HEMSKY’S HOLLER

I wrote about this earlier at Oilers Nation and it’s been mentioned other places too. The Edmonton Oilers would be wise to hold on to Ales Hemsky, providing they can get him signed to a reasonable deal. Hemsky’s Olympic numbers from Extra Skater are here.

The argument against signing Hemsky at the beginning of the year revolved around Yakupov’s struggles. The young man is learning his lessons now and 83 is still here. Last time the idea of trading the Czech came up, Kevin Lowe (based on all we know) stepped up ahead of the GM and signed the man to a two-year deal.

Please may we have another two years? Lower terms. Sign the man. Hemsky’s no holler guy, but today’s performance could be heard all the way to Edmonton.

Sign the man.

30 Responses to "HEMSKY’S HOLLER"

1. misfit says:

Hear, hear!

2. russ99 says:

Agree, but does Ales really want to come back here to play a third line role on a potentially non-playoff team next year (pending drastic changes by MacT this summer) when he could really break out offensively with the right team?

Alas, it seems all he really did today was raise his trade value this weekend, and his potential salary this summer.

3. VanOil says:

Sign the man. 3 years 10 million.

4. misfit says:

That’s the key point, IMO. I think it’s definitely in the Oilers’ best interest to re-sign Hemsky to a more cap-friendly deal than his current contract, but a new contract still needs two signatures on it.

Hemsky is unrestricted, and may not want to be here next year.

Of course, when you hear things on the networks about how the Oilers would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him, it’s hard to imagine those same teams being willing to outbid Edmonton for his services on July 1.

5. VanOil says:

Tavares has a knee injury, done for Olympics. Are NYI back in the lottery pick hunt? 26th and failing.

6. hags9k says:

If Hemsky signs here again, even his harshest critics such as myself will have to regard him as one of the most loyal players we’ve ever had. I just imagine that he feels there is more icetime, more wins, more money and better weather waiting for him somewhere else. If we can’t get good value in trade, ie another good NHL player, then we have to try and sign him. But is he ready for a change…I would guess yes.

7. HiddenDarts says:

That CZE-USA game was such an amazing showcase of what Hemsky can do. I wasn’t sure if he was a forward or a defenseman – all I knew was that he was EVERYWHERE!

And hey… I love me some Oilers. But this bird’s got to fly. It’s awful for the Oil, of course, but Hemsky deserves it. Seeing as we may have 2-3 more years before we even whiff the playoffs, I just don’t see a great reason for him to stay.

Trade him to the Bruins. Or the Hawks. Somewhere he’ll win a cup.

Free Hemsky now!

8. Gerta Rauss says:

I agree with the point that has been made- I’m not certain Hemsky wants to sign here again. I think he was prepared to move on last summer, not sure where his head is at now.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d prefer to move on.

9. RexLibris says:

Seconded.

2 years, at around $3 million a year. It is likely an overpay, but as insurance against injury and someone who can slide up and down the lineup and switch from RW to LW, it probably has to be done.

Allows time to develop replacements internally, reduces the number of roster holes that need immediate tending, and if someone with some size could be added to the opposite wing it could provide some puck possession balance to the roster.

10. RBB says:

russ99,

If Hemsky did not want to be here, he would not be here.
    Although it is true that our club has been in a poor negotiating position with him in years past, it is still clear that he has wanted to remain in Edmonton – there has been no indication that that has changed.

11. Ducey says:

“If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they’re yours; if they don’t they never were.”

-Richard Bach

In other words, trade Hemsky, then try and sign him in the off season.

12. gcw_rocks says:

I think perhaps it is time to let him move on.

13. gcw_rocks says:

I am curious, if we assume Hemsky is about a 40 point / yr player, who are the comparables you would use as a basis for a new contract?

14. admiralmark says:

One cannot say they should sign him without at least 2 questions answered first.
    1) How much does he want and at what term?
    2) What specifically is being offered by other GM’s?
    Since we don’t have the answer to either of these questions i can’t make an arguement either way. Another question is does he want to remain here knowing his role will be 3rd liner? Depending on all these answers there may be no choice but to get what you can for him?

15. Ducey says:

Hemsky’s pp/g the last 5 years:

09/101.00
    10/110.89
    11/120.52
    12/130.52
    13/140.46

09/10: Only played 22 games, played on the top line and lead the team in PPTOI/G
    10/11: Another shortened season (47 games). Still lead the team in PPTOI/G, but played on a 2nd line (according to ESTOI/G) with Penner and Gagner.
    11/12: Played mostly with Gagner and Hall, but dropped to 7th among forwards in PPTOI/G (2nd unit)
    12/13: 5th on the team in PPTOI/G (forwards) and played on the 2nd line with Gagner and Yakupov
    13/14: Currently 6th among Oilers in PPTOI/G and has been playing mostly with Gordon and Smyth on the 3rd line.

