PREDATORS AT OILERS, G54 13-14

In a season where the Edmonton Oilers house is filled rooms on fire, the Kevin Lowe must go story is more about blood than logic. I doubt it will end after Saturday night’s news, but am hopeful we can go back to talking about Craig MacTavish and how he’s going to put out the fires.

flyers333I posted this as a funny follow-up to my opening statement, but it is interesting that MacT/Lowe are in Philly and looking for solutions. I wrote about this over at ON yesterday, but there might be a trade here between the two teams. The Flyers are looking for mobile defensemen, the Oilers are looking for a veteran lefty to anchor their top pairing. Braydon Coburn struggled a year ago but is having a good season in 2013-14 while facing the toughest competition. Coburn and Timonen have formed a solid pairing all year long.

The Flyers may be looking for mobile defensemen and the Oilers have a ton of them. I wonder if the Oilers are interested in Coburn as part of a lefty set that might include Coburn-Marincin-Ference next season? Who knows, but it’s possible. That would effectively block Klefbom and Nurse for next season, I don’t think that’s such an evil thing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, 99

gretzky4There’s touched by God, and then there’s Gretzky. There was a time when it seemed 99 turned Edmonton into the universe’s center, and that he  would be an Oiler forever, but it was not to be and it all worked out fine. As someone who was gifted with the opportunity to see him at Northlands many times, I can say that as entertainment Gretzky was perfect. Hockey and magic have never looked so good together. There was a time when a giant walked among us.

Happy birthday, Wayne Gretzky.

harry1Brock Otten has the OHL’s Top free agents this season, and the #2 prospect (Tyler Gaudet) looks interesting. I’d love to see the Oilers sign Barclay Goodrow just for the name, and he does look like an interesting player. I assume this is Bob Green’s job now, and as we head into the spring this will become more prominent on the blog. Those free agent signings, college, junior or Euro, are very important to the Oilers future.

JONES

• “As a player you see the things that are said and written and it’s a Pass The Blame Game. The coaches and management don’t play the game. We play the same system as basically every other team in the NHL, it’s the players that lose. Yet they (coaches and managers) take the blame. It’s about time the guys in this locker room took a little bit of accountability on themselves and stopped letting other people take the blame.”

Hmmm. I think the goaltending and powerplay, plus whatever is being done to Taylor Hall on his shifts (don’t ask me what’s happening, even the smart people don’t know) have impacted the team. These Oilers look beaten, but I don’t know if that’s quitting on the coach or having the brains to know you’re screwed for yet another season. Either way, Jones called out his teammates and we’ll see where it goes. Article is here.

CHASE, MOROZ

moroz mcritchieBruce McCurdy took in last night’s Oil Kings-Hitmen game and paid close attention to the two Oiler draft picks. The article is here. Both prospects are tracking very well, and along with Jackson Houck could have three WHL forwards over 35 goals this year.

DARKNESS WITH HARKNESS

Ned_Harkness2

As difficult as this season has been, there are many NHL seasons that were more trying. My choice for ‘most difficult season to be a fan’ would be Detroit Red Wings, Ned Harkness era. It is covered well and incredibly here.

439 Responses to "PREDATORS AT OILERS, G54 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. leadfarmer says:

The only reason there was talk about who was to be picked number one in that draft was that Yak was a small, skilled winger and the Oil had plenty of them. Otherwise the scouts had unanimously picked Yak as the best player clearly ahead of the others

Now Yakupov is a HS. Curious.

I thought he was one of the few players going last game.

Some nice back checks as well.

Either he’s traded or has sideburns.

Both options are not good.

I suppose his concussion symptoms may have arisen again.

4. Zelepukin says:

Not according to their twitter. 2nd line with Perron and Gags.

5. book¡je says:

Now Yakupov is a HS. Curious.

You see, I keep imagining a battle between management and the players. Sometimes I think management might be wrong.

Sigh

6. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    I suppose his concussion symptoms may have arisen again.

Eakins?

7. fifthcartel says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 9m
    –> RT @EdmontonJack Hall-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Gagner-Perron, Hendricks-Gordon-Jones, Gazdic-Smyth-Joensuu. Oil lines vs NSH.

Huh, I don’t follow the healthy scratch talk?

8. fuzzy muppet says:

fifthcartel,

fifthcartel,

If Yakupov is healthy scratched again in this shit-show of a season while 89 is run out with impunity to be the worst player on the ice game after game, i’m going to blow a gasket.

9. nycoil says:

gvblackhawk,

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Broadway is a fantastic cultural institution. I go quite regularly. It was just a comment that the league, in choosing them, didn’t exactly recognize their main audience type at the game. It was a bit sad to hear a portion of the crowd actually booing the performers who braved the cold to sing and entertain us. But you could see that coming in a hated rivalry game between these two teams, and the types of hard-core fans who show up for outdoor games in sub-zero conditions; or, at least I think you could.

