OILERS AT CANUCKS G55, 13-14

The Oilers last gave us a pleasant surprise early this month and it might be awhile before we see another. Or not. There seemed to be a glimmer of hope in last night’s game, a sense of freedom, a time to wheel and a time to smile. Not quite graduation day, but maybe a weekend furlough.

OFFERED WITHOUT COMMENT

eakins smiling colbertThere were a lot of positives last night, I thought the Nuge-Hall-Eberle line was flying and Justin Schultz wasn’t far behind. Yak Yakked, the 3 and 4 lines rolled and the blue looked good. Ben Scrivens looked great. Now, do that 15 more times between now and the end of the season and Dallas Eakins might get some of his hair back. I was happy for the coach last night, can’t imagine the pressure he’s under at this time.

THE BOXCARS

top 15 scorersTaylor Hall is among the 15 best scorers in the NHL this season. It’s been a difficult season for Chance, but there’s just too much talent here. The Oilers are blessed with many outstanding players, and honestly I don’t know if Hall will lead the team in points more years than Nuge or Ebs or Yakupov. I do know he’s a brilliant Edmonton Oiler, and enjoying his wonderful hockey is one of the extreme pleasures available to us these years. That top line is the best since Weight-Smyth-Guerin, and by the time they’re through we might be talking about that trio as one of the best in team history.

hemskycapture

KEEPING HEMSKY

I can’t think of one good reason to trade Hemsky. Oh hell I know Yakupov and Eberle are the future on RW, but they could move Hemmer to LW and he’s played well in a third line role this season. You can’t pay him $5 million next season, but perhaps $3.5 times 2? I think we have to remember that he’s not 35 years old, and could hang around long enough to raise Stanley (are we even allowed to say that word anymore)?

TRADING HEMSKY

They’re not going to get enough for him. I think MacT will shop 83, but if we’re to believe the past Hemmer didn’t attract high value a couple of years ago (Lowe ended up signing him) and his point totals have been going down since the draft picks arrived to take the heart of the order. It’s going to be a disappointing return. Ottawa may be interested.

smyth moose jaw

RYAN SMYTH

Ryan Smyth tied Wayne Gretzky for all-time PP goals by an Oiler (125), he is one behind Glenn Anderson for the lead.

• Smyth“To even tie a record with Gretz is obviously an honor. I’ve played a little bit longer than those guys (Gretzky and Anderson) here, but needless to say, those guys are Hall-of-Famers, great players that grew the game to where it’s at today.”

TRIO

schultz justin

Justin Schultz appears to be back to last year’s levels. At the beginning of the season, Schultz’s offensive numbers were fine but his coverage issues ended up in the net too often (this was a result of wonky goaltending, but Schultz isn’t Lidstrom defensively either). In November, he suffered a groin injury and (as was mentioned by I believe Spoiler last night in the comments section) has taken a long time to recover.

That said, he looks better recently, and that gives Edmonton three good defensemen in the ‘yout’ division for the next several years. In Schultz, Jeff Petry and Martin Marincin, the club has three players they should be able to count on, and a solid mentor in Ference who will probably play with all the new hires on the third pairing.

MacT’s choice of top pairing defenseman to add to the trio is a huge deal. If he chooses wisely, this thing could be fabulous long term. Keep Ekblad and Nurse in junior another year, bring Klefbom or Fedun or Gernat up as warranted, and start moving up the standings in a real way.

CALLUPS

Oscar_Klefbom_062812_(1_of_1)_thumb

Ference being hurt and all, I wonder if we see a callup this week. Reports on Oscar Klefbom have been encouraging, and it might be an idea to get him into a game before the Olympic break. Chances are he’ll be part of the team after the trade deadline, so a cup of coffee now would be a good way to begin the process.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

margret1

It’ll be a fun show today, 10 this morning on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Tyler Dellow, mc79 hockey. We’ll talk about that top line, the value of good goaltending, zone exits and entries.
  • Travis Yost, Hockeybuzz. The Senators had their version of ‘the Shift’ on the weekend, and we’ll talk about the Senators position in the standings. It isn’t good.
  • Noah Love, National Post. Trade deadline, Leafs and Reimer, and hopefully Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Kady Hobbins, Puckrant. Kady wrote an article the other day that’s worth talking about in relation to the Oilers and their season.

