OILERS AT JETS, G51 13-14

A significant portion of the Edmonton Oilers history involves the Winnipeg Jets. One of the great comebacks in team history (1990) came at the expense of the Jets, something that still lives in their fanbase and haunts them. You’ll hear all kinds of stories about that series if you ask a Jets or Flames fan of a certain vintage, but the fact remains this game could have gone either way.

There was a time when the Hockey Gods smiled on our Oilers, and it was long ago.

LINEUP FOR THIS AFTERNOON

• RNH-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Perron-Jones
  • Gordon-Smyth-Hendricks
  • Arcobell0-Gazdic-Joensuu
  • Marincin-Petry
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • Belov-Potter
  • Bryzgalov

Lineups lifted from this article. No Yakupov, No Hemsky, so the fun level of the game is going to be reduced. Ryan Jones keeps showing up in unusual places, a couple of fights and now the second line. I wonder if there’s interest from another team. The top line is back together, Gagner is at center (Hendricks does appear to be a utility player) and Joensuu draws back in (and maybe Potter too).

PETRY

A lot of negative talk about the Oilers best defenseman these days, which (if history repeats) will have him on another team within a couple of years. Part of the problem for the Oilers is the fanbase is absolutely incapable of embracing a finesse defenseman. This just in: Lidstrom was a finesse defenseman. schultz player cardPetry’s having a tough time of it but he’s certainly the best available man for the current club. I’m very impressed with the Marincin/Petry pairing and wonder if the Oilers roll that out now through the end of the season. Smid-Petry was effective early in their time together, Petry does seem to be adaptable.

player usageThis is the Vollman Sledgehammer via Extra Skater, you’ll have to click on it to see things properly. Petry is in the tough zone, with difficult opposition and a severe zone start to boot, so the group who want him out of town are really not looking at the complete picture. This is the team’s most effective defenseman playing difficult minutes and surviving. I’d rather trade Justin Schultz.

cox yakupovMr. Cox and his astute prose have been discussed in these pages before (notably here) and I wouldn’t post this but wanted to make a point: folks, it is open season on the Oilers. Various members of the HNIC panel have been putting the boots to them for weeks, Darren Dreger keeps mentioning “Oilers” “Cam Ward” and “Jordan Eberle” in sentences that come close together and then there’s Cox with this piece of brilliance.

I think Oilers fans should have more confidence in Craig MacTavish. We can discuss the wisdom of the Srivens for Dubnyk exchange, but I think we can agree that the GM couldn’t bring DD back next season without a large degree of risk. If the club signed Dubnyk this summer, and rolled him out as the #1 guy, I’m reasonably confident things would have worked out well. It’s not my ass on the line. If it failed, MacT would look like a goober. There aren’t many General Managers in history that would have handled the Dubnyk performance this season differently.

I don’t think the Oilers are going to deal Yakupov, but if they did the price would be miles past Reimer. The Oilers got Scrivens for a third round draft pick!!!! Reimer isn’t that much better (if at all), and he’s not a helluva lot more proven, either. Is he worth a second? I don’t know, but it’s one helluva lot less than Yak City.

All of this (HNIC, Cox, the Cam Ward-Eberle stuff) is beginning to piss me off. So, I’m starting my own rumor mill and will have something for you daily.arco

HOCKEY DAY IN CANADA

sheehan

The only time I got to see Bobby Sheehan (that I can recall) was on HNIC. Cesare Maniago too, in Minnesota and Danny O’Shea in  St. Louis. The NHL wasn’t on television every night in the 1960′s, and the expansion teams rarely got a  chance on the national stage. Toronto-Montreal, Toronto-Boston, Montreal-Rangers, that’s what we got on television when I was a kid. Once in a long while there would be a game with the North Stars, or I remember a late west coast game involving LA-Montreal (Juha Widing!) but it was so rare to see the expansion teams in those early years.

My Dad used to work six days a week, so Saturday nights were a special time for me as a kid. In the summer, the neighbor man would come over and play cribbage with Dad on Saturday nights, and this was in the 1960s when kids would ‘speak when spoken to’ when visitors were over. So fall and winter Saturday nights for me were really a time when the adults in my life were completely interactive. Loud, laughing, with beer, cards, the game on the television (“turn on the tv, the Maple Leafs are on, Jim!” my Grandma would say) and I could talk to my Dad about Frank Mahovlich, and Dave Keon and Tim Horton. We hated Montreal, I grew to love Bobby Orr, steal my first beer (Lucky Lager!), steal mints, learn poker, blackout whist, cribbage, fall asleep on Grandma’s old sofa with the warmest quilt I’ve ever known, gain comfort from happy adult voices as I drifted off to sleep.

I would often wake up at Grandma’s house, on that sofa, and run home Sunday mornings. I have so many memories from HNIC sometimes it feels like everything revolved around them, and in a way, for a working man like my Dad, Saturday night with the hockey game was one of the few times when recreation and relaxing were available. That’s what HNIC is for me, a grand tradition that has stretched out over miles and years, and over many generations of players. It’s part of the fabric, just like that old sofa.

271 Responses to "OILERS AT JETS, G51 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. edmoil3 says:

Why would they put hall smyth perron and Gazdig center?

2. lazerguidedmelody says:

Jones on the second line? Ye gods…

3. vesci says:

I love the Kadri rumour LT and it’s slightly more plausible than The Cox rumour. Anything that may make Leafs fans heads explode makes me smile and provides some joy in my Oiler fan existence.

