OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS, G48 13-14

The Oilers are on the road tonight against Chicago, after thrilling the hometown fans with a win over the Penguins. It’s important to remember that this Oiler team are not road warriors, and that Chicago is a dominant team. A win tonight is too much to ask for, but more of that “thinking man’s hockey” we saw Friday night at Rexall would be a tremendous sign. Small victories are big steps, and cutting down on turnovers, going entire games without those chaos ‘chasing the puck’ shifts that result in a goal or a penalty, and effective play for 60 minutes are all good signs for this hockey club. That Pittsburgh game could be something to build on, or it could be a one game mirage during a season spent in the desert.

“THE PITCHERS ARE READING ME” ashley

This is Billy Ashley. He was a monster outfielder for the Dodgers and 20 years ago a big time prospect. Ashley lit up the PCL with homers and it was thought the big man would have a tremendous major league career. As it turned out, he played in an ‘extreme’ hitter’s park in the minors, and once all the air was let out of those numbers he couldn’t make enough contact to stay in the lineup.

Ashley had some amazing slumps during his big league career, one of which caused him to utter the hilarious “I think the pitchers are reading me” line. I think the Oilers may have that problem, certainly Ales Hemsky has (imo) been easier to defend all these years due to predictable moves. Hemsky will deke and pass 99% of the time, dump and shoot about 1% of the time. That’s a tell, and has had an impact over the years. Now, we know that possession is 9/10′s of the law and the zone entry data we’re getting now is brilliant, but a “controlled” dump once in awhile might open up the game for a fellow.

• Craig MacTavish on Taylor Hall: “He hunted down the forecheck, got it over to Sam, Sam back to Ference, through a simple play. Where before he would try and beat those two guys and take it to the net, turn it over and it would be going to the other way. So that is a big structural change in the game, the way that he’s thinking. When you watch good teams — and these are the things we are trying to impart on these players — you watch good teams. We went to New York and watched Anaheim play. Arguably the best line in the game is Getzlaf, Perry and at that time it was Penner, they’ve made a change since then. And I watched them play throughout the game and Perry had two chances to score the whole game, but he made the right play with the puck all the time. And that’s what we’re trying to impart on our players.”

A lot of this is working hard on the forecheck, but for me it’s always been galling to see Edmonton’s skill players driving right into the teeth of the defense. Send it into the corner, well placed, and then gain possession that way. Not all of the time, but at those times when the defenseman won’t give the zone (standing up at the blueline) and a one-on-one deke will leave the player exposed (jailbreak the other way). I’m not even suggesting Taylor Hall do it more than once in awhile, but being aware of the defensemen and calculating the risk/reward has value, and it’s nice to know the Oilers are asking their young guns to be open about new ideas. God love Ales, he never did do it much, and Robyn Regehr that rat bastard made him pay.

HAMILTON’S PUSH

Texas Stars vs. OKC Barons, Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK. 12-20-13

• Craig MacTavish: “We’ve got Curtis Hamilton who’s finally started to develop and take a turn. It looks like he’s going to be a player. He’s 215 pounds. He can get some zone time. Pitlick has started to develop. Marincin is here, he looks like he’s going to be a good player. He’s played well. Gernat has started to develop. So there are a number of guys. Klefbom, he’s developing. What we have to do now is we’ve got to get these competitive guys into our organization. I’m happy with the high end forwards. I believe that we very much can win with the talent level that we have. Now we have to develop the competitiveness.”

I’ve made this point forever, but we really do need to wait five seasons on a draft crop. The long and winding road needs to run its course, and even then we can never be sure. If we use that rule (5 years) then we can safely call the 2008 entry draft: Eberle home run, no second round pick, no third round pick, Johan Motin the 4th round pick is a regular in the Swedish League but played only one NHL game, Phil Cornet the 5th round pick played 2 NHL games and is trying to make it with another NHL team via the Charlotte Checkers, Teemu Hartikainen the 6th round pick played 52 NHL games and may get some more but is a draft success by any measure, and then Jordan Bendfeld the 7th rounder is out of hockey.

I honestly don’t know how we can be critical of Stu MacGregor’s 2008 NHL draft. Home run, wait two rounds, draft a couple of kids who end up getting a cup of coffee but don’t make the grade, and then a late round curio who had enough talent to get several auditions amounting to 50 NHL games. The 2008 draft was what we thought it was, with really no exceptions.

MONEYBALL

moneyball

• Craig MacTavish: “I want to make a deal. And every deal that I try and make is, especially if I’m going to lose a pretty valuable piece, I want to make sure we’re getting a piece back that is going to be a part of the championship team. Will I do some peripheral moves where guys that are just stop gap guys for us that will bring in somebody else that will be a stop gap guy, I’ll do. There’s probably a deal or two or so, probably one decent size deal and probably some smaller ones as the trade deadline comes about. My day is I come in here and I go through the Rolodex of GMs and try to figure out things that would make sense to both. I want to see continued development of our core group . I want those guys to continue to improve their decision-making. I want more gamesmanship out of them. We’ve got strength and conditioning. We have specific objectives for every guy. I want the coach to continue to instil the work ethic that he’s instilled so far. He’s building a much greater commitment to off-ice training and work ethic in this group. Ference has been an unbelievable resource and supporter of that.”

The bigger deals are probably for defense and added grit up front, the smaller deals are probably UFA’s for picks. Treena S. Oil had the Bruins scouting Nick Schultz and Anton Belov Friday night, and the Islanders looking at Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky, so maybe that’s Travis Hamonic or Andrew MacDonald and maybe that’s Brock Nelson, but there’s chatter out there.

And maybe the Oilers go on a roll and the trade talk dies away. I don’t think so, though.

HOW LAZAR

lazar

• Craig MacTavish: “(Aaron) Ekblad is the right-handed defenceman that seems like a book-end for Nurse. …There’s some good players. The type of player we need is a guy like Curtis Lazar, like that type of driver. He and Nurse are kindred spirits, they’re just good leaders and good foot soldiers, that’s the type of guy that we could use. We get Ekblad, that’s another big piece.”

