PENGUINS AT OILERS, G47 13-14

STAN BOWMAN, CHICAGO:I don’t think there’s a shortcut to success. I think you have to go through some painful periods, and then it’s critical to make the right decisions at that point, but I think you have to have the patience to stick with your plan. In Chicago, we lost a lot of favor with our fan base, and so at that point, we almost figured, ‘Let’s do this the way we think is right, because we’ve already upset a lot of people. Let’s do what we think is right, which is to build it over time so that we can sustain it over time’.”

I think Craig MacTavish may have reached the Bowman conclusion. I’m not certain of course, but there are some clues.

• MacT: “Ekblad is a very mature guy. He’s an NHL passer. He’s a thinker. At 6-foot-3, he has NHL size. There wasn’t a lot not to like. He’s a right shot. Nurse is a left.”
  • More MacT: “When you’re drafting in the top seven picks, you can’t pass up those opportunities. You can’t pass them up unless it makes sense and nothing we were offered last year made sense.”
  • More More MacT: “Certainly we’ll be in a position of listening, but when you are drafting that high, it’s tough to pass on skill and youth like that. We’re certainly scouting like we’re going to be picking.”

Article is here. Home run, Jones.

GETTING A G, D OR C FOR GAGNER

gagner111

How many players do the Oilers need to make the playoffs? If they added Martin Hanzal, Kris Letang and Ben Bishop would that be enough? What if we threw Nikolai Kulemin and Brendan Dillon into the mix?

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Hanzal-Perron-Hemsky
  • Gordon-Kulemin-Yakupov
  • Dillon-Letang
  • Ference-Petry
  • Marincin-J Schultz
  • Bishop

Is that enough? Oilers can’t do that of course, but they can make a list of what is needed and cross off as many from the list as possible. The bullets for MacT next summer will be:

1. About $25 million in free agent dollars (Hemsky, Petry, Schultz)
  2. 1st round selection
  3. various prospects (Klefbom, etc)

If the Oilers choose to keep the pick, they’re going to have to trade someone from the roster above. If they can get a D or C for Gagner, that gets the ball rolling. Signing Hemsky would help next season’s depth chart a lot. There’s so much work to do, starting now is probably a good idea.

And I do think callups for Anton Lander, Taylor Fedun and Roman Horak make sense when the deals begin, with Martin Gernat, Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Pitlick also possible for cups of coffee before season’s end.

Final question: can the Oilers get a useful piece for Gagner? A long term item? I think they can, but suspect he’ll be a less than ideal item at the point of purchase. Entry-level defenseman, the same age as Klefbom or Marincin but possibly with more NHL GP. Getting 100 cents on the dollar for Gagner is going to be difficult for Craig MacTavish.

Utica vs. OKC Barons, Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK. 1-9-14

I think Anton Lander has from now until the end of the season to show what he has, and after that who knows? Remember last year when Craig MacTavish called up Teemu Hartikainen for a look? And he couldn’t put the puck in the ocean? I think Lander is second verse, same as the first. I like Lander as a prospect, and do hope he delivers something, anything offensively, but if you’re Edmonton and projecting next season’s centers, is Lander an option behind Nuge-Gordon? Is he more or less promising to them than Roman Horak (a player MacT acquired)?

It isn’t a strong position for Lander. Godspeed, young man. Make that next callup count. By the way, he is 1-4-5 in his last two AHL games. I believe there’s a player here.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

bennyandjoon

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. Talking Olympic team, Leafs fall, sports television wars.
  • Mark Pavelich from MFC. MFC 39 goes next Friday night in Edmonton, we’ll talk about it and Mark’s connection to hockey.
  • Jeff Chapman from Copper and Blue. The Oilers against the force tonight,  climax may be the anthem.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings pbp man for TSN 1260. Trade deadline, it’s already been a major event.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter, Sportcology. We’ll talk Olympics and teams under pressure.

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Tweets to @Lowetide_ and it’ll be fun!

395 Responses to "PENGUINS AT OILERS, G47 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Halfwise says:

Oops Arco

2. cabbiesmacker says:

Does that goal get Pittsburgh into the Gagner sweepstakes?

3. G Money says:

That Petry play was a microcosm of what ails the Oilers.

A retreat when a forward play was needed.
    A soft play when a hard play was needed.
    Pretty stickhandling when a direct play was needed.
    A dumb play when a smart play was needed.

All wrapped in one glorious ball of suck.

4. spoiler says:

It would make me real happy if Yakupov could Smirnoff a puck right past Zatkoff.

