SATURDAY NIGHT!

The Oil Kings are at home tonight (7, Rexall) to play the Calgary Hitmen. This is a great matchup any time, but this season the two teams are at the top of the conference standings and both have fun players to watch.

CALGARY

• Greg Chase: 45, 25-25-50 and looking like a legit NHL prospect. This is a 7th round pick who could be a Kyle Brodziak home run. The scout who convinced the Oilers to take him is probably driving around in a brand new Cadillac.
  • Jack Virtanen: 46, 30-17-47 and one of McKenzie’s top rated players for the 2014 draft. Those 30 goals have come in bunches, many recently.
  • Adam Tambellini: 6, 2-6-8 and having an immediate impact.

EDMONTON

• Mitch Moroz: 46, 25-21-46 and having a strong final season in junior. I’ve been watching his progress and wonder how far he can go.
  • Aaron Irving: 44, 8-20-28 and one of McKenzie’s honorable mentions for the 2014 entry draft.
  • Curtis Lazar: 33, 26-22-48 and probably my favorite Oil King since Phil Russell.

The Oilers have a lot of prospects in action tonight, I’ll update as I can (it’s date night, wine drinking, pizza making HNIC watching night in Canada).

53 Responses to "SATURDAY NIGHT!"

1. Ducey says:

LT, do you know if the Oilers can sign Cody Corbett at the end of the season, or does he need to go into the draft?

2. oliveoilers says:

Woo Hoo! Go prospects! Gotta cheer for something.

Ducey:

I believe he’s still draft eligible. The Minnesota wild have invited him to their TC before, but they can’t sign him until he’s 20, which is after this year’s draft. I believe that’s correct.

4. Young Oil says:

I don’t think anyone has suggested this before (maybe because it’s a dumb idea), but would trading away the first round pick to get a slightly more established prospect that’s a good fit for this team as well as a later first rounder (that could also be dealt) be feasible?

For example, just making a deal with Oil Kings prospects cause it’s the theme of the night, but something like trade the 1st OV to Phoenix for their first round pick (say 16 OV) and Samuelsson, then trade the Phoenix pick and a defensive prospect (Musil/Gernat/Simpson) to Ottawa (who don’t have a first round pick) for Lazar. Would we be better off by doing something like that? Because one could argue that Reinhart/Bennett would just add more of the same to our top 6, while Lazar and Samuelsson (or two other players that fit needs) could add a new element to our lineup.

I’m not saying this is the right course of action, just throwing out another possibility of what to do with the draft pick. I’d also be more than OK drafting Ekblad.

Young Oil:
    I don’t think anyone has suggested this before (maybe because it’s a dumb idea), but would trading away the first round pick to get a slightly more established prospectthat’s a good fit for this team as well as a later first rounder (that could also be dealt) be feasible?

For example, just making a deal with Oil Kings prospects cause it’s the theme of the night, but something like trade the 1st OV to Phoenix for their first round pick (say 16 OV) and Samuelsson, then trade the Phoenix pick and a defensive prospect (Musil/Gernat/Simpson) to Ottawa (who don’t have a first round pick) for Lazar. Would we be better off by doing something like that? Becauseone could argue that Reinhart/Bennett would just add more of the same to our top 6, while Lazar and Samuelsson (or two other players that fit needs) could add a new element to our lineup.

Not a dumb idea at all. The Oilers need to improve their team this summer, and a young, more NHL ready player who does it has to be considered. Gudbranson is often mentioned as an example of same

Marco Roy with an assist tonight, 20GP, 5-16-21 on the year.

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

The Sabres look to come within 1 point of the Oilers, and will have 3 games in hand.

I feel it would be really cruel for the Oilers to finish last, again, and if some other team won the lottery and took Ekblad, but I feel that’s the way the hockey gods are leaning. The lords giveth, and they taketh away. Or karma. Whatever you prefer.

That’s my secret fear this season.

8. Ripoux says:

Looks like Platzer’s Owen Sound game was postponed due to old timey winter out east.

