SHARKS AT OILERS, G56 13-14

Boyd Gordon is a monster story for the Oilers this season, but players of his type don’t get the ink—unless your team is in game’s that matter. The man is having a terrific season as a two-way checking center, miles from the madding pennant race.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, OILER FORWARDS

oilers forwards

Gordon’s zone starts are so severe the graph can barely contain him, and he plays tough opposition night in and out. As a shutdown center, I don’t think the Oilers can ask any more of him. While I’m at it, interesting to see how the coach is using Mr. Hendricks early and notice Eakins making every effort to get his elite youngsters good zone starts (I don’t known there’s much he can do about the tough opps, those boys are going to have to deal with that until about 2030). And look at old man Smyth!

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER, OILER BLUE

oilers defenseJeff Petry plays the toughs, and he plus new mate Marincin get the zone start hell (Marincin’s toughness minutes will move up, too). Ference gets a tough road too, Larsen was playing tougher minutes with a zone push before being lost at sea. We’ll know the coach is happy when there are four bubbles like Marincin’s in the range of Petry’s balloon.

Lafleur, Guy

Men, I could talk about the California/Oakland Seals all day, but one story you’ve no doubt heard is the one where Sam Pollock (spits) dealt Ernie Hicke for a first round pick and ended up with Guy Lafleur. True—well, almost. The actual trade:

hicke tradeAnd of course the picks added in. So, the actual deal (this won’t be found anywhere btw) is Dennis Hextall, Ernie Hicke and #10 overall (Chris Oddleifson) to Montreal for Francois Lacombe and #1 overall (Guy Lafleur). Why did Frank Selke Jr and Bill Torrey make the deal? Well, in 1970 spring the Seals were the playoff team and the Habs were not (seriously) but attendance was crappy. Also, the original 6 teams were hoarding all the good players, to the point where the 1969-70 Habs AHL team was probably better than the Seals. That team was so good Ernie Hicke (who would score 22 goals as an NHL rookie) had been sent to the WHL for his season.

Oakland acquired three players (Hextall, who would have a long run as a rough, tough center; Hicke, who had an uneven tour as a scorer; and Oddleifson who would eventually find his way to the Canucks during a journeyman career) for Lacombe and the pick, but poor old Ernie Hicke is the punch line because NHL history was written out of Montreal in those days.

cat4

Eric Tulsky is the real deal, and writes a brilliant article here. Wonderful logic, and I do wonder if Parkatti’s working on something that will move the conversation forward. Seems to me his approach to “shot quality”, while painstaking, may unwrap some very important information that can be set beside shot differential and shed light on the game.

rnh4

Nuge makes a list!  I think he’s going to emerge as one of the truly sensational centers in the NHL, a player with a complete skill set and an ability to change a game in a variety of ways.

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

arcobello ferguson 1

The verbal surrounding the Leafs these days is incredible. Darren Dreger was on TSN Toronto this morning talking about Dave Nonis refusing to trade Nazem Kadri unless a center comes back, and Bozak’s emerging as a 1C. Toronto the Grate is walking tall these days, and lowly Edmonton can’t buy a thrill—and yet the shot differential in each town is similar.

These Oilers have paid a terrible price for bad goaltending and a pitiful power play. If they can straighten those two things out, maybe 25-30 wins is possible (meaning a very strong end to the year).

I don’t think the Lafleur’s are going to lay down tonight, though. Sam Pollock’s voodoo left town long ago.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

leoni

A busy day, electric show! Beginning at 10 this morning on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, legendary Oiler observer. We’ll talk about Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish.
  • Nathan Dempsey, former NHL player. Our ‘ask the coach’ feature will focus on off-ice training.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk Boyd Gordon and the Oil, plus Greg Chase and Mitchell Moroz.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55 yard line. The Eskimos named their coaching staff, CFL free agency is just ahead and we’ll talk Super Bowl.

10-1260 via text, or @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

468 Responses to "SHARKS AT OILERS, G56 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Pouzar says:

That was fast!

Thank you LT.

2. flyfish1168 says:

Coming into the game with some confidence. Hopefully our 2nd line will continue with the good play of late.

Oilers in for a tough test tonight.

Good goaltending may hold them in a game and if Scrivens starts you can actually have confidence that it may happen.

EDM is 24th in HomeFen with 49.1%
    SJS is 1st in RoadFen with 54.2%

SJS also has a better powerplay and a better PK.

That being said, the Oilers are playing better than their averages, including the PP, lately.

Tough game, but with some luck they can win it, which is a much sunnier forecast than if SJS had come into EDM a week ago.

Better goaltending, better team defence, better performance by lines 2 and 4.

Hope.

Go Oilers!!

*clap, clap*

If Marincin is the real deal, and all early reports are much better than we could have hoped, then its like finding lost gold.

EDM fans have been conditioned for years that only 1st rounders make an impact on the NHL team and having a 46th overall pick become a fixture on the blue would be Magnificent.

An immediate impact is that the left side of the D now looks like:

1st Paring Man
    Ference
    Marincin
    Klef

Right side
    Petry
    J.Shutlz
    3rd pairing Vet

The 3rd pairing RH vet will be easy to procure, but instead of 2 top 4 Dmen needed, it brings it down to 1.

So that brings what MacT really needs down to 1LHD, 2C, 1G as the massive holes on the roster.

Marincin filling the role on the left side (and he may pass Ference soon than later) means the Oilers do not need to give up other assets to fill that hole.

That’s huge.

That’s like 2 extra players, because you’re not giving up a player to fill the hole that Marincin fills.

Found gold.

Need more.

5. justDOit says:

I hope the boys can channel their inner Fonzie tonight.

