OUT OF THE BLUE, A GEM

If you’ve slogged through all of the Oiler games this season, then last night’s gem came as manna from heaven. A strong effort, overcoming evildoers and using brilliant skill to win the day against a legit (if flawed) opponent. Seems like a long,  long time. It was possibly the most encouraging game all season. Seriously. They made mistakes and it cost them, but the Oilers appear to be improving in very specific areas that have to do with hard work, positioning and paying attention.

The coach is reaching them, they are listening and even more important, applying the lessons of the classroom to real life problems. Is our children learning? Last night, the answer was an overwhelming yes. Now, to do it again!

schultz common1

The defense seems to be coming together a little. Marincin-Petry worked very well (Petry had a Corsi for 5×5% of 61.9!) despite some mistakes (the play made by Petry was pivotal to the game until it wasn’t, one of the few times in this season when a defender got off the hook because the team won a game. I was glad for him, Petry’s going to be a good NHL defenseman for years to come) and all of the blue were 50% or more at Corsi for % 5×5 last night.

I hope they keep Belov around, there’s some skating issues but he brings some interesting things to the game. Justin Schultz has had a miserable season but lately there are some signs of good things, and Martin Marincin has been a revelation. A little early for me to crow about Stu MacGregor’s second round picks, but this young man is certainly establishing himself as one of the 6 best options every night (it’s actually a little better than that, but let’s slow play things). hurdle gif

David Staples has a must-read article up at the EJ, it is here.

• MacT: “We have a hard time sustaining the O-zone (offensive zone) play, even with our best players. They are quick attack guys. So it’s either a five-star play or it’s a one (shot) and out. We consequently spend a lot of time in our defensive zone because we don’t sustain in the offensive zone. So we’re flawed there. Our defence, I’ve said many times, needs to improve.”

One of many worthwhile quotes in the article, I thought it was interesting because it speaks to the style of the team and perhaps a glimpse into why they want bigger men to play alongside the roadrunners. As I’ve said many times in the past, we love big players who can play—that’s been the flaw of Jacques and Stone and really the current Finn too, although that’s not fair to Joensuu I just don’t think we’ve seen him at his best (beyond first 2 periods, G1). A big winger who can play, a Dustin Penner or a Scott Hartnell, for sure. Oilers haven’t had that player since Billy Guerin.

THE RECORD

Dallas Eakins

• First 20: 4-14-2
  • Second 20: 9-10-1
  • Current 20: 2-3-2
  • Overall: 15-27-5

Last night was fun, actual fun, watching the Oilers. What a wonderful group of talents and for one night they played together in the most complete game of the season. We should remember this when the corgi’s are barking on Sunday and the Gords won’t come to the phone.

152 Responses to "OUT OF THE BLUE, A GEM"

1. Ontario Oilers Fan says:

That game was against the odds. Can the Oilers pull together and right the ship?

2. borisnikov says:

It’s so hard to remember when we need to though. What do you really think the likeliness is that they exit the death wobble enough this season to recover and drive straight next season? Willis did a post a while back on (I think team record and corsi) and showed the unlikeliness of a team making the playoffs after a season, or seasons, of suck.

Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

Bigger forwards with skill would be nice, but the upgrade from small forwards with skill isn’t nearly as large as the upgrades needed on the blue.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

are your 2nd and 3rd pairings, this team might be competitive in the WC without changing a forward.

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sometimes when I stare at that hurdler gif too long, I remember that there is a very grumpy teen in the left corner, disgusted at the exuberance on display: “it’s 8:30 in the morning! damn your giggly eyes!”

She makes me fall in love with the gif all over again.

5. GordM says:

IIRC, on the Oil Change episode covering the 2010 draft, the scouts were debating over Pitlick or Marincin at 31…then fortunately he was still there at 46 for us (that pick via the Nash trade). If the Oilers ever auctioned off the ability to sit in their war room on draft day I wonder what it would go for.

On that play when Yakupov circled the entire team in the PIT zone it was great to watch even though it ended with a turnover (nothing dangerous though given it was in the corner). Reminded me of a Crosby play in an OT game back in his second NHL season. His ended in a bad turnover that resulted in a Souray GWG. These young skill players…fun to watch and they eventually figure it out.

Here’s the play if interested…horribly shaky fan video was all I could find:

6. Halfwise says:

From last year to this year, the biggest difference that I see is how many Oilers are visible in the TV frame when the puck is in their end. The Swarm got the scorn early in the season, but to my eye it’s just them finally being responsible in their own end. That’s a good start.

From early this year to now, the biggest difference that I see is, sadly, incompetent goaltending has been replaced by average goaltending. Smarter observers than I have wondered how the team would be feeling about itself if some of those beachballs had stayed out of the net, back when some of us still had hope.

From the 4-2 victory in Calgary to now (for some reason that is where the season from hell changed for me) the biggest difference I see is better sustained effort. They aren’t quitting.

Glad to see Marincin and Belov doing well. MacT is going to need a hat with more rabbits like these in it.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“As I’ve said many times in the past, we love big players who can play—that’s been the flaw of Jacques and Stone and really the current Finn too, although that’s not fair to Joensuu I just don’t think we’ve seen him at his best (beyond first 2 periods, G1).”

We’ve beaten this horse before, but one curiosity I saw the other day was this:

He wasn’t even taking practice. And, there is no mention of injury or illness officially:

So, maybe they just haven’t bothered with the paperwork because they expect whatever it is to be short term (maybe a flu bug?). But, man, it’s not helping us get a read on the player, if we can’t even see him and when we do, we’re never sure if he’s 100%.

Until last year, with the hernia, he’s never had injury problems. It seems likely, we caught him at an entirely unfortunate time… because Oilers.

Eakins talked about the team sticking to the game plan when down and that’s a huge part of it.

I think he is teaching them the right way to play and that once the team gets their mind around that, the results will improve.

Its interesting that whipping boy Gagner still had the slowest corgi in the race, but seeing he played against Crosby all night, its forgivable.

What is really heartening is Acro’s 2nd line:

5v5
    Arco 59%
    Yak 55%
    Eberle 50%

They got a lighter load by eye (ES’s matchups for the game aren’t up yet), but Arco continues to have the fastest corgi when at 2C and its not close.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 58s

After a couple of 8am skates this week, Eakins cancels a 9am pre flight skate Saturday morning.