Next game I am going to is our beloved bad news bears at MSG on Feb 6. I was, at one stage, so excited about that. Still somewhat excited, but I will be feeling a little meeker about wearing one of my jerseys. I promise I won’t throw it on the ice, thought. I just can’t believe I paid so much for my seats back in the summer when I could probably get the same seats now for a big discount to face value.

I like Philly a lot as a potential trading partner as well, as I think I’ve mentioned. The thing is, I’m not sure a trade of players makes sense for them (assuming they are buyers now at this point) before the draft. With the draft being in their backyard, and with Snider/Holmgren seemingly obsessed with the idea of getting a top Dman ever since the old rake went down, I think MacT has an opportunity there. if Ekblad is on the board when the Oilers’ number is up. Couturier + Laughton for the pick? Couturier + Coburn for the pick and a lesser piece? I don’t watch Coburn that regularly so I don’t know if the Oilers should really get him, but would have to assume he has more value than Laughton given he has already done something at the NHL level, though getting two, young centres capable of playing next year in the show appeals to me more if I had the choice.

10. flyfish1168 says:

Now Yakupov is a HS. Curious.

Interesting. Hopefully it is to show Smitty, Jones and Gagner so they can trade them. Other wise it is silly to HS Yak and have his confidence lower.

11. cabbiesmacker says:

stevezie: I’ve heard this from a few different fans, and it has yet to start making sense to me. What has Eakins done so far that came as a surprise? Don’t say “lose”. Give me specifics. Maybe you know something I don’t, but it looks like Eakins is acting like Eakins always has.

No offence Stevzie but can you read? How the hell did you get “Eakins is a bad coach” from my posting or do you just not know what the term “due diligence” means?

Can you please post the link outlining how many candidates were interviewed? If there were some names it’d be real cool. I’d guess a normal NHL team HC search would include somewhere between 3 and 5 interviews but maybe I’m mistaken.

And I didn’t even refer to the classless way RK was relieved of his duties.

Arrogance. It permeates this teams management group.

12. flyfish1168 says:

book¡je: Eakins?

His morning skate pre-game interview was interesting. Saying he hasn’t talked to the players yet so he didn’t want to comment on who is the HS. I think the HS from the bench should be Eakins himself. Send him upstairs to view the show and lock him in the room with Yak. Maybe then we see results between them

Well, apparently Yakupov isn’t a scratch but Arcobello is. I suspect there’s some roster movement going on based on showcase, but Yakupov should be in if he’s healthy and I’m glad he is tonight.

14. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: I

Either he’s traded or has sideburns.

Both options are not good.

To the Hawks for…hmmmm..lemme think of a name here…hmmm…Kyle Beach is already gone…hmmm.

Do you like Mike Kostka?

15. oliveoilers says:

vangolf:

We are family friends with a current nhl’er who confirmed that it was in fact true (at least for him) in respect of free agents being gun shy about edm b/c of fans.

As opposed to TO or Montreal where they receive death threats, and that’s just from public officials. Or Vancouver where they take the town apart for nearly winning the cup. There are some who want to be superstars with all that goes with it and there are some who want to walk in the OC and be anonymous while cashing 7 figure cheques. Which one is your buddy?

and now Sportsnet has Arcobello in and Smyth out! Lordy.

17. flyfish1168 says:

Setting up for a good post game interview for Eakins. Somebody maybe thrown under the bus

18. Eastern Oil says:

Interesting, I just watched the Sportsnet Trade piece on Ales Hemsky with John Shannon and Neil Smith. The teams that they thought would be a good fit for Hemsky would be San Jose and Detroit. San Jose because they need an upgrade on skill for the right side, and Detroit because they have missed that type of player for a couple of years. Interesting to hear their take, but it makes me wonder what would come back? Just picks?

San Jose has been on the cusp for a few years, I wonder if there is an urge to really make a push this year. I don’t see Ken Holland being the type to sell the farm for an unlikely push but I could see Hemsky signing there and fitting in nicely.

On another note, Go Oilers!

19. book¡je says:

Eakins should be fired for sitting Smyth, Yakupov, and Arcobello. They won’t have enough players. What an idiot!

20. Joel Pepin says:

Sorry LT, this is really off topic, but I just loaded the TSN NHL page, and it proudly announced “Touchdown! Rangers score six unanswered, beat the Devils at Yankee Stadium”.

Football reference to a hockey game in a baseball stadium. This is the best mixup of references I’ve heard since the writers of Futurama intentionally tried to make their Captain Kirk knock-off character seem as clueless as possible:

“If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After hearing Eakins response to the media’s call for blood against Kassian, I’m going to cheer like hell for him for (at least) the rest of the year. He’s not perfect, but he seems to have his priorities straight (winning games), and seems smart enough to rise above a lot of the BS.

