BELOV

I’m not sure what they’ll do with Anton Belov. He’s an interesting character—size, calm, can move the puck and play with an edge—but there does seem to be a gap between Belov and the Oilers future. He didn’t dress for the last 4 games before the break, and hasn’t played 20 minutes in a night since December 21. If we graphed out Belov’s usage under Dallas Eakins, the down beat would have started around Christmas and ended with the 4 HS.

• Dmitry Chesnokov: “If I have to describe him in one sentence, I’d say that the past season, and considering it was a lockout season so there were a lot of NHL players in the KHL, he was probably, unofficially the best defenceman in the KHL. This is the best way to describe him. He was one of the brighter spots on the Russian national team at the World Championships. Everybody knows the … performance that team had, but he was one of the players who stood out. The amount of improvement he has shown the past few years along with his e maturity, I think Edmonton has got a great, great player.

ANTON BELOV PLAYER CARD belov player card1

The Oilers are playing Mark Fraser over him currently, and that’s a shame. Belov’s not going to kill this thing offensively but he can do some things, and his Corsi for 5×5% suggests he’s not the problem.

Is he another Jan Hejda? The resume suggests he has enough value to get another NHL shot. Will it be Edmonton?

56 Responses to "BELOV"

1. wood99 says:

If his corsi says he good, it must be so according to all our analytics geniuses. Sign him to an obscene contract….lol

FINALLY someone who gets it! :-)

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been harping on this player since before he arrived in EDM.

Since he’s got here I’ve wavered from impressed to frustrated, mostly due to a few big gaffes.

But, the one thing I’ve been pimping forever is that ever since that first spate of scratches (in favor of N. Schultz), is that he’s not getting his due from the coach.

He is still adjusting to a couple of things: he admitted after the first scratch that it was probably good as he was having trouble adjusting to so many games (they practice a lot more in the K and play less). And, obviously all Euro players go through a rink-adjustment.

But, the odd scratch to “re-set” for whatever reason and what Eakins has done can’t be ironed out.

There’s a disconnect here. And, I think it’s “size!”

I think MacT sold himself and Eakins on Belov as having more jam (we talked about this in the offseason when we googled the guy and came up with a bunch of youtube clips of Belov being a badass). Well, that hasn’t translated. Sure, we’ve seen the odd big hit, but not a violent or near-crazy player and certainly not a player in the mold of the classic “stay-at-home, get out shot, clear the crease” mold.

I think Eakins is choosing that old model of D for his bottom pair over Belov. That explains the Schultz and Fraser moves (somewhat).

———
    there are other explanations too: the one I mentioned above (rest, basically); showcasing NS; giving new guy his due; etc.

but they can’t explain it all IMO.

4. WeirsBeard says:

What changed from their pursuit of him as a free agent to his recent status?

I don’t know what’s wrong in having him back. Not old enough to degrade quickly, but old enough to be able to HS without harming development.

Did they think he would be more aggressive(either in puck pursuit or the rough stuff), given the KHL highlights?

5. Younger Oil says:

As bad as it sounds, I think this goal might have been the nail in Belov’s coffin.

To my eye he’s been playing significantly less since then.

It’s really too bad, he’s probably our 5th best defenceman. They’d better get something for Nick Schultz at the deadline after playing him this much when Belov has been much better.

6. OilClog says:

They keep talking on TSN about how Canada has 5 of the top 10 scorers. Didn’t we leave two of them in Canada? Lol

Younger Oil:

To my eye he’s been playing significantly less since then.

I remember that play. Lordy. Still, I think Belov is one of the 6 best defensemen on the team. I think he might be traded at the deadline.

8. Hammers says:

If his traded and based on Eakins playing Fraser & N. Schultz he probably will be then the coach and manager are making a huge mistake . You use Hedja as your example and we now know what a mistake that was . Belov needed time to get used to the NHL , the Oilers , the coaches (or lack off),the travel , the lack of preperation time (# of games we play ) . Another team is about to get a damn good 4-5 “D” in my opinion . On this team I would love to see him with Marincin playing 2nd pairing tough minutes . Problem is who plays with 1st Petry then J.Schultz . I rate Belov above Ference as well , just saying .

calm

Slow to turn too.

I said Belov has slow feet and someone pointed out that he’s not a slow skater and they were right.

I think Belov is slow to turn his feet when his opponent make him turn his feet.

That’s the same as being a step slow in a straight ahead race.

Dmen generally don’t have to skate straight ahead fast unless they were out of position so lateral speed is more important and I think Belov lacks that, or at the very least the footwork.

I have no idea if it has to do with Dmen gaps on international ice.

Probably, he’s a decent hockey player.

10. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Probably, he’s a decent hockey player.

Probably.

