rd period 20-5. empressive

94. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Huh. interesting. I know he was suspended earlier this season too… sounds like the kid has some off-center in him.

The year after I think, so we’ll have to wait a while. An interesting draft and follow to be sure though. There’s quite a number of bottom of the roster types in the pipeline – some NHLers out of that group sure would be nice.

95. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

LT

I know that you think that dealing for more youth is bad, however.

I’ve been a huge fan of Boone Jenner since before the 2011 draft & became a fan fanatic at the WJC, I would like to know if a Gagner trade to CBJ could pry Jenner out of CBJ?
    I believe this kid to be the real deal, I think as time goes on (next year or two) you’re going to see a real solid two way player emerge, He’s big, he’s fast, ultra-competitive, has good offensive upside but his two way game is what really impresses me, he has a solid frame at 6’2 210 & isn’t afraid to get a little dirty, the perfect future 2C.

“I bet you Gagner isn’t the only one, and the chances Edmonton gets paid in full are not great. Dealing from weakness is a bad way”

I agree with that, at this point I honestly don’t think the Oilers can get a like type trade for Gagner, in fact I can’t see the Oilers winning any trade involving Gagner, certainly not for veteran help, so what should MacTavish do?

I look back to what Sather use to do; he always seemed to find that perfect trade were it involved a veteran for almost developed talent.

This is MacTavish’s only play IMO, finding that just under the surface player.

96. bookje says:

I really like the 8 am practice as a ‘hidden curfew’. Lots of people are hard at work at 8am and don’t get paid millions to do so. Day one, they may stay out partying, but after a week or so they will learn. Might as well do it this year when it doesn’t matter if you lose a week or two of productivity due to a tired team.

97. edwards_daddy says:

NHL Even Strength Points per Game (players over 30 games):

1. Crosby 0.932
    2. Hall 0.842
    ….. the rest

So is the Oilers’ mess of a powerplay costing Hall a place at the Olympics??

98. bookje says:

edwards_daddy:

So is the Oilers’ mess costing Hall a place at the Olympics??

99. jp says:

edwards_daddy:
    NHL Even Strength Points per Game (players over 30 games):

1. Crosby 0.932
    2. Hall 0.842
    ….. the rest

So is the Oilers’ mess of a powerplay costing Hall a place at the Olympics??

Well done Bookje, I almost missed that.

12-13 48GP 34 PP goals on 169 opportunities 20.1%(7th-tied)
    13-14 45GP 28 PP goals on 161 opportunities 17.4%(19th-tied)

The 8 SHG this year is ugly (vs 1 last season), but the goals for is not much different.

Powerplay = not likely. Oilers = likely. We’ll know real soon what the effect is.

100. Mesmer says:

I don’t really care who the Oilers trade, as long as they WIN the trade. Making a trade where you aren’t getting fair value is perennial loser insurance. The season was lost weeks ago and the time to panic has passed. The management of this team has never cared what the fans perspective is, so why should they bow to pressure to win now when there’s nothing but pride on the line? oh yeah… because Oilers.

I for one did not sit through that gord awful mess we’ve been witnessing for the last 8 years just to see the little bit of talent it helped us acquire get shipped out the door for pennies on the dollar.

« Older Comments