6. thejonrmcleod says:

I asked Corey Pronman how he’d rank Marinicin, Klefbom, and Nurse. Not surprisingly, he ranked them (1) Nurse, (2) Klefbom, (3) Marincin. Now imagine if the Oilers were able to draft Ekblad (whom most would probably rank ahead of Nurse). The Oilers would have Petry, J. Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Ekblad. I know I’m dreaming, and probably at least one of them will turn out to be a flop. But that’s a group of defensemen with loads of potential.

7. D says:

Man, with all the Oiler troubles over the last several years, it’s easy to forget than RNH can be mentioned in the same category as Stamkos and Tavares without Chris Johnston even blinking an eye.

8. Pajamah says:

@LT and pretty much every poster here

…and I do have to give credit to the posters. Really.

Thanks for the in depth look at prospects. I’ve been a hockey fan since 85, and an Oiler fan since the mid 90′s. The first real Oiler team I felt attached to was the Todd Marchant, CuJo team that beat Dallas.

Since I found this site, and since the team itself started circling the drain, I’ve put more focus into prospects, and up and comers. From Schremp, to Riley Nash, Colten Teubert, etc. I’ve never really found myself gravitating to one specific prospect.

That definitely changed with Marincin. I remember reading about him here as the gangly kid in a small town with broken English. Watching him destroy that one American kid in the WJ, to his time in OKC, I was pulling for him to become an everyday big leaguer.

By the grace of gord, he’s damn near there, and it’s much more fun as a fan who is emotionally invested in a player. Best of luck to Martin, and thanks again to all here, for helping us fans dig deeper into the team we all love.

thejonrmcleod:

Pronman has Nurse ahead of Ekblad

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Should this article make mention of the Gunds? I do love a good mention of the Gunds.

Romulus Apotheosis:

I was going to mention it, but it got too long.

12. Snowman says:

I agree with Woodguy on the lost gold. Suddenly MacT’s list actually looks like it could possibly get done in one summer. I still have my doubts about Eakins and the other coaches (more the other coaches than Eakins but its tough to seperate one from the other at this point). I have very little doubt MacT will get the job done.

For the first time in too long I see light at the end of the tunnel and I’m not thinking it’s a train.

Hopefully we play with the swagger we played with against Van and Nash and catch the Sharks a little unprepared for an inspired performance by the youngsters.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Dennis Hextall, Ernie Hicke and #10 overall (Chris Oddleifson) to Montreal for Francois Lacombe and #1 overall (Guy Lafleur).”

I think you mean “to Oakland” here.

————
    The EDM-TOR thing has been on-going all year.

The biggest item for me out of Toronto is the way they perceive the difference between the two goalies.

Bernier EVSV% – .934
    Reimer EVSV% – .926

That’s a sizeable gap, but in a limited sample size not gargantuan. A couple good games can still swing it radically. But the way they are discussed by the Big Stupid media is in really stark, dumb broad strokes.

14. thejonrmcleod says:

Interesting.

Unlike many Oiler fans, I’m not crazy about trying to trade for a guy like Weber (since teams would probably ask for Nurse, plus, plus, plus in return).

15. G Money says:

More advanced stats goodness:

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I was going to mention it, but it got too long.

Consider my post a needed corrective measure.

———-
    Off topic: Nolan is going to play Omark against us on Mon. right? he follows the “play against old team” logic like all the others?

17. Pouzar says:

J.Shutlz
    3rd pairing Vet

That’s huge.

Found gold.

Need more.

Nice Post.

Marincin is playing out the string and he will be on the team next year.
    I don’t wanna read any anal retentive posts that claim otherwise. The kid is good.

18. TeeVee says:

Woodguy:

An immediate impact is that the left side of the D now looks like:

1st Paring Man
    Ference
    Marincin
    Klef

Right side
    Petry
    J.Shutlz
    3rd pairing Vet

That’s huge.

Found gold.

Need more.

Lowetide: I was going to mention it, but it got too long.

Also got caught by the emergency profanity filter.

The filter is only activated when it reads “Gund” “Pollack” and 24 different expletives in one paragraph.

TeeVee: With Marincin playing so well with Petry, doesn’t mean he’s already passed Ference on that depth chart?

A little early to make that call.

Young D rarely get this good, this quick, without going through tough stretches.

Can even have a whole year of regression.

The saying “not counting your chickens before they are hatched” was coined in reference to NHL Dmen.

21. Pouzar says:

What do the analytic guys think of Mark Stuart? My Jets lackeys here love him.

22. Pouzar says:

LT,

We need a pic of Dennis King…I keep picturing Shaun Majumder :P

23. flyfish1168 says:

Having the last change tonight I wonder who will play against the Thornton line. I would go with the Gordon line where there is a defensive zone faceoff and RNH in the offensive zone. Thoughts

got my aviator working.

24. book¡je says:

Marincin is blue, Marincin is blue!!!!!! On the Oilers!!!!

25. justDOit says:

JJ with a sense of humor:

“It’s good to get some sunlight into the cave once in a while,”

26. Ryan says:

great stuff.

Lordy. Marincin. I don’t care if it’s only 17 games. A blue bubble with the worst zone starts on the OILERS. wow.

27. justDOit says:

From the game report:

Injury report: San Jose defenseman Scott Hannan (upper body) and forwards Logan Couture (hand), Marty Havlat (lower body), Tomas Hertl (knee), Adam Burish (lower body) and Raffi Torres (knee) remain on injured reserve.

I hope none of those fine men are in pain, but I’m glad they’re not playing tonight.

28. Pretendergast says:

Any thoughts on Callahan? He plays a perfect 2c hard nosed game but has his flaws, and he’s 29. If the deal he’s looking for is what the article states it’s too much, but getting a guy who’s all heart with some reasonable talent, playoff experience, leadership, PK, and probably has 5 more years of being useful id look closely if I were macT.

29. alice13 says:

Flyfish -

That’s just beauty, we should all get us some shirts and car flags.

Nicely done!

30. Ducey says:

Ryan:

great stuff.

Lordy.Marincin.I don’t care if it’s only 17 games.A blue bubble with the worst zone starts on the OILERS.wow.

