OILERS AT SHARKS, G43 13-14

Adhere to the plan. Four simple words, and it’s taking me a lifetime to learn them. Perhaps that’s why I’m pleasedthe Oilers are taking a patient course with young Russian Nail Yakupov.

• Dallas Eakins on Nail Yakupov: “Just adhering to the plan. Not trying to do things by himself, not trying to adlib, not trying to play like he did last year. We want him to play the system and the way we’re trying to get our whole group to play. And that’s his challenge. He fully understands it. And he fully understands that there’s a little bit of heat on him to play and play well. He’s with two good players, two experienced players, he’s going to get some looks on one of our power plays where we’ve put him right back to where he’s been before.”

last 10 games

The Hall line have scored 12 goals in the last 10 games, the Eberle line 4. Smyth has 2, the defense chimes in with 2 more and that’s 20 goals in 10 games. Lordy. Sam Gagner has had a miserable 10 games by the boxcars, I don’t believe the Oilers will stick with him much longer. If he struggles tonight, and Arcobello is indeed ready, I suspect we’ll see the Yalie playing the middle on the 2line.

hall olympicsAmen. I still think there’s a small chance, but every indication we’re getting from the plugged in media is that he’s at the outer marker and really not a serious candidate. After what we discovered about the American decision-making process yesterday, I won’t be as disappointed if Hall doesn’t make it. Despite the importance of the decision, it appears the Amercians use a magic 8-ball (Brian Burke) and left off two impact players (Buff, Ryan) because bias.

TWO RUSSIAN BEARS

slepyshevAnton Slepyshev had a big game (3 assists, effective play) for the Russians this morning in their quarterfinal game against the Americans. He now sits at 5, 2-5-7 +7 for the tournament and has 13 shots. He is tied for 6th in tournament scoring and was very impressive in today’s game. Slepyshev made a strong defensive play late in the game, marking his man from the neutral zone and tying him up as a terrific pass to the slot arrived—it was a key play because at that point it was a one goal game and the chance would have been point blank if not for the Russian captain.

Bogdan Yakimov (5, 1-1-2 +2) is the shutdown center for Russia and played heavy minutes late, including ownzone faceoffs and penalty-killing. He’s a big center (!!!!) and has been very good in the tournament, and his resume is a perfect match for the Oilers needs across the pro rosters.

JUNIOR BOXCARS

nurse1

1. Greg Chase 36, 21-21-42 +20
  2. Darnell Nurse 37, 9-26-35 +3
  3. Mitch Moroz 37, 21-14-35 +14
  4. Jackson Houck 37, 19-13-32 -1
  5. Jujhar Khaira 29, 9-10-19 +2
  6. Aidan Muir 25, 8-11-19 +12 (*USHL*)
  7. Kyle Platzer 38, 9-8-17 -3
  8. Marco Roy 13, 3-12-15 +3
  9. Ben Betker 40, 4-7-11 -4

I had Nurse #9 in the draft and he’s covered the bet so far despite the WJ disappointment. Nichushkin certainly looks like the better player now, but we know players develop at different rates and it’s a marathon not a sprint. At the other end of the spectrum, I had Greg Chase #51 in the draft and some scout is going to be dining out on that pick for a long, long time based on early returns. Roy looks good, but has to stay healthy.

The 2013 entry draft has nice arrows so far, what with the Russians at the WJ and Nurse, Chase and Roy at home. If Houck or Muir can step up their play we might be talking about a very good crop of pro players, maybe even a couple NHLers in there.

292 Responses to "OILERS AT SHARKS, G43 13-14"

Newer Comments »

He’s with two good players,

Hahahahahaha!!!

Sam’s 0-2-2 -10 in the last 10 games precludes him from being lumped in with “good players”

Poor Yak.

Hope he does what is asked of him to take the heat off.

The best thing to happen to Yak would be to be playing the system and find that the puck is finding him more giving him confidence to play it.

He’s always been “The Man” and just went and got the puck in junior.

NHL is a different world.

Also,

This game shouldn’t be close

SJS HomeFen is 55% (4th in the NHL)
    EDM AwayFen is 42.6% (29th in the NHL)

The line was something like -260 SJS. I hit SJS -.5 (to win in regulation) at -160

A little juicy but the Oilers just have no hope in this game.

2. SK Oiler Fan says:

That article on the US Olympic team selection process was truley mindblowing. Were they serious about their dreams of what would happen if this or that player were picked?

Lombardi presents a detailed report which I have to assume included supporting statistics to include Yandle and Burke and company mock it at least 5 times (calls it the New Testament due to its length).

The reality is it’s going to take a while to flush out the old traditional boys. The gut feeling GMs. I relaize these guys have seen alot of hockey and should know a good player when they see one, but good god, Lavioloette was the only one to bring up a single stat to support a decision (Ryan had a low percentage of his points on the PP).

Not once did they look at their potential competition and how this or that player plays against them.

There was no structure or process to their meetings. Just get together, discuss in circles, and the last guy to express their gut feeling wins the day.

I’m going to call these guys Hockey Jedi. They can see the future and go only by their feelings. Wow.

I was not convinced that Acro was a suitable 2C replacement for Gagner for much of the season.

Many players have come in hot and then cooled off, and Gagner had a history of being a reasonable, if not good defensively, NHL player.

My opinion is starting to change.

Gagner just seems to not be able to get on track at all.

Consider the HomeCorsi and RoadCorsi between the two: (min 100 min in situation this year)

Gagner
    HomeCorsi 50.4% (7/11 among forwards)
    RoadCorsi 39.5% (12/12 among forwards)
    Difference -10.9

Arcobello
    HomeCorsi 57.1% (1/11 among forwards)
    RoadCorsi 45.5% (2/11 among forwards)
    Difference -11.6

While Arco sees a larger drop off than Gagner, he’s starting so far ahead that its really not close.

This is a very small sample but Gagner doesn’t seem to be turning it around.

Given the offensive ability of Oiler forwards I think its uber-important to have a reasonably good defensively reliable C on the 2nd line.

I’d much rather have a Couturier at 2C than Arco long term, but today I’d much rather have Arco than Gagner.

LT said:

I don’t believe the Oilers will stick with him much longer.

I think you underestimate how married the GM is to this player.

Gagner has been awful all year and his one “punishment” was 1 game on the 4th line.

Last game he leaves the slot to pick up his stick and Yandle has a 5 bell chance alone in the slot.

Freaking Eberle had to go talk to him after that.

Eberle!

When Eberle is giving you tips on defensive zone coverage, you’ve entered the Twilight Zone.

SK Oiler Fan,

Awesome.

Pretty clear why Lombardi was the only one of the group to actually build a perennial contender as well.

Many, many mangers and coaches in all sports seem to manage “not to lose too badly”, rather than “manage to win”

They are more concerned about not looking dumb to their peers and the press than making marginal improvements that add up.

Not all are like this.

The ones that aren’t are called “Mavericks” and when what they do is proven correct the rest start to play catch up.

Happens over and over again.

5. rich says:

Burke and Poile have watched “Miracle” a time too many. It’s not the best athletes, it’s the best team. We’ll see how that works out. The 2 players I really can’t understand being left off are Ryan and Bishop, but that’s just me.

The past few years, DD has actually played quite well against SJS on the road and they have stolen a few games against them even when being badly outshot. Not saying the Oilers will continue to catch lightning in a bottle here, but it’s not inconceivable.

Certainly makes the coaches goalie rotation seem more rational (play Bryz against his former teams and DD against a team he’s had a modicum of success).

Hoping Arcobello is ready to go before the end of the trip. Would not mind seeing Gagner given the “Yak treatment” and spending some time on the 4th line or in PB for a few games.

6. russ99 says:

LOL. Reminds me of Kevin Bacon in Animal House

Adhering to the plan assumes there is one, and it’s sound.

7. slopitch says:

I just read that entire ESPN piece by Burnside. Fascinating read. I hope Canada does a similar piece. I was stunned to hear all the talk about Jones making the team. Is the #2 dman Nurse who didnt make it for WJC really that far behind Jones who almost made team USA?