LostBoy: LostBoy says:
    January 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

It’s just…amazing how this team sags when they get behind.

In Soviet Russia, it’s the behinds that sag!

5. Derek says:

Nail Yakupov looks like a hockey player again, praise Weir.

6. RexLibris says:

Does five Oilers inside their own crease (goaltender not included) constitute a “swarm” defense?

7. jp says:

My wife is enjoying the “tots” playing hockey out there. :)

8. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    It would make me real happy if Yakupov could Smirnoff a puck right *through* Zatkoff.

In Soviet Russia, it’s the behinds that sag!

Took a stab at fixing that for you.

9. Ryan says:

jp:
    Gagner. Backchecking. Scoring.

Gagner ends Crosby’s scoring drought against the Oilers.

10. fuzzy muppet says:

RexLibris,

I’m not sure I’ve seen that before.

11. Halfwise says:

A bit of puck luck would turn this game around. PIT is mortal, Oilers aren’t dead yet.

12. G Money says:

Or maybe Gagner finally backchecks and causes an own goal.

Or maybe Arco falling over instead of getting a shot away in prime shooting territory.

Or maybe just the Oilers playing the Pens even up through the first 20 minutes and being down 2 goals before the 30 min mark.

EDIT: I suppose I should add that the first goal was caused directly by a series of stupid plays by the best overall defender the Oilers have. And the second one initiated by a really dumb pinch from the guy the Oilers are counting on to be their best defensive defenseman.

Yes, this game is truly the Oilers season all wrapped up in one beauty package.

13. Ryan says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Does that goal get Pittsburgh into the Gagner sweepstakes?

dude I respect you. You were among the bright and best then joined the dark side with myself and other bitter Lowetide commentators.

14. Pouzar says:

Ryan: Gagner ends Crosby’s scoring drought against the Oilers.

Poor bastard thinks he’s been traded already

15. Ryan says:

G Money:
    Or maybe Gagner finally backchecks and causes an own goal.

Yes, this game is truly the Oilers season all wrapped up in one beauty package.

With respect, you’re new to the party dude.

16. fuzzy muppet says:

They know they need to hit the net right?

17. spoiler says:

Well at least Gordon can gin one on the net.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bortuzzo should have to change his name to Bortberger or simply Bort

19. Ryan says:

Pouzar: Poor bastard thinks he’s been traded already

Crosby might appreciate the effort.

20. Pouzar says:

Yak and Ebs look like they’ve been playin together for years…but Ebs still hates him.

21. Ryan says:

all we need now is the hat trick from hall.

22. G Money says:

Ryan: With respect, you’re new to the party dude.

If you think that, you’re late to this party. I’m part of the card-carrying “Oilers won’t make the playoffs” set since before the season started.

The party doesn’t start until I start bitching about the bias in refereeing when American teams play Canadian teams (any Canadian team, not just the Oilers). Anyone notice that yet? :-)

23. Eastern Oil says:

I have not watched him all game as I keep getting distracted but this might be one of Belov’s most active games. He seems a little faster (for him anyways) but is certainly more aggressively physically. He is playing an active, but simple game, and taking the body without trying to put the guy through the glass. More of this please.

24. jake70 says:

G Money: If you think that, you’re late to this party.I’m part of the card-carrying “Oilers won’t make the playoffs” set since before the season started.

The party doesn’t start until I start bitching about the bias in refereeing when American teams play Canadian teams (any Canadian team, not just the Oilers).Anyone notice that yet?

25. spoiler says:

G Money: The party doesn’t start until I start bitching about the bias in refereeing when American teams play Canadian teams (any Canadian team, not just the Oilers). Anyone notice that yet?

jake70: No pp against ST Louis, first PP against Phoenix was in OT….you might be on to something.

This could easily be framed as good teams get more calls/leniency from the refs than the bad teams. And since more of the good teams are American…

26. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    steveb12344,

I am confident that this is exactly what Bookie meant.

I wasn’t thinking of the new building. I just think MacT understood that it was not a 1 year fix. That is why he changed coaches and sent Horcoff out. Longer term planning.

27. Halfwise says:

Duby!

28. spoiler says:

Doobie blazes a right hand in on Malkin. Should have been a leftie to hold the metaphor.

I like that from Dubnyk. I’m a little surprised he didn’t pull out a power saw after the season he’s had.

30. VanOil says:

bookje: I wasn’t thinking of the new building. I just think MacT understood that it was not a 1 year fix.That is why he changed coaches and sent Horcoff out.Longer term planning.

Don’t change your mind now. You were on a role.