4. lazerguidedmelody says:

edmoil3,

That’ll be LT listing his lines in inverse order of sideburn length.

5. vesci says:

Bohologo,

I echo this100%

If it weren’t for you LT would have lost interest in the season long ago. I probably spend more time in a week reading your articles than I do watching games. This is of course mainly because your writing is more entertaining.

Thanks for all your efforts

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Bohologo,

Seconded. Lines like “…gain comfort from happy adult voices as I drifted off to sleep.” cut right to the heart of the human experience. It’s incredible to get that while reading a hockey blog.

EDIT: Whoops, thirded not seconded…not fast enough!

7. book¡je says:

There is a problem with your Vollman chart, none of the blue colours are showing up and all of the Oilers are pink through red.

book¡je:

bookje: We have this problem every time I publish one of these charts. The red zone is for loading and unloading, the blue zone is for other teams.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think were at the point where it would be prudent for LT, or someone on his behalf, to root through the back-catalog and pull items together, maybe in broad categories (biographical; oilers history; original six; expansion; random) and put them into a book form.

There’s some really good writing here. It deserves a wider audience.

10. edwards_daddy says:

book¡je,

The Kings stole all the blue ink for their chart

11. Pouzar says:

God help me if we lose today. Sittin behind the OIler bench with the biggest Jets homer sitting right by me. You guys are guranteed to see one scrap on HDIC.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

1990 I was 10. That was my Stanley. The others I was invested in, cheered for, etc… but not in the way a 10 year old finally can.

Some kids develop their fan-consciousness earlier, or later, but I bet most hit full-blown awareness at age 10.

That season, Messier, the Oilers… they were everything.

———–
    Belov-Potter

As a coaching decision this obviously the right choice… but the GM is going to want 15 to player isn’t he?

———-
    On Cox… That is such BS. But… it’s good that it is out there (just like the Dreger comment earlier in the year that the Leafs wouldn’t trade Reimer for Yak), it gives us insight into the circle-jerk that is the Big Stupid.

———–
    “We can discuss the wisdom of the Srivens for Dubnyk exchange, but I think we can agree that the GM couldn’t bring DD back next season without a large degree of risk.”

I don’t think there is much push back on the Scrivens aspect. It’s the Hendricks aspect that is hard to swallow.

Sign Winnik and Kulemin in the off season and let Dubnyk walk or trade him for a pick. Hendricks is a complete boondoggle.

13. Pouzar says:

LT,

I was going to post this last night and just noticed the WIllis column but did Fedun kill MacT’s favorite puppy or something? What am I missing?

14. book¡je says:

Maybe Krueger took the last of the blue ink with him just in case he was fired by Skype.

Pouzar:
    LT,

They’re waiting to offload Nick and possibly Anton.

16. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: They’re waiting to offload Nick and possibly Anton.

17. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed on the Hendricks angle. His addition pretty much prohibits the addition of one of Raymond, Kulemin or Winnik.

From what I have seen, I’d pursue Winnik aggressively this off-season.

If Hendricks is here to replace Smyth as a 3rd or 4th line option then maybe it works because then they still have room for Winnik and guest. If not…

18. oilersfan says:

I am not on twitter so could somebody post the rumour the leafs had approached the oilers to trade Morgan Rielly for Richard Bachman but the Oilers insisted the leafs add Kulemin and a first round pick.

Pouzar: Man I hope so b/c Fedun hasn’t got a legit string of games up here to prove anything. Last thing I wanna see his him as a regular NHL d-man somewhere else.

20. KSC10032 says:

Bobby Sheehan was a very flashy player in what was a flashy era.

He played here in the 2nd and 3rd years of the WHA before returning to the NHL (as a team to team nomad). Even for that era, he was a smurf, but he was arguably the fastest skater in pro hockey, although even he had no idea where he was going or what he was doing out there.

And — in a time where training and dietary regimens were not even dreamed of, and where player foibles were politely ignored by the media — his “lifestyle issues” were the stuff of legend.

Think Marchant/Cogliano with 2X Mironov beverage consumption. Needless to say, one of my very favorites.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    LT,

I think Willis identified it in his column.

Probably have to wait until 15 gets traded for Fedun to come back up.

22. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I think he might be a little shy on foot speed and that’s an Eakins deal breaker. If they move Belov, it isn’t as much an issue.

Dallas needs to find a new deal then cause the kid can play.

23. RexLibris says:

Damien Cox is a troll.

If he were in the blogosphere as opposed to a featured media “personality” he would be recognized as such.

24. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think Willis identified it in his column.The obvious choice (15) they probably don’t want to sit, because they are “showcasing” him. Probably have to wait until 15 gets traded for Fedun to come back up.

25. RexLibris says:

I’m with LT. I think Fedun *may* get a shot once N. Schultz is moved.

The only thing preventing that is if Larsen gets healthy around the same time.

But if both Belov and N. Schultz are gone at the deadline then I think Larson and Fedun could see NHL daylight – which in the case of the Oilers is more like the light of an oncoming train.

On Fedun’s footspeed being a potential deal-breaker with Eakins, I think he overlooks it if the kid can make a solid pass out of the zone and learns to close his gaps well.

Footspeed is one of Eakins’ preferences, but I’m also working off of MacTavish’s talk on defenders this summer, which I believe is part of the philosophical connection he has with Eakins.

The final month of the season could have two and one quarter rookie defensemen on the back end (Marincin, Fedun, J. Schultz) alongside Petry, Ference and Larsen. And Larsen has only logged 111 games.