@Lowetide_ or 10-1260 on twitter today. Hope you tune in!

313 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G55, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

Lucinius: Ladd is a great player. He isn’t, however, a “legit 30 goal scorer” because he’s never done it. Nor is he on pace to do it this year (he’s on pace for what? 18 or 20 goals this year?). Also, at 28 he’s unlikely to see a big boost in his ability to score, as he’s at or near his peak already. Sure, maybe on a team better than the Jets he could hit it, but its hardly a guarantee.

Just one more example of Kypreos being a blithering idiot, honestly, than anything else.

That said, he’s a player I’d love to have on the Oilers, but a legit 30 goal scorer he is not.

Thank you…you said everything I wanted and more :)

2. Ice Sage says:

Man, Canucks ain’t what they used to be.

3. Derek says:

Yakupov is a gem.

Needs a shave though.

4. fuzzy muppet says:

Marincin’s reach is manna from heaven. It stops so many troublesome chances

5. Pouzar says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Marincin’s reach is manna from heaven.It stops so many troublesome chances

Yup…and we got some more wingspan…well…in the wings

6. spoiler says:

4 on 4–unbelievable.

7. Ice Sage says:

Oilers sticking up for each other?
    Playing gritty and smart?
    Lulling opponents with patient defensive play?

Who is that in the Eakins mask???

8. Halfwise says:

Who could like this Vancouver team? Seriously.

9. Lucinius says:

A winter classic in March? In Vancouver?

Really?

10. flyfish1168 says:

Halfwise:
    Who could like this Vancouver team? Seriously.

Starting to hate the nuck more the the flames.
    More dirty than gritty

11. Derek says:

I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that every SC against tonight came with Potter and Belov on the ice. Marincin and Petry are doing their thing, J Schultz looks like a new man and N Schultz looks like he doesn’t know hes Nick Schultz.

12. B S says:

A tap on the back then he’s flying face first into the boards (from his knees before Yak even touched him), stays down unmoving for a few seconds then miraculously gets up when play keeps going, what a dive. Then Hamhuis picks on the 5’11″ sophmore for being near the diving SOB, the Oilers might be incompetent or pathetic, but at least their players aren’t that classless, the Canucks are disgusting.

13. Pouzar says:

flyfish1168: Starting to hate the nuck more the the flames.
    More dirty than gritty

That happened for me about 8 years ago

Lucinius:
    A winter classic in March? In Vancouver?

Really?

Christ. The Canucks aren’t in it? That’s harsh.

15. jp says:

flyfish1168: Starting to hate the nuck more the the flames.
    More dirty than gritty

Definitely agreed.

16. Halfwise says:

I don’t mind if there’s a whistle every 20 seconds right to the end..

17. spoiler says:

I’ve always remembered the Canucks as being especially talented at offsides.

18. Lucinius says:

Well, my bad. Its a Heritage Classic, apparently, not a winter classic. Being held in a building that likely can’t keep its retractable roof open in bad weather.

Granted, “bad weather” shouldn’t be a concern in Vancouver…

19. jp says:

I like that no one is stapled to the bench in this 3rd with a 1 goal lead. If anything the “checking line” isn’t playing much…

20. Derek says:

Oh dear. J Schultz with a bad shift there, beaten wide by Higgins then a give away up the middle.

21. Zelepukin says:

I can’t get enough of the Marincin/Petry pairing. Marincin is a beast. Easily our smartest D and quickly becoming our most reliable. It actually pains me that they are rarely matched with the Nuge line but also makes sense to pair with our 2L.

22. Kitchener says:

With only one Sedin playing, my 3rd period anxiety is way below normal.

23. jp says:

Good Gords.

24. Derek says:

Wow. Watch a dogpile for 5 minutes ref.