31. RexLibris says:

32. G Money says:

spoiler:
    This could easily be framed as good teams get more calls/leniency from the refs than the bad teams.And since more of the good teams are American…

Except I first started my theory when I watched games down in Denver (where HQ was and I spent 25 weeks a year there) and San Jose (where my siblings live and I got a few games there) and Phoenix (where we have a timeshare). I watched a combo of American-American, American-Canadian, and American-Oilers games. I was flabbergasted at how different the refereeing was. It had *nothing* to do with the goodness of the teams – even when the Cdn team was clearly better, the bias was distinct and noticeable.

When I first saw it, I just assumed it was my Oilers bias. But then I noticed it even when it was a team I hate more than anything else in life, like the Flames and ‘Nucks.

US vs US? Canada vs Canada? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. US vs Canada? Oh boy.

RexLibris: To notice it, do I have to open my eyes and watch the game? ‘Cause I’d rather not.

Sometimes it’s so bad, you don’t even have to watch the game to see it…

33. Pouzar says:

Got his blocker on something for once

34. RexLibris says:

Fight from Dubnyk? Shame Milbury isn’t still a GM, he’d give is a 1st overall for him.

35. spoiler says:

G Money: That Gagner penalty was a perfect example. *Should* have been a Crosby holding-the-stick. If it was the other way, 99% of the time it would have been…

Exactly my point.

36. Ryan says:

Yeah, I’m just razzing you for being a Lowetide Newb–relatively speaking.

I’ve been here since ’09 under various handles.

37. VanOil says:

The Corgis are in the building tonight but are crapping all over the ice and pissing in the nets and it is not even Dubnyks or Gagners fault. The Gords are just messing with us.

38. RexLibris says:

G Money: Except I first started my theory when I watched games down in Denver (where HQ was and I spent 25 weeks a year there) and San Jose (where my siblings live and I got a few games there) and Phoenix (where we have a timeshare). I watched a combo of American-American, American-Canadian, and American-Oilers games.I was flabbergasted at how different the refereeing was.It had *nothing* to do with the goodness of the teams – even when the Cdn team was clearly better, the bias was distinct and noticeable.But US vs US?Canada vs Canada? Nothing.Nada. Zilch.US vs Canada? Oh boy.

That Gagner penalty was a perfect example.*Should* have been a Crosby holding-the-stick.If it was the other way, 99% of the time it would have been…

Sometimes it’s so bad, you don’t even have to watch the game to see it…

Yeah, I’m actually sitting so that the tv is facing away from me and I have it on mute.

Almost like a Schroedinger experiment with the Oilers game. If I refuse to check the score then they have neither won nor lost but exist in both states simultaneously.

39. Ryan says:

My old handles… “hockey_noob” “ryan from the Oilers”

lol…

I used to pull the math then I realized it’s not worth the time until this team stops sucking.

40. Ryan says:

This team is in dire need of some real dmen. Mact….. this is on you.

Maurice with a great, great job of looking at that second goal. Really solid, identifies the mistakes (Ference, Gagner, Hall)

42. hags9k says:

spoiler,

Headlines from his junior days….Doobie, Blazers end road trip on high note.

Give em hell boys, dig down and rally this period. For the love of Gord. Play some inspired hockey. Once.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Assistant to the Associate Coach?

44. RexLibris says:

Well, I could watch this game all night, but I’ve really gotta go alphabetize the cutlery, sooooo…

Best of luck to ya’ll!

Before I go, I leave you all with this http://imgur.com/gallery/2rymn9q

45. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

Best of luck to ya’ll!

Before I go, I leave you all with this http://imgur.com/gallery/2rymn9q

lol.

and btw.. Why didn’t we hire Paul Maurice?

46. Ryan says:

Let’s hire him as Eakins assistant slash replacement.

47. G Money says:

Was about to type the same thing and wisely decided to refresh in case someone else already had. Easy blame is Gagner (as has become usual). Real culprits were Taylor Hall and then Ference, leaving Gagner to try and clean up the mess – which of course, he couldn’t.

Boy that kind of analysis would be an awfully nice thing to have behind the Oilers right now instead of the Smithian grunts and Buckian gurgles.

Eh, MacT? Whaddaya think? Eh? MacT?

*crickets*

Ryan: Yeah, I’m just razzing you for being a Lowetide Newb–relatively speaking.

I’ve been here since ’09 under various handles.