10. Pajamah says:

I completely understand you.cant just pick and choose the segments of the year to determine which position a team finishes at the end of the season, but you take out those first 20 games, the team is exactly what most people expected them to be

11-13-3 seems very Oilers. The last 27 haven’t been easy games as we’ve seen Pittsburgh, St.Louis twice, Chicago, SJ just recently.

This team is still far away, but nowhere near as bad as their record.

I love this bit right at the start of part 1 (there are 3 parts…..and there are 4 lights)

Staples: I was crunching the numbers on the Katz era, on the team’s points percentage, and under Daryl you have the worst points percentage in the league. So I trying to figure out why this is. Get at the root of that. What is going on?

MacTavish: He took over in ’08. I was there in ’08-09 and left.

Staples: So that year you had 30-something wins. You did OK. Then you left and since then it’s been really downhill.

MacTavish: Yes. The way I looked at it, when I left, I had lost faith in the the team and so forth, and they had lost faith in the coaching at that point. It was just, the time to go was right.

I sum it up this way:

Staples : Oilers have sucked since Katz bought the team

MacT: Yeah, its because I left

12. Bos8 says:

I liked the Mactavish interview a lot and I was never a MacT fan. The thing I agree on most is – I don’t care on the years gone by, I care about right now. The quality D is in the pipeline, if Marincin is any indication. The forwards – Khaira, Chase, Moroz and Houck, not counting the Russians, are all trending upward. Again MacT is right in that the Oilers cannot compete with the big teams but they can compete with everyone else.

It is what it is. No one is going to gift the Oilers with the Stud D, they’ll have to grow their own or maybe overpay for a secondary one in free agency. Take away the disaster start and the Oilers are right where they should be, at 500 hockey.

As the cry goes – “Wait till next year”.

WG: MacT’s a gem. A pure gem. My favourite part of his entry interview with media was the point when someone asked him about the management group letting the team down when he was coach (I don’t recall exact language) and MacT said I don’t believe I ever let this team down.

It’s a character thing, something imo to be admired. There’s a sense of clarity and vision, and he has it. A valuable thing in a leader.

14. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

WG,

I just select-all and copy that sucker into Word.

15. Bos8 says:

Agreed on the vision thing. “This is where we are, this is where we’re going, bear with me”.

Damn, I appreciate honesty.

16. thejonrmcleod says:

This has nothing to do with anything above, but I just noticed that the Oilers have 2 of the NHL’s top-10 LW scoring leaders.

The EJ has two problems imo. The paywall is one thing, and I don’t agree but understand it. the other thing they have as a problem is their bloggers are passing their reporters in terms of quality. I’ll take Joanne Ireland as my beat reporter all day (she’s terrific, no bs just the goods and she digs) but the actual information that I value is on the blog side.

At a guess, I’d say the blog side costs them half or less than the reporter side. At some point, the EJ is going to have to make some tough decisions. Not while Matty is still going, and certainly I’d suggest Ireland is a keeper, but they may stop doing road trips at some point and that’s a big change from the olden days. I bet Matheson and Jones weep at the state of the world, but as a hungry reader I just don’t value the quote over the Corsi.

And I’m not alone.

Here’s the payoff for LT:

(they are talking about Lowe)

. To me, he very much lets me run the hockey side of things. He’s very conscientious, I mean, I’ll ask his opinion, but he’s very conscientious to default to what I want to do.

Staples: So it’s all on you then.

MacTavish: I would say. I’m comfortable doing the job. And I feel confident we’re going to get there. Is it painful for everybody? Yeah.

There you are.

Its all on MacT.

Get some goddam 1st pairing D MacT.

19. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Sometimes that is just a short-term embargo and access opens up after a few hours. Most CoH articles I read are a day old because of this.

I got in fine this time with just right-click and open in new window.

I remember that part of the presser.

He’s right too.

I’ve said on this blog many time he should have got a Jack Adams for taking 50% AHL teams to the playoffs or close.

Its even alluded to in the Staples piece.

MacT leaves, Lowe and Tambellini want to chase, think MacT is part of the problem, bring in Quinn and BAM 30th place.

21. Halfwise says:

Pouzar,

Select All, Copy and the Paste into Word works great. Thanks for the tip.

RexLibris:
    Woodguy,

I got in fine this time with just right-click and open in new window.

I had just read my quota of 10 free articles.

I cleared out my sandbox and BAM!, had a clean slate.

If you don’t surf the web in a sandbox, you are doing it wrong:

sandboxie.com

23. SoCaloil says:

Nice to see them not give up after being down by 2

He still is a work in progress

Nuge!!! We want more and more and more all season long!!
    Great game from the Nuge.

LT. How fitting that you had him as a cover photo on the pre game write up. Must be some black magic

Woodguy: I remember that part of the presser.

He’s right too.

Its even alluded to in the Staples piece.

“Holy Mackerel we’re in a pile of shit!”

SoCaloil:
    Nice to see them not give up after being down by 2

Petry s stats may be great, but he still got beat at least twice.One of them for a grade A chance in front of the net
    He still is a work in progress

Nuge!!!We want more and more and more all season long!!
    Great game from the Nuge.

LT. How fitting that you had him as a cover photo on the pre game write up.Must be some black magic

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve never had the EJ problem. I’ve had it elsewhere and one trick I’ve found that works is to refresh the article and then stop it from loading in that sweet spot right after the article has loaded but prior to the paywall kicking in. Seems to work for foreign policy; toronto star; the dish; etc.

———-

SoCaloil: Petry s stats may be great, but he still got beat at least twice. One of them for a grade A chance in front of the net
    He still is a work in progress

I think we need to relax about this.

This framing is just like the “soft goal” debate in general, i.e., it misses the forest for the trees.

And, in this specific instance it refuses to concede the competitive nature of the game. Petry’s actions don’t occur in a vacuum. In both cases, he was defending Malkin. MALKIN for fuck’s sake.

And the first one looked more like random puck luck than losing a battle.

27. RexLibris says:

I’ve read quite a lot on this topic (online vs print – a professional requirement) and there has been a strong push-pull for any business with a foot in each world. It isn’t so much that they have to decide on on or the other, physical print has proven remarkably resilient and is unlikely to ever truly disappear, but they need to find the balance between.

The biggest challenges I have witnessed in these situations are businesses adapting their print business models to online or electronic content and file access. The capital cost is often significantly lower but the price points tend towards being inflated either because of lure of larger profit margins or overreacting fears of piracy and electronic theft.