25. spoiler says:

Almost had to yell “Drink” again but Burrows Jarret Stolls one dead centre off the post.

… How is that scramble not blown dead earlier?

26. Pouzar says:

OMG the ref did his best to not blow the whistle there

27. B S says:

Man even the Vancouver broadcast couldn’t figure out what ref was waiting for.

28. jp says:

Pouzar:
    OMG the ref did his best to not blow the whistle there

Did he also push the net from behind to keep it from coming off? While not blowing the whistle?

29. Lucinius says:

Pouzar,

To be fair, generally refs blow the whistle too early. If he could see it loose.. he did the right thing. Just not sure how he could see a loose puck when we had half a dozen people in our crease. No goal, so I’m good with it, but god damn. I want us to win this one badly. I loathe the bloody Canucks.

30. B S says:

Why can’t Bryz save us a game for once?

31. fuzzy muppet says:

I love the fact I’m on pins and needles for a meaningless game. I can’t wait until they actually play some meaningful ones

32. spoiler says:

HATTRICK BABY!!!

33. Ice Sage says:

Perron strips Kassian – gravy!

PERRON!!! Three goals! Oilers two wins in a row!!!!! Holy crow!!!!

35. G Money says:

HATTIE!

36. Gerta Rauss says:

hahahahahahah…

37. fuzzy muppet says:

89 is playing himself back onto the team

38. Marcus Oilerius says:

Holy cow, I had a feeling Perron wouldn’t be denied and there he goes.

Great game.

Eakins should have eased off the system play a bit earlier!

39. Lucinius says:

Well done Perron! Well done Kassian!

40. G Money says:

WE BEAT A PACIFIC DIV TEAM!
    WE BEAT A PACIFIC DIV TEAM!
    WE BEAT A PACIFIC DIV TEAM!

PLAN THE PARADE!

What?

Oh.

Damn.

41. spoiler says:

So nice to have an insurance goal before any final minute hullabaloo.

42. jp says:

Wow. They actually pulled out the win. Didn’t really expect it till the ENG.

That’s 48 hrs now. Hockey is still fun (OK, like, 26hrs).

43. Halfwise says:

Le trick de chapeau!

44. stevezie says:

Good for the frenchman. Garret not too thrilled with Kassian there.

45. Ice Sage says:

B S:
    Why can’tBryz save us a game for once?

I think he was great on the nucks last surge – did his job and the team won. wow

46. Gerta Rauss says:

A welcome sight indeed.

I swear that team in white looked like an NHL team

I’m pretty sure anyway

47. G Money says:

Winning is awesome, but hoping the Sabres and Phlegms go on winning streaks too …

48. D says:

Beating the Canucks is no small matter. The Oil are actually starting to look like a regular NHL team now.

49. Pouzar says:

Gagner’s best game by far.

Winning is cool.

Winning streaks are awesomer!

50. jp says:

fuzzy muppet:
    I love the fact I’m on pins and needles for a meaningless game.I can’t wait until they actually play some meaningful ones

Yeah, I’ve realized over the past month or so how little decent hockey it takes from the Oilers to get me excited again. Not sure what I’ll do if they’re actually winning.

51. G Money says:

OK, I saw the weird look away from Gagner on the celly by Perron, just like with Yak last night.

Maybe it’s not a diss – maybe Gagner just has the same celly instincts as he has defensive instincts.

52. AZOIL says:

Nice wins back to back! Go oilers! Maybe they should have traded that no. 1 pick last week! )

53. Kitchener says:

Solid win. Both goalies now with a win in their last game.

Not sure what’s more satisfying: Oiler win or Canuck loss.

54. jp says:

Ice Sage:
    Perron strips Kassian – gravy!

It’s great that he’s staying disciplined (and not fighting Gazdic) so he’s on the ice for those key plays.

55. Pouzar says:

Nothing less that 4 – 1st rounders for Gagner now.