Worst zone starts among D. There are 6 forwards with worse zone starts – Jones, Hendricks, Gordon, Smyth, Joensuu, and Lander.

The guy that is remarkable is Smyth. Still playing relatively well in a shutdown role at C.

31. Pouzar says:

Pretendergast:

Callahan is a winger no???

32. Pouzar says:

Scrivens IN

33. gvblackhawk says:

Pouzar,

I think he plays right wing, not center.

34. russ99 says:

5 bucks says they dump and chase on the Sharks, just like last time, leading to instant turnovers in the offensive zone and minimal scoring chances.

Tonight would be a good night for Eakins to prove he can adapt the gameplan.

35. Pretendergast says:

Pouzar,

Good gord, always thought captain Callahan centred his line, now I see him as a more expensive Perron, forget that Yankee, though I do stand by he’s another one of those hard to play against vets that could be useful if a winger heads out of town for a real 2c or 1LD.

36. gvblackhawk says:

flyfish1168:

got my aviator working.

Hilarious avatar!

37. Ducey says:

Pouzar: Callahan is a winger no???

He has only taken 9 faceoffs all yr, so I think you are correct.

38. Pouzar says:

Pretendergast:
    Pouzar,

Good gord, always thought captain Callahan centred his line, now I see him as a more expensive Perron, forget that Yankee, though I do stand by he’s another one of those hard to play against vets that could be useful if a winger heads out of town for a real 2cor 1LD.

Yup…if he was a Center then I would be all in

39. flyfish1168 says:

alice13:
    Flyfish -

That’s just beauty, we should all get us some shirts and car flags.

Nicely done!

My way of bringing bad karma to the nucks. They are old and dirty instead of gritty. I seem to have more of a hate on them than the Phlegms lately.

40. Caramel Obvious says:

Pouzar:
    What do the analytic guys think of Mark Stuart? My Jets lackeys here love him.

I think Stuart is terrible. I believe the numbers agree.

41. Pouzar says:

Caramel Obvious: I think Stuart is terrible.I believe the numbers agree.

Roger that thx.

42. Bag of Pucks says:

A little late to the ‘Bitch’ thread from yesterday, but I’m curious as to why the narrative on Tambellini’s hiring now lays the blame solely at Lowe’s feet?

I recall the reportage at the time indicating that Katz was the primary driver behind that decision?

Iirc, Lowe spun it as needing the extra help, but we was clearly nonplussed at the prospect of:

1) giving up some of his power, however negligible that sacrifice proved to be
    &
    2) going outside the hallowed boys club to hire Tambellini.

It very much seemed as the time that Katz was trying to inject new blood into the mix. Btw, it’s convenient to forget it now, but Tambellini WAS the fashionable GM in waiting candidate at the time, just as Eakins’ was the fashionable coaching hire last year. The Failers™ are nothing if not trendy in their recruitment methodology.

Given the above, I would suspect that Tambellini’s poor performance on the job only cemented the validity of the ‘old boys’ approach in the minds of men like Lowe and MacT (i.e. look what happened when we went outside the club before!).

Like most men who’ve created institutions awash in systemic failure, Lowe demonstrates an incredible capability for finding excuses and rationalizing poor decisions. One suspects he could even justify losing Corey Perry over his ridiculous salary payback demands with Comrie.

That said, while I question MacT’s rash public proclamations and inability to address the starting G going into this season, I do think both Eakins & MacT deserve the benefit of another year. Lowe should go, but Katz has his back until the season ticket base drops appreciably. Talking to people around town, that seems unlikely to happen. All the season ticket sheep are holding onto their prized ducats cos they don’t want to lose them and go to the back of the line for the new arena.

If one is so inclined, one can find many parallels between Failers™ season ticket holders and heroin addicts.

43. justDOit says:

Not to complain on the heels of a two game winning steak, but Eakins’ mantra, ‘we want to go into the game thinking we’ll win 1 – 0′, seems contrary to the makeup of the team. I’ve heard him use this line a couple of times now, and it still doesn’t sit right with me. I guess it’s his way of summarizing the defensive mindset that is needed to be a contender in this league.

44. Caramel Obvious says:

Pouzar: Roger that thx.

To follow up.

Worst Corsi and Fenwick % amongst regular D, playing on third pairing, with moderate D zone starts. Most regular partner is Ellerbe and then Troube, though Ellerbe has slightly better numbers.

Considering he brings zero offense and is roughly comparable to Ellerbe I think that sums it up well. Not the kind of player that helps.

45. FastOil says:

I am not sure hiring Tambellini is outside of the old boys club. The circle is a little wider in that it includes the Islanders. Tambellini was breaking in on the Isles during their run. The love of the Sutters is rooted their as well I think, combined with the Alberta thing.

It helps explain Tambellini’s hiring I think.

46. bendelson says:

If memory serves correctly, LT and just about everyone else on this blog strongly suggetsted the Oilers go after Gordon last summer. It seemed a clear and obvious choice for the Oilers. MacT made it happen… and holy shit, it worked out (not like always but much, much better!)

So my question is this…

Is it time to start the campaign to find a way to get a deal done with Kulemin this summer? Another key addition in the same vein as Gordon? I think so.

A 3rd line of Gordon, Hendricks and Kulemin (he plays both wings yes?) sounds pretty darn good.

A few talking points about the move: heavy 3rd line! real hockey players!

Same contract as Gordon? Perhaps a 4th yr if required?

This would be another small but meaningful step forward involving nothing but a little cash.

47. FastOil says:

bendelson,

Kulemin has been a favourite here and elsewhere. The thing is, this year he has 12 PIM. According to Hockey DB Hendricks on the Oilers already has 13 PIM.

They may prove me wrong but I think Kulemin was raised too well for the Oilers. They’re after guys with a chip on their shoulder that can play a bit. Probably a mistake in terms of Cup winning.

