SHARKS AT OILERS, G56 13-14

Boyd Gordon is a monster story for the Oilers this season, but players of his type don’t get the ink—unless your team is in game’s that matter. The man is having a terrific season as a two-way checking center, miles from the madding pennant race.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, OILER FORWARDS

oilers forwards

Gordon’s zone starts are so severe the graph can barely contain him, and he plays tough opposition night in and out. As a shutdown center, I don’t think the Oilers can ask any more of him. While I’m at it, interesting to see how the coach is using Mr. Hendricks early and notice Eakins making every effort to get his elite youngsters good zone starts (I don’t known there’s much he can do about the tough opps, those boys are going to have to deal with that until about 2030). And look at old man Smyth!

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, OILER BLUE

oilers defenseJeff Petry plays the toughs, and he plus new mate Marincin get the zone start hell (Marincin’s toughness minutes will move up, too). Ference gets a tough road too, Larsen was playing tougher minutes with a zone push before being lost at sea. We’ll know the coach is happy when there are four bubbles like Marincin’s in the range of Petry’s balloon.

Lafleur, Guy

Men, I could talk about the California/Oakland Seals all day, but one story you’ve no doubt heard is the one where Sam Pollock (spits) dealt Ernie Hicke for a first round pick and ended up with Guy Lafleur. True—well, almost. The actual trade:

hicke tradeAnd of course the picks added in. So, the actual deal (this won’t be found anywhere btw) is Dennis Hextall, Ernie Hicke and #10 overall (Chris Oddleifson) to Montreal for Francois Lacombe and #1 overall (Guy Lafleur). Why did Frank Selke Jr and Bill Torrey make the deal? Well, in 1970 spring the Seals were the playoff team and the Habs were not (seriously) but attendance was crappy. Also, the original 6 teams were hoarding all the good players, to the point where the 1969-70 Habs AHL team was probably better than the Seals. That team was so good Ernie Hicke (who would score 22 goals as an NHL rookie) had been sent to the WHL for his season.

Oakland acquired three players (Hextall, who would have a long run as a rough, tough center; Hicke, who had an uneven tour as a scorer; and Oddleifson who would eventually find his way to the Canucks during a journeyman career) for Lacombe and the pick, but poor old Ernie Hicke is the punch line because NHL history was written out of Montreal in those days.

cat4

Eric Tulsky is the real deal, and writes a brilliant article here. Wonderful logic, and I do wonder if Parkatti’s working on something that will move the conversation forward. Seems to me his approach to “shot quality”, while painstaking, may unwrap some very important information that can be set beside shot differential and shed light on the game.

rnh4

Nuge makes a list!  I think he’s going to emerge as one of the truly sensational centers in the NHL, a player with a complete skill set and an ability to change a game in a variety of ways.

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

arcobello ferguson 1

The verbal surrounding the Leafs these days is incredible. Darren Dreger was on TSN Toronto this morning talking about Dave Nonis refusing to trade Nazem Kadri unless a center comes back, and Bozak’s emerging as a 1C. Toronto the Grate is walking tall these days, and lowly Edmonton can’t buy a thrill—and yet the shot differential in each town is similar.

These Oilers have paid a terrible price for bad goaltending and a pitiful power play. If they can straighten those two things out, maybe 25-30 wins is possible (meaning a very strong end to the year).

I don’t think the Lafleur’s are going to lay down tonight, though. Sam Pollock’s voodoo left town long ago.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

leoni

A busy day, electric show! Beginning at 10 this morning on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, legendary Oiler observer. We’ll talk about Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish.
  • Nathan Dempsey, former NHL player. Our ‘ask the coach’ feature will focus on off-ice training.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk Boyd Gordon and the Oil, plus Greg Chase and Mitchell Moroz.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55 yard line. The Eskimos named their coaching staff, CFL free agency is just ahead and we’ll talk Super Bowl.

10-1260 via text, or @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

468 Responses to "SHARKS AT OILERS, G56 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. G Money says:

Anyone watching the Sportsnet feed still? Who is the anchor with dark hair and glasses?

I find her both annoying and extremely hot.

2. Gerta Rauss says:

The Great One:

On the flip side of the coin…Eriah Heap (Hayes):

damnit…I tried to work that in all night…

3. striatic says:

Gotta hand it to Hall, RNH, Eberle for effectively counterpunching .. but if this doesn’t expose how terrible the Oilers D is, i don’t know what will.

What a night. what a night. What a night.

5. The Great One says:

G Money:
    Anyone watching the Sportsnet feed still?Who is the anchor with dark hair and glasses?