Then of course you have the industry resistance to contributors who are perceived as amateur interlopers lacking the professional accreditation and training in journalistic philosophies, which can appear hypocritical when one considers the state of professional (ie: non-partisan) journalism in many markets today.

Some great books on this subject out there and a fascinating cultural shift in the print industry and consumer psychology.

28. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Was it last season that Datsyuk turned Petry inside out and scored?

Flush Petry on account of that play or put his picture up on the wall alongside a looooong list of other good defensemen who’ve lost their jock to #13?

I vote the latter and ask for more Petrys in the near future.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

Read this part very carefully… very carefully:

MacTavish: That looks like 4 and 1/2 years of rebuild to me that I’ve seen (since January 2010). I don’t think this rebuild is materially different than any of the other teams that we’re trying to emulate, Pittsburgh, Chicago and L.A. And I remember, L.A., the year they won the Cup (2011-12), it was the first year where Dean Lombardi was really on the hot seat. If they didn’t make the playoffs that year, he was gone. He was going to be let go. He had done an unbelievable job in my mind up until that point. They had no addressed the biggest need that they had, which was goaltending. So they were getting better but goaltending was still very soft. And then when Quick came and they were fired (coach) Terry Murray and brought Daryl in, they went from whatever it was, how many years out of the playoffs to winning the Cup.

… … …

MacTavish: Quick developed. And he gave them the spark. He was the guy that gave them the spark that ignited that team. The team still has trouble scoring goals but they really were challenged back that year and it was all based on defence and the play of Jonathan Quick.

30. Hammers says:

Woodguy:
    Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

Agreed and we can’t wait for Nurse & Klefbom

31. Marcus Oilerius says:

Hello…

How does everybody feel about the Oilers being just one point behind the Flames, now that over half the season is gone and Ekblad is in sight?

32. oilabroad says:

mact: “We’re still a long ways away, but I think in the bottom 15 teams in the league, we’re very competitive.”
    I am a mact fan but that line makes me laugh and cry at the same time…

Marcus Oilerius:
    Hello…

34. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: This team needs something to build on. A 30-win season from here looks like a dream. win games, worry about Ekblad when the time comes. If Draisaitl is the consolation prize, I’ll take it.

I feel that way, too, but the thought of Ekblad in a Flames jersey, Regehring Hall for 10 years, makes me sad :(

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oilabroad:
    I am a mact fan but that line makes me laugh and cry at the same time…

If you look at the standings, try to sort out trend lines and realize some of the eastern teams are going to see no path to the playoffs soon and start hobbling their teams (it takes longer in the east to be knocked out of contention, it’s just so damn weak), I seems hard to imagine us being in the bottom 2 at the end of the season.

It is more realistic to be thinking in the 4-7 range and acquaint yourself with those players: Draisaitl is the obvious target here. (I mean if you win the lottery, or somehow end up 29th, get Reinhart or Ekblad… but at this point the smart money is in the 4-7 range).

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  37. Andy P says:

Woodguy,

Try deleting your internet cookies. Usually puts you back on the free trial.

38. Hammers says:

So a good game but still when evaluating Gags didn’t do well and Perron looks better with RNH even though he still had a decent game . Arco’s line didn’t do as well as I hoped but there’s hope .Nick needs to go now & let Fedun & Klefbom get some games. For me Belov played steady and deserves to be on this present team .

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Assuming that knee is going to be OK… we are T-minus almost nothing until we see Curtis get his coffee:

We’ve got more resources invested in development than any other team in the NHL. We’ve got guys that are developing now. We’ve got Curtis Hamilton who’s finally started to develop and take a turn. It looks like he’s going to be a player. He’s 215 pounds. He can get some zone time. Pitlick has started to develop. Marincin is here, he looks like he’s going to be a good player. He’s played well. Gernat has started to develop. So there are a number of guys. Klefbom, he’s developing. What we have to do now is we’ve got to get these competitive guys into our organization. I’m happy with the high end forwards. I believe that we very much can win with the talent level that we have. Now we have to develop the competitiveness.

I mean, first he gets a “future watch” segment; lovely piece in the Oklahoma paper; they put a helmet cam on him in practice and now the manager mentions him first in a list of prospects coming up through the ranks.

40. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I love the Nuge, have to stop myself from putting his photo up more often. He’s just a kid, but the wiring in that brain is a gift from the Gods.

Man I can’t wait till he grows and gets stronger. He’s got decent strength and balance on his skates now but try and take the puck from him in 3-4 years. Good luck.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“So we’re flawed there. Our defence, I’ve said many times, needs to improve. If you want to get me on a few things, Grebeshkov was a failed experiment.”

Ouch. That hits right in the balls.

I don’t disagree with it. But I probably wouldn’t say that about a player to the press, esp. while he’s in the organization at the time.

It’s just not cricket.

End the contract. Wish him well. Call him a failed experiment in five years after he’s retired.

42. Pouzar says:

thejonrmcleod:
    This has nothing to do with anything above, but I just noticed that the Oilers have 2 of the NHL’s top-10LW scoring leaders.

And a T-6 scoring RWer…the forgotten one.

43. oilabroad says:

After reading all these, I actually came away with more respect for Staples than MacT… he did a bang up job on this

44. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

You can beat the pay wall by reading COH on your phone or Ipad…

45. Pouzar says:

Can’t wait to read it. I am a believer in MacT. I was hoping he would leave when he was coach only b/c that gig had run it’s course. Always believed he was a smart cookie.

46. Bos8 says:

Aww, what the hey. Blow 99 cents instead of doing contortions.

47. oilabroad says:

all you have to do is close the box that pops up before the text appears

48. Ryan says:

And I’m not alone.

The Edmonton journal has another (bigger) problem that you didn’t mention…

You!

Lowetide sailed by the Edmonton Journal’s hockey coverage a very long time ago for me.

edit–> though I do agree and read the blog side–especially for the post-mortems.

49. ASkoreyko says:

Woodguy:
    Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

You can get around the paywall if you use Chrome browser (or any browser that has a private browsing feature) by enabling incognito tab (or whatever your browser uses for private browsing). It blocks or obscures your IP address so the Journal does not know if its a unique login or not.

Same thing works for NYT, Globe and Mail and National Post.

