SAIL ON, PARDUBICE PRINCE??

I usually wait for Matty’s ‘Hemsky’s days are numbered’ article but it seems things may be reaching a fever pitch at the deadline over our man Ales. Longtime readers of this blog will know 83 was the crown prince around here long before the Kings and Jacks arrived via the #1 overall selection.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER 13-14

hemsky 13-14Hemsky is playing tough opponents and his zone starts are in the ‘more severe’  zone although well shy of Smyth and several miles from Gordon. Hemsky is inside the ‘shutdown’ quadrant, making Eakins the first coach since MacTavish to use 83 in what we might call a pure tough minutes role. And he’s damn close to even on the Corgi’s. Hemsky’s role is changing (he’s not the offensive player of 05-06) and he looks to be good at it.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER 12-13

hemsky 12-13This was a tough year for Hemsky, a large bubble in a bad color, and of course many were all over him. Later, it was revealed that 83 had been playing on a broken foot, and believe it or not that seems to have changed the verbal about him in many circles. I also think it helps that Eakins has been so public in his support, and I’d never count Hemsky off this team as long as Kevin Lowe is around (meddling!).

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER 11-12

hemsky 11-12

This is a nice blue bubble in the two-way zone, Hemsky playing tough opponents and coming out alright. I wonder what Hemsky’s story would have been if they’d traded him in the summer of 2008, say to Detroit. He’s been injured, but he’s splendid. A wonderful player, his fame curtailed by playing in the Hinterland where wins go to die.

ALES HEMSKY EXTRA SKATER

hemsky extra skater

He’s looking like a 40 point two-way third line winger now, I think that has value—especially on a team that doesn’t have a plethora of actual NHL players. What would Bill Torrey do? Sign the man!

fussy britches

Say what you want about fussy britches, she guided me through July 1, 2011 with tweets that announced signings and trades about half an hour before they happened—she got one wrong, tweeting the Oil had signed Zenon Konopka (and they didn’t). I still have the post in my “article drafts” pile though, just in case!

Anyway, hope she’s right about a Hemsky extension. I think this is going to be as close as the torpedo in The Hunt for Red October, though.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

dial m

Busy day on the LDTWL and there’s some fluidity to the guests. So it’s ‘like a box of chocolates’ day but scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk Ben Scrivens, Olympic readiness, and Chris Farley figure skating that still makes a grown man weep.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings pbp. They’re on a run and have a busy weekend, we’ll tee it up with Corey.
  • Jason Strudwick had a brilliant interview with Laddy Smid last night, we’ll play back a portion.
  • FC Edmonton will pop in for a conversation about getting ready for the season.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter talks about the social aspect of the Olypmics (athletes village).

Plus we’ll have a bunch of Super Bowl talk as we head toward the big game. Who are you picking? I have no idea.  The best football news I’ve received in several months is Dressler leaving the CFL!

242 Responses to "SAIL ON, PARDUBICE PRINCE??"

Newer Comments »
  1. icecastles says:

All I can say is that if Hemsky goes, I hope the return is significant and it is a proven piece, not the proverbial magic beans. You can win those trades in the long run; you can also look back on them in a year and realize your second overall pick was hit by a bus the week after the draft and you gave 83 away with literally nothing to show for it.

Other than a dent in your damn bus, of course.

2. mumbai max says:

OK. There are some things that I am officially tired of reading/talking about. I just started reading an article at Cult of Hockey about Kevin Lowe. Gord, I wish we could all walk away from the fire Kevin Lowe thing. I just do not understand the logic. Going forward from today, HOW does it work that making KL ‘accountable’ mean that the rest of the team and management suddenly blossom into overachievers. HOW are they related. It is great if you hate KL, and think he is a dick and has screwed up the good ship Oiler. But HOW does it actually have any positive effect to fire him now. Haters, please explain.

Lets focus on things like the 3 for 1 trade, getting Weber for Arcobello and a 3rd, or finding the mythical big fast skilled truculent 2C.

That is all. I feel better now.

P.S. sign Hemsky for 3×3. Get good players. Keep good players.

3. Ben says:

His defensive game is sound, he can play anywhere in the top 9, and probably still get you 45-55 points.

Sign him.

4. Halfwise says:

mumbai max,

On that Weber trade, the Preds would want Abney as well. Tough call on Kingsway.

5. Yeti says:

While it would be great to resign him, my prediction is that Hemsky is traded today to Tottenham Hotspur for Jermain Defoe and future considerations. This will open a bold new era in sporting history.

6. goldenchild says:

Ben: Who on earth do they think they can acquire (for nothing) that would be better in that role? Pretty much any imaginable return would be an instant downgrade.Sign him.

This is absolutely the right question, if you want to be an improved team next year, who will you find to replace his role, where will you find it and what will be the cost. I cant imagine any scenerio where they find a better player for less money or without giving up a significant asset. If you can get him for 3 years at 3.5-4M, considering what you paid Gordon who brings 0 offense and not anywhere near the track record I think would be a great deal. Especially considering Hemmer can easily play in your top 6 when needed and be very good in that role as well offers some flexibility if you did trade Eberle or god forbid Yak.

7. Truth says:

It’s odd that Hemsky’s apparent value is so low throughout the league. I really do not think that Hemsky is a case of the home city and fan base overrating one of their own. Any team (and fan base) that gets him would be pleasantly surprised. I’d

IMO, if Tambellini/MacT/Lowe could have received fair value in trade for Hemsky he would have been gone long ago. Stay the course! Only trade him if the return is of equal value (or greater). I’m all for replacing him for a bigger body that can play, I’m not in favour of trading him for JFJ or even a guy like Penner (back to about 14 mins/night last 10 games).

Sportsnet was running the ridiculous idea that Ladd is available at the deadline. If this is true (which I cannot actually believe / these are our national broadcasters for the next 12 yrs!) I would be all over that. Hemsky + +.

8. steveb12344 says:

mumbai max,

The reason that Kevin Lowe isn’t going anywhere, is that the braintrust down on Kingsway fully believes that this thing is still on the right track. Hell Batman sent out a letter to everyone stating it.

The thing is that if they fire Lowe now and the team turns it around, as they believe it is going to anyway. Everyone would say that KLowe was the problem, and it was his dismissal that changed things. I’m pretty sure that was what Tambi was here for.

However if Lowe is still here when the teams starts winning, then he gets to look like the genius that built the whole thing, and once more gets to be the hero.

Judging from the perceived relationship between Katz and his POHO, my guess is that Mr. Katz would prefer the latter.

9. barry.moore23 says:

Off topic but are you guys ever subject to Mike Emerick and Pierre Maguire calling games (NBC here in the US) ? Oh dear lord, thank you for Center Ice and Canadian broadcasts :)

It’s probably just me ……..

10. oliveoilers says:

If MacT manages to pull off signing Hemmer on the cheap, that would be a huge bold move. Here’s why;

Hemmer is a very good skilled forward. Persuading him to take less ice time, on the third line, in a checking/defensive role and giving his top 6 place to unproven talent is nothing short of genius. Think about it. Less TOI, less points, less showcasing in a contract year. Maybe this was a plan all along. Blind him, flatter him with the 2yr 5m clams, then subtly change his role so he would be cheaper to sign next time, fulfills a team need and opens the door to the future. Also there’s no bad feeling about it. A cynical person could be forgiven for thinking this?

11. RexLibris says:

Don’t know if this has been covered in last night’s post, but the Flames signed Trevor Gillies to the Heat yesterday, and I don’t mean to threadjack, but I thought this was worth mentioning if only as something that (hopefully) further separates the Oilers management from the Flames.

Might be something to watch given the Oil have two more games against the Flames.

A Gillies, Westgarth, McGrattan line is something I can see both Burke and Hartley thinking is a good idea.

Reading over Gillies’ stats line at Elite Prospects and somehow this dynamo managed 54 PIMs in 3 Liiga games.

Score a win for the gritchart.

Now, back to the topic at hand, compare the addition of Gillies to a roster to that of Hemsky – skill and veteran presence with strong two-way play. Bad teams jettison these players when their internal value is closest to cresting.

If the Oilers send Hemsky away it won’t be at the price of a scoring winger, but this July they will be looking for a player who more or less offers what Hemsky has.

Trading it now, for all but financial considerations which I don’t believe apply, is poor management unless a clear upgrade is guaranteed to be available.

12. Pouzar says:

Hemsky is gone. Here’s why.

I bought his Jersey 2 weeks ago.

13. G Money says:

I’m a bit baffled by the “must sign Hemsky” positions.

He’s a UFA at the end of the year. This year is lost, so the only value left in it is development of the youngsters.

We can sign Hemsky now and get nothing, or we can trade him, get something, and then sign him anyway.

Or is the fear that once Hemsky gets exposed to greener grass elsewhere, no way he comes back?