I find her both annoying and extremely hot.

You apparently have some issues that need resolution.

6. "Steve Smith" says:

What a night. what a night. What a night.

Oh, what a garden of delight
    Even now, that sweet memory lingers…

7. G Money says:

The Great One: You apparently have some issues that need resolution.

Too true, my friend. Too true.

8. Pouzar says:

Nuge was awesome tonight. 5 shots, 2 assts and 3 takeaways

9. "Steve Smith" says:

How did Pavelski have zero shots on goal? I feel like I have specific recollection of eight or nine of them.

10. Thiru says:

I’ve been watching the Oilers since ’97, and that is the most sensational performance from a single player I can recall.

Scrivens was CuJo-esque out there.

11. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”:
    How did Pavelski have zero shots on goal?I feel like I have specific recollection of eight or nine of them.

Ha, that’s a bit like last night! The Oilers had zero shots on net in the third, and yet Yak had two of those zero.

12. spoiler says:

MacT’s three big trades:

Perron… leading goal scorer on the team for Paajarvi and a pick
    Scrivens… just broke the NHL shots/shutout record
    Hendricks… grows the team a new set of balls

“Steve Smith”: Oh, what a garden of delight
    Even now, that sweet memory lingers…

Great, great song.

14. B S says:

I think we have a keeper. Put the word out, next MSM to take a cheap shot at Ben’s wife gets a broom up their chimney.

15. LostBoy says:

Scrivens tonight was comparable to Gagner’s 8 points. Sorry, just checking in late, dunno if the point has already been made. That was a historic performance. One of the great goaltending performances of the modern era. Most shots stopped in a shutout since the 1967 NHL expansion. Utterly amazing.

16. Lucinius says:

As a former goalie, I can but say this;

This was the goalie equivalent to a forward scoring the winning goal in game seven.

Scrivens was absolutely fantastic. His positional play was astounding. His reflexes were amazing. His anticipation was godly.

This was the best performance I’ve seen from a goaltender. Ever.

Honestly, right now, the goalie Scrivens reminds me the most of is Ranford and that’s dangerous; Ranford was an absolutely amazing goalie for the Oilers.. and was utterly destroyed by the Oilers.

17. spoiler says:

G Money: I find her both annoying and extremely hot.

I was thinking the same thing… you’re hot, but please don’t speak.

18. G Money says:

G Money: The Oilers had zero shots on net in the third

Should read “zero shots on net early in the third”.

19. The Great One says:

What a night. what a night. What a night.

I’ve been watching NHL hockey since the 1950′s and I’ve never seen a better goaltending performance.

And it wasn’t that Scrivens made a bunch of flukey saves.

He was in position for EVERY shot.

Just an amazing performance.

20. G Money says:

spoiler: I was thinking the same thing… you’re hot, but please don’t speak.

I’m confused – you find *her* hot, or *me* hot? I’ll assume the latter. Thanks!

21. Pouzar says:

Just enjoying Hall and Eberle on the first page of the NHL.com scoring leaderboard!

22. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

Please don’t speak.

23. spoiler says:

G Money: I’m confused – you find *her* hot, or *me* hot? I’ll assume the latter. Thanks!

Uh uhhhh. Ypu’re the worst kind of ugly… Boy Ugly. There’s just no overcoming that level of genetic defect.

24. Thiru says:

spoiler:
    MacT’s three big trades:

Perron… leading goal scorer on the team for Paajarvi and a pick
    Scrivens… just broke the NHL shots/shutout record
    Hendricks… grows the team a new set of balls

WE WON THREE GAMES IN A ROW!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH

25. AZOIL says:

gogliano,

Ya I looked that up but wasn’t sure if I wanted to get to Lawyer Like on here. But it fits kinda!

26. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lost in all the hubbub about Bivens tonight is the fact that Taylor Hall is now sitting 11th in scoring. 54 points in 49 games makes for just over 1.1 ppg. I’m sure that’d put him in the top 10, if not top 5, if he hadn’t lost those games to injury.

27. Pouzar says:

Man I was gonna put my whole bet365 account on the Sharks tonite but didn’t get a chance to.

28. Oilanderp says:

I think Mr. Scrivens might be a hidden Master. He spoke about how you need a good team in front of you and some great luck to put on a performance like that. Then he went out of his way to speak extremely well of Nick Schultz – a guy who could use some psi put back into his tires. Classy guy, Mr. Scrivens.

29. Numenius says:

Scrivens now with a .955 SV% with the Oil.