Playing for the Oilers, we really have no way of knowing.

11. elpolodiablo says:

Unfortunately the longer they keep Eakins the more talent they are going to wash away. MacT said it was an unconventional decision to fire your coach after 48 games when you were looking for an assistant for him and if it didn’t work out he would be held accountable. Fast forward 60 games in and they have the second worst record in the league and there is actual concern they might deal Yakupov. I’m done with the oilers can’t bear to say it, been a fan since childhood I was a 5 year old kid watching Gretzky, Messier, Kurri , Coffey and Fuhr. If they trade Yakupov and these guys haven’t lost their job I’m done

12. Oiler fan says:

That would be a damn shame.
    If he’s traded I’d see that as the exact opposite
    of getting good players and keeping good players.
    Yes there’s a big learning curve but I’ve seen positive progress
    in him this year.
    His upside is worth the wait, he has tools we definetly need.
    But the question is…does oilers coaching have the ability
    to teach this guy the finer points of the NHL or do they
    turn to Mac and say “there’s nothing more I can do with this guy”? Then what happens?
    And I know Fraser is getting a tryout shot here but man……..
    have you seen that guy move….. Let alone move the puck???
    Its like a slow…..repeating accident. Handles the puck
    like a grenade.

13. whiskeytangoeberle says:

wood99,

great post

14. whiskeytangoeberle says:

great post

15. Oiler fan says:

Woodguy:
    calm

Slow to turn too.

That’s the same as being a step slow in a straight ahead race.

I have no idea if it has to do with Dmen gaps on international ice.

Probably, he’s a decent hockey player.

So they take a tryout on Mary Fraser. Slow and slower.
    (Facepalm)
    I have noticed that Belov is quite effective using contact along the walls as opposed to chasing along the wall and stick checking though. He’s pretty good at pinning along the boards and srtipping the puck from there.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m not defending Belov on that Yandle goal, but I seem to recall that he had been on the ice an obscene amount of time just as that play at the blue line occurred, and then the subsequent foot race resulting in the goal. I’m not making excuses for that play, I just think you have to take into account how fresh he was/wasn’t when judging that foot race.

17. hunter1909 says:

Eakins was perhaps 2-3 games away from being sacked at one point. Why? Because he was failing to achieve his targets. Most of the team was playing terrible. Yakupov was regressing like an abandoned orphan, Justin Shultz was another MIA.

Dubnyk meanwhile, was single handedly ruining everything, by being worthless under the new equipment regulations.

Eakins might well turn out to be an excellent NHL coach. However, having 6 rings plus rookie GM MacT, along with the ‘Terrible Twins’ of Katz’s pajama parties helping to prop up the bench isn’t exactly a healthy environment for our favorite Florida-born coach.

Had the team lost another 2-3 times more after that ghost-written letter purportedly hand written by Mister Rexall himself, Eakins would have probably been replaced.

Around 20 games back I started noticing improved play especially coming from the defence. A great big FU to everyone who disses Gadzic/Hendricks, who add spirit to the team. It appears the current stats hysteria reflects the societal current which elevates global warming to faith status. Either you’re in or you’re out with the geeks. Fine, I prefer to enjoy the games myself, but obviously the terribleness of the team has led many into this new fangled stats thing. While I’m sure they serve a purpose, I’m also suspicious of anything new and unproven. Tonight’s argument underlines this point.

The Oilers are still terrible, but with great goalies everything is possible. Yaks has started playing exponentially better, especially with actual top 6 line mates instead of Eakin’s bonehead decision to make an example out of him.

The next time this team makes the playoffs is anyone’s guess.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: I’m torn on whether to offer him a contract-ideally he’s your #7 guy that can play either side and sit in the press box when asked to. We’re paying him $1.5M right now..is that good value for a #7 guy..? I don’t think so.

He’ s on an ELC. He’s not making that much. That money goes to Grebs.

Next year, though, he’s need somewhere between 1.5-2M I’d guess to stay in the NHL. He turned down a lot of money from the K to come here and judging by the Olympic selection, they still think highly of him in Russia.

I may be biased, but, I try to lock him in for 1.5-2M x 2.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Anyone starved for hockey can tune into the PA-CAL game here

Draisaitl vs. Chase (and Virtanen)

Oiler fan: So they take a tryout on Mary Fraser. Slow and slower.
    (Facepalm)
    I have noticed that Belov is quiteeffective using contact along the walls as opposed to chasing along the wall and stick checking though. He’s pretty good at pinning along the boards and srtipping the puck from there.

Agreed.

Better at that than most Oilers.

Slow feet hurt him in open ice though.

Gerta Rauss,

That’s not why I think he’s slow.

You’re right, it was the end of a long shift and he was gassed.

