OILERS AT DUCKS, G44 13-14

This can’t go on. The Edmonton Oilers are losing games, but they’re losing much more than that during these punching bag games—they are losing their ability to function as a group. For instance, Dallas Eakins has this nasty habit of placing blame without taking responsibility. Even when he does take responsibility, it’s kind of backhanded: “I assumed that we knew what traditional d-zone coverage was” isn’t really “my bad, but we’re on the same page.”

LAST NIGHT

eakins yakupovHere’s the thing: no they weren’t. The Oilers were getting their asses kicked around the parking lot before the second goal (13-6 Corsi SJS at 5×5 up to that point by my count and using Extra Skater) and only strong goaltending from Dubnyk had it 1-0 before the Marleau goal. Never-ending underlying facts.

Anyway, back to Eakins. This nasty habit of not taking responsibility and pointing the finger at others in public is irritating but not a deal breaker. I suspect we’ve all worked with someone like that, but their good qualities outweigh the bad and these events happen rarely enough that we don’t say anything.

Except. Except in a season where the nightly press conference becomes a blame game. Then a player’s name is out there consistently, and that’s going to be an issue at some point in my opinion. Now, a kid like Nail Yakupov can talk to his agent, and his agent can blow into town and make things worse, but that’s a sign that communication is very bad and that things aren’t going well.

It’s easy enough to set aside one player, Yakupov is struggling and the Oilers are drowning. I wonder though if this problem with calling guys out and communication doesn’t run deeper. Ladislav Smid was an Oiler for a long time, and he’s gone early in the season to a rival—and what’s more there’s no acknowledgement at all from the organization when he returns with his new team. A small, trivial item to be sure, but employees notice these kinds of things.

Communication.

I’ve been thinking about communication since early in last night’s game. The team’s breakouts look like the plan hasn’t been communicated properly, the players don’t know the script. Nail Yakupov is going to get the blame here, but there was a lot of wonk along with the work that went into that play before the kid screwed up.

WHY? In game 43 of the season? WHY? “I assumed that we knew what traditional d-zone coverage was” came the answer last time, so we assume it’s the same answer today.

Communication.

We NEVER hear about or from the assistant coaching staff. Do they know what they’re doing? Are they able to communicate with their players? Can you tell me why the best defenseman last night was the kid who hasn’t been here long? Can you tell me why the Oilers best players many nights are the guys who arrived in fall?

This can’t go on. Communication.

There are only a few reasons why a team would be performing like this 40+ games into the season—they can’t possibly be this bad, I’m no longer buying it.

• Youth. Young players make mistakes, it’s just a fact.
  • Age. Older players struggle when their skills erode and they can no longer make the plays that came easily in past seasons.
  • Communication. I’ve been a manager and I’ve been an employee, and most of the time when things screw up this is the reason. And it isn’t always management by the way. These issues do require a buy-in from the worker and if you don’t understand, ask someone!
  • Stubborn. Man, I know this one well. I think there’s a lot of stubborn on this team, married to youth and inexperience. And it isn’t always the player by the way. These issues do require reflection on behalf of management—is it a good idea to say “I assumed that we knew what traditional d-zone coverage was”, suggesting the players are dummies? That kind of thing usually puts distance between you and the people you’re dealing with in any business setting.
  • Quitting. I’ve saved this for the bottom, because it’s a very touchy item and people shouldn’t just march around throwing these ideas into the wind—it might catch fire. However, when I watch this Oiler team right now it looks for all the world as though these players have not bought into the plan. That’s not to say that they aren’t working hard, or don’t want to win, but belief is a powerful thing in life, and I’m not sure these 23 believe in themselves and the system used by Dallas Eakins. After the “intimidation” comments last night, I’m not sure Eakins believes in the team.

Solutions

Well ladies, there aren’t many. They can trade that first round pick for Christian Ehrhoff, but the value will be higher at the draft. They can deal off Eberle, but I don’t think that’s going to happen during the MacT regime.

They can tweak the coaching staff, and that’s where it gets dicey. First, no one wants to see someone lose their job, but this isn’t working so perhaps a change in job description for one or two of the staff. Second, bringing in a veteran “co-coach” like Paul Maurice to make certain things run smoothly, we can call it the Renney role if you like, but I think we’re heading there sooner than later.

Finally, I do think we’re at a point where it’s reasonable to talk about the entire coaching staff being replaced. No fun in that, epic fail as a matter of fact. I believe Dallas Eakins is a good coach lacking experience, but the results continue to disappoint. Not just wins and losses, but Corsi and breakouts and communication and “I assumed that we knew what traditional d-zone coverage was” and calling out the kid when 10 other things ghastly happened on the same play.

My Dad always had this phrase he’d use at times like this: if you’re not for me, you’re against me. I wonder how many Oilers are for Dallas Eakins this morning. When I watch this team, I don’t believe the answer is 23.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today on the show, we get back to work! I missed it! Scheduled to appear:

TSN 1260 at 10 this morning. @lowetide_ on twitter or 10-1260 via text. It’ll be fun!

521 Responses to "OILERS AT DUCKS, G44 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Kris11 says:

Improve Dubnyk’s SV% to a reasonable 0.91. That lowers the GA by about 14.

Do the same for Labarbera and you improve the GA by another 7.

That would put the Oilers at 110 GF and 127 GA, instead of their current horrid 110 GF and 148 GA.