Damn you and your ancient ways! Actually I’ve been here since ’09 too if you count lurking. AND my first email account was in 1982 running on a mail program that a buddy of mine wrote for the old MTS (Michigan Terminal System) at the U of Eh. And just for fun, I did actually write code on punch cards, although they’d phased those out before I finished my undergrad. TOP THAT, internet newbies!

48. Eastern Oil says:

I definitely have to agree and would also say that this is perhaps one of the best intermission segments I have seen in awhile. Paul Maurice is a fantastic analyst and has a great hockey mind. I have seen Keith Jones very little as I try to stay away from anything with Pierre Maguire and Milbury, but I have always enjoyed his commentary as well.

And finally, to hear Dreger talking about Hemsky like that, man… that was music to my ears. Finally someone in the mainstream media, especially outside Edmonton, is appreciative of Ales’ body of work.

Unfortunately, and I am cringing just typing it, does this mean interest in him as a rental is being piqued across the league? I would hate to see him go.

49. Rebilled says:

For those Byfuglian fans, the Jets moved him to forward today.

If Dubnyk starts the 3rd with a power saw, this game is in the can.

50. VanOil says:

Best game Nuge has played in a while. I can’t wait until that kid can shave.

51. jp says:

How many u’s in Nuuuuge?

52. Rebilled says:

HOPPER!

53. Halfwise says:

Yep. Nuge!

54. spoiler says:

Nuge wango tangoes into the slot from the top of the circle and it’s Zat scratch fever all of a sudden. No stranglehold on the game yet though.

55. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s a shitty call

56. VanOil says:

2 minutes for being tall

57. Rebilled says:

ZEBRAS!

58. Halfwise says:

So having a stick = hooking? Right.

59. spoiler says:

Marincin to the ref: ” You make me very very angry!”

60. jp says:

Nice icing call. Wow. Are the refs watching?

Edit: Pens announcers think “maybe the Oilers thought they would have got there”.

61. spoiler says:

I don’t think “prone position” means what Cuthbert thinks it means.

62. Gerta Rauss says:

We’re still in this thing-we’ve had our rough patches and some fugly..but we’re still in this.

63. jp says:

Liking that pinch by Marincin. He may not see OKC again.

This is possibly the most encouraging game all season. Seriously. They’ve made mistakes and it’s cost them, but the Oilers appear to be improving in very specific areas that have to do with hard work, positioning and paying attention.

65. Pouzar says:

passing off the rush is non-existent in Yaks game.

66. LostBoy says:

Okay, I don’t subscribe to conspiracy theories, but why did that have to be an offside? Eberle watched Yakupov carry the puck, all the way, and just cruised in ahead on RW. Did he want the puck?

67. spoiler says:

I don’t like the line Hall took there. Sliding to the outside means he has to pass.

68. VanOil says:

Marincin can poke check from the next post code.

69. G Money says:

Yak! Shoot more! Shoot sooner!!!

70. spoiler says:

YEAAAAHHHH BAAAAAABBBBBBYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. VanOil says:

They deserved that. I ask again who is that team in Blue and Orange.

72. jp says:

Hey. This looks like a hockey team. Huh.

73. spoiler says:

I never seem to hear Crosby’s name till the game is in question.

74. Halfwise says:

Hall! Cool hands.

75. Rebilled says:

I just scared the shit out of my dogs that goal with all the yelling and that.

76. Pouzar says:

Sweet outlet there by MM

77. spoiler says:

jp: Hey. This looks like a hockey team. Huh.

Can’t be. The “team”, to use your word, was ruined by the coach and the POHO.

;-)

78. Kitchener says:

Here’s hoping Yak scores on a play with a huge wind-up, at least 35 feet out of position when the play starts. What will Ray say then?

79. spoiler says:

Martian is not getting the calls tonight. There was no big Ka-boom on that check.

80. G Money says:

Both goals – Hall in the blue paint. WTF?

81. Halfwise says:

4 on 4. Strategic!

82. Halfwise says:

Or not.

83. VanOil says:

Someone send and order of fries and two large steaks to the penalty box. Those two boys need some feeding.

84. LostBoy says:

It’s bs, but you can’t put your hand in there. Niskanen clamped down, but it’s going to get called.

85. spoiler says:

Halfwise: Or not.

Not.

86. LostBoy says:

That wasn’t good on Dubnyk.

Well crap. This season is damned.

88. fuzzy muppet says:

Oh Devan. horrible

89. gogliano says:

DD was respecting the open man on the side. Hard to blame him too much, he had the shooter in prime shooting area and a man wide open on his left.

90. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet: Oh Devan. horrible

Letang only had all 4 corners to shoot at from point blank range. It really shouldn’t matter if Doobie cheated for the pass or not.

91. Halfwise says:

No call on Orpik with Hemsky.

92. G Money says:

Petry should take a breathalyzer.

93. spoiler says:

I’m pretty sure Scott Hartnell taught Gagner how to skate.

94. spoiler says:

Yak Hemsky’s around the Ozone.

That’s the kind of play that gets Yakupov in trouble. It doesn’t get much done, despite some great zone time. Opportunity missed there.

96. Rebilled says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!S!S!S!SS!S!S!!!!!!

97. spoiler says:

Dirty dirty dirty Russians.

98. jp says:

Fuck yeah!!! #1 for Belov!!!

99. G Money says:

BELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOV!!!

100. Pouzar says:

OMG… a shot from the point? Getthefuckouttahere

101. spoiler says:

Who loves themselves some Belov? Who, who, huh?

102. VanOil says:

I believe the lap around the Ozone is called the Hemsky. He is learning from the Old pro.

103. Halfwise says:

Belov breaks his maiden.

Belov with a massive goal. This game really really could be the template.

105. D says:

That reminded me of one of those Pronger bombs from the 06 playoffs. BELOV!!!

106. fuzzy muppet says:

Nice job Belov. Where the hell has that shot been?

107. G Money says:

Please do not give up a shortie…

108. spoiler says:

But don’t the American teams get all the big calls? LOL. Sorry, G Money, just kiddin.

109. Rebilled says:

DID WE JUST GET A LATE CALL??????

110. G Money says:

The Baby Nuge has held up mano a mano vs Crosby… Hopefully a confidence builder

111. jp says:

Eakins not smiling, but engaged.

112. spoiler says:

Puck management is still a concern of dire proportions.

113. G Money says:

spoiler:
    But don’t the American teams get all the big calls?LOL. Sorry, G Money, just kiddin.

I am shocked to be honest!

114. G Money says:

But wary of the soft makeup during the PP or shortly thereafter…

115. LostBoy says:

Great game, whatever happens. It says to me: if the Oilers were in the East, they wouldn’t be in the playoffs, but they’d be close enough to still have fantasies.

It’s not size, despite the drumbeat from the media. It’s robot hockey. The Oilers are too young, and don’t have enough of a defense, to combat robot hockey. Trap them, dump it behind their D monotonously, and send the heavy forecheck. They just don’t have the maturity or D

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

to deal with it.

116. Ryan says:

G Money,

lol, the Oilers burn out some of the greats… PDO, Mc79hockey, etc… even DSF the contrarian. Fcuking RNH. i could feel it.

117. fuzzy muppet says:

A well earned win for once.

118. spoiler says:

We won a game on national TV! We won a game on national TV! We won a game on national TV! We won a game on national TV! We won a game on national TV! We won a game on national TV!

119. G Money says:

Baby oh baby!!

120. Halfwise says:

Oh yeah!

121. Rebilled says:

DENNIS FUCKING HOPPER!

122. D says:

WOOO HOOOOO!

123. jp says:

Sweet baby Jesus!!! That is nice to see!! That made my night. Real nice game.

124. VanOil says:

Little bugger is going to be a world beater when he can grow a beard.

125. Pouzar says:

Trade Eberle.

126. Gerta Rauss says:

Game of the year right there…and not just the score and 2 points.

127. Kitchener says:

Imagine those four on an AHL team!

Great night for RNH’s confidence: lining up against the league’s best and coming out in pretty good shape.

128. Ryan says:

fucking RNH dude. I’m not censoring that for LT whom is awesome.

129. spoiler says:

Rebilled: DENNIS FUCKING HOPPER!

Ooh, that’s real good. I like that one.

130. D says:

Anyone know where this Oiler team’s been hiding all season?

Gerta Rauss:
    Game of the year right there…and not just the score and 2 points.

Absolutely. Terrific game for the Oilers, easily my favourite of the year.

132. gr8one says:

Awesome.

Man that felt good.

133. hags9k says:

FUCKIN A RIGHTS!!

Great win. Enjoy it LT nation!

134. jp says:

Smyth had a nice night tonight – who says Kruger was a fool for playing him at 4C?

Smyth SHOULD walk away this summer on a high note, but you know that rink rat isn’t going to stop playing until he has to. Tonight was not a bad audition for next years 4C job. And after that there should be an assistant coaching job open for him before too long.

135. Ryan says:

D:
    Anyone know where this Oiler team’s been hiding all season?