Different than the deficiencies in how he move his fee though.

22. book¡je says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He’ s on an ELC. He’s not making that much. That money goes to Grebs.

I may be biased, but, I try to lock him in for 1.5-2M x 2.

His actual income depends upon what that $600,000 in bonuses is. Perhaps it is for showing up for 5 games or something.

23. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I stand corrected-there appears to be a $600k bonus lurking in that contract though.

Maybe I’m being optimistic but when I construct my D for next season, Belov isn’t in the top 6, so my point stands about what you view as value when paying your #7 guy ( and, subsequently, whether Belov fits in that pay scale)

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Draisaitl already with an assist 1 minute into the game. Assist to Morrisey.

25. Jigger says:

PA and Calgary are on Shaw right now. Check out Chase and the newest potential top pick. It’s in HD on 303 shaw in Red Deer

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I hear you both on the bonuses… but we don’t generally refer to a player’s NHL salary inclusive of bonuses… simply isn’t the norm.

It’s a fair point though considering the ELC, which always have bonuses… but again, I don’t see how we can read this as anything but a bargain.

27. oliveoilers says:

Marine Corps marching song:

I don’t know, but I’ve been told;
    Belov’s sideburns five mile long.

28. spoiler says:

What a goal by Virtanen.

29. frjohnk says:

spoiler,

Yeah no doubt. He is extremely fast with beauty hands.

30. spoiler says:

Helluva pass.

31. spoiler says:

Chase gets an assist. Won a battle behind the net, and then makes a great pass out to the slot.

32. frjohnk says:

33. auzy11 says:

I think the kid Belov has potential,but once again its all about ice time!!!

34. justDOit says:

Hey, the AHL skills competition is on hockeystreams in the ‘on demand’ section!

35. spoiler says:

Belov… I’d think if they wanted to trade him, they’d be playing him. Tough to scout a guy sitting in the press box. I’m guessing that he’s only moth-balled while Fraser gets a fair audition.

I like what he’s done so far this year. He has no familiarity with the ice size and angles, nor with the players in this league, their speed, moves, reach, strength, aggressiveness. Another player who has had to re-learn habits. At the speed of the NHL game even good players can be made to look pretty stupid pretty fast. I think there has been caution and conservativeness to his play as he adjusts. He’s not used to this number of games and it is nice to see that the Oilers seem aware of that and aren’t over-playing him.

Now it is a matter of him finding the consistency to be an every day NHL player.

I haven’t noticed any issues with mobility or pivots, but I will watch for this more closely the next time he plays. These problems sometimes show temporarily too, as a player nurses minor injuries.

36. Ice Sage says:

Let’s see Belov play with better players in SOchi.
    He’s done well for his first year in the league.

37. spoiler says:

frjohnk: Draisatl has great hands, great vision, but looks like he has heavy feet. Or maybe I’m making the mistake of comparing his speed to Virtanen. The kid can flat out fly.

I don’t know… Draisatl made a couple of outside moves with nice acceleration. I wonder how recent his growth spurt was because to my eye he has a little trouble making cuts and he’s not very aggressive physically. He has great size and while he uses his reach he doesn’t his strength/weight. Not tonight anyway. But his passing is certainly top end.

38. Hammers says:

spoiler:
    Belov… I’d think if they wanted to trade him, they’d be playing him.Tough to scout a guy sitting in the press box.I’m guessing that he’s only moth-balled while Fraser gets a fair audition.

I like what he’s done so far this year.He has no familiarity with the ice size and angles, nor with the players in this league, their speed, moves, reach, strength, aggressiveness.Another player who has had to re-learn habits. At the speed of the NHL game even good players can be made to look pretty stupid pretty fast.I think there has been caution and conservativeness to his play as he adjusts.He’s not used to this number of games and it is nice to see that the Oilers seem aware of that and aren’t over-playing him.

I haven’t noticed any issues with mobility or pivots, but I will watch for this more closely the next time he plays.These problems sometimes show temporarily too, as a player nurses minor injuries.

Consistency to be an every day NHL player . Good point but our problem is the only guys showing consistency are Petry & Marincin . J.Schultz gets the most minutes but is up & down like a toilet seat . Then there is Ference ; yea his consistent if only playing 15-16 minutes on the 3rd pairing and last is Nultz & Fraser who won’t be in the nhl next year . Potter & Larsen have been used but really to no effect . The best hits this year have been from Belov not Fraser and thats all Fraser has to offer . One other thing didn’t management screw up Belov’s papers so he also missed a week to ten days of training camp . I say keep Belov & jettison Schultz ,Fraser , Larsen & Potter

39. Beaker says:

No imperical evidence to back this up but Belov seems like hes a great complimentary guy. Pair him with a good partner and youll get some dynamite but pair him with shit and youll get just that.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: I wonder how recent his growth spurt was because to my eye he has a little trouble making cuts and he’s not very aggressive physically.