56. Ice Sage says:

G Money:

57. spoiler says:

Now if Chicago will only pony up a 3rd for Bryz to replace the injured reKhab for their Cup run…

58. Pouzar says:

Man if we can just acquire some top end D it will go a long way next year. Belov and Potter?? Yikes.

59. JonyPro says:

Kitchener,

Canuck loss of course!

60. AZOIL says:

Why does everyone wanna trade Bryz, and if so what are your plans? Bet the farm on Bivens? Shouldn’t we let the two play it out a little, see what we have? Are you suggesting get a true number 1 UFA then?

61. B S says:

Kitchener:
    Solid win.Both goalies now win a win in their last game.

Not sure what’s more satisfying: Oiler win or Canuck loss.

Canuck Loss. The win is fairly meaningless for the Oilers (though definitely appreciated), but the Canucks are fighting to stay in the playoff race. Only thing that could make this season worthwhile would be seeing Vancouver miss the playoffs (and Hall go +30 with 30 goals from now to the end of the season, making Hockey Canada and Lindy Ruff look like the @$$hats they are while they wander Russia aimlessly and medal-less).

62. Colieo87 says:

Oilers still technically eliminated right?

63. flyfish1168 says:

Priceless if nucks miss playoffs

Yak has awesome photo on TSN. Great to see the kid all smiles on any celly

64. ASkoreyko says:

Ice Sage: Maybe he’s just protectibg his jaw? Best defensive game by far – always hustling and hunting on the backcheck – me like.

I agree and think he is prob protecting his jaw. I am sure it is still a bit sore and doesnt want to take any additional bumps to it. I don’t think anyone could ever claim Gagner doesn’t care about this team.

Either way we now know its not some weird Yak hate, so we can stop obsessing over it. Plus Yak keeps playing like this and everyone will be his best friend.

65. dangilitis says:

Everybody made a big deal about Yak and Gagner celebration last night. I am pretty sure they were sticking up for one another tonight. Those 3 ate up the softer competition tonight like they needed to do. 2-3-4 lines really doing their part the last two games. Yes, the season is lost, etc., etc. But to me, the wins are not as substantial as finding a capable 2nd line, and ideally internally. If Gags, Yak, and Perron can continue playing this well, that is a BIG deal and makes things a lot easier for the GM going forward.

66. Colieo87 says:

92 points if we go 27 straight Ya I don’t see that happening. This isn’t the Oakland athletics. Lol plus I think the cut off ceiling will be higher.

67. Oilanderp says:

*clears throat*
    *steps to the podium*

SUCK IT CANUCKS!

*gathers his cue-cards*
    *quietly leaves the empty gymnasium*

68. JonyPro says:

AZOIL:

I agree with you, Bryz and Scrivens look far superior to what we had in the beginning of the season. It was a bit of a goalie shuffle throughout the season but with these two it seems watchable at least. I would like to see both of them next year if nothing better comes along, which I doubt it will.

69. oilersfan says:

Marincin around 63% corsi again

Can somebody explain to me relative corsi? Thanks

70. spoiler says:

Good, smart, disciplined hockey. Reborn Gagner and an awakening Yak

Buy-in from all the players.

A newfound physical confidence from the presence of Matt “The Showrunner” Hendricks.

Coach giving his thoroughbreds the zone push.

Hall on the point on the PP and a one-two punch of Smytty and the Finn in the crease.

A 4th line that can push the puck north and even add a goal or two.

Goaltending.

Someone please check whether Lowe has been fired as POHO. This cannot be,

71. teddyturnbuckle says:

Suck it Canucks!!!! Especially Kesler after beeking Nuge. You are so tuff Kesler challenging Nuge every game. In a couple of years Nuge will own your ass.

72. Nuckout says:

Colieo87:
    92 points if we go 27 straight Ya I don’t see that happening.This isn’t the Oakland athletics. Lol plus I think the cut off ceiling will be higher.

Aside from the obvious higher draft pick, The best case scenario at this point would be finishing anywhere outside of the bottom 5-7 teams, if only for the sake of salvaging any pride for the hockey club and the fan base. Fans would have at least a shred of hope for next October. That’s pretty much what you’re gonna get this year at best.