48. bendelson says:

FastOil,

PIM’s (sandpaper, grit, dirty play) are not nearly as important to a 3rd line as their ability to shut down very good hockey players.

If the LT and friends demand it, MacT will deliver us a Kulemin.
    (That’s how this blog things works… No?)

49. Doug McLachlan says:

I have no problem piling on Mr. Dithers for his failure to address any of the obvious, persistent failings of the big club (which, by contrast, MacT has been clearly plugging away at since his hire.

That said, do we give Tambo any credit for the restructuring of the minor league team the resurection of a true player-development system that had been languishing for years. If Maricin is the product of the Oilers system then he is, in some part, a product of a conveyor belt that Tambo was part of setting up, no?

bendelson:
    FastOil,

If the LT and friends demand it, MacT will deliver us a Kulemin.
    (That’s how this blog things works… No?)

Kulemin!

51. Doug McLachlan says:

bendelson,

On the same point as Kulemin, are we still of the view that we need a true #2 Center? If so, last year there was a demand from some here (self included) to go get Grabovski who is, I believe, a ufa in Washington now.

Is that still a valuable/desireable option?

52. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Kulemin!

Scarlett Johansson!

53. gr8one says:

Woodguy: A little early to make that call.

Can even have a whole year of regression.

This is so true, or longer even, just ask Buffalo fans re: Myers.

That being said, man, I hope not.

54. Doug McLachlan says:

gr8one,

That being said, if we could pry Myers out of Buffalo – we’d call it a coup, no?

55. bendelson says:

Doug McLachlan,

It’s not a bad idea at all – though I have heard rumblings that he will be re-signed in Wash.

book¡je,

56. RexLibris says:

Tambellini spent time with Hockey Canada and was believed by some to be a GM-in-waiting.

The “in-waiting” part seems particularly funny now.

So Lowe hiring him was within the realm of having worked with him before and his management pedigree of the Canucks and the 2002 Olympic team, the 2003 WJC team and the 2004 World Cup team.

57. RexLibris says:

book¡je: Scarlett Johansson!

Gotta buy one of these then!

58. Ducey says:

I suggest that LT hikes up to Tambellini’s mountain fortress and interviews the man.

It would clear up a lot of things.

59. AZOIL says:

Went to the Coyotes Kings game last night and man Carter looks like a giant out there! I would love a few players as big as him! Also doughty is so calm with the puck, guys would be all over him and he simply kept calm and was able to make smart passes. I would like one of those too!

Kings lost though with all that size and talent, and it was largely due to the wonderfulness of OEL, I wish somehow , someway we could pry him outta there!!! I guess that’s enough coveting for today!

book¡je: Scarlett Johansson!

You win!

61. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: You win!

We all win.

62. freedomisamyth says:

russ99:

Tonight would be a good night for Eakins to prove he can adapt the gameplan.

If they are dumping in when they shouldn’t be, then the players aren’t making the right decisions (or maybe they are, and just executing poorly). It’s not by gameplan.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Gotta buy one of these then!

It’s amazing that the comments to that video have so much Mid-east argle bargle… what a weird world.

64. Caramel Obvious says:

freedomisamyth: Why do you seem to beat this dead (and plainly inaccurate) dead horse so often when it doesn’t seem to have any basis in reality? Eakins himself has said the gameplan is the complete opposite many times – do you think he’s just lying for no particular reason or something? He’s said that (really paraphrasing badly) they’d like to have every zone entry be a controlled zone entry, but sometimes that’s not going to work and you have to chip and chase, or dump it in. Every coach in the league would say the same.

Thank you!

65. Surly says:

Not sure if this has been shared before. Click on this link and the 2nd video on the page is a 5min clip of The Oilers Video Based Development system:

66. Zelepukin says:

Caramel Obvious: Thank you!

Agreed. No one ever really wants to dump and chase as a strategy. Even if you’re able to cleanly break out of your zone with possession and support, today’s NHL d-men have become incredibly efficient in gap control which forces a lot of even-strength rushes to result in small dumps. This forces the D to have to chase the puck without taking an obstruction penalty.

A dump and chase once crossing the red line rarely happens when its not done to activate a line change or zone entry on the PP.

67. Snowman says:

RexLibris: We all win.

This 100%

68. Snowman says:

book¡je,

For Gagner, Klef and the first?

69. russ99 says:

Zelepukin,

Fine, if you want to put it on the players or coach, it doesn’t really matter.

Dumping against a big quality possession team like the Sharks stifles offense, as they’ll invariably get it back before we can do anything, which is what happened the last time we played them.

Plus it seems to me whoever is responsible is playing safe, preferring to lose possession closer to the opposing net in order to get back on defense. We’ll have to risk turnovers closer to the blue line against a squad like this.

Hopefully whoever is responsible changes things up tonight.

bendelson:
    FastOil,

If the LT and friends demand it, MacT will deliver us a Kulemin.
    (That’s how this blog things works… No?)

Exactly.

Justin Bourne had a great post today on what makes a tough player.

Justin is a pretty good writer, son of Bob Bourne and played pro hockey in the ECHL and 16 games in the AHL.

Good follow on twitter and a good writer.

Great piece.

The last paragraph in the Bourne piece is excellent:

If you’re a hockey team that lacks toughness, you shouldn’t be looking to add raw size, or a fighter, or anything of the sort. You need players, no matter their size, who are tough enough to take those hits to make those plays. Hockey games are decided by five or ten plays that often come down to an inch, or a “barely.” The problem is, you rarely know when you’re in one of those moments. So all you can do is be first on the puck over, and over, and over again. The guys who commit to doing that are the league’s toughest players.

Hemsky is one of the toughest men in the league.

Never afraid of being first to the puck and had taken a hit to make a play thousands (yes, thousands) of times for the Oilers.

He’s Oilers royalty for the blood, guts, and his best years that he gave to this team.