1st goal

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker:

there is evidence for this:

wowy with 19 and 2: great

wowy with 15 and 36: not great

42. gcw_rocks says:

It has amazed me the way the Oilers have handled Belov. This is a player that obviously had success in the KHL, but had never played and NHL game. Before he had ever played a game MacT started talking about him playing as high as 3-4 in the rotation. Nuts.

Then, the team throws him out there with bad (Schultz Sr.) or seriously flawed (Larsen) hockey players and blames him for getting crushed. And while the stats show he plays reasonably well with decent hockey players, the Oilers have so few of them, they can’t afford to have him learning as high up the batting order has Petry and Schultz Jr. need to play. So, instead of sheltering him, giving him decent line mates and treating him with patience in a lost season to see if he really can play, they HS him and play crappy defenders like Schultz Sr and Fraser instead,

Belov never had a chance.

#Because Oilers

43. book¡je says:

VanOil:
    This is an excellent article.

Agreed. Its a great post by Jen Scrivens about her time in LA and how a trade hits. Apparently, she used to play hockey and was coaching a girls team in LA.

44. auzy11 says:

very true belov has never really had a chance at all

45. Beaker says:

Romulus Apotheosis: there is evidence for this:

wowy with 19 and 2: great

wowy with 15 and 36: not great

46. Ivan says:

Romulus Apotheosis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2EuHbwXcA

1st goal

47. russ99 says:

Belov is UFA this year, so it’s hard to project what he could do with better teammates when he could be gone this summer.

If they can sign him cheap for a few years and they can work with him, we may have something. IMO, he’s a much better option than Potter or Fedun for the 6th/7th D next year.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    It has amazed me the way the Oilers have handled Belov.This is a player that obviously had success in the KHL, but had never played and NHL game.Before he had ever played a game MacT started talking about him playing as high as 3-4 in the rotation.Nuts.

Then, the team throws him out there with bad (Schultz Sr.) or seriously flawed (Larsen) hockey players and blames him for getting crushed.And while the stats show he plays reasonably well with decent hockey players, the Oilers have so few of them, they can’t afford to have him learning as high up the batting order has Petry and Schultz Jr. need to play.So, instead of sheltering him, giving him decent line mates and treating him with patience in a lost season to see if he really can play, they HS him and play crappy defenders like Schultz Sr and Fraser instead,

Belov never had a chance.

#Because Oilers

This isn’t really the case.

Follow that WOWY link. Most of his time was spent with 19 and 2. And he wasn’t the one being sheltered.

With 19 it looks a lot more like 77 was the staid vet presence.

With 2 was one of those magical pairings where both players play well together and poor apart. Neither was sheltering the other. Just a good pairing.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker: i didnt mean there wasnt any of that evidence just that i didnt personally have it because im no good at knowing where to look stuff up and im average at best with advanced stat stuff.

Well, your instinct are pretty good then.

I was just trying to support your point, not call you out or anything.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ivan: Home town announcer has christened Leon the “Deutschland Dangler”. Which is possibly legendary.

He’s pretty sweet. And that’s a good handle.

51. hunter1909 says:

russ99:

Yes, but you seem to forget: Oilers love their gritty midgets(Arcobello) and their hopeless case losers(Fedun).

Oilers MO: No worries losing Gagner for nothing much, Belov just because…etc. So long as those 1st tier fans keep up their subscriptions, everything is on course.

52. hunter1909 says:

…and the stats people will continue to circle jerk themselves into paroxysms of collective superiority.

53. GriffCity says:

Belov is ok. He has shown improvement and if he signs again for cheap then he is a bargain. After NSchultz gets traded in a couple of weeks for a 5th round pick Belov will get more and more ice time towards then end of the season and get to showcase himself to see if he should stay or not.

54. Big Dan says:

Let’s face it, we hoped for more from Belov. The fans did. MacT did.

We can blame the crappy team, the crappy coach, how he wasn’t given a chance, an adjustment period… excuses, excuses.

This is not Jan Hejda. I recall him being a terrific hockey player and being disappointed with MacT’s use of him + them not resigning him.

Belov is mediocre. Not tough or physical; certainly no edge. Not much offense. Not a great skater.

Yeah, he’s better than Potter & Fraser & Larsen & Grebeshkov (who will all leave this summer to make room for Nurse & a veteran upgrade). I hope MacT aims higher – he could stay as a #7 for an affordable contract but my guess is he’ll find a better opportunity elsewhere; likely Pittsburgh. Let him go; he’s meh. He’s a “nice try”.

??? – J.Schultz