WE’RE ONLY MAKING PLANS FOR MARTIN

We’re just a few games into Martin Marincin’s career in the NHL, but these games are some of the most encouraging in years for Oiler fans. If Marincin can do this at 21, can Nurse do this at 20? Can Klefbom do it soon, too? What about Ekblad? Could he do it at 19? The mind reels with the thought of a young and effective blue.

EXTRA SKATER MARTIN MARINCIN

marincin player card janHere’s the player card from extra skater. The offense isn’t there yet, we’re not going to worry about it because we know at least some boxcars will flow (Marincin is a mobile defender who has had to learn to cut back on walkabout during his pro career). His Corsi for % at 5×5 is a sparkling 51.4%, which on this Oilers team is impossible, but here we are. His CorsiRel reflects the uniqueness of his season so far, and with 30 games to go the young man will be just shy of 50GP if he plays the rest of the schedule.

QUAL COMP

behind the net marincinThis is BTN (they haven’t downloaded the last couple of games) and shows Marincin/Petry are facing the toughest opposition (Ference-J Schultz aren’t far behind them). I’m never certain about the qual comp—it’s a wildly difficult thing to measure—but by eye I think Marincin has been facing the tougher opponents for most of his 15 game career.

WOWY

The WOWY tells some of the tale of Martin Marincin.

• Marincin with Petry: 54.0% in 135 minutes
  • Marincin without Petry: 44.4% in 70 minutes
  • Petry without Marincin: 46.5% in 701 minutes

I think the revelation of Marincin is clearer here and instructive for next season: It’s okay to keep Marincin with Petry, and it’s fine to feel good about Marincin’s progress. However, let’s be real. Actual NHL players—and Jeff Petry is one—are the difference, and if Petry were playing with a veteran his Corsi for 5×5% would be higher. Celebrate Marincin, rejoice in Petry.

Seriously. By the way, the Zone Adjusted WOWY is more severe. There’s encouraging words from the ZS’s where, Petry and Marincin are starting in the pits.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER KIDS

I’ve been watching young defensemen since Jim Dorey, Jim McKenny and Mike Pelyk. They:

• rarely progress without regress
  • often struggle in their progression from prospect to player
  • shouldn’t be counted on to push anything before 200+ NHL games
  • rarely surprise in a good way for an entire season

So, when we talk about Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, yadda yadda yadda, and use Marincin as the template, let’s look at the entire photo. And for the love of all that is holy, can we please just one time not run the actual NHL defenseman out of town?

Lordy.

155 Responses to "WE’RE ONLY MAKING PLANS FOR MARTIN"

1. oliveoilers says:

I’m not at all bothered about the lack of offense, because the kid seems to have what not all Oilers share; a defensive conscience. He and Petry seem to have developed a synergy. Maybe Petry is taking the role of mentor seriously and is more alert to Marty’s rookie mistakes? It’s not so much Marty makes great plays, it seems to me he makes the routine plays look routine. He does the basics well and without the chaos. Thumbs up so far.

2. wordbird says:

Weeeeeeee oooooo.

3. book¡je says:

Petry is butter soft. The sooner he and Hemsky are run out of town for some guys like Jones and Hendricks, the better.

Am I doing it right?

4. gangplank says:

So emergence of Marincin has surely made Petry expendable right? right?

5. Marc says:

Happy Burns Night everyone!

I trust you’ve all secured a suitable haggis.

6. John Chambers says:

Good thing they’ll have taken a long look at the kid before they trade any of the young D. Hope we see Klefbom get in 20 games this year too.

WAS is looking to unload Mike Green and his $6M cap hit next year. He’s obviously not a perfect fit, but he is a legit top-4 NHL defenseman who can boost a power play. Might play well alongside Ference. Would a Gagner for Green swap appeal to any? It would to me.

7. wordbird says:

Will be interesting to see what kind of offense he can bring, in time. He certainly seems to have some good instincts, and calmness/not overthinking is a useful trait on both ends of the ice (hint hint #19)

8. Ripoux says:

Hey LT

I’m not sure I have ever seen a treatise on what the definition of an “actual NHL player” is. Is it something tangible, like the 200 game mark with a graduation diploma, or is it more subjective or like a perception around the league or is it something else?

Gracias

9. WeirsBeard says:

I can’t remember who brought this up over the last couple of days, but defensemen seem to be getting younger when they are effective. Maybe a result of limiting holding/interference post lockout. Sneaky holds we’re always a veteran move. Nice to see the Oil take part in a good trend, and have a young D step in and be able to be effective, even if Petry is holding his hand.

As the article states though, more NHL players please.

Ripoux:
    Hey LT

Gracias

“Actual NHL player” depends on position I think. Taylor Hall as a rookie was facing tough competition and if not pushing the river at least tying it up.

For defensemen, it’s rare for one to be good enough before three full seasons. Petry has struggled this year, and he’s a good one.

Goalies? Who knows anything about goalies?

11. mumbai max says:

I loved that game. Average goaltending and we have 2 points. I loved Matt Hendricks on the ice and pumping up the bench! I loved what looked like a 10 foot tall Marincin. I loved Jordan Eberle throwing a hellacious body check, and I loved the pissed off Jones in the locker room. They need to be mad as hell and not take it anymore. Feels like the new day is slowly but surely arriving. Delusional?

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can we get a ruling on Marincin’s long term RFA status?

Is he in the same boat as Klefbom would have been in had he been on the NHL roster for something like 44 games, i.e., ticks a year off his RFA status?

Speeds?

13. flyfish1168 says:

According to capgeek Martin still has 1 more year on his entry level contract

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168:
    According to capgeek Martin still has 1 more year on his entry level contract

IIRC

The issue was altogether different.

Years of RFA status are calculated based on a variety of factors like age, gps, years in league, etc.

With Klefbom he hits UFA status automatically when he reaches a certain age, unless he plays enough games prior to that age, in which case he hits it earlier. (or something)

Just wondering if something similar applies to Marincin?

15. regwald says:

Is it just me or are the WOWY links broken ? I clicked on them all and get an not found message.

