CANADA V LATVIA, OLYMPICS

This might require all your fingers and some of your toes to count ‘em up. The Finns shocked Russia today, I don’t know that they can get by the Swedish yellow submarine but a Canada-Finland gold medal game would be epic!

Go Canada! But have mercy.

90 Responses to "CANADA V LATVIA, OLYMPICS"

1. Colieo87 says:

Bye bye Russia.. Hey hey hey goodbye.

2. Hammers says:

Best team won . Good for Finland ..Big question is who wins in Semi’s Sweden or Finland / Canada or USA . Should be 2 great games . Final I want is Canada vs Finland .

3. nycoil says:

Gotta love the Finns. That blue jersey is a thing of beauty, too. Congrats to Teemu and co. The better team won over the better individuals. Hated and admired that 3rd period trap at the same time. Hope MacT and Eakins were scouting this game and maybe we can sign a couple more Finns this summer. And if we are sticking to adding old boys to management I think old number 17 might know a littlr something about winning. Rask in any elimination game is a scary thing to face.

LT, get good Finns, keep good Finns!

4. DeadmanWaking says:

I guess Nichushkin is now ruined for life. Body language. Wonder how well he actually played.

Russia eliminated by Tuukka Rask

Granlund moved up the boards, broke past two defensemen and fed Selanne for the Finn captain’s 22nd goal in a record-tying six trips to the Olympics. The 43-year-old Selanne extended his own record for the oldest player to score in an Olympics.

Finland scored again on the power play early in the second, with Granlund collecting Selanne’s rebound and sliding in a backhand from a sharp angle. Granlund, who turns 22 in a week, hadn’t been born when Selanne played in his first Olympics in 1992.

Mikael Granlund: best goal 2011 IIHF World Championship

Finnish flash grenade.

5. Clay says:

I can’t imagine the beating that the Russian team is taking in the Russian media today… and for the foreseeable future.

Providing Canada can find their way past Latvia, that US team scares me.

6. Colieo87 says:

You know watching Canada first elimination game today is a little scary but we should win against Latvia, But DON’T count them out and the if Canada vs the states comes true they scare me too. HOLD <E

7. book¡je says:

I’m Canadian, but I love rooting for the underdog – go Latvia!!!

Note: I only say this because there is 0% chance of them winning.

What little of saw of Belov today was not good.

Had a real tough game.

Was 4th man back on the Granlund steal – Selanne goal.

9. nycoil says:

Oh, and I’d give up our 1st rounder this year + whatever needed for Maatta without hesitation, but I think there’s zero chance Pittsburgh lets him go now.

10. Zangetsu says:

Thank gord yak didn’t make the team. Putin is gonna have all their heads.

11. Zangetsu says:

Latvia has always been my favorite underdog. They are nowhere near as good as our squad, but I don’t like the overconfidence on this blog. There is no doubt in my mind the swiss could upset us, and latvia just upset the swiss. They will come to play today, and the cros by crosby better too.

12. Ice Sage says:

Things are shaping up well for Canada. They shouldn’t spend too much vs Latvia. US haven’t played any defensively sound teams (and won’t vs Czechs), so I’m not as impressed – heck they squeaked out a victory over Russia which lost to a team Canada squeaked by…
    North America vs Scandinavia / Nordic Countries for gold? – sounds right for 2014 hockey supremacy – will the big ice favour the latter?
    Good tourney

13. VanOil says:

I believe that Canada should be embracing the Defense scoring as a strategy against trap teams that collapse to the net on the wide ice. The biggest problem in the NHL and International hockey is that coaches by enlarge play not to lose, rather than to win. I don’t know how to change this but if you could it would do more for the game than changing ice size or talent levels. Maybe a NBA like shot clock or an over and back style rule.

14. Oilanderp says:

VanOil,

Agreed. I’m interested to see how many Latvian legs are broken by the end of this one. Still, it appears Latvia plays an aggressive swarm of some kind, and not a trap at all. If they continue that against Canada, this one could get out of hand pretty quickly!