The Lowe sideshow will go away eventually, but it smacks of the Isles circa 1995. Lowe had nothing to do with the last 2 games, and will have nothing to do directly with the team’s future resurgence, which WILL happen. Eventually. Maybe 2016. Someday.

73. flyfish1168 says:

nucks have 3 players I truly hate, kesler, bieska and kassian. Unfortuantely they are probably the type and the 3 players that we can use to make us a better team instantly

74. spoiler says:

Nuckout: Aside from the obvious higher draft pick, The best case scenario at this point would be finishing anywhere outside of the bottom 5-7 teams,

At 17-6-4 there’s only a 25% chance of finishing ahead of the bottom 5. At 17-7-3 12%. Pretty remote.

75. vangolf says:

That was a team that we could all be proud of tonight. This is all I ask.

76. Nuckout says:

spoiler: At 17-6-4 there’s only a 25% chance of finishing ahead of the bottom 5. At 17-7-3 12%.Pretty remote.

Yeah, that’s pretty remote. I can see a late season push happening however. We’ll see some better wins and better hockey, and the core of the group for next year is going to reveal itself amongst any acquisitions at/before the deadline. If Eakins can pull them out of mediocrity and into lower than average, he may be able to get the buy-in from the players moving forward.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs

Larsen
    ?
    ?

Scrivens
    (bryz?)
    Bachman

Hemsky, Nick Schultz, Potter gone.

Gags, Smyth, Bryz maybe gone. I really want to see Smytty play at least one more year on an above .500 team. At LEAST. Bryz? I honestly can’t predict his future right now, as I think he’s still got something, and Bachman is the closest to the backup job, and who knows if he’s ready, or if Scrivens if ready to take the reins.

If I was MacT, That’s the minimum I would be looking at for change for next year.

77. Oilanderp says:

Gillis must Go! oops sorry wrong blog

78. Zelepukin says:

It would definitely be nice to see Hemsky slot in place of Jones on the 3L. Although that line is currently grinding it out, you could argue that only Horcoff could out do those three in a hands-of-stone competition.

79. spoiler says:

Are we still trading Gagner?

Would everyone* be happy if MacT had a deadline that featured:

Smytty to a Cali team in a bidding war for a 3rd.
    Bryz to Chi-town for a 3rd?
    N. Schultz to Boston for a 3rd?

And we park the Pequod till this crop of prospects get picked and look to improve the point post-July 1?

Does Hemsky make it through the deadline? Or does MacT prefer this “heavier” look, especially if they go on a winning streak? I’m leery about trading this player and not getting more than a 2nd rounder back. Is that enough? If the Oil don’t give him a nice offer, does he check the market?

80. Lois Lowe says:

Thank the Gords the Oilers needed that game. It is surprising to watch not awful hockey. Let’s still fire everyone and trade everyone and nuke Kingsway from orbit just to be safe.

81. spoiler says:

A .500 record the rest of the way would give us a 99% chance of picking top 3.

82. Ducey says:

Very happy to beat the Canucks. I absolutely hate them.

In other news, I see Buffalo was shut out and the Linus played 10 minutes with 2 shots. He is not doing much to get MacT a 6th rounder.

Has Jones done enough to earn a contract for next year?

83. gogliano says:

spoiler:
    Are we still trading Gagner?

Would everyone* be happy if MacT had a deadline that featured:

Smytty to a Cali team in a bidding war for a 3rd.
    Bryz to Chi-town for a 3rd?
    N. Schultz to Boston for a 3rd?

Does Hemsky make it through the deadline?Or does MacT prefer this “heavier” look, especially if they go on a winning streak?I’m leery about trading this player and not getting more than a 2nd rounder back. Is that enough? If the Oil don’t give him a nice offer, does he check the market?

I assume this means Scrivens is on board.

84. oilspillcali says:

Favorite part of the game was seeing Gags give Kassian a two hander to the leg to set up Perron’s empty net hatty that was all the karma he needed

85. Chris says:

So who had Martin Maricinin and an over paid 4th line grinder in the pool for “exactly what this team needed”?