Regardless of the draft pick this year, I’m hoping the Oilers win a bunch of games between now and June.

Go oilers *clap clap

21. Kitchener says:

Glad DD isn’t playing tonight. Would have been hard to cheer against him.

22. denny33 says:

Andy P,

WG just gave a detailed list of Mac Ts efforts, not including a mid 30′s 4th liner…

Those efforts speak for themselves.

23. flyfish1168 says:

Kitchener: Glad DD isn’t playing tonight. Would have been hard to cheer against him.

I agree. Having 1st child can cause chaos

J Schultz (Joensuu, Smyth)

25. spoiler says:

CYCLE BABY!

26. Kitchener says:

flyfish1168,

I change my mind. I hope we see DD after Jultz gets five more chances in the slot :)

27. spoiler says:

For the love of Gord I hope they trade Smytty to the Sharks and a Stanley Cup win.

28. spoiler says:

Good battle behind the net on that last shift.

29. flyfish1168 says:

Kitchener: flyfish1168, I change my mind. I hope we see DD after Jultz gets five more chances in the slot

Then DD shuts the door

30. hunter1909 says:

Nice rush by Hall there.

31. stevezie says:

cabbiesmacker,

Why would I take offence to you suggesting that I’m illiterate?

(I don’t take offence, because c’mon, but that is still a pretty fantastically bold application of that idiom)

Turnabout, fortunately, is fair play. Can you read, my cabbie-smacking chum? I never said Eakins was a bad coach, I said that there is nothing in his performance this year that would have been uncovered by “due diligence”. The only thing that is different about him this year is losing. Other than that, he is being exactly who “due diligence” would have suggested.

A couple of posts later I addressed the idea that you meant “due diligence” in regards to other candidates. The relevance here is debatable. If you’re car shopping, and you find the perfect car that you know you’re going to buy because it’s perfect, should you spend another two weeks kicking other tires?

But let’s say that Eakins only seemed perfect because they hadn’t seen the rest of the field. I don’t think I buy that idea, but I get it.

“Can you please post the link outlining how many candidates were interviewed?”Is this sarcastic? Obviously I don’t know who they interviewed. Is this usually common knowledge? Someone earlier said that Maurice got an interview. Kruger got an extended interview. And of course, there was Eakins. So that’s three. That matches your minimum list, and that’s assuming we have the whole list.

“Then maybe you and I will kick around sources. I have a relative that coaches within the Oilers system?.You?”
    Maybe you’re being honest, but surely you realize how ridiculous this sounds to everyone else. Relatives/friends on the Oilers staff are like buttholes that don’t stink, everyone claims to have one.
    So no, I can’t kick around sources. However, I’m not sure that I have to. What evidence is there of “no due diligence” beyond your cousin’s word? Wait, do you know who they interviewed? You suggested above that I should be able to post a link, so surely you must be able to post one too! Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case we’re back to having no evidence for anything, which was my point.

“And I didn’t even refer to the classless way RK was relieved of his duties.”
    Good, because that’s not what we’re talking about.

Wow, this got wordy. Anyway, I was only disagreeing with the idea that the hiring of Eakins was an objectively badly handled move and it should have been obvious at the time. This seems like angry retro-scripting to me. This team has lots of real problems that are easy to criticize, I don’t understand some people’s instincts to start inventing problems, like “they didn’t do their due diligence”. Most people inside Edmonton and around the hockey world were very on board with the Eakins hiring. I think their diligence was fine.

32. fuzzy muppet says:

33. spoiler says:

Good shift by Smytty and The Lunchbuckets.

34. hunter1909 says:

This game reminds me of Face Off.

35. flyfish1168 says:

fuzzy muppet: Yakupov does have a bad tendency to drift to the RW . He needs to just learn to drive the lane he’s in

He did look bad there. Looks to have confuse Gagner

36. OilClog says:

That was a hold?!

37. OilClog says:

flyfish1168: He did look bad there. Looks to have confuse Gagner

Doesn’t seem to take much

38. book¡je says:

Weber trying to look bad in Edmonton?

39. Pouzar says:

Trade that Weber bum.

40. Andy P says:

Is anyone else noticing that the Oil seem to have lost their “heaviness”? they all seem to be a lot more relaxed and cheerful, even Eakins. Even the Assistants look less like statues.

Edit: OOPS!!

Moroz 1-2-3 today, including the winner. 48, 26-24-50.

42. Derek says:

Bad pinch Marty, tsk. Either commit or don’t.

43. spoiler says:

Martin the Marincin caught on a pinch.

44. fuzzy muppet says:

Can an Oiler goalie ever make a well timed save? They seem incapable of it

45. flyfish1168 says:

Hall takes another low percentage shot and then it goes the other way. Mmmm

46. stevezie says:

Anyone see Legwand as an off-season 2C target?