Man that is one green blue.

26. RexLibris says:

So, any bets on whether the Oilers can get to 200+ GA before the Olympic break? 22 goals away with ten games to go.

27. justDOit says:

Billy Sheehan is also a great musician – he knows a little bit about playing bass!

Oops: Well, the name is close, and it’s a great bass solo. Now to finds me some coffee!

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

From what I have seen, I’d pursue Winnik aggressively this off-season.

Don’t forget Joensuu is here next year too.

That’s Hendricks, Joensuu under contract for the 4th line next year.

Add in the probable: Gazdic and you’ve got a spot for a spare (who may be Gazdic). So… Smyth?

At any rate, Winnik and Kulemin should be challenging for 3rd line duties… but the conflict of warm bodies at some point doesn’t care about line assignments… there are just too many “who at best are a non-factor” here.

I mean fuck: a line of Hendricks, Joensuu and Gazdic doesn’t look very good. Only one of them can PK for crepe’s sake.

(mmmm crepes… where’s those Mandelbaum boys from Magic Pan?)

30. Marcus Oilerius says:

The Vollman Sea of Red is more like it… that’s ugly.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oilersfan:

I’m just freshly on twitter… but haven’t seen that.

Pouzar: I all want is a decent audtion for Fedun. Looks like Marincin has a decent chance to play out the string…if Fedun shows well there’s a nice bottom pairing for next season.

Well, the other thing is that the GM suggested Klefbom might ride out the post deadline string with the big club recently… big mistake IMO (he’s not near as ready as we hoped).

But… if Fedun comes up after the deadline and plays out the season that more than enough time to showcase himself to the GM going forward.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Larson

He’s the lost man.

No one even knows what is wrong with him. Eakins was flabbergasted when he talked about it a couple of weeks back… that probably means so are the doctors.

Which probably means it isn’t an injury per se… but maybe something much more serious, or perhaps trivial like Mono. I wouldn’t want to speculate… but I wouldn’t bet on anything soon. hope he’s ok.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Wonderful post, LT, especially that closing section. Knew I could count on you on Hockey Day in Canada, you always roll out your very best stuff from the top shelf of the cabinet on such occasions.

KSC10032: Bobby Sheehan was a very flashy player in what was a flashy era.

I saw Bobby Sheehan play a bunch of games in ’74-75, the first year of the Coliseum which coincided with the first year I had a paying job and some access to wheels. Little guy (5’8, 160), could skate like the wind and on too many shifts was about as visible! In my experience he never had a wire-to-wire great game but he’d invariably have one little stretch, maybe just one shift or even one rush where he’d wind it up from his own territory and off he’d go at 120 mph, and all hell would break loose as the Sheehan-inspired Oil would storm the Bastille. Sometimes they’d even score, at minimum there’d be maximum entropy, with a big pile-up in front of the cage as everybody went balls to the wall to try to drive it home. And then next shift you’d be looking for Bobby to pick up where he’d left off and likely as not he’d be gone with the wind.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He’s the lost man.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    The Vollman Sea of Red is more like it… that’s ugly.

With Extra Skater colour coding, the Oilers Vollman Sledgehammer looks like the Red Wedding.

36. Bos8 says:

At the risk of dim sight (old age) – Damn, that looks like Jimmie Roberts.

Bos8:
    At the risk of dim sight (old age) – Damn, that looks like Jimmie Roberts.

It is, good eye. Roberts in the Blues uni, Sheehan Seals and then someone (Bob Hess???) in background.

38. thefinn says:

Given your description of Saturday nights and the mention of old Leafs, I have to recommend to you “Keon and Me” by Dave Bidini. This is probably old news to you but, if not, check the book out.

thefinn:

Christmas present, already started. :-)

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: I have expressed concern about Larsen’s “illness” on Twitter 2 or 3 different times, even asking a couple of folks who are closer to the scene if they know what the hell is wrong with him. Sometimes if a guy goes on IR for whatever reason, that reason will remain “current” even as it’s just a convenience, but at some point you’d have to think if he’s healthy they’d send him down to OKC if nothing else. Instead … silence. It’s unnerving.

I hope they are just burying him in no-man’s land. The alternatives are frightening… Persistent unexplained medical issues are really not cool.

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

Bos8:
    At the risk of dim sight (old age) – Damn, that looks like Jimmie Roberts.

Roberts was a very useful utility player, could play defence or wing and piss you off from either spot. He shuttled from Montreal to St. Louis and back throughout his career. He won a couple of Cups in Montreal as a young player, then the Blues got him in the first expansion draft and he played in what are still the only three Stanley Cup Finals in franchise history, losing twice to the Habs (natch) & once to LT’s Bruins. Then when Scotty Bowman moved on to Montreal, the Habs traded to get him back and he won three more Cups. Then when he was done they sent him back to St. Loo for a 3rd round draft pick 2 years down the line which the Habs converted into Guy Carbonneau FFS. Fucking Sam Pollock.

The Jets are 9th in the NHL in HomeFen with 53.2%

The Oilers are 29th in the NHL in RoadFen with 42.2%

This one shouldn’t be close, but the bogey is always goaltending and puck luck.

Its funny, I follow some Jets bloggers on twitter and read stuff about them.

There’s tons of angst about the team in the MSM and the Al Gore and they just fired their coach.

What the MSM never, and I mean never questions is the goalie.

WIN gave a career .906 starter a 5 year deal and anointed him the starter.

That ranks up their with the Khabby deal.

