CANADA V SWEDEN, OLYMPICS

Sweden 1994, 2006. Canada 2002, 2010. They meet in 2014, Sochi.

2002 SALT LAKE GOLD

2002 goldThe 2002 team had some absolute legends like Mario and  MacInnis and Juhoeeeeee Sakic! Ryan Smth God love him was on this team, Lindros and Kariya and Fleury too. Eric Brewer? Hah! Forgot.  This was Canada’s first Olympic gold since 1952.

2010 VANCOUVER GOLD

2010 goldSid and Toews and Weber and Doughty arrive, and there’s old Joe and Pronger plus Iginla. I loved watching this team play, Sakic in the crowd safe in retirement like a young Beliveau maybe 1972. It fit the time like a glove.

2014, SOCHI

I’m picking Canada to win, but it’s going to be close. Watch that Karlsson fellow, special teams will be important and that kid Price sure seems calm in the nets. Sid scored the golden goal in Vancouver, can he do it again? I’d bet on a defenseman this time, seems to be the theme. Watch out for a parade to the penalty box, Canada’s the only country on the planet that can turn having a Canadian ref in their gold medal game into a negative.

GO CANADA GO! We’re all-in back here, men! Candles lit, prayers said, proud of you. Godspeed.

113 Responses to "CANADA V SWEDEN, OLYMPICS"

1. unca miltie says:

Just set the alarm to get up and watch. Wonder how many Canadians around the world will watch. Big moment

2. mumbai max says:

Just got my Canadian IP address, so I can watch in Jaipur.

DA DA CA NA DA

3. Pajamah says:

Just woke up from 7pm nap, on my way to get Red Bull on the way to my buddies garage, where we won’t sleep until we see gold around the necks of our young champions. GO CANADA GO!!

4. PDO says:

Can’t wait.

Go Canada Go!

I’ll be up with some Irish in my coffee. Couldn’t imagine it any other way.

5. jp says:

Should be one hell of a game!!

I can’t wait!

Go Canada!!!

6. gogliano says:

Can’t decide if I am staying up or waking up for this one — 4 am PST.

That Karlsson guy is good but so is Doughty/Keith/Weber.

Can’t wait.

7. Oilanderp says:

Anyone know a spot to score some cocaine? Ha! There’s no way these old bones make it to 4am PST. Well, 3 aM, you need to watch the pre-game show too.

8. Ribs says:

Can’t wait to see what The Maestro Babcock has in store for Karlsson & Co. .

Also, some goals would be nice :)

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

Who needs goals? Canada has won their last 3 in a row scoring a total of 5 times.

The international game has become even more miserly than the NHL. That said, I have half an idea it might be a high-scoring final, perhaps even as high as 3-2.

10. stevezie says:

I’m going to stay up all night then wonder down to a bar full of strangers. But St John’s is a friendly town, and we have a uniting cause.

I am confident.

11. Zangetsu says:

Rob Blake. Haven’t heard his name in awhile. The man who was buried with the hip check.

12. Marc says:

Good morning all. Noon GMT puck drop here in London so I really don’t have it so bad.

I went hunting for Clamato so I could have Caesars until I’m ready for a beer, but could only find Bloody Mary mix.

Will I jinx Canada if I start the game drinking a Bloody Mary, unenriched with clammy goodness?

13. VanOil says:

Marc,

I feel your clam-less Caesar lament. I just had to ensure I was not using Swedish Vodka in the Black Russian I am pouring. Its Dutch under licence so I am proceeding. Not Noon here but I am OK with that.

Good Morning.

Go Canada Go!

Just coffee right now.

Will add some Irish Whisky in the not too distant future.

Neither team is wearing white today.

Red vs Yellow like the Gords intended.

Excellent.

Go Canada!

Whoever wins gets Malin Åkerman. Nations have gone to war over less.

17. skidplate says:

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

18. skidplate says:

Migraine or Russian mob?