RNH’s been hiding at XIX Edmonton restaurant. I saw him one night I was dining there.

136. striatic says:

WE WANT THE CUP!
    WE WANT THE CUP!
    WE WANT THE CUP!

137. DeadmanWaking says:

Woohoo! Is that how you spell it? I’m rusty. Last time I had my arms up there, I was changing a light bulb.

138. Ryan says:

hags9k:
    FUCKIN A RIGHTS!!

Great win.Enjoy it LT nation!

Muahahahaha this feels good. Enjoy it!! all.

139. gr8one says:

D:
    Anyone know where this Oiler team’s been hiding all season?

We had some really good games in those first ten but just got gut punched into submission and I think it really hurt the psyche of this team.

If there’s ever a game that can finally get us up off the matt and reverse that, it was this one.

Especially after coming back from that last questionable goal by Dubes.

140. bookje says:

Belov with a massive goal. This game really really could be the template.

Yes, I think it might be the system finally taking hold.

141. G Money says:

Side note:

Kunitz vs Hall:

Kunitz – 0 pts, wasn’t involved in a single chance (that I saw) that wasn’t set up by Crosby

Hall – goal and a primary non-assist, only played well half the game and had twice the impact

F U OLY.

142. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Game of the year right there…and not just the score and 2 points.Eakins can point to that game for the rest of the year and say, “that’s what we need from you guys”

Actually, I completely disagree. We have had other games with good effort this year. We have always done well against the offensive, loose, non-structured teams. I don’t think the Pens would be in the top 5 in the West. We don’t have a template till we can beat the Cali teams, St. Loo… When they can beat those teams we have a template.

Yes for sure, they had the try this game, if that’s all you mean. But as you pointed out earlier, there was a lot of fugly too tonight.

143. D says:

Ryan: RNH’s been hiding at XIX Edmonton restaurant.I saw him one night I was dining there.

Ryan seeing Ryan. That’s really cool!

144. G Money says:

DeadmanWaking:
    Woohoo!Is that how you spell it?I’m rusty.Last time I had my arms up there, I was changing a light bulb.

You win – I was checking to see if I blew a Guard or two…

145. bookje says:

Woodguy, you were totally wrong. It was 4-3.

146. Ryan says:

DeadmanWaking:

Last time? This is the first time I’ve understood a single thing you’ve shared here, lol. Well, maybe more than that.

147. D says:

gr8one: I honestly believe the goaltending of those first ten games completely killed this season.

Especially after coming back from that last questionable goal by Dubes.

Man I hope you’re right and this is the start of a new trend.

148. Ryan says:

bookje:
    Woodguy, you were totally wrong. It was 4-3.

Where is woodguy, he’s my fav. Bring back the Woodguy… dammit.

149. Ryan says:

oh, last thought….

Hall >>>>>>>> Kunitz…

goodnight all.

150. iHockeyWpg says:

Khaira with 2 goals, 2 assists, +3 tonight

151. bookje says:

Ryan: Where is woodguy, he’s my fav.Bring back the Woodguy… dammit.

I miss Bruce – where are you Bruce?

152. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

I don’t know what the corgis have to say, but I thought they played PITT pretty well other than the first 10 min of the 2nd period.

Eakins and the team have played 47 games now and have virtually nothing to hang their hats on. They’ve played well and lost, they’ve played OK and lost, and they’ve played poorly and lost. I thought the result reflected the effort tonight-they could have folded up their tent halfway through the 2nd but they didn’t. They’ve had other games trending the same direction this year…and lost every one of them.

Tonight they got rewarded for hanging in there. Eakins can use that as motivation. And beating Crosby on national TV to boot.

153. Ryan says:

Gerta Rauss,

Straight up… for real… I had a premonition that RNH would run Pit’s show tonight.

154. Pouzar says:

No love for Eberle on this board? Jezzuz Keerist people. He set up both Nuge goals fer ***** sakes.

But yeah Ryan Smyth was awesome at Center I agree.

155. Gerta Rauss says:

And just for the record, I’m not planning the parade route-our team is still horribly deficient. I just think this game is something the whole team, not just the players, can rally around.

156. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: spoiler,

Yeah, I think any win can be used as motivation at this point. And I think they played well too. I also would point out that they have played well this season AND have won, so I’m not sure this is any kind of turning point. To my eye they have played better since before Christmas, except for the trip through Death Valley. I’m not sure tonight changes much. And there were still a lot of boneheaded plays with the puck tonight, still some cheating for O, still a lack of puck support in their own zone, still too many high risk, low percentage cross ice passes.

