CLOCK STRIKES MIDNIGHT, AT MIDNIGHT?

This is my favorite Hemsky photo. Ales passing the puck into the net (the most 83 goal in history!) with Dink Regehr a day late and a dollar short. In my memory banks, the file with “Hemsky” is a little torn from use and won’t leave the rotation when he’s gone. Sometimes a player brings so much joy during his time with your team he reaches great levels, and Hemmer is one.

The trade freeze ends at midnight, and I wonder if the Oilers trade Hemmer right away. He showed well at the Olympics (despite coaching from the dark ages) and I would think a team like Detroit might come calling soon. Do you deal him now? gregor hemskyJohn Shannon is connected, so that’s an interesting comment. Mark Spizzirri also comments on the Hemsky-to-Detroit possibility and as he says in the article Holland is known to buy low on good quality.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

detroit sledge

I don’t know how many of these guys are injured, but do know a lot of them are old. Joakim Andersson would be an interesting acquisition, don’t think  the Red Wings would send him away. Abdelkader is picking up some heavier work, I always thought he might be a player Edmonton could grab in a deal. They could deal Hemsky for picks but one suspects a breathing NHL player is the preferred method of payment.

I still think they should sign him. Hemsky at $3.5M times two seasons can be good value—throw him on a line with Boyd Gordon and Daniel Winnik next season and results should be good. Right? And stop worrying about Yakupov. He’s a top 6 winger through 2025 and beyond, but there may be times when the team runs Hemsky ahead of him.

Sign the man.

82 Responses to "CLOCK STRIKES MIDNIGHT, AT MIDNIGHT?"

1. Bad Seed says:

With trade rumours flying for the past few years, I find it odd that Hemsky built himself a house in the westend within the last year. Maybe we see him getting traded & then comes back as a free agent?

2. Pouzar says:

People aren’t worried about Yak around here LT…
    Taylor Hall is the new whipping boy.

3. Pouzar says:

Anyway, some NHL team is getting a nice player in Hemsky and we’ll listen MSM talk about how he was a steal. *sigh*

Please sign Hemmer

Pouzar:
    People aren’t worried about Yak around here LT…
    Taylor Hall is the new whipping boy.

(borrowing a phrase usually associated with Shawn Horcoff on the blog).

5. Lois Lowe says:

6. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: If you’re worried about Taylor Hall, it says more about you than it does Taylor Hall.
    (borrowing a phrase usually associated with Shawn Horcoff on the blog).

You know you’re on the right track when bloggers will use their own teams’ sites to troll the opposition.

7. steveb12344 says:

RexLibris: Well, I’m not concerned about him, but I noticed that some of our neighbours might be.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Esplin. He’s a Flames blogger on an Oiler-centric website. I’d say he’s just trying to stir up some hits.

8. RT26 says:

Lois Lowe,

It is too bad that Hall could not have experienced this tourney and witnessed the focus and defensive team play that guys like Crosby and Toews put forth. If this is the blueprint that Eakins and MacT have, then I am all for bringing it to life (although I am not sure you can have that relative dominance/ depth of talent in today’s salary cap driven NHL).

9. RT26 says:

As for potential trades, this Olympic tourney makes the Gagner exit more palatable for me (Need a better 2 way player, though I may be over-reacting to what I’ve seen this past week…) and less supportive of a Hemsky move.

I still love the idea of Hemsky and Perron as wingers on the 2nd line, I think they just need a center who could contribute defensively while concurrently not having hands of stone.

Lois Lowe:

Eakins has been having the Oilers dump it in more. I don’t think that is what Team Canada was doing.

11. spoiler says:

Pouzar: People aren’t worried about Yak around here LT…
    Taylor Hall is the new whipping boy.

I don’t know about whipping boy, but I can’t wait till Hall is good enough to make the Olympic team. I don’t worry that he’s never gonna get there, but I can’t wait. Nuge might be there one day too.

godot10: Eakins has been having the Oilers dump it in more.I don’t think that is what Team Canada was doing.

Although, I concede that watching all that Canadian forward back pressure is a good tutorial for Hall and Eberle.

13. spoiler says:

RT26: Amen. While I will never believe any of the recent vintage TEam Canada editions will rival the Canada Cup team of ’87, that was an impressive display of skill and tenacity,

This team even had it’s unsung Norm Rochefort in Marc-Ed Vlasic. But I agree, that 87 team was the goods.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Detroit is currently slated to pick 14th in the draft. If they could get that 1st rounder, that would represent extreme value.

I’d still prefer to sign the man. Get good players, keep good players. But if they are trading, I want that pick.

A trade for an actual player/prospect has me worried Holland will dangle a giant with apples for hands and pineapples for feet in front of MacT and we’ll get stuck with Clifford 2.0.

15. anonymous says:

I think you could get a first rounder for Hemsky, don’t think Holland would be the one to give it up though.

16. OilClog says:

No return will ever equal Hemsky’s value, sign him! He’s not part of the problem.

17. leadfarmer says:

Gms do crazy things this time of the year, and depending where Vanek goes that is going to put some pressure on some of the GMs out there. Hopefully he is traded soon. I do wonder what Vanek is going to bring back for the Isles since he will be a pure rental and will most likely sign in Minnesota this summer, but I don’t see the wild paying for him now.

18. The Great One says:

leadfarmer:
    Gms do crazy things this time of the year, and depending where Vanek goes that is going to put some pressure on some of the GMs out there.Hopefully he is traded soon.I do wonder what Vanek is going to bring back for the Isles since he will be a pure rental and will most likely sign in Minnesota this summer, but I don’t see the wild paying for him now.

I think it’s quite possible Minnesota moves on Vanek now.

They have $7.5M in cap space at the deadline and could conceivably have more if they placed Koivu on LTIR retroactively.

The next domino to fall is likely to be Matt Moulson, followed by Brad Boyes and there’s word Florida will also consider moving UFAs Marcel Goc and Tom Gilbert all of whom would look pretty good as playoff depth.

The Great One: I think it’s quite possible Minnesota moves on Vanek now.

Minnesota’s top need is a goaltender, with Harding’s MS, and Backstrom falling off a cliff. Not Vanek.

20. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

They will have plenty of money to replace Backstrom with Backstrom’s money. Vanek will be Heatley’s replacement. He’s not necessarily what they need but they are most likely at the top of his list.

It will be interesting if St. Louis packages their 1st, and one of their UFA goaltenders for Ryan Miller.

They would still have the Oilers high 2nd round pick (#30-34).

22. leadfarmer says:

The Great One,

I don’t think they will want to pay NYI the price they will want for someone that will only cost them money in a few months

23. flyfish1168 says:

Lois Lowe: I do hope the young Oilers watched Canada play and have a better understanding of what Eakins’ has been preaching.

24. teddyturnbuckle says:

I hope Hemsky is dealt before he gets injured again and that sums up the later part of his career . Although 83 can still skate and pass his production has been on a steady decline over the past 6 years. Only once in the last 5 years has he broken the 40 point mark and injuries play a big part of that. If he stays healthy for the rest of this season he will finish with approximately 10 goals and 35 points in 74 games. The guy is a 10 goal scorer and 35 point player in a healthy season and nothing else. If he was to come back I’d need to see 3 rd line money. Somewhere around 2 million max. To be honest Mason Raymond is a better player now for less money. I wouldn’t sign Raymond but I think there are a lot of better options for the Oilers come free agency.

25. The Great One says:

leadfarmer:
    The Great One,

Likely depends on how much noise they think they can make in the playoffs, if they get there.

Vanek is a huge upgrade on the current Dany Heatley.

26. Ryan says:

flyfish1168: I’m the 1st to admit I don’t like eakin’s methods and prefer Krueger. But I will give Eakins credit that his system play will work as our players buy into it, understand it and start trusting each other instead of this individual play and trying to do to much. Less is more here.

Two of these things are not like the others.

27. Ryan says:

OilClog:

Well, you’re presuming that Hemsky likes playing on the 3rd line on the second worst team in the league.

28. gcw_rocks says:

If you sign Hemsky for 3.5 you are probably over budget for whatever you pay Winnik. How much would you pay Winnik? You also push Hendricks to the fourth line pushing that line over budget probably by a million.

Where would you expect the oilers to cut corners to make up this overage of at least $3m by my estimate? Defence? Goaltending? Or are we assuming they trade Gagner and use a budget option in his place to make up the difference?

29. flyfish1168 says:

Ryan: Let’s just say there’s Ken Hitchock, Mike Babcock, Ralph Krueger, and Dallas Eakins.

Two of these things are not like the others.

30. Ryan says:

flyfish1168: Stanley cup and Olympic gold means a lot to Hichock and babcock resume. I believe Ralph will be back coaching somewhere.

I’ll agree with you that inspite of his worse goaltending luck but superior roster, it’s really hard to think that Eakins has done a better job than Ralph.

31. Marc says:

Canada regularly dumped and chased when the opposition lined up along the blueline and made carrying it in a low percentage play. More times than not they recovered it too.

That’s what was so eye opening watching Canada after a season of watching the Oilers. They almost always made the right decision at the blueline as to whether they should carry or dump it in, and when they did dump they fought hard to recover it. The Oilers do neither of these things well.

The other thing I really noticed was when leaving the zone, Canada’s D always had at least one good option to pass to, and often two. The Oilers D rarely have even one.

As much as you’d like it to be, these aren’t system issues – no system in the world tells the forwards to steam through the neutral zone leaving the D no one to pass to, or to carry the puck over the blueline and immediately turn it over. These are on the players.

32. Ryan says:

Marc,

In fairness to Eakins, his is not an easy job.

Hitchcock had one problem child to teach this year–MPS… Eakins has ….

33. regwald says:

OKC vs the Marlies on SportsNet 360 right now.

34. leadfarmer says:

Ryan,

Seems like a recurring theme, Oilers player goes elsewhere. New coach on their case for their bad habits

Marc: Canada regularly dumped and chased when the opposition lined up along the blueline and made carrying it in a low percentage play.More times than not they recovered it too.

Eakins is coaching the dump, but he isn’t coaching the chase part. A dump without a chase is just a voluntary turnover and surrender. Arguably, the current skill set of the Oilers is not well-suited to dump-and-chase. They are more suited to a rush game. One should coach to the team’s strengths, and over time get players who are better at the coach’s preferred systems.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle bested or played the opposition even for 15 minutes a game when Krueger facilitated their rush game strengths.

The Oilers have gone backwards, because the coach isn’t coaching to the existing team’s strengths.

Eakins doesn’t have the ability to multitask over competing priorities.

36. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10:

Eakins doesn’t have the ability to multitask over competing priorities.

And his mother’s a whore..!!!

=======================

Barons/Marlies on ch 231 on Shaw in BC-as Reg mentioned above on SN360. The guide is a little wonky…it was scheduled for an 12noon start but they are late in the first period now

37. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: In fairness to Eakins, his is not an easy job.

What’s fair about fans watching 7 years out of the playoffs, with Eakins/MacT’s new ‘uber axis’ yakking it up before proving anything, except maybe of going for yet another crack at 1st overall?

38. regwald says:

Gerta Rauss: And his mother’s a whore..!!!

=======================

I guess OKC requested a late start if I heard right. Start was delayed 1 hour. Wasn’t clear why.

Because of the back to back games on Friday and Saturday for OKC and then the travel time, OKC went to the AHL to get a 1 hr delay. OKC spent the night in London, ON. (PVR had the conversation).

39. slopitch says:

Does anyone know if the gold medal game is being replayed? I didn’t Pvr it and want to watch it again.

If your trading with Detroit I’d go after Brendan Smith, Sproul, Manta, Tatar or Nyquist. Oilers need players for next year. Moving Hemsky for a pick is a step backwards.

Man that Perry, Getzlaf, Benn line was dominant. I have no idea how the oilers get a power forward. D wins in today’s NHL. Chicago, LA and Boston have killer D’s. Canada’s D was insane. This franchise can’t handle any more tanking. I also don’t think the Oilers get Ekblad either as Scrivens is playing too well. But looking at the standings, the pick is almost guaranteed to be top 5. Maybe he slips like Jones did. Who knows. The Oilers have 2 massive needs. Hopefully the draft can address one of them.

40. flyfish1168 says:

wow looking at the Marlies roster I wonder who Mac-t and Eakins going to target next for a trade.

Babcock was humble enough that he sought out opinions and ideas about how to play on the large ice surface.

MacT, not humble enough. He knows it all. Contrary/different opinions/ideas not wanted. He wanted a guy who repeated back to him what he wanted to hear.

42. regwald says:

Lander on the PP his 17th. at the end of a long 2-man advantage. That gives him 9 PP goals. Hunt and Arcobello with the assists.

43. oliveoilers says:

Woo Hoo, more hockey! What a day…..

godot10:

MacT, not humble enough.He knows it all.Contrary/different opinions/ideas not wanted. He wanted a guy who repeated back to him what he wanted to hear.

Agree 100%. I know as fans we joke about “planning the parade”. Can’t help but think that DE and MacT took it seriously. Listening to inside sports on way home the other night and the thought occurred to me that either DE is money, or his arrogance is monumental. He also asserted that the oilers have nobody that can one-time a puck. No-one. Watch for a trade for a guy that can shoot and do nothing else. I prefer to see some tangible results in the standings before people start shooting their mouths off.

44. regwald says:

slow catching up on the PVR. 2 quick goals from the Marlies. 2-1 Marlies.

their 3rd game in 3 days looks like it is catching up on OKC.

45. oliveoilers says:

Fedun, son, you have to clear the front of the net. You just gotta. And Bachmann, you hit that guy in the nuts if he screens you like that again. For those that say the kids could have used more time at the farm, well it was evident on that play where the Oilers softness on plays starts.

46. regwald says:

oliveoilers:
    Fedun, son, you have to clear the front of the net.You just gotta.And Bachmann, you hit that guy in the nuts if he screens you like that again.For those that say the kids could have used more time at the farm, well it was evident on that play where the Oilers softness on plays starts.

Why would Nelson start Bachmann for all 3 games on a triple play weekend ? Just asking.

47. oliveoilers says:

regwald: You would think that Bachmann given his experience would have made some kind of contact and some scene to get the ref’s attention. The Marlie was in the blue paint for crying out loud.

Lol, I know. The guy was reading a magazine and checking his cell phone, he was there that long! Maybe a minor trade coming goalie wise?

48. hunter1909 says:

godot10:

Lowe goes on about the Detroit Model, while the Red Wings instantly hire the Duck’s coach after he’d got them booted from the playoffs.

Oiler’s version of Babcock is Peter Laviolette. Why didn’t they even consider him?

Oiler’s aren’t being run on the Detroit Model at all. Instead, they’re run on the post-dynasty ‘oilers model’.

49. Ryan says:

leadfarmer:
    Ryan,

Seems like a recurring theme, Oilers player goes elsewhere.New coach on their case for their bad habits

Absolutely.

What a surprise when a team tries to break in rookies by the dozen while surrounding them mostly with spent forces.

Other teams break in rookies more like PRV in St. Louis with an existing framework of established nhl talent.

Keep making the same mistake, we don’t actually need you so sit and watch from the Pb.

On the Oilers, there’s too many rookies making too many mistakes for that to be possible. Worse yet, guys like Gagner who should be established NHL talent haven’t yet learned how to play in their own zone.

Tambellini’s biggest gaffe may not have been forgetting to build from the blue forward, but in not maintaining a serviceable framework of established NHL talent for the rookies to develop around.

On top of that, good teams seamingly change little year after year in terms of their roster while the Oilers have a large revolving door of flotsam type players.

50. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: good teams seamingly change little year after year in terms of their roster while the Oilers have a large revolving door of flotsam type players.

Another satisfied fan.

51. Ryan says:

hunter1909: Another satisfied fan.

The a Oilers are like the Bermuda Triangle for hockey players. Is there a team in the league that’s signed more players in the last five years who no longer play in the nhl (and not due to age/retirement)?

52. regwald says:

oliveoilers: Lol, I know.The guy was reading a magazine and checking his cell phone, he was there that long!Maybe a minor trade coming goalie wise?

Yup. The forward had a cigar and read the paper.

53. jp says:

leadfarmer:
    Ryan,

54. oliveoilers says:

jp: True, and definitely unfortunate. Would it be fair to place at least a part of this at Kruger’s feet? I think so, though obviously he’s not the only one to blame. For the Kruger over Eakins supporters, I think this is an important point. The team looked good at times last year, and certainly a number of the young players had good years, but letting them run free wasn’t going to work long term. A lot of Eakins struggles are due to trying to get the team to play the right way and correct the issues he inherited. I don’t know if he’ll succeed, but imo this is something that did have to be tackled sooner or later.

JP, we can never know if it was going to work or not. Maybe it wasn’t RK’s intention for them to run free? For those fans who say DE should have more time, they seem perfectly happy that RK only had half a season. What’s good for the goose…..I guess there is just supporters for both camps. I’m perfectly happy for someone to say “I just don’t like him” without grasping at inane arguments about why one is better than the other. How do we know DE’s way is right? He’s proven nothing in this league. That is why I believe that more credibility to the argument that the Oilers play is flawed if it had come from an established NHL level coach such as Alan Vigneault, John Tortarella, Lindy Ruff and Paul Maurice. DE may be right. Clock is ticking though…

55. hunter1909 says:

jp: The team looked good at times last year, and certainly a number of the young players had good years, but letting them run free wasn’t going to work long term.

56. Ryan says:

oliveoilers,

Maurice would have been a better choice in terms of one that was 100% available. Hell if he took the job in Winnipeg…

57. Ryan says:

Would love to watch Hemsky play with Crosby in the post season.

58. BONVIE says:

godot10,

You should stop and think about what your saying before you make a post. That statement about accusing the Oilers coach from getting the players to dump the puck in and not to chase is the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a while.

For anybody that watched the game and have coached or played the game even it was very apperant that Canada dumped the puck frequently, and employed the basic 2-1-2. They were so disciplined in short shifts and for using their speed to have the first man either retrieve the puck or immediately get on the body and the second man in for support/take the puck. If team Canada didnt execute I suppose we could have blamed Babcock for not coaching the boys to chase the puck and retrieve.

I am baffled that anyone could imagine that the coaching staff is telling the boys to dump the puck and do anything other than chase. You think Eakins tells them dump and then wait at the blue for them to skate it out?

Lois is absolutely correct in this is what the Oilers need to learn from watching team Canada do, masterful execution of the CANADIAN way to play a good hard forecheck.

59. Ryan says:

I’m not sure Krueger let anyone not named Yakupov run free last year.

Krueger mostly gave the zone starts to the kids which is something Eakins seems to be finally moving towards.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Looks like Nelson never got the memo about developing the prospects when it comes to goaltenders and the other memo about declining sv% on B2Bs.

3 games in 3 days and he leaves Bunz on the bench backing up Bachman.

61. Ryan says:

BONVIE,

You should head over to MC79hockey and read his analysis.

Eakins has hall’s line tipping the puck in something like 2x more than under Krueger.

Also he appears to be using a bush league AHL tip play where the dmen are shooting it it that results in poor puck retrieval.

Whatever argument you make, Eakins doesn’t seem quick to make changes when something doesn’t work.

62. flyfish1168 says:

I do believe Hemsky is a better fit with Crosby than Iggy. Hemsky a much better skater.

63. Marc says:

Great quote from Doughty in the Globe and Mail:

“It’s unbelievable to be wearing this around my neck right now,” said Doughty. “It was a whole team effort. A lot of people are going to say the goalie played unbelievable or the defence played unbelievable, but the forwards were a huge advantage in the defensive end. They backchecked so hard, worked so hard, and they didn’t give their defencemen and down-low centre anything.”

Another example of the difference between Team Canada and the Oilers. THis is what we need to succeed. And the fact that Eakins has got Hall to buy in to the idea of being the best defensive player certainly suggests he knows it.

64. oliveoilers says:

Ryan: I’m not sure Krueger let anyone not named Yakupov run free last year.

DE is correct that you have to earn those o-zone starts. That’s how it’s always been, and always shall be. However, his thinking is flawed in that this statement is true for teams with established NHL top 6 forwards that the kids should eventually replace. So who gets these zone starts? Not the kids, says DE. They have to earn it. But who is there on the Oilers for the kids to displace? So DE goes down the order, because it is so ingrained into his very soul that these kids haven’t done anything to enjoy the gravy time. Listening to his 630 CHED interview driving home Friday, I disagreed with him on a point about the PP. When questioned about the fall in the PP/PK standings, he stated that one year’s stats have nothing to do with the next. Which led me to blurt out “what about the teams who are routinely at the top of these rankings? If that where true, a team like St Louis or the Pens would have a noticeable drop off one year!” startling my sleeping son into a screaming fit for the rest of the way home.

I get the feeling that he tried something new, and it’s tanked. But getting this guy to admit he’s wrong…..I really hope he can show us a little of the future for the rest of the games this season, for his sake if not for ours.

65. oliveoilers says:

flyfish1168: I wonder if there is any chance we can pry Olli Maata. Would it be like Hemsky and a top prospect?

After the free scouting show of the Olympics? Sir, I applaud your ambition!

66. Pouzar says:

Would you tards stop comparing Team Canada to the Oilers? Ok? We get it.

Geezuz H talk about bludgeoning a subject to death.

67. BONVIE says:

That would be a great return.

68. PREDICKTER says:

Tuned in to the Barons game half way thru the second and ended up watching an Oilers game.

69. Ryan says:

Pouzar:
    Would you tards stop comparing Team Canada to the Oilers? Ok? We get it.

Geezuz H talk about bludgeoning a subject to death.

Well when team Canada’s fourth line and bottom pairing would destroy the oilers,
    It’s hard to say that we need to emulate that.

70. Ryan says:

Duchene–Nash–st Lois/sharp
    Boumeester – Pietrangelo

Vs.

RNH–hall–Eberle
    Marinchin–Petry

That’s our best against team Canada’s bottom of the roster.

Why can’t we play more like team canada?

71. Pouzar says:

Ryan: Duchene–Nash–st Lois/sharpBoumeester – PietrangeloVs.RNH–hall–EberleMarinchin–PetryThat’s our best against team Canada’s bottom of the roster.Why can’t we play more like team canada?

I’ll take the Oiler line everyday of the week.

72. PaperDesigner says:

Ryan:
    Duchene–Nash–st Lois/sharp
    Boumeester – Pietrangelo

Vs.

RNH–hall–Eberle
    Marinchin–Petry

That’s our best against team Canada’s bottom of the roster.

Why can’t we play more like team canada?

Interestingly, the comparison doesn’t start to get particularly ugly until you get to Marincin-Petry. I’d take Hall over all three of them, perhaps with the exception of St. Louis… who to be fair, is a lot better than Canada’s 10-12 best forward. I mean, if you dropped Kunitz to the line, would Duchene-Nash-Kunitz badly outplay Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle? I might even take the latter.

But of course, we already know where the main problem with this team is…

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s a “Hemsky plays small” article.

He lost me at having MacDonald at the top of his list…. also, articles on Hemsky are only of note if they contain new information or counter the prevailing narrative.

74. hunter1909 says:

PaperDesigner: But of course, we already know where the main problem with this team is…

The fans. How can anyone win with such overcritical fans?

75. regwald says:

PREDICKTER:

I watched most of the game and to be fair, OKC carried the play a large portion of the first half of the game. This was their 3rd game this weekend as well. The difference in the game was two breakdowns midway in the 2nd period to give up the two Marlies goals.

OKC actually started off well in the third getting some pressure, but their legs gave out.

76. Phil_Bert says:

Hi LT, i’m an aussie who just happened to be living in Jasper for a few months back in 2005. Having never had to much to do with (ice) hockey before i was very interested with all this commontion about the “lockout” ending. Of course this meant a trip to the pub to watch a game with friends and I distinctly remember watching this number 83 skate all around, and thought gee he must be good! of course i had no idea who this chump ‘Pronger’ was or how good the rest of the team was. Hemsky was the player that got me hooked on this awesome game. So i really wish McT finds a way to keep hemmer around if only for old times sake.
    Also love the site, its the first of my daily three website for oilers catch up.

77. jp says:

hunter1909: Hockey is a game where among other things, a balanced approach to building a team can make a very real difference. Maybe the dunderheads running the shiteshow try to obtain decent complimentary players, instead of throwing 18 year olds in one after another hoping to find Wayne Gretzky.

Yeah, agreed that’s a huge issue. The biggest issue really. Hopefully MacT and co. can do a better job of supporting the young players going forward. No quick fix to that unfortunately though.

78. jp says:

Ryan: I’m not sure Krueger let anyone not named Yakupov run free last year.

Maybe so. For sure Yakupov got the most rope.

I wasn’t thinking zone starts though. I was thinking more of the relative lack of focus on responsible puck management by Kruger. That wasn’t specific to Yakupov.