It looks to me like the drop in production happened right around the same time Eberle came aboard and they bumped him onto the 2nd PP unit.

17. Dipstick says:

I wonder if the Oil paid half (the max) of Hemsky’s salary, they could get a first or a very good prospect. Trying to get a roster player from a team looking for a rental is probably not going to work. I very much appreciate Hemsky’s contribution, but a trade might be the best for both parties.

18. hoser313 says:

gcw_rocks:

Valtteri Filppula. $4M.

Kris Versteeg. $4.6M.

Talented guys who can play anywhere on the top 3 lines. I think that’s the market folks.

We’re also forgetting Hemsky has one thing most Oilers don’t have…PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE!!!

Man did Hemsky ever crush it at the Olympics while averaging only 12:01 in TOI/G. Thanks for the link, LT.

19. HiddenDarts says:

hoser313: Valtteri Filppula.$4M.

Kris Versteeg.$4.6M.

Talented guys who can play anywhere on the top 3 lines.I think that’s the market folks.

Those are the comparables, folks. We should probably stop with this 2@$3 million BS right now.

If he does accept that, he’s leaving at least $1.5 million on the table. And if he does that, well, what can I say? He’s either an Oiler believer or a not very smart guy.

I’m doubting the latter.

20. hunter1909 says:

Hemsky’s a 40 point forward.

Hemsky has a contract paying him 4 or 5 million, which in a cap world is better spent elsewhere by competent managers(see other teams in the league for proof).

Hemsky’s provided the hard core fans the only real offense(pre Hall draft) since 2001.

Hemsky appears to still “have it” to these hard core fans, who refuse to accept the fact he’s not performing anywhere near to his contracts, and therefore needs to go.

21. hunter1909 says:

Ducey:
    Hemsky’s pp/g the last 5 years:

09/101.00
    10/110.89
    11/120.52
    12/130.52
    13/140.46

Hemsky’s actual point totals for the past 5 years:

08/09 23 43 66
    09/10 7 15 22
    10/11 14 24 42
    11/12 10 26 36
    12/13 9 11 20

I’d be tempted to bet that many of the paltry 60 odd goals he’s scored didn’t contribute much to the team winning, either. Give the guy a break and trade him to the Wings.

22. hunter1909 says:

HiddenDarts: He’s either an Oiler believer or a not very smart guy.

You’re repeating yourself.

23. spoiler says:

LT’s “if” above–if he can be signed to a reasonable deal–is a massive IF. And I would expect MacT and Hemsky’s agent already know the answer to that question.

I have no idea what that answer is, but I suspect that spending the season sailing the doldrums of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch hasn’t helped much.

My guess is Hemsky and Larsen to Pittsburgh for their 2014 1st, and we may have to retain part of Hemmer’s salary to help Pitt out for the remaining month.

Sorry, LMHF#1.

24. justDOit says:

Well it seems that this might be a good thing (Scrivens’ new mask).

25. Ryan says:

spoiler:
    LT’s “if” above–if he can be signed to a reasonable deal–is a massive IF.And I would expect MacT and Hemsky’s agent already know the answer to that question.

wow. that would be a good deal for us.

26. Ryan says:

justDOit:
    Well it seems that this might be a good thing (Scrivens’ new mask).

I hope Scrivens signs here.

27. justDOit says:

Ryan,

That’s nuthin – I hopetey-hope-hope.

28. spoiler says:

Ryan: wow. that would be a good deal for us.

I don’t think it is such a mismatch of a trade. Hemsky is allegedly worth at least a 2nd and defensemen always have value at the deadline. Pitt has lost Letang for the rest of the season and Larsen brings a little of what Letang brings offensively. Throw in retaining salary and the fact that 1st isn’t much better than a good 2nd and maybe it can get done.

And that would cheaper for Pitt than going after Vanek or Moulson.

29. HiddenDarts says:

hunter1909: You’re repeating yourself.

Touché. Or is that douché?

30. gcw_rocks says:

hoser313,

Filppula is on pace for a 60 point season. Not sure that is a fair comparison for where Hemsky is.

Versteeg is a good comparable based on his points, but he got that money on the back of a 50 point season and is clearly overpaid.

I would think Hemsky would come under both of them.