157. spoiler says:

spoiler: But I will take it! A win is a win is a win. I want to see this team continue improving though. They can be better.

Sorry, Gerta, I see you basically said the same thing in your next post.

158. dangilitis says:

Lowetide: Absolutely. Terrific game for the Oilers, easily my favourite of the year.

Great just my luck only game I have missed on a conference (don’t cry for me it’s in
    Florida)

And as much as I love smytty and want him to taste the playoffs one more time as an oiler he was never meant to play #4 c.

If gagner can play like Kunitz on #1 wing and coast why not hold onto him until the end of the season so we can actually sell high for one gordamn time

159. VanOil says:

DeadmanWaking:

You are obviously not a a petulant antipodean teen. Who is so over that.

160. VanOil says:

Eakins blaming the EDM media for the Crosby goal means he can keep his job until next week.

161. Gerta Rauss says:

-spoiler

Yeah,agreed. My original comment was more to the “emotional win” rather than the x’s and o’s.

162. VanOil says:

Gerta Rauss,

The Corgis were happy after pissing in the corner after the second. Little buggers ain’t perfect even if you play with them.

163. icecastles says:

I’M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

You guys can grump all you want about Eakins and Yak and whoever but this is why it’s fun to cheer for a team through the crap as well as the glory – the victories are just so much sweeter when you’ve tasted so much bitterness.

Gawd, I love hockey. I love the Oilers.

iHockeyWpg:
    Khaira with 2 goals, 2 assists, +3 tonight

He’s been coming along lately.

165. VanOil says:

Any update on Hamilton’s latest injury? Back in the UK his nic name would be ‘sick note’.

166. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Great game.

Really happy for Belov. Man did he look excited to score. Super humble in his post game. I like this guy.

VanOil:

Sounded like it was somewhat precautionary to pull him from the game. He “tweaked” it, but Andrew Miller broke his hand.

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:

looks like Miller broke his hand and Hamilton injured his knee (unsure how badly… sounds like he’ll miss at least a game).

169. bookje says:

Somebody made a movie with Scarlett Johansson in it and didn’t include her body??? This might be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

170. jp says:

Way, waay back to the Lander/Hartikainen comments in the post. It’s a nice comparison LT, and it certainly is possible that they don’t value Lander since he hasn’t scored in the NHL. But a couple of points on Lander/Harti:

1) Lander might actually be developing into the better offensive player of the 2. Harti scored right off the bat in the AHL when he arrived, but he really didn’t show much growth after that. Lander was dead in the water in the NHL on arrival, but is finally really killing it in the AHL now. Small sample size, but going back to last season we’re around 40 games of PPG performance. Harti never did get to a PPG player in the AHL. (I should also say that I’m among those who think Harti can play in the NHL and hope to see him back with the Oilers next year). But a PPG in the AHL is kind of a big deal. Only 8 of the top 20 AHL scorers this year, and **2** of the top 20 last year were a PPG (I know there’s a bunch more who didn’t play enough games, but I’m not going there). That’s kind of a big deal. Arcobello was 3rd overall in scoring last year with 68Pts in 74GP. He’s not a 2C option, but the kid deserves a real chance. All this seems weird to say this after 2.5 yrs of waiting for Lander to bring ANY offense, but it’s happening.

2) Hartikainen has gotten a far better opportunity to play with decent players than Lander so far. He played a lot of his 23 games last year with 2nd or 3rd liners plus a nice dose of PP time. Lander has, well… not gotten to play with anyone other than the worst players a terrible team has to offer. Hartikainen’s failure to score last year means a lot more than Landers when you considerTOI and opportunity (and again, I do think Harti can play in the NHL). I agree there’s a player there in Lander, and sure hope they keep him around for a while longer.

171. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The only guy I didn’t see much from tonight was Perron. Other than a sweet feed for a Schultz (jr) chance, he was kind MIA, or maybe I just missed it.

He could have had a hat trick. Some point blank chances, but didn’t have the range tonight.

172. VanOil says:

Thanks LT and ROM. I hope Hamilton catches a break so to speak the kid has had the bums rush with injuries.

173. G Money says:

spoiler: He could have had a hat trick.Some point blank chances, but didn’t have the range tonight.

I think he and Petry were in the bar before the game hitting the sauce. Would explain a lot.

174. striatic says:

jp: Small sample size, but going back to last season we’re around 40 games of PPG performance.

Lander is riding a 20% shooting percentage, so he’s getting some good bounces.

Half Lander’s points are goals, so if he regresses to a more sustainable shooting percentage like 10%, suddenly he’s a .75 PPG AHL player and we aren’t having this discussion.

175. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cool!

I think with the poor quality streams sometime I end up aurally biased. Maybe I saw a lot of him (or some blur), but heard very little.

At any rate, he had some nice corgis:

85 continues to impress.

176. fifthcartel says:

Marincin played more than Nick Schultz and Belov. hmmm.

177. icecastles says:

bookje: I miss Bruce – where are you Bruce?

He’s on a hunger strike until they bring back Stortini.

178. misfit says:

Marincin has come along at an incredibly rapid pace in the new year so far. Just outstanding for where he was in December.

I was never in favour of moving him until now, but I’m about ready to wash my hands of Gagner. Something is definitely up with him, and I know the Penguins are a good team, but he looked awful all night. Even when he has slumped before, you could never question his effort. He just looked like he either couldn’t be bothered, or had no idea what he was supposed to be doing out there.

I LOVED Belov’s game tonight, even without the goal. My biggest gripe with him was how tentative he was, especially with the puck, but that didn’t exist tonight. He was making the right plays, and making them almost instantly and with conviction. Very nice to see.

I also loved seeing Dubnyk going after Malkin.

179. Colieo87 says:

Wow I can’t believe it bet on four teams and I thought edmonton can’t win this one. Sport select was a 20 min period away from winning 1200 dollars and the mighty edmonton oilers prove me wrong.

180. Ribs says:

Colieo87:
    Wow I can’t believe it bet on four teams and I thought edmonton can’t win this one.Sport select was a 20 min period away from winning 1200 dollars and the mighty edmonton oilers prove me wrong.

That’ll teach ya :)

181. jp says:

striatic: Lander is riding a 20% shooting percentage, so he’s getting some good bounces.

No, we’re still having the discussion, just with a little less gusto. 0.75 PPG still has him in line with Hartikainen and Horak. You shouldn’t walk about a player like that.

182. Colieo87 says:

Ribs,

Ya never bet a parlay on 100 dollars 4 game do the minimum which is 3 games. cause the fourth game is going to always cost you. ouch tough pill to swallow.

183. art vandelay says:

Parlays are for saps. True even in Vegas, but moreso when you’re playing the gubmint’s numbers racket.

Woodguy:
    Weird feeling that Oilers win 5-3 tonight.

Meant 4-3, sorry.

Woodguy: Meant 4-3, sorry.

That was a helluva call, good on you. Now, about those lottery numbers…… :-)

Lowetide: That was a helluva call, good on you. Now, about those lottery numbers……

Also,

4, 17, 28, 42, 43, 49

You’re welcome.

art vandelay:

Parlays from reputable bookies are tough enough to beat with the big vig.

The parlays from WCLC are so awful that any self respecting bookie would be embarrassed to put up those lines.

Colieo87:
    Ribs,

Seriously, Art is right.

If you want to gamble on hockey, for gord sake stop using WCLC as your bookie, their lines are horrific.

bet365.com has good hockey lines.

189. bookje says:

Woodguy: EDM corgis growl at home and PIT is ok, but missing their #1Dman, not strong in net and from the EC.

Also,

4, 17, 28, 42, 43, 49

You’re welcome.

Posted at precisely 6:49am. We would be fools not to buy a ticket

bookje: Posted at precisely 6:49am.We would be fools not to buy a ticket

Ok, that’s just weird.

191. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You gamblers are all going to rot in hell.

192. Pouzar says:

People still actually use WCLC?

I concur on bet365

Romulus Apotheosis:
    You gamblers are all going to rot in hell.

Good morning to you too sir!

Pouzar:
    People still actually use WCLC?

I concur on bet365

Biggest con with WCLC is that they give you moneyline type odds for regulation wins.

ie)

Winning a game in regulations is a 3way bet (you can bet on either team or a tie)

PHI winning in reg tonight on 365 is +120 (bet 100 to win 120, 220 returned to you)

PHI winning in reg tonight on WCLC is 1.70 (bet 100 to win 70, 170 returned to you)

Its amazingly bad.

195. Pouzar says:

Woodguy,

Yeah I stopped WCLC years ago…the whole 3 way thing is frickin impossible.
    I remember back in the day trying to get some play on the super bowl/grey cup so I would
    buy a 2 game over/under ticket hoping I would get my early hockey game so I would
    have something to watch later for the SB. Just terrible.

Once I got fed up with that my bro-inlaw hooked me up with his bookie for the BIG
    games and we did that for years before online gambling.

God bless the interweb.