I’ll tell you this: I don’t think the Edmonton Oilers draft Aaron Ekblad. There’s so much already in the system, and if he were the only option available, sure. However, the guy they’ll take—if they make the pick—is Leon Draisaitl.

A quick note to thank David Staples for his brilliant 4-part interview with Craig MacTavish, which I’ve quoted heavily here (and really didn’t touch the surface). It’s rare to get a wide-ranging interview with a management person that focuses on issues and questions that go beneath the surface, but Staples clearly did his prep and asked very good questions. MacT didn’t answer them all to my satisfaction, but he was extremely open and the overall feel of the series is a revelation. Thanks Mr. Staples, who by the way will be a guest on LDWLT tomorrow morning.

Barons photo by Rob Ferguson, Oil Kings photo by Lisa McRitchie. All rights reserved.

347 Responses to "OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS, G48 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Derek says:

Lucinius:
    Ah, Nick Schultz. Has no clue. Have to stop the pass across, period. When will the Oilers’ D ever learn the basics? Always stop the pass across. Leave the shooter to the goalie.

Nick Schultz is the worst D-man on the Oilers.. and that’s saying something.

He’s also the one that passed the puck to the Chicago defenseman allowing the quick transition.

2. Zelepukin says:

wtf are the lines now?

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Well if we can get one late we might have a punchers chance…

4. sliderule says:

We don’t want penalty

We want Ekblad .

5. Zelepukin says:

Nuge wizardry at hand.

6. Lucinius says:

That first powerplay unit also never learns.

You can’t score if you don’t shoot.

Passing the puck into the net is hard.

7. VanOil says:

a pass it into the net power play, is no power play at all

8. Gerta Rauss says:

sliderule:
    We don’t want penalty

We want Ekblad .

I see us picking in the 4/5/6 spot. I don’t think we have a chance at Ekblad

9. Lloyd B. says:

Who in Gords’ name is teaching Dubnyk to play goal on his knees. I get he is 6’7″ or so and when he butterflys he cuts off the bottom of the net as well as where his torso is but Honest to Gord that leaves the top corners wide open…all the time. I’m beginning to believe our goaltending problems are not the goalies but the coaching !! That third goal never happens if he is on his feet.

10. crude says:

Would be great to have a shot from the point. Every time (read: not so often) Schultz junior zips one in from behind the circles part of me thinks, ok, the dam is broken, bring on the bunches of goals.. but no the PP is just dam broken.

11. delooper says:

What’s the largest goal differential ever overcome in an NHL game?

12. G Money says:

Derek: Lucinius: Nick Schultz is the worst D-man on the Oilers.. and that’s saying something.

Can someone please explain WTF happened to Nick Schultz? Is it really possible for a veteran D man to degrade as fast as he has? My recollection:

- 14 games of trade year – plays a steady “calm feet” game, exactly as advertised

- RK year: OK defensively, but develops a “dog whistle” tendency that causes a ton of breaks the other way

- This year: literally, is a mistake waiting to happen every single shift. Every.single.shift. Every time he’s out there, I expect at least one bad thing to happen, and I’m usually right.

How did this happen? I understand he’s on the downside of his career – but he’s only 31. In theory, he should have another two years of competence before he craters.

I wonder if Eakins nightmares consist of having six Nick Schultzes on defense?

13. OilClog says:

Lloyd B.:
    Who in Gords’ name is teaching Dubnyk to play goal on his knees.I get he is 6’7″ or so and when he butterflys he cuts off the bottom of the net as well as where his torso is but Honest to Gord that leaves the top corners wide open…all the time. I’m beginning to believe our goaltending problems are not the goalies but the coaching !!That third goal never happens if he is on his feet.

It’s brutal, hopefully MacT does all the Oiler world good, convinced Ranford to right our ship in the crease.

14. gogliano says:

Gerta Rauss: I see us picking in the 4/5/6 spot. I don’t think we have a chance at Ekblad

Unlikely:

We’re more likely to finish 30th than 27th or lower. 28th to 30th is very likely by this point.

15. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss,

Those teams are already 8 pts ahead of us in the standings, and if you look at the schedule the oil schedule is only going to get harder. The last ten games of the season are for the most part guaranteed losses

16. OilClog says:

G Money: Can someone please explain WTF happened to Nick Schultz?Is it really possible for a veteran D man to degrade as fast as he has?My recollection:

- This year: literally, is a mistake waiting to happen every single shift.Every.single.shift. Every time he’s out there, I expect at least one bad thing to happen, and I’m usually right.

How did this happen?I understand he’s on the downside of his career – but he’s only 31.In theory, he should have another two years of competence before he craters.

I wonder if Eakins nightmares consist of having six Nick Schultzes on defense?

17. spoiler says:

CF-CA as 40-15 right now. Big D desperately juggling the lines in the last 5 minutes to find some bandage combo that won`t go all haemophiliac against the Hawk vaunt.

18. oliveoilers says:

Where has Perron gone? He hasn’t been himself lately. I don’t give a crap about him scoring, but when was the last scrum he instigated?

19. Factotum says:

G Money,

I was thinking the same thing. It’s kind of shocking – and more than a little sad – to see how far he’s fallen. I’m not sure he’s even going to be tradable at the deadline.

Two extremes of “good stick” and “bad stick” in evidence during that period, comparing D. Keith and N. Schultz. I actually wondered to myself if Nick would be any worse if he left his stick on the bench.

It really does make me sad.

20. oliveoilers says:

spoiler:

21. Gerta Rauss says:

gogliano,

leadfarmer,

We’ll see-34 games to play yet

22. VanOil says:

I have been in and out of the game and enjoying the odd Belgium beverage but to eye Yakupov’s minus 2 seems to have more to do with the awesomeness of the Chicago D (Duncan great stick Keith) and the not so awesomeness of the Oilers D (Nick should retire mid season Schultz).

Moroz with a goal and an assist tonight, now 43, 24-18-42 on the season.