86. Andy P says:

First of all, I agree that any problem that the team may have had with accepting Yak, seems to be going away, for whatever reason.

Secondly, I think MacT will not make any trades that do not improve the team. He has said this repeatedly and I think he means it.

I think playing well for the rest of the season, and finishing on the up and up, will lose us the 1st pick again, but will make us more attractive to quality UFA’s who will want to jump on the bandwagon with a team starting to realize their future.

Something happened between the team and Eakins between Hendricks and the skills competition, they seem to be bonding at last.

Go Oilers!

87. Zelepukin says:

Chris:

Well the real test is going to be San Jose. Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves here, we just played two very lackluster offensive teams. SJ is a complete package of sound D and forward depth. Our top line is going to have to produce and our 2L is going to have to handle some tough opposition. It will be interesting to see how a confident Marincin/Petry handles big Joe and company.

88. Zelepukin says:

Andy P:

89. book¡je says:

I think the decision to start Bryzgalov is a very good sign. The coach is learning to put some trust in analytics. The data regarding goalies on back to backs is strong and not really debatable. Coaches who go with gut instinct and play the ‘hot’ goalie are wrong to do so. If Eakins and MacT integrate more analytics into their decision making (along with their expert knowledge) it will make the team better.

90. Beaker says:

book¡je,

Does starting a different goalie in back to backs really get called “Analytics” now? Theres really no fancy stat to it. Its like saying “the coach said shooting the pucks more will get us more goals” is analytics.

91. theres oil in virginia says:

Nobody has commented on Mark Spector’s 2nd intermission commentary regarding advanced stats. I figured that would be a hot topic. LT, have you seen it?

92. Pouzar says:

It annoys to no frickin end.

93. Pouzar says:

Corgi not kind to the Potter/Belov Pairing

94. Beaker says:

theres oil in virginia,

Nothing Spector says is worthy of commentary.

95. theres oil in virginia says:

Beaker:
    book¡je,

From Wikipedia (I doubt you’ll find too many places with different definitions):

“Analytics is the discovery and communication of meaningful patterns in data.”

I didn’t see the term “fancy stat” anywhere on the whole page.

96. theres oil in virginia says:

Beaker:
    theres oil in virginia,

Nothing Spector says is worthy of commentary.

If by “commentary”, you mean statements like yours, then I agree.

97. Pouzar says:

For the Stats guys,

I am new to this stuff so be gentle.

Are the Corsi numbers respectable for the Hendricks/Gordon/Jones line given the crazy zone starts?

98. book¡je says:

Beaker:
    book¡je,

The coach specifically referred to statistical analysis regarding playing goalies on back to back games as to why he went with Bryzgalov as opposed to going with a goalie who had a strong game. Thus, in this case it is relevant to refer to ‘analytics’ affecting the coaches decision.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    For the Stats guys,

I am new to this stuff so be gentle.

No. not great:

All 3 right around 33% of the shot attempt share.

100. Ivan says:

Was at the game last night with two true believers and a *spits* Canuckle fan. (He’s family…) Some thing we observed:
    -Hendricks is a real asset. Watching him on the bench, interacting, encouraging his team- Saw him ask the trainer for a whiteboard during a timeout, and he was drawing up some stuff with 3 or 4 guys paying attention.
    -Marincin. Officially a big part of the future of this club. Calm, great positioning, simple, smart play all game. Got a little torched a couple of times near the end, but Eakins still ran him out another shift. A joy to watch. And a bit of a puck rush once there too!
    -Shultz the Elder brought his good stuff. I was actually impressed a couple times with decision making and position. Helps the showcase a bit, anyhow.
    -4-93-14 had very little space to work with. Kesler/Higgins/Hansen are a tough, tough matchup.
    -hatred for the Dys is growing within us. Kesler was flapping his gums all night long, and Kassian? I was seriously ready to throw this game in order for Gaz to wipe that sneer off his face.
    -Really enjoyed this game. My loud, slightly obnoxious buddy was giving it to every Canuck and fan he saw, and that added to the fun.