If they had a team SV% of .921 they’d be fighting for a playoff spot.

All the MSM can write about is how Bufyginingin and Kane are problems. Total coincidence that they are both black, right?

MSM beating the drum to run the two best players out of town and no one spill a drop of ink about the horrid goaltending.

Nice to see insanity in hockey reporting isn’t limited to TOR and EDM and mittenstringers are everywhere.

43. fuzzy muppet says:

For the first time since, well I can’t even remember it’s been so long, I’m making no effort to watch, record or listen to the game today. This team is horrible, the coach is beyond terrible and Management, well I don’t think a word exists to describe how inept they are.

I’ll find it oddly pleasing that they will go out and get smoked by a Jets team that’s coached by an actual NHL head man. Pay attention MacT….

44. Bos8 says:

Like it was yesterday. Frank would blast up the ice, pass to Keon in the middle. Puck would hop over his stick, Armstrong would fan on it. This would go on all night. Then Hewitt, “And Keon skated miles again tonight”.

That’s because he couldn’t take a pass. He sure was no Kelly.

When reminded, I’m still bitter about the Big M in Toronto.

Woodguy:
    The Jets are 9th in the NHL in HomeFen with 53.2%

The Oilers are 29th in the NHL in RoadFen with 42.2%

This one shouldn’t be close, but the bogey is always goaltending and puck luck.

Its funny, I follow some Jets bloggers on twitter and read stuff about them.

What the MSM never, and I mean never questions is the goalie.

WIN gave a career .906 starter a 5 year deal and anointed him the starter.

That ranks up their with the Khabby deal.

If they had a team SV% of .921 they’d be fighting for a playoff spot.

All the MSM can write about is how Bufyginingin and Kane are problems.Total coincidence that they are both black, right?

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

thefinn:

Thanks for the reminder, I really need to get my hands on this. Keon was one of my boyhood heroes, and a complicated man who I have almost forgiven for refusing to come to Edmonton when the Oilers tried to buy en masse the top players of the Minnesota Folding Saints. Wonderful player.

47. DeadmanWaking says:

Wonderful post today.

Bruce McCurdy: And then next shift you’d be looking for Bobby to pick up where he’d left off and likely as not he’d be gone with the wind.

Bobby: fineffervescent

Lowetide: finesservescent

48. speeds says:

If EDM is unconcerned about the age of guys like Hendricks and Ference, and given the perceived need for D,any chance they are high bidder on Orpik? That’s assuming he goes UFA., he could well re-sign in PIT, but PIT does have a lot of young D and might rather keep the $ it would cost to re-sign Orpik for F depth?

Anyone watch the Pens regularly, is Orpik able to play both sides, what’s your take on Orpik?

49. Bos8 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Good eye. Even at low resolution Roberts remains coyote ugly, but the proof is his number 6 on his skate boot, a useful identifier that has long since left the game.

Honest, didn’t even notice the number six. Just the butt ugly and the St Lou uni. And totally right – Awesome Sam Pollock.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Pavelec has put up a .899% this year, while Montoya has put up a .921 behind the same team.
    WIN gave a career .906 starter a 5 year deal and anointed him the starter.
    That ranks up their with the Khabby deal.

My favorite Peg move was re-signing KC while he still had TWO years left on his GM contract.

51. Ben says:

Woodguy,

Hemsky is soft.

Yakupov is enigmatic.

Byfuglien and Evander Kane and Subban are overconfident.

Patrick Kane is ‘just a kid’.

52. oilersfan says:

I think the chances of getting a B prospect like Orpik or Winnik are close to zero. Hmmm perennial contender in the US (Orpik is American) or from sunny California. I bet cogs thanks tambo every day for trading him to Anaheim and jschultz curses his agents for the reverse bonehead move of leaving Anaheim for good ole ourtown.

53. Pouzar says:

Off to MTS Centre…keep it classy folks…the first line is back and gonna dominate!

54. Thinker says:

I don’t really like Subban, I think he is selfish. He is always trying to do something with the puck, and 9/10 times he turns it over at the red line. I’ve hated him since the wjc. Buff and Kane on the other hand are both players I would love to have. They have the penner knock, but I think that that is overstated. Penner would be huge for this team. Big players who aren’t fast seem to get labelled as lazy, unless they are face punchers; it’s sickening. I think there must be some underlying racism in hockey too, thought I hate to admit that.

55. Ice Sage says:

All the chat on the last thread about a coaching change… Exhibit A will be today – I can’t see this version of the Oilers winning against a more organized, newly-confident and inspired Jets team, ‘talent’ be damned.
    Maybe Claude Noel can come on as an assistant
    Or Dave Bidini for that matter

56. commonfan14 says:

Lowetide: That thing about players like Kane, Buff and Subban being trouble is the great unstated item in this year’s hockey media. I mean, you’d think they were Russians!

Darren Pang broached the subject a while back…

57. Pouzar says:

Thinker:

Buff likes to give it away as well. Nature of the beast,

58. thefinn says:

A fabulous read and perhaps consolation to Oiler fans when one considers the plight of Leaf fans.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Posted this on twitter:

that first goal by Anderson… we could really use that.

Oddly, Hemsky is the best bet on the current team to pull that off… and he’s the “soft” one.

60. FastOil says:

Thanks LT for the hundreds of days of something palatable to do with the Oilers. I also like the book idea, you have written many interesting and engaging things.

I fear Fedun’s biggest challenge at making the Oilers is his size first of all. He’ll have to point like Karlsson, I can’t see the Oilers wanting a 190 lb 6/7 D that isn’t physical and doesn’t fight.