Side note. The TBL are 25/1 to win the cup and 10/1 to win the east and are in 3rd without Stamkos. That is good value no? I also got quite good odds on SJ to win by 2 tonight. SJ is a different class right now but since I bet the Oilers probably come out and win in a landslide lol.

Good to hear about Yakimov. Although as I often hear, in junior you better score or your upside isn’t that high.

8. Survioil says:

Woodguy:
    SK Oiler Fan,

Very interesting read. Personality overpowering logic , which having been both in the corporate world and recently on contract with government is really the underlying “Corsi” maybe call it the “Polly” factor.

My “Polly” equation output tells me Lezar in Edmonton by fall 2014.

Woodguy:

LT said:

I don’t believe the Oilers will stick with him much longer.

I think you underestimate how married the GM is to this player.

After that? Survival. Of the team, coach, organization. MacT doesn’t have an option available to replace Belov (really) but there is one who can replace Gagner.

If he has another bad night tonight, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him healthy scratched.

Also, I mentioned this in the previous thread, but the impact of that injury could be massive if this continues. I doubt the Oilers go into another season with 89 playing at this level. If they can’t trade him, then buyout is an option.

10. sliderule says:

so he has room to fill out.
    Safe prediction for tonite Yakupov goes minus three and back to press box.

11. flyfish1168 says:

sliderule: Sleepyshev looked real good both offensive and defensive.He is now listed at 6-3 and187so he has room to fill out.Yakimov won a lot of face offs but not much else.Skating needs a lot of work and he looked totally gassed at end of some shifts.I thought big number 8 played a good game and at 6-7 and 229 it’s hard to believe he is undrafted.Safe prediction for tonite Yakupov goes minus three and back to press box.

12. jp says:

flyfish1168: I do have some concern about Yak tonight. I’m wondering how much help Eberle will give Yak, let alone yak did not look comfortable being on the left side last time. This line may not last long if the score gets out of hand

He’ll be fine if he plays like he did with Gazdic. You’re right though that this could go sideways (again) in a hurry.

I think Yakupov can get out of the doghouse pretty easily. If we see him trying to stickhandle through 16 guys, then he’s going to get a HS again. He just is. This is no longer an issue of learning, Yakupov is no dummy, this is a staring contest the coach has to win. It’s the hill he has to die on, and Yakupov’s only job is to stop trying to do it alone.

Hell, Yakupov is so good that he could spend the night trying to find a seam for the other two and hammer if when the puck arrives. Seriously. Less can be more. One of his great gifts (shot) is badly needed, all he has to do is do what is asked when he has the puck.

The crazy thing: Yakupov is an outstanding passer. He can keep up with Gagner and Eberle, no problem. That line SHOULD be a soft parade killer.

14. flyfish1168 says:

I’m cheering for this line. But I wonder what this line maybe like with Acro instead of Sammy

15. art vandelay says:

I see no evidence of a plan.

16. justDOit says:

I’m not sure how good Buff would look on the big ice against the elite players of the world, and who knows – maybe there’s background rumblings of possibly not passing the blood tests?

Another good showing for Sleepchef and Big Yak (who doesn’t look like he’s lumbering out there at all). How about 50 cases of Tamiflu, two containers of toilet paper, and $100k each to buy them out from their KHL teams now? C’mon Katz!

17. Bar_Qu says:

Konopka? Or is that a bad idea?

I know some stumped for him here before.

18. OilClog says:

Ebs would have to first acknowledge Yak is on the ice, and Gags just doesn’t create any space that is needed for those two wingers.. It’s a ugly fit.

Move Perron with them and allow Hall to bring Yak with him.. Hall has the best chemistry with yak. It’s not even close.

19. flyfish1168 says:

OilClog,

I agree Hall seems to be able to find and skate with Yak. Would seem to be a better fit from previous experience

OilClog: Ebs would have to first acknowledge Yak is on the ice

I still have no idea what people are seeing. Yakupov is not a structured player, can we agree? It’s tough to find him, and he’s not ever slowing down and looking to find a seam. That plays to his strength, but he’s so busy trying to do it all.

Curtis Lazar is awesome!

22. WeirsBeard says:

I’m not sure how much I buy the Gagner injury as excuse this year. I don’t see him afraid of battles, or losing them due to lack of strength as big problems. It seems he just wanders aimlessly. Isn’t it six year old stuff to cover the slot as the C, or at least play man to man with the other team’s C? This stuff should be automatic.

What are they showing him in the film room?

23. G Money says:

WeirsBeard,

The one reason why the Gagner injury makes sense as an explanation rather than an excuse is that Gagner is well off his traditional pace both offensively and defensively. In other words, everything is in the tank, not just his defensive coverage (contrary to the common narrative that Gagner is simply terrible in that regard, in fact his defensive coverage while never particularly good, this season is worse than it’s ever been his entire career).

Unless we believe that Gagner peaked at 22 and is already on his career downturn, it’s logical to think that the injury has had a more insidious and damaging effect than expected. Logically, you would expect Gagner’s offensive prowess (something with which Gagner is naturally gifted) to return first, and until that happens, I doubt we’ll see much sunshine defensively.

24. Jordan says:

Samwise has many attributes that you look for in a successful hockey player, so I have no doubt that if the team wanted to move him, they could. He has heart, his has vision and scoring acumen. I don’t know what his value is, but I do beleive the young player has value in the NHL. Probably to a bigger team looking for more skill. But that hasn’t happened, and I beleive that rests solely on the GM and his agreement not to move him. It’s the wrong move for the team, but the ethical move by the man. I hate it.

Gagner remains a terrible fit for this team, because of how weak the team is at centre, how few 2-way players they have, and how small they are. There is almost nowhere to hide him. He’s an offensive specialist. He doesn’t show the accumen to play a 2-way game. It’s just not there. So, do you keep trying to teach him coverage after 6 years of him not getting it? Or do you recognize he needs to be sheltered to have any value?

The best place for him right now is on the 4th line with Smyth and Joensuu to retrieve pucks for him, and as a pp specialist. Keep him away from good competition.

He’s here for the next 3 years – better figure out how to use him, because otherwise other teams will keep using him against the Oilers.

25. Henry says:

I agree, they should be killers of the soft particularly if Eberle and Yak are each on their off wing going into the offensive zone.

Trouble with tonight is that their soft parade will be either one of Thornton, Burns, and some dude, or Couture, Marleau and some other dude. Let’s see how they handle this.

I’m actually looking forward to how the Nuge handles the assignments he gets tonight and tomorrow. He’s been playing very well lately. He does seem to slow down on the rear end of the back to back games.

26. justDOit says:

Can we trade Bucky and the John Wayne look-alike for Brent Sutter?

flyfish1168:

EBERLE, JORDAN 43.1
    SMYTH, RYAN 42.9
    HALL, TAYLOR 40.4
    NUGENT-HOPKINS, RYAN 39.4

28. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

G Money,

I personally think the implementation of a systems approach with rigor is exposing players. Gagner falls into this bucket and the fact he has been freelancing for so long is making it harder for him to adjust and adapt. This is true of Yak as well, but he is less set in his NHL ways so some daylight. Eberle is slowly adapting but he is notably struggling. Hall is there, Hemsky is there, Perron is there (he’s seen lots of this under Hitch). Gordon and Arco are prototypical for this style of team play. I will even say J Schultz is working hard to adjust and it has impacted his offensive stats (I compliment him on trying hard to be a better defenseman within a system but it has certainly dulled what he brought as his biggest attribute – jumping into the forward play).

Gagner isn’t a bad hockey player, but he needs to be a more marginal piece in a more established team. The injury has nothing to do with his decision making. That reasoning has long evaporated. He is what he is and its pretty much what I have watched for many years now.

29. delooper says:

Woodguy,

But that might be more due to the quality of competition than the quality of the linemates.

30. Logan91 says:

Draisaitl with 27 penalty minutes in their shut out loss to Norway.

2 assists and led the tourney with 52 penalty mins.

31. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy: Here’s Yak’s CF% with all the forwards he’s played with this year (warning, some of the TOI together is pretty small so anything coulld have happened)

Yak is 45.8%CF 5v5 overall in 452min

Sorted by highest to lowest:

JOENSUU, JESSE58.9
    ARCOBELLO, MARK57.1
    HEMSKY, ALES52.9
    GAGNER, SAM46.9
    GORDON, BOYD46.4
    PERRON, DAVID44
    EBERLE, JORDAN43.1
    SMYTH, RYAN42.9
    HALL, TAYLOR40.4
    NUGENT-HOPKINS, RYAN39.4

delooper:
    Woodguy,

The difference in QC that a Gagner line sees vs a RNH line is marginal at best when you look at it overall.

On the road often Gagner sees tougher comp as opposing coaches love to send out their top lines against him.

33. David S says:

Lowetide: I think the coach gave a lot of leeway to 89 because he came back early, and I think now they’re probably pretty damn worried about the player and what the injury did to him.

What’ll really suck is if he’s eventually traded and a savvy GM knows what the deal is. He’ll pick Sam up on the cheap and end up with a pretty good player just heading into the prime years of his career. The Oilers will lose this one badly if that happens.

flyfish1168: Interesting. By eye it didn’t seem like that. I’ll have to wear my 2x strength ones

I thought the same, the numbers surprised me.

Dallas Eakins doesn’t want Yakupov to play like the leading goal scorer on the Oilers, which is how he played last year. What a plan! And Eakins’ plan for Yakupov not playing like he played last year is really working! -).

To quote, The Hunt for Red October….”Way to go, Dallas!” -).

P.S. Taylor Hall was a better defensive player last year than this year, because the puck was in the Oilers end less when Taylor Hall was on the ice. Hall has just finally figured out how to compensate for your crappy systems, Dallas, which was sabatoging his effectiveness for the first 3rd of the season.

David S: His shot , timing and confidence is way off. Stuff we’d see him execute in his sleep is sliding off the end of his stick. The focus has always been on Gagner’s jaw, but I’d bet a big stack he’s dealing with post concussion syndrome. If that’s the case we may see the whole season lost for Sam. I suspect Eakins is trying to let him play himself out of it, but it’s becoming a huge liability in doing so. I’m fairly sure the team knows exactly what the problem is, which is what we’re seeing as “favoritism/lack of accountability”. It may very well be Gagner is the guttiest player on this gutless team.

I don’t disagree with a word of what you’ve written here. I wish I could find that Bill James article from his abstracts years, I’d write the whole damn thing out. Gagner’s not doing a lot of things we’d expect him to do, and I kept waiting for the shield to be removed, and he did have a blip for that one game (Winnipeg?) but he doesn’t have the touch we’ve seen in the past.

Along with all the other crap luck this team has endured, your point about a lost season for 89 rings true. We’re halfway home and it looks dire from here.

37. WeirsBeard says:

Do other teams see what we see with Gagner?

I guess what I’m saying is, can you trade him for a boxcarless centre that would be a net positive?

38. justDOit says:

WeirsBeard,

Depends on how much GHB you can get into the other GM’s drink, and timing the signature on the deal just right.

39. knighttown says:

Sorry to head off in a different direction here but what are everyone’s thoughts on the draft eligibles this year at the WJHC?

The Oilers are almost assuredly going to draft in the Top 3. They may be better than the Islanders and some of those ECHC teams but those teams all get to play each other and the Oilers have a whole lot of guaranteed loss nights coming up this winter battling the beasts of the west. I have them catching Calgary and obviously staying well up on Buffalo.

1. Aaron Ekblad- whether you have him ranked at #1 or not, he’s undoubtedly #1 on the Oilers list. He’s playing #2 minutes on Team Canada as a 17 year old which is rarefied air. I can remember only Seth Jones (US obv) and Doughty in recent years doing this and playing such a huge role. On the other hand, he seems to bring very little offensively…like rarely goes past centre ice. I’ve got to think that (like many big guys) he’s begin to explore his offensive game as he gets older. Miles behind Jones in the O-zone at this point tho…this must be acknowledged.

2. No one. There’s no way the Oilers should pick in the Top 10 of this draft. If their pick falls between 3-10 or if Buffalo picks Ekblad at number 1 (which they may not with Myers, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Pysyk) they must move the pick for help now.

I really don’t get Sam Reinhart. He screams complimentary player to me. I get that’s he’s smart and his hockey sense is “off the charts” but his speed are shot seem average at best and his edge work isn’t nearly as good as the sublime RNH, which is where the Datsyuk comparisons come from. I hate to say it but I see Sam Gagner when I watch Sam Reinhart. Gifted, but he’ll likely need to pay with a river pusher to score anywhere near enough to justify at #1 overall selection.

There are some nice potential power forwards and a few “200 foot” centres, so sure, one will turn into Benn and another into Couture but I don’t trust the Oilers to choose the right one.

40. Space Dad says:

godot10,

godot10:
    Dallas Eakins doesn’t want Yakupov to play like the leading goal scorer on the Oilers, which is how he played last year.What a plan!And Eakins’ plan for Yakupov not playing like he played last year is really working! -).

To quote, The Hunt for Red October….”Way to go, Dallas!”-).

P.S.Taylor Hall was a better defensive player last year than this year, because the puck was in the Oilers end less when Taylor Hall was on the ice. Hall has just finally figured out how to compensate for your crappy systems, Dallas, which was sabatoging his effectiveness for the first 3rd of the season.

The whole “the best defense is a good offense” works more in theory than practice.

If you have the puck in the offensive zone your whole shift, good for you – you’ve increased your chances to score and nullified your opponents’. But what happens when that one shift rolls along and you get pinned in your defensive zone? What happens when your defensemen struggle to transition the puck out? You need to have defensive skills and the right defensive mindset in order to retrieve the puck and successfully turn away your opponent’s attack.

I know I’m not really breaking any new ground here but your comments are ridiculous, about both Yakupov and Hall.

Yakupov rode a high shooting percentage (21%!!!) and all-round good puck luck last year, effects compounded by the shortened season. He tried to play the same way this year, but was (predictably) unable to sustain his percentages. Hockey is more than passion; you have to think and you have to be able to function defensively. Yak was able to get by without doing much of either for 48 games last season. In order for him to play a key role on a winning team that needs to change. Do you think any one of Tortorella, Sutter, Hitchcock would be treating him any differently?

As far as Hall goes, he’s had to learn a couple of the lessons Yak still needs to. As a result, he has become a far more complete player under Eakins than he was with either Krueger or Renney. He is now a player who can lead a team to consistent wins. The first third of the season was spent with him at center, which was a position the team was forced into by the injury to Nuge. Besides which, it was an experiment that many hockey minds across the league were curious about. I’d guess MacT and Lowe were also interested in seeing whether he and Nuge could be a long-term 1-2 punch up the middle. Hardly an example of Eakins’ “crappy systems.”

Good coaches are willing to do hard things. They have a vision that they work towards, for both the individual players and the team. Dallas Eakins is a good coach.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Curtis Lazar is awesome!

Him and Mantha, both good players, are worlds apart. One seems to think D first and the other O first. interesting to watch.

With Lazar, I wonder by how far his upside clears mr. Lander’s at a comparable age?

————

Logan91:
    Draisaitl with 27 penalty minutes in their shut out loss to Norway.

2 assists and led the tourney with 52 penalty mins.

If ever a stat sheet read “frustration” that’s it. I wouldn’t be surprised if his draft ranking slipped a bit based on this WJC. Scouts and NHL managers have a tendency to over-value these kinds of tournaments.

42. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Frustrated indeed, he played like a little pissed off teenager and didn’t look that great at all.

I doubt he’ll slip though, he’ll go back to the WHL with a vengeance and put up crazy numbers. He’ll feel like he has something to prove after a poor outing at the WJC.