On to the future, folks- this team WILL be a force, and soon

101. book¡je says:

Beaker,

I would add that the ‘fancyness’ of the stat included a fairly in depth effort to isolate goalie affects from team effects by focusing solely on games where both teams were playing back to backs only and comparing goalie performance between the same vs different goalies playing the 2nd game. It showed that goalies sv% dropped significantly when played on a second night – far more than many people would probably assume by simple observation.

Does anyone have a link to the study? I don’t remember who did it.

102. Andy P says:

Zelepukin: I don’t buy any of this ridiculousness around there being a team problem with Yaks, especially when the only evidence people like to use is, Ebs or Gags didn’t look as happy Yaks during a goal celebration? Really? Are you watching hockey or Days of Our Lives?If anything the biggest change has been Yaks finally putting himself into a position where he is open for a pass or his adjustment to anticipating what his linemate’s decisions with the puck are going to be. Any hockey player will tell you that there is nothing more frusturating than playing with a guy who is always out of position. That has nothing to do with personality or how they fit in off the ice.

I don’t watch your silly fucking TV shows.
    In case you haven’t noticed, this team has been losing for a very long time. For those of us who like to apply cognitive thought to hockey problems, it’s been pretty obvious that Yak being out of sync with the team was one of many problems this team has faced. The point of Gags expression was only one small point, in the course of a long set of discussions that you obviously did not comprehend or did not bother to read.
    If the problem of Yak fitting in is as simple as being where people expect to find him for passes, then that is a very good thing.

103. book¡je says:

Andy P: I don’t watch your silly fucking TV shows.
    In case you haven’t noticed, this team has been losing for a very long time. For those of us who like to apply cognitive thought to hockey problems, it’s been pretty obvious that Yak being out of sync with the team was one of many problems this team has faced.The point of Gags expression was only one small point, in the course of a long set of discussions that you obviously did not comprehend or did not bother to read.

Like, I agree, Gags is, like so mean to Yak, like, totally. Did you see how he, like, looked at him. Wowser, like what a total downer.

104. book¡je says:

Andy P,

Andy, I am not sure how old you are, but you need to understand that what you are doing is not analysis. It is unjustified surmising which is fine if you accept how weak it is in terms of understanding anything. However, when you start to take it seriously, it’s a problem because it is often incorrect and feeds into narratives which can create problem. In essence its little more than unjustified gossip. Anyone over the age of 16 should understand the gossip can be problematic. So if you’re going to come here and say childish things, expect to be treated like a child. This higher standard is what makes this website better than most other Oiler sites.

105. Andy P says:

book¡je:
    Andy P,

Andy, I am not sure how old you are, but you need to understand that what you are doing is not analysis.It is unjustified surmising which is fine if you accept how weak it is in terms of understanding anything.However, when you start to take it seriously, it’s a problem because it is often incorrect and feeds into narratives which can create problem.In essence its little more than unjustified gossip.Anyone over the age of 16 should understand the gossip can be problematic.So if you’re going to come here and say childish things, expect to be treated like a child.This higher standard is what makes this website better than most other Oiler sites.

Yes, this thing did get completely out of hand, I never did take that fleeting expression on Gag’s face as anything in and of itself, and I regret even mentioning it in the first place. To me it was something I noticed that corresponded to what appeared to be a problem on the team, that is/was that Yak did not fit in with the rest of the team. At that time I had not noticed Gags behaviour in particular during cellies, and subsequent to my observation someone else commented that they saw the same look on Gag’s face that put that observation to bed.

I am of the Vietnam generation so would be honored to be called young, and saddened to be thought of as childish. I have done quite well over the years turning around dysfunctional groups of people in the course of the work I found myself in, and have done well getting people who were at loggerheads to get along and actually end up working really well together.