15. theres oil in virginia says:

My look at the Swe-Fin semi

You nailed that Sweden game yesterday. Nice job. I thought the Slovenians would have more fight in ‘em.

I guess Finland over Russia counts as a big upset – there had to be one. I wonder if there’ll be more. USA-CAN and SWE-FIN would set up as a nice semifinal round.

16. VanOil says:

Oilanderp:
    VanOil,

Agreed.I’m interested to see how many Latvian legs are broken by the end of this one.Still, it appears Latvia plays an aggressive swarm of some kind, and not a trap at all.If they continue that against Canada, this one could get out of hand pretty quickly!

Agreed, Lativa is not going to make this boring! I have just recalled a better suggestion than either of mine above for rule changes. From the great mind of Howie Meeker; ban leaving your feet to block a shot. It is brave but boring an not nearly as brave as it was before padding improved.

Goal now credited to Hemsky. That’s Hemsky, Olympian.

18. Zangetsu says:

This is how the oil should be playing. When your the worse team, you have to be feisty. Don’t give the other guys an inch.

19. VanOil says:

I need more TVs today

20. nycoil says:

Canada as many drop passes as the Oilers, which isn’t a good thing. they need to clean it up vs. the better teams or they’re going to be in a bit of trouble.

21. nycoil says:

theres oil in virginia: You nailed that Sweden game yesterday.Nice job.I thought the Slovenians would have more fight in ‘em.

I guess Finland over Russia counts as a big upset – there had to be one.I wonder if there’ll be more.USA-CAN and SWE-FIN would set up as a nice semifinal round.

22. VanOil says:

Hemsky seems to be having a game on the other side! Plus CDN men cleaning up in the curling vrs China.

23. jake70 says:

1-1 Anyone nervous? lol

24. theres oil in virginia says:

nycoil: I don’t think it’s a big upset, at all, to anyone who has followed the last 4 Olympics. Finns always bring their A game to the Olympics, Russians, not so much.

Those enigmatic Russians! Hehe. Yeah, the Finns are legit, as is Tuuka. Still, the Russians are pretty upset – big expectations. I don’t think this loss will lessen the sting of the disallowed goal versus USA.

25. nycoil says:

Canada has the shots advantage, but most have been one and done. Latvia has had the better grade A chances, by my eye. The D -zone coverage looks bad, and there are too many fancy passes at the offensive blue line on the other end. Sound familiar?
    If this were against a team like Sweden or the US, it would be probably 3-1 against us. I don’t think we will lose this one, but we should be very nervous about how bad we look on coverage in our end for the next game.

26. VanOil says:

Smid shoots the puck a lot in international hockey. Remembering his youth as an offensive Dman? USA pulling away 3-1.

27. Oilanderp says:

Dear tiny Latvian goalie,

Please let in another goal.

Thanks,

Canada

28. Rondo says:

Jagr was right it takes 6-8 months to learn how to play on olympic size ice. Canada is not very good on big ice.

29. jake70 says:

Canada’s zone time is ridiculous. Not getting that 2nd shot.

30. book¡je says:

jake70:
    1-1Anyone nervous?lol

31. russ99 says:

Come on Canada, you can’t lose to Latvia and deprive all American fans from the USA slamdown that is to come in the semifinals that we’ve been waiting 4 years for. :)

32. jake70 says:

book¡je: No way, you can’t lose with offensive dynamos like Taylor Hall and PK Subban on the ice.

Canada is winning the shot battle though. Killing it. Latvia doing their best Maple Leafs.

33. VanOil says:

That tip play to gain the zone that Dellow was on about is equally ineffective for Canada.

34. jake70 says:

Americans rolling along at 4-1 end of 2nd.

35. nycoil says:

jake70: Canada is winning the shot battle though. Killing it.Latvia doing their best Maple Leafs.