The way the local MSM treats him after all his work here is a travesty that show 3-4 different kinds of prejudice.

72. book¡je says:

Hemsky is butter tough!

73. "Steve Smith" says:

book¡je,

New meme alert.

74. OilClog says:

Not that it’s shocking, news, or otherwise. Nick Schultz is prepared to be moved..

75. RexLibris says:

Ducks re-sign Fistric for 3 years @ $3.8 million.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog:

Have you got a source on that?

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:
    Ducks re-sign Fistric for 3 years @ $3.8 million.

Apparently the Oil offered 4.5M over 3 last year

78. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: New meme alert.

After analysing the use of butter on this website, I have discerned that it means ‘very’. I think it is a butter effective adverb to demonstrate emphasis.

79. B S says:

Woodguy,

Looking for toughness also means no to Penner. He’s big, and when he has dollar signs, or playoffs in front of him he can really play, but I’ve never seen a guy shy away from physical contact so much. I’ve never understood why people think he’d solve our size/”toughness” problem.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

book¡je: After analysing the use of butter on this website, I have discerned that it means ‘very’.I think it is a butter effective adverb to demonstrate emphasis.

That’s a perfectly cromulent analysis. Butter cromulent.

B S:
    Woodguy,

Because once he got the puck, he never lost it.

No one can take it from him.

82. Eastern Oil says:

Woodguy,

Fantastic post. I have always found it extremely frustrating listening to people disregarding advanced stats by talking about intangibles, etc.. Watch the game they say with ever increasing volume. And fair enough I say, they have every right to their opinion.

But what is the most frustrating is “watching” Hemsky take a beating night in and out, and still being called soft. How do I argue with someone that tells me to watch the game, but then doesn’t seem to be able to themselves? Many may not, but I rue the day Hemsky and his effort/skill is traded from this team.

83. B S says:

Woodguy: Because once he got the puck, he never lost it.

No one can take it from him.

Which was great as long as he didn’t have to take it from anyone, or didn’t have to worry about getting hit in the corner. As I recall (memory does get fuzzy, and selective after a few years), especially from his 65 (?) point season, he typically had good positioning and was great at getting the puck from the corner to the front of the net, if he had a step on the D. Where he frustrate me was when he’d pull up before getting the puck when a Dman was lining him up (like an evil opposite of hemsky), or when the opposition had the puck in the corner and Penner would never seem to go after him, instead hovering in the slot.

I didn’t mind Penner as a player, I would have been fine with him staying on the team when he left, but his size was meaningless. He rarely ever seemed to use it, and if we’re talking about keeping the puck then why didn’t we keep Omark, it seems to be his strongest skill too.

84. book¡je says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That’s a perfectly cromulent analysis. Butter cromulent.

Mmmmmm… Butter Cromulent

85. steveb12344 says:

Eastern Oil:

Woodguy,

Fantastic post.I have always found it extremely frustrating listening to people disregarding advanced stats by talking about intangibles, etc..Watch the game they say with ever increasing volume.And fair enough I say, they have every right to their opinion.

But what is the most frustrating is “watching” Hemsky take a beating night in and out, and still being called soft.How do I argue with someone that tells me to watch the game, but then doesn’t seem to be able to themselves?Many may not, but I rue the day Hemsky and his effort/skill is traded from this team.

So are you saying that you use advanced stats to prove that Hemsky isn’t soft?

Or is it the “intangibles” that can’t be quantified by stats alone.

Things like taking the puck through traffic, or being first in the corner and never afraid to take a hit. Do you quantify those things with Corsi, or Fenwick Etc. ?

B S:
    Woodguy,

Lordy. Penner’s a player. He’s a big body. He’s NOT a fourth line crash and bang guy. I’d take him any day.

book¡je: Mmmmmm… Butter Cromulent

Its better when you make the crust with real lard.

88. "Steve Smith" says:

steveb12344: So are you saying that you use advanced stats to prove that Hemsky isn’t soft?

Or is it the “intangibles” that can’t be quantified by stats alone.

Things like taking the puck through traffic, or being first in the corner and never afraid to take a hit.Do you quantify those things with Corsi, or Fenwick Etc. ?

You don’t quantify those things directly. But the effect of those things is that they generate possession and scoring chances and so on. And those things *are* reflected by advanced stats.

It’s true that when you see a player who drives the play and possession, you can’t tell from the stats by what mechanism he’s doing it. But why should you give a shit?

“Steve Smith”: You don’t quantify those things directly.But the effect of those things is that they generate possession and scoring chances and so on.And those things *are* reflected by advanced stats.

It’s true that when you see a player who drives the play and possession, you can’t tell from the stats by what mechanism he’s doing it.But why should you give a shit?

Butter rum. all day. Brian Campbell.

90. Henry says:

Woodguy: Exactly.

Justin Bourne had a great post today on what makes a tough player.

Good follow on twitter and a good writer.

Great piece.

Thanks sincerely for that link. I hadn’t heard of Bourne and just read some of his stuff. It’s very interesting.

I’ve noticed the Nuge chipping the puck to one corner then driving to the corner to chip it to Hall in the other corner quite a lot recently.

91. B S says:

Check for yourself I said he’s a player. He’s not elite but he can make passes and shoot well. My point is that he isn’t “tough” (outside of playoffs in contract years).

It feels to me like the big body fools a lot of people because they either assume he’s tough (which a lot of posters in the blogosphere do when they haven’t seen him play) when he’s not.

Or they complain about him being soft and lazy and needing to go (Edmonton MSM I’m looking at you), despite him putting up solid 2nd line numbers, sometimes with 3rd line minutes. Penner is neither of these things. He’s a winger who can play well with skill, and generate offense on his own. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t see trading Hemsky for Penner as a solution to the Oiler’s perceived “toughness” problem of the last few seasons.

B S:

Damn straight. Agree completely.

