OILERS ACQUIRE PINIZZOTTO

The Edmonton Oilers traded Ryan Martindale today, offloading a 2010 entry draft selection who was unlikely to return beyond his entry level deal (which expires at the end of this season).

STEVEN PINIZZOTTO

Pinizzotto

The Hockey News has him as a RW, he’s 29 and 6.01, 200.  His best pro season was 2010-11 with Hershey (AHL) where he posted 68, 17-25-42 boxcars. He’s clearly tough enough to survive in pro hockey (21, 6-1-7 with 67pims this season with San Antonio) and has played 13 NHL games (all with Vancouver, 12 in regular season). The Oilers may have acquired him for depth when Tyler Pitlick is recalled, or the pro scouts may see him as being an NHL option.

Looking at his numbers, his age and his resume, I’d say there’s an outside chance he sees the NHL as an Oiler in the next few months. Pinizzotto is a free agent after the season, and gives the team added depth in the truculence department.

AHL Hockey: Oct 05 Barons vs Aeros Preseason

THE 2010 ENTRY DRAFT

We’re three years and a half into the process and I still don’t have much idea about Ryan Martindale. I think we have to define “success” when it comes to prospects and make sure that our definition (All-Stars, every damn one!) doesn’t get in the way of the human story (Ryan Martindale is a very young man trying to succeed in a supremely difficult industry).

I always felt there might be something there, in fact I ranked him #27 last month when ranking the top prospects:

• #27 C Ryan Martindale, Oklahoma City Barons (13, 1-4-5 -7). I refuse to believe he’s lost all that junior talent. Martindale has size and skill, and that’s what this organization needs in spades. I’m hopeful they give him a full shot, and if he ends up not getting a contract then at least you knew for sure.

Of course, that’s a fan’s view, the GM had already made his decision based on the scouting reports and input from the scouts/AHL coaching staff. Martindale wasn’t going to stay with the organization in 2013-14, so moving him along for another AHL player is the right call. With Martindale expelled from the Oiler organization, the remaining members of the 2010 Oilers draft (Hall, Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton, Bunz, Davidson, Jones) now count seven where there was 11. Two reached high level pro (Martindale, Kristians Pelss) one retired before turning  pro (Drew Czerwonka) and one (Jeremie Blain) was not signed and is in the ECHL.

The 2010 draft has three men who have played in the NHL (Hall, 214 games; Pitlick 3 games; Marincin 12 games) and could add one more if Curtis Hamilton can ever stay healthy. (photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

30 Responses to "OILERS ACQUIRE PINIZZOTTO"

Horak (Fedun, Pitlick)

Lander (Stretch, Fedun)

3. Ben says:

Just listened to the Batty interview from earlier today.

I would guess that there are only two of those “top ten in the world” type defensemen that *might possibly* (and yet probably not) be available: Subban, and Weber.

If one each of Yak/Eberle, 1st/2nd overall, Jultz/Petry gets you either of those guys….no hesitation.

As for last night’s trade…maybe MacT and Eakins are so obsessed with Wolves, Marlies and Oil Kings because they don’t trust a word the pro scouts are telling them about anyone they haven’t seen a bunch first hand.

Roy scored tonight, now 17, 5-13-18

Nurse with an assist, now 45, 10-30-40

Platzer with an assist, now 42, 10-10-20

Pitlick (Horak, Klefbom)

8. flyfish1168 says:

OSCAR KLEFBOM dressed tonigh,t 3 shots 1 assist, and 1 trip to the sin bin. I hope he will never get hurt again. He has had his share already for a young player.

9. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Pitlick (Horak, Klefbom)

I mentioned Pitlick yesterday…like what are we waiting for exactly? Get him up already MacT.

Moroz 2 assists tonight, now 44, 25-20-45

11. Captain Smarmy says:

Scherbak Vs Draisaitl and this time Scherbak came out on top. (Played fantastic)

12. flyfish1168 says:

Future Oiler Leon Draisaitl 1 assist tonight

Moroz up to 4 assists tonight, now 44, 25-22-47

14. RexLibris says:

I know I harped on this before with Chase, but those assists for Moroz are a big tell for me (2 primary and 2 secondary) as it isn’t just about “can he play with skill” but also “can he create with skill”?

And holy hell is Samuelsson ever having a night. Why couldn’t they have traded Reider for him? ;)

15. misfit says:

Have any other iphone users had experiences where certain threads/entries (not sure what the proper term would be) on here inexplicably close the browser completely? I can read this one just fine, and even use the comment section apparently, but whenever I open the previous entry, it almost immediately shuts everything down.

As for the topic at hand, Martindale was always a favorite of mine, but my hopes for him ever becoming an NHLer quickly faded away over the last few seasons, and I wouldn’t have qualified him in the offseason. If they have reason to believe the player they got back can help the Barons, then I’m all for it. Loved Martindale as a junior, was very dissapointed eith him as a pro. I hope the move helps his career as well.

16. RexLibris says:

I wonder if the development of Yakimov and the rumours of his coming to the AHL next season didn’t somewhat influence the decision to move Martindale for immediate AHL help?

Both are big, skilled centers, and Yakimov is already playing against men with success.

17. fifthcartel says:

misfit,

Yeah, that happened to me on my iphone. I think it had to do with the max number of comments on one page, because as soon as it carried over to the next page of comments came it started working fine.

18. OilLeak says:

I don’t understand the point of this trade, MacT is just shuffling deck chairs around. Are these trades meant to divert attention away the train wreck that is this team?

I don’t see how this trade helps OKC either, OKC shares a similar fate as the parent club this season. Just another grunt that can’t play hockey, I suspect an NHL call-up for Cam Abney is just around the corner.

19. RexLibris says:

OilLeak:
    I don’t understand the point of this trade, MacT is just shuffling deck chairs around.Are these trades meant to divert attention away the train wreck that is this team?

My guess is that he and Tallon have been talking, probably about Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, 1st round picks, Bryan Campbell, Dimitri Kulikov, the weather in Florida this time of year and the cost of Hurricane insurance in the peninsula.

This deal was likely the offshoot of talks they’ve had on other fronts that either haven’t yet materialized or just are meeting the other’s needs.

At least we know that MacTavish has Tallon’s number and knows where to find him. This is good news.

20. book¡je says:

The iPhone issue is a longstanding one. IF the thread does not have a video in it (the original blogpost by LT) everything works just fine regardless of the number of comments.

If there is a video in the blogpost, then for some reason after about 20-40 comments, it crashes iPhones and other portable apple devices. Sometimes you can read it, but not post (i.e. it crashes when you go to post).

If any of you are web geniuses and think you know a quick solution. Please feel free to suggest it. I have tried different browsers and various techniques from the iPhone side of things.

21. OilLeak says:

RexLibris,

Yakimov’s successes or failures should have no bearing on moves regarding Martindale. Yakimov is no more of a guarantee to become a player than Martindale. It’s an ongoing (loser) strategy this organization practices at the NHL as well.

“Boy Petry is sure looking good, we can probably trade Gilbert now”

Soon it will be
    “Marincin looks legit, we can get rid of that bum Petry now”

And on it goes, the wheels keep on spinning without ever achieving any traction.

22. book¡je says:

What I meant to say in my last post is that the iPhone thing is all Dallas Eakin’s fault and he should be fired for it. It was way better last year under Ralph Kruger! I mean it crashed just as often last year, but I just didn’t feel as angry about it.

23. RexLibris says:

book¡je,

Could this be at all related to the Apple/Flash issues? Or is it something perhaps tied to the new iOS?

This leads me to another idea. Lowetide needs his own app! I don’t know what it would do, maybe only shout out “I gotta lot of problems with you people!”, but whatever it is for, it needs to happen.

24. Young Oil says:

If this is just strictly an AHL move, it’s a fine trade, there’s absolutely nothing bad with building good trading relationships with other NHL GMs.

However, if Pinizzotto plays NHL games over Lander, Horak, or Pitlick in the coming months, then that would be extremely poor management.

25. Colieo87 says:

Buy any android device no problems. never owned an apple phone, I pod rotory style.

26. jp says:

RexLibris:

They would never have overlapped anyway (that is, I’m 99.9% sure the decision not to re-sign Martindale was made independently of Yakimov).

OilLeak:

The Barons are near the bottom of the standings like the Oilers, but only 8 points back of a playoff spot with 36 games remaining (the Oilers are 22 points back with 32 games to play. Sigh.). This is a move to help get the Barons to the postseason, and it looks like a good one to me. He’s a grunt at the NHL level, but a solid player in the A.

Side note: Pinizzo was + 40 in 69 GP in 09-10. The Hershey Bears destroyed the league that year, but he did lead the team in +/-.

27. denny33 says:

book¡je,

Glad I popped in ….could not figure out why IPad keeps crashing.

28. Jigger says:

If you use the Puffin browser it works great and doesn’t crash. There are also other cheaper types of flash browsers that you could use but I do know Puffin works.

29. book¡je says:

Jigger:

Thanks Jigger – that is great!!

30. russ99 says:

Jigger,

Interesting, I know apple devices prefers videos to be .h264 to play correctly, but it’s a bit shocking that blogspot would use flash components in their site in this day and age.

It will all be html5 within a year or two anyway.