Improve the special teams from PP at 17th overall (which is how it should be given that the Oilers are built to have a strong PP) and PK at 20th, Improve the Corsi numbers a bit with a better D corps, and/or reasonably better seasons from Yak, Gagner, etc.

That would get you close to, I don’t know, let’s say 114GF and 121 GA.

That would put the team about where the reasonable amongst us expected: outside of the playoffs but with a chance of squeaking in.

Instead, everything has broke against the Oilers and made them look like the worst team instead of a below average team with a particularly below average D Corps and very talented forwards who give up a bit too much the other way.

I don’t see how coaching could fix much of this. The Oilers need better D-men (otherwise they will never be much better than those awful TBay teams that had talented forwards and little else) and non-crap G’s. Another Boyd Gordon type or three is needed too.

2. OilClog says:

Reading these comments I can’t help but to laugh out loud, we really are the craziest fans in the league. It’s great.

Now I’m not saying other coaches would make the playoffs with the team or that they would be competitive. What I am saying though, Kruger had us all saying playoffs with Ryan Whitney.

Eakins pinning another shit kicking on the feet of his 20yr freshly benched Player that has a plan, it’s clear who is driving this crazy train!

Brutal that they go through another coach, but all I can think of now when I think of Eakins. Ted Green.

3. OilClog says:

Kris11:
    Improve Dubnyk’s SV% to a reasonable 0.91. That lowers the GA by about 14.

Do the same for Labarbera and you improve the GA by another 7.

That would get you close to, I don’t know, let’s say 114GF and 121 GA.

How can coaching help this..

Example.
    Acton, Will.

Woodguy:
    This used to be a mathy comments section.

Math has abandoned the Eakins’ apologists. Math convicts him.

5. Kris11 says:

We could discuss the mathematical Paradox of the Grand Hotel.

6. knighttown says:

knighttown,

Just wanted to add but too slow to edit…

…leaves Sam Gagner, Nail Yakupov and Jordan Eberle to kill soft comp. That makes perfect sense. Sam Gagner, a 50+ point guy just coming into his prime. Jordan Eberle, a 35 goal and 70 point guy who is younger than Gagner and Nail Yakupov who led the team in goal scoring as a rookie and has #1OV pedigree. Why is this failing?

We’re always looking for easy answers but from where I sit, there aren’t any. It was “injuries” for awhile, but this is as healthy as any team in the NHL and healthier than any Oilers team in recent memory. “There are no defensemen”. Sure there are! Petry is one. Smid was one. Nick shouldn’t be this bad. Belov was the best defenseman in the KHL. Justin was a sure thing and even if you don’t like the individuals, we unanimously loved the depth with guys like Potter, Larsson and Grebs in the AHL and Fedun, Marincin and Klefbom knocking the door down.

7. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m pretty sure he means the kind of fanfare teams put on during a TV timeout or whathaveyou for former players… a video tribute or something.

It is important to have reasonable expectations, but having a bona fide top pairing guy would seriously help this team (and long term at that).

The deal isn’t that BUF is bad with him, it is that BUF would give new meaning to terrible without him.

Sorry Rom, I missed this reply. This thread has been a wee-bit crazy today.

I didn’t realize they did that for ex-players. Not being a Tier-1 fan, I don’t see the games live. So, I guess they didn’t do that for Laddy. At least they didn’t show highlights of the Rangers game a few years ago where he got sucker-punched by Sean Avery!

Agreed that the Oil need a guy like Ehrhoff, just not at the expense of one of the young stars. They need him for cash only. And they need more than just Ehrhoff. Also, have you seen the stats page for the Sabres? Bloody awful:

8. icecastles says:

knighttown: But are they really good players or are they just interchangeable parts doing what the coach asks them to. I’m really perplexed by this phenomenon we’re seeing where (in Edmonton) good players play badly and in places like San Jose, bad players (Bracken Kearns) play well

I think an enormous part of this comes down to mentoring. The teams that have gone the youth route and had success have had strong veterans who can bring the kids along, shelter them a little and show them how to pair the natural talent with hard-won work ethic. I believe it was the big motivator behind bringing in guys like Ference this year, but it hasn’t worked.

Perhaps largely because our veterans rarely seem to remain veterans of this team and the ones we have (Horc, Smid, they tried to move Hemsky), are sent away. Thank Gord Smyth came back… don’t think he’s really got the smartsto coach once he retires from playing, but his influence as a role model will be sorely missed when he hangs up his skates.

9. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy:
    This used to be a mathy comments section.

12 beers + 7 losing seasons = 1 million tears.

10. Kris11 says:

Mentoring = Clutch = Toughness = Fire in the eyes = Will to win = Team culture = Sasquatch

“Steve Smith”:
    bookje,

If you have six apples, and you give two to your friend, I can’t remember the rest but Dallas Eakins’ mother’s a whore.

This is absolutely brilliant. There’s Bacardi on the floor and now I have to choke out “Steve Smith” for committing a mortal sin, but lordy. Funny.

12. hunter1909 says:

Kris11:
    We could discuss the mathematical Paradox of the Grand Hotel.

Hypothetically, if Kevin Lowe were to check into this hotel and request a room for say, each one of his rings, and the place was full, the eventual tally would be infinity+6?

Or, if Eakins checked in and requested a room for his current level of credibility, the tally would be infinity plus 0?