So, while I have done more analysis in the form of metrics, trend analysis and index comparison than most, I generally do not focus on that here because there are far too many people way more qualified than me in the art and science of hockey metrics for me to consider any of my own contributions in that area worthwhile.

So I have tended to focus in an area that most people have obviously not dabbled in much at all, that actually makes a huge difference in the productivity that one can get out of a divergent collection of people. I don’t mind that my subject matter and observations are not something that sports jocks and wannabe jocks would normally engage in, but there is a reason for the subject of organizational behaviour being in existence and for the employment of sports psychologists.

Most of us have been lost for answers on what has been ailing this team. Many of us have occasionally succumbed to the “fire (insert name here) but outside of that, when all else seemed to fail, I started looking at the relational side. It ended up in a comment on one of LT’s ON blogs, that LT came through with words to the effect that I had framed what he feared exactly.

Since then however I had one person accuse me of watching Ancient Aliens, and now the more recent person made fun of my comments by suggesting I was watching another series, “Days of our Lives”, added that my comments annoyed him. I’ll admit that I did respond somewhat fiercely, but shrugged that off as ignorance.

But when one of the more respected commenters on the most respected blog I have ever seen, informs me that my comments have a negative effect and are ignored as they are seen as childish, well, it is what it is I suppose, and it’s pretty pointless, unless one is a troll, to post stuff only to be mocked, laughed at, called childish and as such, ignored.

Nothing more to say for now. That’s about it.

Why can’t we all get along? Like Sven and Rachel on Another World? Sure he locked her in the attic and Mack was too stupid to figure it out, but at least they got along. Except for the kidnapping.

107. Beaker says:

theres oil in virginia,
    book¡je,

Probably too late for this but if you guys dont get my point its w/e anyways. The point of saying “Eakins used analytics” is to show hes using some tool thats new and somehow makes him special. Using simple basic stats (especially when not going into depth into how he derived this point) would imply that the spirit behind “he used analytics!!!” isnt really being honest. The same way saying “if we shoot more we will probably score more” isnt really using analytics. Just because some math could be applied to a statement doesnt mean that the statement has some sort of deep inherent wisdom.

108. Gerta Rauss says:

I don’t know what that’s about but it made me laugh…:)

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker:
    theres oil in virginia,
    book¡je,

It shows that he’s open to information and making use of it. That’s important, even if it sets the bar very low. Welcome to the NHL.

110. Beaker says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

great, i just dont feel that particular bit of information is worth of the “wow look at our guys so ahead of the curve hes using analytics” pumping. Not in the way thats usually reserved for how we talk about smart teams/people using analytics. Thats basically the simplest of the simple.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

great, i just dont feel that particular bit of information is worth of the “wow look at our guys so ahead of the curve hes using analytics” pumping.Not in the way thats usually reserved for how we talk about smart teams/people using analytics. Thats basically the simplest of the simple.

If you’ve seen the reaction from various fans/media to Eakins on this, you’d have a sense of what is at stake here.

No one is saying this is some miracle of ingenuity. But, it a good sign.

I don’t get your complaint.

112. theres oil in virginia says:

Beaker:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

First, my objection to your original post was your statement that Eakins’ using statistics of goalies’ performance in the second game of back-to-backs was not analytics. Clearly, it is. Second, looking at shot and goals data to determine whether shooting the puck more will result in more goals is also analytics. It’s also an open question.
    And lastly, I’ll say this: What was so interesting about Eakins’ starting goalie decision was that it flew in the face of what most hockey people expected. The VAN announcers were in a tizzy over it. One of them was almost fuming about how they should have started the guy who won the last game…”win and you’re in”. (Of course, he also said that Kassian showed great restraint by not engaging Gazdic. So, there’s that.) So, Eakins used data to determine his starting goalie, and that’s not normally how it’s done. Simple as that. Nobody is claiming that Eakins is a genius because of it. (One final, final note: The other VAN announcer said that they should revisit the decision to start Bryz later in the game to see how it worked out. I didn’t stick around the VAN game feed long enough to find out if they did. Those guys make Sportsnet West look like the gold standard.)

« Older Comments