43. justDOit says:

Panthers battling a 76% attendance rate, tarp off upper deck sections for some games to make the crowds look better. They need a new star center, with credentials like:

Buck Houle Award (Toronto Marlboros team award; outstanding on ice performance) – 2004

World Junior Gold Medal – 2007

World Championships Silver Medal – 2008

Super Series MVP – 2007

NHL YoungStars Game appearance – 2008

NHL Rookie of the Month – February 2008

Edmonton Oilers Rookie of the Year – 2008 (shared with Andrew Cogliano and Tom Gilbert)

Edmonton Oilers Most Points in a Single Game – 8 (shared with Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey)

Edmonton Oilers Most Points in a Single Period – 5 (shared with Jari Kurri)

Edmonton Oilers Most Consecutive Points – 11

Winner of the 2012 Spengler Cup with Team Canada

44. russ99 says:

Space Dad:
    godot10,

No, you rely on the quality personnel you have that plays defense and goaltender, and whichever forward(s) are playing back.

And you know what, I’m sure we see that multiple times from the Sharks tonight, who have a good defensive corps and good defensive players that allow them to take risks on offense from time to time.

This is the issue here – everyone pulling back and playing defense (ineffectively, mind you) that the Oilers are having drilled into their heads or having good players to rely on to cover those times when we’re caught too far up.

Eakins system only allows for one of those situations.

I really wonder if we’d have a better or worse total team GAA this season with the roster additions and Krueger running things. BTW: Winning at Corsi only really matters if you score on those shots…

45. gvblackhawk says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Indeed, this WJC is the first I’ve had a chance to really watch him. The scoring is dessert as far as I’m concerned. Watching him mark men in the neutral and defensive zones and check them with vigor is the sell here.

————

I agree that the sample is small and his performance should be taken with a grain of salt. But……

That being said, his defensive coverage was suspect at times — especially against the top teams. And his hands were not fantastic. I saw several passes that seemed to bounce off his stick.

This guy, Romulus’ Apotheosis, had him hyped up and I felt a bit let down :)

46. rich says:

justDOit,

The Panthers need to:

A) Move to a market that cares about hockey

Have met the president of the team (Yormark) and he is one of the biggest jerks I’ve ever met in my professional life. People that want to do work with him deserve each other.

Come to think of it…send KLowe and Gagner down there and we can let those 2 great sportsmen (Vish and Yorkmark) deal with each other from a hockey ops/business ops perspective. Might be just the right kind of entertainment for all the south Florida hockey fans.

47. gvblackhawk says:

There is a very low correlation between the type of injury Gagner sustained and a brain injury (concussion). The mandible absorbs most of the energy and results in a fracture. This appears gruesome, but is much preferable to an energy transfer to the brainstem or skull.

Psychologically, I’m sure he was impacted significantly.

48. justDOit says:

rich,

Interesting. So both teams are fine examples of assholishness flowing downhill and poisoning the lake.

Edit: So package whatever is needed with Gagner to get Barkov out of there. That’s a start.

49. DeadmanWaking says:

David S:

Good points. Insightful. All this could well be true.

But then–sigh–why did you feel you needed to add the coda about being walked at the swap meet? The image of Craig “Pollyanna” MacTavish losing his lunch money to Shyster “Big Dick” McDuck just makes me groan, and not in a good way (nor to the catchy tune of “because Oilers”).

There are two kinds of markets for pawning an unwanted asset. One is where it’s the buyer vs the seller. Then it matters if the buyer knows the seller can’t take “no” for an outcome. The other is where it’s one buyer vs another buyer (or more). Then it’s a question of who wants it the most. Usually that question is decided somewhere around the fair market price, regardless of the seller’s bargaining weakness.

The NHL–having 30 teams when last I looked–is generally a market of the second type. There are cases where a player simply doesn’t fit the build for the majority of teams, and the market can potentially narrow to where there’s only a single viable fit and then the seller had better keep his lunch money close to his vest. But this is not how it usually pans out.

A nasty situation that develops around the trade deadline is where the active players fall by the wayside as deals are consummated. For the last sad sack left on the dance floor, the available dance partner might be predatory. Hence it pays not to dally.

Neither of these fit MacT’s known M.O. Fresh in the GM chair he called all the other GM’s early and often, until they were saying “What, you again?” And when the market for Hemmer was too dry for his liking, he put his hands in his pockets and made an embarrassing and public about-face. When the dust settled, he had less face but he still had all his lunch money.

There’s this very powerful word they teach in MBA school: “No!” Can be followed by the colour commentary of your choice. MacT might be well shy of Einstein, but I’m quite certain he’s mastered this basic syllable.

If Katz in the near future threatens to fire him for not getting it done, my guess is MacT would respond with three other choice two-letter words: “So be it.” Trying to squirm your way out of the guillotine by saying “yes” to a deal when you don’t really believe in the value is a mug’s game, normally the precinct of the insecure and/or inexperienced. The Silver Fox has known far greater sorrow than a fat severance cheque. Grim, grimmer, grimmest. He’s seen it all.

Another scenario is that the other 29 GMs are a bunch of risk-averse lily livers who wouldn’t dare to risk their reputation capital in any trade unless they think they’ve got their trade partner totally bent over a barrel. I think we find this story inherently credible because it resembles the high-school dating scene where a girl’s virtue is priced by scurrilous rumours in the boy’s locker room bearing no connection to her conduct whatsoever (unless inversely, if she foolishly jilts a sore loser).

Whenever we see idiots with power, there’s almost a fetish compulsion to view the world through this formative filter. Plus or minus a Rob Ford or a Eliot Spitzer, it just isn’t true most of the time. Very few men who rise to six-figure payroll deductions lose their lunch money with one leg stuck in their trousers of bargaining weakness. These guys do have to deal with public perceptions, so if Gagner turns into a cootie grenade, he’ll be hard to move at fair value, even if fair value is depressingly small.

In the case where all thirty fan-bases have labeled a player a soft douchebag quitter, the selling GM’s desperation level barely even registers in the narrative of the sad coin received.

Another situation is the bad marriage, where a good player is playing under a black cloud and will never live up to his potential until shipped off to a fresh start in a new home. It’s hard to get much in return for these players, because it’s hardly certain the player will suddenly become happy and productive in new digs. It often happens, and it often doesn’t. Many of these players do suddenly shine in their new environment. But this doesn’t mean the selling GM made the wrong call or received a bad price, no matter how the fans might choose to frame it. It’s just reality that some marriages can’t be fixed, especially if the in-house mediation dialled up to eleven.

I think the last element of this walked at the swap meet fixation is that after seven long years, more than a few distraught fans wish our problem could be boiled down to a crystalline Mike Milbury moment.

1. Procure paper bag
    2. Stuff all suck into paper bag
    3. Toss paper bag out of nearest window
    4. Profit!

Far harder to concede that we now have a competent GM, yet the suck marches on. If our Gagners are wilting on the vine, the suck is here to stay for a while yet. This is a serious setback. Because Oilers? Nobody knows. It seems we’re now reduced to the sustaining narratives of prisoners serving hard time.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gvblackhawk: I agree that the sample is small and his performance should be taken with a grain of salt.But……

That being said, his defensive coverage was suspect at times — especially against the top teams.And his hands were not fantastic.I saw several passes that seemed to bounce off his stick.

This guy, Romulus’ Apotheosis, had him hyped up and I felt a bit let down

From what I saw, I agree completely about his ability to make/take a pass. He was fighting the puck a lot as they say.

I disagree about d-zoverage though. I saw him get burned a couple of times… but he was always in the right position, never blew the d-zone early, played under the puck as they say and was constantly shoulder checking his opponents in his own end… that is from a very limited viewing mind you.

Disappointing performance no doubt. It’s a crappy situation for him: the world watching as he’s touted so highly, but at the end of the day he’s still just a 17 year old playing on an all-world bad team against mostly 19 year olds playing on much, much better teams.

Logan91:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I could be wrong about slippage… and the back half of the season will obviously have a lot to say, but tournaments like this lead to strong impressions among the hockey types prone to use the word “clutch” liberally.

51. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

DeadmanWaking,

I agree on MacT. He will do what he believes is best regardless of the battering headwinds and pelting rain and the KLowe Kraken. He has been through a bucket load personally and professionally. More than most. I don’t think his teeth chatter and his o-ring tightens at the prospect of making a wrong move on trading hockey players. But, he expects fair and true value on the other side. Its timing, nothing more.