Just about all outside shots up high with no second opportunities, though. They need to dial it up on this PP to start the 3rd and bury it.

36. stephen sheps says:

Oilanderp,

tiny latvian goalie is behind their bench with Nolan. 6’4, 190lb latvian goalie is in the net…

37. book¡je says:

Ted Nolan should parley this into a career in motivational sports speaking if coaching doesn’t work out.

38. VanOil says:

Bohologo:
    Feeling nervous, it’s looking like 1998 out there.

Better than looking like 2006.

39. delooper says:

Rondo:
    Jagr was right it takes 6-8 months to learn how toplay on olympic size ice. Canada is not very good on big ice.

Historically it seems (to me) like Canadians have trouble adapting to any kind of change. To my eye it looks like about half the Canadian roster played in europe during the lockout. The Latvians seem to have a coaching strategy adapted to playing the Canadians. The Canadians don’t seem to adapt to their opponents.

40. verdad says:

Taylor Hall must be elated.
    The curse of Klowe permeates the design of this team.
    Boumeester and Kunitz cluttering hte line up.

41. verdad says:

Crosby about as useful as Gagner typically is.

42. Zangetsu says:

Latvia needs a timeout, they’re bagged.

43. Oilanderp says:

Canada should have pulled their goalie in the first 5 seconds of the first period and left the net empty from then on. Probably would be winning now.

44. delooper says:

My feed is awful. Was that a goal?

45. Oilanderp says:

How the heck did the ref not see that? He was right there at the side of the net!

46. delooper says:

I guess not.

47. Oilanderp says:

delooper,

No, it was no goal but only because a Latvian grabbed it with his hand from off the goal line. It should have been a penalty shot but that play is not reviewable. Correct call on the no-goal, missed call on the penalty shot.

48. delooper says:

Canada pulled their goalie with 10 minutes remaining?

49. VanOil says:

Is Price going to permitted to take some warm up shots before the shoot out?

50. russ99 says:

delooper,

Penalty.

51. book¡je says:

Does Crosby run Hockey Canada? Why else is that line out there?

52. hunter1909 says:

My Latvian friends are going to be very happy.

And Oiler fans will be vindicated when everyone says Hall/Eberle needed to be on the team.

53. jake70 says:

Jesus…finally.

54. VanOil says:

I admit I was getting nervous.

55. book¡je says:

Is it ok that I feel sorry for the Latvian goalie?

56. jake70 says:

Bohologo:
    Never seen such constipated offence.

Never heard that adjective in hockey terms……nice description.

57. Oilanderp says:

Can you imagine the Oil if they had a shot like that on the blue line for the PP?

*sigh*

58. russ99 says:

book¡je,

Heck yeah. Man what a superhuman effort.

59. hunter1909 says:

I just see players from West Coast NHL teams, with a few Hawks thrown in with Crosby.

Personally I’d prefer a society where young people can afford to buy their own homes, but instead we get to wave a flag and cheer on a bunch of millionaires, lol.

I’ll admit it: I want Kevin Lowe back running “the team” asap.

60. Andy P says:

We should hire the Latvian goalie. So will a few other teams I am sure.
    So glad we scored. Hope our defence holds, doubt Price would stop more goals than that crazy goalie.
    Edit: In a shootout, that is.

61. jake70 says:

Not sure if I am more nervous at 1-1 or 2-1 Canada.

62. FastOil says:

The Latvian team can break out against the Canadian Olympic team better than the Oilers can against anybody.

63. hunter1909 says:

Go anyone but USA go.

64. russ99 says:

hunter1909:
    Go anyone but USA go.

LOL. Can’t wait. Our best, most cohesive team in international play in recent memory vs. team turmoil…

Hemmer got a second goal, 5-2 USA.

65. delooper says:

hunter1909:

Soon you’ll be able to buy your own 3-million dollar fixer-upper in Fort Saskatchewan.

66. Ducey says:

Andy P:
    We should hire the Latvian goalie. So will a few other teams I am sure.
    Edit: In a shootout, that is.