16. PunjabiOil says:

For those who missed the jersey toss last night, and Eakin’s subsequent reaction – it’s captured in the link below

It is interesting though the parallels between the Edmonton Oilers and the political revolution. An inept leadership, terrible results, state media, muzzling message boards, sending the information minister to give a message to the people that all is well, total denial of reality and an irate powerless population.

This is Tahiri square.

17. speeds says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Can we get a ruling on Marincin’s long term RFA status?

Speeds?

No, it doesn’t matter in the same way for Marincin as it did for Klefbom.

1. Marincin was born prior to July 1 in his draft year, while Klefbom was born after. That means Marincin will be 27 come July 1, 7 years from starting as a pro (2 years post draft), while Klefbom will only be 26 on the July 1 7 years after starting in NA. By age, Marincin would be a UFA at that time, while by age Klefbom will not be a UFA – he would only have been a UFA had he recorded “7 accrued seasons”, which has been prevented by him spending as much time as he has in the AHL this year. Had he played in the NHL this year (and the next 6), Klefbom would have been a UFA in the summer of 2020. Because Klefbom won’t reach the threshold for this year to count as an “accrued season”, Klefbom won’t be a UFA until the summer of 2021, the first year he’ll qualify by age to be a UFA.

2. Marincin already played last year in the AHL, so even if it was potentially an issue for him, it would have already been dealt with by him playing in the AHL for the entirety of last season.

regwald:

Working for me.

19. TheOtherJohn says:

Bookje ……..pitch perfect!!

Speeds as always: thanks

20. PointGiven says:

“Can we please just one time not run the actual NHL defenseman out of town?”

Hahahahah. LT, Poti, Gilbert, Petry tree is alive and well. Once we finish off Petry, Marincin is up next. Fedun, Gernat your on deck.

A good chunk of this town wants Dmen who smash faces into glass, puck skills don’t matter. Give us 3 Jason Smiths, 3 Matt Greenes and victory will be ours!

21. oliveoilers says:

book¡je:
    Petry is butter soft.The sooner he and Hemsky are run out of town for some guys like Jones and Hendricks, the better.

Am I doing it right?

Lol, seems to be the way we’re going doesn’t it? Whole team of 4th line grinders. That’ll show ‘em. Seriously though, about Petry and Hemmer; Petry is the only player on the team that makes me go “hey, look at that guy, he gets it, good play!” And “who the hell is that idiot that looks like a pylon?” In the same shift. Hemmer…..sigh, Hemmer. Unsung hero, or guy who picks and chooses when to turn it on? You don’t have moves (the Hemskey semi-circle/ fly-by) named after you and famous around the league without reason. However when he turns up…..lordy, he is worth the money.

22. oliveoilers says:

PointGiven:
    “Can we please just one time not run the actual NHL defenseman out of town?”

Weber smashes faces into glass! Do we still have the rights to O’Mark?

23. mumbai max says:

PunjabiOil:

This is Tahiri square.

Or, we have a young hockey team, slowly getting better, on a well lit stage in front of an audience prone to hyperbole. :-)

24. icecastles says:

oliveoilers: You don’t have moves (the Hemskey semi-circle/ fly-by) named after you and famous around the league without reason

25. justDOit says:

book¡je:

Am I doing it right?

That right there, is by the book¡je.

26. PunjabiOil says:

Or, we have a young hockey team slowly getting better on a well lit stage, with an audience prone to hyperbole.

If by slowly, you mean glacial pace, then I agree – slowly.

I would be more sympathetic to Eakins if he sustained what he was doing in the first 10-15 games (despite losing games, easier schedule). The team has fell sharply since. You can’t even blame it on injuries like you could in the first 15 games or so.

They need NHL defencemen, not projects (Belov, Larsen), and they need NHL quality goaltending (Khubodin, not LaBarbera).

It’s frustrating because you know this team isn’t very far if they could plug in those holes. There is no reason the Columbus’s or Colorado’s should be further ahead into the rebuild than Edmonton.

There just isn’t.

27. icecastles says:

Bohologo: Hey, I take the Oilers way too seriously as well, but let’s not mistake this team for something worth dying over now. Entertainment vs. real life.

Thank you for saying this, Bohologo.

Having been deeply involved in Euromaidan since the beginning in late November, this board and hockey in general has been a welcome distraction from what is rapidly evolving into a very violent (but necessary) revolution (albeit a pale shadow of what Syria and other countries have been witness to). When people here start comparing our government or the G20 protests, or even worse, a sporting event, to events in Syria or Ukraine, it makes me sick to my stomach.

I get that we have problems here too, but Jesus H Christ, get some fucking perspective, folks. It’s a game. Find something a little more deserving of the rhetoric.

Sorry to curse.

28. mumbai max says:

Linus Omark

11 Games

0 goals

2 assists

Minus 4

5 shots

Joining Rob Schremp as an Oiler legend

29. thejonrmcleod says:

PunjabiOil,

That’s a great gif. Surprised it was a Belov jersey. What would be the psychological profile of the guy who threw it? What kind of fan buys a Belov jersey and throws it on the ice? A disenchanted MacT disciple who believed in the summer that MacT had signed the KHL’s best defenseman? Someone of Russian descent disgusted by Eakins’ usage of Yak and Belov?

30. oliveoilers says:

icecastles: I love Hemsky, I think you’d be hard pressed to find even three people outside northern Alberta who have ever heard of a “Hemsky semi-circle”. And I’m pretty sure both it and the fly-by predate the Pardubice Prince.

Meanwhile, MacT’s phone is ringing of the hook with QUALITY offers for the mercurial talent. I suppose if he gets traded to a quality team where nobody has any expectations of him, he could help them with a deep cup run. He does deserve it, I agree, just seems like ‘consistency’ is a dirty word to him and the rest of the team.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds: No, it doesn’t matter in the same way for Marincin as it did for Klefbom.