I hope they move him so he gets a fair shot.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14: Darren Pang broached the subject a while back…

OOfff…

that’s is one hell of a freudian slip!!!!!

Ben:
    Woodguy,

Hemsky is soft.

Yakupov is enigmatic.

Byfuglien and Evander Kane and Subban are overconfident.

Patrick Kane is ‘just a kid’.

Nailed it.

Romulus Apotheosis: OOfff…

that’s is one hell of a freudian slip!!!!!

64. TheOtherJohn says:

Hope Fedun gets a real chance at an NHL career. Window is closing because Oilers won’t be an abomination forever………will they? Hope Klefbom gets another 70-80 games in OKC to get to play alot and settle in to NA hockey.Still think he’ll be a player. When Rom lists our 4L and then you thing what Chicago does with it’s 4L.Wow! Noting that Chicago just sent Anaheim a nice message last night.chicago’s problem may still be STL

If Kane and Buff are such problems in Winnipeg, I would trade for them. They’d be expensive. No, much more expensive than that. But both would fill a clear need on this team. Expect it will cost someone (or two) from the core moving out in that trade. We might want to sign Hemsky because we’ll certainly have 1 less RW after the trade

Lastly Dubnyk was not traded for Scrivens. We just acquired a shitty contract on an older player playing on our 4L for 3 more years. To dump an expiring contract.

65. Bruce McCurdy says:

commonfan14: Darren Pang broached the subject a while back…

There’s a Freudian slip for the ages right there.
    (Edit: as Rom has already noted)

66. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: lol. Hahaha. words. dammit! One time I introduced the Midnite Rodeo Band’s everyone’s going country without including the r in country. I just sat there. Words.

No wonder you get so touchy any time Dennis mentions the Habs.

67. Logan91 says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    The Vollman Sea of Red is more like it… that’s ugly.

It’s a blood bath

68. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Posted this on twitter:

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Interesting how many guys from that vid wound up in management/coaching. Off the current Oilers, Lowe, MacT, Buchberger, Smith, and (in a marginal role both in that highlight package and in the current scheme of things), Messier. Past Oiler assistants include Lamb & Huddy, while Ranford is a high-profile goalie coach and Kurri is the face of Hockey Finland or whatever it’s called.

Don’t forget Simpson too, though he’s moved on obviously.

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Don’t forget Simpson too, though he’s moved on obviously.

Duh, yes of course.

71. VanOil says:

A Death in the family has me maudlin.

LTs great post is not helping.

CBCs broadcast feels like a requiem for great hockey coverage.

Expecting Sportsnet to up its game to this level seems more foolish than expecting the Oilers to make the playoffs next year. They lack the Oilers raw talent.

An amusing thought just hit me, Cassie Campbell as a replacement for Steve Smith on the bench. I know there is less of a chance of that than a black Russian becoming an MSM favorite but I think she would do a great job.

72. Alsker says:

Wow, we really are a one line wonder today. Jones on the second and Gags back at center, poor Perron. At least the chosen ones are back together, maybe we’ll see a little more emotion from them today. Looking at the 4th line wonder if they’ll see 6 minutes today(not sure if that would be a bad thing). Oh well, here’s to an afternoon of “Oiler injuries for this/that” . With Yak out which Russian gets the ire of the CBC today?

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Duh, yes of course.

What do you make of Eakins’ comments yesterday:

“We used it in the video today (Friday) to show the players that all the teams are promoting back pressure and the forwards coming back hard aren’t pulling up. They’re looking to steal the puck or if a player turns up or gets stalled, they’ll hit you. It’s not a place to stop or stickhandle because somebody’s coming from the other side.”

given what you wrote here:

74. Bag of Pucks says:

Loved the post today. Am hugely nostalgic over HNIC as well. My memories of this venerable institution start with those entertaining Leafs teams of the 70s. Sittler, Palmateer, Salming, Lanny, Turnbull, Tiger, etc. Damn those Habs. Some of those Buds teams deserved a better fate.

Hopefully Rogers doesn’t screw up our beloved broadcast.

In regards to Petry, I think the issues are twofold.

1) Petry shows an edge to his game at times, and by eye, he appears a more effective player when he’s feeling feisty. This leaves the fan wanting more. It’s the hockey equivalent of the c@$ktease.

2) For 99% of the. dmen in this league, defence is not a finesse position alone. Lidstrom was supernatural. Clearing the slot, winning board battles, blocking shots, etc. these tasks are part of the job description and Petry doesn’t always demonstrate the necessary appetite for destruction.

75. DeadmanWaking says:

That word, effervescent, if it lingers on your tongue, somehow seems to hail from the wrong side of the tracks.

***

Slartibartfast, I’d like you to meet Hefferpuscrunt. Heffe–if I may call you that–designs little seahorses by the seashore, and assorted crenellated creepies of that nature. I think you two will get along famously.

And they did. Until one night, in the pique of ecstasy–after perhaps a wee bit of dram–Slartibartfast sputtered out the wrong paroxysmal endearment. Oh, Slutiblurtfest, how could you?

After a frosty breakfast, followed by a frigid lunch, Slartibartfast suddenly declares, “You know, I never thought I did full justice to the Svalbard archipelago. I think I’ll be off for a bit to touch it up. It’s a long journey, as you know.”

Hefferpuscrunt: Well, if you’re going so far as that, you might want to tidy up the Vestvågøya while you’re at it. It really wasn’t your best work, despite what everyone says.