93. steveb12344 says:

Lowetide: I’m writing an article for ON right now on Brian Campbell. If you just stare at his blue balloons in the Vollman sledgehammer it doesn’t make one shit’s difference how he got there.

Butter rum. all day. Brian Campbell.

Love the Sledgehammer graphs. I’m not against advanced stats at all. I’m a math guy myself.

I just think that at times some people abuse them, and put far too much weight into what they actually mean.

The thing about math is that EVERYTHING ALWAYS adds up. If x+y=z Than x+y is going to equal z every fucking time.

When I think about these advanced stats for hockey, there are just so many imperfections, and unaccounted for variables, that I really can’t get that excited about them.

Don’t say that all that evens out for every team either. That is just hogwash. The sample size required for that to happen would be so large that it is irrelevant.

I think they have many great uses when it comes to analysis. It just bugs me when some guys wield them like they’re Excalibre’s mighty sword, and that they are absolutely concrete proof to prove their point.

94. Caramel Obvious says:

Henry: Thanks sincerely for that link.I hadn’t heard of Bourne and just read some of his stuff.It’s very interesting.

Bourne is the best analyst in hockey and I don’t think it is particularly close. He’s the only guy I know of who combines first hand fluency of hockey systems and technique with first hand knowledge of hockey metrics.

If I ran a team I’d hire him tomorrow as assistant general manager.

95. "Steve Smith" says:

steveb12344: Love the Sledgehammer graphs.I’m not against advanced stats at all.I’m a math guy myself.

[...]

It just bugs me when some guys wield them like they’re Excalibre’s mighty sword…

Math guy, eh? Are you sure you’re not a classics guy?

Gene Simmons grabbing Bettman.

Because its Gene Simmons grabbing Bettman.

97. steveb12344 says:

I know, Excalibre was the sword, and yes if we had of been in HighSchool math class together. I would have kicked your ass, and likely not even had to try that hard :)

98. Eastern Oil says:

steveb12344,

I guess I really didn’t express myself that well. I think Hemsky is a decent example of someone that advanced stats people like but doesn’t get enough credit from some “saw him good” people for the type of game he plays. He has taken his licks over the years but can’t seem to shake the label of being fragile.

I should not have used a X vs. Y argument as it muddied the waters.

99. Andy P says:

Let me make one thing clear: This commenter has never, ever, suggested in any way, shape of form that the intangibles I have addressed, could or should replace advanced stats, however they can be used to sometimes supplement these stats by explaining why a player is not playing at the level he should be, after one has ruled out the obvious.

100. David says:

Based on names thrown around on this blog as well as a couple of my wishes the Oilers could possibly (maybe?) have this roster next year

Hall, Nuge, Eberle
    Perron, (Stastny/Legwand), Yak
    Hartikianen, Gordon, Callahan
    Gazdic, Arcobello, Pitlick
    Lander, Horak

Campbell, Schultz
    Marincin, Petry
    Ference, Fedun
    Klefbom, Larsen

Halak
    Scrivens
    Bachman

Is this good enough to make the playoffs? Not sure about the d…

101. steveb12344 says:

Eastern Oil:
    steveb12344,

I guess I really didn’t express myself that well.I think Hemsky is a decent example of someone that advanced stats people like but doesn’t get enough credit from some “saw him good” people for the type of game he plays.He has taken his licks over the years but can’t seem to shake the label of being fragile.

I know what you meant. I just don’t see how it’s connected. If hemsky shows up good with the corgis, it is likely more to do with his two way game. ie; creating more with his offensive talent than he is giving up in his own zone. As opposed to the actual intangibles that make him tough, and not fragile.

We who watch him play game in and game out see that he goes to the tough areas, and that he doesn’t shy away from contact, and that he’s willing to take a hit to make a play anytime.

Most of the ones who label him with that are out of towners who don’t watch him play all the time, and have nothing more to go by than stats and injury reports.

I’d say that this is definitely a case where seeing him play all the time would be much superior to just combing through his advanced stats.

I should not have used a X vs. Y argument as it muddied the waters.

Eastern Oil:
    steveb12344,

I should not have used a X vs. Y argument as it muddied the waters.

Bob was making the case for Yakupov by referring to Marleau.

Marleau was taken 2nd overall in 1997.

Here’s his GP, Goals, Assists and Point in his first 6 years:

74 13 19 32
    81 21 24 45
    81 17 23 40
    81 25 27 52
    79 21 23 44
    82 28 29 57

Would you consider Yak a bust if he matches that?

Is Marleau a bust?

Food for thought.

103. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been thinking about this: I have a moral objection to the LAK in terms of the entertainment value they offer.

They are butter far from my ideal hockey team in terms of entertainment.

More and more I’m starting to think this kind of moral objection to some real or imagined hockey as adv. stats. entertainment animates the objection to adv. stats.

It’s not so much that they don’t think it works, because winning here is secondary to how one wins/how the entertainment is performed.

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m
    Larsen in for Potter on #Oilers defence.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m
    Larsen in for Potter on #Oilers defence.

That’s interesting.

I rate Larsen higher than Potter for sure.

Romulus Apotheosis:

They are butter far from my ideal hockey team in terms of entertainment.

CHI is fun to watch.

SJS is fun to watch.

BOS is fun to watch.

Etc.

107. Zelepukin says:

Exactly. The MO on our top line is to reduce their space, tight gap control and play physical against them. With our D it’s been difficult for that top line to break out as a unit and more often then not, Nuge is the guy exiting the zone with the puck and not having immediate support that he can dish the puck to on the strong or near side.

Larsen is out of a coma!

109. theres oil in virginia says:

Larsen is out of a coma!

Shave his beard and send him out there!

110. Zelepukin says:

Woodguy:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m
    Larsen in for Potter on #Oilers defence.

That’s interesting.

I rate Larsen higher than Potter for sure.

Absolutely. I see a player in Larsen. If he can build some strength and improve his positioning, he could eventually become a 3 or 4 D in my opinion. His speed being exceptional.