Gudlevskis is in the Tampa Bay system. He has only a .900 save % in the AHL this year. Just shows you what an extreme trap will do for your goalie.

67. VanOil says:

Mean while in the Ukraine the President dismisses the Army Chief for presumably not sending the troops in against his own people. Glad we have hockey as a diversion from real problems and expensive homes.

68. delooper says:

This Canadian group doesn’t look all that confidence inspiring. In every olympics they seem to start off slow, but this team doesn’t look like its taking off.

69. verdad says:

Hopefully Lowe stays in Russia

70. stephen sheps says:

Gudlevskis probably just convinced Yzerman to bring him up from Syracuse and send Lindback down. What a performance!

71. Colieo87 says:

Oh oh I’m concerned 57 shots and only 2 goals. Pk maybe one more should of Counted. But I don’t know of price should be in net. 16 shots and he let in one. I’m worries if he’s in net against the states then what.

72. jake70 says:

delooper:
    This Canadian group doesn’t look all that confidence inspiring.In every olympics they seem to start off slow, but this team doesn’t look like its taking off.

That crossbar by Kunitz early in first set the tone it seemed. Then the ref with a bird’s eye view watches a Latvian player use his paws to keep the puck from sliding into his own net. I also thought the Latvians hooked, held and clawed quite a bit all game long. Oh well, like Babcock says, you need one more than the other team.

73. Ducey says:

stephen sheps:
    —————————

Bob MacKenzie tweeted during the game that Gudlevskis almost played TB’s last game.

74. dcsj says:

I’m glad we won, but what a nerve wracking game.

I did enjoy the Latvian pluck, especially after Heally mouthing off about our $164 million salary vs. Latvia’s 6 million… I shouldn’t pay attention to the guy, but what does he add to a hockey broadcast???

75. The Great One says:

Phil Kessel is emerging as one of the top 5 players in the world.

Leads Olympic scoring with 8 points in 4 games.

4th in NHL scoring and 2nd in goal scoring.

Might be a good preview of what Taylor Hall will be doing in 2-3 years.

76. Numenius says:

Better to have the bad game now than against the US.

At least we know CAN won’t be going in to the semis overconfident.

77. DeadmanWaking says:

Cult borked the hand-off link. The game grades are here:

Grading Team Canada: Tiny Latvia puts a major scare in Canadian fans before Shea Weber finally solves red-hot goalie

I’m sure they’ll have that fixed PDQ.

78. stevezie says:

I don’t fully understand the handwringing taking place across Canada. We destroyed Latvia today.

79. spoiler says:

The Great One: Phil Kessel is emerging as one of the top 5 players in the world.

Leads Olympic scoring with 8 points in 4 games.

4th in NHL scoring and 2nd in goal scoring.

Might be a good preview of what Taylor Hall will be doing in 2-3 years.

I really do like the new you.

80. spoiler says:

Has anyone seen the Russian coach for the past couple of hours?

Just askin’.

81. Ice Sage says:

Canada not shooting the wad too soon – what an efficient team ;-)

I’ll say it again, US hasn’t faced any quality defense and goaltending yet. They could be in for a Seahawks sized surprise from Canada Friday.

Let the gorillas out, Babs!

82. The Great One says:

spoiler: I really do like the new you.

spoiler: I really do like the new you.

Oh, I’ve been a Kessel fan since the big boys didn’t want to pick him for their all star team.

And, I’ve always thought and expressed the view many times that Hall reminds me most of Kessel.

Their skating style is different but they play the game pretty much the same way.

83. The Great One says:

Ice Sage:
    Canada not shooting the wad too soon – what an efficient team

I’ll say it again, US hasn’t faced any quality defense and goaltending yet.They could be in for a Seahawks sized surprise from Canada Friday.

Let the gorillas out, Babs!

The American speed could be a killer.

Kessel and Kesler are in beast mode.