47. flyfish1168 says:

Looks like Moroz and Chase got into it at he end of the 2nd period.

48. Pouzar says:

Why NHL players try to deke out the blue line? They never fall for it.

Maybe Gone-yah hates Yak?

49. spoiler says:

I get the impression that Gagner dreams of breakaways when he sleeps at night.

50. jake70 says:

flyfish1168:
    Hall takes another low percentage shot and then it goes the other way. Mmmm

He was only 12-15 seconds into that shift, not much of a backcheck.

51. spoiler says:

Good thoughts and vision there by all Three Amigos.

Nuge does a little shoulder check and sees a safe back pass, Hall wants to shoot but then sees Eberle, who read the play, break for the far post, and has the patience to sift it through. Nice work all around.

52. jp says:

Damn!! That is a nice goal!!! :)

Eberle (Hall, Nuge)

Folks, these kids are good with the puck.

54. Kitchener says:

Beauty

55. Pouzar says:

No top end talent here.

56. stevezie says:

Awesome. My feed died as the play started. I got it back just in time to not really catch the replay. Oh well, let’s focus on the positive. They scored!

57. Derek says:

Smytty with the no-look pass on the first goal highlight. Crafty Vet. Disgusting hockey stick though.

58. Kitchener says:

Pouzar:
    No top end talent here.

Trade the bums

59. fuzzy muppet says:

The Nuge line is lookin’ nice tonight

60. oliveoilers says:

Moment of the period: Joensuu and Smith enter the o-zone and criss-cross. Looked like oil tankers trying to dodge each other, bless ‘em.

62. Derek says:

The corgis are pleased. Edm 58.6%

How was the fire Lowe rally? They haven’t mentioned it.

64. leadfarmer says:

Just a few thoughts:
    Marincin. When he fills out, and he probably can fill out another 30-40 lbs, will be a very good player.
    Yakupov. Really cheer for the player, but has very little hockey sense. Don’t know if it’s fixable but sure hope so. Has no idea and no anticipation for where the puck is gong to be. Might be A fatal flaw in the player. Need to feed him some one timers on the PP like St.Louis does for Stamkos. I think Yak has the best release out of any player drafted since Stamkos.
    Smyth: I hope he is up for a trade to a contender. I know he wants to be in Edmonton, but might be ok for the 3 months. He would fit well in SJS, Bos.
    4th line actually playing decently.

Krueger was wise to let the inmates take control of the asylum. MacT was foolish to seize it back, and give it to a couple of outsiders.

66. OilClog says:

MacT will never break those 3 up, ever.

No one would want to wear that title, it would chase him forever.

I wonder what it would take to land Spezza. Ottawa has a lot of possible moves, if I was MacT I’d see what could shake loose.

Spezza, Methot, Anderson

1st, Hemsky, Gagner, Bryz, Simpson? Scrivens?

67. spoiler says:

Derek: The corgis are pleased. Edm 58.6%

65-35% for Oil at 5X5 too.

68. theres oil in virginia says:

Offense is there AND he’s laying the body AND no massive defensive gaffes. So, my vote is yes.

69. Fixall with Rexall says:

That Josi kid looked really good. Nashville are the reverse Oilers.

70. theres oil in virginia says:

Eberle (Hall, Nuge)

Folks, these kids are good with the puck.

Extra sweet that it was Eric Nystrom’s lazy back-check that allowed Eberle to get in on goal.

71. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Okay, question: is Justin Schultz turning the corner a little? Not by a leap, CERTAINLY not a bound. But a little?

It was a groin injury that he suffered earlier and he notably wasn’t jumping up into the play when he came back, till these past couple of games. Shot less too. I think that groin was bothering him for awhile, as they end to do.

72. book¡je says:

73. vangolf says:

oliveoilers: As opposed to TO or Montrealwhere they receive death threats, and that’s just from public officials.Or Vancouver where they take the town apart for nearly winning the cup.There are some who want to be superstars with all that goes with it and there are some who want to walk in the OC and be anonymous while cashing 7 figure cheques.Which one is your buddy?

Funny you mention Montreal, as that is where he plays (and chose them as a UFA). The visibility isn’t what bothered him, it was the reputation that you will get accosted in public while out with your family that knocked Edmonton off his list (something he has not found in MTL and to be fair may not have found here either had he signed with the Oil).

74. Andy P says:

book¡je,

book¡je: What’s going on? That was a goal by Nashville. The goalie bump was after the goal. Why are the hockey Gords being nice to the Oilers? I’m scared.

Maybe Bettman thinks we’ve been so bad for so long that we’re dragging the NHL down?
    Or are we just playing a little better?

75. spoiler says:

Well there’s the effect of playing Potter-Belov with The Three Thoroughbreds, all wrapped into one shift.