24. Professor Q says:

If these broadcasters say “stick” one more time…

25. cabbiesmacker says:

Second to fourth at worst. Only team that look to finish lower are Buff and Cgy and Buff’s playing a bit better lately.

26. spoiler says:

oliveoilers: And the MacBlender(tm) is revealed in all it’s glory. Nothing like sticking to the plan.

Eakins was quite obviously forced off the plan. Only a fool would`ve have stuck to it, getting hammered like that..

27. icecastles says:

delooper:
    What’s the largest goal differential ever overcome in an NHL game?

I believe it’s 5-0, which has been accomplished a few times, most recently by Montreal a couple years back.

Sure as hell isn’t a 2-goal defect. Relax, everyone.

28. cabbiesmacker says:

OilClog: I would love hear MacT’s view on the Gilbert/Schultz deal, one of the ugliest ever.

He could explain the Smid trade at the same time. Would be either a veeerryyy long explanation or an extremely short one.

Not that Smid and Gilbert would improve things though. Naaaaaa

Now Marincin’s goal, good for the kid.

30. sliderule says:

VanOil,

The hawks feed showed Ebs coasting along as his man scored.
    That goal was not on Yak.

31. oliveoilers says:

oliveoilers,

oliveoilers:
    Where has Perron gone?He hasn’t been himself lately.I don’t give a crap about him scoring, but when was the last scrum he instigated?

There he is!

32. Professor Q says:

I suppose it takes two Hawks to take on an Oiler…

33. LostBoy says:

I wonder if Eakins nightmares consist of having six Nick Schultzes on defense?

Guys like Schultz tend to wear out all of a sudden. It doesn’t help that he’s been trying to play defense on a defensively hopeless team, but when the wheels fall off guys like him, it just happens. He’s at almost exactly the same mileage as Jason Smith when his tank ran dry. The elite defensemen can play heavy minutes yet ration the grind and abuse they take. The career 3-4 guys tend to play proportionally harder minutes because they lack the elite ability to separate people from the puck and turn it around. Schultz has just played his share of hockey. There’s no shame in it, he was an excellent defenseman for a lot of years.

34. jp says:

That was pretty.

Nice goal there, Hall from I believe J Schultz and Hemmer.

36. delooper says:

Hall!

37. Gerta Rauss says:

ahahahaha…..

38. spoiler says:

Hall with an inadvisable dipsy-doodle earlier in the zone, but finishes off a nice little passing play.

39. icecastles says:

Enough words cannot be said about Taylor Hall. We have a lot of very good players now, but it’s been a long time since we’ve had a true full-on balls-out superstar in Oilers silks. I content that Taylor Hall qualifies, or will soon.

40. Gerta Rauss says:

Was there a penalty called…why the whistle..?

41. Pretendergast says:

The announcers are genuinely boring on sportsnet, sounds like baseball announcing in the lazy days of summer.

42. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Now Marincin’s goal, good for the kid.

He`s got a helluva story to tell to his grandkids.

43. OilBuzz says:

Nice to have a goaltender now. Except the season’s lost

44. icecastles says:

Arcobello would be the story of the year if he could finish. Is it just bad luck so far? Is it a gift he simply doesn’t have, or is this something that is likely to develop as he gains NHL experience? He seems to get a lot of looks, but seems to have a hell of a time burying them.

Not that I’m complaining – if he continues to build off this season (and I see no reason he won’t), he’s a true gem, and a somewhat unexpected one.

45. spoiler says:

PRETENDERGAST

That`s a keeper.

46. sliderule says:

Nuge is our best pkr by far.

47. spoiler says:

sliderule: Nuge is our best pkr by far.

Perron didn’t have too bad of a shift.

48. Professor Q says:

Dubnyk has had quite the aggressive stick work tonight.

49. jp says:

This Hextall think isn’t working for Dubnyk.

50. sliderule says:

You can blame Stu for Schultz.

In oil change when Tambo asked him about Schultz he said he saw him good in junior.

Only the oilers.

51. sliderule says:

spoiler,

He is good to.

Gets the puck out.

Pretendergast:

great nick, just outstanding.

53. VanOil says:

I think I get it now. Eakins is playing the you can’t match our lines if we don’t have lines game.

Soft play by Perron there.

55. VanOil says:

Soft play by Perron there.

56. jp says:

That sucks.

57. delooper says:

jp:
    This Hextall think isn’t working for Dubnyk.

Maybe he just hasn’t Hextall’d hard enough yet. Break somebody’s tibia, that’ll get you some respect.

58. jp says:

delooper: Maybe he just hasn’t Hextall’d hard enough yet.Break somebody’s tibia, that’ll get you some respect.

It’ll take more than that for Dubey to get my respect back.

59. spoiler says:

jp: That sucks. Any word on what happened to Eberle? I’m watching the Chicago feed and they haven’t shown a replay or mentioned anything.

Got nutted from behind.

60. spoiler says:

VanOil: Chicago commentary are claiming he should not of been on because he was gassed from the previous shift.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t there, he just fanned on his clearing attempt a bit.

61. jp says:

spoiler: Got nutted from behind.

Nice. Is that an official penalty?

62. Colieo87 says:

Good game I like the pace. And our passes are clicking. I’m just in awe with Patrick kane sick hands very talented player. Envious.

63. spoiler says:

jp: Nice. Is that an official penalty?

Two minutes for the old “Casino Royale”.

64. Derek says:

Colieo87:
    Good game I like the pace.And our passes are clicking.I’m just in awe with Patrick kane sick hands very talented player.Envious.

Edmonton is playing against a team that played last night in the Eastern Conference and is getting outshot 500 to 2 and its a good game?

65. Zelepukin says:

welp, the biggest takeaway I got from this game was, if you’re a winger and N.Schultz is on the ice when you’re on, you’re gonna be pissed.

66. justDOit says:

VanOil:

Crazy like a dachshund.

67. hunter1909 says:

I really think oiler’s have turned the corner after beating the Penguins. I can’t wait for tonight’s game to start. 9:00pm right?