Forget corgis.

30. spoiler says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Looks like that would place him in 5th in PPG, just behind Ovechkin and ahead of Kane.

Edit: 6th, sorry, Malkin gets bumped up too.

31. G Money says:

Lucinius: If the Oilers had Scrivens from the start of the season we’d either be a good 10-15 points higher in the standings or Scrivens would be right beside Dubnyk on getting washed out from the league.

I dunno … the first five games of the season, the Oilers gave up: 28, 44, 25, 27, and 26 shots.

They outshot the opposition every game except the 44-shot debacle against Vancouver.

They ended up 1-3-1 and gave up 25 goals during those 5 games.

If we had the Scrivens we’ve seen the last two games in net for those first five games, I do believe the Oilers probably go 4-1, their confidence and buy-in to the system soars instead of breaks, and we might be looking at a different team. Might.

That’s all conjecture, but I think it’s fair to say that the main thing that washed Dubnyk out was Dubnyk.

32. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Please don’t speak.

You just can’t muzzle *this* kind of greatness.

33. B S says:

nobody else (outside of here) seems to realize that Scrivens broke an NHL record.

34. Ducey says:

Greg Chase with a goal tonight.

35. czar says:

It was just this morning on your show you talked about when was the last time our goalie won us a game?

Maybe next game you can bring up Yak’s last hat trick??

36. G Money says:

Derek,

Forget the Corgis! Bring on the Gators!

37. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Well played sir. Well played.

38. czar says:

G Money,

G Money: Derek, Forget the Corgis! Bring on the Gators!

My Mastiff loves a good corgi on game day

39. G Money says:

czar,

I’m just sincerely hoping that your avatar is *not* in fact a picture of a Bull Mastiff munching on a Corgi!!! Or are you thinking of a new nickname for Scrivens? Ben “Bull Mastiff” Scrivens? Has a certain ring …

40. Rocknrolla says:

Pouzar:

Also scriven leads nhl in save percentage! Amazing what a 1.00 will do for that average.

41. G Money says:

Rocknrolla,

Good thing we didn’t trade for that Bishop loser!

42. fifthcartel says:

Also, Hall hits a career high in points tonight, 54.

43. G Money says:

Pouzar:

The Nuge is closing the gap on that first page as well.

44. czar says:

G Money,

A corgi’s a good meal, he’s lucky to get one.

45. Rocknrolla says:

G Money:
    Rocknrolla,

Good thing we didn’t trade for that Bishop loser!

Ya what a bum….could this be a turning point? A rallying point?

I don’t know but it sure feels good and sometimes you just need a little bit of that confidence, win streak, smiles etc to get your MOJO back and get on the right track. No Defence, but I’m proud of this team gutting it out.

46. G Money says:

Oops, after watching the game then spending my time doing some random blabbing on these pages, I better go spend a bit o time with the wife … see ya, and shout out to the shutout y’all!

47. striatic says:

G Money: Let us pause for a moment and daydream of the day – not far off – when those three guys plus Yak are all up in that first page.

The kids are alright.

This is why I hated early in the season, guys slagging Hall, RNH and Eberle. Not on this site, but elsewhere.

These guys are not the problem. Even great players can’t singlehandedly prop up a team over the course of a season. They are only 3 players. They represent only half the team on the ice at any one time, and they only are on the ice for a third of the game.

I truly hope that at the end of the season, when people look at this team’s horrible, not good, very bad record, that they don’t turn on the kids.

48. striatic says:

odd, double posted.

49. striatic says:

Rocknrolla,

People were saying the win over the Pens might be a turning point.

This team is going to continue to be really bad, and we saw why more than ever tonight. Never has this team’s problems been clearer.

50. flyfish1168 says:

Gagner made a horrible play, saved by Yakupov. That’s bass ackwards, the veteran C picks up the kid. Good on the Russian, 89 poor tonight.

Not sure why eakins benched yak for most of the 3rd and Gagner still saw lots of ice time at the end of the game.

51. dangilitis says:

In the last 2 weeks, the Oilers have traded the goalie tied for last place in the league in SPG to the goalie who currently leads the league in SPG. So much for the theory that the goalie’s SPG must plummet upon entering Edmonton. We will be talking about this game 4 years from now when Scrivens is starting for the team in the playoffs.

MacTavish is probably going drinking tonight.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog: Nothing more then family chatter.

.. 2-0.. This is a mirage

are you related to him somehow?

53. striatic says:

BTW, tonight a Vancouver fan threw their jersey on the ice in a 5-2 loss to Chicago.