50. gcw_rocks says:

“The coach is reaching them, they are listening and even more important, applying the lessons of the classroom to real life problems”

You can’t reach that conclusion on one game, and there had been little in the previous games to suggest that is the case.

I hope Eakins is saying, “see? A little defence can help.” But that was hardly a defensive gem. And it hardly represents a trend.

51. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

Use “in private” or “incognito” browsing to read ed journal articles. Or go to D Staples twitter and follow his link to story.

gcw_rocks:

The applied the lessons learned last night, and we know that youth takes time to do things consistently. They LOOKED like a team pulling in one direction (hi Harry!) last night for the first time under Eakins.

I don’t really think there’s a way to obscure its importance. It’s a monster.

53. czar says:

Last night was the first game I wore the Nuge jersey my 15 yr old bought me for Christmas using his own cash! I nearly cried when I opened it and when Nuge scored last night! Great game and loved the effort, just hope it carries over to the next one.

czar:
    Last night was the first game I wore the Nuge jersey my 15 yr old bought me for Christmas using his own cash!Inearly cried when I opened it and when Nuge scored last night!Great game and loved the effort, just hope it carries over to the next one.

Isn’t that amazing. With their own money. Those are sweet words for a parent.

55. Bos8 says:

The team at this point has a very delicate psyche, you can see them sag with every bad turn of the puck. The other thing is that they lack, as MacT called it, “A Driver”. In an extreme example – you didn’t want to upset Messier – He’d hang you on the wall.

56. bookje says:

And I’m not alone.

90% of the quotes are from the post game press conference. I could sit at my desk and transcribe them off of the oilers page in 2014. No need to send Jones to the games.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Staples: I want to ask you about one thing that an alarm bell might have gone off. You know there is a cronyism allegation around this franchise, that a lot of fans hurl that at you, so this summer when you signed Will Acton to the team, was that a concern, that that might come into play with this player and maybe you should just stay away from this situation because it puts the player in a tough position, being the son of the associate coach (Keith Acton)?

MacTavish: Well, we signed the kid first before I knew we were going to sign the dad.

Staples: Oh, ok. All right. So I had that (order) wrong?

MacTavish: Yes. We hired the coach and then Dallas had a couple candidates in mind and eventually he wanted Keith, so then we had to manage the difficulty with Keith working with his son. Keith was very sensitive to that.

It’s weird that MacT gets the order wrong here:

58. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Could have been an agreement in place that wasn’t official?

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Could have been an agreement in place that wasn’t official?

True. and whatever the order, though MacT and Staples both make an issue out of it, IMO the same question applies.

It is interesting the way he discusses Musil in the same interchange:

MacTavish: We’ve done that in the past, whether it was Kevin’s son (Keegan, drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes) or (Oilers scout) Frank Musil’s son (David, drafted by the Oilers). Whenever there’s any discussions about your son, you have to leave the room.

Staples: My understanding is you even stayed away from drafting Keegan, even as a possibility.

MacTavish: Yeah.

Staples: But with Frank (an Oilers scout) he wasn’t close enough to the organization?

MacTavish: Yeah, he’s not a decision maker, and we can debate whether that was a good decision or not.

1. the ‘leave the room’ rule is good and interesting.

2. It is interesting and makes sense that they apply rules about these things differently based on whether the dad is in a decision making role or not

3. that last line — and we can debate whether that was a good decision or not — two interpretations:

a) it is debatable whether drafting David was a good idea in light of his dad being with the organization

b) it is debatable whether drafting David was a good idea in light of the player David is and the other options available

60. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: They applied the lessons learned last night, and we know that youth takes time to do things consistently. They LOOKED like a team pulling in one direction (hi Harry!) last night for the first time under Eakins.

I don’t really think there’s a way to obscure its importance. It’s a monster.

Agreed

The kicker for me is that they got the result they wanted. We’ve had other good games this year, but somehow found a way to lose. It’s difficult for the coaching staff to point to those games as positive examples because in the end, they lost..the result just wasn’t there.

Last night’s effort checked off a lot of boxes on Eakins to do list.

He can tuck that result in his back pocket and refer back to it for the rest of this season.

61. VanOil says:

Reading the Staplian tea leaves (in what may be his Magnum Opus) I conclude the following:

Those fucking assistant coaches are Teflon coated in the name of consistency. (Constant Crap)

Curtis Hamilton, if he can walk today, better pack his bags for a trip to the show.

Yakimov is coming but Sleepy is where?

Curtis Lazar will be an Oiler.

MacT really did trade Smid for Brossoit, he feels Quick saved Lindens job (and is probably correct)

62. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s weird that MacT gets the order wrong here:

Conveniently weird, I might add.

Mact’s version sounds better than the apparent reality… Yeah, we hired Keith and then gave his son the 4rth line center job to start the season.

We were short on centers in general with Nuge being on the IR to start, and yeah we made the mistake of hooking up Keith’s son with a job when we should have looked for an NHL centre during the summer.

63. Minister D- says:

“A big winger who can play, a Dustin Penner or a Scott Hartnell, for sure. Oilers haven’t had that player since Billy Guerin.”

Um… what about when the Oilers had Dustin Penner?
    : )

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Yakimov is coming but Sleepy is where?

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Slappy has another year on his KHL contract and they are probably content to let him play there and follow the Tarasenko model and come over the year after.

He had nice things to say about him on return from the WJC and the Oilers press dept. talked up his every move… so he’s definitely on the team’s radar… they just don’t need a skilled winger right now and he won’t play for another couple years anyway. They can wait.

Guys with size are going to get pushed. Centers are going to get pushed.

65. Ryan says:

VanOil:

Curtis Lazar will be an Oiler.

Was it Mc79hockey who first pointed out that it’s a bit of a running joke about the Oilers management that they dramatically overvalue Oil Kings?

Minister D-:

Um… what about when the Oilers had Dustin Penner?
    : )

As an aside, yes, of course, Penner. (lordy)

67. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thank you, Slappy is in a good place then. With the new Euro Draft +4 rules it would seem to me Euro players, especially slow to develop D and Goalies are a better bet than North American players. The only problem is convincing a 22 year old Slappy that if he come over he might have to play in the AHL a year to adjust. I guess one way money would make that easier to swallow.

68. VanOil says:

Minister D-:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Sleepy, Slappy, Swimmy, Slippy, Swanson…..Swanson?

Swanson, Ron Swanson, Nick Offerman is a legend. This is the most punk video ever made.