13. Kris11 says:

hunter1909,

I think the room with the set containing an infinite number of rings has a cardinality of tier 2, aka aleph-null. And the set containing the number of rings that Kevin Lowe has is higher; it is tier 1. In fact there is no set with a bigger cardianlity; it is so big that it is an inconsistent multiplicity and thus cannot be. But it is.

The most difficult question to answer is: why is there a gap in your work history. Hippies had a helluva time. Where WAS Belov?

15. "Steve Smith" says:

‘Choking out “Steve Smith”‘ is my new least favourite euphemism for masturbation.

“Steve Smith”:

well, it’s hard to beat ‘lefty’

17. bookje says:

Lowetide: well, it’s hard to beat ‘lefty’

I can’t believe I am saying this but can we please get back to discussing the Oilers.

18. oliveoilers says:

“Steve Smith”:
    bookje,

I guess you could call her that, but I don’t remember paying.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Its seems perfectly reasonable — if squishy — for something to say the following things:

1. RK wasn’t very good at this job.

2. RK wasn’t given a good chance to improve: time on the job, an associate, training camp, eastern team, etc.

3. Making the world turn on the differences between RK and Eakins is, for the most part, unhelpful. RK’s situation was exceptional, as was his exit.

4. Eakins has settled some matters (Hemsky appears solved; the PP is generating more shots) but found new problems.

5. The 5×5 numbers are barely above last year’s, and below Renney’s. Eakins is struggling.

6. In the PR/Media and inspiring team battles Eakins appears to have an uneven record with a lot of blemishes.

7. Pointing out when Eakins acts like an ass (blaming Yak), or makes strange decisions (Acton), doesn’t mean you’ve lost grip with reality or believe Eakins is impossibly bad at his job.

8. In all likelihood Eakins — as MacT’s guy — is going to get the chance to improve.

20. oliveoilers says:

“Steve Smith”:

Stabbing the cat is my favourite.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, no Eberle tonight… that seems relevant.

Good luck to Hunt.

Apparently Jones and Arco are coming back. I really hope Jones is ok… I’m not sure this doesn’t qualify as rushing back considering how bad things looked with him on the ice.

22. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, no Eberle tonight… that seems relevant.

Any reason why?

23. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

Because, for all of his worts (St. John’s and the rest), he’s still one of the Oilers’ best players, presumably.

24. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, no Eberle tonight… that seems relevant.

Good luck to Hunt.

What do you read into this Rom? Occum’s Razor, or something sinister afoot? Also ‘saw him good’ on Hunt in pre-season, but so small, so small.

25. Bar_Qu says:

bookje,

Anaheim needs to be spotted more than a couple of goals in order to win this game, thus remove the Eberle.

That or LTs monomaniacal insistence on a 3 for 1 trade has led to Eberle being traded for 3 assets.

It was miscommunicated.
    ;-)

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins’ presser:

He’s really diving deep into the “what you leave” narrative. I’d like to see him pan-out and re-think the state of the club. It’s not good.

Hunt is giddy… small miracles folks! Enjoy these moments:

27. 719 says:

I found myself nostalgic for Tambo/Krueger today. Didn’t think that was possible at the start of the season.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers: What do you read into this Rom?Occum’s Razor, or something sinister afoot?Also ‘saw him good’ on Hunt in pre-season, but so small, so small.

Which part?

Eberle? Seems pretty clear he’s banged up. Also, he wasn’t on the “bench list” last game for Eakins in the 2nd (RNH, Hall, Peron)

Nurse scores tonight 39, 10-26-36

30. Pouzar says:

I got ANA ( -1.5) -105

Meant to put this same bet in last night but was away from the computer.

If I’m gonna be miserable I may as well profit. Emotional insurance rules!

31. Pouzar says:

Nurse scores tonight 39, 10-26-36

For some reason I get the impression people outside Oilerland are really down on him. Good. Cause he’s going to steal their souls and make em all eat composite in their nightmares!

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jani Rita bought a Waldorf Salad for lunch today.

33. bookje says:

Now boys, I know last time I told you to dig deep and give 110%. Tonight I want you to dig deeper and give me 127.5%.

34. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Which part?

Trade?

35. hankster says:

theres oil in virginia,

I hope young stars you are the three 1st overall picks…otherwise everyone else should be tradeable. We are over valuing people like j schultz and gagner as young stars. I see so much resemblance in point production and style of play between gagner and kyle Wellwood. ..who had to retire as he couldn’t cut it.

36. sliderule says:

Pouzar,

Nurse was -3 in his last game and -3 in an earlier game 2of the minuses on PP.

It was after that game that the report of him being booed was written.

He would fit in well with oilers as he has been making poor reads and not picking up a man.

He has been showing his frustration which can piss off fans but shows he cares.

He has the total tool kit but needs to read the game better.

37. Pouzar says:

sliderule:
    Pouzar,

Nurse was -3 in his last game and -3 in an earlier game 2of the minuses on PP.

It was after that game that the report of him being booed was written.

He has been showing his frustration which can piss off fans but shows he cares.

He has the total tool kit but needs to read the game better.

Thx for the report. Did you watch the games?
    Case of trying to do too much maybe and doing the simple play?

38. Old School G says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Jani Rita bought a Waldorf Salad for lunch today.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA whaaat? I appreciate the randomness Rom!

39. slambanna says:

bookje: Trade?

Just a lower body injury from when he accidentally hit Couture last night. Maybe he should try hitting someone intentionally just to mix things up.