68. jp says:

Well, we got one good game. One win against a good team. What more can a fan ask for really? Right?

69. jake70 says:

Patrick Sharp with a slapshot at Gagner up by two. Lol.

70. jp says:

hunter1909:

Problem is you never know what’s around the corner. Enjoy the game.

71. Colieo87 says:

Derek,

Ya there passing and you can hear the clicks on TV. Usually typical guys try to beat two opposition and lose the puck. They just need to get more quality shots from the D and push in the blue paint. Instead of shooting from the dot and trying to push the blue paint. Bad luck on Dubbie poke stick the puck getting a penalty on the play with just coming off of one. It’s a work in progress I’m just trying to look at some positives in stead of being negative nacey like the first half of the season.

72. RexLibris says:

They mentioned on the broadcast that Chicago was 8-0-2 on the second night of back-to-back games.

Here’s what I took from this game (and for the record I wasn’t able to see the entire thing)

I like how the Oilers recovered from Chicago’s offensive chances.

The passing looked better to my eye.

Marincin was out in the final minutes with an EN, and held the puck in the zone on a clearing attempt making a level-headed play to keep it in the zone.

Oilers didn’t stop fighting as the clock wound down and the game was clearly lost. They kept pressure and possession for as long as they could and protected well when they lost it.

I think the pieces are largely in place and from what I have seen this merely reinforces to me that Gagner is the asset with which the Oilers can most easily part in order to address another need (defense, in my view).

73. sliderule says:

The positive is Marincin had another good game.

Ten games and he is plus 3.

I know that’s partly knowing when to jump on and off the ice but I like his game.

74. hunter1909 says:

I’m going to thank kevin Lowe and his excellent hockey operations which have given me untold riches in entertainment, fun, good times and more over the past decade.

Worrying about mere standings or the cup is obviously for shmucks, since Kevin has led us to the “post cup” certainties of exciting last place hockey. Already this year alonse I’ve been able to free myself from any idea of watching playoff hockey in record time. Now, the only worry is whether Taylor Hall decides enough is enough and tries leading the gang that can’t shoot straight to foolish young glory before Eklbad or whatever his name is called becomes available.

That game was a perfect example of what ails the Oilers.

1) 5 of 6 Dmen playing above their established NHL ability.

-21/19 are a very poor 1st pairing. They’re both trying, but against good teams, they get killed because neither are 1st pairing Dmen today. Maybe Ference was in the past and maybe Shultz in the future, but today neither is.

- 2/85 had another good game as 2nd pairing. Petry is a good 2nd pairing D. Marincin is holding his own, but a guy is playing 2nd pairing in his 10th NHL game Because Oilers.

3) N.Shultz/Belov are playing 3rds and not doing well at it. I’m willing to give Belov a bit of a walk (although saw him bad a bit tonight), but Nick Shutlz should not be playing NHL hockey at this point.

2) No one goes to the net. Rarely happens, and when they do, good things happen. When DD got pulled you saw 6 Oilers close to the boards and 5 Hawks inside of all of them. Nothing will happen when that’s where the players are.

Saw Gagner and N.Shultz real bad tonight. 93 kept laying the puck onto 89′s stick in great spots and he did nothing with it.

Saw Belov and Eberle bad. Eberle gliding the entire way on CHI’s 2nd or 3rd goal was just atrocious.

Refs were a little one sided, but that wasn’t the biggest problem.

76. Zelepukin says:

sliderule:
    The positive is Marincin had another good game.

Ten games and he is plus 3.

I didn’t keep track of what his oppositions were but at least he didn’t get undressed like Petry and Belov.

77. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: If MacT decides to keep the whole core together and wait for the young D to progress I’m picking another team to follow. I can’t do this for another 3/4 years.

I was awestruck by Yakupov being seen on the same ice as Kane during that last goal. Somebody really wants this tank to proceed.

MacT is too impatient for 3-4 years, but 1-2 is definitely on the cards. I’m already partial to any of the California teams other than the Kings who play ridiculously boring hockey.

78. steveb12344 says:

I really liked seeing Doobie channelling his inner Billy Smith, but he’s really gotta learn to be a little more discreet.

79. G Money says:

Woodguy: 1) 5/6 Dmen playing above their ability.

Oilers new theme song: “Who lit the dogs up? Who? Who? Who? Who?”

(A: Usually N Schultz and Sam Gauoniaix)

Despite setting the Corgi’s on fire in the second period, I liked the game from the team the rest of the time.

As far apart as we think these teams are, I honestly believe that if you swapped Schultz and Belov for Keith and Seabrook, the Oilers win this game handily.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you can never say “just” Keith and “just” Seabrook as they are both top rank players, but the point is: two players.

80. hunter1909 says:

Eberle is a guaranteed top 40 scoring NHLer, and some of you twits wants him traded?? Why? Because he doesn’t hit?

81. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

I think the oil have to decide between three weak defensive forwards.

One or two of Eberle Yakupov or Gagner have to be traded.

Even if you don’t get full value you can’t have that many small poor defensive forwards and win.

82. G Money says:

Woodguy: Marincin is holding his own, but a guy is playing 2nd pairing in his 10th NHL game Because Oilers.

If you didn’t know which player was which but were told that one of 15 and 85 was a rookie playing in his 10th NHL game and the other one was a veteran of 800 games with a reputation for steady defensive play, who would you guess was who?

83. G Money says:

hunter1909:
    Eberle is a guaranteed top 40 scoring NHLer, and some of you twits wants him traded??Why? Because he doesn’t hit?

84. hunter1909 says:

G Money,

Oilers should start playing Rammstein for every last one of their music needs. The locals won’t mind hearing it too much, and the rest of the league will find it offensive, then as the team progresses into contender intimidating as hell.

85. hunter1909 says:

G Money: I don’t want to trade him unless he brings back a 1D, but I did see him pretty bad tonight.

Eberle plays for the shitehouse team of the Western Conference. What’s he supposed to do other than score? Where are the other players, during his terribad moments? Since he’s in the range of an elite NHLer, and many of the rest of the team are technically sub NHLers, why not examine them, since they’re the real losers?