69. fifthcartel says:

Oh no, a Curtis Lazar mention in the Staples interviews. How long before he is an Oiler?

70. sliderule says:

I guess the tier one fans were not considered in that consultation as it was a sure recipe for losses.

If RK had been told that in the last 15 games we might have had the almost sure thing big center or D in 2013 draft.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Sleepy, Slappy, Swimmy, Slippy, Swanson…..Swanson?

The best part is that he gets the answer… right be redeeming the comedy value of the bit. The bookend of the bit is great too:

Ahhh.. Mr. Samsonite.

72. WeirsBeard says:

I’m always happier about the Oil after hearing MacT speak. Wonderful to have a person with a brain be in charge.

I have thought his experience as a coach would be invaluable as a manager in not bringing a knife to a gunfight. I get the feeling he sees what we see here.

73. Ribs says:

I can’t believe MacTavish got through an entire three part interview without mentioning Lucic once! Points deducted for mentioning Gretzky.

Excellent stuff!

74. danny says:

Historically correct re-enactment of Kevin Lowe being delivered this mornings interview.

75. Ducey says:

Last nights game, best of the season?

How about the Nov 19th 7 – 0 pasting of CLB? Outshot CLB 32 – 14.

76. icecastles says:

sliderule: It sounds like Mact and Eakins agreed on a strategy of hard minutes for Hall Nuge Ebs and Schultz jr.

I’ve been suggesting this for a while and it’s one of the reasons I’m not as down on the season as many. Giving the guys who are supposed to be your future superstars extremely sheltered minutes in their developing years helps inflate their boxcars, but it doesn’t help them become the best they can be. It helps them become… Sam Gagner. Until the core learn the full game and are forced into difficult situations, it is, almost by defenition, impossible for them to be come complete players. This means a temporary step back and a steep learning curve. But I believe it needs to be done, and I’m glad its happening.

The Oilers don’t want to build a team that can make the playoffs but has no legitimate chance of winning the big prize: they are taking their time and trying to develop players and a team that can go all the way.

Andy P:
    Woodguy,

Try deleting your internet cookies. Usually puts you back on the free trial.

Using sandboxie it wipes cookies and doesn’t let anything screw with my registry either.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “So we’re flawed there. Our defence, I’ve said many times, needs to improve. If you want to get me on afew things, Grebeshkov was a failed experiment.”

Ouch. That hits right in the balls.

It’s just not cricket.

He’s in OKC and not the one getting the call up.

I think he knows.

fifthcartel:

A very good thing.

80. rickithebear says:

watching the team under Aekins high pressure system was painful.
    5-15-2
    then they dumped that shit show.

10-12-3

5-2-1 against the east
    2-1 against the top 3 in East Pit; Tampa; Boston

the 10 loses versus west
    5 2 @ ANA 1 @SJS 2 STL home and last 10 42-1-6 the league averages 0 wins.
    so 5 loses we are equal to the league.

the other 5 in west.
    CHI; @VCR; @ COL; @LA; PHX
    we should have achieved 2 points.
    oh ell 2 point s behind league average in those 10 games.
    10 losse in 10 and only 2 points behind the league average,

the other games against the East and bottom 9 in the west
    10-2-3 23 of a posible 30.

we are not big enough or old enough to compete with the top 5 in west.
    pitlick 6’2″ 190
    Hamilton 6’2″ 210lb
    Moroz 6’3″ 215lb
    Khaira 6’3″ 215lb
    Yakimov 6’4″ 220lb
    Slepyshev 6’2″ 190lb
    Hok 6’1″ 190
    Chase 6’0″ 205lb
    In the system.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Woodguy,

Read this part very carefully… very carefully:

So you’re saying that he traded Ladi for the Franchise Savior Brossoit?

82. fifthcartel says:

Kinda unrelated news -

Grigorenko sent back to juniors, refuses to report.

83. Melman says:

Of note: there was a play about midway through the 3rd prior to Yak’s skate around in the Pitt zone where he was in perfect position in the neutral zone, intercepted a Pitt pass and they turned that into a OZ opportunity. Huge play by the young Russian – the right D position/play creating offence. A tap of the stick to the coaches, it looks like they have got Yak going in the right direction.

84. Derek says:

Woodguy: Based on all the reviews from non-Edmonton people on Lazar, getting him would be a good thing.

A very good thing.

…and extremely expensive? I don’t understand why Ottawa would move Lazar at this point.

That Staples interview was fantastic. Mactavish basically opened up as much as someone in his position could without throwing anyone (Grebeshkov aside) under the bus. Yet if you glance around the interweb at the usual places you will see it getting ripped to pieces with emotion driven rants, allegations of lying and arrogance, cronyism etc.

If you spend that much time and energy hating someone you’ve never met over something that is supposed to entertain you, you should probably find a new hobby.

Sports fanatics indeed.

85. Bos8 says:

icecastles: are

Agreed. You can’t shelter the whole bloody team. For another, the D is wiped out by Christmas.

I fail to see the reason for the angst. Half the team introducing themselves and the G on walkabout for the first 20 games. Since then a reasonable record, commensurate with the talent level.

Geez, guys. The Edmonton Journal paywall is trivial to get around. The Journal paywall is a stick the goaltender leaves lying across the goal line when he leaves for the extra attacker.

This is true for about 90% of media paywalls.

87. Derek says:

Also of note, in the first 10-15 games of the season when they used Dallas Eakins initial approach to the game the corgis and scoring chances were enamoured with the Oilers, PDO on the other hand was not.

Unfortunately the point at which the team save % started to trend upwards from historically bad to just bad coincided with a change of coaching philosophy as well as the shift from eastern conference to western conference competition.

I don’t buy that switching from the swarm to a more conventional defensive structure resulted in fewer 5 star chances against allowing team save % to rise. Not with the number of “seeing eye” shots that went through Dubynk to start the year.

88. Showerhead says:

Completely agree. I’m working on a nickname for RNH based on his brain and his wheels- right now I call him Baldwin because when he’s covering his check, he’s Always (#&&$ing) Closing.

89. Bos8 says:

Derek: …and extremely expensive?I don’t understand why Ottawa would move Lazar at this point.

That Staples interview was fantastic.Mactavish basically opened up as much as someone in his position could without throwing anyone (Grebeshkov aside) under the bus.Yet if you glance around the interweb at the usual places you will see it getting ripped to pieces with emotion driven rants, allegations of lying and arrogance, cronyism etc.