14. gcw_rocks says:

It will be interesting to see what the Oilers due with Hemsky. In November, I did a salary analysis for what San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Detroit spent by line (based on their line up at the time). The average $ spent on 3rd line RWs by those six teams was $1.7M.

In total, those teams spend about 25% of thier cap space on the top line, 17% on the second line and 9% of their cap space on the third line. The Oilers next year, if you assume a $3.9M cap hit for Yak and assume he is the second line RW, will spend about 26% of their cap space on their top line and 18% of their cap space on the second line. This suggests spending above the 9% average (~$6.8M on a $70M cap) means the Oilers will be robbing cap space from defence and goaltending.

Based on this year’s results, are the Oilers really better off signing Hemsky at over $3M per and taking cap space away from defence and goaltending? Or, would Hemsky take $2M or even $2.5M per? Should be interesting, but I really hope the Oilers hold the line on the third line cap space to under $7M. The defence and goaltending need every dollar they can get.

15. G Money says:

Yeti:

Doesn’t he play for TFC now? That’s the news update from the commercial with a bunch of Brits spitting up their tea. It’s not the greatest source of news, but hey – at least it’s not Spector.

16. rich says:

The thing with Hemsky still comes back to what you can get for him (as well as Gagner for that matter). We read/heard last week that everyone around the league says that Oilers overvalue their assets – which is a negotiating tactic.

But for MacT, the Hemsky thing is a very big deal. His value should be highest right here at the deadline because he is a vet, with good numbers (based on the advanced stats) and an expiring contract. Getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick in return is not what this team needs in the immediate future, we need actual NHL players so that we aren’t in perpetual suckage.

I do like that Hemsky is capable of playing the hard minutes role and can keep his head above water and think this is critical with all the kids we have. A vet presence is a good thing and I’d like to see more of them, not less to balance things.

We wait. I won’t be surprised either way, but I hope (like others) we don’t get magic beans if he’s sent away.

17. FastOil says:

I’d rather have Hemsky @ 3M than Jones @ 1.5M. I’m sure Gordon would have been a heck of a lot better off with Hemsky against the Sharks.

Lander Gordon Hemsky
    Joenssu Arco Hendricks
    Gazdic

18. oliveoilers says:

Pouzar:
    Hemsky is gone. Here’s why.

I bought his Jersey 2 weeks ago.

That seals the deal for me! Murphy’s law cannot be denied. ;-)

19. TeeVee says:

Oilers pick up Mark Fraser for Abney/Hartikainen.

20. G Money says:

gcw_rocks: The average $ spent on 3rd line RWs by those six teams was $1.7M.

This too. If Hemsky is now really the 40-pt two-way guy that LT postulates, I can’t reconcile that with the “sign him” posts in this thread that propose numbers from $2.5 – $4M.

Signing him for that kind of number means you expect him to play 2RW, and that means the real headline is “Sail on Nizhnekamsk Noble” or maybe “Sail on Regina Regent”. Or something.

21. Truth says:

G Money:

Has this actually ever happened? I know it seems like a great idea and is often talked about by fans, but it seems like once the player is gone so is the loyalty. At least for the next contract talks. If anyone was going to pull that move I thought it would have been Ryan Smyth after his deal to NYI.

22. Pouzar says:

G Money:

Yes. How often does that really happen? <5% of the time?

23. steveb12344 says:

Sooo. Mark Fraser huh?

24. steveb12344 says:

6’4 220. More truculence. Too bad about Harski though.

25. Pouzar says:

TeeVee,

WTF?

LA gets bigger and we get dumber?

EDIT:
    oops…I have issues with Colin Fraser…carry on

26. russ99 says:

Sail on Kuopio King.

Didn’t give up much, since Hartikainen was obviously not in the plans for MacT, but wasn’t Fraser on the LTIR most of the year?

Is his knee actually healthy?

27. G Money says:

Truth: Has this actually ever happened?

I don’t know. The most common scenario that I can think of in my memory is that a player that is sent away at the deadline signs as a free agent with neither the ‘traded to’ nor the ‘traded from’ team.

My main point here is that if MacT needs to pay Hemsky $3M or $4M to sign now (which as GCW points out, is a gross overpay for his role), then better to trade him and sign him for that in the summer. Pretty guaranteed he’ll sign for that, loyalty or not.

Or better yet, sign a good 3RW for $2M, which should be possible even in Edmonton.

Signing Hemsky now only makes sense if you can get a massive loyalty discount, and I’m not sure I see that happening. If you offer him $1.7M and he takes it, yeah definitely sign him … but if he refuses, better to trade him and get something before he turns UFA, then hopefully negotiate something fair for both sides during the summer.

And if someone else is offering $3M – $4M+ for Hemsky this summer … hmmmm, unless he rocks the playoffs, honestly can’t see it.

28. TeeVee says:

In a nutshell, it’s Fraser for the RIGHTS to Hartikainen. Abney is just a throw in that needed to go anyways.

29. Ribs says:

Oh, that Fussy. Always telling me things I want to hear. For what it’s worth….

Please Don’t Trade Hemsky!

30. nelson88 says:

TeeVee,

Where is this reported? Don’t see it on the Oilers website or TSN?

I was really hoping they would bring Harski back next year.

31. steveb12344 says:

nelson88:
    TeeVee,

Where is this reported? Don’t see it on the Oilers website or TSN?

I was really hoping they would bring Harski back next year.

Dreger on twitter

32. hunter1909 says:

Truth: Has this actually ever happened?I know it seems like a great idea and is often talked about by fans, but it seems like once the player is gone so is the loyalty.At least for the next contract talks. If anyone was going to pull that move I thought it would have been Ryan Smyth after his deal to NYI.

It was a big deal when Ryan Smyth left, but in 2014 watching him schlep around on the lower lines leaves me with a strange feeling I’m watching an old MGM movie in black and white…he barely seems to be playing the game. It’s weird.

33. nelson88 says:

Love Hemsky and would be happy to see him resigned but is he really interested in a 3rd Line slot. on a perpetually struggling team? Unless you trade Yak, Eberle, Hall or Perron where does he play.

If MacT is going to trade him he would be wise to wait until after the Olympics. Hopefully he is healthy, playing with Jagr and putting up some points. His value will be higher.

34. goldenchild says:

Harski and Abney for Faser according to TSN guys. meh. All the ” this team needs more bodychecking and facewashes ” media will be thrilled with it but Im not sure there is anything to be happy or angry about with Frasers deal up at end of year. Would seem a Dman is moving out soon, hopefully N.Schultz.

35. Truth says:

Hopefully this isn’t the Mark Fraser that gets mentioned by all Toronto people I follow on Twitter for being totally incompetent. Hopefully.

36. Kris11 says:

Yaaaay, we dumped Abney.

Booo, we acquired Fraser. Another Marlie for Eakins.

37. Truth says:

hunter1909,

I agree to an extent. I think he has value to the team, though.

My point is that the idea of trading a rental player for a decent prospect and a nice draft pick only to sign the player back in the off-season are awesome to fans, but rarely, if ever, does it happen.

38. LMHF#1 says:

MacTavish never liked Hartikainen for some reason. That shouldn’t have been enough to trade a guy playing quite well in the KHL (and the only young forward near the top of scoring for his team) for another of Toronto’s overrated knuckle chuckers. This is Mike Brown all over again.

39. Kris11 says:

I hope the goal for Fraser is to be a tweener who can come up during injuries or when you want to add toughness for a game or two and not to be a regular.

I also hope this is part one of a deal to move N Schultz out and a real Dman in.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the success that Marincin has had. Personally, I think it shows that the Oilers forwards are NHL average or above and the D is league worst. When the team can function that well with a half decent rookie Dman, it shows that the other Dmen (save Petry) are the problem.

40. russ99 says:

Kris11,

Seems like that, probably more a move to keep the prospects in OKC when we end up moving N. Schultz for a pick.

41. Pouzar says:

Is Fraser gonna be OKC fodder?
    If not, gotta be a d-man on the move outta town no?

42. TeeVee says:

nelson88:
    TeeVee,

Where is this reported? Don’t see it on the Oilers website or TSN?

I was really hoping they would bring Harski back next year.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
    Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cam Abner and Hartikainen.

43. Andy P says:

gcw_rocks:
    It will be interesting to see what the Oilers due with Hemsky.In November, I did a salary analysis for what San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Detroit spent by line (based on their line up at the time).The average $ spent on 3rd line RWs by those six teams was $1.7M.

In total, those teams spend about 25% of thier cap space on the top line, 17% on the second line and 9% of their cap space on the third line.The Oilers next year, if you assume a $3.9M cap hit for Yak and assume he is the second line RW, will spend about 26% of their cap space on their top line and 18% of their cap space on the second line.This suggests spending above the 9% average (~$6.8M on a $70M cap) means the Oilers will be robbing cap space from defence and goaltending.