However the majority of this team seems to have a no hitting policy, which has kept them healthy at least.

Arcobello clearly didn’t get the memo.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    Pouzar,

Nurse was -3 in his last game and -3 in an earlier game 2of the minuses on PP.

It was after that game that the report of him being booed was written.

He has been showing his frustration which can piss off fans but shows he cares.

He has the total tool kit but needs to read the game better.

Can you get minuses on the PP in Jr?

That report has been publicly contested by the coach among others.

He’s a kid. All kids make miss-reads.

I thought fans loved seeing frustration in players and hated it when they were nonchalant? Get your story straight fans!

He’s a kid. With any luck, he’ll keep learning in the OHL next year.

41. LostBoy says:

bookje,

Spake the Oilers:

“Tonight’s lineup is expected to have a handful of changes. Jordan Eberle is out with a tweaked knee.

“He was willing to go in warmup and give it a try,” said Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins, adding that he didn’t feel that it was worth the risk even though the injury does not appear to be a serious one.”

42. sliderule says:

Pouzar,

I only watched the highlites on the Soo site but they showed his minuses.

The pp goals against one was bad cross ice pass from own zone and the other was not covering on a pinch and then pretty much gave up on pursuit.

The last game he had one real bad read it looked like he was swarming joined his D partner and winger on side wall tried to recover but couldn’t get back to crease to cover.After that goal he skated off with his head down.
    He is piling up the points and Seth Jones made more than his share of brain farts last year so I am not worried.I am damn sure it would be better to stay in Soo next year

43. theres oil in virginia says:

hankster:
    theres oil in virginia,

I hope young stars you are the three 1st overall picks…otherwise everyone else should be tradeable.We are over valuing people like j schultz and gagner as young stars.I see so much resemblance in point production and style of play between gagner and kyle Wellwood. ..who had to retire as he couldn’t cut it.

Everyone is tradable, but my point is that you don’t increase the talent-level of your team by trading young talented players away, even if you get someone like Ehrhoff in return. You might increase the talent level in a trade like the Perron trade, but usually you just change the mix with a trade. I don’t think that will be enough to fix what ails them. They need an increase in talent, and they need more veteran presence, but not at the expense of the young talent that is here.

44. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well rom he finished minus three in that game so I would say yes.

Why don’t you take the time to check the hi lites on OHL sites rather firing from your butt.

45. theres oil in virginia says:

sliderule: …rather firing from your butt.

Seriously Rom, stop it. It’s very uncooth, even when we aren’t all in the same room.

;)

46. oliveoilers says:

slambanna: Just a lower body injury from when he accidentally hit Couture last night.Maybe he should try hitting someone intentionally just to mix things up.

Arcobello clearly didn’t get the memo.

I thought he had a great opportunity to nail Couture! But no. Got injured on the play instead. ‘Cos Oilers.

47. Old School G says:

Over the holidays I watched a couple of the 24/7 Detroit/Toronto episodes. There was a point when Detroit is in a very unDetroit like slump. Ken Holland and Mike Babcock check in after yet another loss, there was maybe 15 words spoke between them but when Ken Holland left the room you just knew a plan was in place going forward, they get one another on a different level and they know what it takes to win as a Coach and a GM. They have the swagger and have been so good for so long that they have earned it.

The two part question I have been asking myself since the episode is:

Can MacT and Eakins develop the type of relationship that Mike Babcock and Ken Holland have? Do they have a team identity and plan in place like Detroit has had for what seems like forever?

All a guy can do is hope. What a frustratingly tricky place we find ourselves.

48. cabbiesmacker says:

Caramel Obvious:
    You people have gone off the rails. This thread is one giant bitch fest.One useless, trolling, post after another.

Simple minded fans blame the coach because they can’t think of anything else to say.It’s the same mindset that blames Hemsky for not shooting enough.This site should be better than that.

With that said I propose on moratorium on threads discussing Eakins.It brings out the worst in the comments and doesn’t move the conversation forward.

You’ve got some caviar on your ascot there Ainsley.

49. VanOil says:

What I have learned today:

Nurse scoring can cure Eberle’s St Johns wart.

Eakins Mom eats apples.

Brad Hunt is having a Giant day.

Caramel and Caviar don’t mix.

And the Six Rings sermon on winning is one of the most foolish things said in hockey since Harold Ballard rocked the Mic. Which is some doing given Brian Burke is in the league.

50. regwald says:

VanOil,

But do you think KLowe can spell Intense ? I think KLowe’s picture is next to the word in the encyclopedia.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Well rom he finished minus three in that game so I would say yes.

You’re right. That’s the last time I take your word for it. Always check for yourself!

His last 2 games:

even:

minus 3, none on the PP, because as you can see… they don’t award +/- on special teams (note the lack of a +/- button next to the goals):

godot10: Math has abandoned the Eakins’ apologists.Math convicts him.

Not as bad as it convicts Krueger, but you conveniently ignore it.

Has it got that bad Godot that you are pining for the days when the Oilers finished 24th?

53. Suntory Hanzo says:

regwald,

But in a Rangers Uni.

Not an Oilers.

54. cabbiesmacker says:

regwald:
    VanOil,

But do you think KLowe can spell Intense ?

In tents.

def: where tier 2 fans live

55. regwald says:

cabbiesmacker: In tents.

def: where tier 2 fans live

Awesome. Nicely done.