76. gr8one says:

Moroz 1-2-3 today, including the winner. 48, 26-24-50.

That really is amazing.

I remember in the offseason you writing something along the lines(I think it was you) that Moroz really needed to score around the 30 goal pace in order to take the next step in justifying his draft number…and man is he covering that and more. I had serious doubts but man is it good to see.

Maybe the Chase is over? See what I did there?

77. Pouzar says:

Ok glove save by Scrivens….why doesnt he have a nickname yet?

How bout “Da Scribe” or “MENSA” or “Doogie Howse MD”????

78. spoiler says:

Pouzar: Ok glove save by Scrivens….why doesnt he have a nickname yet?
    How bout “Da Scribe” or “MENSA” or “Doogie Howse MD”????

Bartleby?

Pouzar:
    Ok glove save by Scrivens….why doesnt he have a nickname yet?

How bout “Da Scribe” or “MENSA” or “Doogie Howse MD”????

80. leadfarmer says:

The trade baits on the PP.

81. spoiler says:

Smytty in his office.

82. fuzzy muppet says:

The Ol’ 94 special there

83. VanOil says:

Pouzar,

I recall his nickname was “The Professor” on previous teams.

84. leadfarmer says:

Can we get a new goal song yet?

85. jp says:

Nice goal for Smytty, and real nice for him to tie a record from another era. He was pumped about the goal too!!

86. Pouzar says:

VanOil: Pouzar, I recall his nickname was “The Professor” on previous teams.

We can do better than that!

87. fuzzy muppet says:

2 minutes for stick checking

88. stevezie says:

Potter knows what he is there for. Shoot it on net!

89. jp says:

Smyth scoring on the PP and diving on the PK. The man deserves a cup.

90. theres oil in virginia says:

leadfarmer:
    Can we get a new goal song yet?

You don’t like the “I gotta potty” song?

91. spoiler says:

“And a good defensive play by Sam Gagner!”

I had to check my TV Guide.

92. Pouzar says:

jp: Smyth scoring on the PP and diving on the PK. The man deserves a cup.

It’s what makes ’06 so painful…that and they lost it on my birthday

93. jp says:

Really nice to see the crowd cheering for the team. Decent effort and they’re OK.

That PP goal by Smyth puts him at 125, tying him with 99 and one behind Andy for the all-time lead.

95. Pouzar says:

stevezie: That’s the one.

SOLD

96. nycoil says:

Loving Marincin out there on that last sequence against Hornqvist. Add 30lbs and fingers crossed. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much, but will pray to the Gords he keeps developing this way.

97. Pouzar says:

stevezie: That’s the one.

He still isn’t the smartest goalie on the team.

98. spoiler says:

Let’s keep the net like that.

99. spoiler says:

Yak not gonna miss from there. .

100. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler:
    “And a good defensive play by Sam Gagner!”

I had to check my TV Guide.

Oh good. You saw that too. I was getting ready to head to the doctor’s office. I was sure something was wrong with me.

101. jp says:

For one night at least, hockey is fun again. Another really nice goal!!

102. fuzzy muppet says:

YAK ATTACK! 89 looked nice there

103. Pouzar says:

TRADE VALUE!!!!

104. VanOil says:

Watching Yakupov score brings me joy. Long may it continue in Oilers colours.

105. Kitchener says:

Yak makes eye contact with all of his teammates in the celly circle.

106. Andy P says:

Edit: Not a biggie, but looked to me he was doing something that was required of him as a formality, as opposed to actually celebrating.
    Not to make a lot of it, I just found it interesting. Maybe it’s just something I didn’t notice in his other cellies.

107. fuzzy muppet says:

It was nice to see both 57 and 85 driving to the net to open ice up for the pass to 64. This team doesn’t do enough of that

108. theres oil in virginia says:

nycoil:

Watching Hornqvist crane his neck to get into Marincin’s face was hilarious.

109. spoiler says:

110. jp says:

Almost for sure. He’s been really involved tonight, but I’ve been noticing a better overall game for a while now.

111. fuzzy muppet says:

85 looks like a real nice player. if he ever fills out, he’ll be a beast

112. jp says:

lol. Penalty of the year. God I hope they don’t score on this.

113. Ducey says:

That 4th goal was interesting. Marincin goes to the net, Seth Jones caught puck watching.

Great defensive play by Gagner in that period, and an outstanding save by Scrivens at the end of the 2nd period.

115. stevezie says:

Pouzar,

Nice save, Bartleby,

116. OilClog says:

Where has this team been?

117. Pouzar says:

stevezie: Pouzar, Bryz is the philosopher, but your comment reminds me of my favourite story about the Beatles. Supposedly some asked John Lennon is Ringo was he best drummer in the world, which prompted “He’s not even the best drummer in the band!”Nice save, Bartleby,

LOL….thank you for that.