9. LMHF#1 says:

Henrik Samuelsson for Mayor! Or Edmonton Oilers forward anyway.

10. fifthcartel says:

Buffalo approaching us is both hilarious and pathetic. Reinhat/Ekblad/Draisaitl/Bennett here we come.

11. hunter1909 says:

Marcus Oilerius:

I feel it would be really cruel for the Oilers to finish last, again, and if some other team won the lottery and took Ekblad, but I feel that’s the way the hockey gods are leaning.The lords giveth, and they taketh away.Or karma.Whatever you prefer.

That’s my secret fear this season.

Take heart. MacT is gaining a lot of on the job experience, as is Eakins, so next season both will only be sophomore in their respective positions. Bucky and Steve Smith will possibly be sacrificed, but it’s still to early to tell. Anyway, outside of Hall, the 1st overall picks aren’t exactly tearing up the league, are they? Probably best to start trading them away for real NHL players.

Meanwhile, Kevin Lowe has offered to take a sabbatical, something about some foolish silly fans, which Mr. Katz has bravely vetoed.

12. gcw_rocks says:

Marcus Oilerius,

So MacT, the smartest man in the room, took a team that was 24th the league, and achieved that with rookie head coach, no training camp, and western conference play only, and is a week or so away from putting the Oilers in 30th place despite opening the season with a cap team.

This is just too funny. Only Oilers management could self destruct this bad.

13. hunter1909 says:

gcw_rocks: MacT, the smartest man in the room, took a team that was 24th the league, and achieved that with rookie head coach, no training camp, and western conference play only, and is a week or so away from putting the Oilers in 30th place despite opening the season with a cap team.
    This is just too funny.

And unlike Donald Trump’s Apprentice Show, No one is getting fired.

14. jake70 says:

Well, NHL players walking through palm trees to play ice hockey outdoors in a regular season game.

15. justDOit says:

This spectacle in Dodger stadium seems like something from The Running Man.

16. theres oil in virginia says:

fifthcartel:

Maybe. How do you think they’ll look without Ryan Miller and Matt Moulson?

17. hunter1909 says:

justDOit:
    This spectacle in Dodger stadium seems like something from The Running Man.

MacT could do worse than trade for that Cogliano fellow playing on the Ducks. He reminds me of Pisani.

18. justDOit says:

justDOit:
    This spectacle in Dodger stadium seems like something from The Running Man.

Meant the opening ceremony, in particular.

19. hunter1909 says:

Fistric hitting tonight.

Sure glad they got rid of that bum!

20. justDOit says:

hunter1909:
    Fistric hitting tonight.

Sure glad they got rid of that bum!

Picking the good players from a bad team is like looking for chocolates in a pile of shit. Conversely, a stinky nugget or two in a box of chocolates don’t really stick out either.

21. hunter1909 says:

It’s a ridiculous looking spectacle, unless they’re serious about abolishing the Canadian teams, lol

22. hunter1909 says:

justDOit,

I always liked Fistric. Of course MacT/Lowe and the crew know “best”.

23. fifthcartel says:

Greg Chase goal alert.

24. justDOit says:

hunter1909,

I liked him too, but I’m not sure that the return of CFP would do this team any good, and I doubt that he would look good on it.

Anyhoo, I think I’ll go back to trolling Devils fans on reddit. It’s soooooo easy!

25. Derek says:

Greg Chase has a goal and an assist tonight, Moroz with one assist.

Edmonton leads Calgary 6-2

26. gr8one says:

The more I read/hear about that DalColle kid the more I’m inclined to want him to be our pick.

He’s one of the youngest in this years draft, less physically developed than alot of the other top picks and yet is still playing dominant hockey.

So Imagine that filling out and maturing if all other things being fairly equal, it just seems his final ceiling may be higher.

Of course, a 6’2 center that should fill out to over 200lbs, has great offense, a two skillset and described as “a bull” and string on his skates sounds pretty damned ideal to me.

