CANADA V USA, OLYMPICS

The Canadian men have been functional this Olympics, but the spark that will ignite a nation remains untouched. Today, none of it matters. The lack of goals, the forwards struggling, the Crosby blah blah blah. Today, Team Canada meets a nation who plays the game the way we do, and lordy this thing is going to rock and roll.

The Americans are devoted to running through you, not around. Team USA is going to rip it up and rock it up and roll it up and ball it up. Canada? That’s the wheelhouse. This game is guaranteed to be a classic, it’s a hockey cage match and the speed will be epic. Tough, physical, skilled, beautiful.

This. is. war.

101 Responses to "CANADA V USA, OLYMPICS"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

Bohologo:
    America can have baseball, basketball, bowling, Nascar, football where you mostly use your arms, all of it.

Hockey is for Canada.

It worked yesterday, huh.

Y’know, you guys can have NASCAR if you want it!

2. justDOit says:

theres oil in virginia,

We can’t go fast and turn left, but we can turn right on a red.

The thing about Nascar is I do understand the appeal. It’s about engines and cars and rubbing bumpers and hell man that’s fun at those speeds. I don’t really understand the culture around it, but have many friends who are Nascar nuts and they’re good people.

I always say “why don’t they go in the other direction once they’ve reached the halfway point?” which causes eye rolls. :-)

4. VanOil says:

Team Jacobs and the Ski Cross girls setting the standard early this morning.

5. borisnikov says:

I posted this over at our blog yesterday…

An American Feast

The American’s and their team would love you to think
    That they’re the team destined to be kings of the rink.

The stars are aligning, their future is here!
    Every ‘Merican fan is preparing their cheer.

From Ithica to Minny, St. Louis to Plover
    They’re counting their eggs. They’re so good! It’s over!

The goals that they score (oooh), The hits they deliver (aaah)
    How great is Phil Kessel? The Canadians best quiver!

Quick can’t be beat. Oh! Kane’s the man!
    Backes is sooo gritty. And Bylsma… A master plan!

So call the organizers and cancel the rest
    The Americans have decided that they are the best.

But as good as they’ve played (The pucks have surely gone in)
    Hockey is Canada’s game and this one is only ours to win.

I’ll give in to the fact that your team has been better,
    Shooting 16% can prevent a Russian style header

But our depth is unrivaled, even you Yanks can admit
    And you can hold them back for a moment but in due time it won’t mean sh*t.

With Crosby out front, we have much talent to show.
    Have you seen our blueline?! OMG! Murderers row!

Getzlaf and Perry are formidable forces.
    Weber, Doughty, Toews and more! What absolute horses!

Our great team gave us a scare, against that plucky Latvian beast
    But I think they were saving room… for an American feast!

The stage is now set and you’ve felt your chest swell
    USA fan… The game is ours and always will be…

This is your Olympic death knell.

5-3 CAN

Will be 4-1 at one point and the US will come on, but CAN gets an empty netter.

BOOK I!!

GO CANADA!!!

7. theres oil in virginia says:

justDOit,

I’ve got a couple of buddies who are big NASCAR fans, and I dropped by one’s house during a race while they were both there. I knocked a couple times and finally the wife opened the door. She said, “Come on in, they’re asleep!” I walked into the living room, where they both were laying on furniture and groggily waking up with the race running on the TV. I said, “You guys aren’t watching the race?” The response was, “You kiddin’ me? You can’t watch that stuff ’til it gets close to the end!” I’ve been laughing about that ever since. Here’s two of the world’s biggest “rednecks” (in the “like to hunt and fish and watch NASCAR sense”, not in the “racist, bigoted, wave-the-confederate-flag-but-still-are-overly-nationalistic” sense), and they can’t even watch it. No wonder I fail every time I try to sit down and watch the race!

So, I figure if they followed your suggestion of switching directions halfway, but started out going the other way and finished the race in the conventional direction, nobody would even notice!
    “Hey, are they lined up the right way? Somethin’s funny about this.”
    “I don’t know. Let’s see what it looks like in a couple hours.”
    “zzzz”

8. Pouzar says:

LT,

Outside of you, who is worth reading over there at puckrant cause that Calgary dude is an embarrassment to bloggers. Heck he would be a poor HF poster.

Pouzar:
    LT,

I haven’t read too many, crazy busy. I do like Hobbins, and Cloutier is a funny guy. I like the Bruins writer, and a few others too. There’s so damn many it’s going to take awhile. I’ve had Mark Spizzirri on the show, he’s the Red Wing writer and a very smart guy.

Here’s a question:

This year’s draft is supposed to be as deep as my bathtub

Next year’s draft is supposed to be as deep as an Olympic diving tank.

If other teams are only offering a pick for Hemsky, are you better off asking of their 1st next year?

I think so.

Any team trading a pick for Hemsky is making the playoffs this year.

That same team *might* finish lower or even out of the playoffs next year (giving you a non-zero chance at McDavid.

Rexlibrus brought this up last thread:

So here’s a thought – trade Hemsky for a conditional pick, 2nd rounder this year if the team acquiring goes out in the first or second round, a 1st next year if they get into the third round or beyond.
    I’d still rather keep him, but if you have to move the asset reducing payment or deferring it for a year might be a wise move. Furniture empires have been founded on the idea.

The value in 2015 will be much higher. The only problem comes from once again giving up a useful NHL player for some future possibility. I believe that’s what MacT tried to avoid on the Smid deal, suspect he’ll attempt the same thing with 83.

12. icecastles says:

To return to the topic from the womens’ gold medal game, anyone who thought that medal meant more than the men’s should do a gut check right now: this is only the semifinal but is there one person here who isn’t more pumped up about this game than they were about the gold medal game 2 days ago? We want to be more excited about women’s hockey in the Olympics than men’s. Deep down we know it probably means more to them, and maybe should mean more to us.

But in the cold light of day, this is unquestionably the biggest, baddest, most exciting and most important event of the Olympic Games for Canada, and for the US as well.

And in that regard, I shall predict a final score: 8 million to nothing in favour of Canada. Cary Price with a hat trick. A high stick takes Dustin Brown’s arm off. Familiar with his tendencies, the refs ignore the high stick and call him on diving.

13. PREDICKTER says:

Luongo ends up in net after Price falls apart. Quick first star of the game.

14. Ducey says:

I agree. He will try and get a prospect instead of a draft pick.

My guess is that he trades Hemsky to MTL for one of MTL’s first three picks last year.

MTL’s third rounder was Fucale, who is someone they liked at the draft last year (MacT clearly was going to draft him) and would shore up the the goalie prospect cupboard. Second rounder Jacob De la Rose is a Swede that can play all three forward positions and profiles as a second liner who can play tough minutes.

Then there is Michael McCarron. He was picked 25th overall last year. He is 6’5″ 228lbs and is a poor man’s Lucic or Penner. I doubt he scores as much but aparently has the skill to play 2nd line minutes someday. His brother is Oiler prospect John McCarron. The Oilers have been trying to find this player type for ever (JFJ, Winchester…) so maybe they try hard for this guy.

I think I would prefer De la Rose and a third – less upside, but also less chance of a swing and a miss.

15. Zangetsu says:

Whooooo. Last game killed me, because I just felt for the Latvians. I don’t feel that way today. Lets slaughter the americans. Three quick goals, then step on their throats.

16. gogliano says:

Anyone have a stream?

I am in the US and do not have NBC. My proxy for the CBC feed is lagging…

All non-playoff teams next year get a lottery ticket on McDavid. You aren’t getting a 2015 1st for Hemsky, because any team is one key injury away from missing the playoffs.

Canada is going to play European style (the Canadian version of it) against the Americans, not North American style.

Mens hockey in the Olympics should go to age group hockey, just like soccer and have a World Cup. With soccer, the age limit is 23 (with three overagers allowed) or something like that.

18. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

If the low res cbc feed i’m seeing this morning is typical, isp and network admins must be relieved that the cbc is not serving up the same video resolution as they did for curling this morning.

edit: as soon as i posted it got a lot clearer.

I think Canada is really fortunate that we have Carey Price for the next decade, while Hockey Canada figures out how to implement the Finnish/Swedish goaltender development process here.

If one looks at our short term depth chart, it is Price, maybe Bernier, and praying a lot.

20. VanOil says:

Every time a US player has the puck in the O zone. I hear the name or recognize the number and think Oh No he is good then I hear or see the Canadian coming to check him and think No Problem he is better. Flukes can happen, goal tending and supper snipes can over come the balance of chances, but Canada is the better team.

21. stevezie says:

I have decided to watch the game with you guys instead of at a bar, so… y’know, be charming.

22. jp says:

PREDICKTER:
    Luongo ends up in net after Price falls apart. Quick first star of the game.

?? That kind of talk isn’t welcome around here. :)

23. striatic says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

The amount of panning and fast movement makes video compression for Hockey more difficult also, which can lead to the stream dropping resolution.

24. striatic says:

ok. good. now don’t do what the US didn’t against the Canadian women, do what the Canadian men did in the curling final.

pour. it. on.

PREDICKTER:
    Luongo ends up in net after Price falls apart. Quick first star of the game.

Probably happens soon, I imagine.

26. James says:

The biggest ‘why is he there?’ candidate for me isn’t Kunitz or Nash, it’s Glenn Healy. Seriously, Glenn–cram it.

27. striatic says:

Cam Fowler is a weak spot for the USA. Canada needs to keep pressure up on him.

28. VanOil says:

Is it possible that Jonathan Toews is under rated? I boldly predict there will be a Hart Trophy in his future.

29. Marcus Oilerius says:

I don’t know how I’ll go back to watching Oilers vs Flames after this.

30. stevezie says:

Not to sound like Grapes, but there is some elite-level fundamentals out there. If any of you kids out there could watch this game and not see the importance of back-checking- Canada’s best skill has been their ability to get the puck back.

31. VanOil says:

James:

Agreed. 2 time Olympic gold medalist and team Canada Captain Cassie Campbell would have been my choice on the CBC roster to replace him between the benches. Or the rookie Jennifer Botterill, 3 time gold medalist and Harvard grad would have done the job better as well.

32. OilClog says:

Healy should vanish

Anything Kunitz can do, Hall does it better. Hopefully going forward(which they won’t) they’ll take the BEST players.

It’s insane. Kunitz wouldn’t be on any of the other top teams. You have to be able to push the river on your own in these types of tournaments to be able to compete with the elite. Kunitz isn’t that class.

33. Marcus Oilerius says:

That Benn-Getzlaf-Perry line is exactly what the Oilers are not. That line would carry the worst team to the conference finals.

34. striatic says:

OilClog:

Kessel has been really good this game, scary good.

Every time he breaks past the Canadian defence, i think “boy I wish Canada had a player like that”.

Then I remember we do. His name is Taylor Hall.

And he’s not on the team.

35. Marcus Oilerius says:

Duchene does what Hall does, and Duchene is sliding down the lineup.

36. jp says:

stevezie:

You’re looking particularly lovely today Stevezie. Glad you could join us.

37. PREDICKTER says:

jp,

LOL. The way the hockey gods are to me, this is my way of giving Canada the victory.

38. striatic says:

BTW, I seriously wonder what Hall has to be thinking while watching this game.

We are all watching, in various degrees of nervous tension knowing there is really nothing we can do to affect the outcome of this game.

But Hall, Hall could be there, and he could help, and He KNOWS he could be helping this team right now, but he can’t.

Does this make him feel helpless? Powerful? Does it make no difference?

I’m really curious in knowing how someone reacts psychologically to this kind of situation, and not in a “canned hockey answer” way either.

39. Marcus Oilerius says:

striatic,

Angry.

40. striatic says:

Marcus Oilerius,

i know that’s what i would be.

41. spoiler says:

I expect to see a kitchen sink come over the boards for the US some time here during the last bits of the 3rd.

six minutes left, death by hockey for USA so far.

43. ich0 says:

I am very underwheled by the 1-0 scoreline. Death by hockey is right!

44. russ99 says:

Is Eakins running Team USA’s offense? 4 men in the zone??

45. spoiler says:

Whew!

46. VanOil says:

The US has looked like a very good Eastern Conference Team that has finally had to come play with the big boys out West. Given all Canadian goals have been scored by Western Conference players this is not far off. As STEVEZIE mention this has been an unbelievable display of Hockey fundamentals the best players on earth winning with smarts and not only relying on skill.

47. Ice Sage says:

Ends with a whimper.
    Canada – Sweden will be good but over / under should be about 0.5

48. russ99 says:

Ugh. You guys obviously didn’t get our best game. What a buzzkill, Vancouver was at least competitive.

Canada wins by taking no chances.

50. Ice Sage says:

Canada wins by taking no chances.

What? No Canada-Sweden post yet ;-)

51. Mr DeBakey says:

Where is Canada’s offense?

Should I panic yet?

52. russ99 says:

LOL – USA loses by taking no chances. :)

53. striatic says:

they got a lot of chances.

i simply don’t understand why [almost] nothing is going into the net for this team.

it isn’t the opposing goaltenders, at least not entirely. they all can’t be that good.

by eye, it just looks like terrible terrible luck.

54. The Great One says:

Strombone ‏@strombone1 44s
    JESUS PRICE!!!!

55. VanOil says:

As an Oiler fan I am conditioned to only expect a win when playing a good team if they lose there minds, play Oilers track meet hockey and piss off there coach. With this team Canada it does not matter what the other team does. If the Canadians listen to there Coach and own the puck, like they did today, no team can beat them.

56. jp says:

PREDICKTER:
    jp,

In that case, very well done!! :)

57. Dipstick says:

So we get a couple of cases of US beer and they keep Bieber. I’ll take that. We can always flush the beer.

58. stevezie says:

jp,

Thanks chief. You too.

Canada wins by taking no chances.

Yes, but in single-elimination games that is the smart play. Reduce the variance, even if it keeps games close that shouldn’t be.

I also think international ice contributes to this. International ice does not promote offensive hockey- because it is so easy to get out of positiion or miss the net and accidentally clear the attacking zone, what it promotes is mistake-free hockey, no? Endless cycling, waiting for one perfect chance?

The Sedins are ideal international icers.

59. blackadder says:

1-0 flattered the US. Textbook display by .Canada. Oilers need to watch this game religiously as a demonstration of how to play smart, aggressive , puck possession game.

striatic:

they got a lot of chances.

by eye, it just looks like terrible terrible luck.

They GOT a lot of chances, they TOOK no chances. Safe, safe game.

61. book¡je says:

When teams with asymmetric skill levels meet, The best strategy for the low skilled team is to keep the game a dull low scoring game in the hopes that they get a lucky bounce. I think it’s a bad strategy for the more skilled team for the same reason. A little more emphasis on offense would be a better strategy for the Canadians in the final.

62. Kitchener says:

Gold or bust. Canada was foot-on-throat for 60 minutes.

Anyone who didn’t like this game doesn’t like hockey.

BLACKADDER: I agree. Textbook “we’re gonna win.”

63. Hammers says:

3 gold / silver & bronze today. Good day for Canada . We need to show more pride in all our athletes especially the ones that have real competition Face it Hockey & Curling we normally rule .

64. stevezie says:

book¡je:
    When teams with asymmetric skill levels meet, The best strategy for the low skilled team is to keep the game a dull low scoring game in the hopes that they get a lucky bounce.I think it’s a bad strategy for the more skilled team for the same reason.A little more emphasis on offense would be a better strategy for the Canadians in the final.

Yes, over a seven gamer I would agree with you, because variance would even out and skill would triumph. However, in single-elimination (which is deeply flawed), I think the skilled team’s best bet is to make no mistakes. There’s a reason Canada has allowed three goals all tournament, we brough guys capable of making no mistakes. It generates less for us, but it restricts the opponents to nothing.

The flaw is it keeps the game close, allowing for a lucky bounce, but luck is equally divided. If we trade waves of momentum we’ll come out ahead over seven games, but not neccesarily over sixty minutes.

Especially on the big ice.

65. Clay says:

blackadder:
    1-0 flattered the US.Textbook display by .Canada.Oilers need to watch this game religiously as a demonstration of how to play smart, aggressive , puck possession game.

I agree with this, however, there were some 10-Bell chances for the Americans that Price made the difference on.

The mood of this game was so different from 2010 (never mind that this was only a semi-final). With Luongo, as the game wore on in Vancouver, it felt as if the Canadians had to block every single shot, because there was a good chance that a shot on goal would go in (especially in OT). This time around with Price, he got better as the game went on. This more than anything else gives me hope for Sunday!

66. Andy P says:

The women put the men to shame with their gutsy, ballsy play. Now THAT’S hockey.

67. Henry says:

Canada’s defense top to bottom is so good they aren’t even cycle breakers, a cycle really wasn’t getting established. The American’s don’t have really creative offensive defencemen needed to counter this by bring the puck back up so they had relatively little zone time.

The US needed to use speed on the rush, but the Canadian forwards played the trailers very well. Just wonderful defensive hockey. Kane and Kessel were dangerous but couldn’t finish.

Sweden has Karlsson and Ekman-Larsson. They have some more options. I hope they figure out how to slow Karlsson. It’s the key to beating Sweden.

68. stevezie says:

Andy P,

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

69. Lois Lowe says:

Bohologo,

I would venture to say that the Americans have better craft beer to be honest. I love me some Driftwood Fat Tug, but the ‘merkins have got beer making dialed.

70. prairieschooner says:

Very Happy with the result but there could easily have been a lot of goals in this game on both sides.
    We only won 1-0 so I am not sure how we can brag about showing the Americans how it is done.
    The game was decided by the narrowest of margins
    Go Canada!

71. Andy P says:

stevezie:
    Andy P,

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Yesterday the Canadian Women’s hockey team played, and won, an Olympic Ice
    Hockey game for the ages. The game was all of scary, thrilling and intense, with a fantastic ending.

While this morning’s game of ice hockey – Olympic men’s semi finals, Canada vs USA, while being a defensive, textbook defensive game between two talented teams, had no one of the heroics we saw yesterday, when the Canadian women came back from a 2-0 deficit with less than 4 minutes left in the game, to score two goals, push it to overtime and then win.

I’m hoping this gives you some idea of what I’m talking about.

72. hunter1909 says:

stevezie: Yes, over a seven gamer I would agree with you

Thinking it’s time for the USA v Canada 7 game challenge cup. Every four years, between the Olympics.

Henry:
    Canada’s defense top to bottom is so good they aren’t even cycle breakers, a cycle really wasn’t getting established.The American’s don’t have really creative offensive defencemen needed to counter this by bring the puck back up so they had relatively little zone time.

The US needed to use speed on the rush, but the Canadian forwards played the trailers very well.Just wonderful defensive hockey.Kane and Kessel were dangerous but couldn’t finish.

Sweden has Karlsson and Ekman-Larsson.They have some more options.I hope they figure out how to slow Karlsson.It’s the key to beating Sweden.

Although I agree with everything you said AFTER Canada scored it’s goal; before that the Yanks really looked excellent.

73. hunter1909 says:

Andy P: Yesterday the Canadian Women’s hockey team played, and won, an Olympic Ice

I’m hoping this gives you some idea of what I’m talking about.

There have been equally entertaining pee wee games.

74. Captain Smarmy says:

If only Canada could of had an exciting comeback in their 1-0 game.

75. stevezie says:

Today was Canada wrapping our fingers around the Americans throats as the opening puck dropped and gradually bringing our fingers together over 60 minutes. Don’t be fooled by the 1-0 score- we dominated.

76. icecastles says:

Andy P,

So you’re saying that because the women played most of the game at a deficit and were outplayed for a big chunk of the game that they were better? And that by being forced to make riskier plays because of said defecit, that they were better? I think you’re confusing “good” hockey with “exciting” hockey.

I’m very glad you don’t coach, Andy.

77. Dipstick says:

Bohologo,

Lois Lowe,

OK, but can we at least agree on getting rid of Bieber fercrisakes?!

78. Caramel Obvious says:

I’m hoping this gives you some idea of what I’m talking about.

This is a very stupid thing to say. While the women’s game was quite exciting and dramatic, it was also, by and large, mediocre hockey, marked by misfired passes, weak shots, and dominated by systems play which restrained what individual ability the players might have..

That’s reality.

The men, on the other hand, play a beautiful game, whose beauty is restrained by the excessive size of the goalies and their equipment. Neither game had many goals, with the women it is because they aren’t good enough, with the men, it is because the goalies are too good.

79. Wolfie says:

stevezie:

I have to agree. I didn’t really feel like the US threatened in this game. Sure they had a couple of chances but they had zero sustained pressure.

This tournament has illustrated for me how much of a crapshoot a single elimination format can be. Especially in this day and age. Had this game been played 30 years ago it would have been 3-1 or 4-2 after the first with the outcome never in doubt. But because of changes in goaltending (equipment, technique) the ferociousness and tenacity of the back check and the physicality/increased speed of the game it’s harder than ever score.

It’s great fun to watch fast intense hockey but I kind of feel sorry for a guy like Sid (probably the best player in the game) and the lack of time and space he has. On the flip side I marvel at far ahead of his time Gretzky was. (Lemieux and Orr) too for that matter.

80. Jordan says:

Well… it looks like the two best teams make it to the final. That’s a nice surprise – I somehow always expect varriance to play a bigger role in this game of small samples. As others have said, it’s one of the best things about a seven game series – it limits a team’s opportunity win solely on lucky bounces.

It seems quite telling for me that the teams with the best defenders are the teams in the finals. I really can’t say enough about the quality of Canada’s defense. It’s a stellar group. It’s the kind of group that I feel really privileged to be able to watch – they really are a joy.

Watching it now, I can’t help but wish that the Oilers go over the top for Weber. I know there’s a lot of questions about cost, but with the Oilers right now… He is what they need. Bar none. And I say that because Doughty and Pietrangelo are better than Weber, but since they won’t be moved, I’d say that Weber is the 3rd best Dman on team Canada right now so he’s the best target.

Which is hilarious and sick and awesome all at the same time.

How would you guys rank the D on Team Canada? Why?

81. spoiler says:

Just saw this tweet from Jared Dillian the brilliant mind behind The Daily Dirtnap, with reference to the Canada v. USA Women’s hockey game yesterday…

Jared Dillian ‏@dailydirtnap ·22 hrs
    If you’re upset about the hockey game earlier today, if it’s any consolation, Canada is going to be an economic wasteland in five years.

No tweets thus far on today’s game. Probably hurts too much.

82. stevezie says:

icecastles: I remember watching a drunk guy in a dune buggy. Bounced off everything, flipped it, totalled the dune buggy and tore open his leg. Very exciting. Wouldn’t say he was the best driver I’ve ever seen.

I enjoyed this story.

83. nycoil says:

Death by boa constrictor for the Americans today. I was saying in the Latvia thread that Canada needed to clean up the breakdowns in coverage and the dangles and drop passes at the blue line. They sure did. Had they played like today vs Latvia it would have been 10-0. WQuick was outstanding as we got a lot more traffic and second chances today. I don’t even recall one too cute play at the offensive blue line today. Outstanding game. Would love to see the Welsh canine stats on this one.

Hope they can keep it up Sunday.

P.S., this now makes two Olympics where Drew Doughty looks like the best player in the world. (Keith a close second today). But he only ever looks okay on LA. System, I guess. Wish we had him on the Oilers. Hope he can be better than Karlsson on Sunday as well.

84. theres oil in virginia says:

nycoil:

Hope they can keep it up Sunday.

The Canadians were murder at their defensive blue-line. The American squad couldn’t get the puck in cleanly; they were being scraped mercilessly within a 10′ zone centered at that blue-line.

85. Caramel Obvious says:

Wolfie: I have to agree.I didn’t really feel like the US threatened in this game.Sure they had a couple of chances but they had zero sustained pressure.

This tournament has illustrated for me how much of a crapshoot a single elimination format can be.Especially in this day and age.Had this game been played 30 years ago it would have been 3-1 or 4-2 after the first with the outcome never in doubt.But because of changes in goaltending (equipment, technique) the ferociousness and tenacity of the back check and the physicality/increased speed of the game it’s harder than ever score.

I agree, the Olympic format really is terrible. Hopefully the forthcoming World Cup will have a reasonable format that both represents a truer test of quality and allows for meaningful round robin games.

I would like to see a longer round robin round with groups of six Canada Cup style. Top two teams make the semi-finals and then a best of three final. That would allow teams a little room to hit their stride and grow together, increasing the quality of play, while making for an increased number of worthwhile games, without diminishing any of the tension of the games.

86. jp says:

Jordan:
    Well… it looks like the two best teams make it to the final.That’s a nice surprise – I somehow always expect varriance to play a bigger role in this game of small samples.As others have said, it’s one of the best things about a seven game series – it limits a team’s opportunity win solely on lucky bounces.

It seems quite telling for me that the teams with the best defenders are the teams in the finals.I really can’t say enough about the quality of Canada’s defense.It’s a stellar group.It’s the kind of group that I feel really privileged to be able to watch – they really are a joy.

Watching it now, I can’t help but wish that the Oilers go over the top for Weber.I know there’s a lot of questions about cost, but with the Oilers right now… He is what they need.Bar none.And I say that because Doughty and Pietrangelo are better than Weber, but since they won’t be moved, I’d say that Weber is the 3rd best Dman on team Canada right now so he’s the best target.

Which is hilarious and sick and awesome all at the same time.

How would you guys rank the D on Team Canada?Why?

I’m not going to attempt to rank the D, but you’re right that they’re spectacular and a joy to watch. If only the Oilers had even one in that range.

Over the top for Weber does sound like a solid idea. And remember last spring when folks around here were luke warm to the idea of making a pitch for Bouwmeester? He was a little over a year from UFA, but the cost wasn’t prohibitive:

A late 1st rounder (Emile Poirier http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143820)
    Mark Cundari (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96519)
    Reto Berra (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=84109)

He was attainable. At least we can watch these guys play for Team Canada. Sigh.

87. Captain Smarmy says:

If there was any doubt. It’s not the forecheck and tenacity the Oilers needed to learn from games like this. It’s the importance of world class defenseman that can make transitions under pressure.

The Canadian defense is simply amazing.

Two funny things I saw on twitter today.

1. US Guy “Now we can go back to our plan of making the world too hot for hockey.”
    2. CDN Guy. Show picture of bet where loser takes Bieber and says. “Are you going to make good on this?” American guy replies: “Ugh fine we’ll just execute him.”

88. borisnikov says:

Caramel Obvious: I agree, the Olympic format really is terrible.Hopefully the forthcoming World Cup will have a reasonable format that both represents a truer test of quality and allows for meaningful round robin games.

I would like to see a longer round robin round with groups of six Canada Cup style.Top two teams make the semi-finals and then a best of three final.That would allow teams a little room to hit their stride and grow together, increasing the quality of play, while making for an increased number of worthwhile games, without diminishing any of the tension of the games.

Add to your idea… build the group standings off a point system based on weighting wins, goals for and goals against. That would make things a little more interesting. The IOC won’t touch it though.

89. jake70 says:

stevezie:

I agree with this. May sound silly but Canada’s line changing in the last 5 or so minutes was seamless, like clockwork. Was a canadian player on for more than 30 seconds?? I’ve gone from frustrated with the offense to marvel at how this team is playing defensively.

90. Caramel Obvious says:

What it really shows is how necessary it is for the forwards and defense to work together seamlessly. It’s the hockey version of Cruyff’s total football.

For instance, it is impossible to sustain pressure without defensemen pinching and holding the line. However, if forwards don’t rotate to cover for the defense, you give up odd man rush after odd man rush (a la Oilers). This requires both the defensemen and forwards to 1) consistently make good decisions, and 2) be quick enough to get there.

That’s the problem with the Oilers in a nutshell. The defense don’t make good decisions and they aren’t quick enough, and the forwards don’t rotate consistently, and they aren’t quick enough.

In the game today, every time the defense pinched they at least battled it to a draw, and the forwards were there for puck support every single time. It puts Taylor Hall into perspective. I think he’s great but I didn’t find myself wanting him on the ice. He isn’t better than Carter, or Bergeron, or Nash, or any of those guys in terms of being in the right place on the ice and until he (and the rest of them) are the equal of those kinds of players the Oilers are never going to win.

91. Pouzar says:

spoiler:

Jared Dillian ‏@dailydirtnap ·22 hrs

No tweets thus far on today’s game.Probably hurts too much.

Holy Crap that’s pot calling the kettle black. Wow.

92. spoiler says:

Pouzar: Holy Crap that’s pot calling the kettle black. Wow.

93. Pouzar says:

spoiler: Not really…I don’t think he has high hopes for the US economy either, but their economy has already had a housing correction and is less commodity-based. They don’t have quite as far to fall.

They have a long way to fall. Peter Schiff who called the housing collapse in ’07 says the next leg down will probably be worse. Increasing Debt to GDP and a consumer based economy based on cheap money due to QE and low interest rates. The fall won’t be pretty when it does happen.