111. flyfish1168 says:

Larsen is going to get lost behind all those trees from SJ.

I love my aviator

112. Pouzar says:

Come on Boyz….lets not Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Agreed, but you can’t make a sweeping statement like “good corsi teams are teh suck to watch”

CHI is fun to watch.

SJS is fun to watch.

BOS is fun to watch.

Etc.

Exactly.

But I’m dealing in perceptions and imaginings and normative ideals here… facts just get in the way.

Plus, entertainment for a lot of these folks probably means that gong show when Philly got blown out but tried to kill every Cap.

At any rate, it’s a working theory… looking less great as I think more about it…

114. Ryan says:

B S:
    Woodguy,

When Penner last played for us, he was a beast in front of the net and a difficult guy to move. He certainly wasn’t a perimeter hockey player or a smurf.

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

116. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Could that have anything to do with. Larsen and Belov both being brutal in general?

117. Derek says:

A San Jose Wookie sighting.

118. Lois Lowe says:

Good to see Larsen’s over his pubic thing.

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Not in Belov’s case.

And, Larsen, oddly enough paired well with 15

Put 15 with 37 and 77 with 19

at least that’s what the WOWY would suggest.

120. jp says:

Lois Lowe:
    Good to see Larsen’s over his pubic thing.

Rest and rehab at a spa in the Swiss Alps?

121. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t know the pairings… but I just want to remind everyone that Larsen and Belov were brutal together

They’re both guys still learning the NHL, so that makes sense too.

122. VanOil says:

I am having trouble distinguishing the difference between the SJ PP and 5v5 play it seems Old Rexall place if developing a significant lean.

123. VanOil says:

The Oilers know they are allowed to touch the puck right?

124. Pouzar says:

Yeah bad start.

Jesus. Scrivens.

126. jp says:

Wow Scrivens!!

VanOil:

Luckily it’ll even out once they switch ends….

127. Pouzar says:

Save %!!!!!!!!!!!!

128. Gerta Rauss says:

Well if we can get out of this period still tied,….I don’t know how to finish that statement.

129. spoiler says:

That last shift had 36 and 77 together.

130. Derek says:

No wonder SJ has such strong possession stats, they shoot from absolutely everywhere. I mean they do it with guys in front of the net and they get the puck pretty damn quickly, but they shoot constantly.

131. Gerta Rauss says:

hahahahahah….

132. Derek says:

Wow. Edmonton pulling a Maple Leaf style rope-a-dope in the first period tonight.

133. jp says:

Gerta Rauss:

Does that change anything?

134. spoiler says:

SCHULTZY!!!!

135. book¡je says:

Shots 14-3

We’re back!

That feel normal.

J Schultz 7 (N Schultz, Hall)

137. spoiler says:

That was the seeing eye goal someone asked for last game.

138. B S says:

Ryan: The thing about Penner is that while he may not be physical, he’s still a sorely needed big body by this hockey club.

When Penner last played for us, he was a beast in front of the net and a difficult guy to move.He certainly wasn’t a perimeter hockey player or a smurf.

I’d argue that Perron is more what this team has needed than Penner. Like I said before, the big body fixation is crazy when guys like Smyth can do the same job with less size. In other words ignore the size and evaluate the player based on what he does. Lucic isn’t Lucic just because he’s big and can skate, He’s a true PW because he is willing to be physical (not simply hitting, but also pushing guys around in the corners and in front of the net).

Penner went to the front of the net but it was the hemsky’s on team that were digging the puck out of the corners.

Goal! Did w have 3 forwards in front of the net? that has to be a first this season.

139. book¡je says:

Butter fantastic!!!

140. Pouzar says:

Now see…wtf was that Gagner?

141. jp says:

Wonder when NSchultz last had a primary assist…

142. PunjabiOil says:

Does Justin Schultz ever take slap shots?

143. VanOil says:

jp:
    Wow Scrivens!!

Luckily it’ll even out once they switch ends….

I am sure it will. That goal probably broke there confidence.

144. David says:

Kellen Jpnes graduates this summer. Will the oilers sign him?

145. Gerta Rauss says:

Pouzar:
    Now see…wtf was that Gagner?

yeah…I saw that…apparently he’s got a big brain but sometimes he forgets to use it

He got away with one there

146. Pouzar says:

Whens the last we saw our goalie stand on his head to start a game to keep it scoreless then we come back and get a seeing-eye gift from the hockey gods?

147. ASkoreyko says:

Man one nice thing about Gazdic is he can go out there and really lay into a guy and then crosscheck him from behind and the other player will just take it. I still don’t know if Gazdic really provides any extra space for the skill guys but if he can keep moving his feet and punish guys when he can I am happy with him on the 4th line.

148. jp says:

They’re talking about Clare Drake at length on the Sharks broadcast. Huh.

149. Pouzar says:

PunjabiOil:
    Does Justin Schultz ever take slap shots?

Swear to God I saw him take 1 slapper last game…probably a full moon.

150. B S says:

64 battling along the boards in the Dzone. Who took Yaks number, ’cause I like this new guy.

151. jp says:

Nuge is a Thief!!!!

152. Derek says:

SJ getting away with quite a few picks and interference plays in their own end to my eye.

153. B S says:

ASkoreyko:

It’s possible. Martin St. Louis once picked a fight with Chara so anything’s possible.

154. spoiler says:

And there’s another big Eberle hit. Hendricks mojo.

155. icecastles says:

156. Pouzar says:

Scrivens can play the puck

Scrivens is having a helluva period here. Lordy. Hendricks hit his head.

158. jp says:

Christ, that was punishing X2. Gheez.

159. spoiler says:

ASkoreyko: Also does a guy like Mike Brown ever challenge Gazdic? How does that work? Different weight classes?

That should answer your question, lol.

160. Logan91 says:

Scrivens Kings equipment must give him special goalie powers.