Draisatl would be great too, but it seems to me he’s already built like a man among boys whereas DalColle seems just as good but still a boy among boys.

My ideal situation would be between now and the draft to turn Gagner/Hemsky + + + into a couple of veteran D men like say an Ehrhoff and a solid shut down guy that has a physical presence like a Matt Greene as stop gaps and mentors to our young d in the pipeline, draft DalColle and add a couple of free agents like Ott and Winnik, I’d be pretty damn happy, I think it would make us competitive next year and is fairly realistic.

Chase with a goal and an assist, Moroz with an assist.

28. oliveoilers says:

Ha, Kiss singing about Detroit in LA. And now Ron saying he’s a fully paid up member of Kiss Army. Oh dear….

29. spoiler says:

Alyssa!

30. gogliano says:

gr8one:
    The more I read/hear about that DalCollekid the more I’m inclined to want him to be our pick.

Has he been playing most of his time on the wing or at center?

31. spoiler says:

gogliano: Has he been playing most of his time on the wing or at center?

Dal Colle is a LWer.

32. spoiler says:

gogliano: Has he been playing most of his time on the wing or at center?

He looked great last night, but I will be flabbergasted, flummoxed, and not the least bit phlegmatic if the Oil use their top 3 pick on a winger. Barring a couple of young wingers heading out of town between now and the deadline, of course.

33. gogliano says:

spoiler: Dal Colle is a LWer.

I have zero problem taking Dal Colle if he;’s the bpa. BPA.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cadre Cola!

Nothing like a Running Man reference.

———-

Virtanen’s goal-assist splits worry me. I think Del Colle will need a lot of clearance on the top rated available center to get the nob. a lot.

Here’s a thought. OTT is currently set to pick 9th OV. What if we swap picks and the Oil take back Lazar. Is that fair?

Then you pick Barbeshev or whomever slides.

36. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I have zero problem taking Dal Colle if he;’s the bpa. BPA.

I would have a huge problem with that. Wingers can’t be traded for equivalent quality dmen or centres, and this team desperately needs balance. Not to mention it is virtually impossible to say who will be the better player between a 3rd and 4th ranked prospect.

BVA. Best Value Available, always.

37. spoiler says:

gogliano: As in all his playing time this year has been on LW? He has also played centre in the past and some consider him a more natural centre than LW, from what I’ve read. Just wondering if all his playing time this year has been at LW. I haven’t been watching the OHL.

As far as I can tell he has played the whole year at wing, but then Oshawa has two of the best centres in the league. Cassels was an absolute force last night. And of course they have Laughton too.

38. eidy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

” or whomever slides.”

You mean like Draisaitl :-) Sounds good to me, however, Ottawa might think Lazar is as good as anyone near the top this year

If we are at the top I would take Ekblad “shat the bed for Ekblad”. However, if he is gone, I would try to drop back , pick up a pick/prospect and take Draisaitl, Dal Colle, or Barbashev

Anyone seen Swift Current player named Colby Cave, Redline had him at 114 last year “speed and work ethic, but no hands”. Well he developed some hands. Tied for 19th in points in WHL. 6 ft 190 lb centre. 5 days older than Chase
    2013-14 Regular Season Swift Current Broncos 51 23 31 54
    2012-13 Regular Season Swift Current Broncos 72 21 20 41
    2011-12 Regular Season Swift Current Broncos 70 6 10 16

39. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Did you mean to say “get the nob”?

40. Young Oil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Cadre Cola!

Nothing like a Running Man reference.

———-

Then you pick Barbeshev or whomever slides.

Didn’t they trade their pick to ANA for Ryan?

I was actually going to post that same suggestion myself in my earlier post before I realized that :D

41. eidy says:

Young Oil,

What about flipping with pheonix for Samuellson.

42. Young Oil says:

eidy:
    Young Oil,

What about flipping with pheonix for Samuellson.

43. eidy says:

Young Oil,

yep…. yep you did… puts down beer….