118. fuzzy muppet says:

jp,

The nashville feed didn’t show the replay and it was off-camera for the action. what happened?

119. OilClog says:

fuzzy muppet:
    85 looks like a real nice player.if he ever fills out, he’ll be a beast

The best short term part is that he’s going to watch Chara up close and I’m sure build a potential relationship with Chara passing along all his wisdom.. And us not letting him go.. That’s it! We’re doomed! He’ll be traded and turn into amazing!

120. Andy P says:

spoiler: Why is there no penalty for slashing the stick out of Hendrick’s hands? If it’s a penalty for him to do it?

Because it a ‘Mercan team vs Canadian. Because Bettman.

121. smellyglove says:

In other news, Oilers castoff Tom Gilbert is quietly tied for the lead in points on Florida’s squad.

Between him, Souray, and Brodziak I just don’t know.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 1m

#Oilers chances:
    4: +3/-4 93: +3/-4 14: +3/-3
    64: +4/-0 89: +4/-0 57: +4/-1
    23: +0/-0 27: +0/-0 28: +0/-0
    20: +1/-2 94: +1/-2 6: +1/-2

123. theres oil in virginia says:

fuzzy muppet,

Yak threw his stick to J-Schultz.

124. spoiler says:

Ducey: On another note, the Oilers have been much more physical the last few games. Fewer drive bys.

The Hendricks effect.
    ;-)

125. oliveoilers says:

vangolf: Funny you mention Montreal, as that is where he plays (and chose them as a UFA).The visibility isn’t what bothered him, it was the reputation that you will get accosted in public while out with your family that knocked Edmonton off his list (something he has not found in MTL and to be fair may not have found here either had he signed with the Oil).

I have no idea if it’s a reputation well earned or not. This sounds like vintage Jasmine talk. I have the privilege of knowing some Montreal fans from Montreal. Very, very nice people, except for game days. They tell me some people in MTL have no problems approaching and remonstrating with players in public. I feel it is probably status quo in all good hockey markets. That is, where they know what Hockey is!

126. G Money says:

Andy P: Did anyone else notice the look on Eb’s face when he was congratulating Yak on the score?

I think you mean Gone-yay? And yes, I did find it bothersome.

Love that kid. Plays hockey the way it’s meant to be played.

127. Numenius says:

Andy P:

Yeah, to my eye they’re looking a lot more relaxed tonight. Gagner especially seems to have found a new confidence somewhere. Good to see.

128. G Money says:

Andy P: Because it a ‘Mercan team vs Canadian. Because Bettman.

Thanks man! :-)

129. G Money says:

I see it too. I have not checked the doggies to see if it’s backed up, but offensively he seems ‘smoother’ and defensively I’m seeing him more good than bad these days.

130. Andy P says:

G Money: I think you mean Gone-yay? And yes, I did find it bothersome.Honestly, this season is lost and at this point, the only good wins are moral victories.But if there’s one thing I want out of the rest of this season – it is for Yak to find his mojo, find his shot, find his confidence, and rip the f**kin league apart. Rub it in anyone’s face questioning his draft, and make it impossible to trade him. Love that kid. Plays hockey the way it’s meant to be played.

You’re right, it was Sam. I agree with what you are saying about Yak, and I hope so too – on this team of course.

131. spoiler says:

Scrambled eggs on that shift.

132. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: Thanks man!

I knew you’d pop in after that one! ;)

133. Ducey says:

Apparently Eakins preached the rope a dope for the third.

134. spoiler says:

That looked like another flying elbow by Hendricks there, missed by the zebras. He is not a very nice person.

135. spoiler says:

136. spoiler says:

Yak needs to engage the winger there on the backcheck along the boards, not parallel him.

137. fuzzy muppet says:

89 with another nice defensive play…bizarro

138. Andy P says:

spoiler: Just a brilliant shift by the Lunchbuckets, at least their third one of the night.

Are you actually telling me we now have a functional 3rd line?

139. Pouzar says:

Jeezuz why the icing there Potter?

140. Suntory Hanzo says:

Sounds like the Nashville announcers are “seeing Gagner good”.

141. spoiler says:

Andy P: Are you actually telling me we now have a functional 3rd line?

That was the 4th line, so…no?

142. Pouzar says:

Me like me some 3rd line

143. spoiler says:

Suntory Hanzo: Sounds like the Nashville announcers are “seeing Gagner good”.

This has been his best game in awhile.

144. book¡je says:

Andy P:

His body language was terrible!

145. Andy P says:

spoiler,

I thought I saw Gordon centering, so…. 3rd?

hard to tell with Eakins mixing and matching.

Whatever tension has been released, it’s been released.

147. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Jeezuz why the icing there Potter?

I thought that was about the fourth “pass to no-one and nowhere” by Potter, a number of which then became icings.