56. regwald says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    regwald,

But in a Rangers Uni.

Not an Oilers.

Of course, he’s saving his jersey for the HHOF ceremony.

57. Caramel Obvious says:

Tampa is playing Calgary as we speak. Decide for yourself if their young players are for real. Once you decide they are, ask yourself why the Oilers have none of these players, or really anything like it.

58. Caramel Obvious says:

I didn’t include JT Brown on my earlier list. The difference is even started.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wow… the OKC PP looks great. 3 PP goals, up 3-1 on San Anton.

60. VanOil says:

Looking at the January schedule there are only two games I would place money on not losing. Winnipeg on the 18th and Nashville on the 26th and by no means am I betting on them to win those two games. It could be a month so bleak that we look back on today discourse as irrationally hopeful with the same longing as those gleeful September days when had not all gone wrong yet.

My gleefully optimistic prediction is the Oilers by hook and crook steal 5 whole points from January’s 14 games. Unless Brad Hunt proves to be our savior.

61. Old School G says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Tampa is playing Calgary as we speak.Decide for yourself if their young players are for real.Once you decide they are, ask yourself why the Oilers have none of these players, or really anything like it.

I’d think it pretty common knowledge that our scouting and drafting of prospects has been a train wreck for a while.

62. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Wow… the OKC PP looks great. 3 PP goals, up 3-1 on San Anton.

Nothing for Curtis Hamilton yet, but Horak with 1G, 1A.

Did you see who has the goal for SA? (sorry if this has been mentioned already, just joining in)

63. fifthcartel says:

Hunt kinda looks like Eberle on steroids.

64. VanOil says:

That was unexpected

65. VanOil says:

That was more expected

66. jp says:

VanOil:
    That was unexpected

That was not. lol.

67. rich says:

Well that was pretty short lived.

68. Gerta Rauss says:

ahahahahah….

I hate this team.

69. LostBoy says:

Well, it was 11 seconds more than I was expecting…

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, Ference is already having a horrible game.

71. VanOil says:

I hate the lighting in Anaheim. Bright and dark all at the same time.

72. LMHF#1 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, Ference is already having a horrible game.

Justin Schultz and he both. Yikes.

What was Andrew Ference supposed to do well on the ice again? I’ve yet to see it.

73. VanOil says:

The crowd noise in Anaheim is great. All 400 of them seem load to be into the game.

74. bookje says:

LMHF#1: Justin Schultz and he both. Yikes.

Fitness

If Bickell were available, would you?

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

19 with a nice play on the first PK (out there with Marincin… talk about baptism by fire!)

Why is Bryz not wearing his new hat?

77. LostBoy says:

Trying to remember when the big crackdown on uniforms ended. They were warning people left and right to begin the season. Perron has his jersey in a total Gretzky tuck tonight.

78. fifthcartel says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

*the Captain Andrew Ference.

79. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,
    Not as bad as it convicts Krueger, but you conveniently ignore it.

Sadly, I am.

There are over 265 comments here, so maybe I missed it but I haven’t seen an apples to apples comparison of Renney, Krueger, and Eakins yet (west only). And whatever Krueger accomplished, if it were to be even close to the other two would say something given he did it without a training camp and with a compressed schedule. Those are two things Renney didn’t have to deal with, and Eakins got a training camp and a less compressed schedule.

I am not saying Krueger was the answer, just he was dealt some tough cards. I wanted Jon Cooper the year Krueger was hired, or Ruff this past summer.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

When the Ducks score 5 goals or more Hooters gives you 5 free wings!

Go Ducks!

81. VanOil says:

4M a year seems a lot for a Bickell type. But beggars can’t be choosers. I would prefer Penner.

82. hunter1909 says:

Dallas Eakin’s crafty strategy – having the oilers drag the opposition down to their level seems to be working to a tee.

With any luck they could get an OT loss out of this.

83. fifthcartel says:

YAK

84. Gerta Rauss says:

ahahah…..

Hiller has been fighting the puck tonight.

2-1 Oil.

85. Rebilled says:

Nice work by Perron and Yak there. Did Gagner get that though?

86. LostBoy says:

If Bickell were available, would you?

Nope. Wonderful playoff, but back this season to being what he is. Brings a lot less most nights than you’d expect. Fine depth player, but not worth $4m for three more years and not likely to become more than he already is.

87. Gerta Rauss says:

Rebilled:
    Nice work by Perron and Yak there. Did Gagner get that though?

Yak had the original drive to the net and shot on goal….I think it was pushed in by the defender.

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yak is going to have a hot January!

89. hunter1909 says:

I can’t wait until they finally shed themselves of that lousy Russian. Bench Yakupov, Mr. Eakins. Now.

90. Survioil says:

VanOil,

Depends on the ask. What winger going back?

91. Rebilled says:

Gerta Rauss,

Good.

Yakupov with a little bit of momentum there.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If Bickell were available, would you?

Jeez LT… don’t you have enough hockey outlets?

94. Oilanderp says:

My god i can only find american FOX feeds, quick PLZ I miss Debrusk! Anyone?

95. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You have some objection to the venerable parlour game “Trade For, Boff, Kill”?

96. Rebilled says:

Oilanderp,

Hi, I’m Louie DeBrusk.

97. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m a little behind in watching the game (it’s easier on my blood-pressure that way) and the Anaheim announcers are talking about the dearth of veterans on the Oilers’ roster. They went further to say “veterans who have spent time on winning teams”. They suggested that Ference being named captain after signing as a free-agent speaks to that.