Based on this year’s results, are the Oilers really better off signing Hemsky at over $3M per and taking cap space away from defence and goaltending?Or, would Hemsky take $2M or even $2.5M per? Should be interesting, but I really hope the Oilers hold the line on the third line cap space to under $7M.The defence and goaltending need every dollar they can get.

Are you basing this on the present cap or next season’s cap?

44. icecastles says:

Truth: Has this actually ever happened? I know it seems like a great idea and is often talked about by fans, but it seems like once the player is gone so is the loyalty.

I believe it happened with Marty Reasoner before the 2006 playoff run. Traded at the deadline, came back in the offseason.

TeeVee:
    Oilers pick up Mark Fraser for Abney/Hartikainen.

That’s hilarious.

MacT must be done with Harski. Too bad.

Fraser is a below average AHL Dman by all reports.

I think this means both Shultz the Elder and Belov are on the way out.

Truth:

The same.

Good fighter.

Bad hockey player.

Spector, Risaug and Gregor will love him.

Puts up a 41% CF, but adds toughness while the team gets destroyed in actual hockey.

47. Andy P says:

Except that Ryan was pretty pissed with the Oilers organization at that time, and it took him years of cooling down and a declining career to bring him back.

48. LoDog says:

Woodguy: That’s hilarious.

MacT must be done with Harski.Too bad.

Fraser is a below average AHL Dman by all reports.

I think this means both Shultz the Elder and Belov are on the way out.

49. Bails14 says:

Kris11,

This is more ‘MacT dumping contracts, acquiring expiring contracts’. Since the rest of the season will be about development, both individually and under Eakin’s system, might as well pick up a former Eakin system drone to help teach on the farm or in practice in the big leagues.

I’m okay with it as long as the drone finds the door afterwards. For everyones information, Fraser has never signed a contract longer than 1 year.

50. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:

But the face-punching. Won’t somebody please think of the face-punching?!?1

*punches face so as not to watch Mark Fraser “play hockey”*

51. goldenchild says:

Woodguy: P>If Fraser gets NHL games instead of Klef its pretty much the stupidest thing ever.

Hmm I overlooked this, you are right WG, taking at bats from Larson, N.Schultz or even Belov not big deal but if they dont get Kelf games after Olympics because of this it is a missed opportunity to get him acclimated and figure out what he needs to work on to be NHL player. Good catch.

52. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: That’s hilarious.

MacT must be done with Harski.Too bad.

Fraser is a below average AHL Dman by all reports.

I think this means both Shultz the Elder and Belov are on the way out.

I don’t get it. Couldn’t they get a 7th rounder for Harti’s rights? Fraser is a UFA.
    Fraser can’t be taking up space when Klefbom is chomping at the bit to get some NHL experience.
    Not seeing the big picture here!

53. Snowman says:

Fraser feels like an OKC trade to me. We already have a borderline LD in Nultz. But then when you think about it OKC has a tonne of D. So this is an Oilers trade… Which means we have a tonne of borderline D… Hopefully there is a part 2 (or as I like to call it the MacT special, borderline trade followed by potentially decent trade…)

At least Fraser is UFA at the end of the year.

MacT is a master of Tank Battles.

55. goldenchild says:

Also if Fraser is as bad as all indications I cant imagine it will take too many games for Eakins to see he’s not an answer. Then again, Gadzic is a regular so who knows.

56. icecastles says:

Woodguy: Spector, Risaug and Gregor will love him.

If we were to look up “damning with faint praise” in the dictionary, I’m pretty sure we’d find Woodguy’s line there. Well played, sir.

57. Surly says:

His 25.8% 5on5CF% against San Jose on Dec 3rd is pretty good, relatively speaking.

58. fifthcartel says:

Mark Fraser? I guess if Hendricks went down they need some one to stare at people and give them mean looks.

59. Truth says:

Interestingly, the Oilers just helped out Toronto by lowering their cap enough to bring Bolland off LTIR, according to Capgeek.

I would rather the leafs be forced to trade an actual NHL player for nothing of value, because I hate them.

AHL quality defensemen at this point:
    Fraser
    Larsen
    Grebeshkov
    Potter
    Musil
    Klefbom
    Fedun
    Gernat
    Hunt
    Davidson
    Marincin (on a good NHL squad)

NHL defenseman:
    Ference
    Petry
    J. Schultz
    N. Schultz (barely)
    Belov (barely)

How does this trade help the Oilers now or in their future development?

60. LMHF#1 says:

Wonder if the Oilers could get Petr Mrazek out of Detroit to go with Scrivens. I doubt it, but he seems to be tracking nicely: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122893

61. stevezie says:

We prematurely got rid of Abney’s stupid contract next year and got an impending UFA defenceman. He probably sucks, but if that’s the case Eakins has made it clear he will bench established players to play superior farm hands like Marincin or even Hunt.

i wouldn’t worry about this, unless they resign him.

Unlike many smart people on here, I buy the idea old-fashionedof roster balance and definitely agree that Hemsky is not the ideal fit, but there is just on getting around this:

Good hockey players make for good hockey teams. Tinkering with the mix can turn good into great, but to move from bad to good you just retain all the goodness you can. I actually think Lowe et al. know this.

62. Halfwise says:

I hope the Fraser signing is for AHL depth this year. If Nultz and Larsen are moved at the trade deadline, there’s room for Fedun and DaBom to come up. Fraser is backfill one layer down. Sad to see the end of the Harsky experiment. Abney on the other hand was a punch line in lame attempts at humor, my own included (see post 4 in this thread).

63. jp says:

It’s OK. I googled Fraser and this came up:

“Current team: Toronto Maple Leafs (#2 / Defenseman)”

He’s the number 2 D we’ve been missing. This is great!!

Woodguy:

Isn’t that above average for the Leafs?

64. stevezie says:

Bails14,

Totally. You guys, we are taking Fraser in exchange for dumping Abney. This is a mole hill.

65. Caramel Obvious says:

G Money:
    I’m a bit baffled by the “must sign Hemsky” positions.

….

Honest question. Has something like this (trading UFA mid-season and then re-signing same UFA in offseason) ever happened? Even once?

66. AZOIL says:

I’m sure there are some D on their way out like Nultz etc and he will likely stay on the farm and help the younger D learn the systems. Maybe they bring up Klef some more for the remainder!

67. jp says:

Truth:

This could be called taking Toronto’s cap problems as an opportunity to get a player at below real value, depending on ones perspective on the player. I don’t believe that for a minute, but it could be framed that way.

Interesting that the Leafs took Abney too. I can’t imagine even they actually wanted the player. I wonder if MacT bothering to get rid of that extra body (who’s not signed past this year) foreshadows a bunch of bodies coming in between now and the deadline?

68. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    At least Fraser is UFA at the end of the year.

MacT is a master of Tank Battles.

Since the nickname “Rommel” is clearly verboten due to PC concerns, how about we call MacTavish the Desert Fox. Play on the “wandering in the desert” quote and bring in the Silver Fox angle.

Seems about right.

Look on the bright side, though. Maybe he can flip Fraser to Shero for two 2nd round picks?

69. jp says:

Fraser’s CorsiRel was positive for the Leafs in 12-13, and his Corsi was actually positive for the Devils in 10-11. Any chance he’s not QUITE as bad as his reputation?

Maybe a legit 6-7 D who is actually tough? For whatever that would be worth…

70. Eastern Oil says:

As many astute posters have already said before me, I have no problem with this deal as long as he does not become a mainstay at the NHL level. If it means AHL depth for Klef and Fedun to have a 5-10+ game run each then it makes sense. Or insurance for when Calgary runs that Westgarth, McGratton, Gillies line! Kidding of course.

Moving Harti was too bad as I was hoping he would be back after having a good year in the KHL. Moving a dead weight contract in Abney helps though.

LT, I wait patiently for your “Sail On, Aldergrove Prince” article…..

LoDog: Hopefully it is current Oiler dman out, Klef up and Fraser to the farm. That would be less stupid.

Pleasepleasepleaseplease

72. Caramel Obvious says:

Eakins has gone out of his way to play mobile defensemen. I’ll worry about Fraser playing too much when it happens. In the meantime they shed a contract. That’s a good thing.

73. oliveoilers says:

Can we just trade farm teams with the Leafs already. It would save a lot of time.

jp:

Maybe a legit 6-7 D who is actually tough? For whatever that would be worth…

Fraser shot out the lights last year and Cody Franson was a huge help to that.

Fraser with Franson 45.8% and without Franson 42.7%

Franson played with Fraser for about 80% of Fraser’s ice time last year.

Fraser’s PDO last year was 1069, which is pretty much unreal.