Sports fanatics indeed.

To misqoute Nicholson

“They can’t handle the truth.”

fifthcartel:
    Kinda unrelated news -

Grigorenko sent back to juniors, refuses to report.

Well crap. And here we go with the ‘bad Russian’ stupidity. Damn.

91. Bos8 says:

Grigorenko

What an opportunity for some team, maybe even the Oilers. Do a creative trade based on future results. It’s high risk, but the possible payoff.

92. thejonrmcleod says:

I saw the following joke on Twitter yesterday:

What do you call a group of Russian hockey players? An enigma.

93. bookje says:

Woodguy: He’s in OKC and not the one getting the call up.

I think he knows.

Good thing MacT does. Tambellini would have kept the faith for 2-3 years.

94. Bos8 says:

To whom this may apply; Worth a chuckle.

· “He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts… for support rather than illumination.” – Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

95. bookje says:

Lowetide: Look, I have a bewildering sense of things. I don’t question it, just roll with the flow. I’d like to change the original, in fact it behooves me to do so, but alas the ‘sense of things’ does not allow it.

As an aside, yes, of course, Penner. (lordy)

I thought it had a certain brilliance to it.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: He’s in OKC and not the one getting the call up.

I think he knows.

Woodguy: So you’re saying that he traded Ladi for the Franchise Savior Brossoit?

It’s entirely possible MacT is thinking along those lines.

What I had in mind however, was this:

Boat anchor contract on a slightly above average tender, who has the reputation that leads to GMs on other teams making statements like MacT’s. A contract that has no NTC/NMC. A team that has solid options in the offing:

And a team (LAK) that has one damn smart GM. Another team that has a rookie GM, who’s spent the last year trying desperately to upgrade the G spot, who’s just now written a hagiography on the first team’s tender.

Add that up… and the Kings pick Draisaitl to be mentored by Kopitar and we get Quick.

97. fifthcartel says:

Hasn’t Quick been pretty average since the 11-12 season? .902 last season seems Pavelec-like, and this season doesn’t seem that spectacular either.

I could see MacT doing that easily though.

98. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Derek: Yet if you glance around the interweb at the usual places you will see it getting ripped to pieces with emotion driven rants, allegations of lying and arrogance, cronyism etc.

Can you point to some of these rants… I like to read the odd screed.

99. Derek says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Of course. This is one of those, everyone knows, but you don’t need to say it in public and with such vigor moments.

It’s entirely possible MacT is thinking along those lines.

What I had in mind however, was this:

If they really do have a team of statisticians on staff one would hope they would be screaming against this sort of move.

It really is amazing how some things play out in the hockey world based on reputation and group think.

100. bill needle says:

This thread’s fascinating just for all the paywall discussion.
    The excitement surrounding the Oilers all of a sudden? Not so much. Playing one good game out of four and barely beating a Penguins team at the end of a long road trip using their backup netminder just shows that the Hubble telescope is needed to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

101. Derek says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Can you point to some of these rants… I like to read the odd screed.

I’m not sure its fair to do this to you, I don’t even know why I went looking for myself in the first place, but here you go:

The Oilers Nation follow up if they decide to piggy back some of the Cults work, should be a good read as well.

102. hoser313 says:

Great article by Staples. Possibly his best. Why would I read the MSM print stuff when there’s consistently better quality stuff on here and at COH. I would bet this is happening in other cities as well. On a similar note, I fast forward most of the commentators on TV if it’s not Friedman, Mckenzie or Maurice. Sometimes I’ll listen to Ferraro or Shannon.

103. gogliano says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Very hard to see them touching 6 or 7. Winnipeg is currently in the 6 slot with an 8 point lead and a game in hand. A lot of those teams in the East play each other as well so someone will be getting points. This team is better than the Flames and has a nice lead on Buffalo, but after that it is all Eastern teams with a nice point and games played gap. One or two might falter but the Oilers are too far back to pass many teams. My guess is they slot in at 28th or 27th by year’s end.

See, e.g., the more pessimistic 50/50 method gives us a 89% shot at finishing in the bottom 5:

Weighted method has us at 97% shot for the bottom 5, and 93% for the bottom 4:

But regardless I hope they start winning some games and pick about #3.

104. Derek says:

bill needle:
    This thread’s fascinating just for all the paywall discussion.

The Edmonton Oilers went 50-50 fenwick close against the best team in the eastern conference riding a goaltender who had won 7 straight. For comparisons sake, Pittsburgh will be playing tired on the second half of a back to back against Calgary tonight.

These small victories need to be cherished and remembered for the next time our beloved team faces off against California, Chicago, or St. Louis.

sliderule:

Krueger was doing it last year.

If they go with the lines of last night (Gagner instead of Eberle), then Arco and Eberle are going to get soft minutes to try to kill it. The strategy will work if Hall and Nuge can handle the vaunt with the a ball-and-chain Gagner against good western teams.

Hall is always going to attract the best players on the opposition so you have to give him Nugent-Hopkins or Gordon, or Hall doesn’t have a chance.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:

You’re right. I was probably being generous with “slightly above average” he may even be below average.

———–
    ps. does anyone know where to get 5×5 sv% across seasons? the adv. stats sites don’t seem to do goalies very well (that I can find at any rate).

107. Jordan says:

Woodguy:

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

Gagner, Klefbom and a second should get half of that first pairing done, no?

If we can make that kind of move, is there another d-man who can be bought in FA to complement that top pairing?

108. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: who’s just now written a hagiography on the first team’s tender

I love that when I see the word “hagiography”, I don’t even have to scroll back up the page to see it’s Rom posting. You do love that word. (it’s a good word)

109. VanOil says:

fifthcartel:
    Kinda unrelated news -

Grigorenko sent back to juniors, refuses to report.

Wow this make Tambo and Lowe look like geniuses.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gogliano: Very hard to see them touching 6 or 7.Winnipeg is currently in the 6 slot with an 8 point lead and a game in hand.A lot of those teams in the East play each other as well so someone will be getting points.This team is better than the Flames and has a nice lead on Buffalo, but after that it is all Eastern teams with a nice point and games played gap.One or two might falter but the Oilers are too far back to pass many teams.My guess is they slot in at 28th or 27th by year’s end.