The fact is, the leading oilers are still very very young, and on any real team wouldn’t be facing the top opposition night after night.

86. jp says:

jfry,

Back to the Belov/Smid thing. I should say I’m not expecting Belov to be an “offensive” defenseman, more of a Petry type who can move the puck, play the 2nd PP if needed and put up 20-25 points per season. Someone who can contribute a bit of offense without necessarily putting up big points.

Yes, his numbers so far are similar to Smid’s, but he’s been adjusting to the league and has said he’s been asked to just focus on D thus far (though as you mention Smid has implied something similar). Sure, Smid can skate with the puck, but he has no clue what to do with it once he gets past the offensive blueline. We’ve all seen him skate it into the corner pointlessly. Great defender, but just lost in the offensive zone.

My suggestion that Belov is already bringing more offense than Smid was based on his 41 shots in 39 GP. Smid’s career high is 53 in his rookie season, and he hasn’t topped 50 since. No offense whatsoever. I’m not suggesting Belov is a better player, but imo he does bring more offense right now (by eye and by number), and l think he’ll likely bring even more as he gets more comfortable. Now about that playing defense thing…

Let’s keep this friendly, please.

88. RexLibris says:

Oilers are one point lower than the Flames and are three games ahead in the schedule.

Neck and neck to the bottom of the standings.

Picture this: the Oilers hold 2nd overall pick, one ahead of the Flames, and the day of the draft Brian Burke approaches MacTavish and Lowe to pitch a trade.

What I would give for a microphone on that conversation.

89. RexLibris says:

I’m looking forward to after the trade deadline as I think it will be at that point we can open up the topic of re-signing Belov with a little more clarity.

To date, I haven’t been completely sold that he needs to return, although I will admit this is currently influenced by the early development I’ve seen from Marincin.

Couple tweet by Mike:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 24m
    Marincin was also +7/-3 vs Toews. This follows up a night where he was ahead vs both Crosby and Malkin.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27m
    In a game where the Oilers only had a 36% Corsi%, Marincin led the team with 55% – +17/-14

That’s amazing!

Just watch MacT included Marincin in a trade Because Oilers.

2010 draft class looking up eh?

91. RexLibris says:

Jon’s player grades

Hemsky and Marincin are the standouts.

Clearly this team needs more Czechs and Slovaks.

92. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

Just watch MacT included Marincin in a trade Because Oilers.

2010 draft class looking up eh?

I get the cynicism, but I think it means that N. Schultz and Belov are that much closer to a new area code in March.

93. fifthcartel says:

Marincin good. Wonder how good he can be, or if it’s just Petry making him look good a la Willis’ tweet.

Woodguy:

2010 draft class looking up eh?

I’m doing my best to say nothing :-)

95. delooper says:

Jon’s player grades

But maybe if Hemsky didn’t score that goal and make Keith look bad, Keith would have slept through the game and the Oilers could have won!!! Darn that Hemsky!!!

96. jp says:

Woodguy:
    Couple tweet by Mike:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 24m
    Marincin was also +7/-3 vs Toews.This follows up a night where he was ahead vs both Crosby and Malkin.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27m

That’s amazing!

Just watch MacT included Marincin in a trade Because Oilers.

2010 draft class looking up eh?

It’s so weird. You just never know what you’re going to get with these young defensemen. Sometimes it takes 5 years to iron out the wrinkles (Smid), sometimes it never happens. Sometimes they walk straight into the top 4 and barely miss a step (Petry, and now maybe Marincin). Anyway, it’s great to see.

A few things:

1. The goaltending is bad. A year of bad goaltending is contributing to this draft pick.
    2. Marincin is having a helluva 10 games, and I’d love to crown him an NHL player, but the Oilers would be mistaken to assume he’ll be like this for the next 200 games. Prospects don’t progress in a straight line, and he’s still a prospect.
    3. This team badly needs Gagner to have some strong games. He’s closer to a buyout than he is to getting this team a value deal.
    4. MacT needs to send this team some help. This is cruel.

Moroz with 2 goals tonight, now 25 in 43gp

99. VanOil says:

A few things:

4. MacT needs to send this team some help. This is cruel.

1. What fixes the goal tending for next year? One big bet (Hiller/Miller) scares me more than two medium bets (Belov/Scrivens) but thats no sure thing either.
    2. A defense that is so deep that Marnicin & Kelfbom start in the AHL and Nurse in the OHL would be a dream. I can’t see past a nightmare.
    3. Fucking Kassian turned warts into tumors.
    4.THIS IS CRUEL

100. RexLibris says:

I decided to take a look at some d-men that have come up in trade talks here, compare them to the OIlers D as well as the class of the league (Keith, Pietrangelo) on Vollman’s player usage charts.

Interesting results.

The range was Campbell, Erhoff, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Martinez, Ference, Belov, Goligoski, Larsson, Meszaros, and Kulikov. Trying to provide some context on a number of fronts.

Gunnarsson looks like a really good Smid, and Pietrangelo and Keith stand out. But in terms of young defenders who might be a best fit and perhaps available for the Oilers, I think I’m going to start banging the drum for Kulikov, unless someone can offer me a reason not to.

Of the veteran defenders, Campbell looks like he’d be a great fit as well. Which in turn led me to check Florida’s Capgeek situation. Tallon has ten expiring UFAs. What’s the likelihood he goes on a deadline day bender and sells them all off for picks? The man has never met a draft pick he didn’t like.

101. RexLibris says:

And the Rockets beat the Hitmen.

That Myles Bell kid looks alright for a 6th round pick. Darn that Lamoriello.

102. book¡je says:

A few things:

4. MacT needs to send this team some help. This is cruel.

1. Absolutly – While many of us critisized MacT for goalie hunting, he was right (or he stressed ou Dubnyk thus making him bad by another narrative).
    2. You stop it with the ‘buts’. Marincin is going to lead us to glory!!
    3. He needs a good slap to the face. Sometimes this is how players react to having a stable contract. It looks bad, but I have high hopes.
    4. See #2 – it’s all good (we all just have to believe).