Slartibartfast: You’ll be well here on your own?

Hefferpuscrunt: I’ve been meaning for so long now to rework the radula of my little Architaenioglossa. It’ll be a great opportunity. I do get so absorbed in my work, you know.

Slartibartfast: Toodles.

Hefferpuscrunt: Toodlooboohoo.

76. Captain Smarmy says:

I really enjoy when you tie in your family moments with hockey. Shows where your love of the sport comes from.

Those stories remind me of my childhood only it wasn’t hockey with Grandma it was game shows with Grandma. So much The Price is Right.

77. OilClog says:

All I know is after the game, Eakins will declare Yakupov costed the team the victory with his costly play on the 2nd goal against this afternoon.

10-2 Jets

78. G Money says:

RexLibris:

How do I take the over on the over on that??

79. book¡je says:

I suspect when my kids tell similar stories in the future it will include something like the following:

…and part way through the game Dad would always throw something at the TV and yell “Fuck this team”. Sometimes he would just put his head in his hands and cry. Really, I think it was the Oilers that killed him – his heart just couldn’t stand the constant disappointment and it just gave up like a back checking Oiler. Those days were great...

80. Bruce McCurdy says:

VanOil: I know there is less of a chance of that than a black Russian becoming an MSM favorite

I would be surprised if a Black Russian isn’t a media favourite.

This goddam team. WHERE has this been?

82. VanOil says:

Bruce McCurdy: I would be surprised if a Black Russian isn’t a media favourite.

I knew I was keeping that bottle of Kahlua around for a reason.

83. stephen sheps says:

I wish I knew this version of the team was going to show up today. I might have decided not to start drinking at 2PM…

(And for the Ontarians amongst us, Lake of Bays Crosswind Pale Ale has become my new favorite, and a nice break from the Sask. Champagne I’ve been enjoying so much since its return to ON last year.)

84. Bryan says:

There are not too many positives to take from this season so far but Martin Marincin is certainly one of them. By eye and by numbers he looks like a beauty!

85. teddyturnbuckle says:

Love the line up tonight with no Hemsky and Yakupov. Finally a meat and potatoes team. 3 rd and 4 th lines look good so far. Kids keep turning in over!!!!!! Same old story. Top six is the problem on this team.

86. G Money says:

Looks like the Oiler Hockey Gords are having their way with Hendricks. Didn’t even wait two games.

Marincin has to stay on his feet.

88. Psyche says:

Arcobello, by my eye, is better at puck possession and defensive pursuit than Gagner. Nice to see him on the PK. Be nice to see less of Gagner, he doesn’t fit.

89. OilClog says:

Well that was a short lived Oiler career.

90. teddyturnbuckle says:

Two great blocks though

Do we have an update on 83?

92. Rebilled says:

Hooking at least on Perron there. FFS

93. VanOil says:

Do we have an update on 83?

I don’t know but Matty had some half way nice words for him this week so it is now possible to ice your ankle in Hell.

Ryan Smyth has been a revelation this season, age 90.

95. teddyturnbuckle says:

Don’t mind Hall elbowing people in the face. That’s how Messier bought himself space

Hall with a Gordie elbow, that might get him a game or a fine.

97. Gerta Rauss says:

Bryz has not inspired a lot of confidence this morning. A scratchy start all around.

98. VanOil says:

The defender on the ice play that Marincin was doing when the puck is in the back corner was just done by Nick Schultz is this being coached? It is becoming a trend over the last few games.

99. Bryan says:

These games against Winnipeg are always fun….more like eighties hockey!

100. striatic says:

Hall with a Gordie elbow, that might get him a game or a fine.

It looked accidental to me.

I’m mean yeah, you should keep your elbows down, generally speaking, but Hall was looking the other way the whole time, and most of the force of impact came from Wheeler’s momentum.

101. stephen sheps says:

Can I retract my previous statement? Now I remember why I started drinking… Please, Bryz, stay in your crease!

102. leadfarmer says:

Bryz overreacts to the puck yet again. I’ll be ok if they go with someone else next year.

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 3m

Further tests reveal that Ales Hemsky’s ankle is not broken. And, contrary to the Oilers game notes, Yakupov is not on IR

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Do we have an update on 83?

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 3m

———-
    ha! beat me to it. good.

105. Gerta Rauss says:

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 3m

Well that’s some good news. I think a lot of our players have seen enough of this organization and would be thrilled to move on at the deadline-Jones and his fighting included.

106. Big Dan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think Joensuu will be in Oiler silks next year. Had his chance, can’t skate. He will be under contract but will be playing in Europe never to be seen from again (like the other Patrick Thoresen’s of the world).

Martin Marincin stays the season UNLESS he makes a major step back. This is a nice recovery game for him.

108. Big Dan says:

oilersfan,

Plus smart teams like Pittsburgh and Anaheim don’t let guys like Brooks Orpik go (unless they replace him with a Rob Scuderi).

Dumb teams like the Oilers watch their Jaro Spacek’s and Jan Hejda’s leave without even noticing, because they are chasing white whales.

Then they put kids there and watch them fail until the fans boo their Tom Poti’s out of town. I hope the Oilers find a way to acquire a couple veterans back there and keep Darnell Nurse and Aaron Ekblad FAR FAR AWAY.

109. jp says:

Nice goal!!

And good to hear Hemsky/Yak aren’t too badly broken.

110. Wolfie says:

Nice snipe by Ebs. I really like what I’m seeing from Marincin. Good mobility, good awareness in reading developing plays and not much panic in his game.

111. VanOil says:

Belov and Bryz hurt on one play. I got to stop drinking black russians, Voodoo.

112. Rebilled says:

Is it legal to clone Nuge’s on the open seas?

113. OilClog says:

Rebilled:
    Is it legal to clone Nuge’s on the open seas?

114. Rebilled says:

OilClog,

We wait.

115. book¡je says:

OilClog,

116. Gerta Rauss says:

Rebilled:
    Is it legal to clone Nuge’s on the open seas?

We’re not sure to be honest with you-maritime law isn’t my specialty

117. jp says:

Big Dan:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think Joensuu will be in Oiler silks next year.Had his chance, can’t skate.He will be under contract but will be playing in Europe never to be seen from again (like the other Patrick Thoresen’s of the world).

I think they likely keep him as a 13/14 F. He’s not been good at all, but he also has the worst PDO in the league (and Yakupov 8th worst): http://www.extraskater.com/players/on-ice?sort=pdo&min_gp=50&dir=reverse

118. Lois Lowe says:

Gerta Rauss: We’re not sure to be honest with you-maritime law isn’t my specialty

Justice Nadon seems to know about hockey and maritime law, you should call him.

119. D says:

This game is like watching paint dry.

120. Rebilled says:

80 and 14 looking great today.

80 + 14 = 94

Smyth with the next goal 8:19 into the 3rd. Book it!

I like their effort today, but the Oilers in 2013-14 cannot string three periods together in one day. The third will be heroin.

122. Gerta Rauss says:

D:
    This game is like watching paint dry.

Was just going to post something similar…dull as dishwater. I close my eyes every time WPG is in our end and yet the goalie has yet to let one by him.

Odd.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Big Dan:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You’re thinking of some kind of Rajala-esque buyout?

124. teddyturnbuckle says:

Love Hendricks. Blocks a shot with his face and is still hitting everything in sight.

125. jp says:

Gerta Rauss: Was just going to post something similar…dull as dishwater. I close my eyes every time WPG is in our end yet the goalie has yet to let one by him.

Odd.

Well it’s going to be boring if you’re only watching half (or 1/3) of the game. :)

126. D says:

jp: Well it’s going to be boring if you’re only watching half (or 1/3) of the game.

:) – it took me a few reads to get the joke – but man that’s hilarious!

127. Marc says:

Rebilled:
    Is it legal to clone Nuge’s on the open seas?

Probably. That’s where they held the Tyson-Secretariat fight.

128. Rebilled says:

Marc,

I hope they centaured Tyson. Didn’t see that on ESPN.

129. Bryan says:

Little ridiculous seeing Nuge in a scrum with big Buff.

Hendricks is having a very nice afternoon.

131. Bryan says:

It makes my stomach queasy when I see shot blocks like the one Gordon just did.

132. teddyturnbuckle says:

Ganger isn’t looking good tonight.

133. jp says:

Yakupov wasn’t even in the picture on that one. Gheez.

134. VanOil says:

The Oilers do the Power Play WRONG again

135. D says:

That was an impressive goal.

136. Rebilled says:

Bryz must be losing his mind on the pp.

137. Halfwise says:

Watching Hendricks, I wonder if the Oilers are trading for commitment and example.

138. VanOil says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Ganger isn’t looking good this year.

Fixed it for you

139. jake70 says:

What a weak effort by Belov to get the puck in. You could see that comming a mile away once he did that.

140. G Money says:

You could see that coming from a _MILE_ away. Casual and confused at the other teams blueline – on the POWERPLAY no less – guarantees odd man breaks the other way. Guarantees it.

141. G Money says:

Just one defenseman, just one, capable of breaking a cycle and making a breakout pass the other way would do wonders.

142. teddyturnbuckle says:

That was Ryan smyth’s fault he didn’t pick up his man

143. John Chambers says:

Belov needed a more activ stick on Little there.

I bet Eakins is telling him 100 ways to play defense and he’s confused as all hell.

144. Halfwise says:

Like that.

Saw Belov bad.

146. Ice Sage says:

Don’t worry Matt, Oilers malaise will get ya soon and you won’t have to hustle, hit, block or fight anymore.

147. jp says:

Halfwise:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s much doubt about that. Who know, maybe it’ll even help…

148. G Money says:

Did I just see what I thought I saw? A finished check, a fight, a knockdown, and then Hendricks pulled a punch that would have done devastating damage AND put his hand behind to keep Stuart’s head from smashing the ice?

RESPECT and CONSIDERATION for the health of a fellow NHL player?

Just became a fan of #23.

149. gogliano says:

Halfwise:

Yeah, given the talk about him from Washington and the lack of any other credible explanation, this seems to be what they were going for.

150. G Money says:

If the Oilers could just play the Jets and Flames every game, we’d be convinced they were a team in the NHL.

151. delooper says:

Gagner seems to lose every puck battle he’s in. I guess the exception is the grinding battles along the boards where he has some support and doesn’t have to carry the play for long.

Marincin had poor position there.

153. Ice Sage says:

Easy peasy, 2-1 Jets!

154. D says:

This turn of events should come as a surprise to . . . no one.

155. G Money says:

I think that was all on Perron. He had the puck carrier on the boards covered, then for some reason thought he could poke the puck free and get a break the other way, and instead left the guy with clear possession to walk to the net.

156. prairieschooner says:

I know it was discussed earlier in the thread but I like Petry
    If nothing else he is an NHL d man and he came through our own system.
    If there are haters out there would you trade him for Nick Schultz?
    We did that already with Tom Gilbert who has been playing very well lately.
    There are many Defensive problems with the Oil but Petry is not one of them.

157. leadfarmer says:

There’s my Oilers.

158. VanOil says:

Hendricks grit and commitment seems to have sparked the Oilers to new heights!!!

159. delooper says:

To be honest I haven’t seen the Petry criticism. Reading about it (2nd hand) here today has been new to me. Criticize any other Oiler D before Petry.

160. teddyturnbuckle says:

That goal was a classic example of the oilers never throwing a bodycheck

161. leadfarmer says:

This team is not even competitive versus the Jets. The NHL should just create a division for us, Florida, Buffalo, NYI and Calgary.

162. RexLibris says:

Flames fans are going to lose their you-know-what if the Oilers drop this game.

They are watching the worst Calgary squad in a generation fall flat on their collective faces and still can’t find a way to get below the Oilers in the standings.

If you subtract pride, self-esteem, and any sense of accomplishment from the situation, it is actually quite funny.

163. Ice Sage says:

This team reminds me of the Washington Generals – just there as a token opponent, to fill a schedule. No identity, no chance.

164. SK Oiler Fan says:

How can 4 Oilers make poor plays all within 3 seconds? Get some D please MacT. Pay whatever it costs before there’s some careers wasted here.

165. nycoil says:

Ever since that atrocious PP where they gave up the short-handed goal, they’ve run around like chickens with their heads cut off. So much collapsing down on the puck that a pass back to the point and the Jets have all day to make the next play while our forwards try to close the 15 foot gap to the nearest player. Just atrocious zone coverage. And I don’t even want to go and analyze all the things wrong with that power play because we don’t have all day.

166. G Money says:

Decline it, or just send four skaters out maybe?

167. Captain Smarmy says:

This is only the second game I’ve watched this year. Is this what passes for a Power Play this year? My goodness fire whoever is running it.

168. jake70 says:

Holy shit this team doesn’t like puck posession.

169. nycoil says:

Good Gord, we are getting owned by the Jets on every puck battle, every effort play. And we’re on a man advantage…

170. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

171. delooper says:

Eberle looks lazy.

172. jzed says:

Up 1-0. Power play. 2 man advantage. Brains turn off, legs get heavy, game over,. How in the hell can anyone on this team be so arrogant as to think the time to try is over? Another proud national TV event. If Eakins is really trying to make this team better, call a freaking time out every time we get an advantage at a “turning point” time in the game, and ask, ” Who feels like giving a flying fuck this shift?”

At least we got the crowd into the game on Hockey Day.

They can’t play three periods in a row straight up, just cannot sustain.

174. flyfish1168 says:

I love our PP

175. B S says:

G Money:
    I think that was all on Perron.He had the puck carrier on the boards covered, then for some reason thought he could poke the puck free and get a break the other way, and instead left the guy with clear possession to walk to the net.

Also, Hall and Eberle have been the entirety of the offensive chances this game. So, no don’t trade our only RW who can consistently score, unless Weber is the return.

176. delooper says:

Maybe the Oilers should send Eberle and Gagner down to the minors, and bring up some players that want to try.

177. rich says:

LT predicts it. They can’t play 3 good periods and crap the bed.

Brutal PP gives Jets momentum and game.

Another year of bad hockey. Thank you Mr. 6 Rings.

178. jake70 says:

After jets tied it 1-1 , I was going to post a 3-1 loss, with empty netter…..of course will likely play out that way.

Edit.. of course as I press enter they score. This team.

179. delooper says:

If the Oilers salvage this crap game, that would be less depressing.

180. Gerta Rauss says:

huh….

181. Rebilled says:

THE REFS ARE AWESOME!

182. G Money says:

jzed: How in the hell can anyone on this team be so arrogant as to think the time to try is over?

I think this is the twentieth time this season I’ve posted this and it remains true each and every time – this team gets fat and happy faster than any other team I’ve ever watched. One win, one period, even one goal seems to be enough to convince them they can put their feet up and let “their talent” win the day.

183. Ice Sage says:

And just like that, poster boy Petry keeps LT’s streak alive! (Oilers still bite but we have a good finish)

184. SK Oiler Fan says:

amazing what happens when you put the puck on net with traffic. simple plays

185. B S says:

ah, hell. Umm, Marincin has been playing like a crippled old lady all game.

186. G Money says:

B S: Perron has been absolute sh!t this game. Haven’t been logged in for a while, but given it’s rarity I think Perron’s (lack of) game is worth pointing out today.

Maybe it was guilt from the second Jets goal, maybe he heard you – but that was at least the Perron we’ve come to know … driving the net – whaaaaaat?

187. Rebilled says:

Wow Perron

188. VanOil says:

The Oilers salvaging anything from this game is completely undeserved and completely because we have better goal tending. When Anaheim or LA double your shot count you expect it, when the Jets do you deserve it.

189. teddyturnbuckle says:

Nuge is not having a good game. Hall and Eberle look pretty good

190. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear again…

191. Captain Smarmy says:

Trouba tackles Eberle and then the Oilers play some terrible hockey and the Jets win.

192. Ice Sage says:

Deserving finish. Good for the Jets, they didn’t deserve to lose to this team.

193. jake70 says:

Give Petry the assist on the winner.

194. D says:

Petry got undressed there.

195. tcho says:

I only caught most of the third and OT. Were they that bad defensively the whole game? That was awful…

Newer Comments »