1. Marincin was born prior to July 1 in his draft year, while Klefbom was born after. That means Marincin will be 27 come July 1, 7 years from starting as a pro (2 years post draft), while Klefbom will only be 26 on the July 1 7 years after starting in NA.By age, Marincin would be a UFA at that time, while by age Klefbom will not be a UFA – he would only have been a UFA had he recorded “7 accrued seasons”, which has been prevented by him spending as much time as he has in the AHL this year.Had he played in the NHL this year (and the next 6), Klefbom would have been a UFA in the summer of 2020.Because Klefbom won’t reach the threshold for this year to count as an “accrued season”, Klefbom won’t be a UFA until the summer of 2021, the first year he’ll qualify by age to be a UFA.

Thanks!

I don’t understand your second point though. I thought it was only NHL accrued seasons that mattered?

32. PunjabiOil says:

mumbai max: Linus Omark

11 Games

0 goals

2 assists

Minus 4

5 shots

Joining Rob Schremp as an Oiler legend

10 for the Sabres. I believe he needs another 5 before the Oilers get a 6th round pick.

Will be interesting what the Sabres do in the 5th game.

33. PunjabiOil says:

thejonrmcleod:
    PunjabiOil,

Could it be Tom Gilbert’s jersey?

34. OilClog says:

PunjabiOil:

I think I’m going to bubble wrap all my Oilers gear and put it in storage for awhile. Probably safest there, protected from whiskey produced rage.

OilClog: I never thought they would actually ever let it get this bad, this is worse then Corson.

36. icecastles says:

PunjabiOil: Could it be Tom Gilbert’s jersey?

That was my first thought.

Some people really can’t let go of that Gilbert trade. Which is so foolish because as Booki?j!ie would say, he was butter soft.

What they really need is to get Steve MacIntyre back here for a second – I mean third – I mean fourth shot. With him anchoring our second line and JF Jaques back for our #1, well… it will add new meaning to the term “anchor”.

37. OilClog says:

Lowetide: Respectfully, I would disagree. We have several miles to go before we reach Corsonville.

38. speeds says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Thanks!

Marincin turned pro 2 years post draft, and will be 27 and a UFA in the summer of 2019 because his birthday fell prior to July 1 in his draft year. Even if he’d played in the NHL all last year and this year, he still wouldn’t have reached 7 accrued seasons prior to the summer of 2019, so the 7 accrued seasons criteria doesn’t matter for him.

It does for Klefbom because even though he turned pro (well, moved to NA) 2 years post draft just like Marincin, his birthday wasn’t until after July 1. By age he wouldn’t have been a UFA 7 years after coming to NA – it would have taken 8 seasons for him. Because of that, it was possible the “7 accrued seasons” criteria could have applied one year earlier (2020) than the age criteria (2021). That is no longer possible because this year won’t, AFAIK, count as an accrued season for Klefbom.

39. icecastles says:

About the jersey toss… after a near full comeback like that, I think (as may have already been mentioned), whomoever tossed it had already made up his mind to do it should the Oilers lose, regardless of effort or how well they played.

As disheartening as it can be, surely it also has to inspire a bit of fire in at least a few of the players to stick it to the doubters and prove them wrong. A sense of the world being against you can often be a pretty good step in bringing a team together and really galvanizing them.

I mentioned early on in the season that this year would be trial by fire. Some players will burn up in it and be with a different team come fall, but the ones who whether it will emerge hardened steel, tougher, smarter, and with a chip on their shoulders that has been missing here for too long.

40. PunjabiOil says:

I started following the Oilers in 1993 (lovely). They were bad at that time, but the out-of-playoffs rebuild was only 4 years, with them being competitive and in the race for a few of those seasons. Slats didn’t dick around – astute trades.

Year 8 into multiple rebuilds, and 30th place within close proximity. At some point, excuse mongering should be thrown out the door.

Frustration has transcended to full blown apathy across the city.

It’s quite sad, actually.

41. vangolf says:

OilClog,

I tuned the oilers out during the corson/my high school years. Quick Coles notes on why corson so vilified or what went wrong.

Quick aside, Carson’s sister came with him to Edmonton and attended my high school (McNally). She threw a party at the corson house and someone stole corson’s Allstar game pants. Corson came to school the following week and basically threatened to kick everyone’s ass to get his pants back.

42. fifthcartel says:

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 2m
    Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Craig MacTavish both in the house to see #Flyers #Bruins.

43. icecastles says:

I wasn’t an Oilers fan during the Corson era (coaching overseas at the time) so I did a quick Google search to bring myself up to speed. Bruce has a good read about it over at Copper & Blue, for anyone else seeking enlightenment.

44. justDOit says:

fifthcartel:
    Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 2m

What could be a scouting mission, is more likely them just wanting to see a good game.

45. justDOit says:

icecastles,

I believe Pat Burns said something like this about Corson: “That guy can take all the fun out of a bar fight.”

46. G Money says:

Ha, XTC! So many years, migawd. Undergrad at the U of A in the eighties. Saw them live at … what was it called then, Dinwoodie? Is it still called that?

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds: You can become a group III UFA two ways, either by age (27) or by having “7 accrued seasons”.

Marincin turned pro 2 years post draft, and will be 27 and a UFA in the summer of 2019 because his birthday fell prior to July 1 in his draft year.Even if he’d played in the NHL all last year and this year, he still wouldn’t have reached 7 accrued seasons prior to the summer of 2019, so the 7 accrued seasons criteria doesn’t matter for him.

It does for Klefbom because even though he turned pro (well, moved to NA) 2 years post draft just like Marincin, his birthday wasn’t until after July 1.By age he wouldn’t have been a UFA 7 years after coming to NA – it would have taken 8 seasons for him.Because of that, it was possible the “7 accrued seasons” criteria could have applied one year earlier (2020) than the age criteria (2021).That is no longer possible because this year won’t, AFAIK, count as an accrued season for Klefbom.

Thanks again.

I think I got it now.

Now watch me ask you about this all over again concerning another player in like 2 months.

48. Bad Seed says:

justDOit:
    icecastles,

Hey, you wouldn’t be much fun either if you were always worried about shitting your pants!

49. Ducey says:

OilClog: I think it’s getting closer then you want to believe and I don’t blame you.. But when Belov jerseys are hitting the ice.. It’s ugly. One of the kids is probably really close to wanting out and sinking this vessel.

Yeah. The jersey tosser couldn’t just be some idiot looking for attention due to his own personal problems. It is a political statement given extra meaning by the selection of the jersey.