103. hunter1909 says:

IF I WAS THE COACH/GM/PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS:

1 – I’d sit or bench Gagner. Kassian’s nasty hockey hit has basically derailed his season. This year was my bet he’d break out, and would be happy to let him have another year provided he’s able to improve before the draft.

2 – Keep yaks away from the opposition top scorers. Even if it drops him down the lineup, because it’s cruel to see him on the ice with Patrick Kane. Perhaps next year, or the year after and the roles get reversed, imo.

3 – If trying to win, make Dubnyk the backup, then drop him in the offseason. If trying for draft position(my bet is they’re thinking THIS), then Devan’s the one. He’s taken the perennial “Who’s the goat?” title from Whitney in fine style.

4 – Trade away that Hemsky guy. Too inconsistent in a top 9 that’s screaming for certainty, but it’s really the cap hit. Let him star in Detroit, while MacT cleverly gets a defensive/goalie prospect in return.

104. Andy P says:

Lowetide: Let’s keep this friendly, please.

Hey LT did you remove the unfriendlies, or did I just miss them?

105. VanOil says:

RexLibris,

I am on board with with trying to get Kulikov. If Tallon moves him and MacT is not first inline it will be a sad day.

Kulikov and Gardiner would make next summers irrational hope not so irrational.

Andy P: Hey LT did you remove the unfriendlies, or did I just miss them?

I changed a couple of words.

107. gr8one says:

VanOil:
    RexLibris,

Kulikov and Gardiner would make next summers irrational hope not so irrational.

I still think I’d prefer another older/vet/calming/mentor presence back there that we can roll out while the young D we have coming mature and alleviate the pressure off of them.

My ideal would be something like Ehroff/Kulikov for next season, but I wouldn’t scoff at Gardiner either.

I totally agree with Kulikov though, I think he may be in that sweet spot of being able to “buy low” right now before he transforms into a really great D.

108. G Money says:

hunter1909: What’s he supposed to do other than score? Where are the other players, during his terribad moments?

However, I don’t think he can use that as an excuse either.

This team won’t win until it plays a 200 ft game, and the guys that have to be leading the charge to improve in that department and bring this team out of the shitehouse have to be the elite young skill guys.

We just can’t continue with them having as many “also in picture” moments as they do.

109. hunter1909 says:

G Money: However, I don’t think he can use that as an excuse either.

Eberle has been elite ever since the 1st day he scored that beauty on the Flames; goal of the season I remember. How many years ago now? He’s only human. Losing would crush me if I was a hockey player, and suppose people like to extrapolate themselves into their sports heroes – for reasons best left to asylum workers.

There’s bound to be an element of frustration as Eberle occasionally floats, but a similar soft Mike Bossy didn’t do too badly in cup final games.

110. fifthcartel says:

I always thought Gagner for Kulikov made sense but recently that may be changing.

Woodguy:
    Couple tweet by Mike:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 24m

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27m

That’s amazing!

Just watch MacT included Marincin in a trade Because Oilers.

2010 draft class looking up eh?

Just checked Extraskater and Mike’s site.

Young Marinicin managed to go over 50% against each of the 3 top lines for CHI.

He did this WHILE STARTING IN THE DZONE 66% OF THE TIME!!!

Seriously.

2 Ozone 2 Neutzone 8 Dzone starts.

I’m positive that Petry his really helping him along, but he just bested the top 3 lines on the Cup Champs starting at the bottom of the hill with little help from the forward group.

I know I like new shiny things, but don’t trade this kid.

Don’t.

Just don’t.

112. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Just checked Extraskater and Mike’s site.

Young Marinicin managed to go over 50% against each of the 3 top lines for CHI.

He did this WHILE STARTING IN THE DZONE 66% OF THE TIME!!!

Seriously.

2 Ozone 2 Neutzone 8 Dzone starts.

I know I like new shiny things, but don’t trade this kid.

Don’t.

Just don’t.

113. hunter1909 says:

G Money,

RE treating the 1st overall picks etc:

Like when you have a hot gf, you make allowances that make you wonder in big ways.

Your best friend’s sister is the one who washes your car.

Hemsky has a great personality.

114. gr8one says:

G Money: I don’t disagree that there are severe structural problems with this team (which we’ve discussed in detail on many threads on this blog), so yes, it would be very unfair to lay all of this on Eberle.

However, I don’t think he can use that as an excuse either.

This is truth.

I am a self admitted MacT supporter(thus far anyways) and I think firing Eakins would be a mistake, this team needs that continuity and the message needs to be clear going forward that they can’t keep losing and the onus lie on the coach getting fired to remedy the situation.

That being said though, it drives me crazy to no end seeing both the coach and GM go on incessantly about accountability and yet the only examples we seem to have seen of that this year has been put on Yakupov.

There have been many times Gags should have been a HS(healthy being used loosely when he first came back), as well as Eberle and Jultz. There were even a stretch of games that it could have been argued that Hall wouldn’t have suffered from a view from the press box as well. Maybe even Hemsky.

How many times did we hear in the pre-season from Eakins that the currency he has that he can withhold from players to ensure maximum effort every shift, is ice time, and yet that hasn’t seemed to be the case, at least to my eye.

Speaking of accountability though, I find it interesting that Kevin Lowe never seems to use that word.

Pouzar: I just don’t see them trading him. Heck they can’t even send down with the way he’s playing. It will be huge if we can pencil him for next year as a regular.

116. hoser313 says:

G Money:

I agree 100% on these points. Chicago did a good job of getting their favourable match-ups. Maybe the team needs different lines at home and on the road until the players get better and there no longer is a ‘soft minutes’ line.

I feel bad for Eberle on that Seabrook stick, though. He clearly wasn’t going for the puck.

On another note, Marincin didn’t get blown out by the toughs tonight. That’s impressive for a rookie. Obviously, he’ll make more mistakes again but this bodes well long-term.