148. G Money says:

Whatever tension has been released, it’s been released.

Maybe they need to hold a Skills competition every weekend. And before the game. And between periods.

149. Andy P says:

G Money: Maybe they need to hold a Skills competition every weekend.

Maybe they need to trade Potter and Nultz?

150. Fixall with Rexall says:

G Money: I think you mean Gone-yay?And yes, I did find it bothersome.

But if there’s one thing I want out of the rest of this season – it is for Yak to find his mojo, find his shot, find his confidence, and rip the f**kin league apart.Rub it in anyone’s face questioning his draft, and make it impossible to trade him.

Love that kid.Plays hockey the way it’s meant to be played.

It is a bit telling unless we’re looking to much into it. Maybe that’s been Yaks problem all along. No BFF.

That goal celly between Gags and Yak was almost as awkward as that post draft phonecall Yak made to Sam just after he was drafted.

“It’s me, Nail, are you excited?”
    “……………..uh…………yeah”

151. OilClog says:

Whatever tension has been released, it’s been released.

I really want to believe this, but I’m going to hold off until I see the 1st period next time out. I’ve been tricked about 20times so far this season lol.

152. spoiler says:

G Money: Maybe they need to hold a Skills competition every weekend.

They’ve been playing like this since the Hendricks trade. Been nice to see. Losses, goals haven’t crushed their fragile little spirits. Stuck with game plans… although they’re hanging on for dear life here.

153. OilClog says:

Next year Yakimov will come in and Yak will have a larger large(reverse mini me) to roll with. He can jump up and give wwe style high fives.

154. Andy P says:

Fixall with Rexall: I saw that right away as well. Hemsky might call him tonight and tell him “Dude, watch your body language.”

“It’s me, Nail, are you excited?”
    “……………..uh…………yeah”

Sam’s expression was similar to a woman being forced to hug her ex.

155. jp says:

fuzzy muppet:
    jp,

The nashville feed didn’t show the replay and it was off-camera for the action.what happened?

Ya, sorry. Been trying to make pizza and keep up with the game action. No time to check the comments.

You know he threw his stick to NSchultz. Sr had broken his stick and was by the net. Yak threw his stick pretty much from the point right to Schultz. Pinpoint stick pass, and Schultz fielded it, but not allowed. Nice play aside from being illegal!

Wow, no goal. What’s happening Gords???

156. spoiler says:

Andy P: I thought I saw Gordon centering, so…. 3rd?
    hard to tell with Eakins mixing and matching.

Nope Smytty was centering. Only blender I have noticed thus far is when Nuge finished off the end pf a PK and Gagner got the next shift with Hall and Ebs as a result.

157. book¡je says:

Andy P: Sam’s expression was similar to a woman being forced to hug her ex.

Are you actually serious?

158. OilClog says:

Hahahahahahah wtf is happening

159. Pouzar says:

Beck with the GSP Lay n Pray

160. theres oil in virginia says:

Apparently, Nashville has the slowest defense in the NHL…at least when the puck is heading down for an Oilers icing.

161. jake70 says:

Andy P: Sam’s expression was similar to a woman being forced to hug her ex.

Lol, I;ve seen more warmth from Dianna towards Chuck.

162. Fixall with Rexall says:

“And Hall making his way to the bench…………slowly.”

That was lazy.

163. Andy P says:

spoiler: Nope Smytty was centering.Only blender I have noticed thus far is when Nuge finished off the end pf a PK and Gagner got the next shift with Hall and Ebs as a result.

Ok, I’m going to back off those meds :)

164. spoiler says:

Tic Tac Dough!

NUGE!

166. spoiler says:

Have I mentioned that I love Hall on the point?

167. Andy P says:

book¡je: Are you actually serious?

Not really. Just having some fun

168. fuzzy muppet says:

Fixall with Rexall,

it was noticeably lazy.

spoiler,
    it’s his best in a long, long time

169. spoiler says:

Hope Woodguy hit this one tonight. It was good money.

170. jp says:

LOVE the slapper from Gazdic. The ceiling won’t be particularly high, but he is growing as a player.

171. Pouzar says:

100 mph in da pickle dish

172. Andy P says:

Well that was a bloody good game

173. Fixall with Rexall says:

Is this the best we’ve seen our 4th all year? I think so.

174. stevezie says:

spoiler,

I don’t know about WG, but I made a cool $15, I think. If the Canucks can score in OT this will suddenly become a very profitable day.

175. theres oil in virginia says:

stevezie:
    spoiler,

I don’t know about WG,but I made a cool $15, I think. If the Canucks can score in OT this will suddenly become a very profitable day.

And there it is! Cha-ching.

176. book¡je says:

Andy P: Not really. Just having some fun

Phew – OK

All,

DSF DM’d me on twitter to let everyone know he is alive and well, for those who had concerns.

stevezie:
    spoiler,

Dys win, you did well!