19. Marc says:

VanOil:
    Marc,

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

I’ve got Smirnoff, but I fear the dirty Russians might quietly try to undermine us. I found a bottle of Icelandic vodka at the back of the cupboard though, so I’m going with that.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Whoever wins gets Malin Åkerman. Nations have gone to war over less.

Imagine the war over a young Ingrid Bergman?

wait… she made friends of people…

————–
    morning everyone! couldn’t sleep. my teeth hurt… let’s win!

Disperse, o night!
    Vanish, oh stars!
    Vanish, oh stars!
    At daybreak, I will win!
    I will win!
    I will win!

21. jp says:

stevezie:

I am confident.

I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

Go Canada Go!!!!

22. Marc says:

I also had a bit of a quandary about what to wear. I don’t have any Team Canada jerseys, so I’ve gone with my Taylor Hall Oilers jersey.

If the stink of Oiler failure seems to be holding us back, I’ve got a Molson Canadian hoodie in reserve.

23. jake70 says:

Ahh, nice 8am start here out east, finally pays to be in this time zone ;-) Coffee brewing. Go Canada!

24. Marc says:

Yesss!!!!!

Toews with a huge goal, 1-0 Canada.

26. jp says:

Marc:
    Yesss!!!!!

Damn right!

They’ve got to pick it up though, been the 2nd best team so far.

27. oliveoilers says:

Crosby with a few turn overs. What a bum. Wonder if we can get him for Snowpants and a prospect? ;)

28. oliveoilers says:

Fucking Kunitz.

29. Oilanderp says:

Anton Belov is flying tonight! Sure pinches a lot though. Also, I thought he was Russian, not Canadian!

30. saddleblazer says:

I’m *almost* cheering for Sweden because Glenn Healy isn’t.

31. Marc says:

saddleblazer:
    I’m *almost* cheering for Sweden because Glenn Healy isn’t.

Just be glad it isn’t Mark Lee.

I watched the CBC feed of the women’s gold metal game and I spent 10 minutes wondering why the CBC would put someone who had never done hockey commentary on such an important game before I realised it was Mark Lee

32. Marc says:

Woooooo!!!!!!

33. oliveoilers says:

oliveoilers:
    Crosby with a few turn overs.What a bum.Wonder if we can get him for Snowpants and a prospect?

OK, maybe two prospect and a 6th rounder.

Sid doing what Sid does!

Crosby. Pouliot sure taught him well.

35. VanOil says:

never bet against a sicilian (Crosby) when death is on the line

36. skidplate says:

Terrible PP, but another two minutes off the clock..

37. skidplate says:

Sid, the new Captain Canada

38. saddleblazer says:

Marc: Just be glad it isn’t Mark Lee.

Mark Lee, imo, isn’t terrible doing pxp. A little behind the play but keeps his editorial comments to a minimum. I find Hughson is too casual dropping nicknames of players in his commentary, but is the best they have. Simpson is terrific doing colour. Glenn Healy adds nothing to the broadcast. Unless you enjoy unprovoked negativity and inane ‘observations’ such as “team x wants it more” or “goalie x needs to make a save.”. He is worse than Maguire and it pains me to say it. Physically pains me.

39. skidplate says:

If we keep playing the same toite d, then we may have it. A third goal would sure make me feel better though.

40. jake70 says:

skidplate:
    Sid, the new Captain Canada

NBC commentator just called him that. Have he and Smyth signed the papers to make it official ;-)

41. skidplate says:

You know toite like a tiger.

42. jake70 says:

saddleblazer: Mark Lee, imo, isn’t terrible doing pxp. A little behind the play but keeps his editorial comments to a minimum. I find Hughson is too casual dropping nicknames of players in his commentary, but is the best they have. Simpson is terrific doing colour. Glenn Healy adds nothing to the broadcast.Unless you enjoy unprovoked negativity and inane ‘observations’ such as “team x wants it more” or “goalie x needs to make a save.”. He is worse than Maguire and it pains me to say it. Physically pains me.

My only problem with Mark Lee is when I hear his voice, it makes me think of Saturday night late games and the Oilers losing another one on national TV, so I gess my problem is with the Oilers.