Weighted method has us at 97% shot for the bottom 5, and 93% for the bottom 4:

But regardless I hope they start winning some games and pick about #3.

Hmmm… thanks for the sober second thought. maybe 3-5 is a more likely range.

I’ve roughly had 4th picked out forever: I see us beating out BUF, Cal and FLA, but we may slip under FLA. At any rate, in the area where a really good player will be available.

111. PunjabiOil says:

Good series by Staples.

To bypass the Edmonton Journal subscription – just open the articles from the Edmonton Journal twitter page.

MacT certainly seems a guy who understands the team, the holes, and how he’ll get there. Inspires confidence that Steve Tambellni never did.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Wow this make Tambo and Lowe look like geniuses.

The blindside here is really problematic. They should have worked out some kind of plan with the player before this came to a head like this.

This move makes a lot of sense though. You have to get the player on side however.

They never should have brought him up last season. But Regier is the same guy that had all of Myers, Pysyk, Ristolainen and Zadorov in the line up to start the season… I mean… come on!!!

Murray should help a lot.

113. striatic says:

ASkoreyko: It blocks or obscures your IP address so the Journal does not know if its a unique login or not.

that is not how it works, and it is super important people don’t think that’s how it works.

private mode does NOT block your IP. you are still very much identifiable via your IP address while in incognito/private browsing mode.

fortunately paywall sites don’t use IP tracking, they use cookies.

what private mode does is disable a cookie that the website puts on your machine and increments once each time you read an article.

clearing cookies works also, although it can lead to inconveniences when persisting session to session logins using other sites, along with some other potential issues. private mode acts basically like a temporary cookie clear, plus it pauses permanent history logging, but that is about all it does.

114. Derek says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Hmmm… thanks for the sober second thought. maybe 3-5 is a more likely range.

I feel FLA is suffering from extremely poor luck much like Edmonton was to start the season. FLA is a much better team than the standings indicate and I can’t see them still at the bottom when this all plays out. NYI will continue to drop, and barring any changes TOR is going to sink like a stone.

115. icecastles says:

IIRC, the ‘attitude’ issue has been a major red flag on Grigorenko raised by scouts for some time. It was more related to work ethic, but it does speak to some possible personality issues of entitlement or whatehaveyou.

A sample from Redline Report in his draft year:

“As talented as Grigorenko is, he simply does not work hard AT ALL when he doesn’t have the puck, even at crucial moments in a game. One shift he had about four minutes left to go in a game his team was only losing by one goal perfectly illustrated the point. After attempting an individualistic play, Grigorenko lost the puck behind the net in the attacking zone, it squirted free to a defenseman about two feet to his right, and he just stood there watching as the defender skated the puck out of trouble without even a hint of trying to track him down or even put mild pressure on him. It would have been a real eye-opener for us – if we hadn’t been seeing the exact same thing from him for three years now.”

116. Pouzar says:

Jordan: Byfuglien woud do a lot to add what we need on a top D pairing, and should only cost us an NHL forward, a D prospect, and a draft pick.

Gagner, Klefbom and a second should get half of that first pairing done, no?

If Byfuglien is on our #1 pairing out there against the best competition we are certifiably f^cked.
    The guy is pure offense and needs soft minutes and PP time to be useful.

117. striatic says:

btw, if you do really want to spoof your IP address there are ways to do that but private browsing mode is not one of them.

Buffalo has Myers, Pysyk, and Ristolainen as RD. Ekblad is a RD.

Plus Zadorov and Ehrhoff.

If they are really high on Ekblad, maybe Pysyk can be brought “home” in a deal.

But all those D, might have Buffalo leaning Reinhart.

Burke had a hard on for Pronger. So even if he might need a centre more, I can’t see Burke not taking Ekblad.

I think the Oilers probably pick #5 at worst. Buffalo, Calgary, Florida, and Winnipeg are pretty much the only teams I think they can pass. And Winnipeg is a long shot.

But a future 2nd line centre or a draft day day for immediate help with the pick are higher probabilities than Ekblad, unfortunately or fortunately depending on one’s point of view.

119. Colieo87 says:

MacTavish: Yes. Absolutely. I mean, I believe that. We’ve got more resources invested in development than any other team in the NHL

Ok really Mac T, let recall how old the oil Barrons are? 4-5 years we didn’t have our own ahl team under the EGI regime, I’ll have to say though glad we do now. But our development isn’t better then other teams Detroit is maybe someone you guys should look into.

Colieo87:

Ok really Mac T,let recall how old the oil Barrons are?4-5 years we didn’t have our own ahl team under the EGI regime,I’ll have to say though glad we do now.But our development isn’t better then other teams Detroit is maybe someone you guys should look into.

I’ll have a lash at this one. It’s free time to shoot at Tambellini, but for me he did some very good things in the minor league department. The Barons have produced players—maybe not the ones we wanted or thought but that’s true for any team—and once of them is Martin Marincin.

It takes time to develop a minor league system from zero. The Oilers have done that under Katz, and that has value.

121. Derek says:

Dustin Byfuglien is the third best possession player on his team of (1st for D):

With the worst PDO on the team:

Playing the best the other team has to offer:

He’s the Anti-Phaneuf at this point. Byfuglien right now is a tremendously undervalued asset.

122. Derek says:

Derek:
    Dustin Byfuglien is the third best possession player on his team of(1st for D):

With the worst PDO on the team:

Playing the best the other team has to offer:

He’s the Anti-Phaneuf at this point.Byfuglien right now is a tremendously undervalued asset.

If you allow for fewer games played (50%), Byfuglien is still top 5 on the Jets in CF% and still dead last in PDO. Terrible, dumb, shitty luck is making Byfuglien really bad by eye, and counting numbers. Meanwhile he does all the heavy lifting on the Jets blue and comes out ahead where possession metrics are concerned.

123. Derek says:

Whew, big day in the comments section. I’m going to go outside and try real life now. :)

124. David says:

I think it’s obvious if Ekblad is available MacTavish is taking him. But I can’t see the Flames passing on him so we’d have to pick before them. I’m really liking Sam Bennett but he’s another 6’0 170lbs player. If we climb out of the basement a bit I would trade a 5-7 overall pick for Curtis Lazar.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Colieo87:

To add to LT’s comment.. MacT said something pretty specific: “We’ve got more resources invested in development than any other team in the NHL”

That doesn’t mean:

a) we have the best prospects in the NHL

b) we have the best record of development in the NHL

c) we have the best development system in the NHL

basically, he could mean anything from “we’ve installed state of the art showers” to “we’ve got everyone eating a very expensive gluten-free diet”…

But, he probably means they’ve taken steps to work towards C, in the hopes that one day A and B don’t seem so far-fetched.