52. misfit says:

Gagner seems to be in a similar situation as Stoll just before he was traded. Struggling to regain past form after a pretty significant injury, and becoming a favorite whipping boy of the fans. While neither were excellent ES players during their Edmonton days, Stoll’s struggles were at in large part due to playing a thankless role as the team’s go-to defensive forward.

I don’t know why Lombardi decided to move on Visnovsky at the time. He had just signed him to a long term extension, and the Kings defense wasn’t exactly stalwart at the time. They just acquired the highly touted Jack Johnson the year before along with taking Drew Doughty weeks earlier at the draft (but who would’ve known he would perform as well as he did as a rookie that same season), but they still had more questions than answers on the back end.

So maybe we should actually be looking identifying our Lubo to get our own Greene/Stoll (or just Greene if Gagner is our Stoll, though he’s looking more like our O’Sullivan).

53. commonfan14 says:

Lowetide: Yakupov is no dummy, this is a staring contest the coach has to win.

Hopefully Yak tells the “Hey Hon, don’t forget the coffee!” joke soon so we can move on to the sobbing.

justDOit,

FLA’s center depth is:

Barkov – 6’3″ 210 with soft, soft hands and decent wheels. Just turned 18 in September (!) Will be one of the best in the NHL imo when he hits 22 or so.

Bjudstad – 6’6 215 – Having a decent rookie year (only 11 NHL games played before this year) with 15pts in 35 games. Scored well at University of Minnesota. Should be reasonable 2C

They’re really young at C and need a few years and some good vets to help them along.

I know you were probably tongue in cheek, but DeeEssEff doesn’t post much and someone needed to wave the FLA flag.

If FLA can ever find decent goaltending they’ll make the playoffs in the East.

They are 14th overall in Fenclose.

They are 14th in HomeFen 51.9

They are 12th in RoadFen 49.9

The problem is goaltending.

They are still 28th via 5v5 SV%.

Now that Markstom is benched (.874) and Thomas is playing most of the games (.912) or Clemmenson (.894) its been a little better.

They’ve been a profitable bet recently. Often a dog to teams they should out corsi.

Bloody goalies eh?

Same problem the Oilers had, but due a lot to FLA’s superior D, their possession game is much better.

55. commonfan14 says:

misfit: We could sure use a 2008 Lubomir Visnovsky to insert into the top of the defensive depth chart. So who are the current day equivalents of Greene and Lubo?

Yandle seems like a possible Lubo, but we don’t really have a Greene. It should’ve been Peckham… so that sucks.

56. nez29 says:

Konopka–seems like a good idea. Can facepunch and play a reasonable 4th line centre. Good on draws, too. Shouldn’t Gagner have to sit once in awhile, too? Post-concussion is a possibility, but I think that one big game resonates too much with the fanbase and the executive suite.

DeadmanWaking,

Seems more death-row/gallows humour to me, but we since we never die in this scenario and there is always a next year, you’re probably right.

nez29:

Konopka? Terrible hockey player, faceoff demon, fighter. One good thing: they could send another hockey player (Lander) back to the farm and have him enjoy success. Is that enough? Not my money claiming Konopka.

59. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Since this season is a turd, would make sense to start cycling in Marincin and Klefbom and Lander and Pitlick on a more consistent basis if they are tracking to crack line up in 2014/15 season? Best they get their feet wet and get accustomed to Eakins system and life in the NHL. This last half of season is a great time as winning games isn’t going to be nearly as important as it will be next season. We are not playoff bound so giving young prospects time in the trenches makes some sense. I would like to see each these players get at least 20 games before conclusion of the season. May help to confirm whether to keep or jettison any of them as well.

60. Pouzar says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

Agreed. Marincin/Fedun and if he’s trending up then Klefbom. Can’t get any worse.

61. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Pouzar,

Good point – Fedun as well. Guy has earned it.

62. dangilitis says:

Woodguy,
    Bjugstad has already surpassed Gagner in a lot of ways.

NICKBJUGSTAD FLA C 27 34 12.99 0.898* 0.455 0.2* 3.94* 8.22 921 1003 0.7 0.7 55.3 46.8 1.09 0.82 0.14 2.04

SAMGAGNER EDM C 89 26 13.58 0.875* 0.568 -1.8* -9.86* 7.69 870 947 0.7 0.3 50.7 50.7 0.68 0.51 0.17 1.36

In summary, Bjugstad:
    plays similar QoC (better if you go by CorsiRel of opponents) and is posting better corsi,
    similar on ice shooting % with better PDO (so a little more “luck”),
    draws as many penalties as he takes (whereas Sammy at 7 PM for every 3PM he draws),
    gets a bit more of an offensive zone push and ends more often in his own end,
    but 5×5 P/60 min are better than Gagner’s best year (2008-09).

And for all the Jason Gregor’s out there, he’s 6’6 and 215 lbs at the age of 21.

Would MacT ever be able to persuade Florida to swap “talented” Gagner for “bruising” Bjugstad?

63. Thinker says:

Throwing this out there, and I’ll probably get some flack for it, but if we fire KLowe I think we should clear house. I know Eakins and MacTavish haven’t show themselves to be the problem, but they also haven’t proven they are the solution. I think if we want to purge upper management, we have to get rid of the entire old boys club. I don’t think Mess deserves it either, but if we want a culture change, it has to be done.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

Thinker,

I agree 100% and that’s why it won’t happen.

Katz can’t just fire Lowe. He has to clean everybody out right down to Laforge and the guy that sells popcorn.

Eakins will be given until the 40 game mark next season before replacing him is even discussed. MacT has been on the job for what….7 months..? and has had 1 offseason that was unconventional(lockout, then the salary cap dropping by more than $6M)

We can bitch and moan all we want about the Lowe and the assistant coaches and Eakins effectiveness, but we’re stuck with all of them for now.

65. bookje says:

Thinker:

Wait – WE have the option to fire Kevin Lowe? That’s great because I think Katz is as likely to clone Kevin Lowe as he is to fire him.

66. delooper says:

bookje: Wait – WE have the option to fire Kevin Lowe?That’s great because I think Katz is as likely to clone Kevin Lowe as he is to fire him.

67. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Thinker,

I wouldn’t have issue with a new president situating his own people and bringing with it a culture overhaul. I don’t think MacT is an issue myself but if a new prez wanted to bring in a veteran GM, I don’t think we slide backwards. I would be very hesitant on changing out Eakins as the impact on players will be significant as its a new reset – once again. Having said that, plugging in Sutter in LA worked out pretty well when LA was drifting badly, so I shouldn’t get fixated on assuming ‘status quo’ is better than forcing change when/if you truly believe its needed. The current woes (ok…not current….like forever) of the organization make for a good argument for change…..

68. delooper says:

Gerta Rauss:

To make your comment even more poignant, please tell us everyone you’d replace these discards with and how much they’d sign for. You must have deep inside information on all prospective NHL GM’s to make such clear, unqualified statements.

69. cabbiesmacker says:

delooper: Isn’t it amazing how the Oilers have all this free, unsolicited genius-level expert advice and yet they’re not in the Stanley Cup finals every single year?

Perhaps they aren’t listening? Smarter than 29 other teams ya know. The results clearly show that.

70. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper,

I don’t understand your comment.

Thinkers’ comment was about cleaning house, and that falls on Katz.

Katz signed off on hiring MacTavish,and presumably Eakins, and until he does(or if) decide to clean house, we all have to assume he is fine with the direction of the club. And that means status quo for the rest of this season at least, and imo MacT will be given another offseason, and Eakins will be given next season to turn things around.

I’m onside with MacT and Eakins, and think it’s ridiculous to talk about firing either. Seriously.

72. Gerta Rauss says:

And until Katz thinks otherwise, we are looking at our management team for the foreseeable future.

Daniel Briere and the HAbs are apparently talking about figuring out how to end their relationship. Buffalo?

Gerta Rauss:

Which I think is a solid decision. Have to give these two time. and, as sad as it is to do it, admit that the Ralph year was a mirage. We weren’t that close, there was more work to do.

HOWEVER, give this bunch two real D, a two-way winger and maybe a Gagner replacement (we’ll see), and this thing could rumble next season.