75. Jon K says:

Quite clearly seems to be a contract dump and a tryout for a role player they were already potentially interested in. Fraser is an UFA at season end.

A little sad to see Hartikainen go. He had potential but I think there were hints of coachability issues. Still think he’d be great with the Oilers after some further development time in Russia. Don’t really care for MacT letting him go, but his value is undoubtedly why the Leafs were interested in acquiring him.

On value alone, it seems to breakdown as a 7th NHL defenceman for a solid 3rd/4th line prospect winger and a busted goon we drafted too high. Looking at value the trade is either a saw-off or a loss, in my opinion. Depends on how you value Hartikainen, which varies wildly in the Oilogosphere.

76. DBO says:

wow, a wee bit of over reaction here folks. 3rd pairing rugged dman with enough mobility who is an improvement on Schultz the elder (who I would expect is being dealt asap, maybe even to Boston). I wonder if Ference is hurt more then expected, but he adds more grit (Hendricks helped, yep too much money, but he makes us better all around). Fraser is a UFA, so no worry. And with more moves coming, it is a small, minor thing.

Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Fraser-Fedun

I would be happy with that. Give Klefbom a whole year in the AHL to get his head and body right and be more then ready next year. Fedun has earned the right to be up, and paired with mean stay at home Fraser makes them a solid 3rd pairing for this team. Yes they are an AHL 1st pairing, but this the Oilers, so that.. Fraser is a space warmer who can play (obviously Eakins trusts him) and is a mean SOB, which we have clearly lacked on our back end all year (especially once Smid went away). It does not solve the ultimate problem, but it doesn’t make us worse, and even adds something we lack.

77. jp says:

Woodguy: Fraser shot out the lights last year and Cody Franson was a huge help to that.

Fraser with Franson 45.8% and without Franson 42.7%

Franson played with Fraser for about 80% of Fraser’s ice time last year.

Fraser’s PDO last year was 1069, which is pretty much unreal.

Yeah, not trying to claim he’s “good” or anything. Just asking the question of how bad he really is. He was helped by Franson, but honestly his numbers going back even to NJ are not that terrible for the most part. Far from good, but he does look like a guy who’s career has been impacted by injury who MIGHT actually be able to hold his own on a decent 3rd pairing. Also big and tough. I’m an eternal optimist on Oilers moves though.

Also, that PDO is out of this world, but has no impact at all on the CF numbers, right?

78. Pouzar says:

Come on Lansky…2 good Super Bowl games? Really? Norwood and Rams/Titans? Really?

Sorry that guy is a hack.

79. Chris says:

You have to think the plan is N Shultz and Belov for a pair of third round picks or best offer. At which point we are indeed a bit light on defensemen. I would think the plan is that they are out, Klefbom is in and the other active spot is a carousel to see who they want to keep as the sixth defenseman next year.

One thing depressing Hartikainen’s value is a) he couldn’t make some hilariously bad oilers teams b) he’s in Russia getting paid which diminishes the chances of him coming back to compete for a roster spot.

80. stevezie says:

Caramel Obvious: Honest question.Has something like this (trading UFA mid-season and then re-signing same UFA in offseason) ever happened?Even once?

Such a good idea, so rarely happens, but yes. Keith Tkachuk. traded from the Blues to the Thrashers for a King’s ransom then turned around and signed with the blues. Made a lot of people mad but totally within the rules.

81. DBO says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    “I’m confident I can provide something the Oilers may be missing… Most of my success comes from my size and aggression.” – Fraser

We are missing a lot, so not sure if this is a big thing. tehe

82. stevezie says:

stevezie,

Doug Weight too, also went back to the Blues, did he not? You can do it with a hyper loyal player, which is why i’m surprised it didn’t happen with Smyth. I think it could happen with Smyth now, if you believe he has another season in him, which is far from a slam dunk.

83. Ribs says:

Peckham’s binge eating summer still costing the team, I see.

84. fuzzy muppet says:

Nobody should be offended by this trade. it’s simply a case of two guys who aren’t in the plans for one guy who likely isn’t in the plans.

More contracts open up. That’s a good thing.

85. TeeVee says:

It could also be spun that having Fraser as an option — when face-punching toughness is needed — lets Eakins sit Gazdic when needed and opens up a spot for Arco.

86. Numenius says:

If Fraser is at least as good as Fistric, I’m fine with this move. The Oil need at least one D that makes the opposing forwards fear entering the zone, and Fraser could be that guy.

87. TeeVee says:

stevezie:
    stevezie,

I can totally see this happening.

88. Jon K says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Nobody should be offended by this trade.it’s simply a case of two guys who aren’t in the plans for one guy who likely isn’t in the plans.

More contracts open up.That’s a good thing.

89. PaperKurtRussell says:

Mark Fraser about to join Hockey Central at Noon any second now. Just had the pleasure of listening to Matheson as well. :)

90. LMHF#1 says:

fuzzy muppet:

It is this part that offends me. Abney shouldn’t be in anyone’s plans of course. Hartikainen should be. Especially ahead of Joensuu, Ryan Hamilton, Will Acton, Ryan Jones, Ben Eager, Tyler Pitlick. MacTavish’s incorrect player assessment doesn’t make this a good move.

91. gmac2412 says:

Long time listener, first time caller…..

As a long suffering Oiler fan living in Toronto, I have some perspective on Mark Fraser from last season. He was a surprise to make the Leafs out of post lock-out camp, but played exceptionally well with Cody Franson for the season and start of the playoffs. Leaf fans thought they had stumbled upon the second coming of Scott Stevens as he brought a hard nosed, physical, defense first game to the table, which dovetailed nicely with Franson’s more offensively minded game.

It all started to go wrong when he blocked a puck with his face (no visor) in the playoffs against the Bruins (ended up with a fractured skull) and for some reason or another, just has not been able to get back to the same level of performance as the lock out shortened season.

Now was last season an aberration due to the short nature post lockout? Has he suffered by not being paired with Franson all the time? Has he lost it due to the serious injury?

All reasonable questions, but this is a fairly low risk move (doesn’t look like they were ever going to get Hartikainen back) which may open up the potential to trade Nultz over the next few weeks.

92. Andy P says:

Kevin Lowe:
    As a GM he did, after all, give MacT the staff to get to the SCF. As President, his role of Robin to Batman may be underappreciated. Lowe is a very experienced hockey person that has Batman’s trust. So when MacT has something that he needs to get past Batman, we have someone that listens to MacT and has Batman’s confidence. That’s big. I enjoy making fun of his 6 Rings Gaffe, and that’s a good nickname, but I’d suggest it really is time to move on from the “fire Lowe” mantra.

MacT:
    As a coach, he coached the Oil to the same SCF. It often goes unnoticed that he was the first casualty of the Dithers era, perhaps the only coach that wasn’t pushed out the door. I still remember his comment at the time to the effect that he felt that there was nothing more than he could do with that team – i.e. the roster Dithers had given him. As a fan I think MacT may be the best GM we’ve had since Glen Sather, although he doesn’t have much competition there, and the sample size is still small. Put differently I think he is doing as good a job as anyone could have done in the circumstances, and I am becoming increasingly confident at this stage that he has a good head on his shoulders and a solid dose of common sense.
    Eakins:
    We’ve yet to see whether Eakins will fly or crash. Contrary to all the “due diligence” complaints, Eakins is not a member of the team, MacT was already aware of which candidates were interested, and selected a man whose approach to the game was better aligned to his own than anyone else that he was aware of, that was available, so it seems to me like a common sense hire.
    Obviously there were difference between Krueger and MacT, and I’m wondering what quality of coach would have been available had Krueger faced the same combination of goaltending collapse and absent top 6 players that Eakins faced, caused Krueger’s dismissal at that time. Perhaps Todd Nelson, but that is another discussion.
    I continue to suggest that the coaching carousel was becoming a bigger threat to the team than the players not listening to the coaches. I believe that the evidence that Eakins is finally getting buy in from the young core was on full display in their two games prior to the Scrivens Save Fest.

Hemsky:
    Hemsky has repeatedly said he would like to stay in Edmonton, is probably undervalued by the other teams in the league, is appreciated by Eakins and a player who quickly embraced his direction. He also was reported to have said that he was pleased with how the meetings went.

Unburdened by further knowledge, or by watching low grade TV serials, I would hope this indicates that we will be blessed by the Pardubice Prince for years to come.

Statistics, Advanced Statistics, and Intangibles:
    For those who think the above represent different camps: It’s not one vs. the other. It’s a sequential process. If there is one KPI that sums it all up, that would be the post-playoff standing. Team #1 being the SCF winner. After that comes layer after layer of increasingly complex stats to identify areas of strength and weakness, so one can build on one’s strengths and address the weaknesses, starting at team level, then drilling down to the component levels – possession, shot %, corsi, etc by team and by player.

You turn to the advanced stats to see why you are not winning games, and who on the team is driving the bus and who is dragging the team down. Once you have identified statistically who is struggling it’s over to the coaches. Except, what do you do when players of known potential do not respond to the coaching they are provided? Once you are on your nth coach it becomes apparent to some that the problem is not necessarily the coach. It’s at that point you have to start looking at the intangibles. Such as language, culture, and relationships, all of which are intertwined.

In a healthy environment this should count for naught – it shouldn’t matter on the ice or in the locker room. Not passing to someone you see as a competitor or someone you don’t like, or deliberately failing to “discipline” the coach, should be far fetched and eliminated well before the players come anywhere near the professional leagues.

But when you get a perennial issue, that wrecks the team year after year, and the only constants become certain players the team is built around, you need to understand what is driving the behaviour in order to fix it, and this is where the intangibles come in, supported by a large dose of common sense.

This is an interesting discussion to me, and my experience with fixing dysfunctional groups over many decades allows me to make statements based on some level of personal experience.

If you have any interest in discussing any of the above then I’m all ears. But if this makes you mad or reminds you of TV shows, I’d suggest that you punch a soft wall or tune in to your favorite serial.

FWIW :)

93. Caramel Obvious says:

Jon K: Don’t think we actually shed contracts. We only had Teemu’s rights, not a contract with him. So it’s Abney’s contract out, Fraser’s contract in.

We don’t shed any contracts for this year. However, since Abney is still on his ELC we shed one for next year.

94. pboy says:

gmac2412,

Welcome. Good post!

95. gcw_rocks says:

Andy P,

The $1.7M is a straight average of the 6 third line RW’s this year.

I did the origonal percentages on this seasons cap, then calculated what that means on a 70M cap. So, this season those teams are allocating on average 25%-17%-9%-4% of their cap space on their four forward lines.

Next season, the Oilers will spend (barring trades) $18M on their top line, or 25.7% of a $70M cap. On Perron-Gagner-Yak they will spend, including bonuses) ~$12.7M, or 18% of a $70M cap. They are spending on their top two lines in line with “top performing” teams (based on the last few years results).

DBO,

Nick Shultz skates much better than Fraser.

97. gcw_rocks says:

Well, problem solved! If you look at the Oilers depth chart before today, it was clear the team lacked 6/7 defencemen to split time playing on the third pair and eating popcorn in the press box. Thank goodness this trade was made! All hail MacT! He identifies the problem, then fixes it.

Don’t be surprised if this means we will not be seeing Fedun in Edmonton again this season.

#BoldMoves

98. Lois Lowe says:

I don’t know that I understand the tooth gnashing around the Fraser pick up. Obviously some D is on the way out and the Oilers needed another(!!) tweener to fill the gap. I also think this means that the organization would prefer to leave Kelfbom/Fedun in OKC for the season and see if they can make a run in the post season. I don’t see the point of bringing Klef up yet, he hasn’t really had the at bats in AAA and needs some more seasoning.

99. nelson88 says:

Caramel Obvious,

Abney’s ELC expires at the end of this year as does Fraser’s. I don’t believe there is any effect on number of contracts.

jp,

Correct.

His CF% are not good away from Franson, and he won’t play with anyone as good as Franson here.

I put up the PDO thing because many say “If he can just be as good as he was last year”

The answer is that he is not as good as he was last year.

101. nelson88 says:

Meant Fraser’s contract. Obviously he is not on an ELC

102. nelson88 says:

Ribs,

Agreed although not as much as it is costing the poor bugger himself.

103. PerryK says:

Just see what happens. If the past is any indicator, they will get rid of him for a 3rd and a 5th. Then they will follow the script written many times.

Get rid of Souray and look for a #1 D with a shot for the PP and some truculence in front of the net.
    Get rid of Penner and look for a sizable winger that can play top 6 minutes.
    Get rid of Smid and claim that we have no one that is capable of minding the store.
    Get rid of Hemsky and look for a 2 way winger that can play 3rd line minutes allowing us to have 3 scoring lines!

It feels like I have seen this movie before!

104. Caramel Obvious says:

nelson88:
    Caramel Obvious,

Well, then. This is mostly pointless.

105. Melman says:

Getting back to the 83 thread (at the risk of hosing down the talk of a non-factor deal), if the bottom 6 next year were some combination of:

Lander-Gordon-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Hendricks-Gazdic
    Arco

Could you live with that? You’d have 3 high $ contracts in the bottom 6 which doesn’t seem too bad, and it pushes Pitlick down for another year and maybe he can be an injury fill in. It gives you 4 C options which MacT loves, but it also means no Smytty comeback.

106. Clay says:

In the 12-13 Vollman Sledgehammer above, I don’t see Jordan Ebersqueeeee. Is it because his enormous blue bubble is above both Hall and RNH?

107. book¡je says:

MacT has made a lot of moves that seemed questionable at the time, but made sense in retrospect (or at least some moves that are like this).

So, while I think its fair to critique and examine each move, I am going to take the approach of toning down the hyperbole when assessing his trades initially.

With that said, I can’t believe this team gave up on Cameron Abney without ever really giving him a chance. This could prove to be the worst move in the history of the franchise.

108. FastOil says:

Mark Fistric GP 28 PTS 5 PIM 20 TOI 15:46 HITS 128 CF% 49.2 ZS% 51.6

Mark Fraser GP 19 PTS PIM 33 TOI 15:12 HITS 66 CF% 41.4 ZS% 42.0

The Oilers have paid twice, again, for the same player, almost. MacT is running out of rope with me, although it may not be him. This could be another emotional reaction from someone after a stressful game. The Marlies thing needs to stop.

There are too many moves being made that are lowering the overall capability of the team. The idea being to move forward, not sideways or backward with a loss of assets.

109. Jon K says:

Woodguy:
    jp,

Correct.

The answer is that he is not as good as he was last year.

We can assume that Eakins put in a good word for him, based on working with him previously. If Eakins had put in a negative review I think we can presume this trade would not have occurred.

Hmmmm. It seems we are beginning to see a trend indicating that MacT might place more importance on “role fulfillment” and reviews from Eakins’ rather than analysis or reviews from his analytics staff.

Clay:
    In the 12-13 Vollman Sledgehammer above, I don’t see Jordan Ebersqueeeee.Is it because his enormous blue bubble is above both Hall and RNH?

it actually covered Hemsky’s so I had to take him out. Good eye

Caramel Obvious: Well, then.This is mostly pointless.

That said, I’m not raring to call up Klefbom and Fedun as much as everyone else.Let them, especially Klefbom, dominate for a while in the AHL.Fedun I can see since he is so much older but my preference is for Klefbom to stay in the AHL as long as possible.

I think this must mean that both Belov and Nick are gone.

If 2 LHD aren’t on their way out, it makes no sense.

Jon K: So, the one year where Fraser has looked like a decent NHLer he had an out of this world PDO?

This is just house keeping until the end of the year.

I take it to mean that 2 LHD are on the way out.

I really, really, really, really want to see Klef up here for 20 games or so.

Fraser and Klefbom aren’t tied to each other imo. Completely possible for Klef to get the recall

114. Melman says:

FastOil:
    Mark Fistric GP 28 PTS 5 PIM 20 TOI 15:46 HITS 128 CF% 49.2 ZS% 51.6

Mark Fraser GP 19 PTS PIM 33 TOI 15:12 HITS 66 CF% 41.4 ZS% 42.0

what exactly did they pay? An ECHL enforcer who was a bad draft pick to begin with and a guy who went 3pts in 23 games last year and refused to sign a 2 way deal. Fraser is a UFA. He’s depth insurance for when they ship out N.Schultz/Potter/Belov either in the 6/7 role or in the AHL and stayed at 48 contracts. As an added bonus they can test drive him against the big bad Bruins tomorrow, so nice timing.

115. rickithebear says:

I look at the game in pieces of the whole.
    Not a moment in Time Corsi.

We know shot success rate is dependent on distance of release.
    we also know that good box Dmen protect the 0-20 ft area of the front of net.
    (drive net/ don’t let drive net)
    we know the 20-30 ft area of release is equally dependent on Dman and Forward Pressure.

Shots beyonfd 30ft largely challenged by forwards.

We know league average.
    0-10 feet 17-18% of shots are goals
    10-20 ft 23-24% of shots are goals.
    20-30 ft 8-9% of shots goals
    >30 ft 3-4% of shots are goals.

We know the bostons of the world s 20 in shots be less than 30% of the total.
    Prevent the drive or protect the box.
    Plus good box Dmen cause the success rate inside the box to be much lower than league average.

Low high Persetage Shots adn
    Reduced success rate in that area leads to conf and cup finals!

So evewry team needs a box Dman that
    has the Chara like numbers of
    14 % inside 20 ft
    8% overall
    less than 30% of shots inside 20 ft.

Mark Fraser has 4 seasons of 20 games.

over that whole period
    he is
    14.3% 0-10 ft
    13.9% 10-20 ft
    8.8% 20-30 and 3.6% greater than 30 ft
    overal a 7.2% dman.
    he allows 28% of the shots to be inside 20 ft.

there is only one variance in this whole period .
    this years maple leafs
    were the 20ft out results
    20-30 ft 10.5%
    >30ft 5.3 %
    and inside 20 ft %
    33%
    are much greater.
    A reflection of very poor forward pressure.

Mark Fraser is a 3rd Comp Dman that can take on slighty tough ZS
    and generate a top 40 EVGA.
    taking pressure off the upper two pairs at even relative to GA.

He has average top 40 PKGA playing in NJ and first year in TOR.

He is pretty much Mark Fistric!
    who we tried to retain and we clearly missed inside 20ft this year!

116. TeeVee says:

book¡je:
    With that said, I can’t believe this team gave up on Cameron Abney without ever really giving him a chance.This could prove to be the worst move in the history of the franchise.

LOL all day. Thanks!

117. nelson88 says:

Caramel Obvious: Well, then. This is mostly pointless. That said, I’m not raring to call up Klefbom and Fedun as much as everyone else. Let them, especially Klefbom, dominate for a while in the AHL. Fedun I can see since he is so much older but my preference is for Klefbom to stay in the AHL as long as possible.

I am of the same mindset there. Was hoping Harski would come back (should have given him JJ’s contract) but according to Willis over at ON that wasn’t in the cards so I am less annoyed by the trade.

Hopefully they are going to get some decent picks for Belov and Nultz and run Fedun and Fraser as the bottom pairing to the end of the year. No need to rush Klefbom.

Expect that the desire to get OKC into the playoffs also plays into it. Big minutes in playoff games for Lander, Marincin, Pitlick etc. has to be a goal for this organization.

118. Melman says:

This is a short term depth move. $5 and a cup of coffee says that there’s an 80% chance his Oiler career is limited to the end of this season. If he plays well enough to deserve to be resigned then everyone wins. In the meantime I’m looking forward to the soon to be coming Klef recall and get a chance to see where he’s at.

Does anyone know if there is a trade freeze during the Olys?

119. fifthcartel says:

The Leafs Nation wrote:

“Hartikainen is a pest with limitless energy and a willingness to hit everything in sight, with some ability to contribute offensively”

What.

120. Lois Lowe says:

I actually think Potter is a more likely candidate to be traded than Belov. A right shooting 2PP guy on an expiring contract has value.

121. stevezie says:

FastOil,

They didn’t pay. Fraser was free. That said, if Abney’s deal expired at the end of the year I don’t get this. We might have done them a favour. MacT still has plenty of rope with me, but I don’t see him using leverage that well when he has it (I don’t mind Hendricks, but shouldn’t the Preds have been desperate to get rid of him?)

122. Caramel Obvious says:

FastOil:
    Mark Fistric GP 28 PTS 5 PIM 20 TOI 15:46 HITS 128 CF% 49.2 ZS% 51.6

Mark Fraser GP 19 PTS PIM 33 TOI 15:12 HITS 66 CF% 41.4 ZS% 42.0

This is a serious overreaction. The most likely result of this trade is nothing. I see no way how this seriously lowers the overall capability of the team.

Save your worrying for a Cam Ward trade.

123. Hammers says:

When Hemsky said all went well maybe it means I have agreed to be traded and resign in the offseason . I don’t believe much anymore, to synical I guess especialy where newspapermen are concerned .

124. Bag of Pucks says:

GMAC2412, thanks for the post.

Sounds like a reclamation project worth a shot. Gord knows the Oilers are not exactly stacked with D that can move bigger forwards out of the slot.

125. Marcus Oilerius says:

Well, the Oilers have apparently decided to increase the value of their roster of 5/6 d-men by hoarding all the 5-6 defenders in the league.

126. Bag of Pucks says:

Marcus Oilerius:

127. striatic says:

Jon K: The one trade where the input of the analytics staff was directly referenced was the Perron/Paajarvi swap, were there any other trades where such reference was made?

not for a trade that i can recall, but there was an acknowledgment of analytics during the draft – both regarding the Marco Roy selection, and the “many late picks” value strategy.

128. russ99 says:

fifthcartel,

LOL!

More like ability to contribute offensively in the AHL, but when it comes to the NHL, forget it.

129. Bag of Pucks says:

If Fraser is = to Fistric, and certainly that’s a big IF, how can Fistric land a 3 year extension with the current league leader, but Fraser isn’t good enough to crack the worst D corps in the league?

130. book¡je says:

Bag of Pucks: MacT’s that guy who’s convinced he can beat you at Monopoly by owning all the railroads and utilities.

If you get them early, you can.

131. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Signing Hemsky would be good for the Oilers.

Would it be good for Hemsky?
    ____

I think the Fraser – Abney/Harti trade boils down to whether or not Fraser can replace Potter/Nultz.

Not as mobile as either, but I think MacT has grown as tired as some fans at the lack of “push back” in this team.

Fraser will bleed some shots, but he still isn’t fun to play against.

Plus, IMO, MacT believes he has enough skill, that he can sprinkle these coke-machine/face-puncher/knuckle-dragger/mouthbreather types through out the lineup, so (eventually) when the Oilers aren’t scoring with the skill, they’re beating them up with these guys.

I like it.

When this team hits the zone (one day…..one day), I believe they think Taylor Hall and Co will have the puck so much, Gazdic/Hendricks/Fraser types will not be a hinderence.(Mike Brown in SJ, Bourdeleaux(sp?) in Colorado, Bollig in Chi, etc).

The marlie thing is getting annoying, however. There are a couple better orginizations we could be poaching, no?
    _______

People want Lowe gone so bad, because when this team gets good, they don’t want him to take any credit.

132. Bag of Pucks says:

Jeff Beukeboom, Don Jackson, Lee Fogolin, Steve Smith, Craig Muni

There can and should be a place for defensmen on your roster who can actually do valuable things like clear the slot of forwards looking to pounce on rebounds, break the cycle in the corners, block shots, and yes, fight those players looking to run your youth core.

Is Mark Fraser this player? I’m not sure, but given they essentially gave up nothing to get him and are desperately short on D with size advantage, this seems a worthwhile gamble.

From Craig Muni to Jason Smith, this team has done ok picking up defenseman undervalued by the Leaves.

All this hysteria whenever the Oilers acquire a physical player is getting SO old. Perhaps it’s best to acknowledge that analytics can’t properly quantify all defensive contributions instead of stubbornly insisting that the ability to make a pass is the only attribute a professional defenseman need possess? If that were the case, Greg Hawgood would be the best defenseman that ever played for the Oil.

Again, I raise the specter of Mark Fistric who was roundly criticized in these parts? How do we explain that the current league leader can find a role for this player but the league’s worst cannot? Clearly there’s a gap in the evaluation metrics being referenced as gospel.

133. Big Dan says:

Hopefully, picking up Fraser means MacT has been getting offers for Nick Schultz.

Fraser is better than Schultz if only for the single fact he’s dirty and nasty. Bring on the truculence! It looks like a sideways move from letting Fistric go… but hey, Hartikainen and Abney are useless so another small but solid move by MacT. Frees up a roster spot and Fraser is better than Fistric; I thought he showed a lot of heart and grit last year in the playoffs.

The Oilers are slowly not being such an easy team to play against. I liked the pushback they gave Vancouver – thanks Hendricks – and looking forward to more from Fraser. Maybe he’ll turn into Ben Lovejoy. :)

134. Jujhar says:

Bag of Pucks: For those bemoaning the Oilers acquisition of a physical defenseman, I feel compelled to mention the following former Oilers, all of whom won rings with this club. Jeff Beukeboom, Don Jackson, Lee Fogolin, Steve Smith, Craig Muni.

The game has changed just slightly since those guys played.

135. rickithebear says:

the result of this trade will be reduced even goals against!
    and reduced PKGA!

136. Bag of Pucks says:

Jujhar: The game has changed just slightly since those guys played.

Not as much as you think. Creases still get crashed. 90% of the goals still get scored 10ft and in. Teams with skill AND size still dominate the top of the standings.

137. FPB94 says:

Nice to know you can acquire a legitimate prospect for a 27 years old bag of pucks.

There’s literally no chance of upside whatsoever in that trade for the Oilers. Pretty dumb IMO.

138. DeadmanWaking says:

Vancouver got manna from heaven yesterday like one hardly ever sees.

While sitting idle, the five nearest teams in the W standings (SJ/LA/Min/Pho/Dal) all posted losses (Dal got a loser point, which from where they sit is at best treading water).

SJ’s two-day visit to the North Pole: -Santa’s elfin workshop, +two visits behind a woodshed carved from ice (with the amount of lumber they split on the first visit, Santa will have toasty toes for many months to come, and perhaps he rewards them yet).

Also, Pho sitting in the under-bubble seat and losing to Buf sure adds some vinegar to the bubble bath.

Newest SJ team T-shirt

Front side: Screwed at the drive thru.

Back side: What’s your excuse?

Needs a picture of Ben at the wicket going “Who all ordered the hungry-man bagel dinner, hold everything? Everyone? Well, enjoy!” as he hands over a paper satchel of twenty fresh napkins and waves the bus through.

SJ is now in a dog-fight to regain home ice in the first round. A Col-SJ match-up has crested 30% odds with home ice advantage pretty close to a coin toss.

Stray but a little, and SJ will wind up facing Chicago (this match-up now at 20%).

I was using the 50-50 model. The weighted model on SJ’s dance partner gives 48% and 15% respectively, with a bump for LA up to 20% (should Colorado falter). My own mental model lies about halfway in between so I default either way much at random.

For SJ, clarity the morning after. Home against Vancouver waning; away against Chicago waxing. Not good. They must feel like the burglars in Home Alone after a double bungle.

139. OilClog says:

This deal is just a plug deal, why get worked up at all about it.

I much would of rather iced Fraser against San Jose then a player like Larsen on the bottom pair for what it’s worth.

Does this improve the team, maybe alil. Does it make it worse, No.

Fistric turned down a bigger deal from the Oilers in the offseason so what’s the point in comparing players exactly? To get mad about nothing?

If he replaced Nultz do we really care? Nultz is horrible on the ice, atleast Fraser will be horrible and punch. That’s something.

140. LMHF#1 says:

Button just dropped that getting Fraser could let you send Marincin to OKC.

Laughing that much hurts my side.

Seriously Button, watch a game occasionally if you’re going to comment on a team.

141. FastOil says:

Melman: what exactly did they pay?An ECHL enforcer who was a bad draft pick to begin with and a guy who went 3pts in 23 games last year and refused to sign a 2 way deal.Fraser is a UFA.He’s depth insurance for when they ship out N.Schultz/Potter/Belov either in the 6/7 role or in the AHL and stayed at 48 contracts.As an added bonus they can test drive him against the big bad Bruins tomorrow, so nice timing.

142. Pouzar says:

LMHF#1:
    Button just dropped that getting Fraser could let you send Marincin to OKC.

Laughing that much hurts my side.

Yeah I heard that. No chance. Stauffer has said a number of times that Klefbom is coming up post trade deadline. No way Marinicin gets sent down…positive Corgis in 17 of 18??? Make no wonder he’s an Olympian!

143. stevezie says:

LMHF#1,

In national guys’ defence, his principle is suond and I bet it is really hard to follow 30 teams.

That said, considering who signs his scheques I would think Button could find time to at least skim the Canadian teams’ blogs. That’s what I would do.

144. FastOil says:

Caramel Obvious: This is a serious overreaction.The most likely result of this trade is nothing.I see no way how this seriously lowers the overall capability of the team.

Save your worrying for a Cam Ward trade.

145. Big Dan says:

I agree that it’s unlikely Mark Fraser is back next September. Darnell Nurse will stay (like it or not).

However, Fraser’ll continue to add an edge to the Oilers for the rest of this year. Give this team some more spunk. He cost us nothing. Hartikainen is just like Omark; a marginal NHLer that MacT was never going to sign – he’d have stayed in the KHL or been released ala Rajala.

MacT wants grit (Gazdic) or smarts (Arcobello) or potential (Lander) from his depth forwards. Hartikainen offers neither. And Abney was such a bad draft choice, don’t need to elaborate. So it’s just another garbage-for-something move by MacT.

MacT must be readying himself to get rid of a few defensemen for picks soon. I don’t want to see Belov and Potter together ever again.

146. LMHF#1 says:

stevezie:
    LMHF#1,

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

No point getting into what you don’t know on a live radio broadcast.

147. Bag of Pucks says:

FastOil: I worry when the GM seems to have beliefs that are flawed and doesn’t seem to mind wasting assets on players that are free in the summer. There is a pattern with the team I hoped was changing.

Conversely, you could argue there’s some value in acquiring players with a nearly half a lost season remaining, to see if they can be part of the solution for next year or not. If players like Scrivens and Fraser work out, it’s two less things to worry about in the offseason and less uncertainty cos you know what you have instead of projecting the fit.

148. flyfish1168 says:

Bag of Pucks:

Jeff Beukeboom, Don Jackson, Lee Fogolin, Steve Smith, Craig Muni

I agree. I was not surprised when he sign that contract with the Ducks. Mark might have come back to early from his injury and that might have affected his play. I wonder if he was offered maybe a 1 year contract with us and he turned it down. If anything it worked out for the better for him anyway

149. Melman says:

Fistric turned down the team’s offer and they weren’t prepared to overpay – that is good cap/asset management. I think it’s highly unlikely Harski was ever going to play in Edm. again. He wouldn’t bet on himself with a 2 way deal and went to the KHL, and they’ve since filled what would have been his spot (so he wasn’t that hard to replace). There will be 2 – 3 D heading out before the deadline, this is a marginal move for no cost that let’s the team see if they want to keep him after the season and also gives them a cushion when they start sending out some of N.Schultz/Potter/Belov/Larson.

Rather than marginal asset management, I’d call it excellent management of marginal assets.

150. steveb12344 says:

FastOil:

151. Pouzar says:

Upon reflection the only issue I have or may have with the move is if it costs Klefbom a late season audition. I was never emotionally invested in Harti as a player like some and Abney is off the books.
    And if Fraser adds some truculence for the balance of the season it will only add to my viewing pleasure as this season is lost and I don’t see him back here next year anyway.

152. steveb12344 says:

steveb12344: Do you call the rights to a player who has no intentions of playing for you, and lil Abner’s big brother Cameron SOMETHING?

Just to clarify: For those that didn’t see the tweet, Dreger referred to him as Cam Abner. :)

153. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar,

I would not be surprised if Klefbom gets in a few games. I do believe MacT has set the tearm up to trade a few D-man by trade deadline.

It doen’t hurt if Klefbom doesn’t get any since he may not be 1st call up option

How so?

2 LHD out the door?

Did the Oilers make a move to get the roster down to 23?

155. Andy P says:

gcw_rocks,

Makes sense. Thank you.

Woodguy: How so?

2 LHD out the door?

Did the Oilers make a move to get the roster down to 23?

Left side Marincin (could be sent down), Ference (injured), N Schultz (could be traded) Belov (same) Fraser (very used to HS).

This isn’t exactly a murderer’s row.

Phil Larsen on IR according to Oil website.

158. AZOIL says:

Bag of Pucks: BAG OF PUCKS says:
    January 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm
    Jeff Beukeboom, Don Jackson, Lee Fogolin, Steve Smith, Craig Muni

Thank you! I am getting sick of some of the people that bash every which move MacT makes! Give the poor GM a chance to build the damn team! Half the trades we all want he likely can’t make them because the rest of the GM’s aren’t idiots. If MacT had no prior history with this team I bet some here would give him a longer leash? He hasn’t really mucked it up to this point and sure some bets haven’t panned out but they were small bets.

This move means nothing if it doesn’t work and everything if it does, same as Grebs. All of you were slamming him for getting Perron too and look how that turned out? So much complaining has turned me from a reader only for years on this blog to a guy who feels like he needs to post once in awhile to even the odds. Apologies if I offended anyone, I just can’t handle all the negativity sometimes!

159. Andy P says:

FastOil: Given they paid for Fistric and let him walk because MacT didn’t like him and Fraser is basically the same player, they paid a 3rd and what many see as a decent prospect in Harti for a guy they could have had for free in a few months, this all with good D prospects on the farm.It’s marginal asset management. Why give up something with value when you don’t have to?

Lowetide: Trade deadline, IR, there are all kinds of things that can be done. I think the Oilers are going to trade people from the roster, and that will open up space.

This isn’t exactly a murderer’s row.

As long as Klef get 20 games this year, then I’m fine.

A nothing trade that helps out Nonis for a favour to be named later.

With Bolland coming back they needed to clear up some cap space.

161. gogliano says:

Woodguy: I think this must mean that both Belov and Nick are gone.

If 2 LHD aren’t on their way out, it makes no sense.

More directly, I think the trade is to give the team the option of sending the two out if they can get deals done.

The creation of the option is the creation of value, even if it isn’t exercised. That’s my take. I don’t always agree with MacT’s valuations of things/players but I think the MBA is often evident in his decision making. I think this is one of those times.

162. OilClog says:

Bag of Pucks:

Jeff Beukeboom, Don Jackson, Lee Fogolin, Steve Smith, Craig Muni

163. OilClog says:

Woodguy: As long as Klef get 20 games this year, then I’m fine.