I am sure the guy that insisted on standing up and waving every time the puck went into the Oilers end in the third period last night was doing it as a sign of solidarity with those standing up against management. It couldn’t just be because he wanted to go to work at the carwash and say ‘Hey guys, you see me on TV last night?”

50. fifthcartel says:

justDOit,

Most likely, I just hope MacT still isn’t after Coburn.

51. RexLibris says:

I recall hearing MacGregor on Stauffer’s old show at 1260 shortly after he’d been drafted.

MacGregor said that he didn’t particularly like to throw around the term, but he felt Marincin was an “absolute stud” of a player. His words.

My impressions of MacGregor is that he is someone who would prefer to say less than more, so this stuck out to me.

If Marincin-Petry can become a legitimate 2nd pairing defensive group for this team then some work is done and management can move on to focus on other priorities.

Filling voids internally feels like such a luxury right now, until one is reminded that this is what teams are expected to do to some extent.

52. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:
    justDOit,

Most likely, I just hope MacT still isn’t after Coburn.

I wonder if the price has gone up or down.

53. FastOil says:

fifthcartel:
    justDOit,

Most likely, I just hope MacT still isn’t after Coburn.

At this point in the season that is what’s on my mind. Please don’t do something detrimental like trade a young top 6 winger for a soon to fade not that good D. Just sign those guys. Or Yak for Couturier (as much as I like him).

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 11m

EDM MacTavish and Lowe are in the box again today. Already seen #Flyers few times this year

55. Marc says:

I second that. There was pretty much nothing to like about that Corson team.

This team has some likeable players and some dazzling skill. Those early nineties teams had precious little of either.

56. icecastles says:

justDOit:
    icecastles,

57. admiralmark says:

This is really encouraging signs from Marincin and i’m glad he’s been given a shot in the show. But for the love of god can somebody explain why this team insists on throwing their rookie D men to the wolves like this? Straight from the AHL to 1st line pairing and toughest zone starts?! Regardless of how he is performing the Oilers don’t seem to know the best ways to put players in positions to succeed.

58. icecastles says:

admiralmark:

The coach’s job is to win the next game. If Marincin is performing best of the current defensemen, you have to play him as such and hope he can handle it.

That’s why it’s so important for guys to have adequate time and mentoring on the farm: when they get to the NHL, the training wheels come off in a hurry.

Of course, guys don’t usually show up at the beginning of their NHL career and outplay their more senior teammates. This speaks partly to the flaws of our D-corps (not good for Marincin’s development as it could force him to play above his current ability), and partly to his readiness (good for his development – he’s playing the minutes/opposition he is because he’s shown he can handle it).

59. Ducey says:

So it looks like the AHL keeps going during the Oly break. Presumably the Oilers could send Yak and Marincin down (Jultz, Jones, RNH, Belov could go down too)

I’d be tempted to send down Marincin and Yak if I were MacT.

It might just be the jump start Yak needs.

60. Ribs says:

It’s not Corson bad, yet. The players are at least likeable.

The scariest thing is that we’re only at game 53 and are on a long losing streak. The team was supposed to be better than last season’s group and they have less wins to show for it so far with things looking very bleak. You have the coach talking about mini camps at the Olympic break and you wonder what the hell his plans are for the current games being played. Steady downwards as she goes?

I like Eakins. I really do. But it’s time to see some desperation from the man. There’s ways to win single games in this league that might not be the prettiest but nine games down we need to see that the team is capable of grinding one out. Systems be damned. Cheat for offense. Take some penalties. Run some special plays. Takes some risk. Rally the team. Good teams need to be able to do this as well as play a well structured game to get anywhere.

Frustrated with no way out. A breaking point. That’s what we’re leading up to here. Who comes out kicking and screaming? If it’s no one, the team is completely screwed.

We wait….

61. book¡je says:

icecastles: Thank you for saying this, Bohologo.

Sorry to curse.

Tell everyone on Hrushevskoho Street to hang in there. With Nashville in town tomorrow, there is a good chance for a win.

They are protesting about the Oilers, right?

62. admiralmark says:

icecastles,

That is just it. The lack of genuine 1st pairing D on this team has had a detrimental effect on the teams ability to win games. But it is also going to have a detrimental effect on the development of the defensemen that are playing in Edmonton and Oklahoma. Who knows what damage has been done to J.Shultz by forcing him into a role he wasn’t yet suited for? Petry should not be handling 1st Pairing duties with a rookie… The fact they are performing well is a miracle. This is a poor bet by a desperate management team. If we want this team to become a “perennial” winner. These sort of decisions need to stop.

Its also not just on D that strange decisions are being made. Say what you want about Yakupov but the Oilers cannot afford to have this player not develop. This is a first overall pick! So if you want to send him a message and play him on the 4th line.. ok so be it. But when you have an ineffective PP including 5 on 3′s and you refuse to put him out there?! How is that good for his development?

63. Ribs says:

er.. six games down.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Couturier, right guys?

65. book¡je says:

Corson and George Burnett would have brought the Stanley Cup back to edmonton if only the fans had supported them better!

66. Cameron says:

I still have XTC on vinyl. I feel old.

Here’s a link to the band performing ‘Making Plans for Nigel;

My favourite part being the drummer in full jacket/tie gear. Cuz that will be soooo comfortable.

And here is a link to the French pop-jazz-lounge cover by Nouvelle Vague. Don’t ask me why, but hearing 80′s pop songs sung by slim French girls in phonetic English makes me smile;

The Shayne Corson mention brought to mind the incident he had in Florida when he got into a bar fight with a USFL lineman over whether hockey players were tougher than football players. He was an interesting guy.

67. Chris says:

The worst thing about this team is that they are so bad they basically are smothering the optimism that makes you tune in. You turn the game on sportsnet or the radio and they are down by three when the affair has hardly started. I can’t even imagine how horrified Kevin Lowe’s cherished season ticket holders are. I can’t bring myself to watch much of this sad sack spectacle on television let alone pay out good money for an exercise in futility. If I watch a game I want a chance my team is going to win. That is the point of cheering for them. And right now its just another inevitable death march. If it wasn’t for LT and the other blogs I’d likely have stopped paying attention altogether.