75. bookje says:

I fully agree actually. I think its far too early to have a clear assessment of either of them. Right now MacT is trending good to me, but he seems like a guy with a longer term plan than most of us. The moves he has made look pretty good generally.

Eakins I am less certain of. I simply think its too early to judge him. Things like the treatment of Yakupov could turn out fantastic. Years from now Yakupov may be stating that “Eakins is the guy who taught me how to play and stay in the NHL”. Next year at this time, we may be talking about how great the team is doing as a result of buying into Eakins strategy. However, he could also flop and we may be talking about him as he leaves town.

I just think its too early to make the call on either of them. I think its best to stick to analysing/critiquing specific moves as they occur.

Given that uncertainty and the turmoil the team has been in for a number of years, I think firing either of them now would be crazy.

bookje: I fully agree actually.I think its far too early to have a clear assessment of either of them.Right now MacT is trending good to me, but he seems like a guy with a longer term plan than most of us.The moves he has made look pretty good generally.

Eakins I am less certain of.I simply think its too early to judge him.Things like the treatment of Yakupov could turn out fantastic.Years from now Yakupov may be stating that “Eakins is the guy who taught me how to play and stay in the NHL”.Next year at this time, we may be talking about how great the team is doing as a result of buying into Eakins strategy.However, he could also flop and we may be talking about him as he leaves town.

I just think its too early to make the call on either of them.I think its best to stick to analysing/critiquing specific moves as they occur.

The only men are the guys trying to beat you in the teal uniforms. Every. night.

77. Gerta Rauss says:

I haven’t agreed with everything MacT has done(the Smid trade is a head scratcher) but I’m willing to give them both more time-especially MacT.

MacT said publicly he didn’t get everything done this past summer he wanted to-I think the shrinking cap had a LOT to do with that. After the Ference signing we got to the 2nd week of July and (most) everybody had done their business and that was that.

My point above re: Katz was that he has 2 options imo- clean house completely or wait and see how this plays out.

And so we wait.

78. bookje says:

Lowetide: Agree on Eakins, with an explanation: I think this is a really hard job, You’ve got kids who have never had to pay attention, kids who have had 6 teachers, kids who are used to getting a snack whenever they want and kids in diapers.

I also think that Eakins is learning on the job. It’s his first NHL gig and I suspect that the 2014 version of Dallas Eakins would have loads to tell 2013 pre-donut ban Eakins (other than the whole “The goalies are secretly trying to kill you” thing). It’s just too early to know who this guy is and what he can get his team to achieve. He has made errors as well and the Power play is concerning (and it’s not Bucky’s fault), but every coach makes errors, particularly when they are new.

Personally, I hope he’s brilliant, otherwise, I am going to find the next few years tough as an Oiler fan.

Gerta Rauss:
    Thinker,

I

A disastrous pre-Olympics (which is possible, say 10% chance), and empty (paid) seats with all the home games after the Olympics might change that calculation.

If the Oilers keep just muddling in the mud, Eakins probably has till mid-season next year, but dead comatose face down in the mud for the next month is possible, since Eakins is a really bad coach.

80. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

But with dwindling attendance and interest in the team, they could also use a ‘star’ center. You know, someone with hockey bloodlines, draft pedigree, an NHL record, and an impressive youtube channel of shootout moves. Eh? Huh?

Plus, they’re just too big down the middle. Can’t have that in this new, free-wheeling NHL!

81. theres oil in virginia says:

That didn’t take long.

82. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    justDOit,

He has been quiet hasn’t he.

D.S.F. , if you are still reading this, I hope you are doing well and your not posting is just because you are working on learning how to write pleasant positive things. Best of luck with all of your struggles.

83. Thinker says:

I disagree with this. They were on pace for 77 pts under krueger. Under Renney, they got 72. Under Eakins, they are on pace for 61. Renney and Kruege’rs teams where worse than Eakins’. Eakins accused both of not teaching the kids defence, when Renney was an X and Os guy, and I never noticed the Swiss National team not playing defence. The krueger season is not out of line when compared with the Renney season. Eakins has the team on track to do worse than 10, or 11. Think about that, Pat Quinn had the team doing better.
    I also agree with most of what Eakins says, but clearly he is speaking chinese to the players. Either that or his system is broken. Which is actually plausible, because you rarely see him speak specifics. I don’t care how complicated it is, it doesn’t take half a season for players to learn a system. I don’t think I’ve liked a single line combo of his all year. And to top it off, it should be Akins. Eakins makes eek ins.
    MacT I’m more supportive of, though the Smid trade was idiotic, and it seemed like he did everything he could to handcuff himself at the draft. Really the only thing he has going for him is the perron trade. Perron has been awesome, but how much is sustainable, and how can you attribute such a revelation to a gm. I’m more inclined to list it as luck, though the perron we were expecting would still have been a great piece.
    I have zero hesitation in firing the two of them, if we are indeed cleaning house. The condition being important, as KLowe has to be the first to go.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Firing MacT/Eakins is nutty at this point and a complete pipedream.

No serious analysis makes that call given the state of where things are. The only way it happens is if Katz steps way out of character and overhauls everything.

Some random thoughts on past decision and possible changes that could help:

I think MacT will be a good GM. But I also think some of his Summer decisions (Acton, Hamilton, Grebs, Jones, Clarkson, SMac, etc.) reflect a man learning on the job. I would have liked him to serve in a proper AGM role for a couple of years under an experienced hand and then fight through a rigorous interview process for the job.

I like the Howson, Moores and Green decisions a lot. These are strong organizational moves to help MacT ply his trade and also to pursue his vision.

The Green move is probably the best organizational move this team has made recently, i.e., filling MacT’s temporary role (scouting undrafted free agents) permanently with a smart guy with a lot of hockey knowledge.

While I commend the addition of scouts, coaches, etc. it would be nice to see the pro scouting dept. overhauled, not just added to. The same goes for the assistant coaching positions. These are decisions that can be made at any time and would conceivably have a real impact on the team without jeopardizing continuity.

On top of that, although I think such a move is largely moot now, KLowe can be fired at any time.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thinker,

It’s a bit of a non-starter to evaluate seasons based on points alone when there is so much more information available.

theres oil in virginia: That didn’t take long.

Sam Gagner 29, 5-8-13
    Daniel BRiere 29, 5-5-10

87. bookje says:

Thinker,

Since the goaltending has stopped going all monkey paw, the team has been as strong as Renney and Kruger’s teams.

I like Kruger and I think he would have done better to this point with this team simply because of continuity. However, I don’t know who would be better in the long run.

88. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: Sam Gagner 29, 5-8-13
    Daniel BRiere 29, 5-5-10

Danny has 12:37 ATOI too this year. That’ll impact the box cars but I think they got him for the post season, he has a history of this. Nada all year then boom in the extra season.

89. bookje says:

Genjutsu: Danny has 12:37 ATOI too this year.That’ll impact the box cars but I think they got him for the post season he has a history of this.Nada all year then boom in the extra season.

LT likes to call those guys clutch players. He’s a big fan!

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Sam Gagner 29, 5-8-13
    Daniel BRiere 29, 5-5-10

Those big, long UFA contracts for guys running deep into their 30s… how many of them look good at the end?

Aside from age… has Briere fought injury this year? IIRC he’s had concussion issues.

91. Thinker says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

But the points relate the oilers place in the league in relation to other teams. When two teams are close in points, they likely have similar playing abilities. Fancy stats are great, but there is no need to overcomplicate things. The oilers are further away from competing than they have ever been. I just used points because I’m lazy and wanted to easily quantify performance.

92. bookje says:

bookje: LT likes to call those guys clutch players.He’s a big fan!

Actually, a quick look shows him scoring at more than 2x the rate during the playoffs than the regular season over a large sample of both. Perhaps this vindicates ‘clutch’ – what say you LT and Woodguy?

*note – a further look suggests this is a ‘year’ affect in that he did better in years where his team made the playoffs than in years when they did not.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Watching ep. 3 of Oil Change:

One tidbit worth pondering is a couple of random filler clips thrown in under the voice over of Yak palling around with Hall and then Ebs on separate occasions before games.

94. flyfish1168 says:

Thinker,

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Firing MacT/Eakins is nutty at this point and a complete pipedream.