98. Oilanderp says:

Whew! Thx.

99. hunter1909 says:

If I was crazy enough to gamble on hockey I’d bet on oilers winning this game. Yaks with a goal and they’re up 2-1 at evens, lol.

100. jp says:

VanOil:

Beats 5.5M for a 35 year old Ckarkson. But you are correct.

101. Survioil says:

Rebilled,

Love your watch. Diesel original?

102. LMHF#1 says:

Nick Schultz with the random dance move…

103. theres oil in virginia says:

Anybody else notice how easily Perry goes down on contact?

104. Rebilled says:

Survioil,

Sure.

105. hunter1909 says:

Oilers over-hope for penalty calls, just like the Vancouver Canucks. Disgraceful.

106. Gerta Rauss says:

ffs

107. fifthcartel says:

Ben Lovejoy, 5 career goals prior to this game. 2 tonight.

108. rich says:

Ben Lovejoy, you can’t stop him. You can only hope to contain him.

109. Gerta Rauss says:

Lovejoy is going to make the Olympic team at this rate

110. hunter1909 says:

Last minute goal. Wot a surprise.

But hey, it’s going to be alright. Eakin’s will give them the greatest pep talk since Knute Rockne, and they’ll come storming back in the 2nd.

Or maybe Eakin’s spends the entire break belittling them as people. The Fox broadcast were remarking at the hang dog expressions coming from Dallas’s Dynamos earlier today.

111. Minister D- says:

I’m sure the answer is yes, but are there shot/goal metrics for distance? I swear to jeebus, the Oilers allow more long range goals than any other team in the league.

112. Oilanderp says:

Some uh time-ah, de puck, she hit youu. Some uh time-ah, de puck, she don’t.

113. Halfwise says:

Went off Hemsky.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m blaming Bryz not wearing his kid’s mask for that period.

Also, no one driving the net when we finally gain possession and deep in the O zone… last 3 minutes 89 wandering too deep in the O zone unable to take a pass… just go to the net. Hall leaving his wheels at home after 57 enters the zone and puts the puck in the crease… if Cogliano can do it, so can you.

115. VanOil says:

Back to Bickell.

I would target Shawn Matthias or Brock Nelson before Bickell. Both would cost half as much in salary and hopefully therefor trade cost. They might not have a magic ring but they are younger and can play a little center.

116. G Money says:

I am literally laughing.

I no longer care much to watch games, so I wasn’t planning to. Then the show I *was* catching up on finished up, so I idly flicked the TV on to the game. Hey, 2-1 Oilers with 3:20 to play in the first!

But … only the Oilers could make Ben Lovejoy look like the next Sidney Crosby.

The [tying] goal a classic shot created by a skate through the crease that the Oilers NEVER do, because heaven forbid a goal is scored without getting a point. “If we’re going to score a goal, I better get at least a second assist, so I’m going to skate around the perimeter here until I can get a perfect shot away.”

The second, the classic tale of the Oilers this year, a critical soft goal from the blue line. F’in Dubynk! Wait, what?

Honestly, I don’t care much though. I’m not even sure I care enough to fin

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

118. LMHF#1 says:

Halfwise:
    Went off Hemsky.

What a magic shot. Hit a man on the bench?

119. Gerta Rauss says:

G Money:

Honestly, I don’t care much though.I’m not even sure I care enough to fin

ish this sentence…

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith":
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You have some objection to the venerable parlour game “Trade For, Boff, Kill”?

Sometimes I can’t follow your humor. In the interest of laughing, I give myself up for an idiot… what?

121. Minister D- says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

5 minutes, Rom? You’re slipping. : )

122. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money:
    I am literally laughing.

I no longer care much to watch games, so I wasn’t planning to.Then the show I *was* catching up on finished up, so I idly flicked the TV on to the game.Hey, 2-1 Oilers with 3:20 to play in the first!

But … only the Oilers could make Ben Lovejoy look like the next Sidney Crosby.

The [tying] goal a classic shot created by a skate through the crease that the Oilers NEVER do, because heaven forbid a goal is scored without getting a point.“If we’re going to score a goal, I better get at least a second assist, so I’m going to skate around the perimeter here until I can get a perfect shot away.”

The second, the classic tale of the Oilers this year, a critical soft goal from the blue line.F’in Dubynk!Wait, what?

Honestly, I don’t care much though.I’m not even sure I care enough to fin

This isn’t a suicide note, is it? G? G!!?? SPEAK TO ME G!!?? ARE YOU STILL THERE!!??

123. denny33 says:

godot10:
    Damn.It’s getting standing room only crowded on my bus!

So many of the people who were laughing at my bus in September, on now on it.Go figure! -).
    …………………..

Indeed!!

The whole tone of the forum has changed…..

124. jake70 says:

Just tuning in, notice the “top” line on for all 3 goals against.

125. VanOil says:

Is Marincin now on our top pairing with Petry? He might be our best defender.

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

2 real nice plays by 2 there.

man, that was a bad line change though.

127. LostBoy says:

jake70:
    Just tuning in, notice the “top”line on for all 3 goals against.

Between last night and tonight, Hall is -6 with 1 shot on goal. Something seems off with him tonight.

128. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You are so right the game before he was even.It was the game before that he was -3 but not on pp.