While their team is 3 points out of a playoff spot, with a game in hand.

54. oilersfan says:

Anybody see Marincin cf% is 12 tonight. I guess he wasn’t ready for top pairing minutes against Thornton et al hey?

55. DeadmanWaking says:

This morning I thought if we won this game, Eakins would sleep like a baby for the first time since October. After that game, I think he’ll sleep like a baby dreaming of a baby’s mobile mutating into a hornet swarm of crease-crashing larvae descending in dense ranks which he fends off all night using his lightning-quick soother hand. I bet he wakes up tomorrow morning feeling totally beat.

On the CHED feed Stauffer was pretty much speechless for the last half of the game. Oh, the adjectives he must have swallowed. Yak was mostly mentioned when he made a halfway decent play, but over at Cult Willis’s game grade summary tells a vastly different story.

Credit: I cribbed that picture from My Tribute to GALAGA.

56. spoiler says:

Jesus T. Shattenkirk that was a horrible game by everyone not named Scrivens.

Larsen had the best Corsi among all players with the 5th most TOI among D.

No D had a TOI in the 24 minute plus orbit, no F had a 22 minute plus night.

That’s Eakins recognizing he had a tired team–three games in four nights and coming off an emotional win against the fading Dys.

We’re not as bad as we were tonight, and they’re not as good. But we’re nowhere near as good as them.

Some of that is the kids need to get a little older. Some of that is the team needs to be upgraded. There’s time, but the kids are close and the little time that’s there needs to be used well.

I think MacT is full value for what he has accomplished so far.

People pooh pooh moves like bringing in Grebeshkov, but that’s a great example of what MacT does well. Grebs was Belov insurance. Some Euros just don’t take to the league, you never know, despite their abilities. But Most vet dmen wouldn’t come here with that prospect ahead of them, covering for a player who could send them to OKC, but MacT got Grebs to. Cost us nothing but Katz’s money. And you never know at the time, that Grebs half of the bet might work out. The short leg of the hedge (it didn’t). That’s far smarter and proactive than Tambo who would have nothing to cover the Belov bet, assuming he ever found the guy.

Not that Belov is a force out there, but he’s still an upgrade on last year’s bottom pair. The better players you have the better trades you can make; improve by increments. If the opposing guy is running a full prevent defense, take the yardage given to you.

If the GM can remain this astute for the next six months, we will be icing a better team next year than this year. The trick will be in how to introduce and acclimate all the young defencemen to the league and still win.

57. misfit says:

B S:

Did he? I thought it was just a team record.

58. spoiler says:

Wow TSN did a much better job of The Shutout than SN did.

59. Ducey says:

Well said, coach.

60. spoiler says:

Ducey: “That’s how I thought our skaters were playing the game; they were watching Ben play,” said Oilers coach Dallas Eakins who wasn’t particularly happy despite the win. “It was an incredible thing to watch, I’ve never seen that before. I’m so happy for Ben and proud of him and then you’re mad at the same time.”

Well said, coach.

Yeah. They won Krueger style tonight.

61. spoiler says:

“Hats off to the goaltender, he was tremendous,” said San Jose coach Todd McLellan. “Probably first, second and third star. If he wasn’t he deserved it. Heck of a performance. In all my years in the league I don’t think I’ve seen that. We attempted 100 shots on goal, that doesn’t happen very often.”

62. hags9k says:

1G

63. Zelepukin says:

oh please god don’t let Scrivens pull a Gagner and go from record-breaking performance to earning an overpaying contract to playing like utter shite.

64. russ99 says:

1. Scrivens – what an incredible performance. Haven’t seen an Oiler goalie do that since Cujo. Sign him up, MacT!

2. Would be nice to not let them have 59 shots, some shifts in the third were Shift of Doom-esque, couldn’t get the puck out of the D zone, needs improvement.

3. That’s how you play offense vs. the Sharks. Someone’s paying attention. Carry the puck in and get shots on the goalie. Nice to see minimal dumping (and minimal lazy zone entry passes) against a team who wants us to do that. Kept the Shark defense on their toes all night.

65. gcw_rocks says:

Sorry I missed seeing that goaltending performance.

One hundred shot attempts against? That’s the number that odd probably most important out off this game. As fun as it was, this does not bold well.

Now very ready for the oilers to overpay Scrivens.

66. Pouzar says:

Too early to put another plus in the MacT performance evaluation? :)

67. Captain Smarmy says:

Well they should probably wait to talk contract with Ben after he gives up seven at some point down the road. :)

« Older Comments