44. DeadmanWaking says:

After breaking our previous stone (the oven wasn’t switched from broil to bake after preheating something else) we got an Emile Henry pizza stone for xmas. The ceramic in these things is amazing: you can use it in the BBQ, cut on top of it, take it directly from freezer to a smoking hot oven, has great heat retention, and it’s not too heavy. Thumbs up. Was briefly confused about it’s maximum temperature rating. EH makes another product line with a temperature ceiling of 500 F. Our stone also has a 500 degree rating. But not 500 F. I just couldn’t believe that, because great pizza needs at least 550 F. And I was right. The real temperature limit is 500 C (or 930 F).

I’ve done some considerable investigations into optimal pizza dough. The Neapolitan style is a major online foodie fetish, but short of an EH stone actually used on the BBQ, the temperatures required are terribly difficult to achieve at home.

The New York style is more achievable. This is the best dough I’ve found yet (only made a few batches so far, but even without fully dialing it in it’s already lapping the competition).

New York Style Pizza at Home (Or How I Became a Food Processor Convert)

New York Style Pizza

With this much sugar the crust is distinctly sweet (which aids browning and contributes to how the yeast develops). With 20% less sugar the sweet note was less obtrusive, but haven’t evaluated other contributions we might have lost.

I switched my recipe to baker’s percentages. (Measuring cups are the +/- of the culinary arts. Gaaah.)

The most flour I can get into my KitchenAid 9-cup food processor without the dough ball riding up on the dough blade and binding against the top of the container was 333 g (other ingredients proportional). With 400 g of flour, the motor cut out well before I finished the final pulse.

We’ve been making our pies with 240 g of finished dough, formed by hand (no rolling pin). Really have to stretch thin to make a full-sized pizza on this stone with this much dough. Tried temperatures from 500 F to 575 F. At 575 F it’s hard to control the cooking process. Maybe that will be the solution when it’s all perfectly dialed in (right down to best oven rack). I’ve actually measured the oven temp. with a proper thermometer and it’s usually within +/- 10 F of what we set on the dial. Unlike some, this oven is fairly accurate. With thicker toppings, use a higher rack (changes the balance of cooking from above or below).

The Science of Cooking dough is okay. The recipe in My Bread by Jim Lahey didn’t impress us at all. His topping recipes are far more interesting, if you’re not into the American kitchen sink pizza topping style. Each of his recipes focuses on one or two central ingredients.

“Lovers … oh, that word bums me out unless it’s between meat and pizza.” — Liz Lemon

We do both styles, depending on mood. Usually pizza night is also date night, so the wine also flows, usually one of the big Italians. This is followed by a movie or two, chocolate, port, and … eventually … enormous fatigue. The next morning we both look at the mess in the kitchen and go “well, it must have been good!” With enough wine you remember so little, it never gets old.

45. eidy says:

Khaira with another goal tonight

46. DeadmanWaking says:

I meant to add that this dough is terribly tacky. The hydration level is much higher than most people are used to working with. Adheres to everything on the first touch (fingers, plastic containers, cutting board) but if you work quick and tug with just the right force, it mostly comes off again in a single lump. The stickiness is right on the cusp of really pissing me off.

Also, if you substitute some of the white flour for whole wheat (we haven’t tried this yet) one generally needs to add extra water to maintain the same consistency. Bran is a water magnet. Changing the hydration changes the behaviour of the yeast which changes the sourness.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Did you mean to say “get the nob”?

Ha! if only. that’s much funnier, though I’m not sure what to make of it.

get the nod…

Young Oil: Didn’t they trade their pick to ANA for Ryan?

Crap that’s right. And I was looking at the draft order earlier to see if the LAK still had their pick to trade for Hemmer… ooops.

Young Oil: Already suggested it in the fourth post! Then suggested packaging that pick with a D prospect to Ottawa for Lazar cause they don’t have a first rounder!

Crap, sorry. Must have skimmed your comment. Usually more diligent.

48. bassguy says:

Hi Deadmanwalking and LT, thanks for the recipe for pizza dough Deadman!..I will try it as I make my own as well….just thought I would tell both of you and whoever is interested, if you get lazy and want to try a great pizza dough..The Italian Centre has great frozen dough they make..it comes in a package of 4 balls of dough and I often by a couple of packs..it really is tasty as my kids love it too! if baked properly at a high temp, it has a nice crust to it but also puffs up just enough(not too much)

49. jb says:

bassguy:
    Deadmanwalking

The man may be smoking the good stuff, but he’s no zombie. I bet he’s waking now.

50. hunter1909 says:

Just woke up from a dream, where Dallas Eakins got fired.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:
    Just woke up from a dream, where Dallas Eakins got fired.

Good dream?

52. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Good dream?

Then, 5 years later he was made GM. The greater good….

53. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Good dream?

I’d suggest that would be an extremely bad thing, actually, and hopefully unlikely, because it would represent that the clamour of the fans had over ruled the calm, rational approach that Katz, Lowe, MacT and Eakins have been taking so far.

As outsiders with comparatively little knowledge of what has gone on within the locker room, we can only speculate on what we can filter out of what we see and hear, and then apply our personal experience and attitude to that to come to some conclusion.

When the only constant is a group of core players on the team, with the change relating to a coaching carousel of Pat Quinn, Tom Renney, Ralph Krueger, and Dallas Eakins, all of whom had wildly inconsistent results, mostly bad, that caused an uproar with the fans and their subsequent dismissal, one has to conclude that it’s not that we simply picked 4 incompetent coaches. All of these men had solid resumes, and with the exception of Quinn, all had done well with youth.

I would suggest that another consistent trend is surfacing, that is more disturbing, and systemic.
    What if the poor play correlates with some of the core players lowering their level of commitment as soon as the coach starts taking a firm stand to force these players to change their ways?

We all know who the core players have been, that constitute our supposed offense, and do not play up to league standards in terms of a 200 ft game. Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner, Justin Schultz, and Nail Yakupov. Did anyone else notice the appalling lack of commitment in the players the game following the Ben Scrivens pickup? You can argue that Ben Scrivens was hung out to dry by their poor defensive game, but did you notice the look of completely subdued disappointment on Jordan Eberle’s face when he scored?

I’m wondering if the pass to score approach, for instance, and the lack of the NHL 200 foot game by these players in particular, has been deliberate or just a sign of forgotten competence? I am suspecting the former.

I’ll say this, in the knowledge of it likely being an extremely controversial statement, but I’m wondering if the above core deliberately threw this game as a response to MacT trading off Dubnyk, who was a popular figure in the dressing room?

Please note that I have excluded Ryan Nugent Hopkins from this list. This young man, as others have said, does seem to have picked up the 200 foot game and plays it increasingly well as his experience and body strength grow.

I am wondering if the non-performance of the team can be more correlated to the timing of the coach crack down on our top offensive players playing a full 200 foot game, than the coach suddenly becoming a bad coach.

Quinn’s old school nature would have been to crack down early. Renney and Krueger let them have their own way for a while before they started focusing on this issue. I personally recall Krueger’s 10 game drop off occurring just as they looked like they were making the playoffs, and just when I picked up that he was starting to become stern over his insistence that the team improve their defensive play. Dallas, on the other hand, with MacT’s clear support and encouragement, started early, just as Pat Quinn did. Which to me indicates that there’s more than a little smoke to this theory. I would go so far as saying that MacT and Eakins went into this exact scenario eyes wide open.

Bear in mind that Ken Hitchcock said in the offseason that hiring Eakins was the best move the Oilers made in the offseason.

Nor am I claiming this as a conspiracy theory. It’s interesting to me, that every one of these players skipped the AHL in their move to the NHL, and in the process, were not forced to pass the last big test of learning what it takes to excel consistently at the AHL level. To this point, we all saw that it took the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line a bit of time to ramp up into dominate their league, but who knows why they didn’t keep that up in the NHL. did they decide it doesn’t belong there?

Nail is not part of the social cluster, he is clearly a fish out of water on this team, in social terms, which is a big pity. Nail however also made the hop directly from Junior to the NHL, and he also showed elite talent, and he is also reticent, shall we say, to play the 200 foot game, though less succinct in the way he has handled it.

This is a big freakin’ problem and it’s not going to heal itself. The amateur approach is to either “Souray” them or fire the coach. The first is not working too well on Nail, and the latter has clearly not solved the problem.

The other constant has been the assistant coaches. I’m wondering how many teams do not allow their coaches to choose their own assistants, and I actually tip my hat to Eakins for wanting to provide the players with a form of stability, by retaining the assistants, at least for the first year. We’ll see the degree the assistants were the issue, or an issue, if they are replaced in the offseason, and it will not surprise me if they do not remain employed by the Oilers. How many people wish their employers were that loyal? (or loyal at all).

Everything I have seen and heard reflects a tight, healthy, competent management team. 6 Rings has made some blunders for sure but he is probably the best interface possible between MacT and Katz. Katz is financially backing this team to the hilt, is so many ways that are not immediately apparent – witness the recent purchase of the ECHL team.

MacT has what it takes to demand the respect of the players. He has a players track record that not one member of this team, and very few people in the league, can ever expect to accomplish as a player. He also, ahem, along with 6 Rings, architected that wonderful, unforgettable 2006 Cup Run.
    In terms of GM, it’s an obvious fact that there is a first time for everyone when they get promoted, and I would suggest that with his knowledge and success in the sport as a player and coach, his familiarity with the dynamics of the organization, his education, his clear intellect, his drive, and his people skills, he is a really good choice for this position at this time. This is supported by almost everything I have heard him say and seen him do, and he clearly has the support, as opposed to interference, of the ownership and senior management.

Back to “the problem”. Losing the core, either through trade or through attrition, is a bad case scenario, but not the worst case scenario. there are worse scenarios than that – one of which would be to perpetuate the present problem.

The problem is how to turn this core into players that willingly, and effectively, play a 200 foot game. I think Eakins can do this, and I think that MacT did exactly the right thing to bring him in and back him to the hilt from the start. I’m sure there are lots of conversations going on between players and coach behind the scenes, and I am hoping that they are bringing in other people that these players may listen to, who may be able to persuade them that the widely used system they are trying to implement, is their ticket to success.

I think that everyone from Katz down to Eakins is doing their job and has a good idea of what to do next. I think they are learning well on the job, and for what it will take for them to succeed, if they do succeed, they will be the envy of the NHL and many of them could make millions turning around other teams.

I think Hall and Nuge may be untouchable. Hall because absolutely no one would be prepared to pay full value for this player, furthermore because I don’t see Hall as the perpetuator of this problem. Nuge because he is actually a quiet example of what we should expect from all of the other players. If there is one player who is actually behaving like leadership material, it’s Nuge.

I would suspect the “Darkness” is with Jordan Eberle. In the Oil change on the top line playing in OKC, Jordan was the “pack” leader. Jordan is also the oldest of the bunch. But he is a sublime, clutch, Championship talent as he has shown repeatedly. The second in line is Samwise. But if Eberle were turned I suspect the whole problem would go away, and we would be back to winning some games,. losing others, and needing the 2C, 1D’s, more size and grit etc to start making runs at the cup.

I also think that the fans in general, and the MSM in particular, have become part of the problem. the answer is not to fire Lowe, or MacT, or Eakins, or blame Katz. I think the right approach may be for us to cheer the goals, cheer the good plays, cheer the things the players should be doing, such as good defensive plays, and boo like hal (not Hall) when one of our top players does one of the non-defensive things we know so well. Most of all we need to stop calling Eakins etc stupid, clueless, incompetent, etc. It might make for flowery language and grit for trolls but it does nothing for the team.

FWIW.