Is it time to sit Nultz and bring up Fedun or Klefbom?

117. Henry says:

After this game I’ve seen enough of Nick Schultz. It’s one thing to go hard off the glass when under pressure, but he handled the rubber like it was a grenade with lots and lots of time repeatedly.

The Toews goal was a straight pass to Duncan Keith from the redline with no pressure. He couldn’t find someone to pass it to and could just shoot it deep. Back it comes for a clusterfuck in the Oilers’ zone.

After this (and a bomb to Hall’s skates on the left wall for another fine turnover) I was watching for him to try to redeem his play. The answer in the third was a no pressure breakout with the Oilers doing their swirl. Nick took his time and skyed it for the clock apparently to give Chicago an opportunity to come back again.

He’s playing himself off the team, I don’t know why. Two rookies on the blue is crazy, but so is playing Schultz every night until he gets his shit back together. Fedun should be called up and Belov put on the left side 3D where he belongs.

118. justDOit says:

RexLibris:

Neck and neck to the bottom of the standings.

What I would give for a microphone on that conversation.

“…and in this corner, weighing 310 lbs and wearing the shamrock green trunks, THHHEEEeeeee Providence Pounder… Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiian BUUUUUUUUUUUURKE!!!!!!!!”

119. hoser313 says:

RexLibris:

Neck and neck to the bottom of the standings.

The Battle of Alberta is back in a big way. May the best team lose….I mean, win…..of course, win….wait, no let me think about that….

120. CrazyCoach says:

Lowetide: It could be Marincin, but they’d be fools to trade him right now, or really even in the next two or three years.

I know its been a couple years since Marincin played here in PG, but the reality of the situation for that kid is that he is pretty tough mentally. You have to be mentally tough to be able to ride the iron lung from PG in the winter to Seattle and play for a really poorly run organization. He also had trouble communicating in English which was not ever addressed here as well.

I liked what I saw in the kid a couple season ago and I like what I’m seeing now. He really is improving a lot. Who know. Maybe in three seasons, he’s the rock solid 3rd D behind Nurse and Klefbom?

121. rickithebear says:

@ chi is one of the 5 expected losses we play the rest of the season.
    there are not many teams with better results against these five.
    We still have 30 games against the level of teams we went 10-2-3 since the changes in mid october.

122. rickithebear says:

hunter1909:

Twits?
    That is kind!
    Red from the 70′s show says it best.

CrazyCoach: I know its been a couple years since Marincin played here in PG, but the reality of the situation for that kid is that he is pretty tough mentally.You have to be mentally tough to be able to ride the iron lung from PG in the winter to Seattle and play for a really poorly run organization.He also had trouble communicating in English which was not ever addressed here as well.

I liked what I saw in the kid a couple season ago and I like what I’m seeing now.He really is improving a lot.Who know.Maybe in three seasons, he’s the rock solid 3rd D behind Nurse and Klefbom?

Either this is luck the size of a lottery win or Martin Marincin has some Keith Magnuson out of the box good to him.

124. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: I think that’s why you always have to see what you have before you trade the player, but in the case of Oilers defense, there’s just too many. the Oilers will trade some of them, and odds are that one or more will have a long career eventually.

All good points-but what’s the immediate plan then..?

I agree the Oilers will–and should–trade one of the D prospects, and it could happen in very short order.

We’ve got a bit of a glut of D coming through OKC, and they’ve got to make room for Simpson. It’s a good problem to have.

Klefbom is the guy I move. He’s got curb appeal,what with his size,skating and draft pedigree. He’s still got that new car smell as well.

Gagner and Klefbom should get you something nice.

Own his own he could also bring back a nice piece, or if they go whale hunting this summer offer the #1 and Klefbom and the other GMs will take your calls.

125. jp says:

Henry:
    After this game I’ve seen enough of Nick Schultz.It’s one thing to go hard off the glass when under pressure, but he handled the rubber like it was a grenade with lots and lots of time repeatedly.

We’ve all seen enough of Sr. In all likelihood he’ll be gone in the next 6 weeks for a pick. Sitting him isn’t going to help his value, so lets just suck it up for a while longer and hope he reels in a useful asset.

126. Gerta Rauss says:

jp,

Yes, agreed. I’d be thrilled with a 3rd round pick at this point.

Gerta Rauss: All good points-but what’s the immediate plan then..?

Gagner and Klefbom should get you something nice.

I can’t agree. The plan is to improve without doing something you’ll regret. Oilers record since game 20: 11-14-3—and that is progress.

As for Klefbom, we spent the last 12 months talking about how the 2010 draft was an epic fail, and now Marincin comes along and we’re afraid he’ll be traded. A year from now, we could be saying the same thing about Klefbom we’re saying about Marincin now.

I’m not saying keep all of the D, but for me Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and amateurs Nurse and Simpson should remain until the Oilers know what they have, OR get an exceptional return.

I don’t think Klefbom’s value is high enough to trade right now, and fear the same is true of Gagner.

128. Gerta Rauss says:

Sure, I’m not saying we give away Klefbom or Gagner for magic beans.

I just can’t reconcile how we upgrade a deficient NHL roster, without trading current pieces. Even if we draft Ekblad, that does nothing to the NHL roster come Oct ’14.

129. CrazyCoach says:

Lowetide: Based on early results, and they are early, I think we might be looking at something more. I’m looking at tonight’s game and he-Petry played the Toews line quite a bit and (as WG noted) they didn’t get the zone push. AND he was over 50%.

Could be a little of both. I know when I watched him play here, he was used against the other teams top guys who in those days were guys like Ty Rattie and Sven Baertschi out of Portland. He’s used to playing the toughs in junior so I’ve been surprised at his play lately as the timing and youth doesn’t jive with the normal developmental curve for a D-man.

Gerta Rauss:

Sure, I’m not saying we give away Klefbom or Gagner for magic beans.

I think they need to:

1. trade this year’s first round pick.
    2. deal Gagner for a more usable part if possible, if not, suffer through the season
    3. sign Hemsky
    4. NOT make a mistake on the goalie.