68. theres oil in virginia says:

Available for a short while before I remove it:

For those who don’t have access to the games, it’s RNH and Ebs quick show last night.

69. Cameron says:

One other note on Shayne Corson, it may not be widely known but the guy suffered from ulcerative colitis – a disease which causes crippling pain, and is known to lead to depression (and often substance abuse) in those who suffer from it. Corson also came out as suffering from an anxiety disorder (likely related to the colitis).

All of which doesn’t excuse any of his behaviour, but may put it into a different light.

70. justDOit says:

theres oil in virginia,

Puck magic in a phone booth – a phone booth full of sticks!

71. russ99 says:

Cameron:
    I still have XTC on vinyl. I feel old.

Here’s a link to the band performing ‘Making Plans for Nigel;

Wicked. Never heard that French cover band before.

I like the Rembrandts cover of “Nigel” on Testimonial Dinner.

Oranges and Lemons is one of my favorite albums of all time.

72. russ99 says:

Here’s an XTC show on Rockpalast in 82 just before they stopped touring:

73. icecastles says:

book¡je: Tell everyone on Hrushevskoho Street to hang in there.

I’ll be chatting with the Nichna Varta (Maidan’s night watch) very shortly – I will pass on your support to them. It is a huge moral boost to them, hearing so many people from around the world are aware of what’s happening and support their cause. слава Україні! героям Слава!

Don’t know if they are protesting the Oilers, but I’m pretty sure among the Berkut (riot police/goon squad) I saw Shane Corson, Cal Clutterbuck, Mick McGoo, Zach Kassian and Chris Pronger’s wife.

74. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

There was an EJ article a short while back by Jim Matheson on Corson and UC. Matheson has also been diagnosed with the disease, as well as Pisani.

Canada, and specifically Alberta, has a rate of IBS/UC/Crohn’s incidence that exceeds the U.S. by nearly 100 to 1, relative to population. Enviromental factors, genetic predisposition, and dietary considerations are all possible considerations being pursued.

The best medical treatments for UC and Crohn’s so far are from the immune suppressant family, although each person’s experience varies according to their unique situation with the disease.

75. book¡je says:

Wow, the NHL is starting to get in on the Oiler bashing. They added a jersey dodging competition to the skills contest today.

76. teddyturnbuckle says:

Amazing how Nuge was able to keep the play alive at the blue line. There were two or three short passes at the blue line by him alone. Eberle made an even more amazing stick handle at the blue line the shift before to keep the play onside. Can’t trade Eberle.

77. Cameron says:

RexLibris:
    Cameron,

My best friend was diagnosed with Crohn’s when he was 11, and as we grew up he educated me on the condition. It is without a doubt, one of the most insidious diseases out there, in part because one of the chief symptoms is unremmitting agony, and in part because it has so many knock-off effects to the sufferers mental health.

IIRC, Theo Fleury also suffers from it.

78. Cameron says:

russ99,

Very nice :-)

79. OilClog says:

Maybe they’re looking at Boston? Hemsky has a fellow countryman there he plays with, they could use a Nick Schultz for sure! Maybe even a Veteran in Bryz for the run.. Right? lol damn.

80. theres oil in virginia says:

book¡je:
    Wow, the NHL is starting to get in on the Oiler bashing.They added a jersey dodging competition to the skills contest today.

Is it Oilers jerseys? And do they have to wear the jersey if they get hit by it? If so, someone should contact Human Rights Watch. People shouldn’t be subjected to that.
    ;)

81. FastOil says:

icecastles: The quote was actually, “Bars are supposed to be fun. But he turns them into a boxing ring.”

That wasn’t the most memorable quote: “Shayne Corson can go eat s**t’.

Talk about a quotable coach.

82. icecastles says:

FastOil,

Freakin’ love that one.

83. leadfarmer says:

Ducey,

You do realize 2 of those guys are Olympians: Marincin and Belov.

84. art vandelay says:

Hemsky on the Bruins?
    Cup contenders don’t need last-place castoffs.

85. Ducey says:

leadfarmer:
    Ducey,

You do realize 2 of those guys are Olympians:Marincin and Belov.

Well maybe they should go do that then :)

86. OilClog says:

art vandelay:
    Hemsky on the Bruins?
    Cup contenders don’t need last-place castoffs.

Really?

That’s how you view Hemsky.

We’re clearly a different tier of fan, you and I.

87. FastOil says:

Cameron:
    I still have XTC on vinyl. I feel old.

Likewise, I have a few, and feel old. Love the Crash Test Dummies cover of “The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead”. Ellen Reid has a smooth voice.

88. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

They all fall into the IBS spectrum of diseases and yes, Crohn’s is a horrible disease. No cure and the usual prognosis is a lifetime of painful surgeries that gradually reduce one’s ability to absorb nutrients. And for all intents and purposes, oftentimes the flare ups are in no way the fault of the sufferer, they just happen, although there are things that can bring on a flare-up, alcohol being one of them.

I think I remember reading about Fleury having it. Of course, in the course of his life he has dealt with so much other crap (no pun intended) that it probably just feels like one more thing.

Unofficial motto for those suffering from UC/Crohn’s: “yeah, it’s a pain in the ass”.

89. Mr DeBakey says:

A very interesting colitis treatment story:

90. icecastles says:

OilClog: We’re clearly a different tier of fan, you and I.

You are a fan, Oilclog. Posters like Godot and Art are simply trolls.

They doesn’t post to make a point or encourage thinking, they post to get a rise out of people. Making sense or forming a coherent thought isn’t really their M.O. They are entertaining though, in their way. (Granted, it’s not in the way they intend, but still…)

91. icecastles says:

Mr DeBakey:
    A very interesting colitis treatment story:

Wasn’t “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” about ulcerative colitis?

I remember a line, “The girl with colitis goes by….”

92. DeadmanWaking says:

icecastles:
    Find something a little more deserving of the rhetoric.

Somewhere on the internet yesterday I carved someone a new one over lapsing into a haemorrhagic hot flash of simpering nerd need. Then I had to head to the acid-mist shower pod, rinse, peel down, and send my white suit off to the Hazmat dry cleaners.