Colieo87:

This is NOT true. The EGI regime bought an AHL franchise. That same EIG-purchased franchise is now in OKC. The franchise wasn’t operated from the year after the 2005 lockout till OKC.

In the year after the first lockout, the EIG/Lowe didn’t have enough time to find a new location, so they loaned out their players to two AHL teams. The following year, they still hadn’t found a location for their franchise, so their signed an affiliation agreement with Springfield, and put Prendergast in charge.

One of the good things Tambellini did was fix the minor league system, and hiring extremely good people in OKC.

127. icecastles says:

Colieo87: MacTavish: “…We’ve got more resources invested in development than any other team in the NHL”

Colieo87: “…our development isn’t better then other teams…”

You do realize you’re rebutting something MacTavish never said, right?

Stating you have more resources invested in a system is not even close to synonymous stating the system is better. One hopefully leads to the other in time, but don’t change someone’s words then proceed to criticize them for the content of the misquote.

Technically, I think Katz has sold the AHL franchise to OKC interests, and may now only have an affiliation agreement with them. Which may have been part of getting the OKC location.

129. David S says:

Woodguy:
    Bah! Staples article is behind a paywall.

Not sure if I want to give the Journal $0.99

Also,

Agreed about last nights game.

Really brings home that improving the D is key to improving the team.

If:

Ference-Petry
    Marinicn-J.Shultz

To get 1LD and 1RD will cost at least one forward to get one of them.

We wait.

Shift-Command-P

That’ll put you into private browsing in Firefox. Then you can go over to the Journal site and get access to Staples’ series.

130. bookje says:

David S: Shift-Command-P

131. Jordan says:

Derek:
    Dustin Byfuglien is the third best possession player on his team of(1st for D):

With the worst PDO on the team:

Playing the best the other team has to offer:

If the Oilers end up trading for Big buf, I really hope Bruce will consider buying you a nice bottle of something Derek. These are the kinds of smart analytics that I would expect the new analytics department the oilers employ to be presenting to management and saying “This guy’s great and having terrible puck luck – go get him now before his luck changes and he looks like a world beater again!” You’ve essentially done the work for him.

I’d like to say I did the work first and didn’t post it, but the truth is I just saw him good, and like the package he brings. Hell – if any of the rumours I’ve heard about drugs and the Oilers are true,he could be the perfect addition! =P

bookje: What’s the over/under on how many people will respond to Woodguy’s Journal problem prior to reading the comments and seeing it addressed many times?

133. David S says:

bookje,

At least he’ll have a single comment telling him HOW to do it in the off case he doesn’t know.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje,

Peel an avocado. Mash it into your USB port (be careful not to get any near the headphone jack!). Works every time.

135. ASkoreyko says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    bookje,

Amazing, is it Mac compatible?

136. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    bookje,

That’s a short term fix, usually when you have any problem with a computer, the problem is ventilation. Get your drill out and drill a bunch of ventilation holes into it. That fixes everything.

137. VanOil says:

Lowetide: I don’t know, but it shows a willingness to help. Hey guys, my liquor cabinet is empty…..

Lush

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ASkoreyko: Amazing, is it Mac compatible?

All stone fruits are Mac compatible these days.

Remember the days when you had to get a Plum Adapter and then struggle to find one on Ebay after the protective cover wore off? Good times! You can’t even find those things anymore:

bookje: That’s a short term fix, usually when you have any problem with a computer, the problem is ventilation.Get your drill out and drill a bunch of ventilation holes into it.That fixes everything.

That’s a really good point.

I’ve also found that most computer problems are related to night terrors. Unfortunately, only Aquatic Immersion Therapy (AIP) works in those cases. Always put your computer in water at night. I know it’s a pain, but the long term payoff for you and your computer is really worth the minimal time and effort involved.

139. gcw_rocks says:

Just finished reading the Staples interviews of MacT. What a load of crap. “When I talk to others about are team they are very bullish on the future of the Oilers”.

Who is he talking to? His mother?

Nice try on trying to distance himself from Lowe. Of he thinks anyone offs going to believe that he is completely delusional.

140. tubes says:

Might as well add my $0.02 since I was at the game in the row 9 near the ringette line seats that I am fortunate enough to sit in every couple years. Opposition end for the 1st, 3rd &, OT.

1) Watching the warmups live is unbelievable. The Penguins were more focused on a team structured style while the Oilers stick handled and passed between a partner or two. Watching the things that JSchultz and Hall could do was just remarkable.

3) Arco is a stud and one of the hardest back checkers on the team.

4) When Crosby and Malkin are on the ice together they completely dominate. Or it at least seemed that way.

5) They played a bit of a trap! Did anyone else notice this? I believe it was noticeable in the third with RNH forechecking and the other four hanging back in the neutral zone.

6) Good line matching by Eakins. Arco/Yak/Ebs seemed to get the second easiest minutes besides the fourth line.

141. Romulus Apotheosis says:

tubes: 2) Why didn’t Petry at least punch/stick/throw Malkin after the Dubynk incident? He went up and HUGGED HIM. It was mind blowing. We shortly forgot about that after as we got a PP out of it, but boy did it piss us and the fans near us off.

I think you answered your own question.

VanOil: Lush

Guilty your honor! (hiccup)

143. Ribs says:

“Speed Holes” as Homer would call them! http://media.screened.com/uploads/1/15932/468055-speedholes_super.jpg

144. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    It’s weird that MacT gets the order wrong here:

When you are shoveling that much crap, sometimes it’s hard to keep the lies straight.

145. icecastles says:

gcw_rocks,

These publication dates are only days apart. the framework to bring in Acton Junior could have been in place well before this, and not announced until the deal was signed. When dealing with rights from another team, player agents, etc, player contracts can be much slower to finalize than coach/support staff contracts.

It’s entirely possible MacT is thinking along those lines.

What I had in mind however, was this:

I’ve been calling MacT trading for Quick for weeks.

Seriously.

Great minds and all.

I thought when I started quoting from the articles 4 minutes later that people would have figured out that I was reading them somehow.

Still nice that people try to help.