161. Pouzar says:

Great Hendricks gets concussed

162. Gerta Rauss says:

Well our goalie was the story of that period, and I mean that in a good way.

163. Pouzar says:

Good rub out by J Schultz

164. book¡je says:

What a useless fight – just wasting brain cells for nothing.

165. ASkoreyko says:

I guess I got my answer somewhat.

Hope Hendricks is ok.

That 3rd pick is starting to look like a bargain.

166. Pouzar says:

1-0 after that period? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

167. spoiler says:

icecastles: just got to where i can see the game. Someone better remind these guys they’re the Oilers! What’s going on? happy happy

Just don’t look at the Corgis. No ribbons on the puppies tonight. Unsightful.

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David:
    Kellen Jpnes graduates this summer. Will the oilers sign him?

Still, good for him!

169. B S says:

Derek:

From what I’ve seen plenty of veteran rich and competitive teams get that benefit from the officials. Detroit is the most obvious example I can think of who does the same thing. They also tended to get the edge in Hooking as well. When some complain about the oilers not playing with some dirt like that they need to remember that the Oil would be paraded to the penalty box for playing like Detroit or San Jose.

170. flyfish1168 says:

Sharks sure have excellent team speed, puck pursuit and puck battles.

171. jp says:

ASkoreyko:
    I guess I got my answer somewhat.

Hope Hendricks is ok.

That 3rd pick is starting to look like a bargain.

Gazdic is a weight class up from Hendricks, no? 3 inches and 30 lbs. So really no answer.

Hope he’s OK too though.

172. gvblackhawk says:

Pouzar:
    Good rub out by J Schultz

He sure seems like he is turning the corner defensively. Not so prone to cheat for offense and more willing to engage physically. Nice signs.

173. icecastles says:

spoiler: Just don’t look at the Corgis. No ribbons on the puppies tonight. Unsightful.

I’m just going to remember Roli’s 51-save shutout performance (or maybe it was a 2-1 win) against San Jose 5 or 6 years ago and think happy thoughts. It’s about time the Oilers take one they don’t completely deserve to win. The Gords owe them even if their corgis are off the leash tonight.

174. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d be shocked if they gave him a contract. I don’t think we’d hear anything about him if he wasn’t up for that award.

Still, good for him!

175. Oilanderp says:

Gene interviews Nultz and asks him only questions about Jultz.

176. icecastles says:

book¡je: What a useless fight – just wasting brain cells for nothing.

Starting to wonder if you were simply predicting the banter of the intermission Sportsnet commentators.

177. Derek says:

Oh man this panel. If you think Yakupov and Gagner are the same player then I just don’t know…

178. spoiler says:

I think Doug Maclean actually just said some things that made sense.

179. VanOil says:

A passing fancy; Sign Hemsky for 3 year 10M this week before the Olympics. Convince him to bring Jagr back as a free agent next year. Large, Vet, Skilled, Workout Demon, Mentor and Crazy Skilled.

2014-2015
    RNH-Hall-Eberle a real life 1st line with Nuge developing peach fuzz
    Nelson-Perron-Yak Puck retrieval demon Brock Nelson replaces Gags
    Gordon-Jagr-Hemsky The best 3d line in Hockey?
    Arco/Lander-Hendricks/Joensuu-Pitlick/Gazdic A 4th line is in there some where

It would buy some time for the 1st round pick from this year to develop and see if any of last years crop can bring there hands to the pros. Add 2 Dmen and a Goalie to rival Scrivens and you might scrap into a playoff spot.

180. book¡je says:

Pouzar:
    1-0 after that period? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

There’s something on the wing! You have to believe me!

181. Ryan says:

B S,

You sir need to spend more time watching the California teams.

I’d also suggest you brush up on concepts including conservation of momentum and Newton’s second law.

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: I’d have agreed not so long ago. He didn’t look like he was going anywhere. But he’s having a real nice year. And they did put him on the website. Looks like another Andrew Miller.

As the Vollmans show… at that age your prospect value starts to drop away pretty quick.

The College guy to watch is that McCarron.

183. Fixall with Rexall says:

Wouldn’t be a shock if Hendricks didn’t come back. Luckily his head didn’t look like it bounced.

Watching the experts argue what needs to be done with our top six is funny.

184. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think they’ve been very impressed with Miller. He’s not even playing C in OKC and not really driving offense like they’d hoped.

If you’re using Ryan Miller as a forward, you’re bound to be underwhelmed. Every time I think scouting reports are as lazy as they can get….

185. Derek says:

It looks like we’ve returned to around the boards and out Edmonton Oilers hockey.

186. ASkoreyko says:

book¡je:
    What a useless fight – just wasting brain cells for nothing.

That is exactly what I thought. M Brown justifying his existence and Hendricks making sure his ‘character’ is not questioned.

187. spoiler says:

A line change while maintaining zone pressure? Against the Sharks?

188. spoiler says:

Great puck support there in their own end by Hall and Company.

189. spoiler says:

Have to scratch out every square foot of space against this Shark squad and they’re trying to.

190. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

The College guy to watch is that McCarron.

Man weez got some size in the pipeline…is he earmarked for OKC next year?

191. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: Man weez got some size in the pipeline…is he earmarked for OKC next year?

IIRC he’ll still be in college. But him and Oil may choose to yank him out and put him in OKC.

LT would know.

192. Pouzar says:

Are you for real MENSA?

193. jp says:

WTF is Scrivens doing??

He wants to stay at home for a few years. Incredible!!

And another. Wow.

194. VanOil says:

Even in if this ends as a 5-1 loss I would vote for Scrivens as first star. His SV% would still be sparkling.

195. spoiler says:

Now that was a save.

Scrivens. Lordy.

197. gogliano says:

If we sign Scrivens and he maintains this two-game save percentage of .985+ next season I think we have a shot at the playoffs.

Newer Comments »