I guess I’m nicer here than I am elsewhere. Perhaps Lowetide brings out the better angels of my nature. When I have one of those Sherlock moments and the choice morsels start to assemble themselves like beads on string, it’s not always the best idea to immortalise the occasion with the one-tap launch code.

Sometimes in the malign haze of adrenaline as your fingers are tappety tamping bilious spittle into a gushing coxcomb plume–one so brisk it could marionette a dancing wall-puddle onto a hummingbird’s windscreen set to maximum deflector turbowipe–fate hands you an incandescent petard of l’esprit de l’escalier with the pin removed.

Noooooooo cries some small part of your brain from the sonic sweet-spot of the bullet-time chronosynclastic infundibulum, but it’s too late, your right pinky finger has already schnacked the Enter key and severed its spine clean through. All you can to now is sit back, grit one side of your mouth, and expectorate a fresh one into your desk-side whiskey-stopper spittoon (a small one in silver trim, proportioned like a toddler’s plastic beach pail); you notice how the accrued bung heap in this rather incommodious spittoon is cresting the mushroom tide line–again?–while your striking hand, hot off the act, casually gropes a fresh Enter key from the dispenser mechanism of the plush, purple Gonzo PEZ who dangles off a carabiner clip wedged into the macramé undergirdle of the hanging spider plant you’re too unmoved to renovate, from either side of the yard arm.

Hic. You magnihiloquent bastard.

93. icecastles says:

DeadmanWaking,

Some day I have to buy you a beer, DMW.

Fabulous stuff… I have never been so impressed while being called a bastard.

94. cabbiesmacker says:

book¡je:

Wish I’d been there for that but I’m not sure I can heave a cow that far.

And the way the Oilers have played this year? They should sponsor a fan “grocery” tossing event.

95. cabbiesmacker says:

vangolf:
    OilClog,

I’m confused. Why would Shane Corson allow Jimmy Carson’s sister to throw a party at his house?

96. vangolf says:

My bad typing. Carson=corson

97. cabbiesmacker says:

FastOil: Or Yak for Couturier (as much as I like him).

So you’d like a 2C that can basically only kill penalties then Fast? Couturier with another wonderful showing today.

Don’t buy the “it’s his linemates or team excuses” man. If you can get him for Gagner great but he’s not anywhere near worth Yak.

98. bendelson says:

Question IceCastles:

How long have you been sitting on that Beatles/Colitis joke?
    Perhaps it is a classic you bust out whenever the conversation shifts to the IBS spectrum of diseases? Oh that IceCastles!

Comment for DMW:

Damn! You always do this to me…
    I was just about to post the exact same thing.

(OK, I admit I was going to go with ‘orange Fozzy the Bear PEZ’ instead).

99. cabbiesmacker says:

vangolf:
    My bad typing. Carson=corson

Just having some fun while mulling over how many millions it’s going to cost me to correct an overheating issue in a BMW. Starting to feel the same way about the car as I do about the Oilers. “Go ahead and fn explode ya POS!”

100. DeadmanWaking says:

-: one so brisk it could marionette a dancing wall-puddle onto a hummingbird’s windscreen set to maximum deflector turbowipe

+: one so brisk it could marionette a dancing wall-puddle onto a hummingbird’s windscreen with the squeegee blades flip-flapping hysterically at maximum deflector turbowipe

In a send-up of rhetorical excess, either go purple or go home. Couldn’t quite hatch that one over the keyboard.

101. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Couturier, right guys?

102. icecastles says:

Stankewich: quit lurking and contribute something. I know you’re reading this.

103. flyfish1168 says:

Wondering if they are scouting out Johnny Boychuk. A right handed d-man born in Edmonton and played for the Hitmen.

104. icecastles says:

bendelson: How long have you been sitting on that Beatles/Colitis joke?

Oh not long. Think I read it as a misheard lyric in 1991 or 1992.

Mind like a steel trap, have I.

Shame that it’s rusted shut.

105. bendelson says:

Wocka Wocka

106. commonfan14 says:

cabbiesmacker: Are you just echoing the manlove expressed on this blog prior to his draft year or are you seeing something in Couturier I can’t? Dude shows next to know O ability and a 2C should have a little no?

That’s only because the Flyers rushed him to the NHL and ruined him. Shame too, he could have been Couture.

107. icecastles says:

commonfan14: he could have been Couture

Couture, yay!

There you go.

108. GATO BANDIDO says:

I don’t understand the objection to going after Braydon Coburn. He has a very nice Vollman chart and plays a ton of minutes. I actually think he’s just the sort of Dman the Oilers should be after: someone capable of playing first pairing but not a great white whale that breaks the bank.

109. Oiler Al says:

I taught Lowe was not part of the day to day group that decide on player personnel?
    Or maybe he is MacT’s driver.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

He’s scoring 1.58 P/60 5×5 this season, which is in the range of good players:

He’s still really young and he’s scoring that while being given the hard road work:

and he’s not a death trap shot wise.

Basically, he sacrifices some of Gagner’s offence, but is much more reliable in his own end. And, he’s not getting killed by tougher opposition.

He’s young enough and playing well enough against tough dudes that more offence may come…

like the player a lot.

Oiler Al:

I taught Lowe was not part of the day to day group thatdecide on playerpersonnel?
    Or maybe he is MacT’s driver.

Probably shopping in the Philadelphia area.

112. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I traded Gagner and Hemsky today, you’ll hate it. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1934619-10-potential-nhl-trades-that-make-perfect-sense

113. dangilitis says:

I take care of lots of people with ulcerative colitis. None of them are assholes.

114. jp says:

flyfish1168: Gagner for Sutter and a 1st would be good for Oilers. Not sure about a 3rd and 4th from LAK for Hemmer.

My thoughts exactly. I’m not sure Hemsky gets moved at all if that’s the return.

icecastles: You are a fan, Oilclog. Posters like Godot and Art are simply trolls.

It is not trolling when what you post turns out to be the truth.

116. icecastles says:

godot10: It is not trolling when what you post turns out to be the truth.

