ABOUT BRANDON

One of my favorite things about being a hockey fan is following the progress of these young prospects. For obvious reasons, Brandon Davidson is a favorite. I won’t detail the stories again, but he missed a year early for financial reasons (any Canadian parent with a child in hockey can relate) and he had to overcome cancer to get where he is today while doing the job he has today.

Incredible prelude.

The key then becomes the story, and early this year he was recalled to the Oilers. Music! Except he didn’t play, got sent out and struggled mightily. In December, I ranked him as the #22 prospect in the system.

• #22 D Brandon Davidson, Oklahoma City Barons (24, 0-2-2 -10). It’s been an up and down fall for the young man, he was called up to the NHL (didn’t play) early on and then struggled during the rest of the schedule. The problem for all of the depth D prospects in this organization is the sheer number of blue chip D above them. I’m cheering like hell for this young man. He was #21 a year ago.

A review of my top 20 suggests the uphill battle Davidson faces in making it with the Oilers.

• #1 Darnell Nurse
  • #2 Oscar Klefbom
  • #4 Martin Marincin
  • #7 Anton Belov
  • #8 Dillon Simpson
  • #9 Martin Gernat
  • #13 Taylor Fedun
  • #14 David Musil
  • #19 Erik Gustafsson

THE GOOD NEWS!

• Oct-Dec: 27, 0-2-2 -14
  • Since Jan 1: 17, 0-4-4 +8

We all know that trusting plus minus is a fail, but it does indicate he’s playing in better days recently. That’s backed up by some specific verbal:

• Willis: (Brad) Hunt was also full of praise for his regular partner on the evening, Brandon Davidson, and said he’s just improved since Christmas. Davidson, who had two points and a minus-14 rating though 27 games at the new year, has four assists and a plus-eight rating in 17 games in 2014. He was a rock on Saturday, not only providing strong defence but delivering a (clean) bone rattling hit that resulted in a scrum in the defensive zone.

Now. Back to that prospect list. Craig MacTavish is going to cull the herd—maybe this summer—and the depth will become very important. Brandon Davidson’s performance since the new year suggests we should consider him as a possible part of the future for the Oilers. Considering the competition, that’s a tremendous accomplishment.

I remain a fan of Brandon Davidson.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

15 Responses to "ABOUT BRANDON"

1. jp says:

Wasting no time moving on from the Olympic hockey LT!

I love following the prospects too, so thanks for keeping us updated.

Davidson obviously has about as good a back story as one can. Really nice to see him playing well in 2014. There were other factors involved, but he played his best hockey towards the end of the season (and playoffs) last year too.

He’s got a lot of talent and pedigree ahead of him, but he does have the look of a guy who could eventually be a useful depth player. The callup earlier shows the Oilers have noticed him. Steve Staios might be his absolute ceiling, but well, there’s a lot of value in that. A lot of the players ahead of him will be lost to attrition/trades, so he’ll get his chance if he keeps playing well.

2. RexLibris says:

Davidson is one of the few player/prospects who could play for *ugh* Calgary and I’d probably still cheer for him…at least mostly. That Flames colour scheme just turns everything sour.

3. Lynas1 says:

I’m a little worried that they don’t sign Taylor Fedun. He’s a guy I route for the same way people have been routing for Davidson. I hope they don’t get rid of him.

Lynas1:
    I’m a little worried that they don’t sign Taylor Fedun.He’s a guy I route for the same way people have been routing for Davidson.I hope they don’t get rid of him.

Coburn-J Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-????

The question mark could be Potter, LArsen, Belov, Fedun or any number of kids beginning with Klefbom. Is Fedun a possible? I’d say yes.

I’m finding out that many can’t post, so have eliminated the need to sign in. Until I can fix it, we’re free to roam about the forest. Respect please

6. Derek says:

I’m not wearing any pants.

Well, that’s your normal behaviour so that’s okay.

8. jp says:

Lowetide: If we look at this from the NHL pov—the Oilers adding 1 NHL D this summer like they did a year ago:

Coburn-J Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-????

I guess if the Oilers think he’s a real option he’ll get a chance to “try out” after the trade deadline. I imagine he’ll have to climb over a bunch of guys in training camp to win that spot regardless though, and I wouldn’t bet on it personally. It is possible though.

I guess you could argue MacT only added 1 “real” NHL D last summer, but he did put a lot of emphasis on depth. The Oilers sent away Whitney, Fistric and Peckham, and replaced them with Ference, Belov, Larsen and Grebeshkov. That’s not including Klefbom who was also expected to challenge for a job at camp. So you could as easily argue they added 5 guys who had NHL experience and/or could be expected to contribute at the NHL level. I’d be very surprised if MacT didn’t take a similar approach this summer which would leave Fedun in tough.

I hope they re-sign him, but I’d feel better if he’s 8 or 9 on the depth chart to start TC. I’d prefer they bring Belov back penciled in as the #6 or 7. I’ve only been able to watch bits of Russia at the Olympics, but it sounds like he’s a different player on the big ice. He certainly hasn’t adjusted fully to the NHL yet, but if he can skate well enough for the Olympics (on a good team) he can skate well enough for the NHL. It’s just a matter of him adjusting to the speed and angles etc. I think he’ll do it eventually. Belov is only 2 years older than Fedun too – they’ve both done most of their growing.

9. marty mcscorely says:

please improve the defence this up coming summer, everything else will look after itself.

10. bar_qu says:

Wait, this was a “wearing pants suggested” blog?

I’ve been doing this all wrong.

11. Pajamah says:

It’s so weird to say, because our defense is currently so terrible, but the Oilers potentially have the making of 4-5 NHL defensemen in the next 5 years.

Have to say Marincin has made it, Klefbom and Nurse will get there shots for sure.

Whether we draft Ekblad, or Gernat, Simpson, or Davidson might make it.

The only thing in the way of these kids is our elusive 1D to be brought in. No current defenseman is a lock to be here for the next 5 seasons, excluding Jultz. Could be a whole lotta crazy turnover for a while

bar_qu:
    Wait, this was a “wearing pants suggested” blog?

I’ve been doing this all wrong.

We sent letters, but that all came back unopened! We’re a ‘reading ability optional’ blog, so we assumed…

13. flyfish1168 says:

Wow our Olympic team sure having tough time scoring. Isn’t only going to get tougher. Kunitz doesn’t belong. I believe Hall would have been a better choice. Imho

14. SK Oiler Fan says:

Didn’t know soccer had become a winter Olympic sport. Boring
    I know it’s only one game, but If that game was typical in the NHL I think I’d find better things to do. Looked like Yzerman agreed. He was shaking his head after the ot winner.
    I’m guessing the scoring chances ended up 10 to 5?
    I’m frustrated, I can’t imagine how frustrated the Canadian players were. It can’t all be the big ice. Obviously 5 players buying in to a no risk, retreat, and collapse game is required to shut down the most talented team ever assembled. I just think something isn’t right with the game when a team can play like that and still be one shot away from winning.