The game he gave up two Pp goals was in mid dec when it was against NB.
    He finished minus 3 for game and the high lites show him making mistakes on 2 of them
    And he could have been on for all three.The video is probably still up on site.

Don’t take my word for anything just like I ignore you unless you interject in your usual way.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arco looks like he’s swimming in mud with 6 and 20.

130. bookje says:

gotdot10,

Even if Eakins turns out to be a terrible coach, it doesn’t mean that you were correct in your conclusions in Sept. Lots of people throw out strong unjustified opinions that are not based upon sufficient information all of the time, because they are right sometimes does not make them reliable or correct.

If you are going to present absolute opinions based upon very limited information, you need to develop a trend of being correct before anyone will take you for anything more than the ‘doomsday street corner guy’ (who will also eventually be correct).

131. bookje says:

LostBoy: Between last night and tonight, Hall is -6 with 1 shot on goal.Something seems off with him tonight.

Maybe he hates his job?

132. hunter1909 says:

QUICK POLL:

Who would rather see those hot Ducks chicks shoveling snow, than see the game?

133. VanOil says:

Ducks normally don’t do Corgis but dip them in Oil and what do you know Corgi domination.

134. Halfwise says:

LMHF#1,

Nuge then. Watch the replay. And the snark.

135. Ben says:

Question out of nowhere:

When MacT was on his way out 2009, he stated that “Our culture has taken a hit” – or something close to that.

Was that statement ever clarified or elaborated upon by anyone who could credibly do so?

136. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    QUICK POLL:

Who would rather see those hot Ducks chicks shoveling snow, than see the game?

Dipped in Oil?

137. stevezie says:

godot10: Math has abandoned the Eakins’ apologists.Math convicts him.

I contend that Dallas Eakins is actually, in the present tense, a deceased person. Maybe you can’t see it yet, but within 60 years (tops!) it will become clear and everyone will agree that he is dead, and I will have been right all along.

All those who attend his funeral should be forced to acknowledge that they were wrong and I was right.

Oilers playing well except for the Lovejoy fan.

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule,

This game?

I see the confusion now. He was on the ice for short-handed goals, which counts toward +/-. I thought you meant he was defending a PP.

That explains a lot.

140. Gerta Rauss says:

Oilers playing well except for the Lovejoy fan.

I was just typing something similar…it’s a nicely played game thus far.

Unfortunately, it will turn out as always.

141. Gerta Rauss says:

Penalties 4-0 so far.

142. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I swear to god the refs hate us.

4 Ducks PP. 0 Oilers PP.

143. VanOil says:

Oilers playing well except for the Lovejoy fan.

I loved the show Lovejoy. It could be that the East Anglican accent reminded me of my Father just after he died. Ian McShane is still a great love-able rogue actor.

144. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Penalties 4-0 so far.

Damn your beady, darting eyes!

145. Gerta Rauss says:

5-0…could be 4 minutes??

edit-2 minutes

146. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Watching 89 try damn hard to blow the zone on the PK is… just … fuck.

147. sliderule says:

Ference wants some time off for community workouts.

148. hunter1909 says:

Don’t fuck with Andrew Ference.

Wish he wasn’t captain, but really like the player.

149. Romulus Apotheosis says:

this 19-85 PK unit is getting a real workout tonight.

Marincin is having a nice night here, again. I don’t think he gets sent down before Oly break if he can keep this up.

151. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia: This isn’t a suicide note, is it?G?G!!??SPEAK TO ME G!!??ARE YOU STILL THERE!!??

I’m here, I’m here!

This forum is so much more interesting than the actual games.

Thanks all!

Gonna go catch up on “Person of Interest” now. Seems like Carter may be in trouble. As in, Eakins-like trouble.

Can someone post the goal details as they happen so I can just check in here once in a while and don’t have to soil my TV screen?

Prediction: Oilers score the next goal to pretend to make it look interesting. Give up five goals in three minutes starting at the sixteenth minute of the third period (2 Penner, 2 Cogliano – gotta be ex-Oilers, right? and Lovejoy with the empty netter for the hattie, because when you’re down by four, pulling the goalie, or is it choking out “Steve Smith”, who knows, can make the difference) to lose 8-3.

152. toldyaso says:

Hey LT – it’s Asiaoil – and ignore the screen name because it’s irrelevant. I went ballistic last summer for a reason and it’s now obvious why. The team we grew up with is very very damaged to it’s very core and it didn’t need to be like this. The team had a coach they loved last year (and yes he had flaws) but he had the team believing in itself. Not just the young guys but the vets like Horcoff as well. It killed me to watch management do nothing at the trade deadline last year when they were actually in the playoffs – and the team was crushed by mgmt inaction. With a much crappier lineup Kruger had those guys in the hunt – and a sensible manager does whatever is necessary to show some faith in the team – the young guys needed that. The players knows why they did nothing and it doesn’t take a genius outsider to figure it out either. But Kruger is gone and all the guys that were blooming under him have been traded or crucified by a young coach who is way way way out of his depth with zero support.

This isn’t going to be pretty going forward my friend until mgmt is purged from top to bottom – that’s the problem – and I hope at least one or two of the #1s are still around when those guys are finally canned. But it’s dark days………

153. VanOil says:

If the Oilers could stop the Ducks shooting the puck so often they might have a chance.

154. jp says:

hunter1909:
    Don’t fuck with Andrew Ference.

On the ice.

155. Gerta Rauss says:

Agreed.

