COLLEGE MAN

Edmonton’s prominent prospects are housed (mostly) in the CHL. The three Russians in the KHL are worth a weekly glance and of course we spend a lot of time staring at Oklahoma City. I don’t spend much time with the NCAA kids, mostly because it’s fairly difficult to get information about progress.

Yet any fool can see there’s progress in several places. Dillon Simpson has moved up the depth chart steadily during his time at UND and now occupies the top pairing minutes and plenty of power-play time. His boxcars (27GP, 5-12-17 -5) are less famous than his 67 blocked shots (leads everything, that’s a lot in 27 games). Simpson has been nominated for a Hobey Baker award.

POINTS BY DISCIPLINE, DILLON SIMPSON

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
SIMPSON 2010-11 30, 1-6-7 .233 30, 1-2-3 30, 0-0-0 30, 2-8-10 .333
SIMPSON 2011-12 42, 1-6-7 .167 42, 1-10-11 42, 0-0-0 42, 2-16-18 .429
SIMPSON 2012-13 42, 2-8-10 .238 42, 3-11-14 42, 0-0-0 42, 5-19-24 .571
SIMPSON 2013-14 27, 1-7-8 .296 27, 4-5-9 27, 0-0-0 27, 5-12-17 .630

Simpson’s NHL equivalency (using Vollman’s number) is 82GP, 6-16-22, and that’s a nice number. I don’t think he’ll get a lot of pro power-play time, but I didn’t think he’d be this player either.

SIGNED AND RFA FOR 2014-15 OILERS BLUE

1. Jeff Petry (rfa)
  2. Martin Marincin ($730,000)
  3. Andrew Ference ($3,250,000)
  4. Justin Schultz (rfa)
  5. Phil Larsen (rfa)
  6. Oscar Klefbom ($894, 167)
  7. David Musil ($894,167)
  8. Martin Gernat ($745,833)
  9. Brandon Davidson ($615,000)
  10. Brad Hunt ($550,000)
  11. Darnell Nurse ($925,000 and it can slide)

Craig MacTavish may bring back some of the NHL UFA’s (Anton Belov, Nick Schultz, Mark Fraser, Corey Potter, Denis Grebeshkov) or minor league UFA Taylor Fedun. The drafted blue who can be signed include Simpson, Erik Gustafsson, Joey Laleggia and Ben Betker. If he signs, Simpson will be up against an impressive group of young defensemen trying to stand out in the crowd.

Do not bet against the college man.

76 Responses to "COLLEGE MAN"

1. Gerta Rauss says:

Where do you put the odds of him signing..?…50/50…?….does the Simpson family connection win the day..?

I think you have to include 1 or 2 actual NHL defenders on that list as well(trade or UFA additions)

There are a lot of warm bodies between Simpson and NHL employment.

Gerta: I have asked many people. ALL of them tell me he’ll sign with the Oilers.

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Well that’s terrific if that’s the case. I thought there was going to be a problem getting him signed.

4. VanOil says:

Simpson’s progress could mean he will be a top 4 NHL defense man. Of all of the Oilers current prospects he is the one I most expect to be an upside surprise.

It all come down to skating. If Belov could skate he would be a top 4 defender. If Musil could skate he could be a 1000 game player. If Simpson can skate he will be in the NHL in a year and a half.

Gadzook, who I am not sure skating will help, is already rumored to be signed up figure skating lessons this summer. If Simpson, Musil and Belov spent 6 weeks in a boot camp with Dillon’s step mom we could be on to some thing.

That and send lots and lots of food to Slovakia. Those bean pole can already skate they just need some feeding.

VanOil:

Roy with a goal, 27, 8-17-25 so far.

7. VanOil says:

Lowetide: There’s not an NHL prospect alive who would hesitate to sign up for skating instruction from Dillon Simpson’s stepmom.

I want them to enjoy there work ;)

8. VanOil says:

I would ‘like’ Hemsky to be signed to a 3 year contract (for around 10 million) then have Roy spend one more year in Jr, one and a half in the AHL then replace Hemsky as a third line scoring threat 3 years from now.

Signing nor prospect development rarely follow what I ‘like’ though.