131. gogliano says:

Funfact: If the Oilers had last year’s very reasonable team save percentage (0.917), they would have allowed 39 fewer goals at this point in the season. They would have -4 goal differential instead of -43, besting last season’s 48 game differential of – 9 by 5 goals.

It’s true that we’ve had the opportunity to play the Eastern Conference this season, but the early schedule thus far has also skewed in favor of road games–call it a wash. This would place them 16th in the league in goal differential. Take that -4 differential and we’d be in playoff contention at the moment. Probably sitting about 10th in the very tough Western Conference.

I say keep the high pick and all the top kids sans Gagner and fix the goaltenders via other means. Don’t rush it. This year and its 0.891 team save percentage (!!!) was mostly a fluke and having young kids on value contracts for years is one of the few competitive advantages this team can have. Appearances to the contrary, we were Ben Bishop away from being a playoff team this year.

132. VanOil says:

Lowetide I think they need to:
    1. trade this year’s first round pick.
    3. sign Hemsky
    4. NOT make a mistake on the goalie.

1. It would be cruel to the current players not too.
    2. Gags + Dubnyk are both devalued but might add up to some thing ~ I would genuinely wish them best luck in future endeavors.
    3. Hemsky Yes please. Trading for Lazar and then resigning him in the summer would also be acceptable.
    4. Crap shoot city. I can’t think of a single available talent that is as sure of bet as Cory Schneider. For what may be available this summer I would go for Volume versus Price and Reputation.

133. Thiru says:

Holy balls Nick Schultz!!!

You know, I’ve been banging the get-rid-of-this-guy drum for a long time, but tonight he was putrid on top of his usual ghastly self. His normally malodorous game was rancid tonight.

This guy singlehandedly sabotages breakouts and — like that JT song “Mirrors” — makes his D partner look every bit as terrible as him.

Pressbox/DFA/trade this wanker now, please, and then call up Fedun. You know, the guy who broke his leg and is now one of the top d-men in the AHL.

Yeah, that guy.

134. Ryan says:

Yes, Marincin’s the head scratcher.

Billed as a a tall, lanky offensemen with a bit of chaos incorp in his game…

So far no points which is not surprising given only his first 10 NHL games, but he’s +3 on a terrible hockey team. I haven’t seen the chaos side so much either.

He’s already looking like our 3rd best dman on the Oilers which also underscores how bad our d corps is.

Lowetide: I think they need to:

1. trade this year’s first round pick.
    3. sign Hemsky
    4. NOT make a mistake on the goalie.

1) You don’t trade the 1st round pick fi a) Ekblad is sitting there b) a future 2nd line centre is sitting there. (If Ekblad is sitting there, you can trade Klefbom). And you don’t trade the pick before draft day, when 25 teams will be bidding for the pick, rather than the trade deadline, when 5 will.
    2) I have no issues with trading Gagner. He has not made himself indispensible.
    3) Trade Hemsky at the deadline. Replace him in the free agent market this summer, or trade for picks now. Trade picks for a replacement at the draft.

Meanwhile, three years in, Eakins’ coached Jake Gardiner still has defensive chaos all over his game. Ditto Paul Ranger.

137. jp says:

godot10: But we know Marincin wasn’t Keith Magnuson out of the box, since we all saw him at OKC last year, where he was coached (by the coach who the GM didn’t think even deserved an interview when he decided to impulsively hire a new coach).

Meanwhile, three years in, Eakins’ coached Jake Gardiner still has defensive chaos all over his game.Ditto Paul Ranger.

That’s a convoluted way to get to Eakins bashing. Impressive.

Eakins definitely messed up Rangers development.

Todd Nelson had undrafted Marc Arcobello for two and a half years, and he looks like an NHL player.

Dallas Eakins had Nazim Kadri for two years, and he had 20 good NHL games, and looks like Sam Gagner the rest of the time defensively.

But then MacT taught Sam Gagner how to play defense his rookie and sophomore NHL seasons, so maybe that’s why MacT thought Eakins was his soulmate.

Ryan Hamilton is very mediocre in the AHL. Hartikainen is killing it in the KHL. Hamilton can’t carry an AHL line, whereas Hartikainen could. Another big Eakins’ win in player assessment. Hey, but at least Eakins’s has found a future son-in-law.

Just listened to the Eakins’ post-game. His mind was boggled that Chicago would come out hard for the 2nd period (after a lethargic first period on a back-to-back, road-to-home), and admitted he said nothing in the dressing room between periods to prepare his team for that.

Totally oblivious to the tactical situation.

141. Lucinius says:

godot10,

Seriously?

Wow. Yeah… that’s.. just, wow.

142. Hammers says:

McT traded for or signed Gordon , Ference & Perron . Hall , RNH , Yak , Ebs & J.Schultz should be untouchable . Marincin, Klefbom & Nurse should be safe . The truth is everyone else is tradeable . Would I keep Petry & Hemsky ? probably but will McT . Some moves are needed as much for showing these players named that the team is trying to change the mix .Eakins is here so get used to it . Can we move up to 25th or 24th ? Yes and that is why #1 needs to be traded . Package Gags & #1 for Something .

143. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

G***t has sort of taken over Dee Ess Eff’s old mantle. We mostly just ignore his rantings now and leave him to have conversations with himself (Judging by the fact that 5 of the 6 posts before yours were all the same troll, I don’t think he’s noticed yet).

144. russ99 says:

Yet again, dumping vs. the elite teams of the west is an exercise in futility. We just don’t have the horses to do that.

I’d really like to see any adjustments by the coaching staff during a game, not this singleminded “we’re playing this way” mentality run into the ground win or lose.

Ironic that we scored our goals on Hemsky’s individual created chance and Schultz’s pass in an area where most fans want a shot.

145. book¡je says:

icecastles,

D.S.F. Had trolling down to an art. No doubt, the site is much better when he is not commenting, but he was inpressive in his ability to suck people in.

« Older Comments