Complain often enough about enough things, you will eventually be right about something. That’s not “truth” or prescience or insight. That’s coincidence.

117. RexLibris says:

I traded Gagner and Hemsky today, you’ll hate it.

Cammalleri worth more than Hemsky at the deadline!?

Heresy!

Good read. Probably too objective for me to handle today.

I think we may need to start judging MacTavish’s deadline moves cumulatively, in the same way we have with the Smid and Dubnyk deals. In and of themselves, they seem like a poor return, but when you add Bryzgalov to the Smid deal it evens out. Same with Dubnyk and a 3rd for Hendricks and Scrivens.

Hemsky might underwhelm as a return, but perhaps another team overpays somewhere else or it allows the Oilers to take on a bad contract that addresses team need.

Hermeneutics, man.

118. hunter1909 says:

Lowe, MacT, Bucky, Steve Smith…

29th place and falling, after THREE 1st overall picks?

This reads more like the synopsis from Deliverance, than any kind of functioning professional sports team.

I want Eakins fired, asap – I don’t care what he says anymore, I don’t watch his stupid post loss excuse-fests…not when the final score is still available.

I am a troll.

119. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Probably shopping in the Philadelphia area.

Maybe he and MacTavish play good cop/bad cop with Holmgren. MacTavish lays out a trade idea. Holmgren counters and Lowe slams his fists on the table and tells Holmgren to stop jerking them around and spill the beans or he’ll wind up floating in the Delaware.

icecastles: If I come to work every morning for 20 years and tell everyone that the store is going to be robbed today then after 20 years, the store is robbed, would you say I was correct? That I predicted it? That I had some insight that the store was going to be robbed that day?

This is the first time that I’ve made a prediction, a prediction of doom. I’ve only done it once, this year. Not every year. And I did it so most of you guys, who were so hopeful, would be prepared.

He has O, he just spends a lot of time defending.

Here’s his most common opponents this year:

OKPOSO, KYLE
    WHEELER, BLAKE
    HENRIQUE, ADAM
    ALFREDSSON, DANIEL
    MOULSON, MATT
    JAGR, JAROMIR

Here’s his most common opponents 11/12 + 12/13

Remember he’s only in his 3rd year in the NHL so the below numbers are his rookie and rookie +1 years:

MALKIN, EVGENI
    PURCELL, TEDDY
    BOYES, BRAD
    WHEELER, BLAKE
    STEPAN, DEREK
    ELIAS, PATRIK
    ROY, DEREK

All this kid has done is be thrown into the deep end from his first day an swam hard.

So look at his most common opponents then his most common line-mates: (top 4 wingers)

This year:

Read, Downie, Lecavalier, Simmonds

Previous two years:

Talbot, Rinaldo, Read, Vorachek.

Its a testament to him that he scores at all if you look at who he faces and who he faces them with.

He’d be perfect for the Oilers.

He’d face way easier comp and have way better wingers and you’d see the offensive ability he showed in junior.

122. sliderule says:

I have been all over this kid every since the oilers drafted him

It’s not seen him good at least till he got to Nhl.

What I liked him was his statistics,Tall with a big reach and room to fill out.

His junior points were as good or better than a lot of first rounder’s.

His slapshot was measured at 104 mph at skills competition in Regina

Then he comes to AHL and puts up better stats than Brodin but the higher minds say it’s all because he started with Schultz

When he came up to oilers the smarter minds said what is this.There are better options.

It’s early but he is proving the doubters wrong.

123. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

He’d be perfect for the Oilers.

Yup.

124. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: Lowe slams his fists on the table and tells Holmgren to stop jerking them around and spill the beans or he’ll wind up floating in the Delaware.

Philly is a tough town. Edmonton is still on the frontier where fakes like Lowe+MacT get to sell watered down whisky, crooked roulette wheels and ugly hookers because they’re the only game in town.

125. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: Probably shopping in the Philadelphia area.

Perfect! 6-1, buy low, buy low!

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Friedman just reported on HNIC that Lowe offered to go on sabbatical to chill out the fans… Katz turned him down.

127. jp says:

RexLibris: Yup.

Uh huh.

128. hunter1909 says:

I love how there’s this little wanna be clique of Lowetide posters who use hockey as their outlet for leftist driven social change. They detest fighting, for example lol.

It doesn’t particularly bother me. I find it slightly funny, and sad all at the same time.

On the other hand, it’s interesting to do something new, and trailblazing away toward baseball style record keeping in hockey might be sexy to someone.

Oilers hockey has stopped being hockey long ago. They might as well do something to keep out of trouble.

129. hunter1909 says:

oliveoilers: Perfect!6-1, buy low, buy low!

I know I can count on you…my friends…

130. RexLibris says:

hunter1909: Philly is a tough town. Edmonton is still on the frontier where fakes like Lowe+MacT get to sell watered down whisky, crooked roulette wheels and ugly hookersbecause they’re the only game in town.

131. Rondo says:

What type of relationship does Kevin Lowe have with his boss. After being a disaster for 8 years, I can go up to my boss and say “Ill take a sabbatical”

Lowe obviously knows he is untouchable, that is why he offered this hollow sentiment.

132. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker: If you’re trading Gagner for him I’m on that bus but someone suggested Yakupov for SC earlier and that’s a bad trade.

I didn’t see that.

You don’t do that. You don’t trade Yak period IMO.

134. book¡je says:

hunter1909:

I love Couturier, but I wouldn’t trade Yak for him.

136. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

He’s a better option than what the Oilers have now at 2C but saying he’d put up remarkably better offensive numbers is a stretch WG.

By better wingers I assume you are thinking Perron and Yakupov?

If it’s Gagner or any of the other dregs + moving for him I’m all for it but I don’t think Holmgren is that obtuse.

137. Pouzar says:

book¡je: I agree, all those morons talking about the relevance of fighting in the game of hockey when others, like you and I, fully understand without giving it any thought at all, that it is integral to the game. What they don’t understand is that you don’t need to think about most things. You just need to know things. That is indeed the essence of conservatism – knowing that the way things are is the right. Liberalism is hard because all possible ways of doing things must be considered based on an objective evaluation of their merit. Don’t those liberal idiots understand that we don’t have time for all that thinking, we have beer to drink.