9. Pouzar says:

Greg Chase’s 3 pts(1g/2a) was something to behold last night. All 3pts in the 3rd period after the game was tied 3-3. Beauty pro dish for the game winner too.

10. VanOil says:

Pouzar: Greg Chase

Pouzar:

He’s a terrific talent. In a re-draft, where does he go?

12. Pouzar says:

VanOil: How is Chase’s skating he seems to have everything else going for him? Mind you he is a local boy it would be no problem getting him to join the summer camp I suggested above.

Honestly I have no idea…I just checked out the highlights here,

No way Chase is 6″ right?

Lander (Horak, Hunt). Seriously. Call the guy up.

14. The Great One says:

Lander (Horak, Hunt). Seriously. Call the guy up.

Wouldn’t that be pretty much the end of OKC’s playoff hopes?

15. The Great One says:

Toffoli with another 2 goals for Manchester.

5 in 2 games.

16. nelson88 says:

Was curious about the OKC power play percentages but can’t find it on the AHL website. Ideas?

17. VanOil says:

I did not know Chase was Darren Dutchyshen’s nephew. The 6′ might be generous but the 204lbs is probably right.

18. The Great One says:

Nurse with his 12th goal of the season.

19. nelson88 says:

The Great One,

DeeSF,

Nice to see your guy Schroeder getting his chance with the Canucks and trending for career highs. Sweet prospect pool you have over there in Canuck land.

20. The Great One says:

nelson88:
    The Great One,

DeeSF,

They’re making some progress.

Bo Horvat

Hunter Shinkaruk

Brendan Gaunce

Cole Cassels

Frank Corrado

Dane Fox

Joacim Eriksson

All trending very well but they started at near zero.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

The Great One,

With that in mind, do you think Gillis considers the Oilers 1st round pick if it’s decided that Edler is the piece to go in a trade..?

I know they need scoring at the wings, but would they consider a blue chip prospect for Edler..?

They’d get cap space out of the deal as well…not sure how that helps them at the deadline however…

That sounds like more of a draft day transaction but I’m not sure Edler is still Canucks property at that time.

22. Ducey says:

Lander (Horak, Hunt). Seriously. Call the guy up.

I agree. Horak’s got 10 pts in his last 6 games. :)

23. dessert1111 says:

So Fedun is a UFA but would still be waiver exempt next year? Seems like a strange case. But should be a no brainer to sign him. Is there a chance he doesn’t resign with the Oilers and takes his chances catching on elsewhere in free agency?

24. The Great One says:

Gerta Rauss:
    The Great One,

I think it would depend whether or not they have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

IMO, they don’t so I would take that deal in a heartbeat and draft one of the highly ranked centres.

The problem is, Edler has a NTC and will get to choose his destination and I doubt he would chose Edmonton.

Detroit would be my guess.

25. nelson88 says:

Gerta Rauss,

I like Edler and think he is the piece that will get moved (if they can get him to waive his NTC) but there is no way I trade a top 3 pick for him. Weak draft but the top of it has some quality.

26. Gerta Rauss says:

nelson88,

I agree….it would be Edler + for a top 3 pick as far as I’m concerned

27. The Great One says:

Gerta Rauss:
    nelson88,

I agree….it would be Edler + for a top 3 pick as far as I’m concerned

Unless the Canucks pull out of their tailspin, they may have a top 10 pick of their own. (currently 22nd).

If they move Edler, I would think only a top 6 forward would be an acceptable return.

The player would have to approach Gillis for a trade.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

The Great One,

It’s blue skying, and Edler has control of any movement, there is no question about that.

I’m all for trading our #1 pick for either a bonifide 1LD or 2C, but if it’s a top 3 pick, that has tremendous value and we have to get 110 cents on the dollar in a trade. If the return isn’t there I’m all for taking one of the Centers and look elsewhere to fill the (many) deficiencies on this roster.

Lander scores another #developing #story

30. Gerta Rauss says:

31. The Great One says:

Gerta Rauss:
    The Great One,

I think that’s the way it will play out.

Top 3 picks rarely get traded.

The rubber will hit the road when MacT has to figure out how to move assets to fill those holes.

He should spend 6 months studying what Dean Lombardi has been up to for the last decade.

32. The Great One says:

Gerta Rauss:

Exactly the point.

I would be very surprised if any OKC regulars get called up until the Barons playoff race is settled.

33. RexLibris says:

Lander (Horak, Hunt). Seriously. Call the guy up.

Hah, I’m all for it too, but are you suggesting the NHL call everyone back from the Olympics mid-tournament just so the kid can get into an NHL lineup? I mean I like him too, but that is bold.

;)

34. Gerta Rauss says:

The Great One,

OKC has a lot of weekend games in March. Perhaps if they want to give cups of coffee to Klefbom and Fedun they work around the OKC schedule-lots of airmiles for the kids.

35. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Does OKC playoff hopes affect the decision making on Oilers roster in the last 20 games..? Are they going to call up Lander/Fedun/Klefbom with no regard for the OKC standings..?

Personally, I don’t think it has a lot of effect on the decision. But I also would be surprised if a whole whack of Barons get the call anyways. I doubt Fedun will get many games if any. The Oilers seem to be trending towards bigger. I think Klefbom comes up for sure, just because MacT has said so, and because at least one Dman will be gone at the deadline. Maybe Lander, although they don’t have a roster hole for him and one would think if they made one, it would be Arco back here.

Injuries will hold more sway than the Barons’ playoff hopes. And the state of mind of the Big League team.

36. The Great One says:

Lake Erie wins in a shootout.

Worth noting:

Lander -1

Klefbom -2

Musil -3

The Great One:
    Lake Erie wins in a shootout.

Worth noting:

Lander -1

Klefbom -2

Musil -3

plus minus: the stat that means so little is laughable.

Nurse has a goal tonight. 56GP, 12-33-45 +5

39. The Great One says:

Giving up more than you get at evens is always meaningful…no matter how you want to measure it.

40. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: plus minus: the stat that means so little is laughable.

I agree that +/- alone doesn’t mean much without fenwick and close corsi. But some people sure hang Yak out on this stat. Not mentioning any names.

41. wheatnoil says:

The Great One:

Have we really gotten to the point that you’re trolling about an OKC Baron using single game plus/minus stats? Come on DSF, you’re better than this.

Anton Lander has a long history of not doing enough at the NHL level and even at the AHL level. I’m, personally, pretty excited about his offensive progress lately and am hopeful he can become a genuine bottom 6 NHL-er some day, but the more appropriate counter point you should be making is whether this recent progress is a true improvement in production or just a random upswing as a result of small sample sizes. Providing evidence one way or the other would advance the discussion and be quite helpful.

I’m not as optimistic as Woodguy and his 2nd line centre business, but I do believe he’s done enough this year at the AHL level (and especially over the last 20 games or so) to get a legitimate shot at 4C with someone other than Gazdic on his wing. Lander-Smyth-Hendricks would be an interesting 4-line. If the Oilers insist on playing Hendricks on the 3-line, then Lander-Smyth-Jones wouldn’t be terrible either. That might be enough to be a 4-line that is more than a ‘non-factor’ offensively.

Also, yes, I agree, Toffoli is a great talent. It would be great if the Oilers could pick him up.

Simpson scored tonight, as it happened.

43. The Great One says:

wheatnoil,

I’m not sure that playing Lander 5-6 minutes a night on the 4th line will tell you very much no matter who his line mates are.

If anyone gets a shot at C in the remainder of the season I would think Arcobello would be a better choice since he has shown some offence in the NHL.

While I agree that using single game +- doesn’t tell you much, it is no more of a reach that trumpeting Lander’s performance in a single game where he had 3 SOG and scored on 2 of them.

66% shooting percentages are normally not very sustainable.

44. spoiler says:

The Great One: However, Gillis is on record as recently as this past week saying he will not ask any player to waive his NTC since he believes that would be a re-negotiation of the signed contract.
    The player would have to approach Gillis for a trade.

45. jp says:

wheatnoil:

46. The Great One says:

spoiler: This might endear him to the players, but if I’m the owner, statements like that encourage me to check the ranks of the unemployed to see if there’s a good replacement manager available.

I’m not sure how negotiable integrity is in the Canucks head office.

We’ll see.

47. Caramel Obvious says:

Who is Alexander Popov? The Oilers should sign him.

48. wheatnoil says:

The Great One:
    wheatnoil,

Agreed, though I’m not sure the Oilers do.

jp: Agreed that Lander is unlikely to fill the 2C (NHL) role any time soon, but the sustained offense he’s brought since last year has him looking like a legit 3rd liner. Honestly, 4th line may be selling him short. Lander-Gordon-Hemsky could be a nice looking 3rd line this season or next. All good defensive players, some real offense, 2 PKers, 2 guys who can win draws. There’s a lot to like there, at least in theory.

If that offence is real, then he may have legitimate 3rd line potential, I agree. It’s just that the Oilers play their Gordon line with extremely severe D-zone starts and that’s a tough place for Lander to get thrown into. I wouldn’t want him to be put in a position to fail. Then again, Gordon managed to do reasonably well with Pitlick on his wing in a game or two earlier this year. If Lander could hold is own on Gordon’s wing later this year, that would certainly tell us something about his progress. DSF’s point about 5-6 minutes a night not being a great sample size to tell us much is a valid one. Doesn’t give the Oilers much of a chance to determine if his new-found offence carries to the NHL.

Also, having extra centers in the line-up playing wing is what I thought MacT would be doing more of when creating this roster.

49. The Great One says:

Anton Lander has played 79 NHL games and has scored 7 points.

How that translates into him being a legit 3rd liner baffles me.

There are scores of players who have been able to produce in the AHL and never pissed a drop in the NHL.

Lander is currently 27th in AHL scoring behind such luminaries as Ben Street, Pascal Pelletier and Markus Granlund.

I think giving him one more shot at producing in the NHL is likely a wise move but gifting him #3C when Boyd Gordon and Matt Hendricks are already in the mix wouldn’t seem very smart.

Problem is, his ELC is expiring and he hasn’t done enough in the past 3 years to earn a one way contract.

So, what do you do?

50. Caramel Obvious says:

I see that he’s an old man. He sure seems to fit in at Olympic speed.

51. spoiler says:

I think we are being far too optimistic on Lander here. I like the arrows a lot, good for Lander, but the reality is it took a lot of AHL games for him to find his offense at that level and it is a bit much to expect the offense will come more quickly at the NHL level. Took Horc two years on the 4th line and a lot of those minutes were spent at LW. Lander is already in his 23 yo year… are they going to invest two more years in him in the Bigs waiting for him to blossom?

I hope he gets a look-see as this is probably Last Chance Texaco for Lander, but I wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed if he doesn’t.

52. spoiler says:

The Great One: Anton Lander has played 79 NHL games and has scored 7 points.
    How that translates into him being a legit 3rd liner baffles me.
    So, what do you do?

It pains me greatly, but I have to agree with all of this. Sorry read it after I posted.

53. spoiler says:

The Great One: The player would have to approach Gillis for a trade.

Requesting a trade from Gillis has meant sweet fuck all for the players too.

There, I feel better about my agreement on Lander now. The forces of Good and Evil are balanced once again.

54. The Great One says:

spoiler: Requesting a trade from Gillis has meant sweet fuck all for the players too.

There, I feel better about my agreement on Lander now.

I assume you’re referring to Luongo.

Lord knows, Gillis tried but that contract he negotiated with Strombone bit him in this ass.

I expect he has a few more of those to come.

55. wheatnoil says:

spoiler:

56. The Great One says:

wheatnoil: If they could resign him to a one year contract, I wouldn’t mind that if Lander would take it. If Lander refuses a two-way, but would agree to a one year, one-way contract for less than a million (let’s say $850K, so if they bury him in the AHL, it doesn’t count against the cap) plus he’d be waiver eligible. Is that reasonable? Would you do it if you were the Oilers? Would you do it if you were Lander?

Wouldn’t Lander and his agent look at the long term prospects?

If the Oilers were to move Gagner but draft a centre, it would seem Lander’s NHL prospects with the Oilers would be severely limited.

If I was betting, I would think he’ll return to Sweden for a much bigger pay cheque.

57. spoiler says:

I think there are a lot of creative ways to set up that contract and if the organization and the player are both willing, they will find a way. But if he can’t crack the varsity squad next year, he’s a goner. Certainly the 2C and 3C talk seem a huge stretch at this point. I’m guessing some of that talk is happening because Gagner is traded in many commentor’s minds, but I haven’t heard a single rumour thus far that makes me think MacT would pull the trigger on that deal.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 26m
    Oilers prospect @Landie51 continues torrid pace. Scores twice, adds assist in 5-4 SO loss to Lake Erie. Lander has 5-9-14 last 8 GP

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 32m
    Sam Reinhart, top three pick for 2014 NHL Draft picks up 1-1-2 in 5-2 Kootenay win over Brandon. He now has 15-19-34 in 14 GP since WJC

Wow. 34pts in 14gms is unreal.

59. AZOIL says:

I kind of like all the speed and finesse with the bigger ice at the Olympics. Maybe this has been talked about before, but didn’t the nhl consider changing to bigger ice? What are everyone’s thoughts on this? Is it considered “more fun to watch” or not?

I’m sure the loss of seats/revenue means it likely would never happen but man you would think our oilers would be a beneficery if it did! Hall would gobble up all that space!

AZOIL:

Its only good at the Olympics because its best on best.

Add in all the marginal players and it becomes watching paint dry.

Trapping is standard in all big ice leagues from what I’ve read and there is almost no antidote.

Add in NHL owners having to retro fit rinks and eliminate some of the most expensive seats and its gets categorized in the “never happen” file.

The Great One: Wouldn’t Lander and his agent look at the long term prospects?

If Oilers move out Gagner there is not NHL team with less C’s than the Oilers and therefore they are Lander’s best bet for a NHL job (if the team still believes in him)

Drafting a kid won’t change that.

Also,

NHL minimum of US$550M (is it going to $600K next year?) is higher than most SEL salaries.

He’d have to get a KHL contract to do better in terms of $.

62. Suntory Hanzo says:

Plus minus can be wildly strange. In looking at Yakupov’s comparisons to being a ‘Bure lite’. Check out Pavel’s plus minus. Special note to difference betwixt 1993 and 1994

Side note… Left Abbotsford for Portland for the weekend for my sisters wedding ( got married at Voodoo donut) and as I don’t have cable at home I watch everything online through my computer or my gbox. So… Excited to get back to the hotel and watch NBC Olympics. And if not, hey, have the cbc app and streaming.

Oh wait… NBC only shows Olympics at night at half the time it is interviewing american athletes. And oh ya… CBC not fucking available in your area.

Hearing now that many folks down hear are paying for ip addresses in canada just for Olympics. The real Brian Williams would be proud.

63. AZOIL says:

Ya I figured owners would never agree, I didnt think about the best on best aspect of it, good point.

Woodguy: Its only good at the Olympics because its best on best.

Add in all the marginal players and it becomes watching paint dry.

Suntory Hanzo:
    Plus minus can be wildly strange.In looking at Yakupov’s comparisons to being a ‘Bure lite’. Check out Pavel’s plus minus. Special note to difference betwixt 1993 and 1994

NBC, a 10 year partner with the NHL and station that owns the rights to the Olympics this year didn’t play the USA/RUS game live and went withe weekend edition of the Today show and local programming.

Crazy.

65. AZOIL says:

I hate it down here, I cant stand Bob Costas and was kind if happy he got an eye infection. They show hardly any curling either, next to hockey and speed skating I love watching the good’ol strategic game of curling.

How can I get a CAN ip address? Can I use my parents?

Suntory Hanzo:

66. Gerta Rauss says:

AZOIL:

How can I get a CAN ip address? Can I use my parents?

I was wondering what was going on with Bob Costas’ eye

67. jp says:

The Great One: Anton Lander has played 79 NHL games and hasscored 7 points.

How that translates into him being a legit 3rd liner baffles me.

I think giving him one more shot at producing in the NHL is likely a wise move but gifting him #3C when Boyd Gordon and Matt Hendricks are already in the mixwouldn’t seem very smart.

So, what do you do?

Lander is 27th in AHL scoring because he’s only played 34 games. He’s 5th in AHL PPG (>30GP). Good bet that translates into 3rd line offense at some point. You and everyone else know he shouldn’t have been in the NHL 2 yrs ago and was played with just about the worst linemates possible. Check the WOWY with his most common wingers Eager and Petrell (http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1534&withagainst=true&season=2011-12&sit=5v5). He wasn’t able to carry them as a rookie, but it sure doesn’t look like he was the weakest link.

Maybe the offense never will translate to the NHL, but there’s lots of good players who didn’t score as rookies playing on the 4th line (Joe Thornton comes to mind as the most extreme example). What’s he played, 5 of those 79 games above the 4th line? He needs a real chance with actual NHL players before being written off.

I was suggesting TRYING him at 3LW by the way, not gifting him Gordon’s 3C spot (I was using that new fangled LW-C-RW notation). He’s got a defensive conscience and a bunch of other traits you’d like from a 3rd liner, and last time I checked the Oilers could use an upgrade at that spot. It’s not too hard to imagine him being better than Hendricks in the near future.

To answer your final question, I’d give him a 1-way contract for 1M. Hell, I’d give him 2 or 3 years at 1M per. I think he’s done enough to pencil in at 4C or a depth role at worst, and there’s a good chance he’ll give you more. Obviously a 2-way deal is better if he’ll take it, but I’d have no problem with a 1-way if needed.

68. Suntory Hanzo says:

AZOIL,

There are free services like ‘hotspotshield’ that obscure the ip.

I use it occasionally to use US netflix or SNL sketches on NBC.com

69. stevezie says:

Not to take anything away from Lander, whgo is earning his buzz, but I am surprised so little is being made of Arcobello’s seven points in three AHL games. Is it sample size? That’s still pretty cool.

70. stephen sheps says:

Good morning everyone,

I woke up in time to catch the 2nd and 3rd period (still in progress) of the RUS/SVK game. A surprising 0-0 game so far. Laco, the Slovakian goalie has been wonderful, but the main reason I’m bothering to post is because of how good Marincin has looked this morning. His gap control is impressive and he wins more battles than he loses, particularly along the wall. He’s also being trusted in a PK2 role, which was rather nice to see.

Also, Belov = good. No need to rehash what was said yesterday. He knows how to play hockey, that is all I shall say on the matter.

Agreed, Stephen. Both defenders excellent.

72. stephen sheps says:

This game has been a bit crazy to watch. At EV, the Slovaks are just clogging the middle of the ice and it’s giving the Russian players fits. The shot clock is heavily tilted in Russia’s favour, but 4 consecutive Russian PPs in the 3rd is the only reason for it. Laco looks like Scrivens against the Sharks. The real question is: Where has this Slovakian team been all tournament? They’re not great, but at least today they’re making in interesting. Let’s see what happens in OT

Edit: Marincin getting ice time in OT. This is good news.

73. skidplate says:

That is kind if a personal question and I do not know what it has to do with hockey.

VanOil: I want them to enjoy there work

Pouzar: Honestly I have no idea…I just checked out the highlights here,

No way Chase is 6″ right?

74. skidplate says:

That being said, that is an average size. No?

75. WeridAl says:

Simpson doesn’t bring anything the Oilers are already loaded with. He’s not physical, no big shot, and his skating is well below NHL caliber. Davidson’s play of late should kill any chance of the Oilers signing Simpson. Musil is a monster in the D, skating still needs work, but his skating is better than Simpsons. Musil also brings that grit and size their D needs. I find it odd that you Alan is pushing for Simpson, when it’s a well known fact about his poor skating, and it hasn’t improved that much to warrant a signing.

76. Bonvie says:

Yeah craig Simpson wasn’t a good skater either but one could argue that his 31 points in the 1990 Stanley Cup Playoffs brought the Oilers their 5th cup. Simpson also has the NHL’ s highest career shooting %.

The older Simpson and the younger Simpson also have another thing in common which I’m sure judging by your comments you wouldn’t put much value in and that is intelligence both on and off the ice.

I cannot comment on wether the younger Simpson shares the older Simpsons competitiveness as I have not seen him play enough, but the old man was one of my favourites always drawing penalties and competing hard in all areas of the ice especially in front of the net.