Woodguy:
    All,

That’s it! He’s banned!

180. Derek says:

Marincin with a 36.4% zonestart and 72.2% corsi for at 5×5 close. A good game despite the pinch leading to the GA.

181. fifthcartel says:

Eakins referencing the stats about goalies playing back to back. Almost got a tear in my eye.

Lowetide: That’s it! He’s banned!

Ha ha!

Derek:
    Marincin with a 36.4% zonestart and 72.2% corsi for at 5×5 close.A good game despite the pinch leading to the GA.

That play had rookie all over it.

I doubt he makes it again anytime soon.

He’s learning quick to err to the side of not being out of position, but he has the jimmy legs gene and loves to pinch and jump in.

When he hits 120 games and is jumping at the right times on instinct it will be fun to watch.

184. stevezie says:

DSF isn’t dead and I made an extra twenty bucks? This is a good day!

fifthcartel:

Me too.

I loved how he looked around the room, then slowly rolled out, “well the stats……”

EDM MSM would have excommunicated Galileo for suggesting the Earth orbited the sun, then executed him for lack of grit and try.

Interesting change of tactic by Eakins.

Will have to go back and see how many games he’s done this in.

Severe Dzone starts for Gordon is nothing new, but sending 89 out there and giveing 93 almost no Dzone starts is new I think:

Tonight’s game Dzone starts:

14 Jordan Eberle 26.70%
    4 Taylor Hall 16.70%
    93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 15.40%
    6 Jesse Joensuu 0.00%
    20 Luke Gazdic 0.00%
    94 Ryan Smyth 0.00%

Hall is getting zone push this year, same as last season and in previous years.

188. spoiler says:

stevezie: DSF isn’t dead and I made an extra twenty bucks? This is a good day!

Yessirree bob! On both counts.

189. book¡je says:

Woodguy,

Looks like a Tom Renney or Ralph Krueger rollout.

190. RexLibris says:

Because the Oilers won tonight, does that mean they have to lose twice tomorrow?

;)

Great game to watch. The 4th line was clicking and it was nice to see. Add one or two NHLers to the bottom rotation, give the roster some experience to draw on and they may start to win a few (more).

Marincin looked terrific. I’m liking his…wait for it….poise. He seems to make good decisions at most times, both with and (as importantly) without the puck. Often it seemed the puck would go to the point or around the boards and sure enough, there he is right where he needs to be. These things are small but they are so crucial to a good team.

191. RexLibris says:

Looking at Potter tonight, and perhaps this has been mentioned earlier, but I wonder if he ends up in Detroit.

Renney advocated for him here and a smart puck moving defenseman is usually their stock in trade.

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I had one issue with your piece Rom:

You suggest Eakins has a blind spot when it comes to Shultz and rookies:

If he once was, Nick Schultz no longer is a soft landing for cup of coffee hopefuls. And yet, when Eakins looks to his roster for a veteran hand-holder on the blue line, Nick Schultz is the man he cedes responsibility to.

I’d suggest that NShutlz was his best option for 3LD in those situations.

Goes back to roster make up.

Again.

Sorry, away all day. Just catching up — speaking of which… looks like I missed a lot! Del Colle is the new shiny toy; DSF is openly missed; a Gremlin attacked…. crappy day to visit the in-laws!

At any rate, I hear what you are saying. I weighed it myself, i.e.,

if you have to play 15 where do you play him to do the least amount of damage? 3rd pairing.

if you have to play a rook to limit his exposure, where do you play him? 3rd pairing.

But, in two of Fedun’s games he benched Belov:

and in all 3 of Hunt’s games he benched Belov (I’d post the links but don’t want to go to link jail) follow the game log here:

So, it’s not so clear cut. Especially when you add in the video and the fact he did it with both Fedun and Hunt.

The fact that other options were present also seems evident in the way he’s handled Marincin, which may also speak to the fact that Eakins’ has woken up even more to 15′s trouble.

(another caveat: Smid was on the team for Fedun’s first 2 games… so lots of options).

193. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: He looks a lot like the guy in Hitchcock’s The Rope. Not one of Hitch’s best, but I thought we could call him Rope.

Just call him John Dall.

It’s a pretty funny name already. Even funnier because it lacks the usual nickname punch.

That, or call him Gary.

194. jp says:

Woodguy:
    All,

Good to hear.

I think this DSF thing shows we’re maturing as a group. Perhaps would could get a dog? Or a chair?

196. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think this DSF thing shows we’re maturing as a group. Perhaps would couldget a dog? Or a chair?

Oooh a chair sounds nice. Gets tiring standing around here all day. Of course… there are some downsides…

I was thinking this

198. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I was thinking this

Well, that’s very mature.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »