SETTING FREE THE BEARS

The die was cast, the script was written, and it happened a year ago. When Craig MacTavish took over, the first move he made was calling up Temmu Hartikainen. That was April 15, 2013. Hartikainen’s stats April 15 to end of season:

• April 16: 10:37 TOI, 16 shifts and 2 shots on goal.
  • April 21: 14:54 TOI, 18 shifts and 1 shot on goal.
  • April 22: 13:18 TOI, 15 shifts and 1 shot on goal. -1.
  • April 24: 10:51 TOI, 13 shifts and 1 shot on goal.
  • Ralph Krueger (as Harski was sent down with two games left): “He’s trying to figure out what a gritty, strong power forward does and what’s connected to that. What’s important for him is to continue to manage the puck in all three zones.”

And that’s all she wrote. No goals for, not much happening before he arrived or while he was here. It may have been decided before he arrived, or during mid-April, but in the window of opportunity for Hartikainen, nothing rhymed. Later, Craig MacTavish talked about what he wanted from his depth players:

• “In today’s NHL, even marginally, you have to be a threat to score.”

The biggest news today, in real terms, was spelled out one year ago April. Was it conditioning? Was it skill? Was it footspeed? Was it rugged play? It doesn’t matter now, Harski’s gone and we weep for ourselves and Finlandia. The Oilers haven’t won one damn thing without a Finn, and they just threw another overboard.

THE FRASER INSTITUTE

fraser player card

The new Fistric arrived today, a 27-year old tough guy who plays defense. Jonathan Willis wrote a thoughtful piece this morning over at Oilers Nation, and I agree with most of what he’s saying.  I think this is a chance to check out the new hand, see if he gets along with the rest of the crew and is willing to pick up some extra shifts when the lads want to blow off some steam but there’s still work to be done. If he can show up on time, do what’s asked and is a reasonable sort, maybe the foreman will put him on full-time. You can’t begrudge a man from earning an honest day’s work, and he’s gotta punch a clock somewhere (this is pretty much what my Dad would have said in the 1960′s about a new man at the sawmill).

I’m kind of shocked about how much attention the Fraser portion of the deal received today. Oiler fans sure worry about 4th lines and extra blue. I don’t think he blocks anyone, because the Oilers have only one OKC prospect (David Musil) who in any way resembles the player type. The things Fraser represents for this roster don’t exist in Klefbom, or Gernat, or Davidson or Taylor Fedun.

WHAT’S NEXT?

Well, you bring in a guy Friday so you can send out another guy Monday. That’s what the deadline is all about, and one suspects we’ll see something here soon. Oilers play tomorrow morning and then again Tuesday night, but after that  they have clear sailing until Thursday and that’s the natural window.

Who’s going? Nick Schultz, Anton Belov or Corey Potter would be my guess. I know many don’t rate Belov or Potter, but I’m fine with keeping them and do think an NHL team might acquire one or both as we head to the deadline. Defensemen have value, and credit to MacTavish for bringing in a bunch of them—he’ll be able to add a pick or two that have been sent away because of it.

My guess? They’ll be leaving Nick Schultz in Boston.

ABNEY

• Stu MacGregor: “(Scout) Bob Brown had an extreme passion for him. He’s a big kid who had a huge growth spurt in the last couple of years. A kid that has to improve skating, obviously, when you grow that much you’re going to have to improve your skating. We needed to try and get some physicality and he’s a young guy who we think is going to be a huge advantage for us.”

A final note on new General Managers and prospects. I’ve mentioned this before, and it’s worth reviewing today: when a new GM enters the scene, the fringe and marginal prospects of the previous admin are likely doomed in the instant the new suit  signs the papers.

It has always been thus.

90 Responses to "SETTING FREE THE BEARS"

1. D says:

Full credit to MacT. He’s willing to make moves.

2. Eastern Oil says:

LT, I give you credit, you have an uncanny ability to bring peace to a situation otherwise filled with discourse. The guys at C&B are very knowledgeable and a great read but are definitely more reactionary, where although I enjoy all the writers at ON, the comments leave me scratching my head. Please keep it up.

Compliments aside, I think you are on the right track with what you are saying.

I did want to post this although I am sure many here have already seen it:

TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio · 24m
    Dreger on #TSNDrive: #Leafs taking calls on Nikolai Kulemin.

Yes please, dependent on cost of course, is all I can say. Kulemin would look great on the 3rd line with Gordon and does have the ability to move up the 2nd when needed.

3. book¡je says:

You new in town?

4. "Steve Smith" says:

I assume that Fraser is the guy in the upper right, taking the interference penalty?

“Steve Smith”:

good eye, Smith.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Stu MacGregor: “(Scout) Bob Brown had an extreme passion for him. He’s a big kid who had a huge growth spurt in the last couple of years. A kid that has to improve skating, obviously, when you grow that much you’re going to have to improve your skating. We needed to try and get some physicality and he’s a young guy who we think is going to be a huge advantage for us.”

I am deeply disturbed to report that Mr. Brown is still on the payroll:

The only reason I can think to keep him is to keep the set of “Bob (Insert Color Here)” as intact as possible.

7. Rondo says:

LT,

Do think Boston might be interested in Hemsky? They could use a RW and Krejci has chemistry with Hemsky.

8. danieldelair says:

So, I get that it is always the case that new management has no time or at least no ‘investment’ in players from previous regimes but I was thinking earlier today that I truly don’t understand the logic in that. Teemu may be a bad example because they gave him the chance to prove himself before essentially cutting him loose, but I feel like this general trend is a bad one in that it reduces the valuation of a player to who procured them rather than for what they are. Anyone got a particularly glaring example of investment syndrome gone wrong?

Rondo:
    LT,

Do think Boston might be interested in Hemsky?They could use a RW and Krejci has chemistry with Hemsky.

Marco Roy with a goal already tonight, he’s 22, 6-16-22 on the season.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marco Roy with a goal already tonight, he’s 22, 6-16-22 on the season.

I saw he is an alternate captain now too… is that a new thing?

danieldelair:

The prospects who have been sent away by MacT are:

2007 draft: Omark
    2008 draft: Hartikainen
    2009 draft: Paajarvi, Abney, Bigos, Rajala, Roy
    2010 draft: Martindale

He received value for Paajarvi and the rest are prospects every other team has as well. The one guy I feel they should have given a chance to is here

13. bill needle says:

Useless for Useless and Useless.

14. SK Oiler Fan says:

You can also look at it from the perspective that a GM is more likely to keep the light on too long for the draft picks they have approved. No mother’s baby is ugly.

15. fifthcartel says:

Any thoughts on TSN saying the Kings have interest in Gagner?

fifthcartel:
    Any thoughts on TSN saying the Kings have interest in Gagner?

17. spoiler says:

Friday Night Draft Prospect TV Lineup

1. Gatineau at Drummondville

On SN right now, tied 2-2 in the 2nd. Player of greatest interest: Vaclac Karabacek. RWer for the Olympique

2. Tri City at Edmonton

7pm MST, Shaw Channel, which can be seen on HD with those using Shaw boxes, CH 303.

Player of greatest interest: Aaron Irving, D for the Oil Kings.

18. spoiler says:

Wonder what it would take to get Shaw to do a Kootenay game, or even handier, a Rebels match…

19. Henry says:

fifthcartel:
    Any thoughts on TSN saying the Kings have interest in Gagner?

Would be quite ironic for Sam to have such a tough year and end up hoisting le Stanley.

20. Henry says:

I hope Mr. Nultz packs a very large bag for the trip through Boston. I hope Hemsky forgets his passport.

21. G Money says:

LT sez: when a new GM enters the scene, the fringe and marginal prospects of the previous admin are likely doomed in the instant the new suit signs the papers.

It’s supposed to be that way for assistant coaches too, and yet …

Didn’t Hemsky and Krejci rip up some league or the other together during the lockout?

fifthcartel: Any thoughts on TSN saying the Kings have interest in Gagner?

LOL, I first read this as “Any thoughts on TSN having interest in Gagner?” and I thought, “Yeah! Broadcast career! That’s the ticket!”

22. spoiler says:

Really liked today’s trade.

Traded a guy who turned his back on the organization (as is his right) and a guy a scout missed on, for a test drive of a player who has a dimension the Oilers lack. If the test drive shows he also has the prerequisite dimensions we need, then maybe we have some found money. If not, no real loss.

Fraser has suffered from some injury grief, and then couldn’t crack a Leaf blue line, that while it doesn’t have the top end, is pretty deep. Not a bad bet for two guys who were never going to make it here and lacked market value.

23. Pajamah says:

This trade reminds me of the guy who traded a paperclip for a mansion. Keep trading an item for something of slightly higher value until you’re trading for something you need.

This is a paperclip and an eraser for a ballpoint pen.

24. eidy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

LT, is is shocking how much of the drafted players have been culled. They have very little to show for making me spend so much time reading Red line report, Corey Pronman, etc over the last 8 years. The plus side is it has introduced me to a lot of brilliant scouting services.

Only 1 player with the organization from 2009 (lander), 2008 (Eberle), 2007 (Gagner), 2006 (petry). Nothing left from 2005, 2004, 2003, or 2002. Hard to have success when this is what you have to show for 8 years of drafting at the magical 5 year mark. Lander I have hope for, but the decision may have been made on him ala Harti. Gagner is likely to be moved to address other issues and I have no problem with that. I think he is better suited to the wing and I rank Hall, Everle, Perron, Yak and Hemsky above him. His recent good play and his outstanding offense hopefully will result in the return filling a need.

In the future the ones that one might look back on as the ones that got away are Harti, Reider. I really like Reider and hope he finds success in the desert. 2010-2013 will hopefully produce better results to move the re-re -re-rebuild forward

25. mumbai max says:

This may not be a new idea, but it is an idea.

Abandon the mythical Subban/Weber right handed shot unicorn search.

Sign any TWO of Zidlicky, Boyle, Markov, TImonen, Morris, Phillips, Hainsey, etc etc.
    35+ year old UFA veterans. Overpay them on 2 year deals to get them to come. (Do the dollars really matter?) Let them babysit Marincin, Petry, Nurse, Klef, Ekblad, etc., as they develop. Buy them out as required.

26. Minister D- says:

“Steve Smith”,

Wasn’t a penalty, actually.

eidy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

LT, is is shocking how much of the drafted players have been culled.They have very little to show for making me spend so much time reading Red line report, Corey Pronman, etc over the last 8 years.The plus side is it has introduced me to a lot of brilliant scouting services.

Only 1 player with the organization from 2009 (lander), 2008 (Eberle), 2007 (Gagner), 2006 (petry).Nothing left from 2005, 2004, 2003, or 2002.Hard to have success when this is what you have to show for 8 years of drafting at the magical 5 year mark.Lander I have hope for, but the decision may have been made on him ala Harti.Gagner is likely to be moved to address other issues and I have no problem with that.I think he is better suited to the wing and I rank Hall, Everle, Perron, Yak and Hemsky above him.His recent good play and his outstanding offense hopefully will result in the return filling a need.

In the future the ones that one might look back on as the ones thatgot away are Harti, Reider.I really like Reider and hope he finds success in the desert.2010-2013 will hopefully produce better results to move the re-re -re-rebuild forward

28. eidy says:

phew, that’s a relief.

where does Gold-en rank in comparison to Book it

29. sliderule says:

I don’t think we should be surprised that Mact has been sending away picks and not getting much.

When you draft poor you don’t have value to trade.

The kings have 8 picks outside of first round currently playing in nhl from the 2003. -2010.drafts.

The oilers have four.

We have to hope that the oilers get some later picks like Gernat ,Maroz or Chase from the 2011-13 drafts .If some of these guys can play it would be huge .It would give them options to trade for parts that they will need.

eidy:

phew, that’s a relief.

where does Gold-en rank in comparison to Book it

31. justDOit says:

Lowetide: the PLUS side is all the new hires are gold. Nurse, the Russian kids, Roy, all the WHL kids. Gold-en.

I agree that all those picks seem solid to great, but there is one golden thing that I never want – a shower. So I hope they’re not like that.

32. eidy says:

I agree that things are looking up with the prospects

2010: Marincin has been a revelation, Pitlick showed well, Hamilton needs to see a wtich doctor
    2011: Klefbom, Gernat, Musil, and Simpson are intriguing. Would be nice to see one emerge ala petry in his battle with wild and chorney, and Petry wasn’t the favorite
    2012: Moroz, Khaira, and McCarron will get a chance to be the guy with size that can play with skill
    2013: discounting Campbell, they all look to be on pace to cover the bet. Chase has been fantastic although I was hoping he would be playing more centre. Platzer has picked it up with Owen Sound (another goal tonight), Houck has been much bettr and I really liked what I saw from Slepyshev in the world Juniors. He was the captain, a leader, top line, powerplay, penalty kill and looks to be able to provide a wicked slap shot from the right side which the oilers don’t have

33. sliderule says:

Sam Bennett with a goal and two assists the 3-2 win.

To me that is impressive when you figure in all three of your teams goals.

34. eidy says:

sliderule,

and a June 1996 birthday, 7 months+ younger than Reinhart and Draissaitl

35. Ducey says:

A story on Hartikainen

Hmm. Yeah, the Oilers are not a winning organization so he must be good. Great argument.

More likely is that the Oilers are not a winning organization and he couldn’t even stick here, so he sucks.

Platzer with a PP goal tonight.

Chase with another goal tonight. 49, 29-26-55.

Lowetide: I think you’ll see some fast tracking this summer/fall in regard to Nurse, the Russians and Chase. Sign them all up, long look, maybe a few NHL games for Nurse.

Chase is a January 1st birthday and cannot be moved to the AHL next year.

NHL or CHL.

He’s not making the Oilers next year.

Woodguy: Chase is a January 1st birthday and cannot be moved to the AHL next year.

NHL or CHL.

He’s not making the Oilers next year.

Or Anton Lander.

Lowetide: No, but we could see him deep into training camp and pre-season. There are ways to push a player forward—as a for instance, there’s very little doubt about how the Oilers feel about Darnell Nurse.

Or Anton Lander.

I hope that Todd Nelson is on the Oilers staff next year.

Lander needs a champion on staff.

Woodguy: I hope that Todd Nelson is on the Oilers staff next year.

Lander needs a champion on staff.

The day above, the one where MacT recalled Hartikainen? Recalled Lander.

Same day.

41. eidy says:

and now an assist to go with it

42. spoiler says:

The first MacT draft is absolutely golden. Scintillatingly golden. Makes me wonder how much emphasis to put on the scouting staff when we see a team make it’s selections.

I am really loving everything MacT does and has done. And I could gush on.

And I am expecting the unexpected. It would not surprise me to see a deal involving the 1st and Philly. They’re the most likely to overpay for the pick. They certainly couldn’t be accused of being afraid to ship players out of town.

I don’t think there’s a big chance of a blockbuster, but if there’s a good one there, I don’t doubt the size of MacT’s balls. Unlike Bumbellini’s.

Does the 1st, Gagner, Schultz/Belov to Philly buy you any shiny things?

43. The Great One says:

Where in the world is Richard Cloutier?

Boyle as it turns out.

44. spoiler says:

Woodguy made a good point earlier with respect to Schultz’s skating. Nick Schultz is a far better skater than Fraser. I would say skating is his most plus skill.

But I suspect the Oil went to Schultz and offered an extension and it was rejected. Either on money or Nick would like a playoff run. I suspect that Fraser is thus insurance because Schultz has to be moved.

MacT loves insurance… Grebeshkov, the Barber, Bachman, Acton, Horak, Broissoit, Hendricks…

Get a pick for Schultz and cover his spot with a tryout asset at no cost.

spoiler:

But I suspect the Oil went to Schultz and offered an extension and it was rejected.Either on money or Nick would like a playoff run.I suspect that Fraser is thus insurance because Schultz has to be moved.

Get a pick for Schultz and cover his spot with a tryout asset at no cost.

I see no reason why the Oilers would offer N.Shultz an extension.

He’s not an NHLer any more.

46. Ducey says:

VAN losses to WPG. Now 3-7 in their last ten with three losses in a row.

Whoooowaaaah!

47. OilClog says:

Gio for the 1st.

Seems like a Burke move, if anyway Burke can get involved against Philly.. Hopefully MacT nails it.

48. mumbai max says:

Ducey:
    VAN losses to WPG.Now 3-7 in their last ten with three losses in a row.

Whoooowaaaah!

I second that emotion.

49. Lois Lowe says:

spoiler: The first MacT draft is absolutely golden.Scintillatingly golden.Makes me wonder how much emphasis to put on the scouting staff when we see a team make it’s selections.

We also loved the MacGregor draft that brought in Pitlick et al. during the season that followed. Prospects seem to lose their way from draft +2 on.

Also, Guns n Roses Use Your Illusion II is a fantastic album. Pure LA rock. Pure pre-Nirvana.

50. AZOIL says:

Lowetide: Makes sense, they need offense. Oilers would no doubt kill for one of those big wingers.

Clifford?

51. flyfish1168 says:

My aviator jinx is working on the Nucks

52. Funman says:

Lowetide: good eye, Smith.

This is my first post and I hate to critique but Fraser didn’t get a penalty for that hit.

53. Andy P says:

OilClog:
    Gio for the 1st.

Only trade players that you are prepared to play against. Do we want to play against our 1st round pick and/or Eberle? or Gags?
    Maybe Gags but he doesn’t get Gio. Nor will MacT trade his good players, which is why I’m hoping that Hemmers stays here with an appropriate extension. Im so glad MacT is showing quite a large measure of common sense.

AZOIL: Clifford?

That’s why I’ll never be happy with the eventual trade. I don’t even know if I’d be happy with Dwight King.

55. Andy P says:

I’ve just read here
    – that Fraser was not concussed when he fractured his skull on the Lucic shot last year, and his knee injury was an MCL not an ACL. IIRC MCL is not nearly as bad as ACL nor does it take as long to recover.

So perhaps Fraser can play as well as he did last year after all, given the appropriate pairing. We’ll see over the next few games as he settles in, more so after the break. Good to see that he and Eakins have a really good relationship, Eakins has another supporter in the room, and I understand the kids asked for more grit and growl a while back. Gazdick, Hendricks, Fraser, and now Jones wrapping his arm around people’s necks.

I personally don’t like seeing Jones fight. Yes, he needs to fight but it’s like putting a red setter out there against a bunch of Rottweiler’s. Able to fight but feisty does not equal aggressive.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, I’m not saying he should not fight, just that he is doing it because he has to, not because he wants to, and it shows.

Andy P,

Fraser had a 1069 PDO last year.

Its almost impossible to achieve and certainly impossible to replicate.

Fraser is a place holder.

That is all.

57. Ribs says:

Woodguy,

I guess the issue is how much a of a problem a placeholder is. Aaron Johnson was an okay placeholder, and more was given up for him. Can Fraser be as “okay” as Aaron Johnson? We’ll see, I suppose. At this point of the season it really doesn’t matter much. Low risk move. If it works, it works. If not, see ya.

You can argue that he’s taking ice time away from Klefbom and the other prospects but I can see the reasoning behind keeping them away from a losing season, and I think injuries will grant them a (smaller) chance anyway. The defense is brittle enough right now. Adding more youngsters to the mix is just asking for trouble. There is still a good chunk of games left to be played.

58. kooler says:

Here’s the new kid. Bit of grit.

Can we pick up Stewart as well.

59. art vandelay says:

Lowetide: Boston usually likes heavier players. That said, I think Hemsky could be a major boost to their skill lines, maybe pick up a guy like Eriksson. And give him Bergeron as a center and it could work out like a charm.

Are you saying that if the Oilers trade away Hemsky it’ll be the end of their 184-Pound Marriage?

60. speeds says:

I liked a lot of what EDM did on draft day. At the same time, it was regarded as a deep draft, and EDM had a lot of picks. It should be promising at this point – if it weren’t that would be a serious red flag.

Even given that, would you not trade Nurse for Nichushkin today, given the chance?

Ribs,

The Barons are 14th in a 15 team conference.

Its not like staying down there is keeping them from a losing season.

62. book¡je says:

Days half over, where’s the Game Day Post?

63. Pouzar says:

book¡je,

Yes. I have already had 2 coffees and it’s -100 out here.
    I need a GD thread!

64. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Its not like staying down there is keeping them from a losing season.

Obviously eases the transition according to the management. No worries transferring the culture from league to league.

65. hunter1909 says:

Love the Oilers. Just as I’m happily anticipating the draft, they start playing great and go on a winning tear.

Now I’m worrying about them dropping out of the top 5.

66. hunter1909 says:

Methinks if Eakins manages to hold onto his job he’s going to remember for the rest of his life just how thin the ice underneath his feet was prior to this sensational 3 game W turnaround.

67. hunter1909 says:

As a fan of Orwell’s 1984, I’m feeling like I’m in Room 101, with the bullet entering my brain and “Kevin Lowe and MacT are great hockey minds, these guys are geniuses it’s only a matter of time” running through my final thoughts.

68. Marc says:

speeds: I liked a lot of what EDM did on draft day.At the same time, it was regarded as a deep draft, and EDM had a lot of picks.It should be promising at this point – if it weren’t that would be a serious red flag.

I wouldn’t.

Nurse is the only prospect in the system that projects to be a top pairing D. Given that the Oilers don’t have any top pairing D on the current team, that’s a pretty big organisational need.

Nichushkin, had he been drafted by the Oilers, would project to be their fourth best winger.

Given that the scouting reports prior to the draft had Nurse and Nichushkin pretty close, with most having Nichushkin a bit higher, I don’t see how you can say that taking Nurse was a mistake.

69. Beaker says:

OilClog:
    Gio for the 1st.

Actually seems like a reverse of a Burke move. Who knows dude is nuts anyways

Sure. I would have taken Nichushkin in the first place. Having said that, I don’t think it’s reasonable to suggest Nurse was anything but a quality pick. We know defensemen take time to develop, and Nurse is doing that.

71. Andy P says:

Woodguy,

Thank you.

72. gcw_rocks says:

I am trying to think of any other examples of a team that’s completely out of the playoffs trading for a rental in order to trade UFAs at the deadline and I can’t think of one. Ever. Anyone?

Call ups like Fedun and Klefbom and Grebeshkov are used to plug the holes.

P.S. – they could have waited a week and had Fraser off waivers for nothing.

73. steveb12344 says:

Don’t you think we need a top pairing D-man more than another quality winger? I know there is no guarantees with Nurse, but he’s tracking extremely well up to this point. Everyone is feeling impatient about him now, but in a few years I’m guessing he will have been worth the wait.

I get Nich is a big body, and that’s something we need. However he has played 51 games and only has 6 pim. He’s not exactly Bobby Clark out there. Seems a little more Penneresque to me.

74. steveb12344 says:

gcw_rocks:

Call ups like Fedun and Klefbom and Grebeshkov are used to plug the holes.

P.S. – they could have waited a week and had Fraser off waivers for nothing.

They did get him for nothing, and didn’t have to hope 5 other teams passed on him first.

75. Andy P says:

Hey LT, are you ok today? Wishing you the best.

76. steveb12344 says:

Andy P:
    Hey LT, are you ok today? Wishing you the best.

He’s fine, he had to post a GDT on ON as well today.

77. hunter1909 says:

Featuring Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov and Jordan Eberle, Oilers don’t have to worry about drafting a skilled winger for the next ten years.

It’s elite defense prospects they’re short on.

78. hunter1909 says:

I’m probably the last Sam Gagner fan left. He’s a really good player, provided he’s giving value for his high salary.

He’s like the new Hemsky: A flawed good player.

Hall/RNH/Eberle
    Perron/Gags/Yak

Perfectly good top six.

79. steveb12344 says:

hunter1909:

It’s elite defense prospects they’re short on.

agreed. That and one really good physically dominant offensive centerman

80. steveb12344 says:

hunter1909:

He’s like the new Hemsky: A flawed good player.

Hall/RNH/Eberle
    Perron/Gags/Yak

Perfectly good top six.

I’m starting to have second thoughts as well. After he held out on the team and forced them to pay him like a champ. It’s inexcusable that he’s come out playing like a 5 million dollar chump.

I get the injury had a big impact, but that was 4 months ago now. He should be in peak form by now.

I’m starting to worry he may be one of those players that are just in it for the big payday, and now he’s content with his millions.

P.S. Hope I’m wrong about that Sam!

Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 1m
    For all of our fans back home. Ference, Hemsky, Fraser are all in. Scrivens starts.

Love that Eakins tweets out his line up changes.

82. Andy P says:

hunter1909:

It’s elite defense prospects they’re short on.

Does anybody else think Murray would have been the better choice at the time? (I do now, but I supported the Yak choice then)

83. hunter1909 says:

steveb12344: I’ve always liked Sam too, and believed he has it in him to be a Gilmour type if he ever gets it.

I’m starting to have second thoughts as well.After he held out on the team and forced them to pay him like a champ.It’s inexcusable that he’s come out playing like a 5 million dollar chump.

I get the injury had a big impact, but that was 4 months ago now.He should be in peak form by now.

P.S.Hope I’m wrong about that Sam!

Like Hemsky, Sam hasn’t yet delivered, and that no trade clause might turn out to be his ticket out of Dodge; but no sense in giving away a relatively high end skill player – from his perspective Gagner would be a fool to expect management to naively honor his no trade clause, without first trying to lose him as they must certainly be as we prepare to enjoy another game of Oilers hockey.

84. hunter1909 says:

Andy P: Just wondering, had MacT been GM on the Yak draft, would MacT’s opinion have swung Katz to take Murray instead?

With respect, Yaks is one of my fave Oilers already. He’s like a genius, forced to suffer while fresh out of university teacher Eakins wallows around in the deep end of NHL coaching.

MacT has made me believe in things working out eventually, when he stated for the record that no one is going anywhere. On a team who’s fans have felt the cold blade between their short ribs, this is significant.

85. FastOil says:

Minister D-:
    “Steve Smith”,

Wasn’t a penalty, actually.

Was a penalty, not called. Because NHL – *Rules are for ‘Those’ People*.

86. FastOil says:

Hindsight and all that. Draft the big skill winger and trade Eberle/Yak for a D? Team probably ahead.

I find it ironic that speeds and Showerhead are posting here fairly regularly (meaning they must be finding some peace with the org) and I am hitting the point they seem to have been at a few years ago.

Seriously unimpressed with re-emerging patterns of futility. You’d think they were trying to land an orbiter on Pluto, not simply find a few good hockey players.

87. FastOil says:

hunter1909:

He’s like the new Hemsky: A flawed good player.

Hall/RNH/Eberle
    Perron/Gags/Yak

Perfectly good top six.

As the Sharks game showed. Given a few years experience that Gagner kid is going to be something.

88. Pouzar says:

Nurse all day over Nish or any other stiff in that draft.

He’s going to be better than Pronger. If you disagree I will fight you bare knuckles and you will ose and it will hurt and we won’t be friends and it will be all awkward