Some random thoughts on past decision and possible changes that could help:

I agree with you on eakins. I’m getting the since he is a knowledgeable hockey person. But it takes a special person to teach. I don’t get that with eakins. He is to much of a hardliner and today that doesn’t work well anymore. You have to treat everybody equally.

Listening to Ralph last year I felt he too is a knowledgeable hockey person but also a good teacher and is an inspirational speaker with a very good resume from coaching the Swiss national team.

i always wondered this, if the leafs thought so highly of eakins why didn’t they hire him or move him up the food chain faster. Its not like the leafs have done much better than our Oilers.

95. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Watching ep. 3 of Oil Change:

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thinker:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

But standings are an equally poor way to evaluate a team’s talent or value. They are an excellent way to evaluate a team’s actual success vs. their peers, but that is a completely different question — neither question, btw, is unimportant.

A couple of threads ago, there was a good conversation about the problems that last year poses to evaluating this team… it was just such an exceptional year (new coach, short season, no real camp or preseason, only West team, etc.) that it is probably best that we downplay its successes/failures.

97. VanOil says:

I think we can all agree that Joey Moss would likely be a better defensive coach than Steve Smith.

bookje: LT likes to call those guys clutch players.He’s a big fan!

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168:
    Thinker,

I agree with you on eakins. I’m getting the since he is a knowledgeable hockey person. But it takes a special person to teach.I don’t get that with eakins. He is to much of a hardliner and today that doesn’t work well anymore. You have to treat everybody equally.

I think the comments system grabbed the wrong quote…

at any rate, I’ve come the conclusion — more and more strongly — that comparisons of RK and Eakins really aren’t fair to either coach. Really, accidents of history is all that force this comparison anyway.

I think RK would have done well with a strong — probably stronger than K. Acton — Associate and 2 new Assistants. He needed some tactical advice… a lot actually. But, fate wasn’t kind and he didn’t get enough rope to show what he could do. It isn’t really fair to him to thrust him into this narrative.

As far as Eakins goes, he’s said from day one that you have to treat each playing individually and give them their own game plan. Judging by the things we actually know (player usage, TOI, roster assignments, verbal from player and coach) this seems to be the case.

That doesn’t jibe with your “treat everyone equal” comment, but nor does it with your “hardliner” one.

I also don’t think you can fault him for Toronto not elevating him when Wilson left. And, there was a lot of moaning out of Toronto when he did leave for EDM.

We face the same problem here with Nelson… he’s going to get an NHL job soon and we’ll miss him dearly and his new team (probably a very bad team) will have fans saying “I guess this is why EDM never gave him the job” :)

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Is it just me or are these just not very interesting anymore. I couldn’t believe how little time was spent on the Smid trade and Bryz signing.

Well, they were never interesting if you wanted to know much about how things actually work or why decisions are made… but they are pretty interesting all the same.

This is a “human element” story they are telling… there is more about what they eat, drive and who they hang out with than how they negotiate a contract or execute a play on the ice.

101. oilersfan says:

I loved Anderson but Tikkanen is my all time fave clutch player.

102. flyfish1168 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I remember eakins commenting about individual assignments i totally agree with this part of his team plan. But if an individual is not performing his assignments and is a veteran player should he get a pass. No in my books. This is where equality is a must. You would think a veteran would make less mistakes than a less experience player. Accountability of the mistakes made is important. Everyone needs to be accountable to theirs mistakes. This is where equality is measured.

103. Survioil says:

Glenn Anderson, was my favourite and if we had anyone beside Perron who would fly a Kamikaze mission once in awhile, this team would be more bearable to watch. I can deal with lack of talent but the lack of “make me” is hard to swallow.

104. VanOil says:

I wish the Oilers were having Colorado’s improbable season. I have all but forgotten what it is like to cheer for a young talented team that wins against the odds. Oil Change episodes just show wallowing misery, not change. The standings the same. As for the future prospects there is no way that they can be as good as the prospects that have made the team over the last four years. So they are unlikely to have any great impact on the standings, yeah for 28th not 30th.

105. justDOit says:

Just watching the Rus/US game. You know, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to target Grigorenko out of Buffalo – Sleepychef seems to have some good chemistry with him. Hodgson/Gagner will be a force in Buffalo.

106. misfit says:

commonfan14: Yandle seems like a possible Lubo, but we don’t really have a Greene.It should’ve been Peckham… so that sucks.

I meant less in terms of who compares to him from a play style perspective than I do his station with the team.

Matt Greene was a young player who the team may have felt they could replace in house, but had qualities valued by other teams. I think the age range that Greene fell into matched up what Lombardi was trying to build up on his roster. I think our “Matt Greene” equivalent might be one of our highly touted prospects on the verge of making the NHL, or maybe not even a defenseman at all.

Is Gagner and Klefbom for Yandle the equivalent to Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky today? Is that a move either team would, or should make? I’d have to think Edmonton would do it, but not so sure about Phoenix.

107. bookje says:

Lowetide: Glenn Anderson personifies clutch. Look how many more points-per-game he scored in the playoffs. Incredible. I believe clutch and Glenn Anderson will be a chapter in the ‘logic and reason’ book we’ll all write one day.

I read comments from the bottom up and scroll upwards as I go. When I got to this one, your name was just off the top of the screen so I couldn’t see it and I thought “This comment may make LT explode”.

108. GordM says:

I went to the Shark Tank back in 2008 for an Oiler game. Roli stole it and Gilbert got the OT winner (we had no business winning but whatever). I remember a sense of jealousy looking around the crowd that night:

-Reasonable ticket prices
    -Great building/atmosphere
    -Tremendous success over the long term and what looks like a roster that can sustain it (I would kill to be a fan of a team lamenting failing at the conf finals level)

Other than Marleau, a team not built upon years of failing as MacT suggests is required. I suppose one could argue the luck (Thornton trade) and perhaps a market easier to attract FAs to…but all I see is a well run organization.

109. Rebilled says:

Anyone else just getting the non-HD on Bell?

A nice defensive play by Petry there. Really nice. Petry is an NHL defenseman, joined on the Oilers by

111. edoil1 says:

Sorry to all of you on here that in my opinion overvalue Sam,when I heard they gave him 4.9 a year I almost drove of the road, the only time I almost hit the ditch was on the Horcoff contract.As I have said on here before our scouting “over rated” Mark Pouliot,anybody would look good playing junior with the best player in the game Crosby we know how that turned out,then they go and draft and “over rate”Sam who was playing with a top 10 NHL player in Patrick Kane.He had an 8 point game last year to pad his stats,can’t play in his own zone or win faceoffs.Yes he’s a nice guy,look’s like he tries hard but in reality would be lucky to be on the 3rd line of a good NHL hockey team.Try and trade that contract,”hooped” again Lowe.

112. justDOit says:

edoil1,

Hi EDOIL1!

My God what a hopeless hockey team.

114. VanOil says:

This game seems more even when the sharks are down a man 5v5 it does not seem to be a fair fight.

115. Rebilled says:

I guess we should actually pray for power plays this game. Holy crow.

116. Derek says:

My God what a hopeless hockey team.

It’s like they’re only allowed to play at half speed in their own end of the rink.

117. Thiru says:

Nice zone entry by Gagner there.

118. Thiru says:

Not doing a good enough job collapsing around the slot defensively.

Marincin made a nice outlet pass there.

120. justDOit says:

I’m still watching the end of the Rus/US game, and you guys are really killing my buzz here.

121. Bulging Twine says:

Seen this yet?

Team Canada management.

Yzerman on Eberle: I really like him, he’s a bit light and a bit young yet, but he has elite hockey sense

122. VanOil says:

How different can the Sharks pp be than there 5v5 dominance?

123. GordM says:

Watching Nuge stop on a dime and head the other way with speed like he did on that turnover at the blue line is an absolute thing of beauty.

124. Rebilled says:

Classic.

125. jp says:

Is Gagner coming around? Just maybe?

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That PP, though it didn’t cash, was about as good as I’ve seen it in ages.

Of course, in the midst of it… my stream crashed and the next one that worked magically jumped 4 or 5 minutes into the future!

127. jp says:

Gheez. I thought Petry played that well. It was a hook though.

128. jp says:

Also, is Dubnyk going to be able to make the 68 saves required tonight to keep this game close?

129. spoiler says:

Ference and Schultz worked their bags off on that penalty kill..

130. VanOil says:

Marincin getting PK time. Oilers tried and tested chuck em in the deepend development strategy.

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wow… 19 looked like a terrified, wobbly cat on that play.

132. Rebilled says:

jp,

Probably not.

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ok… so Dubnyk hates the Oilers this year.

134. GordM says:

That’s not going to help keep Yakupov out of the press box

135. OilBuzz says:

dat giveaway

136. Romulus Apotheosis says:

As the SJS announcers note… Mike Brown lingering in the slot probably screened Dubs. Because former Oilers have to lead to Oiler death.

137. jp says:

Don’t worry folks, Dubnyk and the Oilers are going to dig deep here and make a game of this.

I don’t believe that for a second, but wouldn’t it be great if they didn’t fold like a tent here? Sigh.

138. Pablo Aimar says:

Space Dad:
    godot10,

Dallas Eakins is a good coach.

No he isn’t.

139. spoiler says:

Pablo Aimar: Space Dad:
    godot10,
    Dallas Eakins is a good coach.
    No he isn’t.

Yes he is… I feel like we’re really moving things forward here with this trollish behavior.

edoil1:
    Sorry to all of you on here that in my opinion overvalue Sam,when I heard they gave him 4.9 a year I almost drove of the road, the only time I almost hit the ditch was on the Horcoff contract.As I have said on here before our scouting “over rated” Mark Pouliot,anybody would look good playing junior with the best player in the game Crosby we knowhow that turned out,then they go and draftand “over rate”Sam who was playing with a top 10 NHL player in Patrick Kane.He had an 8 point game last year to pad his stats,can’t play in his own zone or win faceoffs.Yes he’s a nice guy,look’s like he tries hard but in reality would be lucky to be onthe 3rd line of a good NHL hockey team.Try and trade that contract,”hooped” again Lowe.

The Oilers drafted Marc Pouliot before he ever played a single second with Sydney Crosby.

141. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Yes he is…I feel like we’re really moving things forward here with this trollish behavior.

It’s like a news years resolution or something. More freaking out!

142. Pablo Aimar says:

What trollish behavior are you referring to? If everyone agrees that Eakins is a good coach will that “move things forward”? I doubt it. Believing in things doesn’t make them true unfortunately.

143. Derek says:

The Thornton line is killing the Nuge line.

Pablo Aimar: No he isn’t.

Ordinarily we ask for something that moves the conversation forward. I’m sure you will next time.

145. Thiru says:

If Eakins were to shelter everyone appropriately, no one would be on the ice versus the Sharks top 2 lines.

Poor guy.

146. spoiler says:

Otherwise it is just inflammatory.

147. jp says:

Derek:
    The Thornton line is killing the Nuge line.

Is there any Sharks player not killing any Oilers player?

Actually, scratch that. I could do without an update on the game stats.

148. spoiler says:

And boring.

Agreed.

150. Pablo Aimar says:

Sorry guys, I”ll be sure not to interrupt the circle jerk anymore. Wouldn’t want to puncture anyone’s delusions about “good arrows”.

151. justDOit says:

Pablo Aimar,

Hi Pablow!

152. edoil1 says:

godot10,

I did not know that,thanks for pointing that out,I only thought he played with Crosby,but reguardless was a bad pick .

153. flyfish1168 says:

Will be interesting to see if Yak gets much more playing time.

154. jp says:

It’s happened before: http://cor.gi/page/10

155. Derek says:

Nick Schultz is to the 2014 NHL entry draft, as Khabibulin was to the 2010/11/12 ones for the Edmonton Oilers.

Or something.

156. jp says:

Nice PKing there by Marincin and Lander.

157. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I’m sure hoping Marincin can develop his ‘thinking’ of the game. That, combined with increased confidence, his skating ability and his dollop of offence and you have a very nice defenseman in 3 years. Invest in this player.

158. justDOit says:

jp:
    It’s happened before: http://cor.gi/page/10

Snort worthy!

159. Derek says:

That was the longest shift ever for RNH and J Schultz. You could see that goal coming a mile away.

160. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Worst shift of the year?

I’m mean that in terms of 6 man unit failure over a solid, too, too long span.

161. Ben says:

Love Hall. But THAT is why he’s not going to Russia.

162. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Shots: 22-8 SJS.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

164. Rebilled says:

The San Jose Shots are really good.

165. jp says:

This game isn’t “on” Dubnyk by any means. But gheez.

166. rich says:

Rebilled:
    The San Jose Shots are really good.

And the Edmonton Oilers are really bad.

167. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I’m developing a Canucks/flames hate for this San Jose team and how they completely exploit us. Not because their dicks, but they have the book on us. They are a well balanced, well coached team.

168. fuzzy muppet says:

Just remember:

They’re getting better

169. jp says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

170. jp says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Just remember:

They’re getting better

The Sharks? Ah shit!

171. gvblackhawk says:

jp:
    This game isn’t “on” Dubnyk by any means. But gheez.

He was out of position on the Couture goal. That glove hand side was wide open. The defense were napping on that play, too.

172. gvblackhawk says:

fuzzy muppet,

That’s what Caramel Oblivious keeps saying, too, but there is no evidence of any improvement. By eye, by advanced stats, or by counting numbers. Now is the decade of our discontent.

173. Halfwise says:

Oh, the Corgimanity!

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: That’s one way to think about it. But if I understand asset management (and I do), Marincin’s emergence allows you to trade Petry now.

The trade already happened: Smid.

Marincin is LD.

Your understanding is perfect though. It’s the Oiler way.

Nuge will be traded when Katz’ son hits puberty.

175. Pouzar says:

Soooooooooooooooooo…Ekblad-McDavid?

done.

176. Ben says:

Eberle is Made by Gund.

177. nez29 says:

I’m lookin’ for the positive–that 4th line shift didn’t suck! But, Gagner still does,,,,,

178. edoil1 says:

It look’s like they tuned out early tonight,but the question has to be raised,why? when Calgary,now Florida and Buffalo seem to try to compete with less talent supposedly,I mean please fire or change something,Over pay for a bloody NHL defencemen,do something it’s Jan 2.Three more month’s of this,at least in the movie ‘Green Mile’ it was over when the credits came up.

179. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ben:
    Eberle is Made by Gund.

There’s a very meta LT joke in here. I like it.

180. jp says:

It looks like we may not even get score effects tonight.

This must be how Norway feels as the Jrs.

181. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Nuge will be traded when Katz’ son hits puberty.

Is there a way to suppress that, with pharmaceuticals?

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp:
    It looks like we may not even get score effects tonight.

This must be how Norway feels as the Jrs.

Norway beat Germany, which is like a really terrible team (say Buf) beating a terrible team (say the Oilers).

183. Rebilled says:

Great job!

184. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yak, just for kicks!

185. jp says:

Good for Yakupov. That’s progress.

186. Pouzar says:

Eberle just passed to Yak. Swear to god.

187. justDOit says:

Pouzar:
    Soooooooooooooooooo…Ekblad-McDavid?

done.

Oilers still bad

In twenty fifteen

Eichel Eichel Eichel…

188. rich says:

Glad that Yak got that one. Might help his confidence which would only be good for this team.

189. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: Is there a way to suppress that, with pharmaceuticals?

Only with a lot of planning and prophylactics.

190. flyfish1168 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Yak, just for kicks!

He still going to find a way to get benched before the nights out

191. nez29 says:

YAK!!!! Cue up” I’m Lookin’ For Something To Believe In”(Ramones classic)

192. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar:
    Eberle just passed to Yak. Swear to god.

I’m going to mark that on the calender

193. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Only with a lot of planning and prophylactics.

Flux capacitors, it is!

194. Genjutsu says:

About the Smid deal: he had to go, it was an internal conflict between with him being the lesser value. His significant other didn’t want to leave the area and after signing a deal to stay they felt obligated to move him to Calgary.

Now you know more.