43. striatic says:

Despite Canada playing a pretty clean game, and the Swedes a little undisciplined, you have to figure Sweden gets a power play or two in the third.

44. oliveoilers says:

skidplate:
    You know toite like a tiger.

I like goooooooooollld! Yesh, gold.

45. striatic says:

saddleblazer: Glenn Healy adds nothing to the broadcast.

I can handle him being on panels between periods. He’s at least ignorable then, and Friedman can keep him in check somewhat.

But hearing him talk over the play is excruciating.

46. striatic says:

This broadcast team seems absolutely determined to jinx this thing.

Not that I believe in any of that ..

47. saddleblazer says:

A friend just pointed me in this direction: http://isglennhealyfiredyet.com

48. oliveoilers says:

Fucking Kunitz!!!!!!!!

49. Oilanderp says:

Big kill here.

50. Oilanderp says:

Man, the Swedes have NOTHING going here. They’ve tried to enter the zone with possession and failed so many times…

51. saddleblazer says:

That was one hell of a team. I hope nhl goes to Korea because Toews, Crosby, and Babcock can win against anybody.

52. Pouzar says:

BRING ON THE TRADE RUMORS!!!

53. jp says:

Awesome!!! 3 GA the whole tournament. Wow!

Canada allowed 3 goals in six games. The Latvian goal was a breakaway on the sneaky change at the bench where the player goes in one door, and the other player jumps out behind the defensemen. The Norwegian goal in the first game was a miscommunication between Price and one of his defensemen. The Finnish goal by Ruuttu was a deflection of a point shot.

That’s all. A mistake, a sneaky line change, and a deflection.

55. Oilanderp says:

Stifling execution. Aurum.

56. gr8one says:

What a clinic. Beautiful.

57. Oilanderp says:

After what I just saw I’m pretty sure we could have picked 3 representatives from this blog to play a period each in goal and we still would’ve won. Canada deserves the gold. They really played like a team.

58. hunter1909 says:

Thoughts on today’s game:

- Toews is the best player in the world. Messier level stare and backs it up.

- Crosby is pretty good.

- Elder is Swedish?? Chicken Canucks works for me…

- If I’m MacT I phone up Lombardi offer Gagner for Doughty then hang up the phone laughing.

- Realistically, imagining any oilers on the team is impossible. Basically laughable.

- Midway through the 2nd @ 1-0 Swedes are slippery opponent. I wanted them to make it 2-0 for peoples nerves, lol.

- Crosby!!

- Modern players understand the system of international play, unlike lunkheaded Canadian teams of the last century.

- Kunitz is a great addition to any team and worth more than Hemsky/Gagner could ever be.

- Russian girls are gorgeous.

59. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

What a team.

It will be painful to go back watching the Oilers defence after that.

Congrats boys. You did us proud.

Oh Canada!

60. jake70 says:

Total buy in from the players on what the coaches wanted. Unreal.

61. skidplate says:

Total domination. What defence and what a stifling system.

62. jp says:

hunter1909:
    Thoughts on today’s game:

- Toews is the best player in the world. Messier level stare and backs it up.

- Crosby is pretty good.

- Elder is Swedish?? Chicken Canucks works for me…

- Crosby!!

- Russian girls are gorgeous.

I can’t disagree with any of this.

63. Henry says:

hunter1909,

The guy that surprised me was Jeff Carter. I mostly saw him as big with a nose for the net previously. He was terrific the past two games with his cycle game and his backchecking.

Maybe Howson can convince Lombardi to give him back? Hmmm.

64. Oilanderp says:

This calls for a fascinating celebratory slinky slo-mo vid!

Watch how the bottom doesn’t move at all. WATCH IT I SAID!

65. Pouzar says:

hmmm…me thinks there is some hyperbolic 20/20 hindsight happenin here.

Like Taylor Hall couldn’t play on that team. Please.

And please quit waxing poetically about Carter and Kunitz….the D on team Canada
    was stacked and wasn’t letting anyone take gold from them.

66. Fawzan Al-Naft says:

Long time reader, just made an account. Love the blog, LT.

I think if there’s one lesson to take away from this tournament, it’s that good defense has to be smart and mobile. I don’t think that’s going to be news to anyone on this blog, or anyone who seriously follows hockey, but the last couple games should end that debate. The hockey that is played in 2014 is not the same hockey that was played in, say, 1990. There is no room for big, slow guys who can’t move the puck in today’s game. Which is not to say size isn’t important (that Getzlaf line was terrifying for just this reason) but everything stems from speed, both in terms of skating and thinking. That has to be the foundation of good procurement.

67. oliveoilers says:

Yes, yes, Kunitz had a very good second half of that game. Hit from behind seemed to spark some life into him. Let’s not get carried away. What about the other games? Waiting for a player to come good in the final game is not good Hockey. It’s ‘lucky the rest of the team’s so strong’ Hockey. Too many times, Kunitz was a passenger, a luxury. And if we could afford to have such a player on the team, then there’s a few that I would have had picked before him.

68. Captain Smarmy says:

Coaching staff gets full marks. That was a perfectly executed hockey match.

A back checking clinic by the Canadian forwards.

I hope that Eakins had every Oiler watching that and learning.

I hope Kevin Lowe learned something about winning.

70. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy:
    A back checking clinic by the Canadian forwards.

I hope that Eakins had every Oiler watching that and learning.

I hope Kevin Lowe learned something about winning.

Maybe ‘Winning’ was what he keeps googling on his Blackberry every time the camera shows him.

71. The Great One says:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 33m
    Tournament All-Star team: G: Lundqvist-SWE D:Karlsson-SWE,Doughty-CAN F: Selanne-FIN, Phil Kessel-USA,Granlund-FIN #OneCdn

72. flyfish1168 says:

CONGRATS to team Canada and Ralph Krueger.

73. stevezie says:

There’s something to be said for a dramatic win, and something else to be said for establishing yourself as clearly the best team within the first minute, and spending the next 59 removing all doubt.

74. Ribs says:

Woodguy: I hope Kevin Lowe learned something about winning.

Oh man that was great when they woke him up when there was a goal. Buddy next to me – “Did you see him kick his chair?” Hah.

75. book¡je says:

stevezie:

I agree, but I wonder if it hurts the chances of the NHL returning in 2018. The really exciting 2010 Olympics really pressured the NHL to stay involved. The USA exit in this Olympics really hurt this argument.

76. Ducey says:

Verdad should be along soon to complain about Lowe’s role on the gold medal winning team. He is just trying to figure out what to complain about.

77. Ducey says:

book¡je: I agree, but I wonder if it hurts the chances of the NHL returning in 2018.The really exciting 2010 Olympics really pressured the NHL to stay involved.The USA exit in this Olympics really hurt this argument.

I don’t think it gets that complicated. The Ed Sniders of the world really don’t care about the game, they are pissed off that the Olympics cost them money and put their players at risk (which costs them money).

The real threat is some kind of world cup where the NHL keeps all the revenue.

78. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

How some people think Hall could have cracked this lineup is laughable.

Not with his game and these coaches.

79. Ribs says:

thebiggestmanintheworld,

Pretty clear to see what Hall is lacking for consideration after this. Polish.

It will come.

80. book¡je says:

thebiggestmanintheworld:
    How some people think Hall could have cracked this lineup is laughable.

Not with his game and these coaches.

Ya, Taylor Hall is such a looser!

81. flyfish1168 says:

Bob Mckenzie gives Ralph Krueger credit to deriving game plan and how to play on big ice surface.

82. book¡je says:

Ribs:
    thebiggestmanintheworld,

Pretty clear to see what Hall is lacking for consideration after this. Polish.

It will come.

Maybe if he eats more kiełbasa and pierogi!

83. Ribs says:

book¡je: Maybe if he eats more kiełbasa and pierogi!

We wait. :)

84. flyfish1168 says:

This Canadian team bought into a system. All the players have to except and stick to the game plan. No individual efforts and egos. The coaches and advisors wanted a specific system and nothing less.

Hall and Yak are to examples of players that needs to learn this.

85. Pouzar says:

Yeah Hall is too dumb to buy into any game plan. On this team Petr Klima would have bought in.

86. oliveoilers says:

flyfish1168:
    This Canadian team bought into a system.All the players haveto except and stick to the game plan.No individual effortsandegos.The coaches and advisors wanted a specific system and nothing less.

Hall and Yak are to examples ofplayers thatneeds to learn this.

You can “buy in” to all the systems you want. If the system is fundamentally flawed then what? If your boss at work tells you to do something you know to be wrong, do you still do it? Players “buy in” to Babcock’s systems because they are successful.

87. VanOil says:

Fawzan Al-Naft,

To paraphrase your excellent post: The best skater is the best player

Same as it ever was, same as it is is. In the words of the Great Wayne Gretzky himself “unlike other sports hockey players need to good at two sports, skating first – hockey second” Mind you he was never much of a Water Polo player.

NHL owners are delusional if they think the Olympics diminish there sport or teams. As every Soccer fan will tell you the owner of the club are only trusties of a trust. The power of the fans is the teams long tern strength. Players, Owners, Managers will all be in the grave long before the dream of a good club ever ends. Fans want the Olympics Schneider and Wang’s be damned hockey is ours not yours.

As an aside I regret the Caffeine more than the Alcohol this morning. I need a nap. But don’t regret a minute.

edit: Superstore Poutine Potato Chips are just wrong and utterly wonderful

88. flyfish1168 says:

oliveoilers,

Every system has a flaw and ways to break it. Most important is everyone has to be on the same page and trust one another. Then it comes down to will to win, fatigue, bench depth and number of mistakes.

89. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey:
    Verdad should be along soon to complain about Lowe’s role on the gold medal winning team.He is just trying to figure out what to complain about.

And lastly I’ll say, there’s (not) one other guy in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups (and Gold medals) than me, so I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern.

He just updated his resume

90. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

I hope Kevin Lowe learned something about winning.

If not, anyone in Oilerland have a contact close to Charlie Sheen?

91. oliveoilers says:

VanOil:
    Fawzan Al-Naft,

To paraphrase your excellent post: The best skater is the best player

Same as it ever was, same as it is is. In the words of the Great Wayne Gretzky himself “unlike other sports hockey players need to good at two sports, skating first –hockey second” Mind you he was never much of a Water Polo player.

As an aside I regret the Caffeine more than the Alcohol this morning.I need a nap. But don’t regret a minute.

edit: Superstore Poutine Potato Chips are just wrong and utterly wonderful

I agree about the Water Polo. The horses kept getting tired and sinking.

92. oliveoilers says:

flyfish1168:
    oliveoilers,

Every system has a flaw and ways to break it. Most important is everyone has to be on the same page and trust one another. Then it comes down to will to win, fatigue,bench depth and number of mistakes.

All of what you say is true, except the “most important”. It is absolutely pointless to be on the same page playing systems that do not work. That is compounding failure. You are basically saying that I could coach Team Canada or the Oilers and it doesn’t matter what crackpot systems I have or the fact that I’m so vastly under qualified it’s hilarious, as long as everyone is on the same page, it’s OK. However, it would seem that the rest of the 29 teams in the NHL are experts at breaking DE’s systems. At this moment, the Oilers do not so much have the wrong page or the wrong book but perhaps the wrong library.

93. Ducey says:

So when is Lombardi allowed to start churning out Gagner rumours again?

94. VanOil says:

oliveoilers: I agree about the Water Polo.The horses kept getting tired and sinking.

Can we also agree the Dutch dominance of speed skating is slightly diminished by them being the only country to have professional speed skating. (Note: I would change my religion to date a Dutch speed skater) The 3 Norwegian chicks on the podium for 30km X-country they are Olympic greats as are the Ruskie men behind them. X-country skiing may not be a spectator sport this side of the pond but there are no greater athletes on the planet.

To paraphrase some CBC commentary every other sport you have to do something wrong to end up in pain. In X-country if you are not in pain when you cross the finish line you have done something wrong. Sadism is sexy.

95. flyfish1168 says:

oliveoilers,

You are right. The thing is by the time you get to the NHL or Olympic level you would have a system that is proven. I will give Eakins that much. Now comes his ability to sell it and implement it. The player’s IQ will then come into play. All these number 1′s on this team only knows that they were able to do it on their own on their junior team. Now theyneed to learn to play together and not as individuals.

96. Hammers says:

Mark Lee Sucks . Glen Healy ( can’t stand him ) kept making excuses for Sweden . Oh Sedin , Zetterberg & Backstrom are out , like poor Sweden . That’s life in hockey for national teams and club teams . If we are honest we where great playing defensive hockey but its boring as hell . What makes most sports entertaining is the fact players normally make some mistakes and its those mistakes you jump on . We see it here in Edmonton all the time ( mistakes I mean ) .OK LT back to business . Where does Gags , Hemsky , Nultz , Smyth , Jones , Potter end up ( maybe Larsen, Belov & Joensuu ) . Thanks to the Olympics Edmontonians have something to be happy about this season .

97. jake70 says:

The most impressive thing I saw today is Ribs’ ability to switch out his Oiler logo for red maple leaf. Makes the Caramilk secret child’s play. Well done sir. Adaptability…good stuff.

98. oliveoilers says:

flyfish1168:
    oliveoilers,

You are right. The thing is by the time you get to the NHL or Olympic level you would have a system that is proven. I will give Eakins that much. Now comes his ability to sell it and implement it. The player’s IQ will then come into play.All these number 1′s on this team only knows that they were able to do it on their own on their junior team.Now theyneed to learn to play togetherand not as individuals.

Definitely, DE has to sell it. He’s the de facto leader, the buck stops with him.

99. oliveoilers says:

Hammers:

Mr Healy maybe would have liked to given Canada the excuse of no Stamkos or Tavares? Not that it mattered. A guy at work did say the other day that if Canada wins gold, it would be the most boring team ever to do it. What say you folks? Boring and a gold or chaos and “as long as we beat the US” by through the leg break-away shots only? Hate to admit it, the Oilers are nothing if not exciting…..

100. dsr29 says:

Is it ok if someone says Canada is the best at hockey? Or should I wait for the analytics?

dsr29:

The analytics suggest that this Team Canada is breathtaking in their dominance.

102. Fawzan Al-Naft says:

VanOil,

Watching the Olympics really forced me to think about what it is that makes a team dominant. Canada beat the US by a single goal, but holy crap, one of those teams was clearly in charge the whole time. The usual answer is puck possession, but that’s kind of a pat answer, like saying “the key to winning is scoring more goals than the other team.” A guy like Sidney Crosby is absolutely breathtaking at acquiring the puck and then getting rid of it in helpful ways, but there was nobody on that Olympic team who wasn’t good at getting the puck and then moving it somewhere advantageous, quickly. Just incredible to watch. A very different approach to the game than a lot of NHL teams, who seem to spend half their roster spots on guys whose jobs do not directly involve touching the puck.

103. spoiler says:

Fawzan Al-Naft: Skating plus intelligence. I remember playing against a few guys in youth hockey who could skate like the wind but were terrible at decision-making. Having one without the other only gets you so far.

Great post. I’m a huge believer in the primacy of hockey sense.

104. Ribs says:

jake70:
    The most impressive thing I saw today is Ribs’ ability to switch out his Oiler logo forred maple leaf.Makes the Caramilk secret child’s play. Well done sir.Adaptability…good stuff.

Haha, thanks! Only for very special occasions!

105. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

book¡je: Ya, Taylor Hall is such a looser!

Not being good enough to play for Team Canada is no slight.

Just ask the reigning Art Ross and Norris Trophy winners………