I hope they rotate Fedun in as well-we know that Nultz isn’t going to be here for the last 20 games, let’s get these kids some NHL games.

156. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I swear to god the refs hate us.

4 Ducks PP. 0 Oilers PP.

Ooops, had to stay for one more post. Broken record time:

[Favoured Bettman US Market Team] x PP, [any Canadian team except the Leafs] x-5 PP (assuming infractions are equal and comparable on both sides)

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Something that just occurred to me… has Slovakia shown any interest in Marincin for the Olympics?

I ask this knowing basically nothing about the state of Slovakia’s pro D corps.

158. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ference trying to kill Bryz or get those Hooters wings.

159. Gerta Rauss says:

This thread needs an appearance by BlackJacques and we’ll have come full circle.

Gerta Rauss: Agreed.

Yeah, Fedun has to be next up, he’s back and scored a goal tonight. Curtis Hamilton kept it rolling with an assist, Moroz goal and +2 last time i checked on Nurse.

161. VanOil says:

Gerta Rauss:
    This thread needs an appearance by BlackJacques and we’ll have come full circle

jerk.

..or maybe Marincin gets sent out tomorrow. lol.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

1 more goal and we can get those wings…

first another Ducks PP.

164. danny says:

This isn’t a sarcastic question, just one of a man that has chosen to devote more evenings to his fairer half and is following via the scoreboard and blog, but how can this be a ‘oilers playing well’ night when the shots are currently 30-13?

165. hunter1909 says:

Oh oh.

I figured oilers were semi still in this game, but if Ducks score the next one it’s 5-2 and another rout beckons.

166. danny says:

Have we reached the stage where we are the parents that praise participation medals?

167. Gerta Rauss says:

danny:

We’re all winners!!

168. rich says:

Never fails, you praise a young kid for what he does, and then he makes a mistake.

Too bad. Marincin has been playing pretty good too. Can’t wait for the coach to hang him out to dry in the post game presser.

169. VanOil says:

danny:

Yes, 3 years ago. The drink helps.

170. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 1 more goal and we can get those wings…

This instantly wins the Lowetide driest humor prize for 2014.

171. Oilanderp says:

Andrew Cogliano, 11pts in last 11 games. They don’t need him tonight however given the offensive prowess of Lovejoy and Jackman.

172. danny says:

There’s a lot to love about MacT… and I find his resolve on Eakins a little reassuring. Then that memory of him talking about challenging for a division title before the 2007 season, and a little splash of fear washes over me. Did I mention I’ve turned mostly grey since 2008? No joke.

danny:

I mailed yours, but the mailman looked old. He does his best, though.

174. hunter1909 says:

Just saw a random US commercial featuring a family enjoying togetherness inside a van but seeing how it’s 2014 I just thought it was a homeless family living inside the thing.

Combined with this game…I’m having a drink. I know, I’m a bad man.

175. sliderule says:

The oilers are amazing they can turn first round picks into second rounders.

Nash to Marincin

Cogliano to Roy.

Simply amazing!

176. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: We’re all winners!!

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes:

177. VanOil says:

Is Terry Jones down in Anaheim tonight? If he takes a selfie from Hooters eating free wings it should make the front page.

178. Bulging Twine says:

I thought Acton was a veteran coach

179. Bulging Twine says:

We’ll know Eakins is on his way out when we hear Stauffer start to prepare the fanbase for his exit.

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bulging Twine:
    I thought Acton was a veteran coach

I thought he was a Keith.

181. danny says:

OK game time… who ya got for the game winger?

I take Penner!

182. Bulging Twine says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought he was a Keith.

You may be right, let me look that up

183. VanOil says:

danny:
    OK game time… who ya got for the game winger?

I take Penner!

Well played.

184. Bulging Twine says:

Btw, what is Stauffer saying about Eakins? I haven’t listened for a while.

185. danny says:

risk management and insurance advertising, on wings night against the Oilers… slick move Insight.

186. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducks announcers drawing up 21 and 26 standing still in the slot and giving up a chance.

187. Rebilled says:

danny,

I take Lovejoy.

188. Romulus Apotheosis says:

7th (and basically 8th) PP for the Ducks. Oilers with none. Yet… no PP goals (yet). what a weird special teams game.

189. VanOil says:

So due to penalties Yak gets his ass stapled to the bench despite scoring. Happy new year young man, enjoy the wings.

190. danny says:

Man, a buncha games ago someone accidentally high sticked Ference, and he had a cut on his nose… it was 2 mins. Nobody (blog or TV) made a deal out of it so I figured I was out of touch (again)… but that was a 4 min for an accidental bleeder. Gah.

191. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Fuck. Petry.

Ducks announcers at least can see how good he is…. they’ve been raving about him all night.

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, the PK is working. after tonight the % should enjoy a boost.

193. Gerta Rauss says:

If there is a Hockey Gord, we’ll get our first PP and bag a quick one and make this interesting.

194. flyfish1168 says:

will we reach 10 penalties against us tonight

195. RexLibris says:

Not watching the game but went to ES to check out the stats.

Oilers are getting absolutely killed by virtually every metric except faceoffs.

Ducks CF% is 71.6. FF% is 77.1.

So much for controlling play and shot attempts.

The only good news is that the Flames were shutout tonight for the third time in four games.

196. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

197. danny says:

winger winger chicken dinner!

198. Romulus Apotheosis says: