OILERS AT JETS, G51 13-14

A significant portion of the Edmonton Oilers history involves the Winnipeg Jets. One of the great comebacks in team history (1990) came at the expense of the Jets, something that still lives in their fanbase and haunts them. You’ll hear all kinds of stories about that series if you ask a Jets or Flames fan of a certain vintage, but the fact remains this game could have gone either way.

There was a time when the Hockey Gods smiled on our Oilers, and it was long ago.

LINEUP FOR THIS AFTERNOON

• RNH-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Perron-Jones
  • Gordon-Smyth-Hendricks
  • Arcobell0-Gazdic-Joensuu
  • Marincin-Petry
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • Belov-Potter
  • Bryzgalov

Lineups lifted from this article. No Yakupov, No Hemsky, so the fun level of the game is going to be reduced. Ryan Jones keeps showing up in unusual places, a couple of fights and now the second line. I wonder if there’s interest from another team. The top line is back together, Gagner is at center (Hendricks does appear to be a utility player) and Joensuu draws back in (and maybe Potter too).

PETRY

A lot of negative talk about the Oilers best defenseman these days, which (if history repeats) will have him on another team within a couple of years. Part of the problem for the Oilers is the fanbase is absolutely incapable of embracing a finesse defenseman. This just in: Lidstrom was a finesse defenseman. schultz player cardPetry’s having a tough time of it but he’s certainly the best available man for the current club. I’m very impressed with the Marincin/Petry pairing and wonder if the Oilers roll that out now through the end of the season. Smid-Petry was effective early in their time together, Petry does seem to be adaptable.

player usageThis is the Vollman Sledgehammer via Extra Skater, you’ll have to click on it to see things properly. Petry is in the tough zone, with difficult opposition and a severe zone start to boot, so the group who want him out of town are really not looking at the complete picture. This is the team’s most effective defenseman playing difficult minutes and surviving. I’d rather trade Justin Schultz.

cox yakupovMr. Cox and his astute prose have been discussed in these pages before (notably here) and I wouldn’t post this but wanted to make a point: folks, it is open season on the Oilers. Various members of the HNIC panel have been putting the boots to them for weeks, Darren Dreger keeps mentioning “Oilers” “Cam Ward” and “Jordan Eberle” in sentences that come close together and then there’s Cox with this piece of brilliance.

I think Oilers fans should have more confidence in Craig MacTavish. We can discuss the wisdom of the Srivens for Dubnyk exchange, but I think we can agree that the GM couldn’t bring DD back next season without a large degree of risk. If the club signed Dubnyk this summer, and rolled him out as the #1 guy, I’m reasonably confident things would have worked out well. It’s not my ass on the line. If it failed, MacT would look like a goober. There aren’t many General Managers in history that would have handled the Dubnyk performance this season differently.

I don’t think the Oilers are going to deal Yakupov, but if they did the price would be miles past Reimer. The Oilers got Scrivens for a third round draft pick!!!! Reimer isn’t that much better (if at all), and he’s not a helluva lot more proven, either. Is he worth a second? I don’t know, but it’s one helluva lot less than Yak City.

All of this (HNIC, Cox, the Cam Ward-Eberle stuff) is beginning to piss me off. So, I’m starting my own rumor mill and will have something for you daily.arco

HOCKEY DAY IN CANADA

sheehan

The only time I got to see Bobby Sheehan (that I can recall) was on HNIC. Cesare Maniago too, in Minnesota and Danny O’Shea in  St. Louis. The NHL wasn’t on television every night in the 1960′s, and the expansion teams rarely got a  chance on the national stage. Toronto-Montreal, Toronto-Boston, Montreal-Rangers, that’s what we got on television when I was a kid. Once in a long while there would be a game with the North Stars, or I remember a late west coast game involving LA-Montreal (Juha Widing!) but it was so rare to see the expansion teams in those early years.

My Dad used to work six days a week, so Saturday nights were a special time for me as a kid. In the summer, the neighbor man would come over and play cribbage with Dad on Saturday nights, and this was in the 1960s when kids would ‘speak when spoken to’ when visitors were over. So fall and winter Saturday nights for me were really a time when the adults in my life were completely interactive. Loud, laughing, with beer, cards, the game on the television (“turn on the tv, the Maple Leafs are on, Jim!” my Grandma would say) and I could talk to my Dad about Frank Mahovlich, and Dave Keon and Tim Horton. We hated Montreal, I grew to love Bobby Orr, steal my first beer (Lucky Lager!), steal mints, learn poker, blackout whist, cribbage, fall asleep on Grandma’s old sofa with the warmest quilt I’ve ever known, gain comfort from happy adult voices as I drifted off to sleep.

I would often wake up at Grandma’s house, on that sofa, and run home Sunday mornings. I have so many memories from HNIC sometimes it feels like everything revolved around them, and in a way, for a working man like my Dad, Saturday night with the hockey game was one of the few times when recreation and relaxing were available. That’s what HNIC is for me, a grand tradition that has stretched out over miles and years, and over many generations of players. It’s part of the fabric, just like that old sofa.

271 Responses to "OILERS AT JETS, G51 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. rich says:

Ah, another outstanding job by Gagner picking up the man in front.

Wait, oh my.

2. jzed says:

Oilers deliver on their mission to boost the confidence of everyone they play against. Talk to you again after the draft boys.

3. leadfarmer says:

Time to get a sail on Eakins post ready LT.

4. Lucinius says:

I’m amazed that there’s still people intentionally watching the Edmonton Oilers play hockey. I can only stomach watching this team play every couple games, if that sometimes. I didn’t watch today for that reason. Its just too hard to watch a team this bad.. when it shouldn’t be. If the Oilers had half the effort level of most teams.. they’d be a much better team. They’d still suck, of course, but they’d be more entertaining and suck less than the joke of a team they currently show to be.

5. nycoil says:

Who were the two forwards on the ice then who couldn’t be bothered to skate back to be below the puck? Petry got undressed and Belov wound up in the net, but where were the forwards? Trouba, the Jets’ D beat them down to the front of the net. Unacceptable effort to back check.

6. Numenius says:

I’m done with Eakins. Fire him. Should have hired Paul Maurice.

7. flyfish1168 says:

Will be an interesting post game interview with Eakins

leadfarmer:
    Time to get a sail on Eakins post ready LT.

I hope he packed the envelopes.

9. Colieo87 says:

10. SK Oiler Fan says:

man there were a lot of oilers that looked like they don’t belong in the NHL today.
    Why have 89 and 93 become so slow? they get chased down constantly.
    oh yah, only 4 dmen needed mact.

11. srisribillyg says:

Same as it ever was.

12. Fixall with Rexall says:

Trouba is a beast. He also should of had two penalties on that shift.

13. JohnnyRocket says:

Goodness. St. Louis showing up the Olympic committee today.

14. Fixall with Rexall says:

flyfish1168,

He might still blame Yakupov.

15. Ice Sage says:

flyfish1168:
    Will be an interesting post game interview with Eakins

Bah – he’s got lots of excuses – end of long, tiring road trip… refs missing 2 calls on Trouba on the winner, would have lost 5-2 if Yak was playing…

Maurice got more out of less today.

16. fifthcartel says:

Trouba is freely able to dump Belov into the net. Interesting strategy, the Oilers should take this up.

17. book¡je says:

I missed the third and the OT, but it seems very much like the team didn’t even bother to try.

Wonder how bad this is going to get? The game the other night was terrible.

18. VanOil says:

Earlier this month I projected that the Oilers would collect 5 points in January. They have achieved this already at the 18 day mark. From here on out they can only exceed my expectations this month. Vancouver twice, Phoenix, Nashville and San Jose easy pickings.

19. Alsker says:

nycoil,

“Petry got undressed”,more like Petry was trying to have a dance.. Knock the player off the puck(as we had just witnessed in the Jet zone)and no scoring chance exists. Instead poke and prod, hug and dance, panic by everyone else on the ice and we lose. What now Eakins…and no Yak to blame, oh wait there is Belov and Arco.

20. G Money says:

Colieo87: Wow what a sad state of affairs. Petry with the rebound off the opposition and belov crawling out of the net.

That Petry play was one of the reasons why there have been a lot of anti-Petry posts lately. His play and his positioning were bad through that whole sequence. That wasn’t an unusual play.

I’m not a Petry hater because I believe what you’re seeing is a really good 3D continually being asked to play 1D, and fatigue and frustration must be a big part of his game now. But you can’t deny the litany of mistakes and boneheaded plays either.

Marincin’s also breaking down because he’s being asked to play 2D or 4D every night, when he should be playing 6D and learning the game. Because Oilers defense.

And I know the announcers are talking about Trouba pushing Belov into the net, but there is no way – no way on Earth – you should ever see a 220 lb defender pushed with a single arm shove flying into the net. Never. That one’s on Belov.

21. JohnnyRocket says:

Nurse will be our Trouba. Now who will be our Bogosian?

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

They can’t play three periods in a row straight up, just cannot sustain.

Not sure they played 2, or 1 for that matter. Outplayed each period.

23. jzed says:

Boholgo wins the internet today. Dacha, LMFAO.

24. Traktor says:

Nice timing on the Petry blog post. Undressed like it was prom night.

25. the_Fab_5 says:

Petry’s corsi may be good but he got clowned on all 3 goals

stats don’t tell everything

26. Colieo87 says:

G Money,

I like petry and belov like to see them succeed but there out in positions where its just unsustainable. Breath in breath out Edmonton oiler just keep trying.

27. Wolfie says:

Petry lost a battle against a big strong man coming with speed. That happens, wheeler is no slouch when he gets going. Trouba should have gotten called on that push off but the ref was staring directly at the puck battle. The trailing ref nowhere to be seen…

28. fifthcartel says:

I’m gonna be so sad when Petry is Gilbert’d(sp?) out of town.

29. G Money says:

book¡je:

Wonder how bad this is going to get?The game the other night was terrible.

Perhaps five minutes of effort over the 22 minutes of game time.

I’m beginning to wonder if Eakins’ “fitness above all” strategy is in a backfire (assuming it’s had any effect at all). Something like this:

- Eakins watches film, sees the team tiring in games, especially against big teams
    - Identifies his hobby horse of ultra fitness, demands better VO2 results from his team
    - As a result, they work harder at cardio at the cost of strength and speed (there is always a tradeoff, and it is well established that high cardio comes at a big price in speed and strength, as fast twitch muscle fibres are repurposed to be slow twitch)
    - A team that is already smaller and weaker than most becomes even smaller and weaker, and also loses its one big advantage which is speed, and so must work that much harder to try and keep up with bigger teams
    - The result is an early deficit, where the “long distance runners” of the Oilers cannot match the weightlifters and sprinters on the other team
    - In the second period, it comes into balance, and the Oilers VO2 advantage finally shows a little edge. I don’t have data, but just out of memory, the second period seems to be the Oilers’ best many games
    - By the third period, the delta in effort required to match the strength of other teams, especially the big teams, once again overcomes the VO2 advantage
    - And we get this, your 2013-2014 Edmonton Oilers

Just a theory. Thoughts? Does it at least partially match what we’re seeing out there?

30. Ice Sage says:

the_Fab_5:
    Petry’s corsi may be good but he got clowned on all 3 goals

stats don’t tell everything

He made a nice coupla plays on the 2-2 goal. It’s really unfair to ask him to take on a flying Blake Wheeler, though.

31. JohnnyRocket says:

Petry had a bad game, but let’s keep our collective heads. Petry is still holding back the tide. Who is going to replace his minutes on this squad? Sign him long term to a value contract MacT!

32. hags9k says:

Petry. Fine player but is forced to play 2 slots higher than his ideal spot on a depth chart. Pretty much like every Oiler, because Oilers.

33. Numenius says:

G Money:

Just a theory.Thoughts?Does it at least partially match what we’re seeing out there?

In my view, emotion and motivation are some of the biggest factors.

Eakins is stunted emotionally. He’s too negative/critical and as much as he tries to be encouraging, it doesn’t come across as fully genuine.

I did note some nice signs of inspiration and giving a damn in the players today, but I don’t get the sense Eakins was responsible for that.

If he’d ever crack a fucking smile.

34. Kevin Lowe says:

And lastly I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.

35. TheOtherJohn says:

Oilers are not a strong team. Have not been for 3-4 years. Smartest guys in the room double down and add puck movers to our D. Holy shit are we bad. If you look at extra skater for today’s game we just made Winnipeg look like a truly dominant team. Winnipeg

36. Rebilled says:

New era Oiler proverb:

‘Even though you want to win, you want to lose.’

-Kevin Lowe

See you next year.

Fixall with Rexall:
    Trouba is a beast. He also should of had two penalties on that shift.

Oilogosphere conventional wisdom is that drafting defensemen in the top 10 is stupid. And that they take forever to contribute.

38. the_Fab_5 says:

Trouba singlehandidly owned the Oilers today…legit top-pairing d-man

our hope lies with the young man in SSM

godot10: Oilogosphere conventional wisdom is that drafting defensemen in the top 10 is stupid.And that they take forever to contribute.

Trouba’s a very good young D.

Today’s game doesn’t change the fact that he’s playing 3rd pairing and gets outshot worse than any Jets regular D.

Mark Stuart may be the problem there (Trouba’s 40% with him and 50% away from him and he’s his most common partner)

That’s miles from being able to handle top 2 assignments though.

The consensus is that young D are 5 years from tough assignments on draft day.

Trouba’s play does nothing to dispel that notion.

the_Fab_5:
    Trouba singlehandidly owned the Oilers today…legit top-pairing d-man

our hope lies with the young man in SSM

Maybe in 3 years.

Maybe in 2.

Not today.

I like his game a lot too and think he’ll be great, but he’s not near a top pairing Dman today.

Just re-watched that last goal.

Good Gord what is Gagner thinking?

Petry shits the bed the entire play, but Gagner does a drive by on the front of the net then goes up the boards for a pass when Petry never establishes possession.

42. Bag of Pucks says:

the_Fab_5:
    Petry’s corsi may be good but he got clowned on all 3 goals

stats don’t tell everything

Sliding on his face so Little has all day to setup for the tying goal. Letting a rook walk right through him off the wall to the slot for the go ahead goal. Coughing the puck up in OT for the winner.

Finesse.

43. Numenius says:

Nice Corsi for Petry. 54.7% 5×5 which was second highest to Arcobello’s 55.6%.

He made some mistakes, but the loss wasn’t on him.

44. G Money says:

Numenius: In my view, emotion and motivation are some of the biggest factors.

If he’d ever crack a fucking smile.

I have a tough time agree with this for a couple of reasons.

First, despite the massively utopian/revisionist idea that Krueger was somehow a magical motivator, the team last year was as gutless, heartless, and soulless most nights as they are this year. I posted so personally a half dozen times, which is why I don’t buy into the Krueger adulation. Just go back and read the game threads, and you will see what I mean.

The difference between this year and last year is that
    a. Dubnyk was as much above average as he was below average this year

b. Hall & Co. were beasts (the only ones night after night). Some may attribute this to Krueger’s motivation, but I’m not sure I buy that. The systems guys who deconstructed Krueger’s goddawful “smartest guy in the room” “only one in the league” “pre-gapping” system pointed out that the only line that didn’t actually follow the system was … Hall & co. Maybe some of the reason for the malaise this year is that Eakins is not allowing that kind of bullshit to happen, is demanding a 200 ft game even from Hall & Eberle & co., and now it’s a standoff to see who blinks (or rather, who gets fired) first. So far it’s always been the coach taking the fall.

c. Outside of the malaise, RNH, Hall, Yak, and Jultz in particular all simply look slower than they did last year. Motivation could be part of it, but even when they are having a good game and are into it, they look slow, or at least slower than last year. Hall in particular is not intimidating anyone with speed this year the way he consistently did last year, and that has nothing to do with system or coaching.

That’s why I’m postulating perhaps the fitness regime is part of the answer – a fitness regime that emphasizes endurance above all else would produce both slower and weaker players.

45. Alpine says:

I think we’ve all seen enough of Petry on the ice and in the stats to reasonably believe he’s a competent NHL defender and our best one right now. One bad game amongst a bad stretch of the season shouldn’t render him useless when every other D we have are regularly guilty of similar mistakes leading to GA. He deserves blame for his mistakes like anyone else. But this whole anointing of a player’s quality as “bad” after one game or bad stretch just seems backwards to me when there’s enough evidence to the contrary.

46. neojanus says:

The Oilers defence is to blame across the board. If the bounces had gone Winnipeg’s way, this is a 5-2 game with little push back. Petry and Belov bobbled their way around the game from the minute the puck dropped. Petry looks disorganized, Belov looks slow and until the Oilers get some real shut-down D-men that can muscle, we are going to see these games. Some will be 3-2, some will be 5-2. Corsi is only effective as long as you don’t look at how glaring the mistakes are. The Corsi could be 68%, but if a bobbled play costs an overtime goal, it still loses the game.

Here’s the thing: everyone’s right. The Oilers goals against usually come as the result of 1, 2, 3 or 4 mistakes. It goes back to NHL GP and experience on D. They have none. And the D with experience are eroding badly.

48. delooper says:

If the Oilers had 3 more Petrys, the team would be doing a whole lot better. The trouble is Petry is being asked to do too much. He’s got to cover for the mistakes and inexperience of all the forwards and D. He’s not Chris Pronger.

49. Rondo says:

LT,

What would you think of this trade?

Oilers trade their first rd pick to NJ for Adam Larsson.

NJ defense has been good w/o Larsson , NJ does not have a 1st rd pick. NJ needs forwards.

50. book¡je says:

The fitness thing as a problem (too much training) was mentioned by strudwick as a problem under Renney (I think it was Renny – may have been MacT).

Rondo:
    LT,

What would you thinkof this trade?

Oilers trade their first rd pick to NJfor Adam Larsson.

NJ defense has been good w/o Larsson , NJ does not have a 1st rd pick.NJ needs forwards.

I just don’t know if Larsson is any good.

52. Bulging Twine says:

“A voice in my head told me” hahahah
    Probably more accurate than Cox’s farce

53. Numenius says:

G Money: I have a tough time agree with this for a couple of reasons.

First, despite the massively utopian/revisionist idea that Krueger was somehow a magical motivator, the team last year was as gutless, heartless, and soulless most nights as they are this year.I posted so personally a half dozen times, which is why I don’t buy into the Krueger adulation.Just go back and read the game threads, and you will see what I mean.

The difference between this year and last year is that
    a. Dubnyk was as much above average as he was below average this year

b. Hall & Co. were beasts (the only ones night after night).Some may attribute this to Krueger’s motivation, but I’m not sure I buy that.The systems guys who deconstructed Krueger’s goddawful “smartest guy in the room” “only one in the league” “pre-gapping” system pointed out that the only line that didn’t actually follow the system was … Hall & co.Maybe some of the reason for the malaise this year is that Eakins is not allowing that kind of bullshit to happen, is demanding a 200 ft game even from Hall & Eberle & co., and now it’s a standoff to see who blinks (or rather, who gets fired) first. So far it’s always been the coach taking the fall.

c. Outside of the malaise, RNH, Hall, Yak, and Jultz in particular all simply look slower than they did last year.Motivation could be part of it, but even when they are having a good game and are into it, they look slow, or at least slower than last year. Hall in particular is not intimidating anyone with speed this year the way he consistently did last year, and that has nothing to do with system or coaching.

Unlike godot, my point was more of a criticism of Eakins than a yearning for the Krueger days. I agree that with Krueger there were some major problems (e.g. an unrealistic system, lack of a 200 ft. game in the fowards), and Eakins has been much better on many of these things.

Nevertheless, it’s still extremely puzzling how a worse team (last year) finished so much better than a better team this year. You mentioned goaltending and Hall and co. being slower, but to me those very things are the ones especially susceptible to lack of confidence/motivation. Plus, when you see Winnipeg turn around so quickly after a simple coaching change from a demotivator to a motivator, it makes you wonder.

The idea that the fitness regime is slowing them down, at any rate, makes no sense to me. I don’t see how having more endurance makes you slower for short bursts, unless you’re overdoing it. It’s possible there are some injuries playing a part that we don’t know about (and some that we do), though.

54. G Money says:

book¡je:

Huh – was Renney a fitness freak too? I don’t recall anything buzz around that from those days, but then, it has been a few years now.

The other issue to consider would be what type of fitness. My concern here is that if VO2Max is the primary measure that Eakins is using, he’s going to force a type of training that might actually be harmful to hockey. Even in soccer (which is more continuous, has fewer “shifts”, and takes place over 90 minutes, and is therefore a much more V02max sensitive sport than hockey), the understanding of the metabolic demands of the game has shifted over the last few years, and there is far more emphasis on speed and anaerobic recovery than simply endurance. e.g. http://www.soccernation.com/speed-endurance-training-for-player-development-cms-2724

So if Renney was a fitness freak but was was pushing the kind of metabolic training that is all the rage these days (which amps up strength, agility, peak power, and recovery – exactly the factors that make for great hockey player), then that type of fitness would be extremely helpful, at least so long as it wasn’t emphasized to the point of overtraining.

But watching this team, I am beginning to think that their fitness regime is not only far from the solution, it is very much part of the problem.

55. OilClog says:

The whole problem with the team is they know they’re dead in the water. There’s zero reason to get into stats or anything else when looking at this team.

They’ve realized they’re out of the fight so the little bark and bite they had they’ve packed it in. Perron’s agitation, Halls drive, Nuges wizardry.. All packed in. See you sept 2014.

56. G Money says:

Numenius: The idea that the fitness regime is slowing them down, at any rate, makes no sense to me. I don’t see how having more endurance makes you slower for short bursts, unless you’re overdoing it.

As I mentioned, it’s actually a well established aspect of sports science these days.

Endurance training recruits muscle fibres that are Type 1 (fast twitch) and makes them act more like Type 2 fibres. Training for explosiveness can do the opposite, but not to the same extent – in other words, its easier for a sprinter to become a long-distance runner than the other way round.

So yes, significant endurance training, the kind that would trigger a change in VO2max (which is *exceedingly* hard to do) would trigger negative changes in both speed and strength. Even in soccer, which is a more endurance oriented game than hockey, they are starting to realize how important this effect is and moving away from LSD (long slow distance) training and more towards metabolic style training.

The best explanation I’ve come across of what VO2max is, and how difficult it is to change your genetic level of VO2max is Tim Noakes’ “Lore of Running”. I happened up on this massive encylopedic gem back in the 90s when I was both training for a marathon and hitting up into the middle belts in martial arts. I figured (like many would) that the huge endurance benefit of the former would help me in the latter. The book clarified an awful lot of that for me, and my martial arts capabilities improved dramatically once I dropped my cardio work down to more rational levels. Man I was in good shape, though! Ah, youth…

57. Thinker says:

I wanna get this out there; we have to trade perron. Bargain contract, monster year, agitator, good defensively. Sell high, he could bring back a very good dman, especially in a package.

58. jp says:

book¡je:

Wonder how bad this is going to get?The game the other night was terrible.

It SEEMS like this should be rock bottom or close. I fear it isn’t.

Kevin Lowe:

Quickly approaching the 20 year anniversary of the last one. There was a concern, it remains and is growing larger.

59. russ99 says:

The big question to me today is why don’t the Oilers get the sustained offensive pressure that our opponents seem to always get against us?

Seeing elite teams doing it is one thing, but a team that’s conceivably worse than us is another.

So why can’t we do that? Seems all we do with possession is inanely cycle it around the wall until we lose possession and maybe get one shot off.

If I were the coaching staff I’d be drilling making and receiving passes, since we seem especially bad at that this year.

60. sliderule says:

The oilers dressed probably one of their biggest teams today.

Defence averaged almost 196 lbs.Forwards 199 lbs.

We were however dwarfed by Jets .Defence average 220 lbs .Forwards just under 205 lbs

All other things being equal when you are playing well conditioned athletes who have 10 to 15 lbs more muscle you are going to get worn down and lose.

Mact is trying but it is going to be hard to change around what has happened with poor management and even poorer secondary drafting.

61. prairieschooner says:

With the first overall pick we might expect an uptick in the teams performance
    With the first overall pick the following year we might expect another uptick
    With the first overall pick the following year we are pretty sure we should have an uptick
    With the first overall pick this year shouldn’t we be better?
    Honestly?
    How many seasons do we have to suffer through the development process of a rookie coach?
    How many top picks does it take to make a good team?
    I have lowered my expectations from champion to “good team”

62. sliderule says:

For those of you wondering were the forwards were on the OT goal ,I think they were at red line waiting for a breakaway.
    The team is done and performance bonuses kick in at the other end.

sliderule:
    The team is done and performance bonuses kick in at the other end.

Gagner was doing his ‘also in photo’ iirc.

64. TheOtherJohn says:

GMoney

Re: VO2 max, I think you are clutching at straws. Expect we all are.

Dubnyk did not have an otherworldly 12/13.. His SV% was .921. That is slightly better than his career .910 (which itself includes all of the otherworldly bad stats from this year). I.e. His career numbers might have been .912 or .913 prior to this year.

Nor is the Eakins emphasis on endurance going to make strong players weak in 5months. The Oilers do not look like endurance beasts that have sacrificed speed & strength for endurance. How can anyone reach that conclusion? Has a forward played 25 TOI for a month? A D played 35m for 2 weeks?

They look like smaller guys who are having to pay a price to fight through big bodies in the WC. We have repeated comments here and on twitter: so & so just wrestled X to the ground. (X could be anyone in our top 6). We are outraged. That is what Jason Smith did for 10+ years. Puck battles. Smaller man gets check finished on him. That is actually what Robin Regehr did to Hemsky 10 times a year for 5-6-7 years. I hate that guy

If I coached against the Oilers #1 on the game notes would be finish every check on Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak, and Ganer. Why? Because if they are not comfortable we ain’t winning. Believe?? there was a STL v LAK game in last years playoffs with 79 hits in 1 game. With very very big boys hitting very very big boys******* (very few Coke Machines in those games) And refs had whistles in their pockets.

When—- IF we ever make the playoffs we are going to do what? Talk about VO2 max recovery rates or be prepared to play our game: with skill, fighting through checks and applying unrelenting pressure on the other team. Like Chicago. Only as Bruce McCurdy pointed out in COH we are way smaller than Chicago.

As to Krueger: his team had a much much better record against the tough conference exclusively whereas Eakins has a worse record against both conferences. And one had a PP and, seriously, the other should genuinely consider declining PP’s

65. G Money says:

TheOtherJohn,

Yes, I’m floating it as a theory.

However, as far as what you’re pointing out about this years performance, none of it invalidates the theory as far as I can tell. You point out that we struggle against big teams, the question I’m asking is has the fitness regimen actually exacerbated that by making the Oilers a smaller weaker team?

Increasing VO2 by 5% and giving up three lbs in muscle as an offset may actually cause a situation where in order to battle even up with folks now an additional three pounds bigger and stronger than you, perhaps you need an extra 10% of VO2 to make up for the muscle loss. And that’s not accounting for the loss of speed that generally also accompanies a high VO2. It is not a coincidence that long distance runners look like sticks with limbs while sprinters share structure with the average CFL linebacker.

And yes, five months is *more* than enough time to effect a noticeable change in VO2, muscle mass, and muscle fibre typing. I could do it (or rather I have done it when I was young) as a casual athlete. These guys are pro athletes.

As to Dubnyk, for goalies that started at least half their team’s games, he was 3rd in the league in PK SV% last year. Think about that in comparison to his performance this year – absolutely dead fucking last!

This unsustainably high sv% along with an unsustainably high SH% on the PP is what made last years team look a whole lot better than it was. In fact, this years putrid PK and PP are generating more shots (PP) and giving up fewer shots (PK) than last years was. Which is not to defend this years horrid showing, just to point out that anyone suggesting last years team was better is pointing to a mirage.

66. sliderule says:

You know LT I looked at the replay and you are right Gagner actually had a chance to cover Trouba after he bowled Belov over.

Instead he did a fly by and wheeled up the ice like he was looking for a breakout.Hall also arrived late but he wouldn’t have got their in time.

You have to give Gagner credit for trying but goodness he has to start showing some hockey IQ

67. TheOtherJohn says:

Beauty of your theory is LT works with one of Canada’s best world class athletic trainers. If Jeff Kruschel buys in to your Eakins VO2 max theory being the problem I will revisit my opposition to your idea.

Course if you are right, Eakins MUST be fired.

Don’t tell Caremel Obvious

68. G Money says:

TheOtherJohn,

I thought Simon Bennett was the Oilers trainer? Krushell is the Flames trainer, is he not? I met him (Krushell) once, he’s a mound of muscle but he was also an astonishingly arrogant prick.

In either case, if my theory has any measure of truth to it, we should ask Krushell to break the news to Caramel, I have suspicion that Mr. Obvious will be a whole lot more polite than usual! :-)

69. TheOtherJohn says:

Reread my comment. LT works with Jeff Kruschell at TSN 1260. He is a professional colleague. I have met Jeff who is a great guy and, more importantly, he is very accomplished and thoroughly accomplished trainer. He worked as the trainer for Toronto Blue Jays. Jeff is NOT an arrogant prick as you suggest, or at all. He is a pro’s pro.

He can run your Oilers are bad VO2 max recovery theory. Suspect he’ll tell you that you are mistaken the Oilers are not bad because they are overtrained. They are bad because they are bad

70. denny33 says:

Wolfie,

Except that it was Mark Scheiifle who JETS FANS – call Bambi. Just 20, Marks falls to his knees if there is a strong breeze in the building.

Jeff goes into the corner with Bambi, and gets owned, Bambi goes to the net untouched and has time for a wave to the crowd shoot and then score on the rebound.

Walked by defenceman this year even….

No doubt the numbers like Jeff.

Have no idea why but, Jeff is walking a fine line this year. Can look okay for big chunks of a game, but has 2-3 plays per game that are 5 alarm chances.

« Older Comments