A nothing trade that helps out Nonis for a favour to be named later.

With Bolland coming back they needed to clear up some cap space.

Why? Why does he have to get 20games? For what purpose? He would just be wolf feed at this point. Let him develop under Nelson for the season. That’s what Detroit would do.

164. denny33 says:

DBO,

It is because obtaining a 6th or 7th defenceman has been a punch line in here for two years….

As if on queue, Craig just found a 6th or 7th damn….

Well done Craig…..

Andy P: Did Fistric walk because MacT didn’t like him, or because he got a better deal elsewhere? Seeing as he declined the offer that MacT made.

166. Bag of Pucks says:

OilClog: The Oilers had a role for Fistric, he just wanted more money then they were willing to give him. End of story.

One would’ve hoped this type of thing ended with Glencross.

167. jp says:

This isn’t exactly a murderer’s row.

One day LT, one day. (looks wistfully to the future…)

168. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: Seeing as he signed for less than the Oilers offered I’d say it was FIstric’s choice to walk.

Link?

169. OilClog says:

Fraser being brought in has everything to do with the San Jose game and nothing to do with the prospects in OKC. We had noone to deploy against the sharks and there is no one on the farm team to call up and fill that role. Not Klef. Only the insane would bring up Klef and ask him to push back against teams like San Jose off the hop.

Potter can’t do it, Belov isn’t getting the right advice, Maricin is our most physical defender. Fraser is immediately replacing Larsen against those big teams.. Thankfully. This is a positive step. Regardless of his Corsi or sideburns.

170. sliderule says:

OilClog,

This is a perfect time to give tryouts to Klefbom Gernat Fedun and maybe even Musil.

No fixed number of games but a tryout.

I think with Klefboms skating that the step up would not be as steep as you might think.

The benefit for the players it gives them extra money and incentive to work hard to stay up next year.

171. OilClog says:

Bag of Pucks: So the Duck’s GM has a better handle on the market value for Dmen and we should take comfort in that?

One would’ve hoped this type of thing ended with Glencross.

Oilers offered him more money in the offseason!! He said no. Wtf. Give him 3million a year to make you happy?

If people are comparing Fistric/Fraser to Glencross.. Let’s compare Perron to Cam Barker, makes about as much sense.

172. gcw_rocks says:

gogliano,

I have an MBA and I can assure you there is no MBA thinking behind this deal.

I would guess at this point his MBA school is in full denial that he ever attended.

173. FastOil says:

He signed toward the end of August for 900K, one year. Down from 1.475M. I don’t think the Oilers wanted him.

174. book¡je says:

denny33:
    DBO,

As if on queue, Craig just found a 6th or 7th damn….

Well done Craig…..

Tambellini would have given up a second round pick and pushed the team to 50 contracts. Huge difference. This is like trading in your used chewing gum for a bent paper clip.

175. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: As long as Klef get 20 games this year, then I’m fine.
    A nothing trade that helps out Nonis for a favour to be named later.
    With Bolland coming back they needed to clear up some cap space.

and BOS and ANA have better Fairies than us!

176. OilClog says:

sliderule:
    OilClog,

No fixednumber of games but a tryout.

Try outs for what? That’s what the summer and preseason are for. Regardless of the Oilers position in the standings currently. Their only objective should be winning. Icing a D-Corps full of try outs is not how I want to see the season end.

177. Andy P says:

I see you’ve embraced the intangibles :)

178. Bag of Pucks says:

For what it’s worth, Willis has an unattributed rumour that the Oil offered Fistric $1.5mil and he countered with $2mil.

If he signed with the Ducks for $900k, it seems this is a good example of a ufa not being enticed by the winning combo of perennial loser and arctic wasteland.

If I’m MacT, I give Fistric the raise and don’t waste my time on Grebs. But as always, hindsight is 20/20

179. G Money says:

180. Andy P says:

rickithebear: Yes cause once the Corsi has occured all else is majic shot fairies controlling the results.and BOS and ANA have better Fairies than us!

not sure what happened, I meant to include this quote, as evidence that you’ve now embraced the intangibles :)

181. ohhell says:

What’s better than trimming fat?

Freeing up contracts.

Another 2 for 1 with the 1 on an expiring contract is a another smart move by MacT. Way too much analysis going on here. There should be celebrations going on that Abney is out of the system and obviously Harti did not fit MacT’s plans.

So, in consideration of positive Friday, I declare this another solid move. We get a few months of toughness (the hell with Corgis at this point) and more room to sign UFAs, college kids, juniors, etc.
    The fewer contracts the better. More options = good thing.

Way too much angst over Fraser’s ability imo. Oiler fans need extended winter vacations in tropical climates – with the dancing, runner girl.

182. sliderule says:

OilClog,

Tryouts so you know whether they are close.

The reason Wings kept them on farm was that they had a great team and no need.

I am sure that over the next few seasons they will not be doing that.

183. ohhell says:

G Money: Considering that Fistric is an Edmonton boy, you have to wonder what kind of message is encoded in that.

It’s called “wanting a better chance to win now”.

184. Numenius says:

Unless Fistric really thought he could get more wherever he went (Oilers or elsewhere). The money offered by the Oil was earlier in the summer when prices were higher and he signed with Anaheim much later (at which time the Oil had already signed alternatives). I’m guessing he ran out of options and ended up having to take something, no matter how low.

In other words, it was not a clear snub of the Oil.

185. gogliano says:

gcw_rocks:
    gogliano,

I have an MBA and I can assure you there is no MBA thinking behind this deal.

Thank you for the assurance. Do you have an argument or just the MBA?

186. Numenius says:

ohhell:
    What’s better than trimming fat?

Freeing up contracts.

Another 2 for 1 with the 1 on an expiring contract is a another smart move by MacT.Way too much analysis going on here.There should be celebrations going on that Abney is out of the system and obviously Harti did not fit MacT’s plans.

So, in consideration of positive Friday, I declare this another solid move.We get a few months of toughness (the hell with Corgis at this point) and more room to sign UFAs, college kids, juniors, etc.
    The fewer contracts the better.More options = good thing.

Way too much angst over Fraser’s ability imo.Oiler fans need extended winter vacations in tropical climates – with the dancing, runner girl.

The Oil didn’t gain a contract because Harski wasn’t signed.

Doesn’t mean it was a bad move though.

187. G Money says:

ohhell,

I buy that for a star player (e.g. Hossa) who’s turning down $10M to play for a winning team at $7M (or whatever). The marginal lifestyle value of that incremental $3M is going to be way less than the value of coming to a winning atmosphere every day.

But if the report is true – that Fistric turned down $1.45M and wanted $2M from his hometown team, but was willing to accept $900K from Anaheim – I’m not sure I buy that. Guys like Fistric don’t generally have the NHL longevity or job security that a guy like Hossa does, and the marginal lifestyle value of that extra $550K/year is a massive thing to give up.

188. G Money says:

Numenius,

I can buy that. Or rather: I hope that.

189. Ribs says:

steveb12344: Just to clarify: For those that didn’t see the tweet, Dreger referred to him as Cam Abner.

Claude Loiselle (Leafs Vice President and Assistant General Manager) called him Abner on TSN’s interview with him on their site as well (tee hee).

190. book¡je says:

So, we have an unattributed rumour that a not too wealthy NHL player gave up $600,000 off of a $1,500,000 salary because he doesn’t want to play in Edmonton.

~40% of his salary

191. G Money says:

Andy P: not sure what happened, I meant to include this quote, as evidence that you’ve now embraced the intangibles

Ricki doesn’t embrace intangibles, only small sample data sets … if it’s on somekindofninja, it’s gotta be true!

Then again, what’s a smaller data set than intangibles?

(I kid I kid, I enjoy Ricki’s posts even as I often disagree with the reasoning)

192. book¡je says:

G Money,

Well said!

193. G Money says:

book¡je: I would want to at least see that the rumour is from a solid source before I gave that ANY credence at all.

If we repeat it enough times, it becomes true. Didn’t you know that?

194. hunter1909 says:

All these Harvard MBA types—they don’t add up to dogshit. Give me guys that are poor, smart, and hungry—and no feelings.

I like MacT picking up tougher players. The stats types cannot like what they cannot quantify.

195. Andy P says:

gogliano: Thank you for the assurance. Do you have an argument or just the MBA?

I’d guess that MacT’s school is actually quite proud of him at this point.

Mr Google says that Queens thinks quite highly of Craig. Would GCW like to disclose his school, so we can do a direct comparison of how they match up, and how proud they are of GCW?

196. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: As long as Klef get 20 games this year, then I’m fine.

I’ll cheer for this happening, as long as you help me convince Eakins to let Yakupov play better hockey.

Newer Comments »