Is this a political debate cause I have no idea what you just said.

138. franksterra says:

Woodguy,

I might move him for Couturier and Simmonds

139. bendelson says:

To recap:

Couturier for Yak = bad
    Couturier for Gagner = ridiculous
    Couturier for 2nd OV = bad

Couturier + 16th OV for 2nd OV = remotely possible?

Then:

Gagner for Hamonic = ridiculous
    Gagner + 16th OV = remotely possible?

Equals:

Gagner + 2ndOV for Couturier + Hamonic

Yeah, that is not remotely possible

140. oliveoilers says:

Pouzar: Is this a political debate cause I have no idea what you just said.

Lol,

Liberalism: There IS such a thing as a free lunch.

Conservatism: No there isn’t, lefty pinko scumbag. You owe me.

141. hunter1909 says:

book¡je: I agree, all those morons talking about the relevance of fighting in the game of hockey when others, like you and I, fully understand without giving it any thought at all, that it is integral to the game.What they don’t understand is that you don’t need to think about most things.You just need to know things.That is indeed the essence of conservatism – knowing that the way things are is the right.Liberalism is hard because all possible ways of doing things must be considered based on an objective evaluation of their merit.Don’t those liberal idiots understand that we don’t have time for all that thinking, we have beer to drink.

That line of humor was probably hilariously funny in 1973.

In 2014, a world your formerly hip extreme left wing thinking runs the White House plus the EU, leaving hilariously the former USSR Russia standing as the biggest free state left standing.

In 2014 the left aren’t hip anymore. The left are the establishment.

142. jp says:

cabbiesmacker: He’s a better option than what the Oilers have now at 2C but saying he’d put up remarkably betteroffensive numbers is a stretch WG.

By better wingers I assume you are thinking Perron and Yakupov?

I agree the quality of wingers wouldn’t be radically better with the Oilers, but the kid has been given TOUGH minutes in his young career:

11-12 3rd toughest QoC and 40.3%ZS
    12-13 3rd toughest QoC and 32.1%ZS
    13-14 1st toughest QoC and 45.3%ZS

He also doesn’t get a much PP time (0.45, 1.49 and 1.71 5X4TOI/60, 10th, 10th and 9th among forwards on the Flyers). And he scored at a real nice clip in Jr without being dragged along by better linemates (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=115908). His career line per 82 GP is 12-18-30 (on pace for 36 pts this year).

And he just turned 21 last month! He looks to me like a spectacular candidate for the Oilers 2C, who’d almost certainly put up north of 40 Pts a year in that role (likely much more).

bendelson:

Couturier + 16th OV for 2nd OV = remotely possible?

I’d make that trade in a second.

Or Couturier and Coburn for Gagner and #2OV.

Simmonds would be nice as well (large understatement there).

Maybe Couturier, Coburn and Simmonds for Yakupov, Gagner and #2OV.

The Flyers are tied for the 8th playoff spot though. They’re not going to send away half their team for Gagner and futures.

143. book¡je says:

hunter1909: That line of humor was probably hilariously funny in 1973.

In 2014 the left aren’t hip anymore. The left are the establishment.

Yes, clearly the world is run by 1970s style ‘left wingers’. I am pretty sure Reagan would be run out of Washington today for his liberal economic ideals.

Anyway, your comments are simply nonsensical leaving me to believe you are either trolling or actually quite clueless. In either case, I will leave you to it. Next time there is a discussion about the role of fighting in NHL hockey please feel free to ignore it.

144. jp says:

Reality aside, this looks nice to me:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Couturier-Simmonds
    Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Jones-Arcobello-Hendricks
    Gazdic-Joensuu

Coburn-Petry
    Ference-JSchultz
    Marincin-Belov
    Larsen-Potter

145. mumbai max says:

hunter1909: That line of humor was probably hilariously funny in 1973.

In 2014 the left aren’t hip anymore. The left are the establishment.

No. It was funny.

By better wingers I assume you are thinking Perron and Yakupov?

I don’t think its a stretch because look at the line up of piss cutters he has to play against in PHI.

He wouldn’t see that playing 2C for the Oilers.

Yes, thinking Perron/Yak and softer minutes.

Here’s who Gagner saw most from 2011-2013.

Not butter soft, but miles easier than what Couturier saw:
    Player
    HEJDUK, MILAN

bendelson:
    To recap:

Couturier for Yak = bad
    Couturier for Gagner = ridiculous
    Couturier for 2nd OV = bad

Couturier + 16th OV for 2nd OV = remotely possible?

Then:

Gagner for Hamonic = ridiculous
    Gagner + 16th OV = remotely possible?

Equals:

Gagner + 2ndOV for Couturier + Hamonic

Yeah, that is not remotely possible

I’d do Couturier for 2nd OV if Ekblad’s gone.

Don’t see why PHI trades their 2C for a pick though.

148. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I’d do Couturier for 2nd OV if Ekblad’s gone.

Don’t see why PHI trades their 2C for a pick though.

Because Holmgren? Is that a thing?

149. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

Yes, in this scenario, it’s all about Ekblad.

Do the Oilers covet the 18 yr old big blueliner over a young but established big 2C in Couturier?
    The return for Gagner could be a big factor in answering this question for the Oilers…

And if they prefer the 2C, does it work for the Flyers?

It appears the Flyers do have depth up the middle so the idea of recent draft pick Morin with Ekblad on the backend could be enticing (just as the idea of Nurse and Ekblad together on the Oilers intrigues).

It is an interesting hypothetical.

bendelson:
    Woodguy,

Yes, in this scenario, it’s all about Ekblad.

And if they prefer the 2C, does it work for the Flyers?

It is an interesting hypothetical.

I think it really depends on who they rate higher, Ekblad or Nurse.

I know MacT isn’t big on waiting anymore. That will play into it as well.

If you have Nurse ahead of Ekblad (many do) and you can turn the pick into filling another massive hole, you just have to imo.

RexLibris: Because Holmgren? Is that a thing?

It should be.

They’re looking for another Pronger and might have Ekblad rated that high.